***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 406 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4644Likes

post #12151 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddthomason View Post
Thanks for the info. I purchased the P70 yesterday at Best Buy for $1999 via price match for Costco. I will use your suggested connections on my p70 / Onkyo 636. Is the Vizio smart platform better than my PS3 or do I need to purchase something else?
I'm definitely happy with the smart TV features. It's leagues better than my 2012 Samsung plasma. The Netflix UI is nice and fast. The OEM remote has a keyboard too. There's direct buttons that take you to Netflix, Amazon and some others too so you don't have to wade through the other stuff if those are your most common things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12152 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgross0818 View Post
I remember reading a number of pages ago that this latest update adjusted the local dimming algorithm... The zones no longer completely turn off, however, the adjusting between "standby black" and "active" is certainly noticeable if you are looking for it (like in a credits sequence). I suppose the alternative is accepting the backlight bleed and turning off local dimming. I personally prefer the better contrast, however, the option is there to turn it off if you want.

As the poster above stated, a factory reset won't solve this issue, as the algorithm is coded into the firmware, which isn't rolled back during a reset
Ok, sounds like they changed the algorithm then. I didn't think the factory reset would roll back the FW, but just go back to how it was before with the dimming. (long shot I know)
I'm glad there isn't anything physically wrong with TV. I'll have to think about whether to leave the local dimming on or not.

Thank you for the replies.
post #12153 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
I remember reading a number of pages ago that this latest update adjusted the local dimming algorithm... The zones no longer completely turn off, however, the adjusting between "standby black" and "active" is certainly noticeable if you are looking for it (like in a credits sequence). I suppose the alternative is accepting the backlight bleed and turning off local dimming. I personally prefer the better contrast, however, the option is there to turn it off if you want.

As the poster above stated, a factory reset won't solve this issue, as the algorithm is coded into the firmware, which isn't rolled back during a reset
It actually made dark scenes more uniform, if you can believe it. Before, if something were lit, even remotely, in a scene, there would be a bothersome halo effect around that specific area of the screen. The rest would be really dark - practically off - but it was distracting. Now, even the most dimly lit of scenes doesn't have that halo effect around it, and it blends with the entire screen much better. It's really a subjective thing, I think, more than anything. I find I only notice it's not true black at night, as during the day, it still looks like the black areas are off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12154 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by honavery View Post
New firmware, P60, and I have noticed that now the backlight is behaving differently. (local dimming on) For example, watched a movie tonight, credits aren't usual rolling credits, but white text on black background, one after the other. In between each set of credits, the black light turns completely off for less then a second (when nothing is on the screen) then comes back on again with the next set of names. It is really distracting.

I thought that it was better about that than it is now using the Calibrated Dark picture mode than it is now in any picture mode. Such is life. If non-distracting credits-rolling-on-a-black-background watching is essential then this may not be the best television for your purposes. Or you could turn off ALZ when credits that you want to watch start rolling .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #12155 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
No worries - perhaps in the future they could add another option under Active LED Zones where we could adjust the aggressiveness of the dimming

