• 1 Post By KBK

post #1 of 11 Old 01-21-2015, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Element 4K LED 55" ELUFT551

Anyone got one? How does it compare to the Seiki? These are going for $499 Canadian. Possibly less when the clearance sales start in a couple weeks when the store inventory gets liquidated. Only cause for alarm will be getting the thing fixed if something blows as there is no repair center in Canada...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-05-2015, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug O View Post
Anyone got one? How does it compare to the Seiki? These are going for $499 Canadian. Possibly less when the clearance sales start in a couple weeks when the store inventory gets liquidated. Only cause for alarm will be getting the thing fixed if something blows as there is no repair center in Canada...
I got one today, but with sales tax and eco tax added on, it still works out to about $550.
This is a model assembled in US by Element exclusively for Target stores so you will not find much information about it.
Having said that, this TV actually performed surprisingly well. Picture`s resolution and color looks awesome.

This no frill 4K is exactly what I was looking for cause I do not need smart TV nor 3D ( 3D is just a fad...). I shoot 4K video from my Samsung S5 and with Android TV Box, there is almost no end to 4K video source. Chromecast also works well and there are plenty of 4K video in YouTube now...

Audio is just like every other TV, good enough but, by simply plugging your sound system into the optical output as in any other TV, will definitely improve to the limit of your sound system.

I do have several other TV`s made by Element and they are no different than my Sony, LG. Sylvania, Westinghouse, Emerson and Samsung TV. I believe all the screen panels are made by the same manufacturer now a days.

Obviously, there will be people that will disagree with me because our eyes are all different, what you see as blue may not be the same as what I see as blue...LOL
post #3 of 11 Old 02-05-2015, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 28
the seiki thread says that the 55 inch model has some sort of "chroma bug" that makes text look not as clear and edges of things seperated from those things. is this really how it looks like and is it a big deal?

seiki 55" thread post 37
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post24427098

seiki 50" thread post 141
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post24457602

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-28-2015, 07:59 AM
KBK
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I can confirm that the Target store specific element branded 55" 4K TV is actually the Seiki 55" 4K SE55UY04.

The mainboard number for this specific Target/Element/Seiki 55" TV is: 39J2059 1.80.99.00201

At the least, it has the same mainboard and the same power supply and the same T-Con board. This would indicate that it is the same television, with the exact same LCD panel. They are both 54.6" size rated, which indicates an exact match on the pixel pitch, which means the same LCD panel from the same panel manufacturer. Which means there is near 100% probability that the Target/Element 55" 4k TV functions with the Seiki 55"4k TV software, with no issues.

The seiki remote control codes function exactly the same as the Target/Element tv codes. (tried both on a harmony one plus remote)

I'm trying to flash the software up to a Modded EDID so that it can do things like:

4K 3840 2160 33hz
?? 3200 1800 47hz
1440p 2560 1440 72hz
1080p 1920 1080 125hz
720p 1280 720 240Hz

Which is found here: http://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/com...ut_those_dirt/

Realistically, the panel is only fast enough to do 120hz, approx, but that's fine. (numbers quoted in the manual say 6.5ms switching speed, G to G) Odds are that the frame rate capacity of the T-Con board and chipset probably tops out at the 120hz-125hz area. The mainboard chipset may have the bandwidth to do [email protected], but the t-con board cannot write to the panel that fast and the panel is limited itself, in switching speed. I'd warn against trying it as the t-con board might fail, due to thermal stressing, even if one could get it to function at that frame rate. Max out at [email protected] and leave it at that.

The original element installed software seems to have a keying code or handshake lockout, so that only the correct element software with the correct handshake can flash the mainboard's software. I tried the same USB stick that worked on a 39" Seiki that I upgraded to the 50" software, from 2013.... which has the same mainboard as this 55" target/element/Seiki TV. This USB stick and two others, would fail to load or be recognized, so I'm thinking it is a keyed software lockout that is happening here. Other than that, the USB sticks I tried, all function on the Target/Element 55" TV as they normally would. Logic assumes some sort of enforced lockout is in play, in order to give Target stores their 'special model'.

