AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   55" Panasonic 240Hz TC-55AS680U. Help Please. (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1726810-55-panasonic-240hz-tc-55as680u-help-please.html)

squadRAWR 10-18-2014 04:16 PM

55" Panasonic 240Hz TC-55AS680U. Sale ends today. Help Please.

Hello!!! I'm new to the forums and just found out about it since I'm trying to find research on this TV unit I would like to purchase. On Slickdeals, someone posted up a good deal will I believe to be a good deal on an 55" Panasonic 240Hz TC-55AS680U. The link is here

It use to cost around 1,300 but on sale for today around 800 bucks and I have a movers coupon to make it around 720 w/o tax. I was trying to find information on it but hoping if I could get some help on either I should buy it or wait for black friday. Today the last day and hopefully I could get help before the sales end if it's worth picking up.

Thank you!!!!

squadRAWR 10-18-2014 06:28 PM

Sorry to bump this thread extremely early. I don't know if that is a rule here to not to do this but I actually need help. Sorry mods and admins for this. Not trying to be a pain in the butt but the sale actually ends in 2 and a half hours and want to buy it before it ends. I just found about it and want to grab it if its hot or just wait till black friday.

PlasmaMan 10-18-2014 06:33 PM

Best deal around as far as I'm concerned. You've seen it in the store, you've seen the reviews on Best Buy. 240hz panel with great, natural colors. Get it.

squadRAWR 10-18-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlasmaMan (Post 28341698)
Best deal around as far as I'm concerned. You've seen it in the store, you've seen the reviews on Best Buy. 240hz panel with great, natural colors. Get it.

Some website said the 240 hertz on this tv isn't the best but I don't know how to reply to that. I never seen it in the store yet because of personal reasons but it has free home delivery. I know you're not a future teller but you think they might have better deals on black friday. Should I wait or jump on this, would suck to loose this deal.

PlasmaMan 10-18-2014 06:45 PM

It is normally priced $1199 and had gone on sale for $999 a couple times, I was surprised to see it at $799 last Sunday when it first went on sale. I don't think you're going to do better than your 10% off $799 on black friday. What website did you see a mention of the 240hz not being good? I've never actually seen any reviews outside of Best Buy's website. It looks great in person.

squadRAWR 10-18-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlasmaMan (Post 28341994)
It is normally priced $1199 and had gone on sale for $999 a couple times, I was surprised to see it at $799 last Sunday when it first went on sale. I don't think you're going to do better than your 10% off $799 on black friday. What website did you see a mention of the 240hz not being good? I've never actually seen any reviews outside of Best Buy's website. It looks great in person.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...-led-tv-review and trying to find the other one.

BTW how would you compare this to an VIZIO M552i-B2

PlasmaMan 10-18-2014 06:57 PM

Further down the page he talks about the motion performance of the set:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...splay-nyc.html

I like the Panasonic better than the Vizio. Especially for $799.

squadRAWR 10-18-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlasmaMan (Post 28342258)
Further down the page he talks about the motion performance of the set:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...splay-nyc.html

I like the Panasonic better than the Vizio. Especially for $799.

Yeah I think I have to go with this. I don't THINK black friday going to have a better deal then this hopefully for me LOL. It's just the price I think is extremely cheap and looks like a solid TV. I'll be watching movies, son will be watching anime and I will be gaming on it. I hope the input lag of it is good. I wish it had more reviews for this unit.

carolalden 10-18-2014 08:34 PM

Yes, go and get the deals. I think it's worth the money as you get the manufacturer deal that combined with retailer deal.

squadRAWR 10-18-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolalden (Post 28344130)
Yes, go and get the deals. I think it's worth the money as you get the manufacturer deal that combined with retailer deal.

I just order the TV!!! I felt like it was a good deal in my book. By any chance, do you have this unit?

SlimDzL 10-19-2014 09:57 AM

I bought this past Friday and just set it up last night. I was originally going to get the Vizio M552i-B2, but decided to go with this after learning that this one is native 240Hz, where as the Vizio advertises 240Hz, but it is not native. The Best Buy salesman also said the Panasonic has IPS and it Vizio.

I'm sure both TVs look great once you get them home, but I am happy with this purchase so far. Still lots of configuring and personalizing to do, but that is fun for me. It definitely has a lot of features, apps and screens that you can move around, similar to using a tablet.

The picture looks really nice. Will update more later.

SlimDzL 10-19-2014 10:04 AM

Forgot to add....the sale price on this TV was DEFINITELY worth getting. That was what caught my eye to begin with. Normally $1299, down to $799? I checked again and they have the same sale going on this week too.

I could be wrong, but I doubt there will be a deeper discount for a TV of this size & spec during Black Friday. Getting it now to take advantage of that deal was a good decision IMO.

mattdr 10-19-2014 10:19 AM

TC-55AS680U is not IPS at least the one I got at bestbuy (exclusive to BB I think). I got it last week. It has more calibration settings than you can shake a stick at and it a great value for those that just like to watch TV. Input lag is horrendous though. Even in game mode with everything turned off it was probably around 90ms. PS4 BF4 was trigger pull.............boom. If you game skip it. If you just watch TV I thought it looked close to the samsung 7150 with it's glossy screen and vivid colors.

squadRAWR 10-20-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattdr (Post 28354234)
TC-55AS680U is not IPS at least the one I got at bestbuy (exclusive to BB I think). I got it last week. It has more calibration settings than you can shake a stick at and it a great value for those that just like to watch TV. Input lag is horrendous though. Even in game mode with everything turned off it was probably around 90ms. PS4 BF4 was trigger pull.............boom. If you game skip it. If you just watch TV I thought it looked close to the samsung 7150 with it's glossy screen and vivid colors.

Wow thats terrible for me then. I will mostly be playing games on it then movies/shows. I'm about to cancel then because of that. So weird that it has that much lag for a 240 hertz... really sucks.

tomnan24 10-20-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Reviewed.com said it had great blacks and bad viewing angle so it should be VA. I saw it at Best Buy on the top shelf and viewing angles looked better than most.

