Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread - Page 117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11319Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3481 of 16411 Old 08-28-2015, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
videoguy60467's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post
My son bought an M60 last weekend at Walmart. He's been setting it up but it won't stay on! It just turns itself off randomly, from what he says after just seconds. Has anyone else seen this? We had to rent a truck to buy it and I really don't want to have to do that again to return it and get another TV...
Try doing a full reset, and see if the problem persists. If so, exchange the set.
videoguy60467 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3482 of 16411 Old 08-28-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
venus933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,405
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Any word on the P series as far as WCG and/or HDR?
Nothing official as far as I know, heck there's nothing official that there will even be a P series. But there are folks who are supposedly in the know that say it will have WCG and HDR.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
venus933 is offline  
post #3483 of 16411 Old 08-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Yeto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Would anyone know the 4 digit universal remote code for the M-series and for the E-series?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Yeto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3484 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 04:46 AM
Senior Member
 
stick30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon69 View Post
For your information I have the Vizio M55-C2 in my livingroom,but I am not a rabid sports viewer.

But now I am begining to wonder about Rtings.com because in one of their comparision list they recommend a model from Sharp for sports,which has lower review ratings than the Vizio on the Best Buy website.

I returned a Samsung JS8500 due to RVU and was just going to get another when I started reading this thread and some reviews. Everything looked great except for all the talk about how the M handle motion.

I have only owned plasma to this point so i knew I would have to tolerate some level of motion blur and poor off axis viewing.

I am pleasantly surprised how the M70 performed compared to the JS8500. I think the JS8500 processing is a little better a maybe even less from a motion perspective so I feel the price difference is not worth it for me.

Golf is a great test and I have yet see an LCD/LED handle it like a plasma but for all other sports the M70 after all the reviews surprised me and I will be keeping it.

I think this will hold me off until hopefully OLED becomes more affordable.
leftyguitar1963 likes this.
stick30 is offline  
post #3485 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rightintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,878
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Nothing official as far as I know, heck there's nothing official that there will even be a P series. But there are folks who are supposedly in the know that say it will have WCG and HDR.
Let's hope so. It'll be very disappointing if it doesn't.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
rightintel is offline  
post #3486 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 05:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Chris Campbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by efball View Post
I'm using my M60 with my HTPC (Ubuntu/MythTV/HomeRun Prime) and Blu-Ray player. The lack of 4:4:4 chroma is a non-issue for me. TV, DVD, & Blu-Ray all sub-sample chroma (no 4:4:4). For watching video it's irrelevant whether you use an HTPC or a cable box. For use as a computer from 8' away it also isn't an issue, it looks great.

I was thinking of getting a 40" UHD TV to use as a desktop monitor, and then it would matter - sitting two feet away.
Thank you, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Actually I pulled he trigger on the m70 yesterday and will echo your comments - I really can't tell a difference, at least at 1080p. I'm using hd4000 integrated graphics right now, so that's my max, but I'd like to pick up a gtx960 and run in native uhd soon. Hopefully the result there will be similar.
Chris Campbell is offline  
post #3487 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 05:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Chris Campbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick30 View Post
I returned a Samsung JS8500 due to RVU and was just going to get another when I started reading this thread and some reviews. Everything looked great except for all the talk about how the M handle motion.

I have only owned plasma to this point so i knew I would have to tolerate some level of motion blur and poor off axis viewing.

I am pleasantly surprised how the M70 performed compared to the JS8500. I think the JS8500 processing is a little better a maybe even less from a motion perspective so I feel the price difference is not worth it for me.

Golf is a great test and I have yet see an LCD/LED handle it like a plasma but for all other sports the M70 after all the reviews surprised me and I will be keeping it.

I think this will hold me off until hopefully OLED becomes more affordable.
I just did exactly this, and couldn't be happier. Like you, I did feel the processing on the Samsung was a bit better, and it looked a tad sharper when viewing certain material, but I'm not sure how much of that is just the fact that it has a slightly higher ppi.

