AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   55" Panasonic 240Hz TC-55AS680U. Help Please. (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1726810-55-panasonic-240hz-tc-55as680u-help-please.html)

soldonandy 11-02-2014 10:23 AM

Here are highlights from the CNET review of the Samsung:

"The Bad Lighter black levels and uneven picture uniformity lead to a mediocre home theater image; bad sound quality; Smart TV design can be overwhelming.
The Bottom Line Despite picture quality that's just average, the Samsung UNH6350's high-end features and design for a midrange price will win plenty of converts."

Chingu808 11-02-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 28727242)
And today the Samsung 55H6350 is 749.99 at BestBuy.

That was Amazon's price but it has gone back up to what BB's price is $899.99. Although some people were able to price match Amazon's price when it was $749.99. The folks you purchased the Sammy TV are also saying they got a $100 GC. To bad our BB does not open for another 1-2 hours.

mklimesh 11-02-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldonandy (Post 28731257)
Here are highlights from the CNET review of the Samsung:

"The Bad Lighter black levels and uneven picture uniformity lead to a mediocre home theater image; bad sound quality; Smart TV design can be overwhelming.
The Bottom Line Despite picture quality that's just average, the Samsung UNH6350's high-end features and design for a midrange price will win plenty of converts."

I don't disagree with the sound quality but I can tell you my copy of the Panny had terrible black uniformity. RTINGS.COM says the black uniformity on the Samsung 6350 they tested was nearly perfect as is the one I own in my family room. Heck, if the Samsung's black uniformity was not so good, I may not have not noticed how bad the Panny was. I am not sure that I have been able to pick up on uniformity problems when a actual picture is displayed. So, I am not sure what that looks like.

So 2 hours ago, I am standing at BestBuy with my packed up 55AS680 deciding if I should reorder the Panny (from the warehouse) or get a second Samsung 6350 pricematched to Amazon for $749. The manager was willing to do either and the Samsung was in stock. The manager (who was clearly a home theater enthusiast and an owner of a ZT60 Panasonic plasma herself) told me that her training led her to believe that the Panny 680 was always intended to go down to 799.99 and that she didn't believe a reorder would help (implying that the Panny was feature packed but skimping on total quality a bit).

In the end, I reordered the Panny because of how amazing the picture was (aside from the black uniformity) and features were hoping that my unit was simply defective. And, in the process, lost a chance to get the Samsung 6350 for $749 at BestBuy. :confused::confused:. If you could have seen the 680 side by side with my ST series plasma and holding it's own playing Avatar, you would have done the same thing!!!!

Praying for a good panel!!!

soldonandy 11-02-2014 01:35 PM

Hope you get a good one too! I don't like the stand for the samsung either, I think for 700 or so every tv has their strengths and weekness's, the panny definately has some flaws but when it's good it's good.

mklimesh 11-02-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldonandy (Post 28735665)
Hope you get a good one too! I don't like the stand for the samsung either, I think for 700 or so every tv has their strengths and weekness's, the panny definately has some flaws but when it's good it's good.

Thanks for pulling for me and, agreed, yes the Panny is good when its good!

mklimesh 11-02-2014 02:35 PM

Did you get the gift card as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chingu808 (Post 28731833)
That was Amazon's price but it has gone back up to what BB's price is $899.99. Although some people were able to price match Amazon's price when it was $749.99. The folks you purchased the Sammy TV are also saying they got a $100 GC. To bad our BB does not open for another 1-2 hours.

I saw over on SlickDeals that you got the $100 gift card as well with the pricematch???

