***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 538 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4644Likes

post #16111 of 18018 Old 07-23-2015, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
There haven't been any posting post firmware update for any size. When members who calibrate AND post, finish (after they get the update) you'll probably see one posted. From early reports there hasn't been much of any change since 1.19. You also have to remember most members who lost here dont have the P55, just have to be patient for them to be posted it can take hours of work to fully calibrate a set, much less multiple versions (day/night).

Sent from nowhere
No worries man. I know most people hav the 60 or bigger. I knew i had been wading through pages with no results and wanted to make sure i hadnt overlooked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16112 of 18018 Old 07-23-2015, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I saw a comment regarding the new firmware that each size panel needs different calibrations.
I'm going to be buying one of these in the next couple weeks. My plan was for the 60", but are any of the other sizes better quality or more recommended in some way?
post #16113 of 18018 Old 07-23-2015, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdutton24 View Post
No worries man. I know most people hav the 60 or bigger. I knew i had been wading through pages with no results and wanted to make sure i hadnt overlooked

Size isn't so much of an issue as the fact that the P55 is the only IPS panel in the series. I myself started with a P55 and opted to return and replace it with a P60 to get the superior dark room contrast of the VA panel.
Ph8te likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16114 of 18018 Old 07-23-2015, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6576 Post(s)
Liked: 6344
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdutton24 View Post

I did a p55 search but didn't see much for offerings. That will cut things down a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I saw a comment regarding the new firmware that each size panel needs different calibrations.
I'm going to be buying one of these in the next couple weeks. My plan was for the 60", but are any of the other sizes better quality or more recommended in some way?

The 70/60 are the most "popular". The comment is correct. Every TV technically needs its own calibration. Copying settings may get you close l, but it may also look horrible. It's all personal preference. Ether adjust settings to your preference or copy settings and adjust. Neither will be truly accurate, but if you like the picture you see what's the difference .

For copying settings 60/70 are more interchangeable than others down the line. If copying settings it is always best to copy from the same size and firmware that you currently own.

Sent from nowhere
post #16115 of 18018 Old 07-23-2015, 04:12 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Size isn't so much of an issue as the fact that the P55 is the only IPS panel in the series. I myself started with a P55 and opted to return and replace it with a P60 to get the superior dark room contrast of the VA panel.
Yeah i just found that out myself But unfortunately my budget only allowed me to get the 55 inch anyway . On a lighter note im really happy with the set now with the firmware. I was kinda displeased because i was seeing alot of ghosting or trailing when dark figures moved against light backgrounds and it appears much much better now and with the settings i have its looks better overall than it did. I think it could be better though. Heres hoping for some settings soon
post #16116 of 18018 Old 07-23-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Thanks. I remember reading something similar about the 2015 E Series as well. 60 will definitely be my minimum.

I could stretch (budget and space) to a 65", but it sounds like there is no good reason to do that.
post #16117 of 18018 Old 07-23-2015, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Would anyone have calibration settings for a P60 with the most current firmware.
post #16118 of 18018 Old 07-23-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastoneleft_00 View Post
Would anyone have calibration settings for a P60 with the most current firmware.

They haven't been posted yet, eventually they will. Just keep an eye on the calibration thread as most settings get posted there.

Sent from nowhere
post #16119 of 18018 Old 07-23-2015, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:

I have a Backlight setting with numeric values to 100.

Yes, I have Back-light values from 0 to 100.

With Auto Brightness Control on Low/Med/High, Backlight Level cannot be adjusted unless Auto Brightness is OFF. Hence, to test CA brightness changes, Turn off Auto Brightness Control and set Backlight Level somewhere around 20-to-30. I think there's no change in the Back-light Level when changing Clear Action from Off to On or On to Off.

Then, how does the Backlight Level get affected by CA if Auto Brightness Control is on Low, Med, or High at a given Back-light Level setting? 0, 10, 40, 50, 75, or 100? (I don't know, I haven't tried it yet. Mainly because I gave-up on using it long ago.)

Is this clearer than mud?

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 07-23-2015 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Spellwing. :D
post #16120 of 18018 Old 07-23-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Yes, I have Back-light values from 0 to 100.

