***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 399 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4644Likes

post #11941 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
Calibrating any tv with local dimming it is standard practice to calibrate with dimming zones turned off. This is done due to the nature of how dimming works. When you are viewing content the zones are lit up and that is when you will notice the advantage of an accurate grey scale. You won't find any calibrations done with dimming zones turned on you may find some that turned them on after calibration to confirm but as buzz and goooger have stated several times calibrations should be done with dimming off.
My very own calibration was done with dimming off and I assure you it looks amazing
Gotcha. I assumed it was one of those situations where you want to calibrate while using the settings you watch with. I'll try those settings out, then. I assume you only calibrate brightness with dimming on, then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11942 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by scitek View Post
Gotcha. I assumed it was one of those situations where you want to calibrate while using the settings you watch with. I'll try those settings out, then. I assume you only calibrate brightness with dimming on, then?
Yes. You want to measure your peak output to match desired output with dimming on. If you plan to use clear action then you will need to calibrate with CA on since it does alter grey scale slightly. So basically other than dimming turned off you want to calibrate with the settings you will be using.
post #11943 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Microcenter sent me an ad stating a special coupon code for a p70 for $1899. There were other brands listed too. PM me if anyone wants to try it. It's only good till 1/28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11944 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I have an old Vizio (XVT473SV) FALD (160 zones) and am not moving to the P's (maybe to the R65) but I am curious. I have the 103D, love the way it works with my current screen, outside of the Darbee, how do you like how it works with the P70?
I bought the Oppo BPD-103D AFTER I bought the P70. I had planned on just continuing using my BDP-95, but wasn't completely happy with Vizio's upscaling to 4k and thought maybe the 103D upscaling would help. So I can tell you that going from the 95 to the 103D was pretty amazing with the 4k output and the upscaling happening on the Oppo instead of the P70. It was a big improvement to my eyes over the 95 on the P70 at least.

Now, what I didn't do was take the 103D and plug it into my old Samsung 61" DLP (750 series) that is now in the basement now that we have the wall hung P70. I did move the 95 down there, but I've not tried the 103D on a 1080P set to see if the difference between the 103D on 1080P DLP versus 4k P70. Too much work to un-cable and carry down there, so apologies for not being able to tell you how big of a difference it would make... my gut says the difference would be pretty remarkable for you through as the 103D seems to do wonderfully with or without Darbee on the 4k P70.

Hope that was semi-useful information for you.
venus933 likes this.
post #11945 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazvon View Post
I bought the Oppo BPD-103D AFTER I bought the P70. I had planned on just continuing using my BDP-95, but wasn't completely happy with Vizio's upscaling to 4k and thought maybe the 103D upscaling would help. So I can tell you that going from the 95 to the 103D was pretty amazing with the 4k output and the upscaling happening on the Oppo instead of the P70. It was a big improvement to my eyes over the 95 on the P70 at least.

Now, what I didn't do was take the 103D and plug it into my old Samsung 61" DLP (750 series) that is now in the basement now that we have the wall hung P70. I did move the 95 down there, but I've not tried the 103D on a 1080P set to see if the difference between the 103D on 1080P DLP versus 4k P70. Too much work to un-cable and carry down there, so apologies for not being able to tell you how big of a difference it would make... my gut says the difference would be pretty remarkable for you through as the 103D seems to do wonderfully with or without Darbee on the 4k P70.

Have you tried to compare if upscaling 1080 text equals the crisp text on a native 4k pc?
post #11946 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah123 View Post
Googer's settings already have it turned off. Any idea why tv looks ok but movies are different? Any other settings within Googer's set up that could take care of what I am seeing?
Got it figured out. My CalDark settings did not transfer when watching Netflix. When I checked them after selecting a movie, CalDark settings had SME turned on to medium. I edited the settings and then saved. All is good now. Thanks everyone for the help.
post #11947 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does any have a link to (or can copy/paste) calibration settings for the p502ui-b1 with firmware 1.1.16 ?

