55" Panasonic 240Hz TC-55AS680U. Help Please. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I play Battlefield 4 and I haven't noticed the input lag being bad at all. I turn off all the settings that normally mess with graphics card performance and leave it calibrated the way I like it so I don't have to tweak settings to switch to movies. Just turn on game mode.

You have to stand for something-or you will fall for anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott5626 View Post
I play Battlefield 4 and I haven't noticed the input lag being bad at all. I turn off all the settings that normally mess with graphics card performance and leave it calibrated the way I like it so I don't have to tweak settings to switch to movies. Just turn on game mode.
You played it on consoles or computer?
post #33 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wow I wish I paid that much for mine. Great TV overall by my standards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadRAWR View Post
You played it on consoles or computer?
console Xbox One

You have to stand for something-or you will fall for anything
post #35 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott5626 View Post
console Xbox One
Hey Scott I pm aka private message you.
post #36 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeinck View Post
Is there an option called Intelligent Frame Creation (IFC)? Some Panasonic sets have this as the setting. I checked the Owner's Manual, which isn't of much help.
Nope. I'm pretty sure "Motion picture setting" is their name for it with this set.
post #37 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
can you guys share your settings with this TV? Thanks in advance.
post #38 of 165 Old 10-22-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

just went back with the move coupon and with just a little hassle they adjusted my receipt, this deal is getting better. Still looking for help with these settings though, all these tweaks are making this difficult, any help would be appreciated.
post #39 of 165 Old 10-22-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldonandy View Post
just went back with the move coupon and with just a little hassle they adjusted my receipt, this deal is getting better. Still looking for help with these settings though, all these tweaks are making this difficult, any help would be appreciated.
O wow nice man!! The mover coupon is the one from the post office right? How are you liking the TV? Like it for movies and games?
post #40 of 165 Old 10-22-2014, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For this price it is hard to beat. I'd love to check it out with some content other than the best buy loop.
post #41 of 165 Old 10-22-2014, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh View Post
For this price it is hard to beat. I'd love to check it out with some content other than the best buy loop.
So true but if you're a gamer it might have terrible input lag. It would be cool if best buy had gaming consoles connected to it so you can try it out.
post #42 of 165 Old 10-22-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
So true but if you're a gamer it might have terrible input lag. It would be cool if best buy had gaming consoles connected to it so you can try it out.
Yes that would be a deal breaker if it's super slow.
post #43 of 165 Old 10-23-2014, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh View Post
Yes that would be a deal breaker if it's super slow.
Yeah I know =\
post #44 of 165 Old 10-23-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
O wow nice man!! The mover coupon is the one from the post office right? How are you liking the TV? Like it for movies and games?
yep, just went to the post office and they had no problem giving me one. I like the set, I actually replaced a 50" samsung plasma, have always been on the plasma boat but I love new things and like the smart features. All in all, it is driving me nuts trying to get the picture right, the plasma just seemed to fall together so easily picture wise but it's a cool tv for a good price. I have always been a big fan of panny and I think they will be really competitive in the LED market and are kind of a sleeper right now because their focus was on plasma but their engineering is always top notch and will soon be at the top of the pack compared to some of the junk out there.
post #45 of 165 Old 10-23-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldonandy View Post
yep, just went to the post office and they had no problem giving me one. I like the set, I actually replaced a 50" samsung plasma, have always been on the plasma boat but I love new things and like the smart features. All in all, it is driving me nuts trying to get the picture right, the plasma just seemed to fall together so easily picture wise but it's a cool tv for a good price. I have always been a big fan of panny and I think they will be really competitive in the LED market and are kind of a sleeper right now because their focus was on plasma but their engineering is always top notch and will soon be at the top of the pack compared to some of the junk out there.
Any luck getting the picture settings right? Have you played anything fast motion on this unit yet? and if you do gaming, how is the input lag on it.
post #46 of 165 Old 10-24-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any luck getting the picture settings right? Have you played anything fast motion on this unit yet? and if you do gaming, how is the input lag on it.
Still tinkering, some channels look really good and some look noisy, I understand that the broadcast may be a factor and maybe I am just looking more critically than I normally do but I still feel there is a ways to go in terms of getting the settings right. I guess I just don't understand the contrast and brightness because with plasma it was easier to get it right. I also, don't know how far to take it with the advanced processing.
post #47 of 165 Old 10-24-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I bought this TV a week ago, and it is great for the money.