Other than this nasty bit of software enforced limiting, this appears to be the same 4k Seiki 55" monitor/TV.

My quick'n'dirty solution, may be to buy a cheap used Seiki 4k mainboard off of fleabay. Sometimes they go for as little as $20.

I paid $375cdn (plus tax) for mine, as a "last in stock, appearing out of nowhere as a single unit -repack but mint".

It appeared on the shelf at a Target store, the same morning as I walked in. Everyone in the Audio/video section, was walking around, looking for a deal, not realizing what they were walking right by. It had no price on it, but I knew it was going to be at least the last price of $449cdn, or less. It turned out to be less. I jumped onto the box and dragged it over to the cash to do a price check... and sure enough, it was discounted from the heavily discounted $449, down to $375.
Gilles Belanger 2 likes this.

Last edited by KBK; 02-28-2015 at 08:40 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-01-2015, 01:44 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone found a correct calibration for this tv ? I find that the white are blueish and there's like a gray grain across the screen.

Also when the screen is all white, I can see black X in the back. Is it defective ? (Annoying when I watch an hockey game since the ice is pitch white)

See photo :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150301_161722.jpg
Views:	3604
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	576993  
post #6 of 11 Old 04-11-2015, 05:34 AM

Liked: 0
I just started using my new Element 4K 55 Inch LED last night.
I noticed that when watching a hockey game a streak seems to follow the players when they are moving fast. Just like when watching the Flash run on the TV show.
My previous TV was a 40 inch Samsung 720P Plasma.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-25-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBK View Post
I can confirm that the Target store specific element branded 55" 4K TV is actually the Seiki 55" 4K SE55UY04.

The mainboard number for this specific Target/Element/Seiki 55" TV is: 39J2059 1.80.99.00201

At the least, it has the same mainboard and the same power supply and the same T-Con board. This would indicate that it is the same television, with the exact same LCD panel. They are both 54.6" size rated, which indicates an exact match on the pixel pitch, which means the same LCD panel from the same panel manufacturer. Which means there is near 100% probability that the Target/Element 55" 4k TV functions with the Seiki 55"4k TV software, with no issues.

The seiki remote control codes function exactly the same as the Target/Element tv codes. (tried both on a harmony one plus remote)

I'm trying to flash the software up to a Modded EDID so that it can do things like:

4K 3840 2160 33hz
?? 3200 1800 47hz
1440p 2560 1440 72hz
1080p 1920 1080 125hz
720p 1280 720 240Hz

Which is found here: ** See link in original post **

Realistically, the panel is only fast enough to do 120hz, approx, but that's fine. (numbers quoted in the manual say 6.5ms switching speed, G to G) Odds are that the frame rate capacity of the T-Con board and chipset probably tops out at the 120hz-125hz area. The mainboard chipset may have the bandwidth to do [email protected], but the t-con board cannot write to the panel that fast and the panel is limited itself, in switching speed. I'd warn against trying it as the t-con board might fail, due to thermal stressing, even if one could get it to function at that frame rate. Max out at [email protected] and leave it at that.

The original element installed software seems to have a keying code or handshake lockout, so that only the correct element software with the correct handshake can flash the mainboard's software. I tried the same USB stick that worked on a 39" Seiki that I upgraded to the 50" software, from 2013.... which has the same mainboard as this 55" target/element/Seiki TV. This USB stick and two others, would fail to load or be recognized, so I'm thinking it is a keyed software lockout that is happening here. Other than that, the USB sticks I tried, all function on the Target/Element 55" TV as they normally would. Logic assumes some sort of enforced lockout is in play, in order to give Target stores their 'special model'.

Other than this nasty bit of software enforced limiting, this appears to be the same 4k Seiki 55" monitor/TV.

My quick'n'dirty solution, may be to buy a cheap used Seiki 4k mainboard off of fleabay. Sometimes they go for as little as $20.