How is the viewing angle at home as well as the blacks in a dim/dark room. If I can get positive answers to these questions I will pull the trigger also.

mattdr 10-20-2014 12:48 PM

The viewing angle wasn't that bad for a VA at all. I returned mine because of the terrible input lag. Otherwise it's a good TV for 719.99 with the BB mover coupon. I'm going with the Vizio P now.

tomnan24 10-20-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattdr (Post 28385081)
The viewing angle wasn't that bad for a VA at all. I returned mine because of the terrible input lag. Otherwise it's a good TV for 719.99 with the BB mover coupon. I'm going with the Vizio P now.

Good luck with it. That's what I had planned on buying but decided to put off 4K for a couple years. Thanks for the input.

Oh, did you watch it in a dim/dark room? What was your impression?

Mario66 10-21-2014 05:46 AM

Awesome TV so far, I dont game on it so input lag is not important to me.

Need some of the AVS Forum pro's to spit out some calibration settings :P

For the money/Picture/Features not sure you can beat the price off $799 then add in a movers coupon, and discover cashback and yeah sweeeeeet

tomnan24 10-21-2014 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario66 (Post 28402914)
Awesome TV so far, I dont game on it so input lag is not important to me.

Need some of the AVS Forum pro's to spit out some calibration settings :P

For the money/Picture/Features not sure you can beat the price off $799 then add in a movers coupon, and discover cashback and yeah sweeeeeet

Mario66, I'm looking for dim/dark room experiences in regard to screen glow and black level impressions.

Mario66 10-21-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomnan24 (Post 28403418)
Mario66, I'm looking for dim/dark room experiences in regard to screen glow and black level impressions.

I actually think black levels are decent. I am coming from an old Panasonic plasma 720p TH42PX80U.

As far as screen glow you mean sort of like a light bleed effect / uneven color reproduction.

soldonandy 10-21-2014 06:46 AM

The mover's coupon doesn't work with an item already on sale.

mizzer 10-21-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldonandy (Post 28404114)
The mover's coupon doesn't work with an item already on sale.

It worked with this tv.

I had the TV set up since Sunday. Two things are prompting me to return it. 1) There is a stuck pixel and dark corners. I think a new television screen should be production-perfect out of the box. 2) The motion issue is really noticeable. I turned on the motion-correction feature at its lowest setting to counter this issue. It did help but the soap-opera effect sneaks through during some scenes.

It's going back. I intend to pick up the Sony 700B when it drops to $799 again.

Mario66 10-21-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mizzer (Post 28404618)
It worked with this tv.

I had the TV set up since Sunday. Two things are prompting me to return it. 1) There is a stuck pixel and dark corners. I think a new television screen should be production-perfect out of the box. 2) The motion issue is really noticeable. I turned on the motion-correction feature at its lowest setting to counter this issue. It did help but the soap-opera effect sneaks through during some scenes.

It's going back. I intend to pick up the Sony 700B when it drops to $799 again.

I agree its does have slightly darker corners(about an inch out from each corner) unless I'm specifically looking for it or focusing my eyes on the corners it doesn't bother me. It's also a typical trait/flaw I believe of lcd/led

Mario66 10-21-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

I would expect input lag to be inline with the other panasonic led in the same class. In game mode would be 50-55ms. Still not great.

skyline315 10-21-2014 11:18 AM

I jumped on the deal as well. So far I'm pleased. The colors are very nice, and the blacks really are nice and deep (coming from a Panasonic Plasma).

Soap Opera effect is there...turned off the "Movie Motion Picture" setting or whatever it was which helped, but hasn't eliminated the problem entirely.

Side angle viewing isn't bad at all.

The screen is quite glossy and glare can be a problem.

Haven't gamed on it yet, so time shall tell when it comes to that. I'm not much of a FPS guy, though.

Would love to get some real experts playing around with this set so find its optimal settings...

cmeinck 10-21-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline315 (Post 28412426)
I jumped on the deal as well. So far I'm pleased. The colors are very nice, and the blacks really are nice and deep (coming from a Panasonic Plasma).

Soap Opera effect is there...turned off the "Movie Motion Picture" setting or whatever it was which helped, but hasn't eliminated the problem entirely.

Side angle viewing isn't bad at all.

The screen is quite glossy and glare can be a problem.

Haven't gamed on it yet, so time shall tell when it comes to that. I'm not much of a FPS guy, though.

Would love to get some real experts playing around with this set so find its optimal settings...

If you go into picture settings, there is an option to disable auto-convert to 24FPS. I don't have this set, but I've read others have had success making this change.

Looks like a nice set. Seriously considering it to replace an aging 52" Sony XBR-3.

squadRAWR 10-21-2014 12:25 PM

It would be nice with someone with the game systems like ps3, ps4 would reply to this thread and see if that statement about games being bad on this tv is true or not that bad. Just seems like regular people bought this unit and non gamers did.

skyline315 10-21-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmeinck (Post 28414474)
If you go into picture settings, there is an option to disable auto-convert to 24FPS. I don't have this set, but I've read others have had success making this change.

Looks like a nice set. Seriously considering it to replace an aging 52" Sony XBR-3.

Yes...I think i's called "Motion Picture Setting" or something. The setting is described as helping to reduce blur. I turned it off, and it was helpful, although motion can still be a tad unnatural at times.

I assume this is the correct setting?

I spent about 15 minutes looking for something that directly said "24FPS", but it seems as if every company has it's own name.

skyline315 10-21-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squadRAWR (Post 28414546)
It would be nice with someone with the game systems like ps3, ps4 would reply to this thread and see if that statement about games being bad on this tv is true or not that bad. Just seems like regular people bought this unit and non gamers did.

I have a ps3 and ps4. I'll see if I have some time this weekend to give them a spin.

