55" Panasonic 240Hz TC-55AS680U. Help Please. - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 165 Old 10-26-2014, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by squadRAWR View Post
I'm about to take a chance with the Vizio and pick up one tomorrow.
Dang bro why would you downgrade to the Kia of televisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 165 Old 10-26-2014, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Love this unit. Anyone notice that when off angle, the opposite side of the panel looks lighter when black screens are displayed? I can totally live with this I just want to make sure it is not a factory defect.
post #63 of 165 Old 10-26-2014, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
not a defect, it just doesnt have very good off angle viewing. mine is the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 165 Old 10-27-2014, 08:57 AM

Liked: 10
Yep, mine is the same also. Its a downside of a VA panel. IPS screens have better viewing angles than VA screens but VA have better blacks.

I wish plasma wasnt dead
post #65 of 165 Old 10-27-2014, 09:11 AM

Thanks for making me feel better. Maybe I will post some pics. I feel like my 2014 Samsung H6350 does not do this. It is not IPS.

Hmmmm.....
post #66 of 165 Old 10-27-2014, 09:24 AM

Here is an example. I am sitting on the staircase to the basement. This is a kid's play area. I think I answered my own question about a defect. It completely goes away when you are viewing somewhat straight on and doesn't affect PQ except for black uniformity off angle. My H6350 has seating that is not off angle so that is why I probably don't notice. Otherwise, I love everything about this set.

lepavsforums likes this.

Last edited by mklimesh; 10-27-2014 at 10:20 AM.
post #67 of 165 Old 10-27-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklimesh View Post
Here is an example. I am sitting on the staircase to the basement. This is a kid's play area. I think I answered my own question about a defect. It completely goes away when you are viewing somewhat straight on and doesn't affect PQ except for black uniformity off angle. My H6350 has seating that is not off angle so that is why I probably don't notice. Otherwise, I love everything about this set.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...027_111438.jpg
Yeah I've read reviews hard on this unit and some place someone said that the view angles are pretty bad on this unit, little worst then a typical VA panel. I never had the unit so I can't say from personal experience but a few people online did say that.
post #68 of 165 Old 10-27-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadRAWR View Post
Yeah I've read reviews hard on this unit and some place someone said that the view angles are pretty bad on this unit, little worst then a typical VA panel. I never had the unit so I can't say from personal experience but a few people online did say that.
Viewing angles are actually very good (see attached). They are far better than my Samsung H6350. This is specifically dark screen specific issue as the pic shows in my previous post. My Samsung would be unviewable at the angle I captured below.

Straight on:

Angle:
lepavsforums likes this.

Last edited by mklimesh; 10-27-2014 at 10:23 AM.
post #69 of 165 Old 10-28-2014, 07:08 PM

So Sad.

Discovered bad clouding and flashlighting when watching the beginning of the newer Great Gatsby tonight. It was very pronounced and even showed through some of the scenes. Hadn't noticed it yet on any other widescreen films with top/bottom black bars. Either exchanging it or it is going back.

Hate this.
post #70 of 165 Old 10-28-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Discovered bad clouding and flashlighting when watching the beginning of the newer Great Gatsby tonight. It was very pronounced and even showed through some of the scenes. Hadn't noticed it yet on any other widescreen films with top/bottom black bars. Either exchanging it or it is going back.

Hate this.
And then I used the massage technique on the panel and it worked....wth
post #71 of 165 Old 10-29-2014, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just purchased the last one of these in the Tampa bay area and apparently BB cannot order any at this time.
I did get the $799 price.

Set it up last night and noticed a sporadic shutter effect only on certain TV shows. It was not noticeable during commercials or sports programming, news, etc. Not sure what this is but will see if it happens again tonight.

Did anyone get their custom setting setup for optimal picture during regular viewing (not gaming)?.
If anyone could share these settings it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
post #72 of 165 Old 10-29-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinfla View Post
I just purchased the last one of these in the Tampa bay area and apparently BB cannot order any at this time.
I did get the $799 price.

Set it up last night and noticed a sporadic shutter effect only on certain TV shows. It was not noticeable during commercials or sports programming, news, etc. Not sure what this is but will see if it happens again tonight.

