55" Panasonic 240Hz TC-55AS680U. Help Please. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 165 Old 10-18-2014, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question 55" Panasonic 240Hz TC-55AS680U. Sale ends today. Help Please.

Hello!!! I'm new to the forums and just found out about it since I'm trying to find research on this TV unit I would like to purchase. On Slickdeals, someone posted up a good deal will I believe to be a good deal on an 55" Panasonic 240Hz TC-55AS680U. The link is here

It use to cost around 1,300 but on sale for today around 800 bucks and I have a movers coupon to make it around 720 w/o tax. I was trying to find information on it but hoping if I could get some help on either I should buy it or wait for black friday. Today the last day and hopefully I could get help before the sales end if it's worth picking up.

Thank you!!!!

Last edited by squadRAWR; 10-18-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 165 Old 10-18-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to bump this thread extremely early. I don't know if that is a rule here to not to do this but I actually need help. Sorry mods and admins for this. Not trying to be a pain in the butt but the sale actually ends in 2 and a half hours and want to buy it before it ends. I just found about it and want to grab it if its hot or just wait till black friday.
post #3 of 165 Old 10-18-2014, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Best deal around as far as I'm concerned. You've seen it in the store, you've seen the reviews on Best Buy. 240hz panel with great, natural colors. Get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 165 Old 10-18-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaMan View Post
Best deal around as far as I'm concerned. You've seen it in the store, you've seen the reviews on Best Buy. 240hz panel with great, natural colors. Get it.
Some website said the 240 hertz on this tv isn't the best but I don't know how to reply to that. I never seen it in the store yet because of personal reasons but it has free home delivery. I know you're not a future teller but you think they might have better deals on black friday. Should I wait or jump on this, would suck to loose this deal.
post #5 of 165 Old 10-18-2014, 07:45 PM

It is normally priced $1199 and had gone on sale for $999 a couple times, I was surprised to see it at $799 last Sunday when it first went on sale. I don't think you're going to do better than your 10% off $799 on black friday. What website did you see a mention of the 240hz not being good? I've never actually seen any reviews outside of Best Buy's website. It looks great in person.
post #6 of 165 Old 10-18-2014, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It is normally priced $1199 and had gone on sale for $999 a couple times, I was surprised to see it at $799 last Sunday when it first went on sale. I don't think you're going to do better than your 10% off $799 on black friday. What website did you see a mention of the 240hz not being good? I've never actually seen any reviews outside of Best Buy's website. It looks great in person.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...-led-tv-review and trying to find the other one.

BTW how would you compare this to an VIZIO M552i-B2

Last edited by squadRAWR; 10-18-2014 at 07:54 PM.
post #7 of 165 Old 10-18-2014, 07:57 PM

Further down the page he talks about the motion performance of the set:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...splay-nyc.html

I like the Panasonic better than the Vizio. Especially for $799.
post #8 of 165 Old 10-18-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Further down the page he talks about the motion performance of the set:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...splay-nyc.html

I like the Panasonic better than the Vizio. Especially for $799.
Yeah I think I have to go with this. I don't THINK black friday going to have a better deal then this hopefully for me LOL. It's just the price I think is extremely cheap and looks like a solid TV. I'll be watching movies, son will be watching anime and I will be gaming on it. I hope the input lag of it is good. I wish it had more reviews for this unit.
post #9 of 165 Old 10-18-2014, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Yes, go and get the deals. I think it's worth the money as you get the manufacturer deal that combined with retailer deal.
post #10 of 165 Old 10-18-2014, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolalden View Post
Yes, go and get the deals. I think it's worth the money as you get the manufacturer deal that combined with retailer deal.
I just order the TV!!! I felt like it was a good deal in my book. By any chance, do you have this unit?
post #11 of 165 Old 10-19-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought this past Friday and just set it up last night. I was originally going to get the Vizio M552i-B2, but decided to go with this after learning that this one is native 240Hz, where as the Vizio advertises 240Hz, but it is not native. The Best Buy salesman also said the Panasonic has IPS and it Vizio.

