***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 443 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4644Likes

post #13261 of 18018 Old 02-16-2015, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
These FW updates seem to be popular.

Vizio 70" p702ui-b3 UHDTV | Yamaha TSR-7810 4K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC AMERICA PL 200 II (Sub) | JBL Studio Speakers 190x2 (F), 180x2(S), 130x2 (RS), 120c (C) | ASROCK Z87 | I7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Zotac Nvidia 1070 | Windows 10 64bit | PS4 XBox1X WiiU Switch | Samsung Galaxy S8 Active (Android Version 8 Oreo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13262 of 18018 Old 02-16-2015, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
Damn all these new folks with the P50 B1E getting the firmware update within days is driving me nuts. I've been stuck on 1.0.1 for too long. Vizio, what is the method to your madness?!?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's odd. My brother got the P502ui-B1E on Friday. He hasn't been updated. My P502ui-B1 came on the 5th. It updated to 1.16 that day and it updated to 1.19 today.
post #13263 of 18018 Old 02-16-2015, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpizzle84 View Post
So besides the 120hz bug and the sharpness bug, what else are we waiting on having fixed?
I've had .19 for over a week, and and haven't had to fix the sharpness a single time since. If we can get more people experiencing the same thing, it might be safe to say it's fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13264 of 18018 Old 02-16-2015, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Howard View Post
I have a p70 with an avr. I use the avr for all my sources other than my XBox. I have my avr using HDMI 1 to get return audio and HDMI 5 for the XBox to get minimal lag. Since HDMI 1 will display 4k 30 and my MINIX Neo 8h plus only outputs 4k 30 (don't believe anything other than a PC will) I get the best of both. I also have no problem with audio sync using this approach. Many have used HDMI 5 for everything with no problems. I would ask if they have any audio sync issues with the via apps but maybe not. My setup uses arc for the via apps back through HDMI 1. However, I also have an optical connection from the p70 to the arc as well. I have had some sync issues using the optical but it will also work. Hope this was of some use to you.

Edit: I also have optical from my XBox to my avr to reduce audio lag.
Can you use ARC from HDMI 5?
post #13265 of 18018 Old 02-16-2015, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalpro View Post
ARC only works on HDMI-1 I believe.
post #13266 of 18018 Old 02-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpizzle84 View Post
So besides the 120hz bug and the sharpness bug, what else are we waiting on having fixed?
I'm hoping they improve/fix the 3:2 pulldown detection ("film mode"). HDGuru's review noted that this TV failed their 3:2 pulldown test where even other TV's in Vizio's lineups (and pretty much all TV's in the last 5 years) passed it.

And it is, indeed, quite awful, especially if you encounter "challenging" material. We watched "How To Get Away With Murder" on ABC tonight and it seemed to "freeze" briefly at almost every cut-scene, I suspect the show is edited with 60fps gear. So distracting. Then we switched to "Gotham" on Fox and it seems perfectly fine (not a 720p issue).

I've set my DirecTV receiver to deliver native (in these cases, 720p). In 1080i mode I get window-blind artifacts on top of the cut-scene freezing that I've never seen before on any previous TV. Terrible processing. Maybe sometime in the future someone will sell a good 4k upscaler that can bypass this mess.
Riekopo likes this.
post #13267 of 18018 Old 02-16-2015, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes stuck and dead pixels are a problem at least on the p65 from Best Buy. I have had three panels in a row with either a dead or bright pixel. I called Vizio and they said any dead or bright pixels would mean a replacement. Now I have to decide on replacing it through Vizio or Best Buy again. I guess I just have bad luck. Who knows.
post #13268 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalpro View Post
No, only hdmi 1.
post #13269 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I was told a few weeks ago (by a rep) that they are working on the 120hz HDMI handshake issue, but I hope they aren't taking that back.

I might give them another call right now.