Did anyone get their custom setting setup for optimal picture during regular viewing (not gaming)?.
If anyone could share these settings it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

That's one of the reasons I sent mine back.
Ended up with the Sony 55" 700B. Very satisfied with the Sony panel.
post #73 of 165 Old 10-29-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I just bought this panel. Some of the uniformity issues bug me (I noticed some banding on static images and panning through clouds/skies). This is my first major TV purchase, and I want to make it count. I have two days to return this thing and I want to make a decision.

It seems like this is an issue with most LED displays. How does the uniformity look on yall's displays?

If I wanted to not deal with banding at all, which panel is the way to go? Is there anything in the 50+ inch in the 800-900 price range?
post #74 of 165 Old 10-29-2014, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedqman View Post
I just bought this panel. Some of the uniformity issues bug me (I noticed some banding on static images and panning through clouds/skies). This is my first major TV purchase, and I want to make it count. I have two days to return this thing and I want to make a decision.

It seems like this is an issue with most LED displays. How does the uniformity look on yall's displays?

If I wanted to not deal with banding at all, which panel is the way to go? Is there anything in the 50+ inch in the 800-900 price range?
You were in the same boat as I was. I would go with the 55" Samsung UN55H6350. I heard it's the best for the money around the 800-900 price range. It's on sale too on Best Buy for 900 and could use the movers coupon 10 percent to bring it down to 860.
post #75 of 165 Old 10-29-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:

I have both in the 55" inch version. Uniformity (especially black) on the 6350 is nearly perfect. And, it is a killer TV. It has passed my picky test and is our everyday TV. I have to give the PQ nod to the Panny though (I can never see uniformity issues when a picture is displayed). Howerever, 2 nights ago I discovered bad black uniformity issues on the 680 when watching the dark intro to the newer Great Gatsby. I was bummed because I was so pleased up to that point. What I discovered was two corner flash lighting and two large clouding areas. Believe it or not, I almost eliminated 100% of it using panel massaging. I came across the thread on this forum. Basically, I took a clean microfiber cloth and "wiped" the panel from side to side and up and down. I definitely wiped hard enough for the panel to change to white where I was wiping (the TV was on) but not hard enough to break it. I will likely keep it because I like it a lot overall. It is kid's playroom and gaming unit. Plus my only other candidate is a second 6350 and I really prefer to have different toys. I am still considering though as I have one more week to return. The question is what is better in the price range and I am thinking not much.
post #76 of 165 Old 10-29-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I have both in the 55" inch version. Uniformity (especially black) on the 6350 is nearly perfect. And, it is a killer TV. It has passed my picky test and is our everyday TV. I have to give the PQ nod to the Panny though (I can never see uniformity issues when a picture is displayed). Howerever, 2 nights ago I discovered bad black uniformity issues on the 680 when watching the dark intro to the newer Great Gatsby. I was bummed because I was so pleased up to that point. What I discovered was two corner flash lighting and two large clouding areas. Believe it or not, I almost eliminated 100% of it using panel massaging. I came across the thread on this forum. Basically, I took a clean microfiber cloth and "wiped" the panel from side to side and up and down. I definitely wiped hard enough for the panel to change to white where I was wiping (the TV was on) but not hard enough to break it. I will likely keep it because I like it a lot overall. It is kid's playroom and gaming unit. Plus my only other candidate is a second 6350 and I really prefer to have different toys. I am still considering though as I have one more week to return. The question is what is better in the price range and I am thinking not much.
How is the banding on the 6350? I heard that this is a common problem with edge-lit displays.

Last edited by ahmedqman; 10-29-2014 at 06:39 PM.
post #77 of 165 Old 10-29-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
How is the banding on the 6350? I heard that this is a common problem with edge-lit displays.
There is none. Black uniformity is nearly perfect.
post #78 of 165 Old 10-31-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
There is none. Black uniformity is nearly perfect.
How is the gray uniformity? Any dirty screen effect?
post #79 of 165 Old 10-31-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know what TV in this price range (low 700's) is going to hold up to the scrutiny that you guys put TV's through but considering the build quality, specs and features, I don't know what else is better.
post #80 of 165 Old 10-31-2014, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Off angle example

Coming from a 47" LG IPS panel TV, I'm was really concerned with VA panel poor off angle viewing. But after comparing other high end/expensive brands (SONY, Samsung), I found the TC-55AS680U had the best off angle performance for VA panel at the lowest price point (I found an OpenBox @ $647.99). FYI, the box will perfectly fit a 2nd gen Prius.

