Is my New Vizio dead on arrival? Help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-19-2014, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is my New Vizio dead on arrival? Help!

Brand-new Vizio E420-Bi arrived today. Assembled the base, plugged in the various connectors, put batteries in the remote -- and got nothing. Tried the power button on the unit itself. Nothing. As far as I know, the socket's it's plugged into is hot and the power cable is attached correctly. Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot this thing before throwing it in the garbage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-19-2014, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I would validate the output of that socket, can you try another one just to be sure?
post #3 of 8 Old 09-19-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the socket is working with other appliances.

Vizio says it sounds like it's just a dud, which bums me out. I bought it on Amazon via third party seller, so Vizio basically shrugged me off. Fortunately, the amazon folks have assured me that I'm covered through their A to Z program, but re-packing and shipping it back to wherever is gonna suck because I don't own a car....

Should I hesitate to get another one of these E-series? I've actually heard pretty nice things about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-19-2014, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
From which carrier did it arrive, UPS, FEdX? You can schedule a home pickup online [or probably phone] for either, provided you have the return shipping label info from amazon.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-19-2014, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Say, you're right. It was FedEx. I feel better now.

I probably have no good reason to be spooked about the Visio E series in general, but assuming for the moment that I was... is there an equivalent entry-level 42" LCD HDTV that merits looking into?

Maybe it's the seller I should avoid. there was an odd sticker across the box stating that the seller had opened it to add additional packing materials "to reduce the risk of damage in transit." (Since when would Vizio not know how to box up their own TVs?) Then when Vizio ran the serial number over the phone, they told me the item had come from Wal-Mart. Does that mean this company is reselling remaindered/returned/defective stuff from Wal-Mart somehow?

Last edited by GanChan; 09-19-2014 at 09:09 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-20-2014, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanChan View Post
Say, you're right. It was FedEx. I feel better now.

I probably have no good reason to be spooked about the Visio E series in general, but assuming for the moment that I was... is there an equivalent entry-level 42" LCD HDTV that merits looking into?

Maybe it's the seller I should avoid. there was an odd sticker across the box stating that the seller had opened it to add additional packing materials "to reduce the risk of damage in transit." (Since when would Vizio not know how to box up their own TVs?) Then when Vizio ran the serial number over the phone, they told me the item had come from Wal-Mart. Does that mean this company is reselling remaindered/returned/defective stuff from Wal-Mart somehow?
I'd say you hit the nail on the head. Sounds like a refurb.

Bought my Vizio from Dell and it was not opened. That's ridiculous and should've been the first major read flag. Even if the TV wasn't a refurb there's no reason any company should be opening up the product first. The fact you called Vizio and said what they didn't it definitely sounds like they are selling returns/refurbs/defective TVs.

Can you state who you bought it from? If the price was incredibly lower than a new model anywhere else that also should've been a flag. Anything that's to good to be true often is.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-20-2014, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

The third party seller was electronics101deals. Their price wasn't particularly low, but Amazon proper had temporarily run out of stick. (Next time I'll just wait!) I've bought from third party vendors in the past without problems, but in this case I'm going to just collect my refund and try again elsewhere. Maybe with another Vizio, maybe not....although another make/model could just as easily arrive DOA, of course.

Last edited by GanChan; 09-20-2014 at 03:58 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-21-2014, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanChan View Post
The third party seller was electronics101deals. Their price wasn't particularly low, but Amazon proper had temporarily run out of stick. (Next time I'll just wait!) I've bought from third party vendors in the past without problems, but in this case I'm going to just collect my refund and try again elsewhere. Maybe with another Vizio, maybe not....although another make/model could just as easily arrive DOA, of course.
Yeah I just figured mention the seller so if other people dealt with them problem free before it may just be a fluke or to warn others.

But yeah it's not so much then price that was scary, just the fact it was opened doesn't sound right at all nor obviously when Vizio said it didn't match up right.

I don't think it's a common place issue with them in that model/size you had, and like you said any TV could arrive defective. That doesn't freak me out, just the part about where you said it was opened by the seller AND that Vizio said it was a Wal-Mart TV makes it sound really fishy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page