I have no input lag problems at all, and i game on my tv all the time. XBONE and PC both, and have seen no problems.

I turn off every motion enhancement option there is, so none of that crap is on. Once all that is off, it runs great, the picture is good, its sharp as my computer monitor, and has great colors with lots of options.

Im still lurking here until someone with some calibration tools runs a full calibration and posts the settings they used. I am mostly eyeballing it, and have it looking very nice. I can tell it isnt perfect, but it is very good.

I tried the Sharp 60" that Best Buy had for the same price, and it was complete garbage. the only way to turn off the soap opera effect was to turn on their game mode, which jacked up all the colors, and removed a large chunk of the customization options. It was never clear, and had terrible screen uniformity.

This TV has its drawbacks, as any 55" for 799 does.
Its viewing angles arent great. Its definitely not an IPS panel, but nothing in this price range is, so i had to deal because my budget was maxed for now.
It also doesnt have local dimming, and it is edge lit.
This is not a knock on the TV, those are negatives that come along with the price range.

Overall, I am very happy with this purchase, and will be keeping this one. It is well worth the $799 price of admission.
post #48 of 165 Old 10-24-2014, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam M Stache View Post
I bought this TV a week ago, and it is great for the money.

I have no input lag problems at all, and i game on my tv all the time. XBONE and PC both, and have seen no problems.

I turn off every motion enhancement option there is, so none of that crap is on. Once all that is off, it runs great, the picture is good, its sharp as my computer monitor, and has great colors with lots of options.

Im still lurking here until someone with some calibration tools runs a full calibration and posts the settings they used. I am mostly eyeballing it, and have it looking very nice. I can tell it isnt perfect, but it is very good.

I tried the Sharp 60" that Best Buy had for the same price, and it was complete garbage. the only way to turn off the soap opera effect was to turn on their game mode, which jacked up all the colors, and removed a large chunk of the customization options. It was never clear, and had terrible screen uniformity.

This TV has its drawbacks, as any 55" for 799 does.
Its viewing angles arent great. Its definitely not an IPS panel, but nothing in this price range is, so i had to deal because my budget was maxed for now.
It also doesnt have local dimming, and it is edge lit.
This is not a knock on the TV, those are negatives that come along with the price range.

Overall, I am very happy with this purchase, and will be keeping this one. It is well worth the $799 price of admission.
how would you rate this tv to an vizio m 55 inch tv that has an ips pannel anf local dimming for the same price of this tv unit. now i know this panasonic tv good for gaming thats a plus. btw what games you played on this unit. thank you
post #49 of 165 Old 10-24-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
how would you rate this tv to an vizio m 55 inch tv that has an ips pannel anf local dimming for the same price of this tv unit. now i know this panasonic tv good for gaming thats a plus. btw what games you played on this unit. thank you
Personally, i chose to go away from Vizio this time, purely because my last TV was a Vizio. I paid $1800 for it in early 2011, as it had the most features for the money. It died this year, so i got almost 4 years out of it. I loved that TV, as it had every feature available at the time.

that is the tradeoff you choose if you pick Vizio. they give you the best features/technology for the money, but they usually lack in the build quality/longevity. I did get 4 years out mine, which isnt terrible, but i would have liked to get 5 or so for nearly $2k.

If you want all the tech and are ok with normally slightly lower picture quality, but you get the features, then go Vizio.
If you want what you hope to be a better built, slightly better picture quality, but lacking some other features, then get the panasonic.

I dont think you will be disappointed with either.
post #50 of 165 Old 10-24-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Personally, i chose to go away from Vizio this time, purely because my last TV was a Vizio. I paid $1800 for it in early 2011, as it had the most features for the money. It died this year, so i got almost 4 years out of it. I loved that TV, as it had every feature available at the time.

that is the tradeoff you choose if you pick Vizio. they give you the best features/technology for the money, but they usually lack in the build quality/longevity. I did get 4 years out mine, which isnt terrible, but i would have liked to get 5 or so for nearly $2k.