A couple dark room direct and off angle pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2513.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	343441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2514.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	343449  
post #81 of 165 Old 10-31-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepavsforums View Post
Coming from a 47" LG IPS panel TV, I'm was really concerned with VA panel poor off angle viewing. But after comparing other high end/expensive brands (SONY, Samsung), I found the TC-55AS680U had the best off angle performance for VA panel at the lowest price point (I found an OpenBox @ $647.99). FYI, the box will perfectly fit a 2nd gen Prius.

A couple dark room direct and off angle pics:
How is your panel performing on dark screens? Have you noticed the off angle bright hotspots like my previous posts?
post #82 of 165 Old 11-01-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldonandy View Post
I don't know what TV in this price range (low 700's) is going to hold up to the scrutiny that you guys put TV's through but considering the build quality, specs and features, I don't know what else is better.
Um. Took 2 seconds to think of one. I also have a Samsung 55H6350. If my replacement 680 has the same clouding as my current one (which is not really that bad but I have units that have no problems so it is more annoying to me specifically), I am going to spend $90 more on another 6350 which has perfect black uniformity (rtings.com seems to agree). Although the Panny gets a slight nod on PQ, I will always be bugged by black uniformity issues when I see them.

The H6350 can be had at BestBuy for $810 right now.
post #83 of 165 Old 11-01-2014, 11:59 AM

So far I'm very happy with this TV. Played some sunset overdrive all night last night and some ps4 games today. Looks great with no noticeable lag. Picking up COD Monday so that will be a good test of lag but so far even titanfall passes the lag test for me.
post #84 of 165 Old 11-01-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
How is your panel performing on dark screens? Have you noticed the off angle bright hotspots like my previous posts?
I have not noticed any off angle hotspots, I tried to reproduce your pic but my camera would not capture the all black screen. It appears the backlight always dims even with C.A.T.S and active backlight control off. I would say off angle all black uniformity is almost perfect (backlight dims significantly), however I did notice that the four corners (~half inch) are slightly darker. My TV was made 7/2014 in Mexico.
post #85 of 165 Old 11-01-2014, 09:07 PM

55AS680 is packed up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepavsforums View Post
I have not noticed any off angle hotspots, I tried to reproduce your pic but my camera would not capture the all black screen. It appears the backlight always dims even with C.A.T.S and active backlight control off. I would say off angle all black uniformity is almost perfect (backlight dims significantly), however I did notice that the four corners (~half inch) are slightly darker. My TV was made 7/2014 in Mexico.

and going back to BestBuy in the morning for either a reorder of the same model or an exchange for a Samsung 55H6350. The final straw was that I discovered dark screen banding this evening in addition to the subtle clouding and flashlighting. This whole situation would have never occurred if I didn't already own a Samsung 55H6350 that has near perfect black uniformity (http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/h6350 Being a Panasonic fanboy and loving the features and PQ of this set, I happen to be pretty sad about all this.

Other than the black uniformity issues which I am hoping are a defect that will be resolved with a fresh unit, this is the best LED picture I have ever seen. I've openly said that I believe the 680 is as good as my ST series Panasonic plasma.
post #86 of 165 Old 11-02-2014, 12:11 AM

DO we have any good settings yet? I can't seem to find any for this set..
post #87 of 165 Old 11-02-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshine View Post
DO we have any good settings yet? I can't seem to find any for this set..
[from memory] while I had it, I found the best PQ to be Custom/User

Backlight: 80
Contrast: 100
Brightness: negative 20
Color: 50
Color temp: cool/warm
motion: off
CATS: off
adaptive backlight: off
Black level: Dark (in an advanced menu - very very important)

If there is too much dark, adjust the brightness up a bit but not the backlight. I achieved near plasma like PQ using roughly these settings.
post #88 of 165 Old 11-02-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldonandy View Post
And today the Samsung 55H6350 is 749.99 at BestBuy.
post #89 of 165 Old 11-02-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The panny does get the nod in PQ I agree and is cheaper then the samsung you mentioned. I have always had better luck with panasonic products vs. samsung in the long run.
post #90 of 165 Old 11-02-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And today the Samsung 55H6350 is 749.99 at BestBuy.
Still don't like samsung.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page