With Auto Brightness Control on Low/Med/High, Backlight Level cannot be adjusted unless Auto Brightness is OFF. Hence, to test CA brightness changes, Turn off Auto Brightness Control and set Backlight Level somewhere around 20-to-30. I think there's no change in the Back-light Level when changing Clear Action from Off to On or On to Off.

Then, how does the Backlight Level get affected by CA if Auto Brightness Control is on Low, Med, or High at a given Back-light Level setting? 0, 10, 40, 50, 75, or 100? (I don't know, I haven't tried it yet. Mainly because I gave-up on using it long ago.)

Is this clearer than mud?

If you enable CA it disables the ABC of the TV and allows you to adjust the backlight manually.

Sent from nowhere
post #16121 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 12:34 AM

Still no update for my p55... Anytime now Vizio would be great.
post #16122 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 01:17 AM

I don't mind the wait so much as the goofiness of the "Service Check" mechanism. We really need a check-for-update-and-apply-if-available command as on my Rokus, TiVos, etc.
libertyforall likes this.

post #16123 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks to everyone in this thread who has provided all their experience. It has helped me set my TV up as best I can.

I have a P502ui-B1, and just got the 1.2.23UHD update earlier this week.

My experience with the update from 1.1.19 is similar to other ones I've read here. Mainly, the upscaling from Blu-Ray resolution looks a lot better. The anti-judder and motion-interpolation settings are better than before, but I still keep them off. I think the technology is just not there yet.

The most challenging scene I've found yet for all the technologies that this TV uses is the opening scene in Alien: specifically the transition from the shot in which the monitors are flashing imagery onto the helmets, to the shot in the hallway when fluorescent lights kick on and the door to the sleep pods opens.

The reason is that the screen goes totally black, and then the fluorescent lights flickering on REALLY challenges the Active LED zones.

So, with all noise reduction and motion interpolation settings off, all colors calibration set to factory preset, Backlight at 100, gamma set to 2.1, and color at 35, when I set my Blu Ray output mode over HDMI to RGB and switch the TV's video mode from Auto to RGB, I drop the Brightness from 50 to 28, and bump the Contrast from 50 to 55.

With those settings, the Active LED zones don't flicker/drop out, there's no clipping in black or white, and the level of detail I can see in the many dark but highly detailed scenes of Alien pop out with MUCH more clarity than before. I'm very impressed with the updated firmware. Can't wait to see what native Ultra HD Blu Ray looks like.
venus933 likes this.
post #16124 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 560
I calibrated my P70 to BT 1886 last night. Will watch some content and calibrate again before posting. There seems to be quite a difference in 10-point settings between calibrators, so take caution when copying.

Vizio PQ 65
Vizio '14 70 P Series, Calibration settings
Samsung 55ES8000
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Denon X4200, 5.1.4 setup. Monolith 12 Sub
post #16125 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chebzin View Post
Thanks to everyone in this thread who has provided all their experience. It has helped me set my TV up as best I can.

I have a P502ui-B1, and just got the 1.2.23UHD update earlier this week.

My experience with the update from 1.1.19 is similar to other ones I've read here. Mainly, the upscaling from Blu-Ray resolution looks a lot better. The anti-judder and motion-interpolation settings are better than before, but I still keep them off. I think the technology is just not there yet.

The most challenging scene I've found yet for all the technologies that this TV uses is the opening scene in Alien: specifically the transition from the shot in which the monitors are flashing imagery onto the helmets, to the shot in the hallway when fluorescent lights kick on and the door to the sleep pods opens.

The reason is that the screen goes totally black, and then the fluorescent lights flickering on REALLY challenges the Active LED zones.

So, with all noise reduction and motion interpolation settings off, all colors calibration set to factory preset, Backlight at 100, gamma set to 2.1, and color at 35, when I set my Blu Ray output mode over HDMI to RGB and switch the TV's video mode from Auto to RGB, I drop the Brightness from 50 to 28, and bump the Contrast from 50 to 55.

With those settings, the Active LED zones don't flicker/drop out, there's no clipping in black or white, and the level of detail I can see in the many dark but highly detailed scenes of Alien pop out with MUCH more clarity than before. I'm very impressed with the updated firmware. Can't wait to see what native Ultra HD Blu Ray looks like.
There used to be a problem with the local dimming when you raised the contrast above 51. Has this problem gone away with the new firmware?
post #16126 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hello everyone! Long time lurker first time poster.

