Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread - Page 329 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11319Likes

post #9841 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBot View Post
Does it jump immediately from a low setting to 100% or does it increase step by step as if you had held down the vol up button on the remote? If it's the latter, it's probably the buttons on the back of your TV being automatically pressed by the back cover (some M60s have this issue). IF that's the case, you can try loosening the screws around the back buttons a bit to see if it helps.
Wow. That was an impressive and intuitive response. I never once thought of the physical hardware buttons on the TV itself.

To answer your question the volume increases incrementally from whatever level it's at until it reaches 100. Exactly as if someone was hammering the volume button. My first thought was that I was dealing with a defective remote in the setup somehow. Again, it never occurred to me that the physical buttons on the TV itself were the issue.

I haven't completely vetted this out but, after playing with the buttons on the rear of the appliance, I am sure that you're spot on. As far as I can tell, the buttons are either "sticky" or are defective. I will spend more time playing with it to determine. Fortunately this TV is relatively brand new and is still under warranty.

I will add a follow-on comment that I have never bought a Tier 2 TV brand in my life. I did this time as this set will be rarely used and the specs/price point on the Vizio M-Series were too good to say no to. Life lesson: You get the quality that you pay for.
GorillaBot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey all , Happy New Year . I am in a bit of dilemma and would appreciate anyone here that can chime in with there opinion. I been very happy the past few years with my 60'' Panny Plasma and still am , its my main TV i use but recently have moved and been using a small 32'' phillips lcd in the bedroom that is quite old and honestly picture quality compared to my panny is Sh** , i thought it would be fine for the bedroom but since i been working late hours and getting home and going to the bedroom mostly i kind of want a upgrade. Next year i will prob get a big 4k for the living room and figure out what to do with the Panny when the time comes. For now i been eyeing the Vizio M43-C1 and the Lg 43UF6430 or 6400 , I am pissed i kinda missed out on cyber monday deals but i am hoping super bowl brings some nice sales. I wanted your opinions between the two if you can help and what you think is best ? I am sure it will be more biased towards the vizio since i am asking on the vizio forum but anything would help me greatly. This will mostly be used for streaming via netflix , amazon and also reg cable tv watching via verizon cable , i believe verizon outputs 720p or 1080i through the cable box and i am hoping it upconverts nicely.
post #9843 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
You mean depending on color temperature setting (Normal, Computer, Cool)?
I mean if you put up a white test pattern, the uniformity on the screen will slightly shift from blueish to redish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9844 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
I mean if you put up a white test pattern, the uniformity on the screen will slightly shift from blueish to redish.
Are you sitting directly in front of the screen or off-angle? You'll see a hue shift across the screen if you're sitting off angle.
VBB and GorillaBot like this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #9845 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyarndt View Post
Wow. That was an impressive and intuitive response. I never once thought of the physical hardware buttons on the TV itself.

To answer your question the volume increases incrementally from whatever level it's at until it reaches 100. Exactly as if someone was hammering the volume button. My first thought was that I was dealing with a defective remote in the setup somehow. Again, it never occurred to me that the physical buttons on the TV itself were the issue.

I haven't completely vetted this out but, after playing with the buttons on the rear of the appliance, I am sure that you're spot on. As far as I can tell, the buttons are either "sticky" or are defective. I will spend more time playing with it to determine. Fortunately this TV is relatively brand new and is still under warranty.

I will add a follow-on comment that I have never bought a Tier 2 TV brand in my life. I did this time as this set will be rarely used and the specs/price point on the Vizio M-Series were too good to say no to. Life lesson: You get the quality that you pay for.
Yes, definitely sounds like the buttons are the issue... you're not the first one with this particular problem!
All of the buttons should give a click that you can hear and feel when you push them. If any of them (specially vol+) feels sticky or mushy, that's almost certainly the issue.
If you are otherwise happy with the set, you should really try loosening the 3 philips screws around the keys a couple of turns and see if the keys become clicky again. They are probably off just by a millimeter or so... This will not void your warranty or affect the stability of your TV in any way and, if it works, it's WAY easier than going through the warranty repair process.
post #9846 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBot View Post
M75 is special among the M series and most likely uses a different platform than the rest.
I don't think 1.3.15 was ever released for M75... and none of the other models ever got 1.2.24. They all went from 1.2.23 to 1.3.15.
I believe 1.2.24 IS the latest firmware for M75.
thanks
post #9847 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I read lots of post here everyday Ron. I had a few specific questions.

No offense taken. (Was just referring you back to my original, long winded, post so I didn't have to repeat myself.) I do appreciate your taking an interest.

Quote:
Give Yamaha a call.

Yeah, I am afraid that is the next step. But I would feel more comfortable making the call if I could isolate whether it is a Vizio issue or a Yamaha one.

