Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread - Page 263 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11319Likes

post #7861 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 565
LOL oh LOL!!!

So still, AGAIN, all that Vizio can offer me is a refund (I guess they think Quebec is basically on Mars since they cant reach me, impossible! so cant send a replacement)
And if they tell me AGAIN to keep the set because they cant figure out how to pick it up either, I'm officially starting a collection!!!
VBB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7862 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6729 Post(s)
Liked: 6579
Vizio has a smaller presence in Canada, which is probably one of the reasons you're running into so many roadblocks.

Sent from nowhere
toonj64 likes this.
post #7863 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As I look through the M series reviews, they all seem to point to motion performance as one of the weaker aspects of the set. Is that still the case or has firmware fixed that? Its unclear if firmware updates have actually improved performance or just resolved some weird behavior on the setting getting stuck, etc. Thanks in advance for any info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7864 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Vizio has a smaller presence in Canada, which is probably one of the reasons you're running into so many roadblocks.

Sent from nowhere
True.
But we do have 2 best buy and 2 Costco in the city that have had Vizio stock up until now all year. So Vizio DOES send out sets over here and they DO deal with warranties. They even have the new D65U at the best buy warehouse in Canada. So it's not as if no trucks ever come here with Vizios onboard. And we do have plenty of technicians too but they decided none of them are "officially" approved by Vizio. Those repair shops repair any brand no problem.
They simply refuse to do anything but refund for some obscure reason. Unless they literally want to get out of Canada...
post #7865 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
Hmmm, it seems it didn't stand out before but the M75 seems quite problematic...
I would say exchange for sure although some here have said that the split screen issue could be fixed if it is a video processing issue rather than a defect in the screen itself.
Tonight after work i will do a full reset just to make sure the split screen darkening issue is not some strange picture settings issue.

Really don't feel like going through the gambling process with Amazon. Knowing my luck, I'll get a worse set. Unfortunately, i'm way to picky to deal with this as it is very noticeable with dark scenes.

For those of you doing exchanges, how does the extended warranty work going through Squaretrade? I have not purchased it yet but i believe they give you 30 days from purchase date.
post #7866 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive View Post
As I look through the M series reviews, they all seem to point to motion performance as one of the weaker aspects of the set. Is that still the case or has firmware fixed that? Its unclear if firmware updates have actually improved performance or just resolved some weird behavior on the setting getting stuck, etc. Thanks in advance for any info!

From the avsforum review
Quote:
When it comes to rendering fast motion, I thought the Vizio did a good job without having to resort to any tricks. The M65 offers separate controls for judder reduction (frame interpolation) as well as black-frame insertion. Even with those functions disabled, the M65 looked as good as the F8500 when playing the Sarah on Hammock clip from the Spears and Munsil disc, which is a real torture test for motion rendering. Turning on motion interpolation improved the clip's apparent sharpness on both TVs, and to roughly an equal extent.

To my eyes, the M65 handles motion well, and it gives you plenty of flexibility when it comes to optimizing its performance.

From home theater review
Quote:
When setting up the motion blur and judder controls, I went with maximum blur reduction and zero judder reduction, and the result in my FPD Benchmark motion-resolution test pattern was clean, visible lines to an HD1080 resolution. Turning on the Clear Action function made those HD1080 lines even more clear, but this will limit the TV's overall brightness--then again, given how bright the TV can be, you can easily compensate for this by turning up the backlight. I did not see as much flicker with the VIZIO Clear Action mode as I have with other black-frame and backlight-scanning modes I've tested.

From cnet
Quote:
The 65-inch M series I tested has a 120Hz panel, however, and it behaved as well as I expect for such a TV. With Clear Action engaged it hit 1080 lines of motion resolution, an excellent result. That setting didn't introduce flicker that bothered me, but it did truncate the light output quite a bit, so I kept it off. Without Clear Action, and with the Reduce Blurring slider maxed out at 10, the 65-inch hit around 900 lines, which is still very good.
Rtings is the only place I've seen motion as a negative and they tested pre firmware with reduce motion blur at 0. Not sure what has changed but I can say motion is not a issue for my m70.
VBB, mboojigga and johnbrooke26 like this.
post #7867 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive View Post
I got my M75 on Wednesday and got it all set up using the cnet recommended settings. Watching Thursday night football I didnt notice any issues. Note that I got the update notice about an hour after I plugged it in.
post #7868 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Something weird I noticed (on the subject of motion), is that Clear motion on my M60 darkened the screen so much that even cranking backlight to 100 did not compensate.
But on my M65, Clear motion barely darkens the screen and could easily be compensated. I wonder why that is? I didn't really test it though to see what is does to motion handling.

