Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread - Page 115 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11319Likes

post #3421 of 16411 Old 08-26-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
So - any of the HDMI Inputs can be hooked up to the Nvidia Shield with 4K streaming since nothing is higher than 30 FPS native? The only reason I ask is the comment by David Katzmaier in his Vizio M review dated July 20th, 2015:

"Only one HDMI input, Input 5, is compatible with both newfangled HDMI connection protocols, namely HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 copy protection. The former allows 4K frame rates up to 60Hz, the fastest currently available. The latter allows the TV to accept copy-protected 4K content over HDMI, from devices like the Sony FMP-X10 media player, the Nvidia Shield playing back certain copy-protected content such as Netflix 4K, and forthcoming 4K Blu-Ray content. 2015 4K TVs from Samsung, Sony and LG offer multiple so-equipped inputs. The other four are version 1.4, meaning they can handle 1080p sources up to 60Hz and 4K sources up to 30Hz. Of those four, only two support HDCP 2.2."
It is possible that the Nvidia shield can output a 4K @ 60 FPS signal. However, the content will not have been recorded that way. If it only outputs 4K @ 60 FPS then yes you will need to use HDMI Input 5. However, the ideal scenario is that it outputs the video at its native resolution and frame rate. If that is the case then at the moment it should only output at 24, 25, or 30 FPS. That could change in the future but it is the case at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 16411 Old 08-26-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Only the P-series had issues of blooming. The M-series did not have any blooming issues with its local dimming even right from the start.
Thanks. But I thought that in the early days of the M the led lighting shut down completely in the presence of a predominantly black image and that later, during firmware evolution, it was modified as noted in the S&V review. As I recall, some forum members had mentioned this change and I just wonder what was the reason for this change in led behavior.
post #3423 of 16411 Old 08-26-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post
Thanks. But I thought that in the early days of the M the led lighting shut down completely in the presence of a predominantly black image and that later, during firmware evolution, it was modified as noted in the S&V review. As I recall, some forum members had mentioned this change and I just wonder what was the reason for this change in led behavior.
I saw no difference in the Local dimming for the M-series from the initial firmware to the current firmware. The P-series is strikingly different after the update but still has some minor flaws in certain scenarios.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3424 of 16411 Old 08-26-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
I have played with the new M series and it is pretty good the 65 inch model IMO does not look as good as the 55 inch I dunno why but I find the 55 inch more pleasing to the eye and colour are definitely better . Perhaps it is a IPS panel if so it does not suffer from poor blacks i guess due to full array. They fixed the colour smearing that was on the p series (somewhat but still is present slightly also rtings confirms this too) which I did not like @ all I find the m series I know it's lower but it is an improvement over last years models.

Now the colour are quite accurate this year definitely a step up from last year however they have less colours than the competition. They carry less rec2020 color space , M series has 49% rec2020 compared to the ju7100 which has 55.5 %. So for cnet to say it compares to js8500 colour that has quantum dots HDR support and a even higher coverage of rec 2020 @ 68.5% is disingenuous just downright false.

The M series does look good and fald will give u great dark room performance actually Vizio does full array quite good but it is not the best tv out there. M series beats the mid level tv's in black performance and bang for buck thats it . So with that said you will get good performance outta M series just don't listen to the cnet review and think you will get same performance as Js8500 or other top end sets simply not true but for the price it is a great tv.

Rec2020 coverage is important as this is where the industry is going with HDR and regular 4k content so not being able to reproduce as much as the competition must be noted. We are going to a new colour gamut of rec 2020 so going forward the old rec709 standard is going the way of the dinosaurs. Rec 709 the tv will perform well but when 4k blu rays come out you will see the deficiency of this sets colours . Knowing this one can't honesty say the colour is better or on par with the competition sorry just stating the facts and the number don't lie.

M series rec 2020

JU7100 rec 2020

JS8500 rec 2020

Now hope you guys can see from the charts that Cnet is wrong to say M series has same or better colour than competition I feel more $$$$$$ has to do with review cause the number don't reflect catz view on vizios tv..
Thanks very much for these data, but I didn't catch what was the source of the data. Was it CNET? Also, I recall my old statistics professor's maxim that a difference is only a difference if it makes a difference, i.e. whether these differences are meaningful. So this led me to wonder whether these differences that you noted would be perceptible in a REC 2020 environment?
post #3425 of 16411 Old 08-26-2015, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3935 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post
Thanks very much for these data, but I didn't catch what was the source of the data. Was it CNET? Also, I recall my old statistics professor's maxim that a difference is only a difference if it makes a difference, i.e. whether these differences are meaningful. So this led me to wonder whether these differences that you noted would be perceptible in a REC 2020 environment?
Rtings.com
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #3426 of 16411 Old 08-26-2015, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
If I hit the input button on the TV remote, the info bar at the top says 720p. Is this correct???

