***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 405 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4644Likes

post #12121 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6566 Post(s)
Liked: 6324
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgood311 View Post
I downloaded a few 4k test videos from http://box.houkouonchi.jp/4k/ loaded them on to a flash drive and plugged that intent he P series. All video files show unsupported. Is there another way to view these files? They were all mp4

You will only be able to play files that are HEVC encoded. There are a couple of torrents posted in the thread that have playable videos. If you do a search for torrent you should find them. The 17GB one has the most content that is verified as playing fine on P series TVs

Sent from nowhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12122 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splotto View Post
Thank you for the reply.

Sadly my AVR doesn't upscale to 4k. It is a few years old. The highest it will go it 1080p. However, I think the picture looks better setting it to pass through.

What do you have your PS3 set to output? It seemed to me that when I set it to 1080i the picture looked better than at 1080p.
Does your AVR pass through 4k? It probably doesn't matter since there really isn't any source that you likely have that you can plug into your AVR that produces 4k. Unless it does pass through 4k you may not want to hook up anything that produces 4k to the AVR. I have a Minix X8H+ that does produce 4k and it would not be good to plug that player into your AVR. My Minix is plugged directly into HDMI 2 on the P70. The Minix exports 4k at 30 fps. You are probably doing the right thing for setting the AVR to pass through. Let the P70 do the upscaling. It will likely do a better job.

I don't own a PS3 so I don't know. Would seem that it would be better at 1080p but...... What resolution does the PS3 display native? Is it a 720p? Sorry I don't know since I don't have the PS3. My XBox One displays at 1080p.
post #12123 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You will only be able to play files that are HEVC encoded. There are a couple of torrents posted in the thread that have playable videos. If you do a search for torrent you should find them. The 17GB one has the most content that is verified as playing fine on P series TVs

Sent from nowhere
The only way I have found to play 4k video that is not HEVC H265 is through a 4k player. I have a Minix Neo X8H+ with the latest XBMC version (13.3.3). This little box will play 4k H264 and VP9 and export those at 4k 30 fps HEVC. I know I am exporting 4k because the P70 says 2160 when I am using the box and the video looks very detailed. Some of the video on YouTube is amazing. When I tried YouTube using the P70's VIA apps it didn't look nearly as good since the YouTube app uses the VP9 codec that the Vizio can't currently decode. Maybe in a future firmware update. I am using HDMI 2 for the Minix NeoX8H+ now which seems to work well. The Minix X8H+ costs around $120 I believe. It also will allow use of the Chrome browser and access to email. It basically makes your P70 perform like a tablet with all the android programs. Actually, pretty cool if that sort of thing amuses you. Probably only for geeks but........
Splotto likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12124 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
problems

Some problems are solved by the firmware updates. After the update do a factory reset, and unplug the tv for 15 minutes. So what if you have to redo the settings, it takes about 10 minutes. Then make judgements about quality. Also consider the source, a couple of nights ago I was watching an old Jean Rollin film upgraded to BluRay, at the start there was a lot of flickering and flashing, and I am wondering what is the problem, I then realized it was the film not the P50B1 with 1.1.16 firmware. ron
post #12125 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
After living with superkyle's settings for a day (on my P50), and watching a variety of material, I have the following thoughts:

(1) GREAT for filmed content OTA or streamed (I don't use BR). However most things that were blue (nightly news titles, logos or type in commercials) are now shifted slightly towards purple (i.e., ultramarine violet or cobalt violet). Its not a problem or unappealing, just something I'm noticing globally.

(2) not so good for 2D animated content (e.g., Legend of Korra). Really pulls the vibrancy out of the animation.

(3) not so good for low-quality and legacy content (analog OTA, dvd rips, B&W OTA). Can't explain it, but I think I need something completely different for this material. I will follow up with more detailed comments. I want to compare the natively played DVD rips (on the P50s usb port) with rips played on my Boxee Box and PC over a few different HDMI ports.

So, while this setting is a great default, but I'm now on the lookout to create two new saved settings:

- legacy
- animation

Thoughts? Potential tweaks?
venus933 likes this.
post #12126 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Sent from nowhere
Funny thing, my P50 plays virtually all my old rips (AVI, MP4, MKV) without problem. The player is pretty poorly featured (is there a decent way to advance or rewind???) but it plays stuff that is not HEVC. (Or are we talking about only 4k stuff?)
post #12127 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Saw that the P70 is $1999 at Costco right now. No idea if that is news or not.
post #12128 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
I have tried several posted calibrations and they do make it look better for sure. My issue is the upscaleing is terrible from a 1080 source compared to my Sony.

What is your 1080 source? It's upscaling of 720p60, 1080i60, 1080p60 and 1080p24 is so smooth and crisp on my P60 that I used to get up to take a close look at the screen to look for artifacts from upscaling and couldn't see any. I feed it all of those resolutions and 480p60 on HDMI 5 and am perfectly happy with it.