One thing that was mentioned and that I noticed is that motion handling on these Vizios is DYNAMIC. It reads what is going on onscreen and then reacts accordingly. There is sometimes a bit of a delay for it to kick in and in my experience it sometimes DOES NOT kick in. An easy way to see this is by scrolling through movies in the Netflix apps by holding the arrow left or right. Sometimes it is very clear and easy to read the titles and other times it is a blurry juddery headache inducing mess.

This is very problematic for videogames since they are often not a solid 30 or 60 fps. Some people seem to have a set that doesn't fail to kick in motion handling but both my M60 and M65 do it right sometimes and other times just seems like it processes motion all wrong. I have confirmed this with the UFO test page too and it sort of goes back and forth between clear and juddery and it will vary if I have 2 or 3 UFOs onscreen. Then I could try it again later and it would be clear with no blur. Very temperamental and it does not act the same even if the conditions are the same

Last edited by toonj64; 12-11-2015 at 10:39 AM.
post #7869 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post
Did you try setting audio to PCM from bitstream or vice versa. I can't remember which but I know some apps wouldn't produce sound when set to one of those and connected to sound bar with an optical cable. I think it was bitstream.
Yeap, I tried both bitstream and pcm digital audio for the YouTube and amazon apps with no luck. =(
post #7870 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcuongo View Post
Yeap, I tried both bitstream and pcm digital audio for the YouTube and amazon apps with no luck. =(
Make sure it's not a bad optical cable and/or that it's properly inserted. I had a problem with me optical cable not quite connecting properly also on the tv side.
post #7871 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 12:09 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Silly question but did you change the input of the receiver to the correct one?
post #7872 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
Something weird I noticed (on the subject of motion), is that Clear motion on my M60 darkened the screen so much that even cranking backlight to 100 did not compensate.
But on my M65, Clear motion barely darkens the screen and could easily be compensated. I wonder why that is? I didn't really test it though to see what is does to motion handling.

One thing that was mentioned and that I noticed is that motion handling on these Vizios is DYNAMIC. It reads what is going on onscreen and then reacts accordingly. There is sometimes a bit of a delay for it to kick in and in my experience it sometimes DOES NOT kick in. An easy way to see this is by scrolling through movies in the Netflix apps by holding the arrow left or right. Sometimes it is very clear and easy to read the titles and other times it is a blurry juddery headache inducing mess.

This is very problematic for videogames since they are often not a solid 30 or 60 fps. Some people seem to have a set that doesn't fail to kick in motion handling but both my M60 and M65 do it right sometimes and other times just seems like it processes motion all wrong. I have confirmed this with the UFO test page too and it sort of goes back and forth between clear and juddery and it will vary if I have 2 or 3 UFOs onscreen. Then I could try it again later and it would be clear with no blur. Very temperamental and it does not act the same even if the conditions are the same
I have the same issue on the M70, with Clear Action enabled the back light control does nothing. From 0 - 100 there is no change in back light brightness. Anyone else see this on the Sharp panels (60", 70" or 80")?
post #7873 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post
Make sure it's not a bad optical cable and/or that it's properly inserted. I had a problem with me optical cable not quite connecting properly also on the tv side.
I was thinking of buying another cable to test out. It felt kinda loose when in plugged it into the TV and receiver. The optical light does transmit though since I see it on the end going into the receiver.
post #7874 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
I was thinking of buying another cable to test out. It felt kinda loose when in plugged it into the TV and receiver. The optical light does transmit though since I see it on the end going into the receiver.
I had light coming thru on mine as well. While playing something try pushing in on the tv side to see if you get anything. I did that to mine and the sound would come in. Switching out the cable resolved my issue.
post #7875 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hi guys. Just got the M-65 and am running it thru its own speakers and using the settings from CNET (here).
I did notice a popping noise when I rebooted my Tivo. Anything to be concerned about?

Picture looks pretty good. I need to get used to it. I am using this to replace a very good but smaller Sony NX810.
Anyone else using the CNET settings ? Any recommendations for a bright room ? I tried the Rtings settings...didnt like them.
post #7876 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any chance that these will get an update that supports Google Play movies?