Like I said, though, I'm not sure how much games like The Last of Us will be impacted relative to something a little more jerky and fast-paced.

cmeinck 10-21-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline315 (Post 28415498)
Yes...I think i's called "Motion Picture Setting" or something. The setting is described as helping to reduce blur. I turned it off, and it was helpful, although motion can still be a tad unnatural at times.

I assume this is the correct setting?

I spent about 15 minutes looking for something that directly said "24FPS", but it seems as if every company has it's own name.

Is there an option called Intelligent Frame Creation (IFC)? Some Panasonic sets have this as the setting. I checked the Owner's Manual, which isn't of much help.

scott5626 10-21-2014 02:33 PM

I play Battlefield 4 and I haven't noticed the input lag being bad at all. I turn off all the settings that normally mess with graphics card performance and leave it calibrated the way I like it so I don't have to tweak settings to switch to movies. Just turn on game mode.

squadRAWR 10-21-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott5626 (Post 28418473)
I play Battlefield 4 and I haven't noticed the input lag being bad at all. I turn off all the settings that normally mess with graphics card performance and leave it calibrated the way I like it so I don't have to tweak settings to switch to movies. Just turn on game mode.

You played it on consoles or computer?

MrBananas 10-21-2014 02:42 PM

Wow I wish I paid that much for mine. Great TV overall by my standards

scott5626 10-21-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squadRAWR (Post 28418593)
You played it on consoles or computer?

console Xbox One

squadRAWR 10-21-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott5626 (Post 28418905)
console Xbox One

Hey Scott I pm aka private message you.

skyline315 10-21-2014 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmeinck (Post 28416377)
Is there an option called Intelligent Frame Creation (IFC)? Some Panasonic sets have this as the setting. I checked the Owner's Manual, which isn't of much help.

Nope. I'm pretty sure "Motion picture setting" is their name for it with this set.

soldonandy 10-21-2014 06:07 PM

can you guys share your settings with this TV? Thanks in advance.

soldonandy 10-22-2014 03:26 PM

just went back with the move coupon and with just a little hassle they adjusted my receipt, this deal is getting better. Still looking for help with these settings though, all these tweaks are making this difficult, any help would be appreciated.

squadRAWR 10-22-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldonandy (Post 28450650)
just went back with the move coupon and with just a little hassle they adjusted my receipt, this deal is getting better. Still looking for help with these settings though, all these tweaks are making this difficult, any help would be appreciated.

O wow nice man!! The mover coupon is the one from the post office right? How are you liking the TV? Like it for movies and games?

wildh 10-22-2014 06:11 PM

For this price it is hard to beat. I'd love to check it out with some content other than the best buy loop.

squadRAWR 10-22-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildh (Post 28455233)
For this price it is hard to beat. I'd love to check it out with some content other than the best buy loop.

So true but if you're a gamer it might have terrible input lag. It would be cool if best buy had gaming consoles connected to it so you can try it out.

wildh 10-22-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squadRAWR (Post 28455385)
So true but if you're a gamer it might have terrible input lag. It would be cool if best buy had gaming consoles connected to it so you can try it out.

Yes that would be a deal breaker if it's super slow.

squadRAWR 10-22-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildh (Post 28455585)
Yes that would be a deal breaker if it's super slow.

Yeah I know =\

soldonandy 10-23-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squadRAWR (Post 28455161)
O wow nice man!! The mover coupon is the one from the post office right? How are you liking the TV? Like it for movies and games?

yep, just went to the post office and they had no problem giving me one. I like the set, I actually replaced a 50" samsung plasma, have always been on the plasma boat but I love new things and like the smart features. All in all, it is driving me nuts trying to get the picture right, the plasma just seemed to fall together so easily picture wise but it's a cool tv for a good price. I have always been a big fan of panny and I think they will be really competitive in the LED market and are kind of a sleeper right now because their focus was on plasma but their engineering is always top notch and will soon be at the top of the pack compared to some of the junk out there.

squadRAWR 10-23-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldonandy (Post 28481362)
yep, just went to the post office and they had no problem giving me one. I like the set, I actually replaced a 50" samsung plasma, have always been on the plasma boat but I love new things and like the smart features. All in all, it is driving me nuts trying to get the picture right, the plasma just seemed to fall together so easily picture wise but it's a cool tv for a good price. I have always been a big fan of panny and I think they will be really competitive in the LED market and are kind of a sleeper right now because their focus was on plasma but their engineering is always top notch and will soon be at the top of the pack compared to some of the junk out there.

Any luck getting the picture settings right? Have you played anything fast motion on this unit yet? and if you do gaming, how is the input lag on it.

soldonandy 10-24-2014 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squadRAWR (Post 28483386)
Any luck getting the picture settings right? Have you played anything fast motion on this unit yet? and if you do gaming, how is the input lag on it.

Still tinkering, some channels look really good and some look noisy, I understand that the broadcast may be a factor and maybe I am just looking more critically than I normally do but I still feel there is a ways to go in terms of getting the settings right. I guess I just don't understand the contrast and brightness because with plasma it was easier to get it right. I also, don't know how far to take it with the advanced processing.

Sam M Stache 10-24-2014 03:43 PM

I bought this TV a week ago, and it is great for the money.

I have no input lag problems at all, and i game on my tv all the time. XBONE and PC both, and have seen no problems.

I turn off every motion enhancement option there is, so none of that crap is on. Once all that is off, it runs great, the picture is good, its sharp as my computer monitor, and has great colors with lots of options.

Im still lurking here until someone with some calibration tools runs a full calibration and posts the settings they used. I am mostly eyeballing it, and have it looking very nice. I can tell it isnt perfect, but it is very good.

I tried the Sharp 60" that Best Buy had for the same price, and it was complete garbage. the only way to turn off the soap opera effect was to turn on their game mode, which jacked up all the colors, and removed a large chunk of the customization options. It was never clear, and had terrible screen uniformity.