So far I have absolutely loved the new firmware update but I am running into issues when I try to calibrate the TV in RGB mode.

I'm using Chromapure and the Chromapure Blu-Ray disk and a i1 Display Pro to calibrate.

I have FALD off and all other image enhancements turned off as well during calibration. I am using calibrated mode.

When I adjust my brightness using the brightness pattern located on the Chromapure disk I'm able to lower the brightness to make the below black bars vanish (Level is 30). I can clearly see the above black bars. Everything seems hunky dory right? Nope. When I play a movie the black levels are SUPER crushed. I go back and forth between a movie and the test pattern, and the pattern looks okay but actual movie content is way too dark.

So I reset calibrated mode and turn off all the fluffy stuff (leaving FALD on and motion blur/judder set to 2). I put my PS4 into auto mode again, as well as the TV and everything looks fine again.

So I'm pretty sure that using RGB mode, while great, is somehow not the best choice over all for my set. I have no idea how you guys are able to adjust down to 29 in brightness and not get black crush.

I have tried calibrating from my Xbox One and PS4 and no matter what device I use the results are the same.

Now I wish to ask a question. I am able to dial in my grayscale to a deltE that is under 1.0. I am super scared to mess with color right now (the deltaE error is a lot smaller with the new firmware) so can I adjust grayscale only and not worry about adjusting color?

Thank you,

Pinny
post #16127 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Howard View Post
There used to be a problem with the local dimming when you raised the contrast above 51. Has this problem gone away with the new firmware?
Hmm, I'm not sure what the problem was before, but I haven't noticed anything. Here's what I'm looking for, and why I settled on a figure of 55:

The black letterbox bars are inky when the Brightness is below 31 (but there's still excess grain noise on this Blu Ray of Alien, which is why I went down to 28). They also are inky with the Contrast all the way up to 60. At 60, they suddenly turn grey. I set the Contrast down to 55, because above that level no new information is visible in dark scenes. But even at 60, the whites don't blow out; they don't start to clip until ~70.

Looking for any other anomalies - like screen flickering during difficult scene transitions, blooming, etc. - I don't see anything.
post #16128 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnyhellraiser View Post
Hello everyone! Long time lurker first time poster.

So far I have absolutely loved the new firmware update but I am running into issues when I try to calibrate the TV in RGB mode.

I'm using Chromapure and the Chromapure Blu-Ray disk and a i1 Display Pro to calibrate.

I have FALD off and all other image enhancements turned off as well during calibration. I am using calibrated mode.

When I adjust my brightness using the brightness pattern located on the Chromapure disk I'm able to lower the brightness to make the below black bars vanish (Level is 30). I can clearly see the above black bars. Everything seems hunky dory right? Nope. When I play a movie the black levels are SUPER crushed. I go back and forth between a movie and the test pattern, and the pattern looks okay but actual movie content is way too dark.

So I reset calibrated mode and turn off all the fluffy stuff (leaving FALD on and motion blur/judder set to 2). I put my PS4 into auto mode again, as well as the TV and everything looks fine again.

So I'm pretty sure that using RGB mode, while great, is somehow not the best choice over all for my set. I have no idea how you guys are able to adjust down to 29 in brightness and not get black crush.

I have tried calibrating from my Xbox One and PS4 and no matter what device I use the results are the same.

Now I wish to ask a question. I am able to dial in my grayscale to a deltE that is under 1.0. I am super scared to mess with color right now (the deltaE error is a lot smaller with the new firmware) so can I adjust grayscale only and not worry about adjusting color?

Thank you,

Pinny

Blu-Rays are mastered in 16-255 so that could be part of the problem. So while you can calibrate in RGB unless the source is mastered in RGB and your device is outputting RGB you may see anomalies. I would head over to the calibration thread as there are a ton of informative posts and the information there is centered around the calibration of this series

Sent from nowhere
post #16129 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Blu-Rays are mastered in 16-255 so that could be part of the problem. So while you can calibrate in RGB unless the source is mastered in RGB and your device is outputting RGB you may see anomalies. I would head over to the calibration thread as there are a ton of informative posts and the information there is centered around the calibration of this series

Sent from nowhere
Ah, thank you so much. I'll just stick to auto select then!
post #16130 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anyone with the update notice the multimedia app no longer recognizes files on a USB. Always played off a flash drive and now when I open the app and select video the only thing listed is something called 'sda1'. P60 btw. Checked on my laptop and all files work as usual but TV will not recognize them.
post #16131 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnardellis View Post
Anyone with the update notice the multimedia app no longer recognizes files on a USB. Always played off a flash drive and now when I open the app and select video the only thing listed is something called 'sda1'. P60 btw. Checked on my laptop and all files work as usual but TV will not recognize them.