When it comes to black level, uniformity, and colors, I think he m70 is actually superior. And the biggest difference to me is in the user friendly menus and picture adjustments. After using the nonsense that was the Samsung gui, the Vizio is a breath of fresh air. Also, the arc function on the Vizio actually works properly instead of just changing my avr inputs when I don't want it to (not to mention flat out failing half the time).

The fact that it's bigger and nearly half the cost is just gravy.
leftyguitar1963 likes this.
Chris Campbell is offline  
post #3488 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 07:14 AM
Newbie
 
salparadiserj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I'm looking to pull the trigger on an M series today but am having a heck of a time deciding between the 60 and 65" versions. I understand that each size is equipped with a different panel. Is there a significant difference between the two? I'd much rather grab the 60" for my viewing distance of about 7ft, but I want to be sure that the 65 isn't that much better from a performance standpoint as value-wise its unbeatable.
salparadiserj is offline  
post #3489 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
stick30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Campbell View Post
I just did exactly this, and couldn't be happier. Like you, I did feel the processing on the Samsung was a bit better, and it looked a tad sharper when viewing certain material, but I'm not sure how much of that is just the fact that it has a slightly higher ppi.

When it comes to black level, uniformity, and colors, I think he m70 is actually superior. And the biggest difference to me is in the user friendly menus and picture adjustments. After using the nonsense that was the Samsung gui, the Vizio is a breath of fresh air. Also, the arc function on the Vizio actually works properly instead of just changing my avr inputs when I don't want it to (not to mention flat out failing half the time).

The fact that it's bigger and nearly half the cost is just gravy.

I agree there are things it does better and like you said...half the cost......and bigger. Never would I have thought to consider a Vizio but here I am.
Chris Campbell likes this.
stick30 is offline  
post #3490 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Sovereign State of Eastern Oregon
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by salparadiserj View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking to pull the trigger on an M series today but am having a heck of a time deciding between the 60 and 65" versions. I understand that each size is equipped with a different panel. Is there a significant difference between the two? I'd much rather grab the 60" for my viewing distance of about 7ft, but I want to be sure that the 65 isn't that much better from a performance standpoint as value-wise its unbeatable.

They both use a VA panel.

Since your initial instinct is the M60, and there have been more than a couple of problems reported with the M65, go with the M60.

The Seth-o-Plex 2.0 Build Thread - featuring Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 9.4.4 & 4K Dolby Vision!
Vizio | Dual Denon Atmos AVRs | Oppo | SVS | Mirage | Onkyo | Monoprice
stikle is offline  
post #3491 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post
They both use a VA panel.

Since your initial instinct is the M60, and there have been more than a couple of problems reported with the M65, go with the M60.
I have a question regarding the panels. I have read that the 50" and 55" have a 60hz panel even though the processing is done at 120hz. Is this correct? Also, is there such thing as a best M series model, except for the size difference?
symple84 is offline  
post #3492 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 9,227
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post
They both use a VA panel.

Since your initial instinct is the M60, and there have been more than a couple of problems reported with the M65, go with the M60.
What problems exactly are you talking about for the 65?

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is offline  
post #3493 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Sovereign State of Eastern Oregon
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Panel problems out of the box.

The Seth-o-Plex 2.0 Build Thread - featuring Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 9.4.4 & 4K Dolby Vision!
Vizio | Dual Denon Atmos AVRs | Oppo | SVS | Mirage | Onkyo | Monoprice
stikle is offline  
post #3494 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Newbie
 
uhmgawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: US North East
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
vizio m43-c1 as PC monitor: conventional screensaver support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick30 View Post
Never would I have thought to consider a Vizio but here I am.
Same here but likely for different reasons than most in this forum. I'm looking to upgrade to a 4K UHD HDMI monitor and in terms of screen real estate vs. cost a 2160p tv seems to be a clear winner. I've waded through the all of the tradeoffs but have come to one annoying nit which looks to be somewhat of a headache to address.