This TV has its drawbacks, as any 55" for 799 does.
Its viewing angles arent great. Its definitely not an IPS panel, but nothing in this price range is, so i had to deal because my budget was maxed for now.
It also doesnt have local dimming, and it is edge lit.
This is not a knock on the TV, those are negatives that come along with the price range.

Overall, I am very happy with this purchase, and will be keeping this one. It is well worth the $799 price of admission.

squadRAWR 10-24-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam M Stache (Post 28509441)
I bought this TV a week ago, and it is great for the money.

I have no input lag problems at all, and i game on my tv all the time. XBONE and PC both, and have seen no problems.

I turn off every motion enhancement option there is, so none of that crap is on. Once all that is off, it runs great, the picture is good, its sharp as my computer monitor, and has great colors with lots of options.

Im still lurking here until someone with some calibration tools runs a full calibration and posts the settings they used. I am mostly eyeballing it, and have it looking very nice. I can tell it isnt perfect, but it is very good.

I tried the Sharp 60" that Best Buy had for the same price, and it was complete garbage. the only way to turn off the soap opera effect was to turn on their game mode, which jacked up all the colors, and removed a large chunk of the customization options. It was never clear, and had terrible screen uniformity.

This TV has its drawbacks, as any 55" for 799 does.
Its viewing angles arent great. Its definitely not an IPS panel, but nothing in this price range is, so i had to deal because my budget was maxed for now.
It also doesnt have local dimming, and it is edge lit.
This is not a knock on the TV, those are negatives that come along with the price range.

Overall, I am very happy with this purchase, and will be keeping this one. It is well worth the $799 price of admission.

how would you rate this tv to an vizio m 55 inch tv that has an ips pannel anf local dimming for the same price of this tv unit. now i know this panasonic tv good for gaming thats a plus. btw what games you played on this unit. thank you

Sam M Stache 10-24-2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squadRAWR (Post 28509729)
how would you rate this tv to an vizio m 55 inch tv that has an ips pannel anf local dimming for the same price of this tv unit. now i know this panasonic tv good for gaming thats a plus. btw what games you played on this unit. thank you

Personally, i chose to go away from Vizio this time, purely because my last TV was a Vizio. I paid $1800 for it in early 2011, as it had the most features for the money. It died this year, so i got almost 4 years out of it. I loved that TV, as it had every feature available at the time.

that is the tradeoff you choose if you pick Vizio. they give you the best features/technology for the money, but they usually lack in the build quality/longevity. I did get 4 years out mine, which isnt terrible, but i would have liked to get 5 or so for nearly $2k.

If you want all the tech and are ok with normally slightly lower picture quality, but you get the features, then go Vizio.
If you want what you hope to be a better built, slightly better picture quality, but lacking some other features, then get the panasonic.

I dont think you will be disappointed with either.

squadRAWR 10-24-2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam M Stache (Post 28512537)
Personally, i chose to go away from Vizio this time, purely because my last TV was a Vizio. I paid $1800 for it in early 2011, as it had the most features for the money. It died this year, so i got almost 4 years out of it. I loved that TV, as it had every feature available at the time.

that is the tradeoff you choose if you pick Vizio. they give you the best features/technology for the money, but they usually lack in the build quality/longevity. I did get 4 years out mine, which isnt terrible, but i would have liked to get 5 or so for nearly $2k.

If you want all the tech and are ok with normally slightly lower picture quality, but you get the features, then go Vizio.
If you want what you hope to be a better built, slightly better picture quality, but lacking some other features, then get the panasonic.

I dont think you will be disappointed with either.

I pm you sir if you don't mind, thank you!

Sam M Stache 10-24-2014 08:35 PM

My account is too new, it wont let me PM you back, but here is my response.

i specifically went and played a game of destiny just to make sure, and i didnt notice any lag at all, so if there is any, it is so low i cant tell, and i am a picky gamer.

you will have no problems with this tv in your scenario, just turn on the game mode that turns off the motion enhancement.

Black Friday i would guess is not going to have all that many higher class tv's down at this price. there may be a few. usually they sell the class lower than this one, at way lower prices. If you have the luxury to wait for Black Friday, then you probably should, as there are always a few deals that are crazy good. I didnt have that luxury, so i went with the best deal i could find that wasnt a Vizio for me.

I thought of the same thing, but i didnt have the time to wait for black friday, so i went with this.

mattdr 10-24-2014 10:37 PM

I don't care what the dude above said about being fine for gaming. Unless I got a defective unit, it has 60-70ms display lag maybe even more. In game mode all processing turned off. My GT30 and my Sony have around 22ms.

It is clearly noticeable with online FPS.

But good luck.

Sam M Stache 10-24-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattdr (Post 28516785)
I don't care what the dude above said about being fine for gaming. Unless I got a defective unit, it has 60-70ms display lag maybe even more. In game mode all processing turned off. My GT30 and my Sony have around 22ms.

It is clearly noticeable with online FPS.

But good luck.

huh, im not saying that it is impossible. Im only saying i have played multiple games, and come originally from PC gaming. i notice no lag, and hasnt caused me any issues.

you have game mode on too?

Im in Custom

backlight = 50
contrast = 80
brightness = -25
color = 90
tint = 0
sharpness = 42
color temp = normal
vivid color = off
adaptive backlight control = off
cats = off
video NR = off
mpeg remaster = off
motion picture setting setting = off

advanced picture = game mode on
1080p pure direct = off
black level = light
screen settings
screen format full
overscan = off

mattdr 10-25-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam M Stache (Post 28517185)
huh, im not saying that it is impossible. Im only saying i have played multiple games, and come originally from PC gaming. i notice no lag, and hasnt caused me any issues.