I've been playing files off of the same USB stick without issues. I haven't noticed any changes in that regard.

Sent from nowhere
post #16132 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 08:16 PM

Arg. Then I am at a loss. What's your drive formatted as? Maybe they changed their formatting requirements
post #16133 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Arg. Then I am at a loss. What's your drive formatted as? Maybe they changed their formatting requirements

Ntfs as it has been since the beginning.

Sent from nowhere
post #16134 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 10:07 PM

Liked: 14
My P70 got updated this afternoon.

WOW. I'm currently watching a downloaded Formula1 practice session. Usually they suck to watch because theyre 50 fps (European coverage) and I like to watch them with max smooth motion for the most fluid action. Previously I'd still get a lot of judder with the transition between good smoothing and bad really jarring, now with the newest update its a big improvement. I can still catch some judder during high speed camera pans but the transition between smooth and judder is so much... smoother than it was before. Much more enjoyable.

I also watched a 1080p movie tonight at 24p without any motion smoothing. Maybe its all in my head but it really seemed clear. I didn't have any options turned up to reduce Motion Blur, but it seemed like I did.

Most importantly: No more screen cutting out on my Chromebox running Kodi (the 120hz cut out)!!!!!! Man such an improvement with this update. So happy.
Ph8te and venus933 like this.
post #16135 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinSyco View Post
Previously I'd still get a lot of judder with the transition between good smoothing and bad really jarring, now with the newest update its a big improvement.
Finally got this update on my P65. I immediately noticed the improved "stability" in the motion processing. On some material, it used to behave like an old low-birate web video, with very sluggish transitions and subsequent catch-ups, unless GLL was enabled at the expense of proper 2:3 pulldown. This was probably the most irritating flaw of the set for me, and it seems quite improved. Very nice.

I'm impressed that Vizio would push out such a significant update this late into the product cycle.
post #16136 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 11:47 PM

I got the update on my P60 this afternoon. Thus far I'm impressed with the Netflix quick-start, though I only use the VIA Netflix app in the rare instances where I want to watch something in 4K. I turned the judder and blur control to their off state; I'll play with them later. I need to take a spin in Destiny on the moon to see if and how local dimming has improved.

post #16137 of 18018 Old 07-24-2015, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
So for those of you who have had the new firmware for a bit...

The motion settings have been changed from a word system 'none, low, medium, high, etc' to a new number system. I believe all the way to the lowest is indeed off but can anyone confirm? A few people with M series 2015 have said these settings apparently don't actually disable them, and to actually disable you have to have game mode on.

Would love any comments from someone who has had it for longer than a few minutes since I just got it and am in the midst of cleaning for a move in a few weeks.
post #16138 of 18018 Old 07-25-2015, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 46
ALZ and Gamma / Luminance -- Working as designed?

I made a post https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post36012442 with some graphs about behavior of ALZ since 2.1.23. In short, ALZ really wrecks the luminance curve (may have always been this way by design) and also dims some cells when the content of other cells brightens, which surprised me. Other post explains it better. Comments appreciated.

R. Aster
post #16139 of 18018 Old 07-25-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Aster View Post
I made a post https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post36012442 with some graphs about behavior of ALZ since 2.1.23. In short, ALZ really wrecks the luminance curve (may have always been this way by design) and also dims some cells when the content of other cells brightens, which surprised me. Other post explains it better. Comments appreciated.

Wouldn't dimming close cells help with a problem of blooming? There would still be a perceived difference, but as long as it maintains the same luminance difference levels there should be no "visible" difference when watching content.

Sent from nowhere
post #16140 of 18018 Old 07-25-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Yes, I have a 64B flash drive that my P70 will no longer read after the update. The drive was formatted using exFAT. It is recognized properly now after reformatting to FAT32.

I'm assuming that for some reason Vizio dropped exFAT support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page