I noticed you mentioned the QWERTY keyboard on the remote - can it type in lower-case? Mine enters in capital letters regardless of the shift key (unless I'm using it wrong) - this is only an issue with user names and passwords, however, I would like to figure it out if possible
post #12156 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitek View Post
It actually made dark scenes more uniform, if you can believe it. Before, if something were lit, even remotely, in a scene, there would be a bothersome halo effect around that specific area of the screen. The rest would be really dark - practically off - but it was distracting. Now, even the most dimly lit of scenes doesn't have that halo effect around it, and it blends with the entire screen much better. It's really a subjective thing, I think, more than anything. I find I only notice it's not true black at night, as during the day, it still looks like the black areas are off.
Good point,, I have noticed less of a halo effect with the dimming.
post #12157 of 18018 Old 01-24-2015, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Not entirely on topic, but I'm not finding Amazon 4K to be at all impressive. Of Netflix's 4K content pretty much only The Blacklist has really wowed me (and Marco Polo, in moments), but nothing that I've seen of Amazon's 4K streaming content has given me that "would you look at that!" feeling. Of course, I've only viewed some of the Prime Instant Video 4K; I haven't spent money buying a movie so it's possible that some of them are impressive (none of the handful of Prime 4K movies are).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #12158 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Howard View Post
Does your AVR pass through 4k? It probably doesn't matter since there really isn't any source that you likely have that you can plug into your AVR that produces 4k. Unless it does pass through 4k you may not want to hook up anything that produces 4k to the AVR. I have a Minix X8H+ that does produce 4k and it would not be good to plug that player into your AVR. My Minix is plugged directly into HDMI 2 on the P70. The Minix exports 4k at 30 fps. You are probably doing the right thing for setting the AVR to pass through. Let the P70 do the upscaling. It will likely do a better job.

I don't own a PS3 so I don't know. Would seem that it would be better at 1080p but...... What resolution does the PS3 display native? Is it a 720p? Sorry I don't know since I don't have the PS3. My XBox One displays at 1080p.
Thanks for sharing. I am not worried about 4k passing through. Right now my 4k content is limited to the apps on the P70.

I was just working through setting up all my devices and trying to get them all tweaked. I think the 1080p vs. 1080i difference might just be subconscious with me.

Thanks!
post #12159 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello everyone, I have owned a P70 now for just about 3 months and have been enjoying it and am very impressed with the picture quality. (Although I need to take some time to try and get some of the red out with a calibration).

I'm starting to get nervous now though about the quality. I have always stayed away from Vizio in the past because of their previous reputation as a lower quality manufacturer, but took a chance on the new P series as it is hard to beat the amenities for the price point.

Anyway, I a now experiencing intermittent issues when powering up the TV. Everyone once in a while (I'd say once or twice every couple of weeks) I'll turn on the TV (confirmed by the flashing light in the left hand bottom corner) and I will get no video, including no VIZIO logo. I will get audio however. I have to turn the TV OFF and back ON and this will take care of it on the second try. However, this morning I had to power the TV OFF and back ON 3x to get a picture.

Has anyone else experienced this? I think I may have a couple days before the return period is up, I am debating on returning it, but don't know if this is a sign to ditch Vizio or did I just get a bad lemon (which I know happens in all brands) and should take another chance with a replacement.

Thanks for any input you can give...
post #12160 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Curious before this one is returned. Does the TV not seitch inputs automatically like the Samsung's and Sony's do? Maybe I am missing a setting or something.

