Vizio 1.60 defective firmware update -- victims post here - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 175Likes

post #751 of 787 Old 06-23-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 2451
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmike View Post
Yes, my 2014 M602i-B3 (week 49 build) updated last night from factory installed 1.34 to 1.60.10-020.0190 and corrupted (as in changed some values) of my saved Picture Modes and Color Tuner settings. Did a factory reset to start over and it seems that this latest firmware gives a more pleasing picture than the previous firmware did...... but then I prefer the more color neutral "computer" color temp vs normal or cool.
Just got FW 1.60.10-020.0190 for my M702i-B3 - ( week 30 build ) this a.m. FINALLY!!! I'm happy to report that there are no ill effects from receiving the update. PQ is still great. I noticed that the default gamma setting was 1.8, but an easy change to 2.2. It's also a global setting for all inputs and picture modes. All my custom picture settings stayed intact with their custom names. Color Tuner and 11 Point White stayed put. Overall a smooth experience, and there are some new settings to fiddle with!

I know I dodged a bullet as the first pass with 1.60 was a disaster. FW 1.34 until today. Nice to see that Vizio went back and fixed it, and then sent out a very nice, clean update.
Number 41 likes this.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 06-23-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 787 Old 06-24-2015, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Just got FW 1.60.10-020.0190 for my M702i-B3 - ( week 30 build ) this a.m. FINALLY!!! I'm happy to report that there are no ill effects from receiving the update. PQ is still great. I noticed that the default gamma setting was 1.8, but an easy change to 2.2. It's also a global setting for all inputs and picture modes. All my custom picture settings stayed intact with their custom names. Color Tuner and 11 Point White stayed put. Overall a smooth experience, and there are some new settings to fiddle with!

I know I dodged a bullet as the first pass with 1.60 was a disaster. FW 1.34 until today. Nice to see that Vizio went back and fixed it, and then sent out a very nice, clean update.
Nice! This is one of those posts I've been waiting to see haha. Still on 1.34 on my M65, but it's a very late build (R00, which I believe means 2015?). Let us know if you have any other observations!
post #753 of 787 Old 06-24-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Interesting, your experience vs mine with saved settings. Mine were custom names but were not locked. After the update, they renamed to Custom1, Custom2, etc., and the color tuner values were changed. I had no 11 Point White Balance setting values so no loss there.

Were your settings locked perhaps?

Mike
Advertisement

post #754 of 787 Old 06-24-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 41 View Post
Nice! This is one of those posts I've been waiting to see haha. Still on 1.34 on my M65, but it's a very late build (R00, which I believe means 2015?). Let us know if you have any other observations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmike View Post
Interesting, your experience vs mine with saved settings. Mine were custom names but were not locked. After the update, they renamed to Custom1, Custom2, etc., and the color tuner values were changed. I had no 11 Point White Balance setting values so no loss there.

Were your settings locked perhaps?
Hey Mike and #41 ,

Yes - as a matter of fact, my picture settings were/are still locked. I'm certain that's why all my settings including the color tuner and and 11 point stayed intact. Where you able to rename the custom pics back to what you wanted?

Another cool thing about this new firmware was the fact that when I create a custom picture mode, it is a global mode for all inputs. I used to have to create a custom mode for each input; i.e. DirecTV, Blu-ray, and AppleTV - royal pain. Now I just create it once and I'm done. Same goes for the color tuner and 11 point.

I'm happy with this update. I think my PQ might be better than with 1.34. Contrast and color seem improved. Flesh tones look better. Of course this feedback is subjective at this point. I was already thrilled with PQ, and Primetimeguy's meter based settings are still the best out there - IMO. Once I get a meter on it, I will be able to confirm any real or imagined improvements.
post #755 of 787 Old 06-24-2015, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Hey Mike and #41 ,

Yes - as a matter of fact, my picture settings were/are still locked. I'm certain that's why all my settings including the color tuner and and 11 point stayed intact. Where you able to rename the custom pics back to what you wanted?

