Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11319Likes

post #3361 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Yeto-

You asked about the Clear/Gloss Panel vs. Matte or Semi Matte.

Other than Plasma's, Samsung introduced the Ultra Clear type several years ago. In a store environment it works really well to pop contrast, and in many cases the TVs are not arranged in a way to reflect lights, or they are sometimes angled down to the viewer when wall mounted. The net effect is to wow the consumer. In real world environment, you are correct that gloss avoids washout of blacks. The paradox is that in many real world applications the reflections in a bright room can be bothersome.

Prior to Ultra Clear.. most if not all LCD panels were what I will refer to full matte. They did a nice job of taming reflections, but also had a downside of washing out blacks when hit with direct light. In a totally dark room, it's hard to see much difference, but I will concede that the clear panel has a slight advantage in that there is no diffusion of the image.

About 4 years ago (IIRC) Sharp, AUO , Chi MEi/Innolux and perhaps a few others started to offer a semi matte option. The primary reason was to appear closer to the Ulta Clear in the retail store environment, and still maintain less reflections in a home environment.
(Think about it... why do TVs default to Store or Demo Mode out of the box?... Torch mode sells! That's why)

Again, both types have their advantages, and both types will be acceptable in many homes. I happen to like the compromise of the semi matte.

If you have a Panasonic ST, GT or VT, they used an anti reflective coating to achieve a similar result. The Samsung also had an A/R film on the panel, but it's not quite as pronounced as the Panasonic Plasmas. The semi-matte is more anti-reflective than either of those. Bottom line, either type can work fine at home. Which is better will depend on the actual home lighting environment.

IMHO, it's difficult to judge how these will work in your home by seeing them in a retail environment. A retail store generally has dramatically higher light levels than a home. You may be seeing this washout in your store due to the lighting conditions.
mpgxsvcd and Ian N like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy60467 View Post
Yeto-

You asked about the Clear/Gloss Panel vs. Matte or Semi Matte.

Other than Plasma's, Samsung introduced the Ultra Clear type....
I agree. Again, thank you for taking time to write such a lengthy post. I appreciate you sharing your experience and knowledge.
post #3363 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3935 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
I have played with the new M series and it is pretty good the 65 inch model IMO does not look as good as the 55 inch I dunno why but I find the 55 inch more pleasing to the eye and colour are definitely better . Perhaps it is a IPS panel if so it does not suffer from poor blacks i guess due to full array. They fixed the colour smearing that was on the p series (somewhat but still is present slightly also rtings confirms this too) which I did not like @ all I find the m series I know it's lower but it is an improvement over last years models.

Now the colour are quite accurate this year definitely a step up from last year however they have less colours than the competition. They carry less rec2020 color space , M series has 49% rec2020 compared to the ju7100 which has 55.5 %. So for cnet to say it compares to js8500 colour that has quantum dots HDR support and a even higher coverage of rec 2020 @ 68.5% is disingenuous just downright false.

The M series does look good and fald will give u great dark room performance actually Vizio does full array quite good but it is not the best tv out there. M series beats the mid level tv's in black performance and bang for buck thats it . So with that said you will get good performance outta M series just don't listen to the cnet review and think you will get same performance as Js8500 or other top end sets simply not true but for the price it is a great tv.

Rec2020 coverage is important as this is where the industry is going with HDR and regular 4k content so not being able to reproduce as much as the competition must be noted. We are going to a new colour gamut of rec 2020 so going forward the old rec709 standard is going the way of the dinosaurs. Rec 709 the tv will perform well but when 4k blu rays come out you will see the deficiency of this sets colours . Knowing this one can't honesty say the colour is better or on par with the competition sorry just stating the facts and the number don't lie.