I'm sure both TVs look great once you get them home, but I am happy with this purchase so far. Still lots of configuring and personalizing to do, but that is fun for me. It definitely has a lot of features, apps and screens that you can move around, similar to using a tablet.

The picture looks really nice. Will update more later.
post #12 of 165 Old 10-19-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Forgot to add....the sale price on this TV was DEFINITELY worth getting. That was what caught my eye to begin with. Normally $1299, down to $799? I checked again and they have the same sale going on this week too.

I could be wrong, but I doubt there will be a deeper discount for a TV of this size & spec during Black Friday. Getting it now to take advantage of that deal was a good decision IMO.
post #13 of 165 Old 10-19-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
TC-55AS680U is not IPS at least the one I got at bestbuy (exclusive to BB I think). I got it last week. It has more calibration settings than you can shake a stick at and it a great value for those that just like to watch TV. Input lag is horrendous though. Even in game mode with everything turned off it was probably around 90ms. PS4 BF4 was trigger pull.............boom. If you game skip it. If you just watch TV I thought it looked close to the samsung 7150 with it's glossy screen and vivid colors.
post #14 of 165 Old 10-20-2014, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdr View Post
TC-55AS680U is not IPS at least the one I got at bestbuy (exclusive to BB I think). I got it last week. It has more calibration settings than you can shake a stick at and it a great value for those that just like to watch TV. Input lag is horrendous though. Even in game mode with everything turned off it was probably around 90ms. PS4 BF4 was trigger pull.............boom. If you game skip it. If you just watch TV I thought it looked close to the samsung 7150 with it's glossy screen and vivid colors.
Wow thats terrible for me then. I will mostly be playing games on it then movies/shows. I'm about to cancel then because of that. So weird that it has that much lag for a 240 hertz... really sucks.
post #15 of 165 Old 10-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Reviewed.com said it had great blacks and bad viewing angle so it should be VA. I saw it at Best Buy on the top shelf and viewing angles looked better than most.

How is the viewing angle at home as well as the blacks in a dim/dark room. If I can get positive answers to these questions I will pull the trigger also.

Last edited by tomnan24; 10-20-2014 at 01:51 PM.
post #16 of 165 Old 10-20-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
The viewing angle wasn't that bad for a VA at all. I returned mine because of the terrible input lag. Otherwise it's a good TV for 719.99 with the BB mover coupon. I'm going with the Vizio P now.
post #17 of 165 Old 10-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The viewing angle wasn't that bad for a VA at all. I returned mine because of the terrible input lag. Otherwise it's a good TV for 719.99 with the BB mover coupon. I'm going with the Vizio P now.
Good luck with it. That's what I had planned on buying but decided to put off 4K for a couple years. Thanks for the input.

Oh, did you watch it in a dim/dark room? What was your impression?
post #18 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome TV so far, I dont game on it so input lag is not important to me.

Need some of the AVS Forum pro's to spit out some calibration settings :P

For the money/Picture/Features not sure you can beat the price off $799 then add in a movers coupon, and discover cashback and yeah sweeeeeet
post #19 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario66 View Post
Awesome TV so far, I dont game on it so input lag is not important to me.

Need some of the AVS Forum pro's to spit out some calibration settings :P

For the money/Picture/Features not sure you can beat the price off $799 then add in a movers coupon, and discover cashback and yeah sweeeeeet
Mario66, I'm looking for dim/dark room experiences in regard to screen glow and black level impressions.
post #20 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post
Mario66, I'm looking for dim/dark room experiences in regard to screen glow and black level impressions.
I actually think black levels are decent. I am coming from an old Panasonic plasma 720p TH42PX80U.

As far as screen glow you mean sort of like a light bleed effect / uneven color reproduction.
post #21 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The mover's coupon doesn't work with an item already on sale.
post #22 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldonandy View Post
The mover's coupon doesn't work with an item already on sale.
It worked with this tv.

I had the TV set up since Sunday. Two things are prompting me to return it. 1) There is a stuck pixel and dark corners. I think a new television screen should be production-perfect out of the box. 2) The motion issue is really noticeable. I turned on the motion-correction feature at its lowest setting to counter this issue. It did help but the soap-opera effect sneaks through during some scenes.