When I went to return my 55AS680, I tried to get the Amazon pricematch and giftcard as well on the 55H6350. The manager said it would take an override (price match zeros out the gift card apparently) and she said she would not do it. Since the $749 was only $50 less than I paid for my 55H6350 back in June/July (Target in store price error ($999.99 - was supposed to go back to $1099 the day the Cartwheel offer started -->) + Cartwheel offer (15% off) + Target Redcard (5% off), I decided to give the 55AS680 a second chance so I reordered it hoping for a panel with better black uniformity.

srinfla 11-03-2014 11:50 AM

Jutter and Banding

Has anyone else experience the Jutter where only some shows will see a slight skip ahead every few seconds? Is there a setting that eliminates or reduces this? Also, what setting or setting reduce the banding? I do love the picture on this set and can live with some reduce banding, but the jutter really bugs me when it's noticeable. There has to be a a setting that stops this, even if it reduces PQ.

Thanks

mklimesh 11-03-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srinfla (Post 28758626)
Has anyone else experience the Jutter where only some shows will see a slight skip ahead every few seconds? Is there a setting that eliminates or reduces this? Also, what setting or setting reduce the banding? I do love the picture on this set and can live with some reduce banding, but the jutter really bugs me when it's noticeable. There has to be a a setting that stops this, even if it reduces PQ.

Thanks

I didn't experience Judder. I have heard this mentioned about this TV. Was this on cable? My unit was never connected to a cable box only Bluray and USB .mkv files. Here some settings I posted:

Backlight: 80
Contrast: 100
Brightness: negative 20
Color: 50
Color temp: cool/warm
motion: off
CATS: off
adaptive backlight: off
Black level: Dark (in an advanced menu - very very important)

mklimesh 11-03-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srinfla (Post 28758626)

Thanks

Also, my banding was only slight and could only be seen off angle. It was the final straw after the clouding and flash lighting. Loved this unit. Waiting on the reorder and praying for a panel with good black uniformity.

srinfla 11-03-2014 01:14 PM

This is occurring only on cable and only on certain stations or programs.

hawkijustin 11-04-2014 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srinfla (Post 28761314)
This is occurring only on cable and only on certain stations or programs.

Turn off motion smoothing in the picture settings. Every tv I have ever had that was the first thing to turn off because it adds weird judder.

mklimesh 11-05-2014 10:44 AM

Not to scare anyone...

I have a replacement 55AS680 sitting in my basement ready to be tested for screen issues. I spent some time in BestBuy on Sunday returning my old unit and reordering the new unit. I even made a game time descision to not walk out of BestBuy with the Samsung 55H6350 Amazon pricematch for $750 (I would have if my store's manager would have allowed the $100 GC that some were reporting getting along with the pricematch).

Long story short (she was a manager and very knowledgable about TVs)

She said (paraphrasing) that the unit was a feature packed BestBuy exclusive that was slight on overall quality (hence my black uniformity issues??) and that it was always intended to come down to $799. Seeing how the price has remained the same, I am wondering how slick this deal really was.

I will post the results of my second unit.

srinfla 11-06-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 28811738)
I have a replacement 55AS680 sitting in my basement ready to be tested for screen issues. I spent some time in BestBuy on Sunday returning my old unit and reordering the new unit. I even made a game time descision to not walk out of BestBuy with the Samsung 55H6350 Amazon pricematch for $750 (I would have if my store's manager would have allowed the $100 GC that some were reporting getting along with the pricematch).

Long story short (she was a manager and very knowledgable about TVs)

She said (paraphrasing) that the unit was a feature packed BestBuy exclusive that was slight on overall quality (hence my black uniformity issues??) and that it was always intended to come down to $799. Seeing how the price has remained the same, I am wondering how slick this deal really was.

I will post the results of my second unit.

I am looking forward to seeing your results. Since I turned off the Motion settings The judder seem to have gone away and the picture still looks great. Still watching closely (probably too closely).

mklimesh 11-06-2014 11:51 AM

It will likely be Friday or Saturday evening. If I can get acceptable black uniformity, keeping it will be a no brainer. The PQ on this TV lives up to Panasonic's plasma like claims from the beginning of the year.

I really hope the manager was wrong about the quality of this TV. I always assumed that this TV was exactly like Panasonics higher end 650 series with the difference being the 680 was 240Hz and not 3D.