Current Sets: Sony XBR65A9F Master Series, Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, TCL 65R617
Previous Sets: Samsung Q9FN, Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C, TCL P-Series (55P607)
post #12161 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Viper32, this TV does switch inputs automatically. However, that would not explain my issue as I get audio, and I don't get the VISIO logo displayed at all and that should happen no matter what INPUT the TV thinks it is on. Also, my cable box is the only input turned on when this happens...
post #12162 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I can't believe that resetting to factory defaults will roll back the firmware. That's the first thing that a CSR would have you before they started testing a complaint of a problem; all it will do is reset all of the system, picture mode and color management settings to the defaults. It's unlikely that the 1.0.0 version is still stored in it.
I can verify that reseting to factory defaults does not change the firmware. ron
post #12163 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Not entirely on topic, but I'm not finding Amazon 4K to be at all impressive. Of Netflix's 4K content pretty much only The Blacklist has really wowed me (and Marco Polo, in moments), but nothing that I've seen of Amazon's 4K streaming content has given me that "would you look at that!" feeling. Of course, I've only viewed some of the Prime Instant Video 4K; I haven't spent money buying a movie so it's possible that some of them are impressive (none of the handful of Prime 4K movies are).
Some of the new pilots look quite nice. I noticed when watching it that Mad Dogs looks great.
post #12164 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddthomason View Post
Thanks for the info. I purchased the P70 yesterday at Best Buy for $1999 via price match for Costco. I will use your suggested connections on my p70 / Onkyo 636. Is the Vizio smart platform better than my PS3 or do I need to purchase something else?
Depends on what you want to do. The VIA apps multimedia player works OK for most 1080p and lower resolution videos. It plays most types of encoded video. It will not play h264 (the most common current codec) or VP9 (YouTube) 4k. I hope that Vizio updates it's firmware to allow decoding additional 4k formats. Could be a hardware issue however. Software decoding of 4k is very processor demanding. HDMI 5 for 60 hz and HDMI 1 & 2 for 30hz do a pretty good job for HEVC encoded videos. If Vizio doesn't provide additional 4k decoding the only other option is a media player like my MINIX X8H+. There is so little content now it is hard to know what will happen. I am enjoying the ability to now play YouTube VP9 videos through the MINIX. It is mostly good for wowing friends however since almost all movie or TV series 4k is HEVC.
post #12165 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I noticed you mentioned the QWERTY keyboard on the remote - can it type in lower-case? Mine enters in capital letters regardless of the shift key (unless I'm using it wrong) - this is only an issue with user names and passwords, however, I would like to figure it out if possible
Depends on the app. The downside to the keyboard is that the support for it seems to be implemented on an app-by-app basis, and some use it better than others. Trying to input my name onto the form for UltraFlix app was an exercise in frustration, as hitting "Backspace" was the equivalent of hitting "Back" which reset the form.
post #12166 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 08:39 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by squints2see View Post
Hello everyone, I have owned a P70 now for just about 3 months and have been enjoying it and am very impressed with the picture quality. (Although I need to take some time to try and get some of the red out with a calibration).

I'm starting to get nervous now though about the quality. I have always stayed away from Vizio in the past because of their previous reputation as a lower quality manufacturer, but took a chance on the new P series as it is hard to beat the amenities for the price point.

Anyway, I a now experiencing intermittent issues when powering up the TV. Everyone once in a while (I'd say once or twice every couple of weeks) I'll turn on the TV (confirmed by the flashing light in the left hand bottom corner) and I will get no video, including no VIZIO logo. I will get audio however. I have to turn the TV OFF and back ON and this will take care of it on the second try. However, this morning I had to power the TV OFF and back ON 3x to get a picture.

Has anyone else experienced this? I think I may have a couple days before the return period is up, I am debating on returning it, but don't know if this is a sign to ditch Vizio or did I just get a bad lemon (which I know happens in all brands) and should take another chance with a replacement.

Im a P60 owner and I`m experiencing the same power on problem you mentioned. I originally had my front led indicator light turned off and would not know if the tv was trying to turn on or not. With it on I can see if it is engaging the turn on sequence. I occasionally notice the TV will have a delayed response to powering on. Sometimes the delayed power up sequence will take up to a minute or two withe the led indicator lights up bright and then dims and bright again before seeing the Vizio logo and then finally seeing a picture source. So it does this once every few days but does finish the power up sequence. Anybody else have this happen ?
post #12167 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

I had this problem intermittently as well, but since the firmware 1.1.14 was loaded, haven't had it happen. Maybe it's cured?
post #12168 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kjosh View Post
I had this problem intermittently as well, but since the firmware 1.1.14 was loaded, haven't had it happen. Maybe it's cured?
I also had the occasional case of my P70 failing to boot up when I turned the power on, when it still had the 1.0.0 firmware. Since getting the 1.1.14 update a week, or so, ago it hasn't happened again (fingers crossed that the bug is fixed).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #12169 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

Did you try swapping HDMI cables just to see if yours is defective ?
post #12170 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 7
totally agree

Quote:
I completely agree with you as I mentioned the same thing right after I received my update a couple weeks back. Netflix 4k at least appears to be a higher resolution than 1080P. On Amazon UHD, it looks like HD content found on Netflix.