M series rec 2020

JU7100 rec 2020

JS8500 rec 2020

Now hope you guys can see from the charts that Cnet is wrong to say M series has same or better colour than competition I feel more $$$$$$ has to do with review cause the number don't reflect catz view on vizios tv..
denpom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3364 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6526 Post(s)
Liked: 6242
You do realize that all of that is moot until there is customer related content a available right. For blu-Ray and cable and OTA and most all streaming it's locked to rec709 which is what most reviewers are basing reports on.

Sent from nowhere
videoguy60467 and mboojigga like this.
post #3365 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
Knowing this one can't honesty say the colour is better or on par with the competition sorry just stating the facts and the number don't lie.
I can’t disagree with anything you said. It was a very valid post with plenty of supporting evidence. It is definitely something to consider when buying a TV.
player002 likes this.
post #3366 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You do realize that all of that is moot until there is customer related content a available right. For blu-Ray and cable and OTA and most all streaming it's locked to rec709 which is what most reviewers are basing reports on.

Sent from nowhere
Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you. However, I researched and tested it some more and there is a lot more content that doesn’t conform to REC.709 than I thought there was.

All of the Blu-rays that advertise “Deep Color support” extend their colors out past the REC.709 spec. Now there aren’t that many of those available at the moment but every single UHD Blu-ray that is produced will have the option to extend those colors past REC.709.

In addition some reality TV series have deliberately pushed their colors past REC.709 in order to enhance the perceived look of their programs. I am house flip junky and those shows often do not conform to REC.709 to make the houses appear to be more vibrant. Instead the colors just get clipped on my Vizio M-series TVs so I have had to create a separate color profile just for those shows. This profile compresses the added colorspace that these shows use back into the REC.709 spectrum. It works but it is a bit of a pain.

This is the one area where I now see that the Samsung JS850 I had excelled. I knew it offered more colors back when I had it. However, I didn’t realize how many current programs were actually utilizing those extra colors until recently.
player002 likes this.
post #3367 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Sent from nowhere
Ummm there is already stuff available on MGO,Amazon and netflix in a few months we get 4k blurays all the 4k stuff is using rec 2020 so don't agree with ur statements.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #3368 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you. However, I researched and tested it some more and there is a lot more content that doesn’t conform to REC.709 than I thought there was.

All of the Blu-rays that advertise “Deep Color support” extend their colors out past the REC.709 spec. Now there aren’t that many of those available at the moment but every single UHD Blu-ray that is produced will have the option to extend those colors past REC.709.

In addition some reality TV series have deliberately pushed their colors past REC.709 in order to enhance the perceived look of their programs. I am house flip junky and those shows often do not conform to REC.709 to make the houses appear to be more vibrant. Instead the colors just get clipped on my Vizio M-series TVs so I have had to create a separate color profile just for those shows. This profile compresses the added colorspace that these shows use back into the REC.709 spectrum. It works but it is a bit of a pain.

This is the one area where I now see that the Samsung JS850 I had excelled. I knew it offered more colors back when I had it. However, I didn’t realize how many current programs were actually utilizing those extra colors until recently.
Yup you get it . Don't get me wrong for the price the M series is a fantastic tv though and they have improved it quite a bit from last year. I really think when the R series gets announced in a few weeks with WCG support and dolby vision HDR that it has the potential to be groundbreaking and special. The M is good value and great dark room performance especially for price not trying to be a downer just what users and potential buyer to have accurate info and not the crap Cnet is trying to push.
post #3369 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New AVS user here; I just picked up a Vizio M55-C2 yesterday. After plugging it in and messing with some settings, I have to admit, I'm pretty disappointed.

So I've been scouring the internet for help, which lead me to this thread.

Basically, I'm just getting a kind of grainy picture. Everything is being broadcast in 1080p but the picture looks much lower quality than that.

I'm using the HDMI cord that the cable guy brought, plugged into HDMI-1. I know HDMI cables are kind of a joke, and no, I'm not buying some diamond plated $50 cord, but something better than what the cable guy brought might improve the picture? What about the 4k cords? I'm seeing differing views - some people saying it makes no difference, others saying it does.