This TV is useless to me without it. I spent good money and I am not okay with the TV not doing the thing I paid for it to do.
post #13270 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 06:14 AM

On the phone now.
post #13271 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 06:20 AM

I'm up to level 2 now.
post #13272 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
From the manual, page 14:
TY for this. This was what I needed to be escalated. On hold now. I was specifically told a few weeks ago that they replicated this issue and were working on a firmware update. If they're going to backtrack on that now, that's not acceptable.

As consumers we deserve better than to buy a product for a feature that doesn't work or that they plan to ignore.

It's not even like it doesn't work at all. It works -- just awfully.

And if Vizio won't fix it, then those of us who bought this TV specifically for this feature MUST instigate a class-action lawsuit or we are essentially allowing them the theft of our money.
post #13273 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 06:34 AM

Tech claims that they have never heard of this issue and have never replicated it despite being told on 1/29/2015 by tech Garet (sp?) that they had been able to reproduce it.

They are denying having any knowledge of this. I am on hold again, as I've asked the lvl2 tech to go speak to someone else. Because I was specifically told they were aware of this and now they're saying they aren't?

"We don't give our customers the runaround, sir," I was told in response to my lie of questioning.

Somehow, I am skeptical.

The tech claims that if the next person she asks says that they have not heard of this issue that I will just have to "troubleshoot" this on the phone with them.

By "this" I'm referring to the known (or maybe not known?) issue with running content at 120hz on HDMI port 5.

I am 100% sure that I was told that this was an issue that Vizio was able to reproduce on their own TVs using GTX 980s. I even remember the tech, Garet, mentioning that they have "amazing" gaming computers that they use to troubleshoot this on. Unless this was all a dream, Vizio is not being completely honest with me.

Last edited by Kevin Weinberg; 02-17-2015 at 06:37 AM.
post #13274 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Are you going to have 117 individual posts about this? Kind of like play by play.
Ph8te, StinDaWg, Chere and 1 others like this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #13275 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 114
any 70 inch models on .19?
post #13276 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Are you going to have 117 individual posts about this? Kind of like play by play.

Sorry. It's just I'm trying to get Vizio to see that everything they tell us is documented because I am fairly certain they will clear up all confusion if we are persistent.

Frankly, there is a lot of confusion about whether or not Vizio is going to fix this or not. Some people in here are claiming that Vizio is not going to and that they have to run at 60hz based on the user manual.

I was told once that it was going to be fixed.

I realize this might not be important to you, but as someone who bought this TV to be used as a gaming monitor, the difference between 60hz and 120hz is so astronomical and so important that the purchase itself becomes a waste without it.

Also, Vizio reads these forums (I was told so by the tech)
post #13277 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Weinberg View Post
Sorry. It's just I'm trying to get Vizio to see that everything they tell us is documented because I am fairly certain they will clear up all confusion if we are persistent.

Frankly, there is a lot of confusion about whether or not Vizio is going to fix this or not. Some people in here are claiming that Vizio is not going to and that they have to run at 60hz based on the user manual.

I realize this might not be important to you, but as someone who bought this TV to be used as a gaming monitor, the difference between 60hz and 120hz is so astronomical and so important that the purchase itself becomes a waste without it.

I exchanged emails with them a few times last month about the issue, and they asked for my PC specs and other info so they could work on it. I wonder when something they ARE able to replicate is actually made known to the techs so they can let customers know it's being fixed, or if that even happens.
post #13278 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6526 Post(s)
Liked: 6242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Weinberg View Post

That wasn't his point, rather than posting like this is Twitter (stream of thought/new post for each occurrence) make 1/2 "main" posts with detailed information. This keeps the clutter down while providing the best information for those that are going through the same issue.

