***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread - Page 540 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4643Likes

post #16171 of 18017 Old 07-29-2015, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I may end up posting in here again that it was just a temporary thing or my mind playing tricks, but after the update I am noticing a huge improvement with bad sources. Specifically, my Dish signal (which is of course pretty compressed) was just awful to watch on this set. Particularly in dark scenes or gradients it would almost look like really low resolution video on your computer with big squares/blocks of black everywhere. Almost like watching a minecraft version of a show (exaggerating a little of course).

After the update I checked a lot of different shows and it was far less blocky and jagged when transitioning colors or dark backgrounds. The entire picture had more of a wow factor even through Dish.

It is entirely possible I just had less compression from Dish but if it had something to do with upscaling improvements consider me very impressed.
CleCakYngMfd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16172 of 18017 Old 07-29-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post
I may end up posting in here again that it was just a temporary thing or my mind playing tricks, but after the update I am noticing a huge improvement with bad sources. Specifically, my Dish signal (which is of course pretty compressed) was just awful to watch on this set. Particularly in dark scenes or gradients it would almost look like really low resolution video on your computer with big squares/blocks of black everywhere. Almost like watching a minecraft version of a show (exaggerating a little of course).

After the update I checked a lot of different shows and it was far less blocky and jagged when transitioning colors or dark backgrounds. The entire picture had more of a wow factor even through Dish.

It is entirely possible I just had less compression from Dish but if it had something to do with upscaling improvements consider me very impressed.
Check to make sure the noise reduction settings weren't turned on when it updated.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #16173 of 18017 Old 07-29-2015, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
fafrd >>> I dare you to post comments such as these at the LEG 55EC9300 thread ! You would be chased out of town in total shame ! How dare you ?
Seriously though, the more i read about LG OLEDs the more it appears that near-black performance is one of its weak points and also to achieve those amazing contrast levels it must be calibrated for each input source as it dynamically looks onscreen since contrast varies so much from movie to movie, from broadcast to broadcast, from source to source...
According to the original test of the first LG OLED done by S&V magazine, the reviewer found that a single click of its brightness control level from 55 to 56 decreased black level performance from extremely high levels of 100.000:1 to as low as 4.000:1, which is LCD territory, otherwise the picture being shown would lose too much near-black detail and become murky.
In fairness, I have put zero effort into calibrating the 55EC9300. The out-of-the-box picture quality is leagues better than the P70 was. I spent hours and hours (and hours and hours and hours ) calibrating/tweaking my P70 to get the best PQ it was capable of, and I have not yet broken out my meter on the OLED (partly because they are supposed to break-in prior to calibration).

So perhaps their are ways to make the near-black DSE less noticable (though that necessarily means either crushing black or increasing black levels), but that just means hiding a non-uniformity issue which is pretty fundamental (though not often noticable).

And as far as doing it for each individual input, that's just the way LG has always managed Valibration and it is no big deal. My 55LW5600 was the same way - you calibrate one input (such as Bluray player) and then copy to the other inputs.

The 55EC9300 is the easiest-to-set-up TV and best out-of-the-box PQ I have ever experienced. It is so light that I got it out of the box and set up all by myself without a helper.

But it is not perfect, and especially in the area of uniformity (which is the usual universal grumbling about LCD), it is inferior to today's state-of-the-art LED/LCD panels (amongst which I consider the P70, at least when value/price is figured in).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16174 of 18017 Old 07-29-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Howard View Post
Googer, I was using your calibration settings prior to the recent update. I just changed to your new calibration settings. I have a P70. It seems to me that the reds are better with your new settings. Am I just seeing things. Also, I have the backlight at 100 as you have suggested in your calibration. Now, all the colors pop much more than before. Anyway, thank you for all your efforts. I have noticed a significant improvement.
They measure slightly closer with the current calibration on my set but not enough to be particularly significant. OTOH all measurements on my current calibration were performed with local dimming enabled, whereas previously everything was measured with local dimming disabled, which was then just enabled afterwards. It's quite possible (likely?) that this change in methodology is accounting for this, since it probably reduces the possibility of the measured color response not mirroring colors as reproduced by the set in actual use.
B Howard likes this.
post #16175 of 18017 Old 07-29-2015, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitek View Post
Check to make sure the noise reduction settings weren't turned on when it updated.
Trust me, I spent months with every setting trying to make it look acceptable with Dish. If noise reduction would have helped I would have had it on. I do have it on low right now. It was literally as if it couldn't handle darker shades, or horizontal color gradients. It would just turn them into blocks of solid color. It wasn't too bad from my normal seating area so I just lived with it.