My forum searches are turning up good results, but not this model with newest firmware.

Any help appreciated.

(Crossposting from p-series calibration forum)
post #11948 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Got it figured out. My CalDark settings did not transfer when watching Netflix. When I checked them after selecting a movie, CalDark settings had SME turned on to medium. I edited the settings and then saved. All is good now. Thanks everyone for the help.
You didn't rename Cal Dark did you? I believe that changes the way the dimming algorithm is used in the default Cal dark setting. Just don't want you to have settings thinking they're performing one was and acting another. Good to see you solved the problem.
post #11949 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMINENT1 View Post
Have you tried to compare if upscaling 1080 text equals the crisp text on a native 4k pc?
I have not actually plugged a PC (or one my Mac Book Pro's in my case) into the P70. On the Oppo 103D the only text I've seen is that which is on a Blu Ray and on Apple TV. Apple TV plugged into HDMI Input on the 103D looks great with the bit of text I saw on it, but again, I've not tried surfing the web or any such thing at 4k. I should probably try that and see how things look.

I'm thinking about putting the TiVo Romio Pro through the 103D as well since I have two HDMI inputs on it. Romio is direct to the P70 at the moment on HDMI 4 and of course the P70 is doing the upscaling there. I should probably do that sooner than later actually. Hrmph.

Another thing I was surprised by was Cars on DVD which the kids wanted to watch. It was pretty amazing to see what 480 scaled up to 4k looked like; though it was animation, so not quite "real world" but definitely way better than a DVD on a 1080P set. The 103D was doing that upscaling.

Funny thing is that with my setup our audio is crap now, but our picture is pretty dang nice. But one of the reasons we decided to get something now instead of later was to get the media stand for the DLP and the front tower speakers, front presence speakers, two subwoofers, surrounds, surround backs out of the living room with the 3 kids 4-years and under all touching them and pulling on them. Went with the wall mounted P70 with the Vizio SB5451 mounted directly underneath, and then the single subwoofer and surrounds behind the couch.
post #11950 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzer View Post
You didn't rename Cal Dark did you? I believe that changes the way the dimming algorithm is used in the default Cal dark setting.

Someone stated that they didn't think that was true after the update (that Calibrated Dark has a different dimming algorithm).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #11951 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Someone stated that they didn't think that was true after the update (that Calibrated Dark has a different dimming algorithm).
It still is actually but the difference is less noticeable due to the lack of halo'ing no matter what mode you now use. Minimum backlight level (short of when the set turns them off altogether on full-field black) is still much lower in Cal Dark than other modes...
bidzer likes this.
post #11952 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I dont know if you or others are aware of this or not but the tv has built in color filters. In order to enable these go into settings and open the CMS (the one with red,green,blue,cyan,magenta and yellow) highlight say red and click ok. This will filter out red. This can be used to help line up color for those of you that are not using a meter.
Super Kyle, Many thanks for this great tip! I will give it a try.
post #11953 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
Quote:

Quote:
I have not actually plugged a PC (or one my Mac Book Pro's in my case) into the P70. On the Oppo 103D the only text I've seen is that which is on a Blu Ray and on Apple TV. Apple TV plugged into HDMI Input on the 103D looks great with the bit of text I saw on it, but again, I've not tried surfing the web or any such thing at 4k. I should probably try that and see how things look.

I'm thinking about putting the TiVo Romio Pro through the 103D as well since I have two HDMI inputs on it. Romio is direct to the P70 at the moment on HDMI 4 and of course the P70 is doing the upscaling there. I should probably do that sooner than later actually. Hrmph.

Another thing I was surprised by was Cars on DVD which the kids wanted to watch. It was pretty amazing to see what 480 scaled up to 4k looked like; though it was animation, so not quite "real world" but definitely way better than a DVD on a 1080P set. The 103D was doing that upscaling.