Sent from nowhere
I WANT MORE, StinDaWg and andyv1 like this.
post #13279 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scitek View Post
I exchanged emails with them a few times last month about the issue, and they asked for my PC specs and other info so they could work on it. I wonder when something they ARE able to replicate is actually made known to the techs so they can let customers know it's being fixed, or if that even happens.
Unlikely in an official capacity. I work at a company that is a lot smaller than Vizio, and our support is usually at least 50% in the dark about what we are working on fixing, if not more. There may be some individual techs who know more (maybe they're friends with the developers, maybe they go to lunch together, etc.), but in general I would not expect customer-facing support to have knowledge about such a niche issue.
post #13280 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
Unlikely in an official capacity. I work at a company that is a lot smaller than Vizio, and our support is usually at least 50% in the dark about what we are working on fixing, if not more. There may be some individual techs who know more (maybe they're friends with the developers, maybe they go to lunch together, etc.), but in general I would not expect customer-facing support to have knowledge about such a niche issue.
Well, eventually when I was persistent that they said they were able to replicate it, they finally said basically what you just wrote. That it's a new TV series and they're not always kept up to date on everything. I'm gonna get a call back in an hour once they've spoken with the tech (singular) who works on this area of gaming on the TV. That's likely the one who knows everything about this issue and the only one who can fix it.
post #13281 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
Damn all these new folks with the P50 B1E getting the firmware update within days is driving me nuts. I've been stuck on 1.0.1 for too long. Vizio, what is the method to your madness?!?!?!?
I've had mine for two weeks and still at 1.0.1--I wonder if there's any correlation to REGISTRATION of the set with Vizio. I have not registered mine, preferring instead to wait-out the return period in case there is a fatal problem with the set. And I have zero problems at present so whatever the fw updates might fix, well I've not encountered same yet.

BTW and IMO as for the stuck (or bright) pixel question the decision to return should be based on whether you naturally see it when viewing programs or maybe using it as a computer desktop. Don't see it--don't return it. But I know if there's a defect that causes your eye to return to the spot every time to look for it, well then that there's a problem!

post #13282 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Got my replacement p70 from Amazon yesterday and I didn't find any stuck pixels after nearly going blind looking for one. Now I will try not to look for any!

Also I think I can say definitively the FW updates are based solely on serial #. My previous set never updated after trying 10+ times for the service check...registered both through the TV and Vizio's site. The new one updated after the first attempt (only registered thru TV), so it has to be a range of serial numbers that get the updates.

Only thing I've noticed after getting .14 on my set is the local dimming appears to be lagging now. I calibrated on .4 and noticed ALZ was immediate, but now it can take several seconds for the zones to dim.

I didn't have time to really test this so hopefully it isn't permanently borked now. Anyone else have issues with local dimming after getting the .14 update?
post #13283 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuEv0splash View Post
Got my replacement p70 from Amazon yesterday and I didn't find any stuck pixels after nearly going blind looking for one. Now I will try not to look for any!

Also I think I can say definitively the FW updates are based solely on serial #. My previous set never updated after trying 10+ times for the service check...registered both through the TV and Vizio's site. The new one updated after the first attempt (only registered thru TV), so it has to be a range of serial numbers that get the updates.

Only thing I've noticed after getting .14 on my set is the local dimming appears to be lagging now. I calibrated on .4 and noticed ALZ was immediate, but now it can take several seconds for the zones to dim.

I didn't have time to really test this so hopefully it isn't permanently borked now. Anyone else have issues with local dimming after getting the .14 update?
Make sure you're using Calibrated Dark. But "several seconds" seems way, way too long. Is that hyperbole or an actual time measurement?
post #13284 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeau View Post
Make sure you're using Calibrated Dark. But "several seconds" seems way, way too long. Is that hyperbole or an actual time measurement?
I will do some more testing when I get home from work today.

I didn't time it exactly, and I noticed it initially at the "no signal" screen. Basically it took at least 3, maybe closer to 5 seconds before the zones darkened. After that I loaded up Netflix and I'm pretty sure I saw the zones do the same thing on that dark loading screen.

I'll need to test it with the solid black image on my calibration disk to be sure, so I'm optimistic for now that I'm not sure what I'm seeing. I'll also try toggling the setting a few times to see what's going on.

