AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   55" Panasonic 240Hz TC-55AS680U. Help Please. (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1726810-55-panasonic-240hz-tc-55as680u-help-please.html)

soldonandy 12-16-2014 04:47 PM

I agree with you about the Panasonic, very classy, good features, good build quality, the picture is reasonable enough all things considered.....I won't touch Samsung or Vizio, I don't care what consumer reports/reviews say, those brands are junk.

soldonandy 12-22-2014 03:11 PM

I had just the opposite experience, I had the Sony 700B first and couldn't get it to look right plus the stand didn't hold the TV upright. Funny thing is that I have the smaller 40" Sony in the bedroom and it's great.

Mark Temple 01-20-2015 07:47 PM

thanks for the settings so far, I have played with a few sources, Apple TV, AT&T HD.
Maybe a little dark for some but I wanted black on Apple menus .. Light didn't look good

AppleTV

Picture mode Standard
Backlight 50
Contrast 35
Brightness +16
Color 40
Tint 0
Sharpness 80
Color temp normal
Vivid color off
Adaptive blacklight control On
Cats off
1080p pure direct On (1080p forced on Apple tv settings)
Black level dark

AT&T

icture mode Standard
Backlight 50
Contrast 35
Brightness +16
Color 40
Tint 0
Sharpness 80
Cold Temp Normal
Vivid color off
Adaptive blacklight control On
Cats off
Video NR Mid
MPEG Remaster Auto
Motion Picture Setting Off
Black level dark

Look forward to more trials..

Got the TV at BB $799.. Not too many around here at moment in stock

alchemic 02-03-2015 10:25 AM

So i just snagged this tv on Saturday from best buy for $799. It just looked so amazing compared to all the others I had seen. I think it had to do with the 240 refresh rate. I was on the market for a gaming tv as I was currently hogging the living room space with an ST30. I can tell you that this Tv is not on par with the plasma, but I was very shocked with how well it actually is performing on the blacks.

I calibrated it last night with a Disney Wow disk and it made quite the difference from out of the box settings.
current settings:
Custom
black light 70
contract 87
brightness 25
color 55
Tint -1
sharpness 61
Color temp Normal
Vivid off
Adaptive backlight control on
Cats off
Also the black level is set to dark(real bummer that on Media server mode I can't set that. Just dropped the contract down to 70)

Overall I am quite pleased with the tv, no noticeable blur and the colors are pretty dang good for a LED LCD. Especially at that price.

ADU 02-14-2015 10:15 PM

Was checking this model out at BB today, and appreciate all the info here. Not sure how I missed this before, but maybe it was out of my price/size range or somethin.

I've recently tried both a lower-end Sony 40R380B and Samsung 46EH5000 (both deeply discounted), and didn't really like the semi-glossy screens and 60Hz refresh rate on either. The Sony also had some fairly glaring AOV issues, and no calibration features to speak of. But the Sammy 46EH5000 S-PVA panel had very decent PQ, horizontal angle of view, and blacks for a lower-cost 60Hz VA panel. I was hopin to upgrade to a slightly larger 120Hz glossy panel, but the Sammy 7150 is pretty expensive.

I was "a fan" of Panasonic's plasma TVs, but a bit leery about investing in one of their LEDs (esp. a "BB Exclusive" which, as others have pointed out, usually means heavy on bells & whistles, and light on quality), given their less than stellar record in this area. But based on a cursory look, this seems to have a number of features I've been lookin for in a flat panel display, including the glossy screen, higher refresh rate, calibration controls, decent contrast ratio, and larger size.

Uniformity isn't the best on the floor models I've seen. There's some cloudiness in the whites, and noticeable shadows in the corners. It's not as bad as some other TVs I've seen though. My other concerns are the bit depth of the panel (esp. given some complaints re banding), the black depth (do blacks really look "black" at lower backlight settings in a dimly lit room?), black uniformity (esp. if the blacks don't go too deep), and AOV.

I've been browsin the panels at BB and other stores awhile, and superficially, this appears to be one of the few affordable alternatives to the glossy Samsung 7150 series. The Samsung may have better uniformity, but the AOV actually looks a bit better to me on this Panny (though there is still a very noticeable drop in contrast at an angle). It's hard to assess all the above issues in a bright showroom though. And I'm reluctant to buy and potentially have to return another TV at this point. So hopefully I can find a store with an open-box unit that can be set up in a darker room where some better assessment can be made.

