***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 403 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4644Likes

post #12061 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Where are most people setting the sharpness on these tv's after the 1.14 update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12062 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm3 View Post
With this set up, how do you get sound from the PS3? Do you have optical audio out to the AVR? I am currently running everything, including Xbox, through my AVR into HDMI1, for ARC, but I would like to move the Xbox to HDMI5 to get the better lag.

Ah yes, I have optical from the PS3 going to the AVR. But what others have done is run optical from the TV to the AVR instead of using ARC so that they can have everything go to HDMI-5. ARC is limited to the same formats as optical so you aren't missing anything by doing it this way. In fact I may eventually do this myself but my P70 is wall mounted so it's hassle to run the cable.
post #12063 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDMB View Post
Where are most people setting the sharpness on these tv's after the 1.14 update?
I'm setting it to zero and it looks fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12064 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickerm View Post
I'm setting it to zero and it looks fine.
Even with 4k content?
post #12065 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDMB View Post
I have mine set at 50. Games look to soft when the sharpness is set to 0.
post #12066 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 06:08 PM

I'm looking at either the p65 or 70 and can anyone who has seen both tell me if the 70 with its greater number of dimming zones has a noticeably superior picture? It will be hooked up to a dish hopper a PS3/4 and mostly be used for sports and action movies in a light controlled daylight basement.
post #12067 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgross0818 View Post
Thanks for the reply, it's certainly appreciated :]

My other question is: Is there any difference between the P65 and P70 in terms of screen quality? I have the P65 with some vertical banding issues (visible watching golf and football especially) and I'm considering playing the panel lottery and either swapping for another P65, or going for the P70 (if that panel is generally better). The price difference is around $350 or so taking into account the sale prices, I want to make sure it's worth it.
I posted earlier today that I have some vertical banding now on my P70 but really only been noticeable on the start up of Amazon app, a couple spots in BD Avatar, and on the 10% internal grey pattern. But if I turn Active Zones OFF they are gone so I think it's software/FW and not the TV. I asked if anyone had any thoughts and/or confirm its FW but no real reply. Check yours to see if it goes away with it off.
post #12068 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeau View Post
It fixes the sharpness bug and the Clear Action dark box bug. It uses the 1.0.4.1 dimming scheme that makes the dimming/brightening of zones not as apparent, but at the expense of black levels (the backlight no longer turns all the way off with local dimming).
Interesting. You'd think that the system would still recognize letterboxing and still completely turn off the zones that match horizontal or vertical black bar placement. In fact, I'd imagine the zones along the outer edges of the display are precisely configured for horizontal (cinema) and vertical (4:3) black bars.
post #12069 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mits mania View Post
Even with 4k content?
yes I am for 4k as well. The sharpness is artificial to compensate of lack of resolution. definitely shouldn't be needed by high quality high resolution content. If you do want to use it, keep it very low. It adds artifacts to images. Try some test patterns. If you see white edges near the black lines it is set too high. This is adding artificial "enhancement" that shouldn't be needed.
post #12070 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 06:45 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamedev123 View Post
Interesting. You'd think that the system would still recognize letterboxing and still completely turn off the zones that match horizontal or vertical black bar placement. In fact, I'd imagine the zones along the outer edges of the display are precisely configured for horizontal (cinema) and vertical (4:3) black bars.
Is there any way to force it to use the original dimming scheme?
post #12071 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch85 View Post
Outside of paying a professional to calibrate my set, what would you recommend for calibration? Is it best to use someone else's settings or get a calibration disc that can be used by an amateur? Has anyone had success using any particular disc?