Netflix definitely has the upper hand on 4K. Now if only they would release more of it. I have been staring at the exact same list since November 24. Really? 2 months later and nothing else has been released in 4K?
post #12171 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 7
haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRobX View Post
Depends on the app. The downside to the keyboard is that the support for it seems to be implemented on an app-by-app basis, and some use it better than others. Trying to input my name onto the form for UltraFlix app was an exercise in frustration, as hitting "Backspace" was the equivalent of hitting "Back" which reset the form.
I ran into that problematic "loop" as well. It is very frustrating. What is more frustrating is that the apps seem to log me out for no reason. There is no point for them to do so.
post #12172 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Strange that I get 16000 kbps on the Netflix app, but in browser I only can achieve 3000 kbps 1280x720p on the El Fuente 60 Main video.
post #12173 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I wanna know why the hell they back lit only one side and not the other of the remote.
Kingram likes this.
post #12174 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Son of a bitch $1999. For 70" on Amazon for prime members.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #12175 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerL View Post
They all have the same semi-matte (I call it semi-glossy - because it appears closer to glossy monitors such as the high gloss, Gateway FHD2400, Yamakasi Catleap, and Crossover 2420MDP than it does matte screens such as Dell Ultrasharps. Semi-glossy always seemed a more apt description though I understand why marketers stay away from that descriptor given matte screen's greater popularity with the folks. There's a coating but it isn't matte-- turn the set off and you CAN see a low-detail reflection that's darker than the room you're in. However, it's not a "mirror" like the aforementioned glossy monitors but more like an Apple Cinema Display.

Finally, it's important to note that the 55" P series is an IPS panel whereas the rest of the models are VA (50, 60, 65, 70) -- something which may affect your decision process-- sorry if you already knew that. IPS has wider viewing angles than VA however IPS tends to suffer from lower black level performance as well as light bleeding.

For what it's worth I've seen the 50, 60, and 70 next to each other and the screens looked very similar though the content shown was very bright (landscapes and such).
Thanks. To my eyes, the 55" IPS panel had more "pop" and glossy screen, very similar to the samsung LCD tvs. The 70 does not have the same "looking through a window" feel that I get from the samsung panels. Also, the native contrast on the samsungs seems better. Not referring to black levels in low light. Just normal video.

Second, the processing on the samsungs is smoother, at least in the vivid/dynamic modes at BB.

Finally, I read an amazon review that said this vizio cannot display a 4:3 DVD type picture without strething. Is that really true? Wouldn't a just scan type mode do that?
post #12176 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Son of a bitch $1999. For 70" on Amazon for prime members.
Costco too. Bestbuy will price match
post #12177 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMINENT1 View Post
I wanna know why the hell they back lit only one side and not the other of the remote.
So you can see what your typing. Would of been nice two sides lighted.
post #12178 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingneeno View Post
Yup, just picked up a P70 at $1999.95 (unfortunately they won't price match and do the 10% movers coupon :[)

So far my impressions are that the P70 corners aren't as dark, and there are no yellowish vertical bands like on my P65 (There's a single vertical band about halfway across the screen that runs the length of the display on my P65). The viewing angles are identical, and there's still some slight vertical banding, however, the P70 panel definitely looks better. Not sure if I got lucky with it (or unlucky with the P65), however, so far I think the $500 difference is worth it... I'll keep everyone updated as I test them both a little more
post #12179 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 02:09 PM

For all p65 owners.
Use farrow settings it really makes a difference. Very happy with the settings it the best settings for this TV. Hey farrow just reaching out have you tweek it since 1.1.14 if please update thanks...
post #12180 of 18018 Old 01-25-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingneeno View Post
No tax and free shipping through Amazon.

Perhaps I misremembered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page