I need the TV to turn its backlight off when the PC's screen saver kicks in and reenable it when the screensaver snaps back. This normally happens with a conventional monitor via the video drive being disabled/reenabled. Unfortunately this Vizio and the Sharp 43ub30u preceding it don't function as such and complain of "No Signal" when the screensaver kicks in. And the best either can do as an option is permanently turning off the power after 10-15m of signal loss. Unfortunately that makes reenable of the tv a manual and slow operation.

Sharp and Vizio "technical support" are unfortunately useless here so I'm wondering whether someone knows of a way an m43-c1 can be coaxed into entering a backlight disabled state when the video drive is disabled and exiting when the drive is restored.

Other more involved solutions are either sending CEC commands (or IR remote codes) by a hook in the screensaver. But this would involve creating a USB widget to act as the interface. I'd consider doing so but not until I'm certain there is no means to force the tv to natively behave as I'm after.

I'm not even sure there is another 4K UHD choice other than this Vizio given it has the lowest latency of any competitive current production unit. And though given my otherwise zero experience with Vizio products I'd rather go with a more mainstream manufacturer, I don't believe another reasonable option exists.
uhmgawa is offline  
post #3495 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 10:49 AM
Member
 
lcdjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone else with FIOS have some channels not fill the screen completely? It's nothing crazy, just some thin blank areas on the top and bottom, and usually not the same size. My previous tv never showed this.

Was it overscanning like crazy and this one is simply not doing that?

I setup the screen position for HBO, which included no zooming in to fill the screen properly. But not all channels like this setup apparently.
lcdjunkie is offline  
post #3496 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 11:51 AM
Senior Member
 
efball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Santa Rosa, California
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by salparadiserj View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking to pull the trigger on an M series today but am having a heck of a time deciding between the 60 and 65" versions. I understand that each size is equipped with a different panel. Is there a significant difference between the two? I'd much rather grab the 60" for my viewing distance of about 7ft, but I want to be sure that the 65 isn't that much better from a performance standpoint as value-wise its unbeatable.
As mentioned elsewhere, the 65" seems to get more reports of out of box defects, but it is also a popular size, so it's hard to say for sure if the 65" has more quality problems. The 60 and 65 panels are made by different companies, but they both look good.

I'm 7.5' from the M60 and I'm quite pleased with it. The 65" would be better for Netflix UHD and good Blu-Rays, a 55 would be better for ABC (720). It's a good compromise.

Vizio M60-C3 UHD TV
Vizio D50-F1 UHD TV
MythTV / Ubuntu / Home Run Prime
Paradigm Studio v2 speakers
Clark Tactile Transducer
efball is offline  
post #3497 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
str1der's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ky
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The M70 doesn't come with a plastic film over the screen that I can seem to peel off does it? Coming from a Panasonic plasma and have to say I'm not exactly wowed by the picture. There just seems to be a grey dullness to the picture. I've tried a couple different settings that have been posted but it leaves the picture to dark to watch anything on Dish. Tried various things to brighten up the picture but then it tends to blowout any bright areas and peoples faces. Anyone else seeing similar? It's almost like if I took a station and zoomed in.
str1der is offline  
post #3498 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
carillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I just installed my new M65-C1... Would someone be kind enough to post or link settings? This TV is in a brightly lit room FWIW. My firmware version appears to be 1.0.6. Thanks!

Last edited by carillon; 08-29-2015 at 01:43 PM.
carillon is offline  
post #3499 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris Campbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1der View Post
The M70 doesn't come with a plastic film over the screen that I can seem to peel off does it? Coming from a Panasonic plasma and have to say I'm not exactly wowed by the picture. There just seems to be a grey dullness to the picture. I've tried a couple different settings that have been posted but it leaves the picture to dark to watch anything on Dish. Tried various things to brighten up the picture but then it tends to blowout any bright areas and peoples faces. Anyone else seeing similar? It's almost like if I took a station and zoomed in.
In answer to your question, no there is no film applied to the screen that is removed. It is a semi-matte finish, and one of he reasons I bought this set. My previous daily driver was a pioneer Kuro elite,so I know where you're coming from. The ar coating on that display was the only thing that kept the reflections tolerable for me, but from what I've read hose coatings don't work well for glossy led displays - they're really for glass only.