It's going back. I intend to pick up the Sony 700B when it drops to $799 again.
post #23 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
It worked with this tv.

I had the TV set up since Sunday. Two things are prompting me to return it. 1) There is a stuck pixel and dark corners. I think a new television screen should be production-perfect out of the box. 2) The motion issue is really noticeable. I turned on the motion-correction feature at its lowest setting to counter this issue. It did help but the soap-opera effect sneaks through during some scenes.

It's going back. I intend to pick up the Sony 700B when it drops to $799 again.
I agree its does have slightly darker corners(about an inch out from each corner) unless I'm specifically looking for it or focusing my eyes on the corners it doesn't bother me. It's also a typical trait/flaw I believe of lcd/led

Last edited by Mario66; 10-21-2014 at 08:31 AM.
post #24 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I would expect input lag to be inline with the other panasonic led in the same class. In game mode would be 50-55ms. Still not great.
post #25 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I jumped on the deal as well. So far I'm pleased. The colors are very nice, and the blacks really are nice and deep (coming from a Panasonic Plasma).

Soap Opera effect is there...turned off the "Movie Motion Picture" setting or whatever it was which helped, but hasn't eliminated the problem entirely.

Side angle viewing isn't bad at all.

The screen is quite glossy and glare can be a problem.

Haven't gamed on it yet, so time shall tell when it comes to that. I'm not much of a FPS guy, though.

Would love to get some real experts playing around with this set so find its optimal settings...
post #26 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post
I jumped on the deal as well. So far I'm pleased. The colors are very nice, and the blacks really are nice and deep (coming from a Panasonic Plasma).

Soap Opera effect is there...turned off the "Movie Motion Picture" setting or whatever it was which helped, but hasn't eliminated the problem entirely.

Side angle viewing isn't bad at all.

The screen is quite glossy and glare can be a problem.

Haven't gamed on it yet, so time shall tell when it comes to that. I'm not much of a FPS guy, though.

Would love to get some real experts playing around with this set so find its optimal settings...
If you go into picture settings, there is an option to disable auto-convert to 24FPS. I don't have this set, but I've read others have had success making this change.

Looks like a nice set. Seriously considering it to replace an aging 52" Sony XBR-3.
post #27 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

It would be nice with someone with the game systems like ps3, ps4 would reply to this thread and see if that statement about games being bad on this tv is true or not that bad. Just seems like regular people bought this unit and non gamers did.

Last edited by squadRAWR; 10-21-2014 at 01:56 PM.
post #28 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeinck View Post
If you go into picture settings, there is an option to disable auto-convert to 24FPS. I don't have this set, but I've read others have had success making this change.

Looks like a nice set. Seriously considering it to replace an aging 52" Sony XBR-3.
Yes...I think i's called "Motion Picture Setting" or something. The setting is described as helping to reduce blur. I turned it off, and it was helpful, although motion can still be a tad unnatural at times.

I assume this is the correct setting?

I spent about 15 minutes looking for something that directly said "24FPS", but it seems as if every company has it's own name.
post #29 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadRAWR View Post
It would be nice with someone with the game systems like ps3, ps4 would reply to this thread and see if that statement about games being bad on this tv is true or not that bad. Just seems like regular people bought this unit and non gamers did.
I have a ps3 and ps4. I'll see if I have some time this weekend to give them a spin.

Like I said, though, I'm not sure how much games like The Last of Us will be impacted relative to something a little more jerky and fast-paced.
post #30 of 165 Old 10-21-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post
Yes...I think i's called "Motion Picture Setting" or something. The setting is described as helping to reduce blur. I turned it off, and it was helpful, although motion can still be a tad unnatural at times.

I assume this is the correct setting?

I spent about 15 minutes looking for something that directly said "24FPS", but it seems as if every company has it's own name.
Is there an option called Intelligent Frame Creation (IFC)? Some Panasonic sets have this as the setting. I checked the Owner's Manual, which isn't of much help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page