Jeff
post #3427 of 16411 Old 08-26-2015, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 mod View Post
If I hit the input button on the TV remote, the info bar at the top says 720p. Is this correct???

Jeff

Yes that is the source input to the TV which is then upscaled it to 4K, just like a 1080p TV would upscale it to 1080.
post #3428 of 16411 Old 08-26-2015, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So my issue came back. I'll be taking it back to Best Buy to exchange it. Any thoughts on Sony X850c?
post #3429 of 16411 Old 08-26-2015, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I've had my M70 for a little over a week(hung in my living room), and I have a 65JS8500 arriving Friday that's going in the bedroom. I looked at both for more hours than I care to admit in Best Buy. Both are fantastic TVs. I spent the extra on the Samsung because of the wider color gamut and HDR capabilities which will hopefully pay some dividends when like content arrives. I will say that I think the Vizio throws an outstanding picture and for the price I think it's an absolute no brainer for anyone wanting a 4K set with no 3D. I've even spent a lot of time looking at the OLEDs...and again, for the price of the Vizio....I honestly don't see how anyone...who has done their research, could pass on picking up an M series Viz. I'm coming from a Panny VT Plasma which was/is one of the best. The blacks on the Viz are very very very good!
How is sports on the M? I am ready to pull the trigger but I am worried about motion blur. The JS8500 was outstanding but at twice the cost.
post #3430 of 16411 Old 08-26-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Haven't been able to watch much since I've only had it a little over a week.....some little league world series. Nothing noticeable to me at all...nothing distracting. From reviews I don't think it fares any worse than many of the other top 4K TVs. You could probably view some at Best Buy.....sure they'd put some up for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick30 View Post
How is sports on the M? I am ready to pull the trigger but I am worried about motion blur. The JS8500 was outstanding but at twice the cost.

JVC X550R /Panny UB820/GIK treatments
Elunevision 140" 2.35
Marantz AV8802a/Wyred4Sound 7-channel amp
Outlaw 5000/ 4 JBL 328Cs for Atmos/ 7.2.4 Atmos
JTR 3TX LCRs/Single8 HT-LP surrounds(4)/Dual Pierce/Speakerpower 21" subs
post #3431 of 16411 Old 08-26-2015, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Watching football right now and even the awful NFL Network broadcast looks good on My 80 inch Vizio M-series. You just have to get the settings right first. It won't look good with the default settings. The 60p motion interpolation is top notch on the M-series after the firmware update. Literally Zero motion blur with 60p content now.
post #3432 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Watching football right now and even the awful NFL Network broadcast looks good on My 80 inch Vizio M-series. You just have to get the settings right first. It won't look good with the default settings. The 60p motion interpolation is top notch on the M-series after the firmware update. Literally Zero motion blur with 60p content now.
That's good to hear. Did you have yours professionally calibrated or did you use one of the sites Cnet, RTINGS, etc.) and tweak it to your liking?
post #3433 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wink

Quote:
That's good to hear. Did you have yours professionally calibrated or did you use one of the sites Cnet, RTINGS, etc.) and tweak it to your liking?
I used my own settings in combination with the built-in test patterns which work exceptionally well.
post #3434 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

You need to check out the reviews at Rtings.com.

The "M" did not perform well to view sports.
post #3435 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon69 View Post
You need to check out the reviews at Rtings.com.

The "M" did not perform well to view sports.
That was with the old firmware. The users for the most part seem to be very happy with the performance which means more to me than one reviewer comment. All LCDs have some motion blur.
post #3436 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 09:32 AM

Liked: 11
How is the 4k content on Amazon and Netflix look?

My 5 year old LG 55" just died and I'm probably picking up the M60 this weekend at best buy. Typically I hate the TV apps that always come with these TVs, but since it's the only way to get the content now I guess I'll deal!
post #3437 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 09:44 AM

Hello everyone. Just purchased the Vizio M70 yesterday and I just wanted to share my settings. I used calibrated dark to start.
Auto brightness off
Backlight 28
Brightness 52
Contrast 42
Tint 0
Sharpness 30 (can set this to whatever you prefer)
In more picture settings I used
Color temp normal
Black detail off
LED zones off
Reduce judder 0
Reduce motion blur 0
Clear action off
Reduce signal noise off
Reduce black noise off
Game low latency on
Color space auto
Gamma 2.2
Did not touch white balance or anything else and the picture to me is phenomenal!
post #3438 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 09:46 AM