Any advice? I don't feel like reading through 113 pages of this thread to find the answers - how can I improve my image quality? Any calibration recommendations? Any idea why my picture quality looks so poor? My 720p LCD TV had a better HD image than this one...
post #3370 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Ummm there is already stuff available on MGO,Amazon and netflix in a few months we get 4k blurays all the 4k stuff is using rec 2020 so don't agree with ur statements.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I know there is limited content available and there will be content available in the future. That however serves as a disservice to readers to say that it doesn't match what most readily available content is mastered at.

MGO as it stands is a Samsung exclusive, so u less by some miracle it appears on other TVs it's limited scope is not one I would use.

What reviewers MAY want to do is add a section of "future compatibility". This would allow the reader to get needed information about the future viability of their TV. Of course then you have to get past the confusion of people thinking their TV won't work or display future content. It's a double edged sword and I have no problem with what reviewers are doing.

Sent from nowhere
post #3371 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteSenses View Post
New AVS user here; I just picked up a Vizio M55-C2 yesterday. After plugging it in and messing with some settings, I have to admit, I'm pretty disappointed.

Basically, I'm just getting a kind of grainy picture. Everything is being broadcast in 1080p but the picture looks much lower quality than that.

I'm using the HDMI cord that the cable guy brought, plugged into HDMI-1. I know HDMI cables are kind of a joke, and no, I'm not buying some diamond plated $50 cord, but something better than what the cable guy brought might improve the picture? What about the 4k cords? I'm seeing differing views - some people saying it makes no difference, others saying it does.

Any advice? I don't feel like reading through 113 pages of this thread to find the answers - how can I improve my image quality? Any calibration recommendations? Any idea why my picture quality looks so poor? My 720p LCD TV had a better HD image than this one...

What size did you come from? What are you watching in 1080p? Currently only on demand (as far as I know) offers 1080p. What channels are you watching? Have you tested a Blu-Ray? Cable is notoriously a bad benchmark due to inconsistent nature of the source and delivery. What shows are you watching? What settings are you using? What have you done for troubleshooting?

Help us help you

Sent from nowhere
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #3372 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Welcome to the forum. In order to help, we probably need more info. What is your image source? Cable? What type of set top box? Is the STB set to HD (at least 1080i or 1080p output)

The HDMI cable is not your issue unless the picture is actually breaking up.

Start by switching your settings to "calibrated"
If you like a cooler color balance, change the color temp to computer for a starting point.
Brightness and Contrast at 50. Color 50-60 or so depending on your source and your taste.
Auto Brt OFF
Backlight - depends on your room. If it's bright/daytime start around 75
Sharpness 20
Black Detail LOW
Active LED Zones ON
Judder 2
Motion Blur 6
Clear action OFF
Reduce Noise - Signal noise LOW Block Noise MED
Game Low Latency OFF
Film Mode Auto
Color Space YCbCr
Gamma - 2.4 or 2.2

Use these are a starting point.

Now how big was the old set, How big is the new set? How far back are you?
If you have gone way up in size, it's normal to see defects in the source material.

Try these and post back any answers.

Also - Your set will most likely upgrade firmware within a few days New version says UHD. (System Menu) The upgrade improves performance. Stay connected with the set off at night, it happens automatically.
boostm3 likes this.
post #3373 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Grainy picture ??? Like a previous member said - - make sure you are on the latest firmware.

Also - - I like a very sharp picture so I do not use the "Calibrated" setting. I like "pop" in the picture. I'm sure it's not reference quality but I enjoy it.

I'm using "Standard" with "Black Detail Low," Gamma at 2.2, Sharp at 43 & Contrast at 40. My Comcast signal is 1080P with my M43C1.

You should not be getting a "grainy" picture at all unless it's bad source material. Best of luck to you.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #3374 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I know there is limited content available and there will be content available in the future. That however serves as a disservice to readers to say that it doesn't match what most readily available content is mastered at.