Funny thing is that with my setup our audio is crap now, but our picture is pretty dang nice. But one of the reasons we decided to get something now instead of later was to get the media stand for the DLP and the front tower speakers, front presence speakers, two subwoofers, surrounds, surround backs out of the living room with the 3 kids 4-years and under all touching them and pulling on them. Went with the wall mounted P70 with the Vizio SB5451 mounted directly underneath, and then the single subwoofer and surrounds behind the couch.
Very useful, thanks for the reply. I've been very happy with the Oppo / Vizio combination on 1080p first with a BDP-83 and now with the 103D, was curious if they kept their game up on the step up to 4K.

Sounds like they did. My condolences on losing sound while your kids grow - I understand, my kids killed two players for me while they were toddlers.

Now in college, so they are only killing my wallet, and the 7.2 system is back out causing a ruckus.

Thanks again.
post #11954 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamedev123 View Post
Does any have a link to (or can copy/paste) calibration settings for the p502ui-b1 with firmware 1.1.16 ?

My forum searches are turning up good results, but not this model with newest firmware.

Any help appreciated.

(Crossposting from p-series calibration forum)

I haven't seen anyone post updated .16 firmware calibration yet for the 50. At least not in this thread. I haven't checked the calibration thread though.
post #11955 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Very useful, thanks for the reply. I've been very happy with the Oppo / Vizio combination on 1080p first with a BDP-83 and now with the 103D, was curious if they kept their game up on the step up to 4K.

Sounds like they did. My condolences on losing sound while your kids grow - I understand, my kids killed two players for me while they were toddlers.

Now in college, so they are only killing my wallet, and the 7.2 system is back out causing a ruckus.

Thanks again.
I was only lurking on this convo but it was very helpful for me to as I was wondering if it was worth getting something like an Oppo for my new p70 since I really know nothing about this kind of stuff. I think I will order the 103D now
post #11956 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzer View Post
You didn't rename Cal Dark did you? I believe that changes the way the dimming algorithm is used in the default Cal dark setting. Just don't want you to have settings thinking they're performing one was and acting another. Good to see you solved the problem.
I did save the settings using Movies as my new name when I was in the Netflix environment. I then exited Netflix to see if Cal Dark settings were still per Googer's settings and they were spot on. Hope I did not mess up. If so, let me know. If I understand things correctly, I can reboot Cal Dark to factory... Yes?
post #11957 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkendelight View Post
I was only lurking on this convo but it was very helpful for me to as I was wondering if it was worth getting something like an Oppo for my new p70 since I really know nothing about this kind of stuff. I think I will order the 103D now
Unless you are really looking to spend money if I was you I would wait and get an oppo 4k player. They are not cheap and if you buy one now you are basically immediately going to lose a bunch of money trying to resell when 4k players are out.
post #11958 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Unless you are really looking to spend money if I was you I would wait and get an oppo 4k player. They are not cheap and if you buy one now you are basically immediately going to lose a bunch of money trying to resell when 4k players are out.
Thanks for the heads up! If I am mostly looking for the picture improvements mentioned with the 4k scale upscaling (from directv genie box mainly) would you still sit tight or is there a different product out there that handles that without disc player part? The two main things I do on my p70 is watch downloaded or streamed movies and watch DirecTV. I think the picture as is, is great but I am always interested in getting the best picture possible
post #11959 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
P65 here with 1.1.14

Everything looks fantastic on my set however, three times now since I bought it in mid November it has logged me out of Netflix and Hulu. Very annoying having to re-enter my login info.