You have a 4K Sony that does a better job of upscaling?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #12129 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Picked up the P65 at Best Buy as soon as it went on sale last week; $1,350 plus tax was a steal! I opted to take it home myself rather than waiting for delivery later in the week. Updated to 1.1.14, calibrated to Farrow099's recommendations in Post #10795 . Off the bat, I'm very impressed with the 4k picture through the Netflix app (Blacklist). Upon closer inspection, I notice a rather large group of dead pixels which can be seen from my seating distance of 10 feet. Also, I have dark corners, a slightly yellow thick vertical line when viewing the gray screen (do all P series / P65s have this issue?), and an additional dark spot at the top row (looks to be the size of one of the 64 zones). Does anyone have experience with getting Best Buy to come swap sets if you took the TV home yourself? Also, if they deliver, can I inspect and decline it on the spot? Or do I have to give my original back and schedule another replacement?

Last question: is 16,000 kbps at 2160p the best Netflix will stream? I am getting that pretty consistent on the test video with the Apple Airport Extreme AC about 12' away. I get the same speed plugged in directly with ethernet, but there are no convenient ways to run it to my set at the moment.
post #12130 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Howard View Post
The only way I have found to play 4k video that is not HEVC H265 is through a 4k player. I have a Minix Neo X8H+ with the latest XBMC version (13.3.3). This little box will play 4k H264 and VP9 and export those at 4k 30 fps HEVC. I know I am exporting 4k because the P70 says 2160 when I am using the box and the video looks very detailed. Some of the video on YouTube is amazing. When I tried YouTube using the P70's VIA apps it didn't look nearly as good since the YouTube app uses the VP9 codec that the Vizio can't currently decode. Maybe in a future firmware update. I am using HDMI 2 for the Minix NeoX8H+ now which seems to work well. The Minix X8H+ costs around $120 I believe. It also will allow use of the Chrome browser and access to email. It basically makes your P70 perform like a tablet with all the android programs. Actually, pretty cool if that sort of thing amuses you. Probably only for geeks but........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamedev123 View Post
Funny thing, my P50 plays virtually all my old rips (AVI, MP4, MKV) without problem. The player is pretty poorly featured (is there a decent way to advance or rewind???) but it plays stuff that is not HEVC. (Or are we talking about only 4k stuff?)
MPC-HC will play HEVC encoded 4k on the pc as long as you have a decent processor and you chose the regular EVR mode. I have an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz and it plays them fine. I quit messing with that useless built in usb player.

Last edited by EMINENT1; 01-24-2015 at 04:48 PM.
post #12131 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post
So I am having an issue with Netflix.

Here is my router that I bought back in August of 2012:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00387G6R8
Just a thought - I saw that you're running the latest firmware on your TV, however have you checked for firmware updates for your router? For what it's worth, I'm running the Vizio via Wi-Fi to this router: http://********/15turVK - and that's running customized firmware from a fantastic dev called Merlin-- he basically takes the open source Asus firmware and fixes bugs and enhances functionality while retaining upgrade/downgradability. I've never had a problem with any device on wireless and I'm in a noisy area (apartment complex with Wifi's all over the place). If you do decide to upgrade, consider taking advantage of this routers 5GHz band (or any router you get) as the Vizio happily supports the higher performing 5Ghz band (as does newer model tablets, laptops, and phones). Depending on distance requirements it's generally the superior option over 2.4Ghz.

TLDR: At any rate, make sure you're running the latest firmware for your router.

Cheers

-Chan

Last edited by ChandlerL; 01-24-2015 at 06:27 PM.
post #12132 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah123 View Post
Got it figured out. My CalDark settings did not transfer when watching Netflix. When I checked them after selecting a movie, CalDark settings had SME turned on to medium. I edited the settings and then saved. All is good now. Thanks everyone for the help.
Forgive my ignorance but... there's a save? My settings aren't "saved" just by setting them and exiting the menu?
post #12133 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapazza View Post
Last question: is 16,000 kbps at 2160p the best Netflix will stream?

Currently, yes.

post #12134 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr250 View Post
Anyone care to address this? Are all the P series sizes the same type of semi-matte screen?
They all have the same semi-matte (I call it semi-glossy - because it appears closer to glossy monitors such as the high gloss, Gateway FHD2400, Yamakasi Catleap, and Crossover 2420MDP than it does matte screens such as Dell Ultrasharps. Semi-glossy always seemed a more apt description though I understand why marketers stay away from that descriptor given matte screen's greater popularity with the folks. There's a coating but it isn't matte-- turn the set off and you CAN see a low-detail reflection that's darker than the room you're in. However, it's not a "mirror" like the aforementioned glossy monitors but more like an Apple Cinema Display.