Regarding Calibrated Dark, would that impact the effectiveness of ALZ? I used Standard as the starting point on my "calibration" because I prefer the Cool color temp setting. Would I see a difference starting with calibrated dark and changing to my preferences?
post #13285 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I will do some more testing when I get home from work today.

I didn't time it exactly, and I noticed it initially at the "no signal" screen. Basically it took at least 3, maybe closer to 5 seconds before the zones darkened. After that I loaded up Netflix and I'm pretty sure I saw the zones do the same thing on that dark loading screen.

I'll need to test it with the solid black image on my calibration disk to be sure, so I'm optimistic for now that I'm not sure what I'm seeing. I'll also try toggling the setting a few times to see what's going on.

Regarding Calibrated Dark, would that impact the effectiveness of ALZ? I used Standard as the starting point on my "calibration" because I prefer the Cool color temp setting. Would I see a difference starting with calibrated dark and changing to my preferences?
If you're talking about turning off the backlighting entirely on a completely black screen: yes, that takes a second or two. But if you're referring to regular local dimming in content, there shouldn't be much of a delay.

Calibrated Dark has an improved local dimming algorithm. You need to stay in Calibrated Dark to use it: you can't save the name of the settings to something else. At least it used to be that way, I'm not sure if they fixed that bug in the latest firmware.
post #13286 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeau View Post
Calibrated Dark has an improved local dimming algorithm. You need to stay in Calibrated Dark to use it: you can't save the name of the settings to something else. At least it used to be that way, I'm not sure if they fixed that bug in the latest firmware.
Just so I understand...I could use Calibrated Dark to start out, re-do my calibration disk, and just make sure NOT to save my new settings as a custom preset and I could still benefit from the improved local dimming Cal Dark provides?
post #13287 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Just so I understand...I could use Calibrated Dark to start out, re-do my calibration disk, and just make sure NOT to save my new settings as a custom preset and I could still benefit from the improved local dimming Cal Dark provides?
Yup.
JuEv0splash likes this.
post #13288 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 09:58 AM

Okay, so there are many conflicting reports. I just got a definitive answer from Vizio (regarding the 120hz handshake issue)

They have a team of engineers working on it. They strongly believe they can fix this issue in a future firmware update. The recent FW update (1.19) was very minor and only addresses sharpness and color issues.

No ETA.

To the previous posters who were told that thing about the 60hz. only, the techs who said that were wrong.

EDIT: Just got another call back.

The NEXT firmware that comes out won't be the one that fixes it, either. If I understand this correctly, it means that whatever comes after 1.19 won't be the one that fixes the "screen blacking out" issue for 120hz. And as for whether the one after that one will fix it, I don't know. They basically just reiterated that they have a team of engineers working on it and that at some point it'll be fixed.
scitek and Kingram like this.

Last edited by Kevin Weinberg; 02-17-2015 at 10:08 AM.
post #13289 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
As I stated, I get the occasional "blink" at [email protected] (but only when using it with my PC) so the problem's not specific to 120Hz. It's annoying but it doesn't happen often enough to bother me much.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #13290 of 18018 Old 02-17-2015, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 41
New owner of a P702UI-B3. Coming from an old Sharp Aquos LC-D64U. First impressions:

1) Blacks are awesome; I can see why people are raving about it
2) I got the update immediately after hooking it up. Registered via the TV
2) 1080p Netflix is amazing. For example, Skyfall looks absolutely stunning, and I can't imagine a 4k format of this film being any better. Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon in 4k is less than stunning, and frankly looks sub-par. Have not tried a BluRay yet, but I hear that it will probably be better than 1080p Netflix as Netflix compresses their 1080p output?
3) 1080i via Uverse really really sucks. This TV craves good source content. Most of the content I watch is either through Uverse or Netflix, and after seeing Netflix films in 1080p it's always so sad to go back to 1080i Uverse. I've tried to search the thread, but does anyone have any more ideas on how to get a good picture out of Uverse service? 720p vs 1080i is still the same level of crappiness. I have the Uverse DVR hooked up directly to HDMI 4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page