Do you regret buying a 4K set early? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do you regret purchasing 4K early?
Yes 13 34.21%
No 25 65.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By dchalfont
  • 3 Post By westa6969
  • 1 Post By OggideM
  • 1 Post By Sound & Vision
  • 1 Post By Geoff D

post #1 of 26 Old 11-01-2014, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Do you regret buying a 4K set early?

I bought the Sony XBR 55850A around 5 months ago and although the set is great, I do somewhat feel like I should have waited.

I knew that the landscape of 4K was relatively non-existent at the time, but I was hoping that there would be some good online content I could find that would pass the time. Most of the stuff online (other than the LG demos) doesn't look fantastic and a lot of the YouTube videos are not great.

I haven't got access to the Sony X1 player here in New Zealand and I can't see anything else on the horizon.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-01-2014, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Happy with mine, I have the LG 55UB850T and it works great as a PC monitor and I'm getting the full 4:4:4 at 60Hz which is a bonus.

Don't care for the smart features though because I never use them.
post #3 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachpie View Post
I bought the Sony XBR 55850A around 5 months ago and although the set is great, I do somewhat feel like I should have waited.

I knew that the landscape of 4K was relatively non-existent at the time, but I was hoping that there would be some good online content I could find that would pass the time. Most of the stuff online (other than the LG demos) doesn't look fantastic and a lot of the YouTube videos are not great.

I haven't got access to the Sony X1 player here in New Zealand and I can't see anything else on the horizon.

What are your thoughts?
So far really happy with my Vizio 50" from Amazon. It's Youtube and Netflix apps are simply amazing on this display.
The best picture I have ever seen was from an over the air signal from a local station that didn't send out multiple signals, and the 4K from Netflix works well.
My eye "sees" this display as a significant improvement over the screen on my previous 40" Toshiba 1080.
Hugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Buying a 4k TV in the last 12 months would have been like buying a receiver that did DTS MA half way through the DVD era...and years before blu ray.

The crappy panels in them, plus the price premium....plus no content and PC hardware that curls into the fetal position when trying to run 4k is just insane impulse buying.

When and if 100gb+ blu ray disks are introduced with the next DTS, Auros formats fully on board, and also the next gen graphics cards for pc...which are 12-24 months away...then will be the time to get a 4k TV.
bodean and barrelbelly like this.
post #5 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 81
In my opinion, the success of 4K will rely on upscaling abilities. There are so many financial and technological hurdles to overcome before true 4K can become mainstream that I have serious doubts. 4K might linger like 3D. That has been pushed in TV's for years now but it is still a fringe interest. Very little content even today and it's starting to fade. It's possible in 5 years, "the next big thing" will take over and take TV tech in a whole different direction.
post #6 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post
Buying a 4k TV in the last 12 months would have been like buying a receiver that did DTS MA half way through the DVD era...and years before blu ray.

The crappy panels in them, plus the price premium....plus no content and PC hardware that curls into the fetal position when trying to run 4k is just insane impulse buying.

When and if 100gb+ blu ray disks are introduced with the next DTS, Auros formats fully on board, and also the next gen graphics cards for pc...which are 12-24 months away...then will be the time to get a 4k TV.
Your argument has been regurgitated repeatedly over the past 15 years as this all has evolved and your obviously not in the camp as an early adopter.

Facts are HD started the same way and things are moving along much faster now with 4K UHD.

That next 4K console will focus on streaming services but also cater to dinosaurs that must have a physical piece of media to hold and see just all that came before them and they've all fallen by the wayside. Virtually Zero Video rental stores, Record Shops, VHS, Laser Disk, Cassettes, - the BD disk will eventually fall victim once streaming/broadcasts capture the wider audience by sit on their arse OD.

Streaming and Broadcasting will put an end to that need. Sure next year they'll add some appeasement to those that need to hold it that eventually will die off.
  • Netflix
  • Amazon Prime
  • Sony/Samsung Consoles
  • Many other systems likely to be announced @ces 2015
  • Asia went full-time with UHDTV Channel back in June in Japan and others likely will follow.

Displayport 1.3 is a game changer that pretty much makes HDMI obsolete. We may see more of it in 2015 - Panny AX900 has the previous version.

Your correct for yourself as your argument has been there during every step of this evolution of HT. Save your money and join us by 2020 - in the meantime for many it's a hobby that's not really that costly to enjoy the HT seat firsthand IN the HT Revolution. I prefer my seat over yours even if I'm an early adopter as it's a safe hobby that harms no one. I'll take a piece at a time just as we did with HD especially back then the prices were 5 times higher than today.