If anyone knows of any other downsides to this display though, feel free to lay them on me, cuz I wanna know all the facts on this puppy before layin down my hard-earned bread. :)

Is there a "non-smart" version of this model that uses the same glossy panel btw, maybe available from a different vendor?

mklimesh 02-18-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADU (Post 31790473)
Was checking this model out at BB today, and appreciate all the info here. Not sure how I missed this before, but maybe it was out of my price/size range or somethin.

I've recently tried both a lower-end Sony 40R380B and Samsung 46EH5000 (both deeply discounted), and didn't really like the semi-glossy screens and 60Hz refresh rate on either. The Sony also had some fairly glaring AOV issues, and no calibration features to speak of. But the Sammy 46EH5000 S-PVA panel had very decent PQ, horizontal angle of view, and blacks for a lower-cost 60Hz VA panel. I was hopin to upgrade to a slightly larger 120Hz glossy panel, but the Sammy 7150 is pretty expensive.

I was "a fan" of Panasonic's plasma TVs, but a bit leery about investing in one of their LEDs (esp. a "BB Exclusive" which, as others have pointed out, usually means heavy on bells & whistles, and light on quality), given their less than stellar record in this area. But based on a cursory look, this seems to have a number of features I've been lookin for in a flat panel display, including the glossy screen, higher refresh rate, calibration controls, decent contrast ratio, and larger size.

Uniformity isn't the best on the floor models I've seen. There's some cloudiness in the whites, and noticeable shadows in the corners. It's not as bad as some other TVs I've seen though. My other concerns are the bit depth of the panel (esp. given some complaints re banding), the black depth (do blacks really look "black" at lower backlight settings in a dimly lit room?), black uniformity (esp. if the blacks don't go too deep), and AOV.

I've been browsin the panels at BB and other stores awhile, and superficially, this appears to be one of the few affordable alternatives to the glossy Samsung 7150 series. The Samsung may have better uniformity, but the AOV actually looks a bit better to me on this Panny (though there is still a very noticeable drop in contrast at an angle). It's hard to assess all the above issues in a bright showroom though. And I'm reluctant to buy and potentially have to return another TV at this point. So hopefully I can find a store with an open-box unit that can be set up in a darker room where some better assessment can be made.

If anyone knows of any other downsides to this display though, feel free to lay them on me, cuz I wanna know all the facts on this puppy before layin down my hard-earned bread. :)

Is there a "non-smart" version of this model that uses the same glossy panel btw, maybe available from a different vendor?

I am pretty familiar with the 2014 line of TVs as I have bought one that I have kept and tried many for my downstairs playroom TV. With that said, I have had two of this model and both were returned because they were not "perfect" (I really disliked the light bleed on the first one and the dark corners on the second one). In the meantime, I have bought and returned a 55H6350 (which I actually own one I kept for my everyday TV in my family room), a 55H7150 and 48" Sony Bravia.

To make a long story short, I am holding out for the 55AS680 or the 55AS530 to drop a bit. The 55AS530 has been 599.99 before at BestBuy. The 55AS680 has never been below 799.99. Additionally, you can use the mover's coupon on these sets. I got the 680 for 720 plus tax. If the 680 goes to 749 or 699, I am going to grab one and never look back.

I have been fooling around trying to pick a TV since Halloween. The main reason I am coming all the back to the Panasonic is because it was all around the best TV and I have a requirement for 400x200 VESA.

You said that you don't like matte screens but I really love the 55H6350 I kept in my family (on a stand and not mounted). The uniformity is perfect on that thing (as was the one I returned).

Here is a good resource: http://www.rtings.com/

Keep in mind that the next 6 weeks will be the most heavily discounted you will see 2014 TVs so you need to act decisively.

ADU 02-18-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 31898905)
In the meantime, I have bought and returned a 55H6350 (which I actually own one I kept for my everyday TV in my family room), a 55H7150 and 48" Sony Bravia.

Thanks for the reply, mklimesh. It sounds like you could be even more picky than I am. :)

I'm familiar with rtings, and have looked at the other models you mention above as well, and for one reason or another, none of them seemed an ideal fit for me. So it sounds like our thinking is along somewhat similar lines, and I appreciate hearing some of your insights.

