***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 408 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4644Likes

post #12211 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'll have to check that out tonight. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12212 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Not entirely on topic, but I'm not finding Amazon 4K to be at all impressive. Of Netflix's 4K content pretty much only The Blacklist has really wowed me (and Marco Polo, in moments), but nothing that I've seen of Amazon's 4K streaming content has given me that "would you look at that!" feeling. Of course, I've only viewed some of the Prime Instant Video 4K; I haven't spent money buying a movie so it's possible that some of them are impressive (none of the handful of Prime 4K movies are).
Something I've found from the bit I've watched is that there may be a bug in the Amazon app not always switching the TV's resolution over to 4K. When I watched S1E1 of Orphan Black, about 30 seconds in the screen briefly went black then came back on. When I went into System Information, it clearly said the resolution currently being displayed was 3840x2160 and it frequently looked phenomenal. When I watched S1E2 a couple days later, the screen never blanked out and the screen resolution in the TV's sys info page just said n/a as I recall. Playing / pausing the stream was indicating the stream as Ultra HD but it only looked to be roughly pretty-good Blu-Ray quality (as opposed to S1E1 which frequently looked to be on par with reference-quality 1080p and certain elements like text was clearly mastered at full 4K quality with how well-defined its edges were).
post #12213 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN_RH View Post
I just bought the P70 Saturday from sams club, they had it for $1998.00. After doing the firmware update and using some calibrations I've found on here I'm loving this tv.
The only issue I'm having is, when I'm using my apps (Amazon,YouTube) I'm not getting any sound from my surround sound. I can switch to the tv speakers and they work. I'm using a denon 1613 plugged into the hdmi 5 input and not getting anything. Has anyone else had this issue or know of a way to fix this. Thanks!
If your Denon has ARC, plug into HDMI 1. If not, you will have to run a optical cable from the TV to your Denon.,
JOHN_RH likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12214 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Very useful, thanks for the reply. I've been very happy with the Oppo / Vizio combination on 1080p first with a BDP-83 and now with the 103D, was curious if they kept their game up on the step up to 4K.

Sounds like they did. My condolences on losing sound while your kids grow - I understand, my kids killed two players for me while they were toddlers.

Now in college, so they are only killing my wallet, and the 7.2 system is back out causing a ruckus.

Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
That would work, but it's easier just to use the button on the remote to switch between Calibrated Dark and Calibrated...
Since posting this question I think I have learned that the only way is to tie the different settings to the Color Temperature. Superkyle has done that by using Computer for Day and Normal for night. I have not tried his though to see if they look good on my P70.

Jack
post #12215 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rever75 View Post
Hi,
I just purchased a new P65 this weekend as I could not pass up the good price. Does anyone have any good suggestions for me? What sort of issues should I look for if any. I have noticed only a few things but not sure if I should be concerned or not. On a few occasions I noticed the video flicker or go fuzzy and the Input info would pop up on the top. Is this caused if the signal being sent to the TV is having an issue? Has not happened often but enough for me and my kids to notice. I will try another HDMI port to ensure it is not just that port. I will also try another cable althoug that cable had no issues with my last TV. I also noticed I guess what could be called ghosting on some shows and mostly seems to be on actors hands. Not sure if this is a common issue or even an issue. Anyway any suggestions would be great, so far I love my TV and it does seem to have the latest 1.1.14 firmware.
Calibrate to Farrow's guidelines: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post30670553

Smooth motion and clear action should both be off, and gaming mode should definitely be on if you're noticing ghosting.
rever75 likes this.

Last edited by Kapazza; 01-26-2015 at 09:31 AM.
post #12216 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6529 Post(s)
Liked: 6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapazza View Post
Calibrate to Farrow's guidelines: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post30670553

Smooth motion and clear action should both be off, and gaming mode should definitely be on if you're noticing ghosting. I use his recommendations, except I bump backlight up to 51 (highest possible without introducing backlighting bugs, i.e. "FALD doesn't quite work and some flashing is noticeable in dark scenes").

I think you may be confusing brightness and backlight. In previous firmware versions (I haven't tested most recent) if your brightness was above 51 you would introduce dimming "bugs". The backlight can be set to 100 as long as brightness is below 51.

Sent from nowhere
B Howard likes this.
post #12217 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Calibrate to Farrow's guidelines:

Smooth motion and clear action should both be off, and gaming mode should definitely be on if you're noticing ghosting. I use his recommendations, except I bump backlight up to 51 (highest possible without introducing backlighting bugs, i.e. "FALD doesn't quite work and some flashing is noticeable in dark scenes").
Thank You so much Kapazza!! I love this TV and will do this as soon as I get home from work.
post #12218 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I think you may be confusing brightness and backlight. In previous firmware versions (I haven't tested most recent) if your brightness was above 51 you would introduce dimming "bugs". The backlight can be set to 100 as long as brightness is below 51.