Another cool thing about this new firmware was the fact that when I create a custom picture mode, it is a global mode for all inputs. I used to have to create a custom mode for each input; i.e. DirecTV, Blu-ray, and AppleTV - royal pain. Now I just create it once and I'm done. Same goes for the color tuner and 11 point.

I'm happy with this update. I think my PQ might be better than with 1.34. Contrast and color seem improved. Flesh tones look better. Of course this feedback is subjective at this point. I was already thrilled with PQ, and Primetimeguy's meter based settings are still the best out there - IMO. Once I get a meter on it, I will be able to confirm any real or imagined improvements.
Yes, I could rename the Custom settings after the update but the underlying setting values were corrupt and sooo far off that I just factory reset and started over. Like you, I think the new firmware exhibits better fleshtones and I'm also thrilled to have each new saved custom setting become universally available across all inputs, including the Vizio native Apps.

Mike
post #756 of 787 Old 06-24-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Exclamation It Has Arrived! The New 1.60.10-020.0080 Firmware!

After months of having this 2013 M401i-A3 turned-off and awaiting the newer 1.60 Firmware Update, I finally turned it on after catching up on reading this Thread (from early in June) and there it was... a message about the new Firmware:

1.60.10-020.0080

(From 1.34.44.0080)

I already had Factory Reset AND Power-Cycled it a while back. To clear-out some stuff that a Factory Reset wouldn't do, one MUST Power-Cycle the TV. (This is when I discovered my old 'Sepia' setup was 'stuck' even after a Factory Reset and did not clear-out until I did a Power-Cycle!)

As soon as my brother lends me the WoW Disc, I'll touch it up and box it up for him to reclaim it. (I now have the P50'E(4K)... Amazing Pic! Blows the M40 (1080) far and away - not just resolution-wise!)

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #757 of 787 Old 06-25-2015, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Today, my M652i-b2 FW updated to 1.60.10-022.0681_135.

The previous FW version was: V1.60.10-004.0443_135

This is the first I've seen of an M652i-b2 to get an update which presumably fixes the issues related to active dimming.

After the FW update, the set no longer appears to exhibit issue #2 . I never had issue #1 or at least I am incapable of detecting it if I did/still do have it.

My custom calibrations remained present but I haven't had an opportunity to put the meter on it and see if anything has changed significantly with the CMS.

Vizio M652i-B2....................HCFR 3.3.1
Vizio E600i-B3.....................i1 Display Pro
Sharp LC-70C8470U............ControlCAL Elite X5 Edition v2
Onkyo TX-SR606.................AVSHD-709
PS-3
Homegrown HTPC
post #758 of 787 Old 06-26-2015, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguana Man View Post
Dude, I just called them and the very first CS Rep I talked to said everyone is aware of this problem and how it affected certain model groups. He was fully aware that early on boards were replaced and that they are still dolling out the FW update but in 10K increments so they can verify each 10K group works, then move onto another 10K thus making this a very slow process.

He said all you have to do is call and they'll take of it. You know, for someone who's wife is in CS, I'm dumfounded that you haven't tried calling again instead of sitting here waiting, complaining and not taking the sound advice others offered you months ago.
Oh man, totally! Let me call again! I bet someone will have an idea what I'm talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman006 View Post
Talked to Vizio today. The rep had no idea what I was talking about and wanted me to unplug the set and restart it. wtf? I'll try to call them again later.
Oh, ok then.

Still no fix for my TV. Still broken.
post #759 of 787 Old 06-28-2015, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasuvideo View Post
Can you share your settings? I've lost all mine for my M601
I posted them here, post #10458 https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...hread-349.html
post #760 of 787 Old 07-03-2015, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My M65 from Costco updated.
1.60.10-022.0681_135.
There's no ghosting now, where with golf and baseball, anything that had fast motion ghosted on the prior firmware.
post #761 of 787 Old 07-03-2015, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Has anyone exhibited new issues since receiving the new 1.60 update?