We're both correct I believe but we (early Adopters) get to enjoy the game for all four quarters and it sure as hell is NOT as bad as you make it out to be - Jesus Cripes did you ever dream you could buy a 75" - 85" for less tha $10K or those low prices on the Vizio P though not perfect most buyers of UHD are happy campers which is why YOY sales are up over 475% and growing.

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's

Last edited by westa6969; 11-02-2014 at 02:24 PM.
post #7 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Your argument has been regurgitated repeatedly over the past 15 years as this all has evolved and your obviously not in the camp as an early adopter.

Facts are HD started the same way and things are moving along much faster now with 4K UHD.

That next 4K console will cater to dinosaurs that must have a physical piece of media just all that came before them and they've all fallen by the wayside. Virtually Zero Video rental stores, Record Shops, VHS, Laser Disk, Cassettes, - the BD disk will eventually fall victim once streaming/broadcasts capture the wider audience by sit on their arse OD.

Streaming and Broadcasting will put an end to that need. Sure next year they'll add some appeasement to those that need to hold it that eventually will die off.
  • Netflix
  • Amazon Prime
  • Sony/Samsung Consoles
  • Asia went full-time with UHDTV Channel back in June in Japan and others likely will follow.

Displayport 1.3 is a game changer that pretty much makes HDMI obsolete. We may see more of it in 2015 - Panny AX900 has the previous version.

Your correct for yourself as your argument has been there during every step of this evolution of HT. Save your money and join us by 2020 - in the meantime for many it's a hobby that's not really that costly to enjoy the HT seat firsthand IN the HT Revolution. I prefer my seat over yours even if I'm an early adopter as it's a safe hobby that harms no one. I'll take a piece at a time just as we did with HD especially back then the prices were 5 times higher than today.

We're both correct I believe but we (early Adopters) get to enjoy the game for all four quarters and it sure as hell is NOT as bad as you make it out to be - Jesus Cripes did you ever dream you could buy a 75" - 85" for less tha $10K or those low prices on the Vizio P though not perfect most buyers of UHD are happy campers which is why YOY sales are up over 475% and growing.

it's funny that you mention early adopters.

given that of course early HDTV adopters were screwed over massively (not on the pricepoint) by the rise of Vizio/Costco and the 46" $600 or so lcds.
joe six pack got in quick and demanded CHANNELS CHANNELS CHANNELS.
which is why we (were) are now stuck with the crappily downrezzed bitstarved offerings on cable/sat.
(customers got in before infrastructure could expand)

if 4k panels do the same, customers will get in even-earlier before infrastructure (broadband) is feasible. enjoy streaming your 4k movies and netflix shows with your 200 GB monthly data cap and when everyone on your block is trying to pull 50-60 mbps.
gtaylor0 likes this.

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #8 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm enjoying my purchase very much. Even though the content I am receiving is not 4K (yet) the picture on my new Samsung 65" HU8550, is leaps and bounds better then the 7 year old 52" HD Samsung it replaced. Must be the up scaling, as I have never seen a picture on a TV screen that was so beautiful. DirecTV is already offering 4K pay per view and they will be launching a new satellite for 4K in 2015. I am still in my return period and seriously considering exchanging it for either the 75" HU8550 or the 78" HU9000. Just have to decide which one. So I am in for the long hall and a happy camper.
post #9 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 280
No regrets at all.. The whole family is enjoying it every day.. My 4k tv was the Best purchase I ever made.

You can sit around for ever waiting for the perfect tv, not going to happen.. Technology changes and improves every year.... You need to either jump in at some point or live with what you have.. Or fork out $15,000+ for a 77" 4k OLED.
Geoff D likes this.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Westa6969 is right! I remember when 720p vs 1080p was the talk from the same so called experts quoting, from normal seating distance you could not see the difference between 720p vs 1080p and of course their is no 1080p content.
Now we have 4K and nothing is new under the sun!
post #11 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Ahhh good ol streaming.

As someone in the broadband industry, I can assure you that the Broadband infrastructure in the States is not even close to being up to snuff to handle future streaming needs. The ISP's,telco's etc. are way behind more than you can possibly know. Don't get too excited yet.

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
post #12 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1446
Quote:

Not fast enough

Another reason why HDTV's aren't moving ahead faster with 4k specs and beyond.