If you try the settings give it a little time to let your eyes to adjust.
post #3439 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to raise the height of my M65-C1 by ~3-4” so I can put my center channel speaker on the TV bench (below the TV) and not have it obscure the screen (speaker is 6" in height). The practical part of me says I grab some old bricks or pavers from the back yard and put an old towel or something underneath them so they don’t scratch the surface of the TV stand. But that would not be very attractive, and since I am married, I have to give some regard to that sort of thing…

Another thought I had was using glass blocks, like what’s used in bathroom windows, since those are 4” thick and it would look cool. But I’m a little leery of that as they are typically hollow, and not sure how much weight they can support. That would not be good if one cracked and the TV tipped over. A cat, dog, or child might get squished, plus the TV would likely be toast.

So my next thought was wood. The legs are 11” from front to back, and ~1” wide, so something the width of a 2x4 or 1x3 would be wide enough, but not thick enough. But they could possibly be stacked and glued together to get to the desired height, then sanded and finished. Or possibly it'd be better to find something that is more the actual 3-4” thickness I want? I think the TV weighs about 60 lbs or so, I’m not a mechanical engineer but I’d assume the weight is reasonably equally distributed between the two sets of legs?

Has anyone done this sort of thing before? Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Eric
post #3440 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone else see motion glitches on some TV broadcast programming?

I've had my M70-C3 for about three weeks now and while most TV programming looks great (including sports) there is some that causes terrible glitching on my set. (Terrible to my eyes, anyway.)

For example, I watched the last 10 minutes of "The Goldbergs" and the first 10 minutes of "Modern Family" last night on ABC. In both cases, scene changes would frequently causes sub-second "stuttering" (say, for well under a half-second, maybe even less than that) where it seems almost like a slow-motion effect. Again, this is only for a fraction of a second, but it happens almost every time the camera changes position. In some cases, it would also be accompanied by what appeared to be a white flash at the top of the screen, maybe extending down 1/5 or 1/4 or the screen height, though this was more rare. This slow-motion effect and the screen flash are EXTREMELY brief and you wouldn't normally notice it, except it kept happening over and over. Note, however, then when commercials came on, there was no problem. When the program resumed, back to glitching.

Most TV doesn't cause this, just some stations and/or programs it would seem. My Reduce Judder is set at 2 and Reduce Motion Blur is set at 6. Adjusting these settings (even turning them off), however, didn't resolve my issue. Changing from HDMI 5 to HDMI 1 also had no effect.

The Vizio is replacing a 70 inch Sharp LE550 that never exhibited these issues at all. Switching to my Epson 8700UB projector also eliminates the problem.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen something similar with their Vizio's.

Anthem AVM-60 / Rotel RMB-1095 / Oppo UDP-203
Klipsch RF-7 II, RC-64 II, RS-62 II (5.1) / Paradigm Sub 15
post #3441 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erzak View Post
I want to raise the height of my M65-C1 by ~3-4” so I can put my center channel speaker on the TV bench
I just bought this stand to replace the legs on my M70. I didn't need to raise my TV like you require, but rather where the TV sits isn't wide enough for the legs. However, this stand has several height positions so you can put the TV at whichever position you prefer.

You're probably looking for a cheaper DIY solution, but I was pleasantly surprised by this unit's sturdiness and flexibility. I wasn't so fond of the glass base (I hate reflections) but I just assembled it with the base upside down (the bottom is matte black) and problem solved.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-14797

post #3442 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikub View Post
Brightness 52
Contrast 42
Don't adjust these two settings from their default value unless you adjust the color space to RGB. It may look good to you but you have diminished the contrast by adjusting these settings in the Auto color space mode.
post #3443 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJazz View Post
Does anyone else see motion glitches on some TV broadcast programming?

I've had my M70-C3 for about three weeks now and while most TV programming looks great (including sports) there is some that causes terrible glitching on my set. (Terrible to my eyes, anyway.)

For example, I watched the last 10 minutes of "The Goldbergs" and the first 10 minutes of "Modern Family" last night on ABC. In both cases, scene changes would frequently causes sub-second "stuttering" (say, for well under a half-second, maybe even less than that) where it seems almost like a slow-motion effect. Again, this is only for a fraction of a second, but it happens almost every time the camera changes position. In some cases, it would also be accompanied by what appeared to be a white flash at the top of the screen, maybe extending down 1/5 or 1/4 or the screen height, though this was more rare. This slow-motion effect and the screen flash are EXTREMELY brief and you wouldn't normally notice it, except it kept happening over and over. Note, however, then when commercials came on, there was no problem. When the program resumed, back to glitching.