My TV luckily avoided the first 1.60 fiasco. I was sitting on 1.34 and very content with the TV. I received 1.60 last Friday and it's been a total nightmare ever since.

As I detailed in the other 2013 M-Series thread, I now have some sort of digital overlay/soap opera effect/softness effecting everything. Every source, every resolution, every input. I don't know exactly how to describe it other than to suggest it makes everything look like PAL/50hz shows often do when shown on American TV. I've done power cycles, resets, HDMI cable switches, and nothing has taken care of it. I've spoken to Vizio and they want a video of it occurring, which is nearly impossible to capture via a camera lens at full resolition, let alone in 7 seconds in a crappy compressed file format (how they've requested it.) I'm kind of at a loss, and I can't bring myself to watch anything other than reality TV and news on the thing as of right now.
post #762 of 787 Old 07-03-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Do a complete factory reset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeClair12 View Post
Has anyone exhibited new issues since receiving the new 1.60 update?

My TV luckily avoided the first 1.60 fiasco. I was sitting on 1.34 and very content with the TV. I received 1.60 last Friday and it's been a total nightmare ever since.

As I detailed in the other 2013 M-Series thread, I now have some sort of digital overlay/soap opera effect/softness effecting everything. Every source, every resolution, every input. I don't know exactly how to describe it other than to suggest it makes everything look like PAL/50hz shows often do when shown on American TV. I've done power cycles, resets, HDMI cable switches, and nothing has taken care of it. I've spoken to Vizio and they want a video of it occurring, which is nearly impossible to capture via a camera lens at full resolition, let alone in 7 seconds in a crappy compressed file format (how they've requested it.) I'm kind of at a loss, and I can't bring myself to watch anything other than reality TV and news on the thing as of right now.
post #763 of 787 Old 07-03-2015, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Do a complete factory reset.
Sorry, I thought I mentioned it, but perhaps I didn't. At this point, I've done about 5 factory resets/power cycles - unless I'm doing it wrong. For a reset, I go into the system menu, restore to factory settings (or something along those lines), and for power cycling, I unplug from the wall, hold the power button on the TV for 30 seconds, and plug in again.
post #764 of 787 Old 07-04-2015, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
my M551d-A2 for some reason lost all the settings today. looks like it went back to factory. Does anyone have the picture settings?
post #765 of 787 Old 07-06-2015, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My M701d-a3 set has 1.60.10-020.0090 firmware. All my calibration settings (ursa I think) are gone, and trying to input the same looks terrible. Menu systems look different also? Can anyone help me?
Thanks
post #766 of 787 Old 07-07-2015, 04:52 AM

Liked: 12
My M652 (2014) had been on the 1.34 firmware for several months since Vizio sent someone out to replace the board after the first 1.60 firmware screwed up the local dimming.

I got the new 1.60 firmware last night. I won't have time to test it out today, but all my settings are still there and it looks ok so far. I only had to change the gamma preset, which defaulted to 1.8.
post #767 of 787 Old 07-07-2015, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
This thread is for people whose previously perfectly-working Vizio TVs have been degraded by their forced 1.60 firmware update. It is intended to collect input only from people who have been affected, in order to raise awareness and get Vizio to officially acknowledge the problem. A handful of people have gotten responses from their support team indicating they know of a problem, but some CSRs still deny any knowledge and their Twitter support account is ignoring people.

If you post in this thread, state your TV model number, exact firmware version, and confirm if you're seeing the issues on the Known Issues list (below), and if you have any other issues that aren't on the list which others might be able to verify. Specifically, this seems to affect firmware version 1.60.10-004.0090 from what we know so far.

Update 2015-02-02: Vizio replied to my post on Facebook (which linked to this thread) and said: "Matthew-We are working on an update coming soon to address this issue. -Lexie"

================

Background (as I know it, please feel free to add/correct and I'll edit):
In late 2014, Vizio began pushing out a firmware update to 2014 M-series TVs, which are full-array LED sets with local dimming, and 2013 M-series TVs, which are edge-lit with local dimming.