Speaking of the picture quality, I have to agree that there are some sacrifices when it comes to the switch from plasma to lcd, and the matte screen does reduce contrast very slightly, but it's a good trade in my room environment. Also, when I setup my m70 using the cnet calibration settings, I found that black levels and color richness where excellent, if maybe just a bit worse than the plasma that preceded.

If you want it a little brighter (I prefer a brighter picture myself than the reference standard), try turning up the backlight. It won't mess with your calibration and you may get the punch that you're after. Personally I use the auto backlight feature on "high".
Chris Campbell is offline  
post #3500 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris Campbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by carillon View Post
I just installed my new M65-C1... Would someone be kind enough to post or link settings? This TV is in a brightly lit room FWIW. My firmware version appears to be 1.0.6. Thanks!
I liked the cnet settings:

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussio...14373972496393

Just turn up the backlight for a bright room - shouldn't mess with the calibration at all.
Chris Campbell is offline  
post #3501 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
carillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Campbell View Post
I liked the cnet settings:

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussio...14373972496393

Just turn up the backlight for a bright room - shouldn't mess with the calibration at all.
Thanks Chris, I'll give them a try! Also, can you tell me where the IR receiver is located on the M65? I want to position my IR blaster correctly. Appreciate it!
carillon is offline  
post #3502 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mpgxsvcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 8,898
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
I am still creating the video evidence to back up all of the settings I am recommending. However, I know that some people are just interested in trying the settings and are not as concerned with the theories behind them. I have listed my final settings below. I will still produce the video and post it as a separate thread so I can keep it updated. However, if you can't wait then have a look below.

I have posted a cliff notes version of my recommendations below. There is very little information below to backup up these claims. However, I am putting that video together right now and I guarantee it will give everyone pause about what we thought we knew about these TVs. It will just take a little longer to compile this video because there are so many topics to cover.

If you want to try the settings then just punch in these values and see what you think. The Color settings are actually the only settings that are TV specific and those are actually a lot closer per TV than you would think.

2015 M-series - firmware 1.2.23-UHD

General TV viewingOnly Use HDMI 1-4 with these settings. Only plug a computer or gaming console into HDMI 5. My video will explain this in more detail.

Auto Brightness Control = Off

Backlight(Subjective) = 63-77

Brightness = 50 for Auto or YCbCr color space. 31,32, or 33 for RGB color Space.

Contrast = 50. Any other value here clips the signal with Auto, YCbCr, or RGB color space. You have been warned.

Color = 58, 59, or 60. Just trust me on this one. You can select any value you want here within reason but 58, 59, or 60 will be the optimal choice for calibrating the rest of the colors. 59 was the optimal choice for my M80-C3 and my M55 TVs.

Tint = 0 Don’t change this value. It is much better to use the fine color controls.

Sharpness(Subjective) = 18-25 I chose 18 for low quality sources and 22 for high quality ones

More Picture options:

Color Temperature(Subjective) – Normal if you want accurate. Computer if you want slightly cooler. Never use Cool. It is just wrong. It is Ironic that Cool is the default value.

Black Detail(Subjective) – Low. None of the other values work properly. Either use Off or Low. Don’t use Medium or High. Those two are broken and need a firmware update.

Active LED Zones – On pretty much always. If you see brightness pumping then turn it off but that is extremely rare as in only 1 Netflix show has it. Otherwise it needs to be on.

Reduce Judder = 2 for slight improvement in motion without the soap opera effect. Otherwise zero except for with computers. Select 9 for desktop computer use.

Reduce Motion Blur = Always 9 or Off. My video will explain this in more detail. 9 does not produce any Soap Opera Effect with 60p sources.

Clear Action – Off Always. The amount of screen darkening with the M-series is too great for this setting to be useful. Turning up the backlight cannot correct it. However, this setting is very effective with my 50 inch P-series.

Reduce Signal Noise = High. Always, Always, Always use High here even with high quality well produced Hollywood 1080p Blu-rays. Just trust me here. My video will explain this in detail. Always use High.