Something in the up-scaling was improved, or the noise reduction was improved, or my Dish signal/compression improved. I don't plan to question it...just going to enjoy it. Just wanted to throw it out there in case anyone else noticed better up-scaling as well. It could be nothing more than a timing thing and something else in my setup improved.
CleCakYngMfd likes this.
post #16176 of 18017 Old 07-29-2015, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 34
For those that understand the CMS:

I have the P70. If I wanted to try to make the reds less orange and more true red what do I fiddle with?

I realize there are limitations with the panel. Many have stated that highly saturated reds will always be off. But I am just interested in making most of the reds more red if possible. I am not all that concerned about overall color accuracy. And I don't mind if the colors aren't super natural looking. Greens and blues that are unnatural don't seem to bother me. But when the red looks more orange I can't help but notice. So I would just like some advice on which numbers to change in the CMS (if possible) to make the red more red. I don't have any calibration equipment so I would just be fiddling by eye.
post #16177 of 18017 Old 07-30-2015, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Has anyone tried the Seiki U-Vision 4K scaling cable? Does it do a better job than the P series internal scaler for upscaling 720 and 1080 content from Directv or BD? Here it is on sale at Sears for $14.88:

http://www.sears.com/seiki-u-vision-...5&AID=11042411

Jack
post #16178 of 18017 Old 07-30-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Has anyone tried the Seiki U-Vision 4K scaling cable? Does it do a better job than the P series internal scaler for upscaling 720 and 1080 content from Directv or BD? Here it is on sale at Sears for $14.88:

http://www.sears.com/seiki-u-vision-...5&AID=11042411
"The chipset, specifically, comes from Marseille Networks and is the VTV0-1222 video processing chip. Marseille is a partner with Technicolor so it is no surprise that their chips perform well in the Technicolor tests. In addition to straight scaling, the Marseille chip will provide adaptive edge enhancement, adaptive sharpening and noise reduction, low-latency processing, and brightness, contrast, and saturation improvement. It is unclear if any of these variables will be user adjustable or if they will be set by Marseille, Technicolor, and Seiki."

http://www.audioholics.com/gadget-re...seiki-u-vision

I would avoid, see no point, will influence your picture quality in ways you cannot adjust.
Ph8te likes this.

Vizio PQ 65
Vizio '14 70 P Series, Calibration settings
Samsung 55ES8000
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Denon X4200, 5.1.4 setup. Monolith 12 Sub
post #16179 of 18017 Old 07-30-2015, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, I'm new here but have been following this thread since last black Friday when I got my 60" p series at Sam's club. I was wondering if anyone was needing to downgrade a 70" that still has a warranty on it and would want to trade their 70" for my 60" with cash from me also! PM me and let me know.

Now to talk about this tv for the first time. I absolutely love it! Its primary use is for gaming on the ps4 and I am highly sensitive to input lag as I used to play counterstrike professionally on pc and screen lag is a no-no. The color reproduction is amazing after I calibrated it. Blacks are amazingly dark and colors are vivid without being overly saturated. Only troubles I have are with using the hdmi 1 port to sync with my vizio 55" soundbar system which occasionally drops here and there but only for a split second and seems to only do it with the ps4 games. I can't wait to see what they do with the 2015 model!
post #16180 of 18017 Old 07-30-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_91 View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here but have been following this thread since last black Friday when I got my 60" p series at Sam's club. I was wondering if anyone was needing to downgrade a 70" that still has a warranty on it and would want to trade their 70" for my 60" with cash from me also! PM me and let me know.