After this update, people began noticing issues with LED dimming performance. Because Vizio silently pushes out firmware updates, many customers got this update without knowing about it. By the time the issues were known within the community, it was too late for many users (like myself) -- they had already received the 1.6 update and were stuck with it.

A number of users have contacted Vizio support, and were varyingly told things to the effect of (1) there's no problem, you're imagining it; (2) there's a problem with your specific TV, we can replace it if you want; (3) there might be a problem with our firmware but we're not going to actually admit to that, and there's no timeline for new firmware.

================

Known issues
Please comment if this list is incomplete and I'll try to keep it up to date -- we will only add to this list if someone else with 1.6 can replicate your issue

1. Sluggish dimming - While this is hard to quantify, many people have reported that the action of the LEDs dimming is way more noticeable after the update. Additionally, when going from dark to light scene, it seems to initially overcompensate and "blow out" the whites/bright colors before settling down to where it should be.

2. Active LED zones setting is ignored - If a picture profile has Active LED zones set to "off", this setting is ignored when the TV is first turned on (the zones dim anyway). The only way to fix this is to go into the Picture settings and cycle the setting to "on" and then back to "off" again, every time the TV is turned on.
Curiosity: "Vizio" in Italian means also "bug" or "defect". So no suprise it has defects!
post #768 of 787 Old 07-07-2015, 08:27 AM

Liked: 3
My M652i-B2 updated a few days ago from 1.34 to 1.60.10-022.0681_135. Looks great so far - no Active LED Zone toggle bug (my M55 had the 1.60 firmware with that issue, was incredibly annoying) and coming directly from 1.34, local dimming seems to perform a little better and react a bit faster. It also doesn't seem to cause faint banding or flattening of gradients like it did before. I reset to factory defaults (didn't have to as nothing seemed corrupt or messed up, but wanted to just in case) and put smeg36's last calibration settings in. Everything looks great and it's nice to be able to set all inputs to the same saved profile again.
post #769 of 787 Old 07-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Argh! I finally got the update on my M552-B1 and it wiped out my settings (I preferred the rtings.com settings with minor tweaks), leaving some outdated Custom ones behind and the new menu has extra settings (bold):

Color Temperature
Black Detail
Active LED Zones
Smooth Motion Effect
Clear Action (formerly Motion Blur Reduction)
Reduce Signal Noise
Reduce Block Noise
Game Low Latency
Picture Size & Position
Film Mode
Gamma

My Color Tuner settings were blown to hell, too. Trying to recreate the rtings set here, but could use some advice. I play games, so latency should be as low as possible. Is using Game Mode to start still the way or can you use this new Game Low Latency thing? Thanks.

EDIT: I went with the rtings settings as before, with Gamma at 2.2, Game Low Latency on and for grins, turned on the Active LED Zones and the last seems to be working much better than before. I'm not noticing the slow fade/bloom effect that made me dump it in the first place. I'll watch more stuff to be sure.

That I don't need to re-enter the settings for every input is so wonderful. Why didn't they do that in the first place?

PimpVision® Quantum: Vizio PQ65-F1 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Def Tech ProCinema 600 + ProCenter 1000 + Monoprice Caliber #4104 (Atmos) + Monolith 10" THX Select (5.1.4) | Nvidia SHIELD (2015) | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X800 | XBOX Project Scorpio | Xbox 360 | PS4 Pro | PS3 | Toshiba HD-A30 | Chromecast Ultra | Harmony 650 | Monoprice 8-Port gigabit switch
My DVD Profiler List | DirkFlix: My Movie Viewing Diary and Reviews

Last edited by DirkBelig; 07-12-2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: update
post #770 of 787 Old 07-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 92
FINALLY got the new 1.6 on my old-1.6-bitten M55-b2. A little early to report, but looking good so far. Will play some this weekend
post #771 of 787 Old 07-08-2015, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received the update on my M492I-B2 this weekend.
post #772 of 787 Old 07-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by camdecoster View Post
I received the update on my M492I-B2 this weekend.
As did I. I haven't checked it out myself, but my wife texted me saying the SOE came back on after the update. I'll have to check it out in detail tomorrow.
post #773 of 787 Old 07-08-2015, 07:38 PM

Liked: 12
I've had a chance to do some careful watching with the new 1.60 firmware that I got two days ago. I previously had the 1.34 firmware on my M652, and I can see no difference in the picture. All my custom settings were preserved, including the color and 11-point grayscale. The only adjustment I made was to the gamma which wasn't an available setting with the 1.34 firmware.