If she is right, it likely means the 650 series is not that great and also means that Panasonic didn't put out any stellar TVs this year (I have heard the 4Ks were so-so.)

squadRAWR 11-06-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 28840042)
It will likely be Friday or Saturday evening. If I can get acceptable black uniformity, keeping it will be a no brainer. The PQ on this TV lives up to Panasonic's plasma like claims from the beginning of the year.

I really hope the manager was wrong about the quality of this TV. I always assumed that this TV was exactly like Panasonics higher end 650 series with the difference being the 680 was 240Hz and not 3D.

If she is right, it likely means the 650 series is not that great and also means that Panasonic didn't put out any stellar TVs this year (I have heard the 4Ks were so-so.)

Hey, good luck on your second unit. Please update us with the good news :)

mklimesh 11-06-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squadRAWR (Post 28840114)
Hey, good luck on your second unit. Please update us with the good news :)

Squad - did you end up with a 55H6350?

squadRAWR 11-06-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 28840186)
Squad - did you end up with a 55H6350?

Yeah I bought it a few days ago but I had problems of "dirty whites" and the bleeding on the sides were crazy... I had to return it. I was going to get a second one because I know TV's are extremely luck of the draw to get a good one but then I saw the Sony KDL60W630B right next to it at my Best Buy and I lost all my marbles. That 5 inches is like night and day and the Sony produce better picture than the Samsung. I also heard that it had better input lag for gaming which I will be doing. Going to pick it up once money goes back to my debit card.

mklimesh 11-06-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squadRAWR (Post 28840450)
Yeah I bought it a few days ago but I had problems of "dirty whites" and the bleeding on the sides were crazy... I had to return it. I was going to get a second one because I know TV's are extremely luck of the draw to get a good one but then I saw the Sony KDL60W630B right next to it at my Best Buy and I lost all my marbles. That 5 inches is like night and day and the Sony produce better picture than the Samsung. I also heard that it had better input lag for gaming which I will be doing. Going to pick it up once money goes back to my debit card.

So are you going to pay 999? - Seems like a nice TV but 60" is just too big for where I am putting this.

The 680 was $720 with the mover's coupon. I wish I would have known that your budget was so high...I would have been on the lookout for deals for you.

squadRAWR 11-06-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 28841882)
So are you going to pay 999? - Seems like a nice TV but 60" is just too big for where I am putting this.

The 680 was $720 with the mover's coupon. I wish I would have known that your budget was so high...I would have been on the lookout for deals for you.

Yeah it's 999 but witth the movers coupon it's 950 which isn't too bad. I think it's a great price for a 60 inch :D I didn't want to spend too much but not many TV's out there that are good for 55 or 60 inch. And so far I see nothing good for pre black friday sales.

mklimesh 11-06-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squadRAWR (Post 28843034)
Yeah it's 999 but witth the movers coupon it's 950 which isn't too bad. I think it's a great price for a 60 inch :D I didn't want to spend too much but not many TV's out there that are good for 55 or 60 inch. And so far I see nothing good for pre black friday sales.

I hope the mover's coupon works for you. It specifically excludes Sony. If it does, the price would be %900 + tax!!!

squadRAWR 11-06-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 28843218)
I hope the mover's coupon works for you. It specifically excludes Sony. If it does, the price would be %900 + tax!!!

Haha it works, just tried it to test it online. I should be getting the cash today hopefully.

montanaman 11-06-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

...it likely means the 650 series is not that great and also means that Panasonic didn't put out any stellar TVs this year (I have heard the 4Ks were so-so.)

The AS680 should have a very nice picture with the deeper blacks compared to the AS640/650 (I have the AS640).