Now to talk about this tv for the first time. I absolutely love it! Its primary use is for gaming on the ps4 and I am highly sensitive to input lag as I used to play counterstrike professionally on pc and screen lag is a no-no. The color reproduction is amazing after I calibrated it. Blacks are amazingly dark and colors are vivid without being overly saturated. Only troubles I have are with using the hdmi 1 port to sync with my vizio 55" soundbar system which occasionally drops here and there but only for a split second and seems to only do it with the ps4 games. I can't wait to see what they do with the 2015 model!
Just sell the 60 locally when the 2015 70 inchers come out Trading seems like a huge pain with the shipping/packaging logistics, $$$.

Vizio PQ 65
Samsung 55ES8000
post #16181 of 18017 Old 07-30-2015, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Been following the thread for quite a while. I know there is no way to request an update but I have had my 65" p-series since early December and I am still on the original firmware. Just wondering if I connected the TV with an ethernet cable would it help get the latest firmware? I was thinking that maybe being connected wirelessly is too slow to get the firmware update? Any help/input would be great.
post #16182 of 18017 Old 07-30-2015, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajonger View Post
Been following the thread for quite a while. I know there is no way to request an update but I have had my 65" p-series since early December and I am still on the original firmware. Just wondering if I connected the TV with an ethernet cable would it help get the latest firmware? I was thinking that maybe being connected wirelessly is too slow to get the firmware update? Any help/input would be great.
I got my last update over wifi ok. Did you register it? In the system info it should show "REG: YES".

There's another date field (LET) that shows the last firmware check. I think it's in GMT though so the date may seem to be in the future.
post #16183 of 18017 Old 07-30-2015, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajonger View Post
Hi all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I can confirm that you need neither a hardwired Ethernet connection nor to register your TV in order to receive updates. I have always had my P65 on WiFi and have received every update for it, albeit fashionably late. I have never registered anything with Vizio, either. If you aren't at least on 1.1.19 there may be a problem that is worth contacting Vizio about. If you haven't yet received 1.2.23, be patient and stay the course. It too shall come.
post #16184 of 18017 Old 07-30-2015, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

...After the update, I am noticing a huge improvement with bad sources...

...It was literally as if it couldn't handle darker shades, or horizontal color gradients.
It would just turn them into blocks of solid color.

Indeed, the latest firmware update helped the dark areas in the compressed streaming movies/TV shows I watch. No more big, multicolor 'Lego' blocks. Some blocking is still there, but it is dark or near-black 'color-matched' and almost all gone. This, with SD and 720/1080 streaming content. Makes for much better viewing of non HD content! Hooray!

Now I need to calibrate the Grayscale/Colors.

(Oh, the default Colors/Grayscale is better now than it was with 1.1.19.)

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 07-30-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Updated Quote.
post #16185 of 18017 Old 07-30-2015, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for confirming it isn't just me! As much as I love this tv I have long regretted not getting a 1080p set. That regret is gone.
post #16186 of 18017 Old 07-31-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 314
The first page of the calibration thread has now been updated to include the P65 and P70 calibrations done by users. If you are in search of calibration settings please check there. Also note that some sets require the contrast to be adjusted such that it will not clip whites early. This is something you MUST check. There are many free resources for doing so but this is important. Otherwise enjoy!!