We're both correct I believe but we (early Adopters) get to enjoy the game for all four quarters and it sure as hell is NOT as bad as you make it out to be

Yet you still owe a 1080p set for being an early adopter to 4k.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #13 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Regret it. I bought a Samsung HU8550 about 4 months ago as it was about time to replace my 1080p set with something else and since I have a beefy PC I figured going 4K would be worth it for gaming - wasn't too concerned about the lack of 4K video content. Samsung clearly stated in the manual that it supported 4:4:4/4K/60Hz yet this setup does not work with the new HDMI 2.0 video cards.

Luckily, Amazon agreed to refund after I explained the whole situation, so I don't feel so burned now. That said I'm without a TV now and I think I will just hold off on buying a new one until next year.
post #14 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

That next 4K console will focus on streaming services but also cater to dinosaurs that must have a physical piece of media to hold and see just all that came before them and they've all fallen by the wayside. Virtually Zero Video rental stores, Record Shops, VHS, Laser Disk, Cassettes, - the BD disk will eventually fall victim once streaming/broadcasts capture the wider audience by sit on their arse OD.

• Netflix
  • Amazon Prime
  • Sony/Samsung Consoles

That's not true at all, when 1080p tvs were being sold it was just prior to blu ray launching. 4k tvs have been sold for a longer period of time before 4k content than 1080p ever was. Also pc monitors were using similar or greater resolutions when 1080p tvs came out. This time around the resolution of tvs is far beyondnthe pc technology to run it. If you had 3 or 4 of the best graphics cards money could buy you would not be able to run most games at 60 frames at 4k.

When 1080p was launched you did not need that muchnpower to run it as it was within the range of resolutions already being used.

I am not against early adoption of tech, but with regards to 4k tvs theh do not have anything accompanying them to justify it.

If we knew for sure that 4k blu rays would be hitting the shelves en masse this christmas then it would justify buying one now.

Early 4k tvs were limited to 24 or 30 frames and had inferior olour scales, low bit panels, cheap panels.

Buying new tech early is fine if you are willing to pay a premium for a premium product but early 4k tvs were not premium, they were garbage with hdmi 1.4 and all the flaws above.
post #15 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I've owned several plasmas and LCDs over the years and my Sony 55X9005B is easily the best TV I've ever had. You can see how the 'crappy panel' looks in these posts of mine:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post28601034

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post28609969

Yes, there are more changes to 4K to come like the adoption of Rec.2020, HDR and whatnot but my TV kicks a whole lotta ass as it is, and that's with 1080p content, never mind 4K! And the 4K demo vids that I've downloaded look phenomenal, like a moving photograph, and they're encoded with regulation 8-bit 4:2:0 Rec.709 video, so when the enhancements promised by 4K BD become a reality I'll look on jealously but I'll still be getting a damned fine picture.
fatuglyguy likes this.
post #16 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I've owned several plasmas and LCDs over the years and my Sony 55X9005B is easily the best TV I've ever had. You can see how the 'crappy panel' looks in these posts of mine:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post28601034

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post28609969

Yes, there are more changes to 4K to come like the adoption of Rec.2020, HDR and whatnot but my TV kicks a whole lotta ass as it is, and that's with 1080p content, never mind 4K! And the 4K demo vids that I've downloaded look phenomenal, like a moving photograph, and they're encoded with regulation 8-bit 4:2:0 Rec.709 video, so when the enhancements promised by 4K BD become a reality I'll look on jealously but I'll still be getting a damned fine picture.

I thought that 4k when it upscales makes an 1080p picture too smooth and not real like? I'm looking into the Vizio P 60 inch and friend told me it's not worth it and to get a better 1080p screen. He also said 4k won't really evolve till 3-4 years. I'm new to TV's so I'm just learning.
post #17 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post
.... Or fork out $15,000+ for a 77" 4k OLED.
Reminds me of 2002 and buying my first flat panel TV. Back then it was 42" for big $.
post #18 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I have a Pana ZT65 and thinking of getting the sony x9005B.

Bad or good idea?

Sony AF8 65” OLED
Onkyo HT-R390
Dune Solo 4K
SKY Q
Xbox One
post #19 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Heh. My first HD set wasn't even a real HDTV. It was "HD ready", that being a 4:3 Toshiba TN55X81.

My first real 1080 HD sent was a Sony R70XBR2 SXRD that set me back over $5K. Still have it.

Fast forward to today... able to get a 65" or 70" 4K set for considerably less than that... Pshaw. What's not to like?

I don't know how good the 4K upscaling is on the Vizio or Samsung sets, but it's wonderful on my Sony 65X900B.