I have the AS640 looking very plasma-like. Deeper blacks and the set would pretty much be a nice plasma. Not that bad of a set. I had been watching a Panasonic 50GT25 plasma, and I think I can live with this set until the OLED becomes more affordable.

montanaman 11-07-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

If I can get acceptable black uniformity, keeping it will be a no brainer. The PQ on this TV lives up to Panasonic's plasma like claims from the beginning of the year.

Just to mention, I would give the set some time to develop its black uniformity. A brand new set needs time to warm up and get broken in, and get everything working well.

I believe the AS680 has a VA panel, while the AS640/650 has an IPS panel.

mklimesh 11-07-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montanaman (Post 28874169)
Just to mention, I would give the set some time to develop its black uniformity. A brand new set needs time to warm up and get broken in and get everything working well.

I believe the AS680 has a VA panel, while the AS640/650 has an IPS panel.

Source on VA vs IPS? I have not read that anywhere.

montanaman 11-07-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 28875153)
Source on VA vs IPS? I have not read that anywhere.

Click this link and scroll to the Pricing & Specifications boxes:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...splay-nyc.html

The AS530/640/650 state an IPS LED panel and Wide Viewing Angle. The AS680 states neither, so it is probably a VA panel, but I do not know for sure.

I was reading on another link about the UK AS640, which is different from the USA version, and the mention of a VA panel with very good black levels.

The AS680 should be an excellent panel. The limitation is the 55" size. I don't think I am interested in giving up the real estate of the 60" AS640, though better black levels are so valuable to picture quality.

ahmedqman 11-08-2014 07:37 AM

The AS680 is flat out better in terms of picture quality than the 6530. I am getting the AS680 back from BB.

montanaman 11-08-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmedqman (Post 28883034)
The AS680 is flat out better in terms of picture quality than the 6530. I am getting the AS680 back from BB.

Probably a good call. I really think the Panasonic AS680 is a huge sleeper model, one of the reasons being it was a BB exclusive (though one may be able to purchase it directly from Panasonic).

I wonder why BB does not seem to be promoting this model? Maybe with the great price they do not make much money on them...that would be the cynical view sorry.

These Panasonics are just not "out there" retail wise. Check post #20 of the before mentioned link: "the main market of Panasonic is in Europe and Asia."

The CNET review of the AS530 stated that in some picture aspects it was better than the similar offerings from Sony & Samsung. Page 2 of the review:

http://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-tc-39as530u/2/

tomnan24 11-08-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montanaman (Post 28877649)
Click this link and scroll to the Pricing & Specifications boxes:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...splay-nyc.html

The AS530/640/650 state an IPS LED panel and Wide Viewing Angle. The AS680 states neither, so it is probably a VA panel, but I do not know for sure.

I was reading on another link about the UK AS640, which is different from the USA version, and the mention of a VA panel with very good black levels.

The AS680 should be an excellent panel. The limitation is the 55" size. I don't think I am interested in giving up the real estate of the 60" AS640, though better black levels are so valuable to picture quality.

Best Buy shows viewing angle on the 640/650 as 178*. The 680 is listed as 176*. Even though neither of these numbers are accurate the 178 usually means IPS and the 176 usually means VA. I'll bet you a bucket of rusty nails I am correct.

montanaman 11-08-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomnan24 (Post 28892450)
Best Buy shows viewing angle on the 640/650 as 178*. The 680 is listed as 176*. Even though neither of these numbers are accurate the 178 usually means IPS and the 176 usually means VA. I'll bet you a bucket of rusty nails I am correct.

Nice find...Although I was not able to compare the two models (local BB had neither on display), by specs alone and knowing what an AS640 can do, the AS680 should produce a very nice picture. Hopefully more owners can reply.

tomnan24 11-09-2014 12:06 AM

I posted this before(may have been on this thread). I saw the 680 on display at Best Buy, it was an estimated 9" above the floor and showed very good off axis viewing(both vertical and horizontal) and looked very good with BB feed.

Funny thing though, poster on BB site said the same thing upon seeing it at the store but off axis upon bringing it home.was not very good