In any event, thank you for responding.
VBB likes this.
post #9848 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:33 PM

Liked: 10
Has anyone experienced what looks like a permanent reside or film on their m70's. When I am watching the tv at certain angles there looks to be a smudgy irregular honey comb on the entire screen mainly in dark scenes. I tried to wipe it with an appropriate soft cloth but it does not come off. Thoughts?
post #9849 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post
My M75-C1 Firmeware is 1.3.15-UHD It was updated about 3 weeks ago.
wait, what? hmmmm. so the M75 then is not the white unicorn we thought it was. did you notice any change? thx

[this thread moves too darn fast for me to keep up.... ]
post #9850 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
No offense taken. (Was just referring you back to my original, long winded, post so I didn't have to repeat myself.) I do appreciate your taking an interest.

Yeah, I am afraid that is the next step. But I would feel more comfortable making the call if I could isolate whether it is a Vizio issue or a Yamaha one.

It's either a port conflict/assignment thing, an HDMI setting or it's likely broken. I suppose the Vizio might not be working correctly as well.

Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #9851 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post
I'm on my third M75. This one seems "good enough". All three have had 1.2.24 and have never upgraded. The current one has been connected to the Internet for a couple months now, with multiple service checks over time. Zero updates. There have been at least two updates for the other models since I've had mine, so I don't subscribe to the theory that all of the fixes are already into 1.2.24.

I've got some light DSE...I'm going to try the "light pressure on screen with a cloth like it's being cleaned" solution and see if that makes it any better.

The only thing I really have a problem with at this point, and it's really not that much of a problem, is going from light to dark scenes (or vice versa), I can see the different zones turning on/off. I suspect lowering the backlight even further might alleviate some of this, as well as calibrating it better.

I've been looking at the i1Display Pro and think I'm going to get it and begin my first foray into learning basic calibration. What's the worst that's going to happen? I have to factory reset the display and start over. I already know what my current values are, so no big deal.

Edit: And then there's this...
we should post pics of our panels to compare DSE, banding, etc. Mine is very slight (to my eyes) and did get better with the pressure/cloth method. 95% of the time I love the picture quality of the thing, but notice minor issues with hockey games and the odd split screen effect during panning shots with NFL. but then again, I "only" paid 2K for it. perhaps a separate thread for M75 only...?
post #9852 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:42 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_W View Post
Has anyone experienced what looks like a permanent reside or film on their m70's. When I am watching the tv at certain angles there looks to be a smudgy irregular honey comb on the entire screen mainly in dark scenes. I tried to wipe it with an appropriate soft cloth but it does not come off. Thoughts?
You sure that's not artifacts you're seeing? Very common in dark scenes with less-than-stellar material.

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | Denon AVR-X3500H | ELAC Uni-Fi x7 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
post #9853 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
It's either a port conflict/assignment thing, an HDMI setting.. .

I think we have pretty much ruled out those causes. I may be wrong, however, if someone would only point out what I missed... please.
post #9854 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samba1 View Post
we should post pics of our panels to compare DSE, banding, etc. Mine is very slight (to my eyes) and did get better with the pressure/cloth method. 95% of the time I love the picture quality of the thing, but notice minor issues with hockey games and the odd split screen effect during panning shots with NFL. but then again, I "only" paid 2K for it. perhaps a separate thread for M75 only...?
I have no doubt that by the time most of us by our next tv, DSE will be a thing of the past. For now, the panel technology at this price point seems to have it's limitations.

post #9855 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:44 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ron, you're not using an active HDMI cable between the TV and the AVR, are you? Like a RedMere.
thomasfxlt likes this.

Henry

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
post #9856 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:47 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A white test pattern on my M70 is just white all across. No uniformity issues.

Henry

post #9857 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by samba1 View Post
wait, what? hmmmm. so the M75 then is not the white unicorn we thought it was. did you notice any change? thx

[this thread moves too darn fast for me to keep up.... ]
I did not notice any apparent changes when the set upgraded to the latest firmware. Apparently the M series gets minor updates all the time but it is not reflected in the Firmware #. When these minor updates happened the TV does not tell you upon boot up like when major firmware updates happen. The reason I say this is because I was on the phone recently with Vizio and they had me do a Service Check, turn the TV off and wait about 3 minutes. When I turned the TV back on there was no notice of an update occurring. I mentioned this to the Tech and he said that only happens on major updates. He said they're pushing out minor updates all the time.

Vizio PX75-g1 Go Big or Go Home
post #9858 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think we have pretty much ruled out those causes. I may be wrong, however, if someone would only point out what I missed... please.
There's some funny things in these circuits and sometimes something is disabled by a setting that is seemingly unrelated. Maybe you've read the manual from cover to cover already. Have you posted in the Yamaha AVR threads?

post #9859 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 03:54 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post
I did not notice any apparent changes when the set upgraded to the latest firmware. Apparently the M series gets minor updates all the time but it is not reflected in the Firmware #. When these minor updates happened the TV does not tell you upon boot up like when major firmware updates happen. The reason I say this is because I was on the phone recently with Vizio and they had me do a Service Check, turn the TV off and wait about 3 minutes. When I turned the TV back on there was no notice of an update occurring. I mentioned this to the Tech and he said that only happens on major updates. He said they're pushing out minor updates all the time.
I wouldn't believe that for a second. Maybe he meant that there are updates to the apps outside of firmware. That would be correct.
Ph8te, thomasfxlt and GorillaBot like this.