Im in Custom

backlight = 50
contrast = 80
brightness = -25
color = 90
tint = 0
sharpness = 42
color temp = normal
vivid color = off
cats = off
video NR = off
mpeg remaster = off

1080p pure direct = off
black level = light
screen settings
screen format full
overscan = off

Yeah, I tried everything. I come from PC gaming too from when 9800 PRO was king..lol. Maybe Panasonic is using different manufacturers to make the panels/cpu's? not sure. Glad you have had positive results with lag though.

I'm waiting for the Vizio P to come down in price after reading the Lag results from it on CNET. Less than 20ms!

hawkijustin 10-25-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattdr (Post 28523785)
Yeah, I tried everything. I come from PC gaming too from when 9800 PRO was king..lol. Maybe Panasonic is using different manufacturers to make the panels/cpu's? not sure. Glad you have had positive results with lag though.

I'm waiting for the Vizio P to come down in price after reading the Lag results from it on CNET. Less than 20ms!

You must have had a bad unit because I have yet to notice any major input lag playing ps4.

Good luck with vizio. I had a 55" E, two 60" E sets and a 55" P so far and all of them went back. The local dimming doesn't work well and is useless for gaming and all the sets I had produced inaccurate colors and major light bleed and flashlighting. Not saying you will have the same issues but all 4 sets I had this year were letdowns especially the P series set.

Hank3 10-25-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkijustin (Post 28527705)

You must have had a bad unit because I have yet to notice any major input lag playing ps4.

Good luck with vizio. I had a 55" E, two 60" E sets and a 55" P so far and all of them went back. The local dimming doesn't work well and is useless for gaming and all the sets I had produced inaccurate colors and major light bleed and flashlighting. Not saying you will have the same issues but all 4 sets I had this year were letdowns especially the P series set.

I had the M552i-B2 a couple weeks ago. I didn't think it was worth the price premium over the E550i-B2...especially after reading the reviews on CNET and rtings. The 2014 E-series has really gotten good reviews...in particular the picture and black levels. So as I was going to Best Buy to exchange the M552i-B2 for the E550i-B2, a thread on slickdeals came up for the Panny set in this thread (TC-55AS680U) and I pulled the trigger for the Panny. I've had for about a week and a half, and there are things I really like about the set. The stand is far superior over the Vizio models as far as stability goes. The SmartTV interface is way nice. The picture so far has been OK I guess.

I have a Vizio E390i-A1 as our bedroom TV and IMO, the picture seems better than the Panny...but is that because it's a smaller screen and the PPI is better? I have a few days to decide to exchange the Panny for the E550i-B2. But it sounds like from your experience, that the Vizios you had have been all misses. Also considering a Samsung UN55F6300AF from 2013 that's $600. Would appreciate your thoughts.

squadRAWR 10-25-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank3 (Post 28537201)
I had the M552i-B2 a couple weeks ago. I didn't think it was worth the price premium over the E550i-B2...especially after reading the reviews on CNET and rtings. The 2014 E-series has really gotten good reviews...in particular the picture and black levels. So as I was going to Best Buy to exchange the M552i-B2 for the E550i-B2, a thread on slickdeals came up for the Panny set in this thread (TC-55AS680U) and I pulled the trigger for the Panny. I've had for about a week and a half, and there are things I really like about the set. The stand is far superior over the Vizio models as far as stability goes. The SmartTV interface is way nice. The picture so far has been OK I guess.

I have a Vizio E390i-A1 as our bedroom TV and IMO, the picture seems better than the Panny...but is that because it's a smaller screen and the PPI is better? I have a few days to decide to exchange the Panny for the E550i-B2. But it sounds like from your experience, that the Vizios you had have been all misses. Also considering a Samsung UN55F6300AF from 2013 that's $600. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Where could you get that samsung tv for that price? and also I think M55 is little better when it comes to hertz and screen. So I believe it will handle fast action movies/sports and games. And on this forum, they have a thread that talks about the M series and people in there said they were happy they exchange their E series for an M because of the screen looked much better.

Hank3 10-25-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squadRAWR (Post 28537433)
Where could you get that samsung tv for that price? and also I think M55 is little better when it comes to hertz and screen. So I believe it will handle fast action movies/sports and games. And on this forum, they have a thread that talks about the M series and people in there said they were happy they exchange their E series for an M because of the screen looked much better.

Local deal on the Samsung...it's used. The reviews on that unit seem to be that it's a solid unit but the black levels are just OK.

Well I guess I'm going against the grain as far as the E55 being the better value over the M55 for my needs. Switching to the Panny last minute was really an impulse decision as it was a unit that haf 240hz,better SmartTV features, and I assumed the picture was going to be better than the Vizios. But not so sure if the $150 price difference is worth it.

squadRAWR 10-25-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank3 (Post 28537689)
Local deal on the Samsung...it's used. The reviews on that unit seem to be that it's a solid unit but the black levels are just OK.

Well I guess I'm going against the grain as far as the E55 being the better value over the M55 for my needs. Switching to the Panny last minute was really an impulse decision as it was a unit that haf 240hz,better SmartTV features, and I assumed the picture was going to be better than the Vizios. But not so sure if the $150 price difference is worth it.

Yeah I guess you're right, if you're a regular user who just watches tvs and movies then E55 is good. I'm about to take a chance with the Vizio and pick up one tomorrow. I heard they have problems with the sounds aka lip sync but lets take a chance and hopefully mine works with everything <3

soldonandy 10-26-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam M Stache (Post 28517185)

Im in Custom

backlight = 50
contrast = 80
brightness = -25
color = 90
tint = 0
sharpness = 42
color temp = normal
vivid color = off
cats = off
video NR = off
mpeg remaster = off

1080p pure direct = off
black level = light
screen settings
screen format full
overscan = off

color 90?

PlasmaMan 10-26-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squadRAWR (Post 28540337)
I'm about to take a chance with the Vizio and pick up one tomorrow.

Dang bro why would you downgrade to the Kia of televisions.

mklimesh 10-26-2014 07:41 PM

Love this unit. Anyone notice that when off angle, the opposite side of the panel looks lighter when black screens are displayed? I can totally live with this I just want to make sure it is not a factory defect.