Reduce Block Noise = Off or Low. Perhaps Medium if the source is really over compressed.

Game Low Latency – Always Off for any input except for HDMI 5. Only use a computer or gaming console with HDMI 5. Never ever plug a Blu-ray player into HDMI 5. HDMI 5 disables the Reduce Signal Noise function which is ALWAYS necessary for even the highest quality movies. You have been warned.

Film Mode = Doesn’t matter. This setting is broken. You can pick Auto or Off and it will do the same thing.

Color Space = Auto. Don’t pick RGB. You really aren’t improving things by doing that. You have been warned.

Gamma(Subjective) = 1.8 will give you the most shadow detail. 2.4 will clip the most shadow detail. Somewhere in between is a good choice. I choose 2.0 for most things.

Color Calibration Settings: These settings are TV dependent. My settings are a good starting place but you will need to take you own measurements to be sure. Don't use the 11-point color balance settings. They are not precise enough to be effective.

M80-C3
Normal Color Profile:
Brightness, Offset
Red: 13, 2
Green: -23, -6
Blue: 10, -6

Computer Color Profile:
Brightness, Offset
Red: 13, -2
Green: -24, -2
Blue: 33, -18

M55
Normal Color Profile:
Brightness, Offset
Red: 7, -2
Green: -24, -6
Blue: 28, -6

Computer Color Profile:
Brightness, Offset
Red: 6, 0
Green: -24, -8
Blue: 27, -24

Last edited by mpgxsvcd; 08-29-2015 at 03:42 PM.
mpgxsvcd is offline  
post #3503 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris Campbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by carillon View Post
Thanks Chris, I'll give them a try! Also, can you tell me where the IR receiver is located on the M65? I want to position my IR blaster correctly. Appreciate it!
The sensor is located on the bottom lip of the TV on the extreme left side. It's actually just below the power indicator. You'll see a little clear plastic extension if you look beneath the set.
mpgxsvcd and Bob7145 like this.
Chris Campbell is offline  
post #3504 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mpgxsvcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 8,898
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Campbell View Post
Couple questions for you owners. I'm very interested in either the 70" version of this set (what a deal right now!) or possibly the new 75" version. I'm leaning toward the former since the latter is almost twice the price at $3k, unless they've added any functionality to the later model 75" version?

My biggest concern is that I do use this display with an HTPC in my family room, and would eventually want to upgrade my video card and run it in 4k60 (right now it's just outputting to 1080p). I understand the lack of any kind of 4:4:4 chroma is an issue, but I'm trying to gauge how much of an issue. I don't really do any critical photo development work on the pc, it's mainly just a hub to launch movies (BR rips), TV content (windows media center and HD Homerun tuner), and a bit of web browsing.

With that said, is it likely that I will have issues with the failure to pass 4:4:4 chroma on this set? Other than that it's "deficiencies" compared to other highly rated sets don't bother me.

Thanks!
All 2015 Vizio M-series and the 2014 P-series all can do 4:4:4 with 1080p @ 60 FPS, 1080p @ 120 FPS, 4K/UHD @ 30 FPS, and 4K/UHD @ 60 FPS. The test pattern that RTINGS.com is using does not test for 4:4:4. It actually tests for 1:1 pixel mapping. 1:1 Pixel mapping is actually not as big a deal as 4:4:4. Therefore, it is a good thing that the Vizio TVs can do 4:4:4 but are not true 1:1 pixel mapped.

This will be one of the bigger things my video will talk about. If a TV can only do 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 it absolutely cannot be used as a computer monitor. It is blatantly obvious when it is 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. However, the Vizio TVs most definitely can do 4:4:4 and make perfect computer monitors when setup properly. I use my M80-C3 as a computer monitor and it is just about perfect. The reviews have completely messed up the Vizio TV's capabilities as a computer monitor.
Bob7145 likes this.
mpgxsvcd is offline  
post #3505 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mpgxsvcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 8,898
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by efball View Post
I'm using my M60 with my HTPC (Ubuntu/MythTV/HomeRun Prime) and Blu-Ray player. The lack of 4:4:4 chroma is a non-issue for me. TV, DVD, & Blu-Ray all sub-sample chroma (no 4:4:4). For watching video it's irrelevant whether you use an HTPC or a cable box. For use as a computer from 8' away it also isn't an issue, it looks great.