Most TV doesn't cause this, just some stations and/or programs it would seem. My Reduce Judder is set at 2 and Reduce Motion Blur is set at 6. Adjusting these settings (even turning them off), however, didn't resolve my issue. Changing from HDMI 5 to HDMI 1 also had no effect.

The Vizio is replacing a 70 inch Sharp LE550 that never exhibited these issues at all. Switching to my Epson 8700UB projector also eliminates the problem.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen something similar with their Vizio's.
Does the issue occur in the same places if you record the program and play it back on the Vizio TV? Does it do the same for your other TV from the recording?
post #3444 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Does the issue occur in the same places if you record the program and play it back on the Vizio TV? Does it do the same for your other TV from the recording?
Yes - the problem occurs in the same places of a recording (on the Vizio).

No - it does not do the same when replayed on my projector. Or, to be fair, if this is some inherent flaw in the source material, the project does a much better job of concealing it, to the point where it is not noticeable.

post #3445 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 AM
L67

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmattoo View Post
How is the 4k content on Amazon and Netflix look?

My 5 year old LG 55" just died and I'm probably picking up the M60 this weekend at best buy. Typically I hate the TV apps that always come with these TVs, but since it's the only way to get the content now I guess I'll deal!
Hi, new member here. I picked up an M43 last weekend at BJ's for $579 (amazing price for UHD) and have found this thread quite helpful. The Netflix app on the Vizio works and looks the same as on my TiVo Roamio. The 4K content looks great to me, but I've only watched about 45 minutes' worth so far, mostly the beginning of Marco Polo and the Flowers short. This TV really shines in a dark room, but it's still very good when the room is bright.

My wife prefers to use the TiVo remote for everything, but except for the lack of 4K on the TiVo, Netflix looks the same with either app. However, I found that the Vivid settings look better with 4K than my custom settings for cable. Using the TV app automatically switches between settings when going between the TiVo and Netflix. So basically we're using the TiVo for Netflix except when watching 4K content.

One thing I have noticed with the Active LEDs is when the picture abruptly becomes uniformly dark I can see the LED levels stepping down.
post #3446 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 11:00 AM

Thank you for letting me know about the contrast. They are just my personal settings and what look good to my eyes. When I left them at 50 it just seemed too bright and peoples faces and skin tones looked too.. Umm not oversaturated, more like too overexposed. Ohh and I left color at 50. Thank you though for your response.
post #3447 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by erzak View Post
I want to raise the height of my M65-C1 by ~3-4” so I can put my center channel speaker on the TV bench (below the TV) and not have it obscure the screen (speaker is 6" in height). The practical part of me says I grab some old bricks or pavers from the back yard and put an old towel or something underneath them so they don’t scratch the surface of the TV stand. But that would not be very attractive, and since I am married, I have to give some regard to that sort of thing…

Another thought I had was using glass blocks, like what’s used in bathroom windows, since those are 4” thick and it would look cool. But I’m a little leery of that as they are typically hollow, and not sure how much weight they can support. That would not be good if one cracked and the TV tipped over. A cat, dog, or child might get squished, plus the TV would likely be toast.

So my next thought was wood. The legs are 11” from front to back, and ~1” wide, so something the width of a 2x4 or 1x3 would be wide enough, but not thick enough. But they could possibly be stacked and glued together to get to the desired height, then sanded and finished. Or possibly it'd be better to find something that is more the actual 3-4” thickness I want? I think the TV weighs about 60 lbs or so, I’m not a mechanical engineer but I’d assume the weight is reasonably equally distributed between the two sets of legs?

Has anyone done this sort of thing before? Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Eric
Have you considered a wall mount? Probably the cleanest solution.
post #3448 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy View Post
Have you considered a wall mount? Probably the cleanest solution.
Wall mount isn't really an option, since I'm putting my TV in front of a unused fireplace (not too practical in Phoenix). The fireplace doesn't have a mantle, so other than some tile the outlines the opening, it's flush to the wall, but there's a sizable hole in the wall there. I do plan to remove the fireplace (and chimney) in the future, but that is beyond my handyman skills
post #3449 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Does this display have "flashlighting" that some LCD units have?

LG OLED65B6P. Klipsch: RF82, RC62, RS52, RB61, RP-140SA. SVS PB-U13. Denon 6300H. Oppo 103D. Oppo UPD 203.
post #3450 of 16411 Old 08-27-2015, 11:34 AM

You could maybe go to home depot and get yourself a 6??6"?8' post and have it cut down there into 2 blocks for the legs which would be around 15 dollars or just build a rectangular box standing 2?4's upright and then screw a sheet of plywood on top to make a table top. That could raise it up to the height you need...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page