I paid $375cdn (plus tax) for mine, as a "last in stock, appearing out of nowhere as a single unit -repack but mint".

It appeared on the shelf at a Target store, the same morning as I walked in. Everyone in the Audio/video section, was walking around, looking for a deal, not realizing what they were walking right by. It had no price on it, but I knew it was going to be at least the last price of $449cdn, or less. It turned out to be less. I jumped onto the box and dragged it over to the cash to do a price check... and sure enough, it was discounted from the heavily discounted $449, down to $375.
I have this TV since the beginning of Januray, and I think it's really good for the price I paid. However, one day, all three HDMI ports died for no reason.

I decided to give your suggestion a try, and ordered a 39J2059 1.80.99.00201 board on eBay. I'm glad to tell you it works flawlessly in this TV. I had some difficulty getting a good image, but I think it was either my cable connector or the connector on the new board who was damaged, but I managed to get it right. One of the panel connectors had to be slightly "unplugged" but with the contacts still touching (if I connect it completely it doesn't work).

The M/O on the original Element board was 1.80.99.00410, but a google search returned exactly 0 results for this number.

So yeah, if you want to transform your Element TV into a Seiki TV, this works perfectly. I even noticed slightly better colors with this board (and new firmware), and also improved MEMC as well. Plus, the firmware is flashable now! I didn't try myself as I'm not sure the linked firmware here works for the 55 inch version, but for those willing, report back if you have any results!
post #8 of 11 Old 07-25-2015, 03:39 PM
KBK
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Net1x View Post
Anyone found a correct calibration for this tv ? I find that the white are blueish and there's like a gray grain across the screen.

Also when the screen is all white, I can see black X in the back. Is it defective ? (Annoying when I watch an hockey game since the ice is pitch white)

See photo :

The x pattern comes from a combination of

-the panel support rods
-cheap design on the panel support rods, not optically clear enough.
-LED lighting is not abundant enough, ie not as many LEDS as there should be, in a good design.

What this does, due to the polarization of the panel, the LED's and the clear support pins (which touch the back of the panel element/filter set)..all this creates shadows.

I fixed mine but it took a complete teardown of the entire lightbox, modification of the lightbox, and then re-assembly.

These big 55" panels, the ones in this particular TV are VERY thin and fragile and thus susceptible to damage from trying such things. One piece of dirt or fingerprint, or a hair, and you've got to take it apart again.

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-26-2015, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'd love to see someone do a shootout comparison of the slew of this generation's super cheap 55 inch 4K screens- meaning the 10 or so models selling regularly from $450-$599 and not going by retail price which is generally over $900, making these sets initially look less appealing. Reviews on most seem to report excellent picture quality in 1080 and 4K with very good contrast but most report streaking in things like hockey games while some users report no streaking on some sets using HDMI to a cable box.

Most of these cheap sets now seem reasonable as a long term solution as just about all are shipping with at least 1 HDMI 2.0 port and HDCP 2.2. I got a Polaroid 55 inch set for $450 but it arrived with a broken screen- shipping it back for a replacement but was impressed by how the set looked.

Some of the sets out there besides the seiki ones in this price range are the Polaroids, Quazar, Spectre (the 55 inch lists at $599 but can't be found for sale yet), refurbed Vizios thru Walmart, and a new Sansui.

Any feedback on these cheap sets would be helpful because a lot of people buy these and some are clearly inferior.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesbelanger88 View Post
I just started using my new Element 4K 55 Inch LED last night.
I noticed that when watching a hockey game a streak seems to follow the players when they are moving fast. Just like when watching the Flash run on the TV show.
My previous TV was a 40 inch Samsung 720P Plasma.
there's the problem. you are watching hockey..
post #11 of 11 Old 09-11-2015, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For the enterprising hack if the set is the same as the Seiki 55UY04 it uses a 16 lane v by one panel made by AUO and it and the driver for it are the same ones used in the 55" Sony XBR 4k set. Technically you probably could hack it to use a Sony mainboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page