MGO as it stands is a Samsung exclusive, so u less by some miracle it appears on other TVs it's limited scope is not one I would use.

What reviewers MAY want to do is add a section of "future compatibility". This would allow the reader to get needed information about the future viability of their TV. Of course then you have to get past the confusion of people thinking their TV won't work or display future content. It's a double edged sword and I have no problem with what reviewers are doing.

Sent from nowhere
If other mid tier sets do rec 2020 better u better believe that those tv will have more accurate coverage of rec 709 too. Also u can use the WCG to stretch rec 709 too. Sorry fact is the colour is good but not the best in this tv's range the other mid level lcd's will beat it albeit @ a higher price though.

come October -DEC there will be so much wcg rec 2020 stuff netflix is launching hdr 4k stuff,Ultraflix 4k rec 2020, all fox future movies will be released in 4k with hdr this is all in a few months so future is practically now . When the fall hits and you can't take advantage don't say u were not told ..
post #3375 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy60467 View Post
Welcome to the forum. In order to help, we probably need more info. What is your image source? Cable? What type of set top box? Is the STB set to HD (at least 1080i or 1080p output)

The HDMI cable is not your issue unless the picture is actually breaking up.

Start by switching your settings to "calibrated"
If you like a cooler color balance, change the color temp to computer for a starting point.
Brightness and Contrast at 50. Color 50-60 or so depending on your source and your taste.
Auto Brt OFF
Backlight - depends on your room. If it's bright/daytime start around 75
Sharpness 20
Black Detail LOW
Active LED Zones ON
Judder 2
Motion Blur 6
Clear action OFF
Reduce Noise - Signal noise LOW Block Noise MED
Game Low Latency OFF
Film Mode Auto
Color Space YCbCr
Gamma - 2.4 or 2.2

Use these are a starting point.

Now how big was the old set, How big is the new set? How far back are you?
If you have gone way up in size, it's normal to see defects in the source material.

Try these and post back any answers.

Also - Your set will most likely upgrade firmware within a few days New version says UHD. (System Menu) The upgrade improves performance. Stay connected with the set off at night, it happens automatically.
Yep, glad to give more details - wasn't sure what to give originally!

My old TV was an LG 32" LCD 720p TV. I had an old box set in our living room and I used the LG in our bedroom. We recently moved into a much bigger place and needed an upgrade.

So now I went with this TV after doing a ton of research. I sit ~8 feet away. Size is 55".

I have Charter cable and it's just through a cable box (think it has DVR too, if that makes a difference) and it's definitely set to "1080p" on the box.

I've already changed my settings to "Callibrated" and also have adjusted color settings based on two different guides I found for this TV, but neither seemed to helped a whole lot.

I'm not concerned with the color, I'm mostly concerned with the picture not looking "clear" enough, if that makes sense. I feel like I'm watching 720p on a 4k TV.

I'm 25 so I know a ton of tech stuff, it's just I don't mess with TVs enough to know all of this.

From what I read, the closer you are to the TV, the more detail you can see? If I stand close and look at the screen EVERYTHING is grainy. It looks terrible.
post #3376 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Grainy picture ??? Like a previous member said - - make sure you are on the latest firmware.

Also - - I like a very sharp picture so I do not use the "Calibrated" setting. I like "pop" in the picture. I'm sure it's not reference quality but I enjoy it.

I'm using "Standard" with "Black Detail Low," Gamma at 2.2, Sharp at 43 & Contrast at 40. My Comcast signal is 1080P with my M43C1.

You should not be getting a "grainy" picture at all unless it's bad source material. Best of luck to you.
When going through the settings last night, the only thing I didn't see was software update. Where do I find this on this TV/how do I check for a software update?
post #3377 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 12:41 PM

Nevermind on the update stuff, I missed the end of that one post explaining it.