The 4K content will come. If it doesn't, could I have made do with a 1080P set? Possibly, but in the moment you never know. If you want to be certain, then the alternative is to perpetually be the last on the block to enjoy a superb experience, and I'm just not willing to put off enjoyment for certainty that may never come...

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
Samsung UN75HU8550 + SEK-3500U OCB, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray
Martin Logan LX16 (x5), Klipsch RP-140SA (x4)
Elemental Designs A5-350 15-inch downfiring sub (x2)
Denon AVR-x4200w + Carver M-1.0t driving a 5.2.4 configuration
post #20 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 683
I don't think the OP is asking - or that the debate is about - whether or not your 4k tv has a good picture, whether 4k is discernable over 2k, or whether 4k is inevitable. Those things are all pretty much accepted as true.

The question is whether or not getting a 4k display was worth it as opposed to 2k and do you regret it. Considering there is virtually nothing to watch in 4k and there still won't be for a ways to come, and considering that when 4k content does penetrate even 10% of the market the current crop of 4k displays will have a lot of caveats in displaying it properly (I've still not seen a 4k standard), I don't see how it could be viewed as a wise choice. Just my opinion.

I don't think we will be on solid footing regarding properly displaying a 4k standard until 2016.
post #21 of 26 Old 11-02-2014, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've struggled with this a lot with technology and became enlightened to the answer.....go out out and make as much money as possible! Then you can buy a new tv every year, not care about the technological changes, and live in peace instead of stressing about the "what ifs".
post #22 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
I don't think the OP is asking - or that the debate is about - whether or not your 4k tv has a good picture, whether 4k is discernable over 2k, or whether 4k is inevitable. Those things are all pretty much accepted as true.

The question is whether or not getting a 4k display was worth it as opposed to 2k and do you regret it. Considering there is virtually nothing to watch in 4k and there still won't be for a ways to come, and considering that when 4k content does penetrate even 10% of the market the current crop of 4k displays will have a lot of caveats in displaying it properly (I've still not seen a 4k standard), I don't see how it could be viewed as a wise choice. Just my opinion.

I don't think we will be on solid footing regarding properly displaying a 4k standard until 2016.
People are stressing the point that their 4K TVs look good because of the acerbic posts from certain other members who seem to think that 4K TVs are no better than doorstops. Add in the other posters who don't own a 4K set saying that their mate with a Vizio told them not to bother, and the record needs setting straight there too. But do I regret it? Heck no, especially because I got my Sony 2013 A series swapped over for a 2014 B.

FYI the upscaling is seamless on my Sony set. Does it make 1080p look better? Not really, because that's not the point (unless you count the benefits of the TV's panel in general, like the excellent uniformity, lack of DSE, superb blacks (see pictures), accurate colour etc) but the image still looks staggeringly good. So why get it over a regular 1080p set? In all honesty, I was bowled over by the 3D and by the sound quality, and with the seamless upscaling it meant that the 1080p was no worse than on a 1080p set so I took the plunge. When actual 4K content does arrive, it'll simply be the cherry on top of what is a very, very good television.
post #23 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
But do I regret it? Heck no, especially because I got my Sony 2013 A series swapped over for a 2014 B.
Mind if I ask why you swapped the A series for the B? I have the A and bought the A because the picture quality is apparently better. Was it solely for the 3D and being able to watch 4K videos via USB or anything else?
post #24 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 41
no , no ,and hell no..

I Bought the 8550 75 inch...

3D is great, didnt have that on my previous TV. I didnt think I would care about 3D, but now that I have it, its great.
Watch sports on the 75 4k is great, loving that........
I have watched some 4k stuff and it still doesn't blow me away..

So I'm actually enjoying more of the non-4k features than I did on my previous tv...

and the 4k is just the bonus as more sources become available...
post #25 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:

• Netflix
  • Amazon Prime
  • Sony/Samsung Consoles

All I want to know is where I can get a Samsung console?
post #26 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachpie View Post
Mind if I ask why you swapped the A series for the B? I have the A and bought the A because the picture quality is apparently better. Was it solely for the 3D and being able to watch 4K videos via USB or anything else?
My set was swapped over by Sony because they couldn't get the part in stock fast enough for the HDCP 2.2 board swap for my A series. Crazy I know, but they wanted to do it so I wasn't complaining, I got a new TV after a year. The 2D PQ is better on the B, while the honours are even on the 3D. I miss the lack of crosstalk on the passive A set but I won't miss the heavy aliasing on the half-res panel that the 55" had. The crosstalk is much worse on the active B set but it doesn't have the aliasing of the old one, so I've swapped one set of artefacts for another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page