Sent from nowhere
True, thanks for catching that.
post #12219 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

Smooth motion and clear action should both be off, and gaming mode should definitely be on if you're noticing ghosting.
You might want to try Googer's calibration of the P70. It looks great on my P70. See page one.
rc-zombies and rogerdiaz like this.
post #12220 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Here’s a dilemma I have that I thought I would run by youguys. I have been following this thread since it started right after CES 2014.I know that the P70 is the TV I am looking to purchase for the living room.Problem is that our hardwood floors that we are redoing will not be installed untilthe end of May. Also due to waiting on Tax refunds I cannot order theentertainment credenza from Diamond Case and have that in until about the firstof June. I though the sales might be going on leading right up until Super Bowland that seems to be the case since Costco has the TV on sale for right around $2000.00,about $500 off full price. My dilemma is do I buy the TV now and just keep ituntil June or do you think there may be better sales between now and June and Ishould wait. I can probably put the TV somewhere in our master bedroom where Ican work on calibration and look for any defects that might cause me to returnthe unit until then. I just don’t want to miss out on the good sales, but thenagain if prices go lower I don’t want tojump the gun too soon.
post #12221 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
***Audiophiles, please stop reading here.***

If anyone is intersted in a MATCHING soundbar - the 38" Vizio S3820W is only $47 at Best Buy (in store only). 1/26/15.

Its an aesthetic match for the P-Series and a good fit for the 50" model as it is not wide enough to fully block the remote sensor when both TV and soundbar are placed onto a stand. After a short break-in period, and when paired with a decent powered sub (which I happen to have on hand) its actually pretty decent for stereo listening.

***Audiophiles, you may now begin reading again.***
post #12222 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Samples View Post
Here’s a dilemma I have that I thought I would run by youguys. I have been following this thread since it started right after CES 2014.I know that the P70 is the TV I am looking to purchase for the living room.Problem is that our hardwood floors that we are redoing will not be installed untilthe end of May. Also due to waiting on Tax refunds I cannot order theentertainment credenza from Diamond Case and have that in until about the firstof June. I though the sales might be going on leading right up until Super Bowland that seems to be the case since Costco has the TV on sale for right around $2000.00,about $500 off full price. My dilemma is do I buy the TV now and just keep ituntil June or do you think there may be better sales between now and June and Ishould wait. I can probably put the TV somewhere in our master bedroom where Ican work on calibration and look for any defects that might cause me to returnthe unit until then. I just don’t want to miss out on the good sales, but thenagain if prices go lower I don’t want tojump the gun too soon.

No one can give you that answer only you can make that decision. You'll also have to take into consideration that the longer you wait the closer to 2015 models you will get. Vizio has remained quiet this far and not announced anything new. If you wait till June you may ha e a better idea of what's to come. Of course if you buy now you'll lock in a great price. I've always been of the thought that if you can wait then wait. You take risks either way

Sent from nowhere
post #12223 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Aren't the better sales usually in March anyway? I would wait.
post #12224 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mits mania View Post

Vizio doesn't usually follow the same sales patterns as their models come out on a different schedule. You don't usually see as big of discounts on their sets either. We may see bigger deals when they try to move 2014 out for 2015 but if we go by last year that won't start until around sept/oct.

Sent from nowhere
post #12225 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
No idea what the sales are like since I have never really followed a TV closely. I wasn't even sure if they would be announcing 2015 models any time soon since it took almost all last year to see the E, M, and P series to show up in stores.
post #12226 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I appreciate that, but once competing 2014 sets from better-named manufacturers start getting closer in price, Vizio may be facing some difficulty moving the P70 if they plan to raise them back up to $2500 or so.
post #12227 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Samples View Post
No idea what the sales are like since I have never really followed a TV closely. I wasn't even sure if they would be announcing 2015 models any time soon since it took almost all last year to see the E, M, and P series to show up in stores.
The E and M were released from the beginning of the year. They had sets out during CES I believe. The P series didn't get released until the end

Quote:
I appreciate that, but once competing 2014 sets from better-named manufacturers start getting closer in price, Vizio may be facing some difficulty moving the P70 if they plan to raise them back up to $2500 or so.

I haven't seen and 70" FALD starting at 2500 out of CES. Most of what I have seen is edge lit. Also, before people start saying "better" it may be best to wait and get these in reviewers and owners hands. It's nice to think improvements will be made, but we have all seen new sets falter in the past.

Sent from nowhere
post #12228 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My wife and I tried the best we could to give money to Best Buy but it was a no go. Can't get a P70. Can't even order one. No clue as to when and we need the 24 mo. same-as-cash thing to float it till a tax refund comes in.

Bummer.
post #12229 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Howard View Post
If your Denon has ARC, plug into HDMI 1. If not, you will have to run a optical cable from the TV to your Denon.,

That advice would depend upon what he needs. I run all of my things through my Onkyo AVR and into HDMI 5 so that I can get the super low display lag available on HDMI 5 for my game consoles. If you don't need that or any other special attribute of HDMI 5, by all means use HDMI 1 for ARC.
B Howard and JOHN_RH like this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #12230 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
P60, FW 1.1.14 here.