Sam M Stache 10-26-2014 09:34 PM

not a defect, it just doesnt have very good off angle viewing. mine is the same.

hawkijustin 10-27-2014 07:57 AM

Yep, mine is the same also. Its a downside of a VA panel. IPS screens have better viewing angles than VA screens but VA have better blacks.

I wish plasma wasnt dead :mad:

mklimesh 10-27-2014 08:11 AM

Thanks for making me feel better. Maybe I will post some pics. I feel like my 2014 Samsung H6350 does not do this. It is not IPS.

Hmmmm.....

mklimesh 10-27-2014 08:24 AM

Here is an example. I am sitting on the staircase to the basement. This is a kid's play area. I think I answered my own question about a defect. It completely goes away when you are viewing somewhat straight on and doesn't affect PQ except for black uniformity off angle. My H6350 has seating that is not off angle so that is why I probably don't notice. Otherwise, I love everything about this set.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...027_111438.jpg

squadRAWR 10-27-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 28568393)
Here is an example. I am sitting on the staircase to the basement. This is a kid's play area. I think I answered my own question about a defect. It completely goes away when you are viewing somewhat straight on and doesn't affect PQ except for black uniformity off angle. My H6350 has seating that is not off angle so that is why I probably don't notice. Otherwise, I love everything about this set.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...027_111438.jpg

Yeah I've read reviews hard on this unit and some place someone said that the view angles are pretty bad on this unit, little worst then a typical VA panel. I never had the unit so I can't say from personal experience but a few people online did say that.

mklimesh 10-27-2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squadRAWR (Post 28569105)
Yeah I've read reviews hard on this unit and some place someone said that the view angles are pretty bad on this unit, little worst then a typical VA panel. I never had the unit so I can't say from personal experience but a few people online did say that.

Viewing angles are actually very good (see attached). They are far better than my Samsung H6350. This is specifically dark screen specific issue as the pic shows in my previous post. My Samsung would be unviewable at the angle I captured below.

Straight on:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4/DSC_0243.JPG
Angle:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4/DSC_0244.JPG

mklimesh 10-28-2014 06:08 PM

So Sad.

Discovered bad clouding and flashlighting when watching the beginning of the newer Great Gatsby tonight. It was very pronounced and even showed through some of the scenes. Hadn't noticed it yet on any other widescreen films with top/bottom black bars. Either exchanging it or it is going back.

Hate this.

mklimesh 10-28-2014 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 28615417)
Discovered bad clouding and flashlighting when watching the beginning of the newer Great Gatsby tonight. It was very pronounced and even showed through some of the scenes. Hadn't noticed it yet on any other widescreen films with top/bottom black bars. Either exchanging it or it is going back.

Hate this.

And then I used the massage technique on the panel and it worked....wth

srinfla 10-29-2014 06:57 AM

I just purchased the last one of these in the Tampa bay area and apparently BB cannot order any at this time.
I did get the $799 price.

Set it up last night and noticed a sporadic shutter effect only on certain TV shows. It was not noticeable during commercials or sports programming, news, etc. Not sure what this is but will see if it happens again tonight.

Did anyone get their custom setting setup for optimal picture during regular viewing (not gaming)?.
If anyone could share these settings it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

mizzer 10-29-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srinfla (Post 28625810)
I just purchased the last one of these in the Tampa bay area and apparently BB cannot order any at this time.
I did get the $799 price.

Set it up last night and noticed a sporadic shutter effect only on certain TV shows. It was not noticeable during commercials or sports programming, news, etc. Not sure what this is but will see if it happens again tonight.

Did anyone get their custom setting setup for optimal picture during regular viewing (not gaming)?.
If anyone could share these settings it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

That's one of the reasons I sent mine back. :(
Ended up with the Sony 55" 700B. Very satisfied with the Sony panel.

ahmedqman 10-29-2014 04:54 PM

I just bought this panel. Some of the uniformity issues bug me (I noticed some banding on static images and panning through clouds/skies). This is my first major TV purchase, and I want to make it count. I have two days to return this thing and I want to make a decision.

It seems like this is an issue with most LED displays. How does the uniformity look on yall's displays?

If I wanted to not deal with banding at all, which panel is the way to go? Is there anything in the 50+ inch in the 800-900 price range?

squadRAWR 10-29-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmedqman (Post 28641881)
I just bought this panel. Some of the uniformity issues bug me (I noticed some banding on static images and panning through clouds/skies). This is my first major TV purchase, and I want to make it count. I have two days to return this thing and I want to make a decision.

It seems like this is an issue with most LED displays. How does the uniformity look on yall's displays?

If I wanted to not deal with banding at all, which panel is the way to go? Is there anything in the 50+ inch in the 800-900 price range?

You were in the same boat as I was. I would go with the 55" Samsung UN55H6350. I heard it's the best for the money around the 800-900 price range. It's on sale too on Best Buy for 900 and could use the movers coupon 10 percent to bring it down to 860.

mklimesh 10-29-2014 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmedqman (Post 28641881)

I have both in the 55" inch version. Uniformity (especially black) on the 6350 is nearly perfect. And, it is a killer TV. It has passed my picky test and is our everyday TV. I have to give the PQ nod to the Panny though (I can never see uniformity issues when a picture is displayed). Howerever, 2 nights ago I discovered bad black uniformity issues on the 680 when watching the dark intro to the newer Great Gatsby. I was bummed because I was so pleased up to that point. What I discovered was two corner flash lighting and two large clouding areas. Believe it or not, I almost eliminated 100% of it using panel massaging. I came across the thread on this forum. Basically, I took a clean microfiber cloth and "wiped" the panel from side to side and up and down. I definitely wiped hard enough for the panel to change to white where I was wiping (the TV was on) but not hard enough to break it. I will likely keep it because I like it a lot overall. It is kid's playroom and gaming unit. Plus my only other candidate is a second 6350 and I really prefer to have different toys. I am still considering though as I have one more week to return. The question is what is better in the price range and I am thinking not much.