Always destroying exergy!
post #16187 of 18017 Old 07-31-2015, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
so i'm not sure if my TV or receiver is at fault...but my HDMI-CEC has completely stopped working...i've tried turning it off & on on both devices...next step would be factory reseting both devices but i honestly don't feel like dealing with having to set everything up again...

has this happened to anyone else? (i have a P702ui-B3)
post #16188 of 18017 Old 07-31-2015, 01:20 PM

Liked: 10
70 inch P series screen damaged what next

Hi Guys,

My 4 month old P series 70 inch has a nice crack on the LED screen and is cannot be repaired. I dont see any P series 70" out there any longer is the new M series 2015 considered the replacement or should hold out and wait to see the refreshed P series ????

or are there any other bang for the buck UHD models out there that i should be looking at?

thank you
post #16189 of 18017 Old 07-31-2015, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaimo View Post
Hi Guys,

My 4 month old P series 70 inch has a nice crack on the LED screen and is cannot be repaired. I dont see any P series 70" out there any longer is the new M series 2015 considered the replacement or should hold out and wait to see the refreshed P series ????
Just carious, how did the screen get crack?
post #16190 of 18017 Old 07-31-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sharp pulling out of the TV market is going to have potentially big issues for Vizio, as they supply a significant portion of their panels.

This combined with Vizio going for an IPO makes for a shaky future.

Vizio PQ 65
Samsung 55ES8000
post #16191 of 18017 Old 07-31-2015, 02:39 PM

From the article on Verge, it appears like Hisense is taking over Sharp's TV business.
post #16192 of 18017 Old 07-31-2015, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post
Sharp pulling out of the TV market is going to have potentially big issues for Vizio, as they supply a significant portion of their panels.

Sharp plans to stop sales of integrated televisions in most if not all markets they're in right now but that doesn't mean that they won't continue to manufacture panels for sale to other TV OEMs. See this.
Ph8te and venus933 like this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #16193 of 18017 Old 07-31-2015, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6282 Post(s)
Liked: 5921
Quote:

I believe their biggest business is selling panels not actually making a full TV. It probably makes more sense for them to just stick to the Panel business.

Sent from nowhere
post #16194 of 18017 Old 07-31-2015, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6282 Post(s)
Liked: 5921
Quote:
Hi Guys,

or are there any other bang for the buck UHD models out there that i should be looking at?

thank you

2015 P series should be out within the next 60-90 days. If you can wait then I would do so. If you need a TV now and can't get yours replaced I would go with the M series if you want to stick with Vizio and FALD.

Sent from nowhere
post #16195 of 18017 Old 07-31-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprawks View Post
Just carious, how did the screen get crack?
6 Year old and a baseball
post #16196 of 18017 Old 07-31-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
2015 P series should be out within the next 60-90 days. If you can wait then I would do so. If you need a TV now and can't get yours replaced I would go with the M series if you want to stick with Vizio and FALD.

Sent from nowhere
Thank you for the info...
post #16197 of 18017 Old 07-31-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
6 year old and a baseball
ouch!!
post #16198 of 18017 Old 08-01-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1941
Quote:

If anything Sharp pulling out of the TV manufacturing business benefits Vizio as there's one less competitor. As for their panel business they'll probably partner with someone or sell it off but they'll still be produced regardless. Vizio is not the only TV manufacturer to rely on Sharp panels which includes Samsung.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #16199 of 18017 Old 08-01-2015, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
If anything Sharp pulling out of the TV manufacturing business benefits Vizio as there's one less competitor. As for their panel business they'll probably partner with someone or sell it off but they'll still be produced regardless. Vizio is not the only TV manufacturer to rely on Sharp panels which includes Samsung.
Hisense is taking over the Sharp brand, so "Sharp" TVs will still be in the marketplace. Will be interesting to see what happens to the panel factories.
venus933 likes this.

Vizio PQ 65
Samsung 55ES8000
post #16200 of 18017 Old 08-01-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1941
Quote:
Hisense is taking over the Sharp brand, so "Sharp" TVs will still be in the marketplace. Will be interesting to see what happens to the panel factories.
Yeah, I knew that so I guess I wasn't thinking. For now Sharp is still in the panel business.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page