I have the P60 with version 1.1.14
Try superkyles settings, the Disney WOW 15.00 or Spears Muncil 2nd edition 30.00 at Amazon are often cited. I have both but have not used them yet. I have experimented with settings made by people who use meters and know what they are doing, when I do use the disc I will probably not mess with the color or grey scale settings. As I said the superkyle settings using the netflix uhd via app produce a superb picture on my set, I am guessing it will on yours also. Using the Disney disk is an inexpensive way to explore or modify settings, and you can always go back to the superkyle, or others if you like. As good as my picture is now I will not be getting a profesional cal. ron
post #12072 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddthomason View Post
Thanks for the insight. I will probably go ahead and order the P70 today for $1999. I am hoping that my super fast internet / Ethernet at 110 Mbps and my DirecTV connection will eliminate some of the speed / connection issues others have written about in the post. I plan on running everything through my Onkyo 636 which has a 4k video upscaler. Do you know if the upscaler in the P70 is superior to or inferior to the Onkyo 636 upscaler?
I use the upscaler of the P70. I would suggest trying each and seeing if you think one is better than the other. I think the upscaling is very good on the P70. In reading the forum I believe most feel similarly. I run my cable and blueray through my AVR. I run my XBox one directly to HDMI 5. I run the AVR to HDMI 1 in order to get ARC. I also have a Minix 8H+ for my 4k and 1080 p player from my server. It will play H264 4k as well as Youtube 4k. Unfortunately, to get it to do that you now have to set the output to 4K 30fps for everything. It looks great but uses the Minix upscaler rather than the P70. I hope soon the Minix will allow pass through. Anyway, great TV.
post #12073 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronton3 View Post
Try superkyles settings, the Disney WOW 15.00 or Spears Muncil 2nd edition 30.00 at Amazon are often cited. I have both but have not used them yet. I have experimented with settings made by people who use meters and know what they are doing, when I do use the disc I will probably not mess with the color or grey scale settings. As I said the superkyle settings using the netflix uhd via app produce a superb picture on my set, I am guessing it will on yours also. Using the Disney disk is an inexpensive way to explore or modify settings, and you can always go back to the superkyle, or others if you like. As good as my picture is now I will not be getting a profesional cal. ron
Thanks for the suggestions. After some research, I was considering getting the WOW disc. I have thought about using Superkyle's settings but it seems odd to me to use settings that were done prior to the release of the latest firmware update. Won't that make a difference?
post #12074 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. After some research, I was considering getting the WOW disc. I have thought about using Superkyle's settings but it seems odd to me to use settings that were done prior to the release of the latest firmware update. Won't that make a difference?
Mine googers and fafrd settings were updated to reflect the new firmware. We all basically started over and re calibrated from scratch. Check the link at the top of the first page. The new settings should state that they are post update.
bidzer likes this.
post #12075 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Superkyle's settings are from the latest firmware release. They've been updated and are looking fantastic
post #12076 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
Mine googers and fafrd settings were updated to reflect the new firmware. We all basically started over and re calibrated from scratch. Check the link at the top of the first page. The new settings should state that they are post update.
Perfect. Thanks so much!!
post #12077 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzer View Post
Superkyle's settings are from the latest firmware release. They've been updated and are looking fantastic
Just did the Disney WOW disc with advanced calibration and the tv looks great. I still see some slight bleeding, but so far it only seems to be when I'm watching HoC on netflix in UHD. I'm not sure I want to risk the fact that I have little to none vertical banding to exchange this for another set. I don't see any bleeding on Star Trek Into Darkness, I'm going to continue "testing" this weekend, as I am on call for work which is always a great excuse to stay home and watch movies all weekend. My wife says the tv is too big, which means I made the right choice.
terryscott621 likes this.
post #12078 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Well my tv just took a crap. Went to turn it on and no picture. It seems the backlight failed. Only a month of owning the replacement. It's not looking good for the longevity of these tvs. The 7-10 business days for a replacement is a little much as well.

Oh and it did start the blinking to a black screen thing yesterday just like someone else posted about. One day later and it's dead.
Hey Brisco the blinking? I think mine did this I guess I will find out tomorrow if I got dead TV. It was blinking on dark scenes and total black looked like backlight was going on and off.
Is this what you experienced?
post #12079 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Anyones corners darker then the rest of the screen? That normal? Both with Local dimming and with it off.
post #12080 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillanatorofstate View Post
Anyones corners darker then the rest of the screen? That normal? Both with Local dimming and with it off.
Not for me, I am watching tons of stuff via my pc running through my receiver and I do not see any bleeding. I feel like the issue is with the netflix app.
post #12081 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdini View Post
Not for me, I am watching tons of stuff via my pc running through my receiver and I do not see any bleeding. I feel like the issue is with the netflix app.
Hmm I am hooked up to pc also, didn't even try netflix yet...

Thinking its normal: http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/p-series

"The gray uniformity is better than the one on the M Series. The edges are significantly darker, but it doesn't exhibit a dirty screen effect."
post #12082 of 18021 Old 01-23-2015, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Lightbulb

You have to login to Amazon, then you will see a special 4K section (tile). Assuming you are on firmware 1.1.14 or higher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post
I tried deleting and reinstalling my Amazon app, but I didn't see any difference. Am I doing something wrong?
post #12083 of 18021 Old 01-24-2015, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes my corners are darker....going back to best buy....p65
post #12084 of 18021 Old 01-24-2015, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarlok13 View Post
Yes my corners are darker....going back to best buy....p65
Going by that Rtings review it seems normal? No? My TV says version 1.0.1 btw, I just tried setting 1080p 120hz on my PC through Nvidia and it makes the text and stuff more blurry, any fix?

Does the update fix that? how do I update?
post #12085 of 18021 Old 01-24-2015, 01:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyv1 View Post
What is PAR 1:1?