ahmedqman 10-29-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 28642553)
I have both in the 55" inch version. Uniformity (especially black) on the 6350 is nearly perfect. And, it is a killer TV. It has passed my picky test and is our everyday TV. I have to give the PQ nod to the Panny though (I can never see uniformity issues when a picture is displayed). Howerever, 2 nights ago I discovered bad black uniformity issues on the 680 when watching the dark intro to the newer Great Gatsby. I was bummed because I was so pleased up to that point. What I discovered was two corner flash lighting and two large clouding areas. Believe it or not, I almost eliminated 100% of it using panel massaging. I came across the thread on this forum. Basically, I took a clean microfiber cloth and "wiped" the panel from side to side and up and down. I definitely wiped hard enough for the panel to change to white where I was wiping (the TV was on) but not hard enough to break it. I will likely keep it because I like it a lot overall. It is kid's playroom and gaming unit. Plus my only other candidate is a second 6350 and I really prefer to have different toys. I am still considering though as I have one more week to return. The question is what is better in the price range and I am thinking not much.

How is the banding on the 6350? I heard that this is a common problem with edge-lit displays.

mklimesh 10-29-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmedqman (Post 28642601)
How is the banding on the 6350? I heard that this is a common problem with edge-lit displays.

There is none. Black uniformity is nearly perfect.

ahmedqman 10-31-2014 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 28642905)
There is none. Black uniformity is nearly perfect.

How is the gray uniformity? Any dirty screen effect?

soldonandy 10-31-2014 02:47 PM

I don't know what TV in this price range (low 700's) is going to hold up to the scrutiny that you guys put TV's through but considering the build quality, specs and features, I don't know what else is better.

lepavsforums 10-31-2014 05:06 PM

Off angle example

2 Attachment(s)
Coming from a 47" LG IPS panel TV, I'm was really concerned with VA panel poor off angle viewing. But after comparing other high end/expensive brands (SONY, Samsung), I found the TC-55AS680U had the best off angle performance for VA panel at the lowest price point (I found an OpenBox @ $647.99). FYI, the box will perfectly fit a 2nd gen Prius.

A couple dark room direct and off angle pics:

mklimesh 10-31-2014 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lepavsforums (Post 28697369)
Coming from a 47" LG IPS panel TV, I'm was really concerned with VA panel poor off angle viewing. But after comparing other high end/expensive brands (SONY, Samsung), I found the TC-55AS680U had the best off angle performance for VA panel at the lowest price point (I found an OpenBox @ $647.99). FYI, the box will perfectly fit a 2nd gen Prius.

A couple dark room direct and off angle pics:

How is your panel performing on dark screens? Have you noticed the off angle bright hotspots like my previous posts?

mklimesh 11-01-2014 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldonandy (Post 28694698)
I don't know what TV in this price range (low 700's) is going to hold up to the scrutiny that you guys put TV's through but considering the build quality, specs and features, I don't know what else is better.

Um. Took 2 seconds to think of one. I also have a Samsung 55H6350. If my replacement 680 has the same clouding as my current one (which is not really that bad but I have units that have no problems so it is more annoying to me specifically), I am going to spend $90 more on another 6350 which has perfect black uniformity (rtings.com seems to agree). Although the Panny gets a slight nod on PQ, I will always be bugged by black uniformity issues when I see them.

The H6350 can be had at BestBuy for $810 right now.

hawkijustin 11-01-2014 10:59 AM

So far I'm very happy with this TV. Played some sunset overdrive all night last night and some ps4 games today. Looks great with no noticeable lag. Picking up COD Monday so that will be a good test of lag but so far even titanfall passes the lag test for me.

lepavsforums 11-01-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 28698585)
How is your panel performing on dark screens? Have you noticed the off angle bright hotspots like my previous posts?

I have not noticed any off angle hotspots, I tried to reproduce your pic but my camera would not capture the all black screen. It appears the backlight always dims even with C.A.T.S and active backlight control off. I would say off angle all black uniformity is almost perfect (backlight dims significantly), however I did notice that the four corners (~half inch) are slightly darker. My TV was made 7/2014 in Mexico.

mklimesh 11-01-2014 08:07 PM

55AS680 is packed up....

Quote:

Originally Posted by lepavsforums (Post 28715538)
I have not noticed any off angle hotspots, I tried to reproduce your pic but my camera would not capture the all black screen. It appears the backlight always dims even with C.A.T.S and active backlight control off. I would say off angle all black uniformity is almost perfect (backlight dims significantly), however I did notice that the four corners (~half inch) are slightly darker. My TV was made 7/2014 in Mexico.

and going back to BestBuy in the morning for either a reorder of the same model or an exchange for a Samsung 55H6350. The final straw was that I discovered dark screen banding this evening in addition to the subtle clouding and flashlighting. This whole situation would have never occurred if I didn't already own a Samsung 55H6350 that has near perfect black uniformity (http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/h6350 Being a Panasonic fanboy and loving the features and PQ of this set, I happen to be pretty sad about all this.

Other than the black uniformity issues which I am hoping are a defect that will be resolved with a fresh unit, this is the best LED picture I have ever seen. I've openly said that I believe the 680 is as good as my ST series Panasonic plasma.

sugarshine 11-01-2014 11:11 PM

DO we have any good settings yet? I can't seem to find any for this set..

mklimesh 11-02-2014 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarshine (Post 28722330)
DO we have any good settings yet? I can't seem to find any for this set..