Finally, it's important to note that the 55" P series is an IPS panel whereas the rest of the models are VA (50, 60, 65, 70) -- something which may affect your decision process-- sorry if you already knew that. IPS has wider viewing angles than VA however IPS tends to suffer from lower black level performance as well as light bleeding.

For what it's worth I've seen the 50, 60, and 70 next to each other and the screens looked very similar though the content shown was very bright (landscapes and such).

Last edited by ChandlerL; 01-24-2015 at 06:29 PM.
post #12135 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamedev123 View Post

This is only in regards to 4k files. 1080p and below do not have this limitation.

Sent from nowhere
post #12136 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgross0818 View Post
What unit would you recommend then? We can buy the P65 for $1350 + tax with the 10% off coupon... I might try my luck with a P70 ($1800 + tax) to compare those panels (P65 and P70), however, other than the Samsung 7150 (which is a well respected one, though 1080) I'm not aware of any panel significantly better without costing much more. Please let me know if I'm missing something as the banding on my P65 is certainly frustrating at times, however, I'll probably just put up with it (either P65 or P70) until OLED's drop in a few years
How are you going to get the P70 down to $1,800 ? I know it's $1,999 at Costco.
post #12137 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingram View Post
How are you going to get the P70 down to $1,800 ? I know it's $1,999 at Costco.
You are right, price match Costco, then use a 10% off coupon (usually found at the post office in "Mover's Coupon" packs) - I haven't actually gotten my hands on one of these coupons yet, however, if you search on eBay you will find plenty, so I figure they aren't hard to find.
post #12138 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just noticed something else. I have the tv speakers turned off and sound going to a lg 2.1 soundbar through a optical cable. Before the update, when switching from cable tv to any other viewing source(via netflix, via amazon, or xbox one) i had to turn the volume way up on the sound bar compared to cable tv. Now the sound is rather loud at a much lower volume. For example, 20 is equal to about 40 before the update.
post #12139 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapazza View Post
Picked up the P65 at Best Buy as soon as it went on sale last week; $1,350 plus tax was a steal! I opted to take it home myself rather than waiting for delivery later in the week. Updated to 1.1.14, calibrated to Farrow099's recommendations in Post #10795 . Off the bat, I'm very impressed with the 4k picture through the Netflix app (Blacklist). Upon closer inspection, I notice a rather large group of dead pixels which can be seen from my seating distance of 10 feet. Also, I have dark corners, a slightly yellow thick vertical line when viewing the gray screen (do all P series / P65s have this issue?), and an additional dark spot at the top row (looks to be the size of one of the 64 zones). Does anyone have experience with getting Best Buy to come swap sets if you took the TV home yourself? Also, if they deliver, can I inspect and decline it on the spot? Or do I have to give my original back and schedule another replacement?
To answer your questions:

Dead pixels in groups aren't that common as far as I know- with a 4k set (and so many total pixels) it's certainly a numbers game against us in getting one or two dead/stuck ones, however, if they are bothersome then that's already grounds for a return

Dark corners are apparent on my set as well as most review images I've looked at... just a consequence of the technology I think (especially as the TV panels get bigger)

Is the slightly yellow vertical band very close to the center of the screen? If so then it's very similar to what I have, as well as what can be seen in televisions.reviewed.com greyscale uniformity images. It's not an issue for more normal programming, however, for sports it's rather annoying. I'm still trying to ask around to find out if the P70 is any better than the P65 in this regard. I might pick up a P70 tomorrow for giggles... if I do then I'll let everyone know how they compare.

The darker zone is not normal... you can turn off LED dimming to see if that helps, however, all my 64 zones are pretty uniform in brightness.

I bought mine from BestBuy as well - I was told I would be charged for a second one if they had to order it - They said for a simple exchange they would come to pick up the old one and drop off the new one, however, this may vary by store

Hope this all helps :]
post #12140 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
You are right, price match Costco, then use a 10% off coupon (usually found at the post office in "Mover's Coupon" packs) - I haven't actually gotten my hands on one of these coupons yet, however, if you search on eBay you will find plenty, so I figure they aren't hard to find.
Has anyone been successful doing this ? Usually BB will either price match or use the movers coupon but not both.
post #12141 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got the last one in the store and besides the issue with blurry text at 120fps(which someone told me can be fixed by using a dvi to hdmi) I now am having this issue, it comes randomly(usually when I start my PC, or wake up the screen which is always..) and won't go away until I reset resolution. It makes the mouse lag AND worse of all makes static lines go nuts across the screen...I am sad, third TV in which I think I got a dud(First was an LG plasma, then a LG LCD, then I was like **** LG and got the Vizio).