"Pixel Aspect Ratio". Some of the resolutions that they use are not 16:9, so sometimes the pixels are not square. All of the video encodes at resolutions of 720p, 1080p and 2160p use square pixels.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #12086 of 18021 Old 01-24-2015, 04:43 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronton3 View Post
...the Disney WOW 15.00 or Spears Muncil 2nd edition 30.00 at Amazon are often cited. I have both but have not used them yet...
I have bought them all. :-) S&M v2, WOW, and Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics. By the far the fastest and what I would say easiest basic setting "tuning" I've done was with the AVS HD 709 FREEbie here on the forums. Though, I didn't realize I could play it on my Oppo through a USB stick, so I ended up buying a Blu Ray burner for my Mac... but that was something I'd been thinking about getting for a while anyway. But they if you only have a DVD burner, a couple of the file formats can burn to DVD something that a lot of the Blu Ray players can read as 1080p even from the DVD, so there ya go.

Quote:
...I have thought about using Superkyle's settings but it seems odd to me to use settings that were done prior to the release of the latest firmware update. Won't that make a difference?
Probably not as much of a difference as you using someone else's calibration settings. On my particular set, I was able to get a better looking picture with no CMS/11pt changes and using the AVSHD709 disc, than I was with Googer or Zmads settings. I still need to try SuperKyle's though and see how things look. Every individual set is probably (I think/guess) more different than what happens when a firmware upgrade occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillanatorofstate View Post
Yes, my corners are sometimes darker ever so slightly. I can't recognize it on uniform patterns which is strange though. But in real content I do notice it sometimes. I never know if it is the show or the set. I wish I didn't notice it, because it really isn't that bad when I take a subjective look at it compared to overall picture quality on my old TV. Then I remind myself, $2000 instead of $3000 or $6000 and I usually don't mind it nearly as much!
post #12087 of 18021 Old 01-24-2015, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Howard View Post
I use the upscaler of the P70. I would suggest trying each and seeing if you think one is better than the other. I think the upscaling is very good on the P70. In reading the forum I believe most feel similarly. I run my cable and blueray through my AVR. I run my XBox one directly to HDMI 5. I run the AVR to HDMI 1 in order to get ARC. I also have a Minix 8H+ for my 4k and 1080 p player from my server. It will play H264 4k as well as Youtube 4k. Unfortunately, to get it to do that you now have to set the output to 4K 30fps for everything. It looks great but uses the Minix upscaler rather than the P70. I hope soon the Minix will allow pass through. Anyway, great TV.
Do you set your AVR to pass-through? What do you have your PS3 output resolution set to? Same for the Xbox?

I noticed that when I set my AVR/PS3 @ 1080p, the picture isn't as good as if I set my AVR to pass-through and the PS3 to 1080i.
post #12088 of 18021 Old 01-24-2015, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
I have the P65 for the next 2 weeks for a friend thats out of town. Picked up at Best Buy while on sale for him. (he is on business trip)

I have tried several posted calibrations and they do make it look better for sure. My issue is the upscaleing is terrible from a 1080 source compared to my Sony.

Is this something Vizio is working on? I mean it is almost not worth watching it is so bad to me.

Viper

Current Sets: Sony XBR65A9F Master Series, Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, TCL 65R617
Previous Sets: Samsung Q9FN, Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C, TCL P-Series (55P607)
post #12089 of 18021 Old 01-24-2015, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
New to AVS Forum so please pardon me if my question has already been answered.

Just got a p652ui-b2 yesterday from Best buy and the colors look great with the calibrated setting. The issue that bothers me though is the significant judder; I noticed this on both Netflix and YouTube 4K/regular videos. When the camera slowly pans across or when there is any movement on the screen, it feels like the TV is struggling to keep up. Doesn't look like the clear motion setting does much and I've tried playing with a few other things though nothing's made a difference so far. I'm on firmware 1.0.0 currently and I'm trying the 'service check' to try to force an update. Will a fw update reduce the judder or are there any other tweaks that might help?
post #12090 of 18021 Old 01-24-2015, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splotto View Post
Do you set your AVR to pass-through? What do you have your PS3 output resolution set to? Same for the Xbox?

I noticed that when I set my AVR/PS3 @ 1080p, the picture isn't as good as if I set my AVR to pass-through and the PS3 to 1080i.
Yes, I have my AVR set to pass through. As I said, just try it both ways. I assume your AVR is one that can upscale to 4k. I think you will find it best to just let the P70 do the upscaling. I only use the MINIX 8H+ upscaler for content that the P70 can't handle, h264 4k and VPN9 4k. I also do this so I don't have double upscaling. Unfortunately, my Comcast X1 box does not allow pass through. I have the X1 set to 1080p. I am curious if anyone else has had better results using a different approach. I have tried setting the X1 to 720p for sports, since sports are usually sourced in 720p. Haven't seen much difference so I leave it at 1080p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page