[from memory] while I had it, I found the best PQ to be Custom/User

Backlight: 80
Contrast: 100
Brightness: negative 20
Color: 50
Color temp: cool/warm
motion: off
CATS: off
adaptive backlight: off
Black level: Dark (in an advanced menu - very very important)

If there is too much dark, adjust the brightness up a bit but not the backlight. I achieved near plasma like PQ using roughly these settings.

mklimesh 11-02-2014 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldonandy (Post 28694698)

And today the Samsung 55H6350 is 749.99 at BestBuy.

soldonandy 11-02-2014 10:17 AM

The panny does get the nod in PQ I agree and is cheaper then the samsung you mentioned. I have always had better luck with panasonic products vs. samsung in the long run.

soldonandy 11-02-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 28727242)

Still don't like samsung.

soldonandy 11-02-2014 10:23 AM

Here are highlights from the CNET review of the Samsung:

"The Bad Lighter black levels and uneven picture uniformity lead to a mediocre home theater image; bad sound quality; Smart TV design can be overwhelming.
The Bottom Line Despite picture quality that's just average, the Samsung UNH6350's high-end features and design for a midrange price will win plenty of converts."

Chingu808 11-02-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklimesh (Post 28727242)

That was Amazon's price but it has gone back up to what BB's price is $899.99. Although some people were able to price match Amazon's price when it was $749.99. The folks you purchased the Sammy TV are also saying they got a $100 GC. To bad our BB does not open for another 1-2 hours.

mklimesh 11-02-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldonandy (Post 28731257)
Here are highlights from the CNET review of the Samsung:

"The Bad Lighter black levels and uneven picture uniformity lead to a mediocre home theater image; bad sound quality; Smart TV design can be overwhelming.
The Bottom Line Despite picture quality that's just average, the Samsung UNH6350's high-end features and design for a midrange price will win plenty of converts."

I don't disagree with the sound quality but I can tell you my copy of the Panny had terrible black uniformity. RTINGS.COM says the black uniformity on the Samsung 6350 they tested was nearly perfect as is the one I own in my family room. Heck, if the Samsung's black uniformity was not so good, I may not have not noticed how bad the Panny was. I am not sure that I have been able to pick up on uniformity problems when a actual picture is displayed. So, I am not sure what that looks like.

So 2 hours ago, I am standing at BestBuy with my packed up 55AS680 deciding if I should reorder the Panny (from the warehouse) or get a second Samsung 6350 pricematched to Amazon for $749. The manager was willing to do either and the Samsung was in stock. The manager (who was clearly a home theater enthusiast and an owner of a ZT60 Panasonic plasma herself) told me that her training led her to believe that the Panny 680 was always intended to go down to 799.99 and that she didn't believe a reorder would help (implying that the Panny was feature packed but skimping on total quality a bit).

In the end, I reordered the Panny because of how amazing the picture was (aside from the black uniformity) and features were hoping that my unit was simply defective. And, in the process, lost a chance to get the Samsung 6350 for $749 at BestBuy. :confused::confused:. If you could have seen the 680 side by side with my ST series plasma and holding it's own playing Avatar, you would have done the same thing!!!!

Praying for a good panel!!!

soldonandy 11-02-2014 01:35 PM

Hope you get a good one too! I don't like the stand for the samsung either, I think for 700 or so every tv has their strengths and weekness's, the panny definately has some flaws but when it's good it's good.

mklimesh 11-02-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldonandy (Post 28735665)
Hope you get a good one too! I don't like the stand for the samsung either, I think for 700 or so every tv has their strengths and weekness's, the panny definately has some flaws but when it's good it's good.

Thanks for pulling for me and, agreed, yes the Panny is good when its good!

mklimesh 11-02-2014 02:35 PM

Did you get the gift card as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chingu808 (Post 28731833)
That was Amazon's price but it has gone back up to what BB's price is $899.99. Although some people were able to price match Amazon's price when it was $749.99. The folks you purchased the Sammy TV are also saying they got a $100 GC. To bad our BB does not open for another 1-2 hours.

I saw over on SlickDeals that you got the $100 gift card as well with the pricematch???

When I went to return my 55AS680, I tried to get the Amazon pricematch and giftcard as well on the 55H6350. The manager said it would take an override (price match zeros out the gift card apparently) and she said she would not do it. Since the $749 was only $50 less than I paid for my 55H6350 back in June/July (Target in store price error ($999.99 - was supposed to go back to $1099 the day the Cartwheel offer started -->) + Cartwheel offer (15% off) + Target Redcard (5% off), I decided to give the 55AS680 a second chance so I reordered it hoping for a panel with better black uniformity.

srinfla 11-03-2014 11:50 AM

Jutter and Banding

Has anyone else experience the Jutter where only some shows will see a slight skip ahead every few seconds? Is there a setting that eliminates or reduces this? Also, what setting or setting reduce the banding? I do love the picture on this set and can live with some reduce banding, but the jutter really bugs me when it's noticeable. There has to be a a setting that stops this, even if it reduces PQ.

Thanks

mklimesh 11-03-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srinfla (Post 28758626)
Has anyone else experience the Jutter where only some shows will see a slight skip ahead every few seconds? Is there a setting that eliminates or reduces this? Also, what setting or setting reduce the banding? I do love the picture on this set and can live with some reduce banding, but the jutter really bugs me when it's noticeable. There has to be a a setting that stops this, even if it reduces PQ.

Thanks

I didn't experience Judder. I have heard this mentioned about this TV. Was this on cable? My unit was never connected to a cable box only Bluray and USB .mkv files. Here some settings I posted:

Backlight: 80
Contrast: 100
Brightness: negative 20
Color: 50
Color temp: cool/warm
motion: off
CATS: off
adaptive backlight: off
Black level: Dark (in an advanced menu - very very important)

mklimesh 11-03-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srinfla (Post 28758626)

Thanks

Also, my banding was only slight and could only be seen off angle. It was the final straw after the clouding and flash lighting. Loved this unit. Waiting on the reorder and praying for a panel with good black uniformity.

srinfla 11-03-2014 01:14 PM

This is occurring only on cable and only on certain stations or programs.