What about 4k youtube or HBOGo (which is currently samsung only).

Not a huge deal to me now since I have an htpc, but the TV interface can be cleaner than the websites (and until I upgrade receiver and htpc, I am 1080p only). Would be nice to know if I can expect these things in the future.
post #7877 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottothecow View Post
Any chance that these will get an update that supports Google Play movies?

What about 4k youtube or HBOGo (which is currently samsung only).

Not a huge deal to me now since I have an htpc, but the TV interface can be cleaner than the websites (and until I upgrade receiver and htpc, I am 1080p only). Would be nice to know if I can expect these things in the future.

Doubt it for Google Movies....

No on YouTube 4K (M series lacks VP9 hardware)

HBOGO there is always a "chance" if Vizio and HBO can strike a deal, but Samsung may hold a stranglehold on the exclusive rights to it.

Sent from nowhere
post #7878 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does it need specific hardware for VP9? On their twitter, vizio keeps saying things like "Does not support VP9 at this time, but you can keep up to date on vizio.com for more info"
post #7879 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottothecow View Post
Does it need specific hardware for VP9? On their twitter, vizio keeps saying things like "Does not support VP9 at this time, but you can keep up to date on vizio.com for more info"

That's the "copy and paste company line".....it needs specific hardware which it lacks (from what I have read)....plenty of other devices offer it, so no real loss...

Sent from nowhere
toonj64 likes this.
post #7880 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 04:07 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvision View Post
I have the same issue on the M70, with Clear Action enabled the back light control does nothing. From 0 - 100 there is no change in back light brightness. Anyone else see this on the Sharp panels (60", 70" or 80")?
My M70 doesn't behave like that. Before I started using Clear Action, my backlight was set (with a meter) to 31 to output 35fL. With Clear Action ON, I had to crank up the backlight to 69 to get the same light output. Maybe you guys are doing this with the lights on, in which case the change in brightness would not be nearly as noticeable. Clear Action cuts light output by more than half, so it's not recommended unless you watch with minimal ambient light.

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | Denon AVR-X3500H | ELAC Uni-Fi x7 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
post #7881 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 04:12 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
I received my M75-C1 yesterday. I used the various settings here to get my picture calibrated nicely! I'm having an issue with my digital audio though. =/

I have a TiVo box, blu-ray player, gaming console, and TX-508 receiver. I have everything input to the receiver via HDMI and the one HDMI output to the TV. Everything works great, but I also want to be able to play Netflix/Amazon/Vudu app audio through the receiver speakers and not the built-in TV speaker. I connected a digital audio cable from the TV to the receiver but can't get sound to play. I messed with the CEC and audio settings but can't get it to work. Is my only option to connect everything to the TV first then audio out to the receiver? I'm hoping there a quick setting on the TV or receiver to get the digital audio working with the way I'm already setup?
With your setup, having everything go through the receiver into the TV's HDMI 1, why don't you just use ARC for your internal audio instead of the additional optical cable?

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | Denon AVR-X3500H | ELAC Uni-Fi x7 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
post #7882 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
With your setup, having everything go through the receiver into the TV's HDMI 1, why don't you just use ARC for your internal audio instead of the additional optical cable?
Thank you!!!! For some reason, I completely missed that hdmi 1 has ARC lol. Sound from TV apps work through the receiver now.
post #7883 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
ok guys just got home and took some pics with my cell. This is with the Amazon FireTV 2

The first 3 are with Active LED Zones ON.

The last one is with it Off.

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151211_185836.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1113778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151211_185221.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1113786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151211_185139.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1113794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151211_185349.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1113802  
post #7884 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post
Sounds like you're in "Demo Mode" or "Store Mode". Turn that off and that should do it.
U nailed it. Not sure how I screwed that up. Thanks
post #7885 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabugay2k View Post
ok guys just got home and took some pics with my cell. This is with the Amazon FireTV 2

The first 3 are with Active LED Zones ON.

The last one is with it Off.

What do you guys think?

That looks old normal.... Keep ALED ON....