Got the TV around the end of December, and had no issues until this morning. I hooked up a new AVR & wasn't able to get any signal using HDMI5 so I switched to HDMI4, where it worked fine for a few hours, but now I'm seeing a thin black line near the top of the screen that goes about halfway across the screen from left to right (pics attached). I've tried toggling GLL & turning the TV off/on, and the line also appears using the built in Netflix app, so I don't think its the AVR. I don't remember seeing anything like this in the thread so far; does anyone have any suggestions here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-26 13.33.19.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	503993   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-26 13.06.28.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	504001  
post #12231 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I am looking for some 4K demo material, specifically from Samsung that shows scenes shot in the Swiss alps.

Eugene
post #12232 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 11:08 AM

***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1per View Post
P60, FW 1.1.14 here.

Got the TV around the end of December, and had no issues until this morning. I hooked up a new AVR & wasn't able to get any signal using HDMI5 so I switched to HDMI4, where it worked fine for a few hours, but now I'm seeing a thin black line near the top of the screen that goes about halfway across the screen from left to right (pics attached). I've tried toggling GLL & turning the TV off/on, and the line also appears using the built in Netflix app, so I don't think its the AVR. I don't remember seeing anything like this in the thread so far; does anyone have any suggestions here?

Vizio would most likely try to have you do a full reset. You may want to try that before reaching out to them. It could be a "stuck" setting. It could be a number of things. If the full reset doesn't work I would call/contact Vizio and provides the pictures to them. I would also try connecting the old AVR and disconnecting the new AVR to see if any difference happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
I am looking for some 4K demo material, specifically from Samsung that shows scenes shot in the Swiss alps.

Eugene
There is only 1 video for that and it was in the torrent that had the 4k videos that were playable on the P series.

Sent from nowhere
post #12233 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Vizio would most likely try to have you do a full reset. You may want to try that before reaching out to them. It could be a "stuck" setting. It could be a number of things. If the full reset doesn't work I would call/contact Vizio and provides the pictures to them. I would also try connecting the old AVR and disconnecting the new AVR to see if any difference happens.

There is only 1 video for that and it was in the torrent that had the 4k videos that were playable on the P series.

Sent from nowhere
I'am a B1E owner and I got the update last week,

Also where do I find the torrent videos like the Samsung Swiss alps demo ?
Thanks
post #12234 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Completely off topic - I think.

This forum has been a great resource since picking up my P70 a month ago, so now I want to return the favor.

If anyone here is like me and just beginning the building-out of your home viewing kit, I whole heartily make the following suggestion.

I just paired my P70 with a Yamaha RX-V377BL receiver (I'd imagine any decent one is great) and the Energy Take Classic 5.1 surround sound speakers. I think they're made by Klipsch.

Anywho, for a grand total of $650 of audio hardware the result is amazing. 4K pass-thru on the receiver along with ARC makes for some very fun viewing using Netflix 4K and a whole lot of wow with blu-ray. Can't wait for the Ultra HD blu-ray later this year!
post #12235 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any updates on the Ultraflix App?
post #12236 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingram View Post
I'am a B1E owner and I got the update last week,

Also where do I find the torrent videos like the Samsung Swiss alps demo ?
Thanks

Do a search for torrent in this thread you'll find it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdepoch View Post

You'll have to be more specific. It's an app, it has 4k content...not sure there is much more to say than that. The app itself is meh, but works.

Sent from nowhere
post #12237 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdepoch View Post
On its suck factor?
post #12238 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

You'll have to be more specific. It's an app, it has 4k content...not sure there is much more to say than that. The app itself is meh, but works.

Sent from nowhere
But its out? I havent been able to find it in my app store. Maybe I need to look harder? That being said... it doesnt look so great from the sounds of it? Any good content at least?
post #12239 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillRob View Post
If you haven't already purchased some component cables for your Wii, you might want to hold off. I posted earlier today that the washed-out issue returned and no amount of switching between 480i and 480p will fix it for me again. Not sure what the deal is.

So I ordered one of these today: http://www.amazon.com/DragonPad%C2%A...rds=wii+2+hdmi

I will report back on whether or not it helps in case anyone is interested.

I said I would report back on this so....

The Wii2HDMI adapter worked to resolve my issue with the super washed out colors connecting the Wii via component to my P70. So if any other P series owners also have an original Wii that they still use, I can recommend the Wii2HDMI. All colors look normal now.

And I finally got the 1.1.14 update this weekend.
Googer and fafrd like this.
post #12240 of 18018 Old 01-26-2015, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
That advice would depend upon what he needs. I run all of my things through my Onkyo AVR and into HDMI 5 so that I can get the super low display lag available on HDMI 5 for my game consoles. If you don't need that or any other special attribute of HDMI 5, by all means use HDMI 1 for ARC.
This is what I am doing with mine. I have my directv plugged into my xbox one then into the denon so I kinda need to keep it plugged into HDMI 5. I have an extra optical cable from an old receiver I used to have so I will try that first. Thanks for the help from everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page