The most important observation is no issues with the active dimming. Everything looks good so far.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #774 of 787 Old 07-09-2015, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had the "bad" f/w version 1.60, and got my board replaced.. Im still holding at 1.34, a bit nervous letting it update.....
post #775 of 787 Old 07-09-2015, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Finally!!!

On Tuesday(Same day my second child was born, woo!) I received the updated for my M55-B2. I have confirmed all the issues have gone away. Good one Vizio, almost hit that one year mark!
sonoftumble likes this.
post #776 of 787 Old 07-11-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stpw View Post
Finally!!!

On Tuesday(Same day my second child was born, woo!) I received the updated for my M55-B2. I have confirmed all the issues have gone away. Good one Vizio, almost hit that one year mark!
You had to wait for what seemed to be an eternity. Glad to see that you will be able to enjoy you TV again! Obviously Vizio should have done a better job with how they handled this fiasco. It's a catch 22. The PQ of my M702 is outstanding, so I suppose the trade-off is spending twice the $'s for a Sony - to get a comparable picture with the hope of better CS and responsiveness from them. But then I visit that thread in this forum, and I come away with the impression that Sony is just as flawed, and those folks are also suffering from wonky FW.

I'll stick with Vizio for the time being - imperfections and all.
THX1720 likes this.
post #777 of 787 Old 07-15-2015, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorgis View Post
I had the "bad" f/w version 1.60, and got my board replaced.. Im still holding at 1.34, a bit nervous letting it update.....
Well i decided last night to get my 702i back on the network. My thinking was, if the f/w was going to cause issues, i want that to happen while the unit was still under warranty..

So almost instantly i went from 1.34.36 to 1.34.44, then an hour later to 1.60.10.20

And i haven't noticed any issues.. picture is good..

John
post #778 of 787 Old 07-15-2015, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorgis View Post

Well i decided last night to get my 702i back on the network... an hour later to 1.60.10.20

The 2013 M40's new Contrast setting is now 80 with the newest 1.60.xx firmware. Is yours similar? Do you have any Brightness/Contrast calibration patterns to check it with?

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #779 of 787 Old 07-16-2015, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderc View Post
My M652 (2014) had been on the 1.34 firmware for several months since Vizio sent someone out to replace the board after the first 1.60 firmware screwed up the local dimming.

I got the new 1.60 firmware last night. I won't have time to test it out today, but all my settings are still there and it looks ok so far. I only had to change the gamma preset, which defaulted to 1.8.
When my M652 updated from 1.34 to the defective 1.60 the picture was different. I don't recall that I could see with naked eye, but the meter told the story. I ended up having to bring down contrast due to red clipping. I ended up repeating the entire calibration. It didn't cal up as easily as before, but I'm still able to get good dE levels on a color check sweep and am happy with PQ. It's possible Vizio found a way for settings to migrate transparently for this version, but with the added gamma function, I am doubtful.

Vizio M652i-B2....................HCFR 3.3.1
Vizio E600i-B3.....................i1 Display Pro
Sharp LC-70C8470U............ControlCAL Elite X5 Edition v2
Onkyo TX-SR606.................AVSHD-709
PS-3
Homegrown HTPC
post #780 of 787 Old 07-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I'm pretty happy with this set after the 1.60 firmware update. Got the SOE turned off again and the picture is solid. The only negative I have now (and I've had it since the beginning) is my M492i-B2 has to have the WORST wi-fi connection capability in the history of smart tvs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page