If you want all the tech and are ok with normally slightly lower picture quality, but you get the features, then go Vizio.
If you want what you hope to be a better built, slightly better picture quality, but lacking some other features, then get the panasonic.

I dont think you will be disappointed with either.
I pm you sir if you don't mind, thank you!
post #51 of 165 Old 10-24-2014, 09:35 PM

My account is too new, it wont let me PM you back, but here is my response.

i specifically went and played a game of destiny just to make sure, and i didnt notice any lag at all, so if there is any, it is so low i cant tell, and i am a picky gamer.

you will have no problems with this tv in your scenario, just turn on the game mode that turns off the motion enhancement.

Black Friday i would guess is not going to have all that many higher class tv's down at this price. there may be a few. usually they sell the class lower than this one, at way lower prices. If you have the luxury to wait for Black Friday, then you probably should, as there are always a few deals that are crazy good. I didnt have that luxury, so i went with the best deal i could find that wasnt a Vizio for me.

I thought of the same thing, but i didnt have the time to wait for black friday, so i went with this.
post #52 of 165 Old 10-24-2014, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I don't care what the dude above said about being fine for gaming. Unless I got a defective unit, it has 60-70ms display lag maybe even more. In game mode all processing turned off. My GT30 and my Sony have around 22ms.

It is clearly noticeable with online FPS.

But good luck.
post #53 of 165 Old 10-25-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdr View Post
I don't care what the dude above said about being fine for gaming. Unless I got a defective unit, it has 60-70ms display lag maybe even more. In game mode all processing turned off. My GT30 and my Sony have around 22ms.

It is clearly noticeable with online FPS.

But good luck.
huh, im not saying that it is impossible. Im only saying i have played multiple games, and come originally from PC gaming. i notice no lag, and hasnt caused me any issues.

you have game mode on too?

Im in Custom

backlight = 50
contrast = 80
brightness = -25
color = 90
tint = 0
sharpness = 42
color temp = normal
vivid color = off
adaptive backlight control = off
cats = off
video NR = off
mpeg remaster = off
motion picture setting setting = off

advanced picture = game mode on
1080p pure direct = off
black level = light
screen settings
screen format full
overscan = off
post #54 of 165 Old 10-25-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
huh, im not saying that it is impossible. Im only saying i have played multiple games, and come originally from PC gaming. i notice no lag, and hasnt caused me any issues.

Im in Custom

backlight = 50
contrast = 80
brightness = -25
color = 90
tint = 0
sharpness = 42
color temp = normal
vivid color = off
cats = off
video NR = off
mpeg remaster = off
motion picture setting setting = off

advanced picture = game mode on
1080p pure direct = off
black level = light
screen settings
screen format full
overscan = off
Yeah, I tried everything. I come from PC gaming too from when 9800 PRO was king..lol. Maybe Panasonic is using different manufacturers to make the panels/cpu's? not sure. Glad you have had positive results with lag though.

I'm waiting for the Vizio P to come down in price after reading the Lag results from it on CNET. Less than 20ms!
post #55 of 165 Old 10-25-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdr View Post
Yeah, I tried everything. I come from PC gaming too from when 9800 PRO was king..lol. Maybe Panasonic is using different manufacturers to make the panels/cpu's? not sure. Glad you have had positive results with lag though.

I'm waiting for the Vizio P to come down in price after reading the Lag results from it on CNET. Less than 20ms!
You must have had a bad unit because I have yet to notice any major input lag playing ps4.

Good luck with vizio. I had a 55" E, two 60" E sets and a 55" P so far and all of them went back. The local dimming doesn't work well and is useless for gaming and all the sets I had produced inaccurate colors and major light bleed and flashlighting. Not saying you will have the same issues but all 4 sets I had this year were letdowns especially the P series set.
post #56 of 165 Old 10-25-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkijustin View Post

You must have had a bad unit because I have yet to notice any major input lag playing ps4.