I was thinking of getting a 40" UHD TV to use as a desktop monitor, and then it would matter - sitting two feet away.
Actually 4:4:4 is truly critical for computer use. The issue is that RTINGS.com is using the wrong test pattern. They claimed that the Vizio TVs don't do 4:4:4 when they actually do. 4:2:2 is extremely obvious.

Here is what 4:4:4, 4:2:2, and 4:2:0 look like. Please note that all of these come from a Vizio M80-C3. It is absolutely capable of 4:4:4. The reviews simply got this one wrong and used a test pattern that tests for 1:1 pixel mapping instead of testing for 4:4:4. Those things are not the same thing and 4:4:4 is much more important than 1:1 pixel mapping for desktop use.

4:4:4 on the Vizio TV


4:2:2 on the Vizio TV


4:2:0 on the Vizio TV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2190478_2.jpg
Views:	8643
Size:	723.0 KB
ID:	914434   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2190477_2.jpg
Views:	8557
Size:	731.1 KB
ID:	914442   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2190475_2.jpg
Views:	6268
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	914450  
Bob7145, Ian N and 00 mod like this.
mpgxsvcd is offline  
post #3506 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mpgxsvcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 8,898
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Here are some more pictures that show the actual pixel structure.

RGB



4:4:4


4:2:2


4:2:0
Bob7145 and 00 mod like this.
mpgxsvcd is offline  
post #3507 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
carillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Campbell View Post
The sensor is located on the bottom lip of the TV on the extreme left side. It's actually just below the power indicator. You'll see a little clear plastic extension if you look beneath the set.
Thanks Chris... I appreciate the info!
carillon is offline  
post #3508 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
carillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Campbell View Post
I liked the cnet settings:

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussio...14373972496393

Just turn up the backlight for a bright room - shouldn't mess with the calibration at all.
Just entered the cnet settings and picture looks really good to me. Thanks!
carillon is offline  
post #3509 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris Campbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bel Air, MD
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Actually 4:4:4 is truly critical for computer use. The issue is that RTINGS.com is using the wrong test pattern. They claimed that the Vizio TVs don't do 4:4:4 when they actually do. 4:2:2 is extremely obvious.

Here is what 4:4:4, 4:2:2, and 4:2:0 look like. Please note that all of these come from a Vizio M80-C3. It is absolutely capable of 4:4:4. The reviews simply got this one wrong and used a test pattern that tests for 1:1 pixel mapping instead of testing for 4:4:4. Those things are not the same thing and 4:4:4 is much more important than 1:1 pixel mapping for desktop use.

4:4:4 on the Vizio TV
No disrespect, but I don't this is correct. I just tried viewing the standard 4:4:4 images in 1080p on my M70 and it did not pass. It showed 4:2:2. In fact, I believe there was a post from someone in this thread that indicated Vizio technical service stated that it does not support 4:4:4 under any circumstances, even 1080p.
Chris Campbell is offline  
post #3510 of 16411 Old 08-29-2015, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markm75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Does anyone know if the M70-c3 70" only has a certain port on the back that works at 120hz.. hdmi 5?

Does anyone know if this would work with the denon avr-1912 to pass 4k.. i'm thinking not..

It appears only port 5 has hdmi 2.2 and 120hz (edit: i guess thats hdcp 2.2 on hdmi 2.0)

Would that also mean the yamaha 2.0 hdmi RX-V577 would not pass 4k as well?

(for my application ill have a home theater pc with nvidia card connected via the receiver to the tv via hdmi, xbox one and ps4)

Thanks in advance

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com
Just Plane Crazy: http://flight-stew.com

Last edited by markm75; 08-29-2015 at 10:28 PM.
markm75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off