I will check when I get home to see if it updated overnight.
post #3378 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:

Should be Menu>System>System Information - Then under "TV Information" there should be "Version." I show 1.2.23 UHD.
mpgxsvcd likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #3379 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
If other mid tier sets do rec 2020 better u better believe that those tv will have more accurate coverage of rec 709 too. Also u can use the WCG to stretch rec 709 too. Sorry fact is the colour is good but not the best in this tv's range the other mid level lcd's will beat it albeit @ a higher price though.

come October -DEC there will be so much wcg rec 2020 stuff netflix is launching hdr 4k stuff,Ultraflix 4k rec 2020, all fox future movies will be released in 4k with hdr this is all in a few months so future is practically now . When the fall hits and you can't take advantage don't say u were not told ..

That's the thing the next best thing is always just around the corner. For the purpose and for when the M series was released it will suit most buyers just fine. I could understand if the M series was a late year release, but really it gets trickle down from P series. So I would expect next years M to have the WCG/HDR.

I'm patient for content to say there will be "so much" is an unknown factor. We here all know that we will start to see major rollouts of this content, but we don't know the amount until they do it.

As I said it's not a bad thing that someone bought the M series, they won't be able to take advantage of everything, but then again most people who bought midrange at the same price point as the M series won't either. Some may use the M series as a stepping stone. To get the 4k and wait for the HDR etc to be more stable. Right now we have competing HDR formats and lack of either one could mean trouble for you.

At this point REC2020 coverage is measuring stick. No tv released for public has full coverage, so saying mine covers more than yours is a little pointless (IMO). I think sometimes we get jaded in the forums and think everyone is aware of cares (or should care). Most consumers don't even know what REC709 is much less REC2020.

As I said before, I agree that they may want to add a paragraph for future tech, but as of when the reviews are published, they speak on what it can currently do, not what it possibly could do if xyz happen.

Sent from nowhere
post #3380 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Yep, glad to give more details - wasn't sure what to give originally!

My old TV was an LG 32" LCD 720p TV. I had an old box set in our living room and I used the LG in our bedroom. We recently moved into a much bigger place and needed an upgrade.

So now I went with this TV after doing a ton of research. I sit ~8 feet away. Size is 55".

I have Charter cable and it's just through a cable box (think it has DVR too, if that makes a difference) and it's definitely set to "1080p" on the box.

I've already changed my settings to "Callibrated" and also have adjusted color settings based on two different guides I found for this TV, but neither seemed to helped a whole lot.

I'm not concerned with the color, I'm mostly concerned with the picture not looking "clear" enough, if that makes sense. I feel like I'm watching 720p on a 4k TV.

I'm 25 so I know a ton of tech stuff, it's just I don't mess with TVs enough to know all of this.

From what I read, the closer you are to the TV, the more detail you can see? If I stand close and look at the screen EVERYTHING is grainy. It looks terrible.

TVs can't perform magic tricks 1080p means your cable box is upscaling the signal to 1080p. Most all stations now broadcast in 720p or 1080i. Remember the mantra crap in crap out. You may just be noticing how poor the cable signal is. Making large jumps in size it's one of the 1st things people notice.

I would recommend watching a Blu-Ray as that is a "steady" HQ source that will help you determine the cause of the graininess. You'll also want to remember sometimes it's supposed to be grainy

Sent from nowhere
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #3381 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Try playing this on the youtube app, or stream it from your laptop.. It wont display in 4k, but its a spiffy looking video and no way should it be grainy.

videoguy60467 and mboojigga like this.
post #3382 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Ok I'm going to ask it can some one with the knowledge of the workings of these tv's, please try sell and me on why I would I get the 65js9500 that lists at 6 grand verses the m65 that lists at 1699.

Living Room Sam. UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 / M-5010 Amp. /Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player.
DEN TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.2.4 / Philips 4K UHD Dolby Vision Player (P7502) BEDROOM Sam. 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #3383 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 02:58 PM

Question about the Judder and Motion Blur settings relative to 1080i Cable input.

The 'Reduce Judder' setting states that it deals with judder in 30 hz video, and the 'Motion Blur' setting states that it deals with motion blur in 60 hz video.