Anybody else have this issue?
post #11960 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
I did save the settings using Movies as my new name when I was in the Netflix environment. I then exited Netflix to see if Cal Dark settings were still per Googer's settings and they were spot on. Hope I did not mess up. If so, let me know. If I understand things correctly, I can reboot Cal Dark to factory... Yes?
All you need to do is go back to Calibrated Dark (which should be at factory settings since you saved them) and re-enter the basic and 'More Picture' settings. The Color Tuner stuff, since it's per color-temperature (i.e., 'Normal') doesn't need to be re-done. But yes, even w/ 1.1.16, the behavior of not being able to save a customized Calibrated Dark profile still applies, though the difference between Calibrated Dark and other modes is less obvious now than it had been with the different dimming scheme used across the board (the only difference is how much dimmer black zones will be when the set isn't turning them off entirely).
bidzer likes this.
post #11961 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr250 View Post
Are all the screen sizes in P series the same type of semi-matte? The Costco 70" was pretty matte. I like the glossy look, personally. At BB, they had a 55" I think, which looked glossier or at least, semi-gloss. Maybe the lighting is better in BB, but the Costco unit didn't look all that great.
Anyone care to address this? Are all the P series sizes the same type of semi-matte screen?
post #11962 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddingme View Post
P65 here with 1.1.14

Everything looks fantastic on my set however, three times now since I bought it in mid November it has logged me out of Netflix and Hulu. Very annoying having to re-enter my login info.

Anybody else have this issue?
I have had that happen at least a couple of times since I purchased it in early October. I think it is a Netflix App thing. I have had that happen on my Android devices. It could be that the app is being updated and that may erase the login info. It's a pain but only happens once in awhile. And I am direct connected via Ethernet.
post #11963 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Anyone care to address this? Are all the P series sizes the same type of semi-matte screen?
My P60 screen is semi-matte. I would say that yes, probably all the sizes of the P series will have the semi matte screen.

The P55 is a different panel then the other sizes from what I've read, so maybe the P55 screen is an outlier and will have a glossier finish.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
------------------
Vizio P602ui-B3
Vizio PQ65-F1

Last edited by terryscott621; 01-22-2015 at 12:58 PM.
post #11964 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
They are all matte screens I believe as Vizio wanted to reduce glare on the screens.
post #11965 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkendelight View Post
Thanks for the heads up! If I am mostly looking for the picture improvements mentioned with the 4k scale upscaling (from directv genie box mainly) would you still sit tight or is there a different product out there that handles that without disc player part? The two main things I do on my p70 is watch downloaded or streamed movies and watch DirecTV. I think the picture as is, is great but I am always interested in getting the best picture possible
I do not own one myself as they are too expensive for me to afford. I'm not completely sure they upscale anything except the Blu-ray Disc. Like I said I do not own one so I have no idea but I would research that before spending the money expecting the oppo to upscale the direct tv. Still if I was you I would still wait for the 4k version as the upscale may be slightly better but not $599 better. Heck for that price you may consider getting an OLED tv and be done haha.
post #11966 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Size aside, is there a consensus on which panel is better: the 60" (sharp) or the 65" (AUO)?
post #11967 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Cool P70 Microcenter Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMINENT1 View Post
Microcenter sent me an ad stating a special coupon code for a p70 for $1899. There were other brands listed too. PM me if anyone wants to try it. It's only good till 1/28.

Can you please let me know what the Microcenter code and process is to get the p70 for $1,899. Thx
post #11968 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Reading Googer's comment above about the blooming might have changed the way that changing the calibrated dark name doesn't have as much an impact as it did before, you should be OK. Just wanted to make sure you knew about the previous issue. I wasn't aware things had changed.
post #11969 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDMB View Post
Size aside, is there a consensus on which panel is better: the 60" (sharp) or the 65" (AUO)?

My perception is that there have been more complaints about the P65, mostly due a vertical banding problem. I can tell you that I'm happy with my P60 .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #11970 of 18018 Old 01-22-2015, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDMB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
My perception is that there have been more complaints about the P65, mostly due a vertical banding problem. I can tell you that I'm happy with my P60 .
I agree. I've read more complaints about vertical banding & DSE on the P65 than any other model. Also seen some complaints about light bleed from the edges of the P65. That price right now on the P65 is hard to pass up though.

I am also more than happy with my P60.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
------------------
Vizio P602ui-B3
Vizio PQ65-F1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page