I like the overall picture quality (esp. the superior AOV, and more neutral blacks) better on the plasma TVs that I've seen lately. But I like to watch a lot of widescreen content in the 2.40 ratio range (with black bars on top & bottom), and I'm afraid that will cause burn-in on a plasma TV. So that's one of the main reasons I've started looking at LCDs instead. Most of the better plasma TVs won't be around much longer anyway, so LCD will pretty much be the only game in town, until OLED (or another better technology) becomes more stable, and comes down in price.

My main dilemma now is whether to get something like the Panny 55AS680U, or to wait a bit and get a new 2015 4K model. $800 (minus movers coupon) is more than I want to spend on a 1080p model right now, because I think there'll be 4K TVs close to (or maybe even below) that price range by year's end. So I'm not sure whether to "hold em" or "fold em" at this point. :) I got rid of my 12 yo 34" CRT in the fall though, and have been shopping for a new TV for well over a year (since Panasonic decided to discontinue its plasma line), and definitely startin to feel some buyer's fatigue at this point.

I wish rtings covered more TVs btw, including some of the BB exclusives, like this one. That site has been an invaluable resource in helping to narrow down some of my options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 31898905)
With that said, I have had two of this model and both were returned because they were not "perfect" (I really disliked the light bleed on the first one and the dark corners on the second one).

I need to play around with the settings on this model some more, but one thing I've noticed with other LCDs I've tried recently is that keeping a few lights on in the room, and keeping the Backlight on the lower side (with maybe a little dynamic contrast to compensate on the upper end), can help to conceal a multitude of uniformity sins in the blacks.

The shadows in the corners on bright screens will probably be harder conceal. But most of my "serious" viewing on the TV will be letterboxed widescreen films, and also some old pillarboxed 1.37 Academy ratio classics (like Casablanca) on Blu-ray. And the corners of the screen will be hidden by black bars on most of that content.

If you turn off the overscan on the TV (which is usually best with an HD feed), then 1.85 ratio movies will also have thin black bars on the top and bottom, which may help to hide some of the corner shadowing as well.

One thing I liked about the Sammy EH5000 was its direct-lit (rather than edge-lit) backlight. There was a bit of streakiness and a slight shadow around the entire edge of the screen (which was fairly obvious on the left and right edges of letterboxed movies), but aside from that it had pretty good white (and black) uniformity for a budget TV, due to the direct backlighting. Thin is "in" though, so I doubt too many mfrs will be going that route in the future, except perhaps on some of the more expensive FALD displays, that I can't afford.

dirtfishingman 03-02-2015 06:43 AM

Hey guys just wanted to jump on this thread to follow. Im new here. Big AV Guy and Im a AV Custom installer. I just wanted to say Hi. Also just picked up this TV at best buy for $399 crazy deal. I love the pic so far.

I RATHER BE DIRTY

dirtfishingman 03-02-2015 06:40 PM

does any use a camera on this tv? which on u guys use

I RATHER BE DIRTY

dirtfishingman 05-22-2015 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtfishingman (Post 32269729)
does any use a camera on this tv? which on u guys use

I RATHER BE DIRTY

Bump

ADU 05-22-2015 10:33 PM

Still looking this one over, so can't help with the camera question. It sounds like you got a great deal though (since these are still listing for around $800 new, even though the product appears to be discontinued).

ADU 05-23-2015 07:38 PM

There's one aspect of these displays that I don't particularly like so far, and it's the rainbows around the screen reflections. I assume those are caused by some type of glare-reducing filter on the panel. I've looked for similar effects on other glossy LED TVs, but haven't found it.

If you have decent light control in the room though, and no bright sources of light reflecting off the screen, then it's probably not an issue.

dirtfishingman 05-24-2015 12:53 PM

I have this TV got it from best buy when they were on clearance. Best 399.99 I spent for a TV I love it.

dirtfishingman 05-24-2015 12:54 PM

I got the 55as680u

tjlavallee 12-31-2016 02:37 PM

No Qam Tuner

I really love the TV but recently learned it does NOT have a Qam tuner.

If I had known I would not have purchased.

FYI