When watching football, soccer, or tennis, motion is a factor.. I find when I push the 'Reduce Motion Blur' to 10, it does a good job in making this active motion content much easier to view comfortably without stutter and lack of clarity. I havent figured out yet whether the Judder setting makes any improvement to this type of content beyond what the Motion setting gets me. BTW, Im not a fan of the Clear Action setting, so I leave it off.. Besides, I find it makes no improvements over what the Motion settings gets me.

So, is my cable content 60 hz or 30 hz? Im assuming because the Motion Blur setting seems to work well its 60 hz, but Id like some confirmation. We all know our eyes can occasionally deceive us!

Thank you.
post #3384 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Try playing this on the youtube app, or stream it from your laptop.. It wont display in 4k, but its a spiffy looking video and no way should it be grainy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNJdPyoqt8U
Yep first time I played this through the app I thought I was looking at 4k and it is that good.

The 5.0 is here
post #3385 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
Yep first time I played this through the app I thought I was looking at 4k and it is that good.
Yep.. Me too... Until I was informed that Chromecast isnt yet capable of streaming 4k ! Sure looked good.
post #3386 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 05:45 PM

I think it's partially my cable to be honest. I watched some Netflix this evening and everything looked amazing.

Flip back to cable and it looks decent, but I swear I've seen better pictures on older TVs. I'm still pretty happy with it and will continue to tweak things. Anyway, seeing great quality via Netflix at least made me feel better about the purchase knowing that it isn't the TV itself.
post #3387 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think it's partially my cable to be honest. I watched some Netflix this evening and everything looked amazing.

Flip back to cable and it looks decent, but I swear I've seen better pictures on older TVs. I'm still pretty happy with it and will continue to tweak things. Anyway, seeing great quality via Netflix at least made me feel better about the purchase knowing that it isn't the TV itself.
Since the cable seems to be the culprit, a couple of things to check.
It your cable HD/Digital cable? In some markets you may just be getting analog basic which will not look good.
Are you tuned to the HD version of the channel.. For example... ABC in channel 7 in Chicago. On my old box you could tune to CH7, and it looked awful... Tune to CH 187 on Comcast, and wow! HD in all it's glory! Make sure that you are tuned to the proper channel. (Some cable systems allow you to set a preference to always tune to an HD version if one exists. X1 has this for example)

If you are in a market with decent over the air, try hooking up a set of rabbit ears and scanning for you local channels. YMMV, but if you can lock in the OTA stations, that will typically be the best quality. Cable can look as good, but in some markets it's over compressed.

Since Netflix looks good, you should also do well with Blu-ray and other quality sources.
post #3388 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
What was the source of that video? I would definitely say that looks like a defect but I can’t be sure without examining that same source on another TV.
Xbox One connected to HDMI 5. I replaced my HDMI cable and haven't seen it since. I'll keep my eyes open though.
post #3389 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
Ok I'm going to ask it can some one with the knowledge of the workings of these tv's, please try sell and me on why I would I get the 65js9500 that lists at 6 grand verses the m65 that lists at 1699.
Intersted in this response as well.
post #3390 of 16411 Old 08-25-2015, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
I just checked Best Buy's website and the 65js9500 is at $4500. If you have an electronics store in your area that stocks both TVs go view them for yourself. If you don't see a $3000 difference in picture quality and features buy the M and save yourself some money. The only person I know who can determine value for you, is yourself.

I know you didn't ask this but, since you mentioned Samsung, two other TVs you might want to take a look at while you are there would be the Samsung 65ju6500 and if you don't have to have 4k the Samsung 65j6300. If you are sitting at a distance where you cannot tell the difference between 1080p and 2160p resolution the j6300 is pretty impressive in my opinion and it scores high in a lot of reviews. It handles "todays" programming very nicely.

Anyway, good luck with your decision and I hope you find a TV that you enjoy for many years to come.
venus933 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page