Sent from nowhere
toonj64 likes this.
post #7886 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Ok everyone, back again with my third M65 and this one is a "re-certified" replacement directly from Vizio. First tv had terrible banding, second was bit by the panel bug where it turned off on its own and the backlight never came back on (both from Amazon). Got this one delivered today, set it all up and it quickly updated to newest firmware. Then the problems began. It will now turn off on its own every few minutes and then turn back on like it never happened. I was even able to get it on video (attached). I've tried a power cycle, a factory reset, even switched outlets to double check that it wasnt a power issue. All it is connected to is a Vizio soundbar, DirecTV Genie, and a Nexus player but the problem happens on all inputs (including apps). Am I just cursed or do you have any other suggestions that might be able to fix this?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxy2tio0t6...18_01.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by Berto Maia; 12-11-2015 at 07:28 PM.
post #7887 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 09:26 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto Maia View Post
Ok everyone, back again with my third M65 and this one is a "re-certified" replacement directly from Vizio. First tv had terrible banding, second was bit by the panel bug where it turned off on its own and the backlight never came back on (both from Amazon). Got this one delivered today, set it all up and it quickly updated to newest firmware. Then the problems began. It will now turn off on its own every few minutes and then turn back on like it never happened. I was even able to get it on video (attached). I've tried a power cycle, a factory reset, even switched outlets to double check that it wasnt a power issue. All it is connected to is a Vizio soundbar, DirecTV Genie, and a Nexus player but the problem happens on all inputs (including apps). Am I just cursed or do you have any other suggestions that might be able to fix this?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxy2tio0t6...18_01.mp4?dl=0
Try with nothing else connected. Just use the apps for now.
post #7888 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey Guys first post... Thanks a lot for all this great info you have all inputted!

I am getting my M Series M55-C2 delivered here in a few days and I have some questions concerning my setup...

I currently have an Onkyo 7.1 ht-r590 receiver with my gaming systems (PS3/PS4/XboxOne), DirectV, and Roku all hooked into it running to my HDTV.

So nothing passing through the Onkyo will be 4k due to it not being 4k capable. I believe my receiver has a audio return channel input, so an hdmi from that input directly to the Vizio will allow 7.1 with the smart apps on the TV correct? I will just need to change a setting to bitstream audio?

The Roku 4 also has a optical audio out. So running that to the receiver will allow me to have 4k video and 7.1 audio correct? Should I even bother with the ARC input and just run the optical from the Roku? Or would it be smart to have the internal apps and the roku all setup for surround? Am I missing anything? Thanks for reading my rant.
post #7889 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer-JLD View Post
Hey Guys first post... Thanks a lot for all this great info you have all inputted!

I am getting my M Series M55-C2 delivered here in a few days and I have some questions concerning my setup...

I currently have an Onkyo 7.1 ht-r590 receiver with my gaming systems (PS3/PS4/XboxOne), DirectV, and Roku all hooked into it running to my HDTV.

So nothing passing through the Onkyo will be 4k due to it not being 4k capable. I believe my receiver has a audio return channel input, so an hdmi from that input directly to the Vizio will allow 7.1 with the smart apps on the TV correct? I will just need to change a setting to bitstream audio?

The Roku 4 also has a optical audio out. So running that to the receiver will allow me to have 4k video and 7.1 audio correct? Should I even bother with the ARC input and just run the optical from the Roku? Or would it be smart to have the internal apps and the roku all setup for surround? Am I missing anything? Thanks for reading my rant.

Plug one end to HDMI 1 on your TV and plug the other end into the ARC capable output on your AVR.

If you run optical from the R4 and HDMI to the TV then you are limited to 5.1 I believe (DD/DTS only). You would get 4K streaming as long as the R4 is plugged into HDMI 2 or 5 (assuming 1 is taken by your AVR).

Sent from nowhere
Ian N and Beamer-JLD like this.
post #7890 of 16418 Old 12-11-2015, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Plug one end to HDMI 1 on your TV and plug the other end into the ARC capable output on your AVR.

If you run optical from the R4 and HDMI to the TV then you are limited to 5.1 I believe (DD/DTS only). You would get 4K streaming as long as the R4 is plugged into HDMI 2 or 5 (assuming 1 is taken by your AVR).

Sent from nowhere
Ahhh, I didn't know on the M, there is two HDMI ports that can handle 4k, unlike the P which only have one HDMI slot that can handle 4k.

No longer looking straight into a flashlight. Calibrate!
2014 Vizio P60 1.3.26-UHD Settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page