Good luck with vizio. I had a 55" E, two 60" E sets and a 55" P so far and all of them went back. The local dimming doesn't work well and is useless for gaming and all the sets I had produced inaccurate colors and major light bleed and flashlighting. Not saying you will have the same issues but all 4 sets I had this year were letdowns especially the P series set.
I had the M552i-B2 a couple weeks ago. I didn't think it was worth the price premium over the E550i-B2...especially after reading the reviews on CNET and rtings. The 2014 E-series has really gotten good reviews...in particular the picture and black levels. So as I was going to Best Buy to exchange the M552i-B2 for the E550i-B2, a thread on slickdeals came up for the Panny set in this thread (TC-55AS680U) and I pulled the trigger for the Panny. I've had for about a week and a half, and there are things I really like about the set. The stand is far superior over the Vizio models as far as stability goes. The SmartTV interface is way nice. The picture so far has been OK I guess.

I have a Vizio E390i-A1 as our bedroom TV and IMO, the picture seems better than the Panny...but is that because it's a smaller screen and the PPI is better? I have a few days to decide to exchange the Panny for the E550i-B2. But it sounds like from your experience, that the Vizios you had have been all misses. Also considering a Samsung UN55F6300AF from 2013 that's $600. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by Hank3; 10-25-2014 at 08:32 PM.
post #57 of 165 Old 10-25-2014, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank3 View Post
I had the M552i-B2 a couple weeks ago. I didn't think it was worth the price premium over the E550i-B2...especially after reading the reviews on CNET and rtings. The 2014 E-series has really gotten good reviews...in particular the picture and black levels. So as I was going to Best Buy to exchange the M552i-B2 for the E550i-B2, a thread on slickdeals came up for the Panny set in this thread (TC-55AS680U) and I pulled the trigger for the Panny. I've had for about a week and a half, and there are things I really like about the set. The stand is far superior over the Vizio models as far as stability goes. The SmartTV interface is way nice. The picture so far has been OK I guess.

I have a Vizio E390i-A1 as our bedroom TV and IMO, the picture seems better than the Panny...but is that because it's a smaller screen and the PPI is better? I have a few days to decide to exchange the Panny for the E550i-B2. But it sounds like from your experience, that the Vizios you had have been all misses. Also considering a Samsung UN55F6300AF from 2013 that's $600. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Where could you get that samsung tv for that price? and also I think M55 is little better when it comes to hertz and screen. So I believe it will handle fast action movies/sports and games. And on this forum, they have a thread that talks about the M series and people in there said they were happy they exchange their E series for an M because of the screen looked much better.
post #58 of 165 Old 10-25-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Where could you get that samsung tv for that price? and also I think M55 is little better when it comes to hertz and screen. So I believe it will handle fast action movies/sports and games. And on this forum, they have a thread that talks about the M series and people in there said they were happy they exchange their E series for an M because of the screen looked much better.
Local deal on the Samsung...it's used. The reviews on that unit seem to be that it's a solid unit but the black levels are just OK.

Well I guess I'm going against the grain as far as the E55 being the better value over the M55 for my needs. Switching to the Panny last minute was really an impulse decision as it was a unit that haf 240hz,better SmartTV features, and I assumed the picture was going to be better than the Vizios. But not so sure if the $150 price difference is worth it.
post #59 of 165 Old 10-26-2014, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank3 View Post
Local deal on the Samsung...it's used. The reviews on that unit seem to be that it's a solid unit but the black levels are just OK.

Well I guess I'm going against the grain as far as the E55 being the better value over the M55 for my needs. Switching to the Panny last minute was really an impulse decision as it was a unit that haf 240hz,better SmartTV features, and I assumed the picture was going to be better than the Vizios. But not so sure if the $150 price difference is worth it.

Yeah I guess you're right, if you're a regular user who just watches tvs and movies then E55 is good. I'm about to take a chance with the Vizio and pick up one tomorrow. I heard they have problems with the sounds aka lip sync but lets take a chance and hopefully mine works with everything <3
post #60 of 165 Old 10-26-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Im in Custom

backlight = 50
contrast = 80
brightness = -25
color = 90
tint = 0
sharpness = 42
color temp = normal
vivid color = off
cats = off