It was the last one at my BestBuy...ugh, any other screen around 700-800 that has JUST as good Motion/Color/Contrast/Blacks(Doubt it since this is FALD)...? Should I just wait for the 2015 Model P? Is that gonna happen or happen soon?

Last edited by Hillanatorofstate; 01-24-2015 at 07:02 PM.
post #12142 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
What unit would you recommend then? We can buy the P65 for $1350 + tax with the 10% off coupon... I might try my luck with a P70 ($1800 + tax) to compare those panels (P65 and P70), however, other than the Samsung 7150 (which is a well respected one, though 1080) I'm not aware of any panel significantly better without costing much more. Please let me know if I'm missing something as the banding on my P65 is certainly frustrating at times, however, I'll probably just put up with it (either P65 or P70) until OLED's drop in a few years
Can you please let me know the process / coupon and place to get the P70 for $1800. Thanks
post #12143 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddthomason View Post
Can you please let me know the process / coupon and place to get the P70 for $1800. Thanks

Price match Costco and use movers 10% coupon.

Sent from nowhere
post #12144 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingram View Post
Has anyone been successful doing this ? Usually BB will either price match or use the movers coupon but not both.

Check back around Black Friday and a little earlier I believe people were successful in doing both.

Sent from nowhere
post #12145 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Howard View Post
I use the upscaler of the P70. I would suggest trying each and seeing if you think one is better than the other. I think the upscaling is very good on the P70. In reading the forum I believe most feel similarly. I run my cable and blueray through my AVR. I run my XBox one directly to HDMI 5. I run the AVR to HDMI 1 in order to get ARC. I also have a Minix 8H+ for my 4k and 1080 p player from my server. It will play H264 4k as well as Youtube 4k. Unfortunately, to get it to do that you now have to set the output to 4K 30fps for everything. It looks great but uses the Minix upscaler rather than the P70. I hope soon the Minix will allow pass through. Anyway, great TV.
Thanks for the info. I purchased the P70 yesterday at Best Buy for $1999 via price match for Costco. I will use your suggested connections on my p70 / Onkyo 636. Is the Vizio smart platform better than my PS3 or do I need to purchase something else?
post #12146 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Pulled the trigger, got it for little over $2200 shipped via Costco.

Hope I get a good one, never had any problems with any of my hardware, so hope I can keep the streak going!

Vizio 70" p702ui-b3 UHDTV | Yamaha TSR-7810 4K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC AMERICA PL 200 II (Sub) | JBL Studio Speakers 190x2 (F), 180x2(S), 130x2 (RS), 120c (C) | ASROCK Z87 | I7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Zotac Nvidia 1070 | Windows 10 64bit | PS4 XBox1X WiiU Switch | Samsung Galaxy S8 Active (Android Version 8 Oreo)
post #12147 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddthomason View Post
Is the Vizio smart platform better than my PS3 or do I need to purchase something else?

For the apps that they have in common (Netflix, Amazon, VUDU, Hulu Plus and YouTube, at least) I'd judge the VIA apps to be as good or better and the Netflix and Amazon VIA apps support 4K video from those services (I'd expect the VUDU app to be updated to support 4K when VUDU offers such, though it may never support YouTube's 4K since they chose to use a VP9 instead of HEVC).

post #12148 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I apologize if this has been addressed already, I haven't read the whole thread. (but have read a good deal of it)

New firmware, P60, and I have noticed that now the backlight is behaving differently. (local dimming on) For example, watched a movie tonight, credits aren't usual rolling credits, but white text on black background, one after the other. In between each set of credits, the black light turns completely off for less then a second (when nothing is on the screen) then comes back on again with the next set of names. It is really distracting.

I was going to reset to factory default and start over, but didn't want to do that yet. I don't believe it was doing this before the FW update. If anyone could advise, I would really appreciate it.
post #12149 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honavery View Post
I was going to reset to factory default and start over, but didn't want to do that yet. I don't believe it was doing this before the FW update. If anyone could advise, I would really appreciate it.

I can't believe that resetting to factory defaults will roll back the firmware. That's the first thing that a CSR would have you before they started testing a complaint of a problem; all it will do is reset all of the system, picture mode and color management settings to the defaults. It's unlikely that the 1.0.0 version is still stored in it.

post #12150 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 10:41 PM

I remember reading a number of pages ago that this latest update adjusted the local dimming algorithm... The zones no longer completely turn off, however, the adjusting between "standby black" and "active" is certainly noticeable if you are looking for it (like in a credits sequence). I suppose the alternative is accepting the backlight bleed and turning off local dimming. I personally prefer the better contrast, however, the option is there to turn it off if you want.

As the poster above stated, a factory reset won't solve this issue, as the algorithm is coded into the firmware, which isn't rolled back during a reset
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page