Henry

post #9860 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Ron, you're not using an active HDMI cable between the TV and the AVR, are you? Like a RedMere.

Excellent question. I had tried about ten different HDMI cable, all of which were of suspect age and specs -- some old some new -- but all unlabeled. I, then, ordered an up-to-date HDMI cable from Amazon (that's why it took so long to start this thread). That is what I used in the process that I outlined above.

I did, however, order a Forspark Prime High Speed HDMI Cable (http://www.forspark.com/msg.php?id=155&fid=155) that I received on the same day as the Amazon one. In my frustrated frame of mind, I completely forgot about it. (FWIW, the reason I didn't use it was that it was 10 feet long and the Amazon was a 3 foot model.

Oh, I don't want to go through all that testing again just to test a different cable. Nevertheless, you are correct there are three parts to the puzzle not two -- Vizio, Yamaha, and the cable.
VBB and thomasfxlt like this.
post #9861 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 04:00 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post
Hey all , Happy New Year . I am in a bit of dilemma and would appreciate anyone here that can chime in with there opinion. I been very happy the past few years with my 60'' Panny Plasma and still am , its my main TV i use but recently have moved and been using a small 32'' phillips lcd in the bedroom that is quite old and honestly picture quality compared to my panny is Sh** , i thought it would be fine for the bedroom but since i been working late hours and getting home and going to the bedroom mostly i kind of want a upgrade. Next year i will prob get a big 4k for the living room and figure out what to do with the Panny when the time comes. For now i been eyeing the Vizio M43-C1 and the Lg 43UF6430 or 6400 , I am pissed i kinda missed out on cyber monday deals but i am hoping super bowl brings some nice sales. I wanted your opinions between the two if you can help and what you think is best ? I am sure it will be more biased towards the vizio since i am asking on the vizio forum but anything would help me greatly. This will mostly be used for streaming via netflix , amazon and also reg cable tv watching via verizon cable , i believe verizon outputs 720p or 1080i through the cable box and i am hoping it upconverts nicely.
Happy New Year. I would go with the Vizio, not because I'm biased, but because the LG has an IPS panel, which means much lower contrast (but better viewing angles) and is edge-lit.

Henry

post #9862 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 04:04 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh, I don't want to go through all that testing again just to test a different cable. Nevertheless, you are correct there are three parts to the puzzle not two -- Vizio, Yamaha, and the cable.
To be honest, I don't think it's the cable or the TV. It's most likely somewhere in the AVR, like thomasfxlt suggested. CEC/ARC can be a real pain to troubleshoot.

Henry

post #9863 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Are you sitting directly in front of the screen or off-angle? You'll see a hue shift across the screen if you're sitting off angle.
Well, come to think of it I'm 8' from an 80" TV so although I sit center that may account for the shift. Thanks for that.
post #9864 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, come to think of it I'm 8' from an 80" TV so although I sit center that may account for the shift. Thanks for that.
From that distance I'd bet this is what you are seeing.
GorillaBot likes this.

post #9865 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
There's some funny things in these circuits and sometimes something is disabled by a setting that is seemingly unrelated. Maybe you've read the manual from cover to cover already. Have you posted in the Yamaha AVR threads?
I'm inclined to agree with you being as I'm a retired Software Engineer/Systems Analyst/Database Manager. However it is possible. With Vizio nothing would surprise me. It is more likely that the apps themselves are the ones being updated.

Vizio PX75-g1 Go Big or Go Home
post #9866 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 05:48 PM

Liked: 14
My 75" vizio I had to get warranty done due to line going across screen, the replacement had latest Firmware already installed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160115_163941.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	1186674  
VBB likes this.
post #9867 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
No way to tell (that we know of). It's been everyone's assumption that the 60, 70, and 80 use Sharp panels, which makes sense, because Sharp is pretty much the only manufacturer for these even sizes. The bigger odd sizes (65 and 75) are supposedly made by AUO. Perhaps the smaller ones as well. Vizio doesn't do panel lottery, though. You always get the same panel in the same size TV, unlike Samsung.
Quote:
Once upon a time, somewhere on this forum, buried in some thread, I found a link to a website that lists all the panels and manufacturers. It showed all the technical specs of each panel, if it was in production. Really amazing site frankly. I unfortunately didn't save the link. By default it was determined that only certain sizes were being made by certain companies.
Thomas -

I believe this is the site you are referring to...

http://www.panelook.com/
VBB and thomasfxlt like this.
post #9868 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone have the rtings settings still? Family members tv had to be reset and they lost the setting, I checked for them and yep it is now off their site.
post #9869 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 06:37 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyrue View Post
Anyone have the rtings settings still? Family members tv had to be reset and they lost the setting, I checked for them and yep it is now off their site.
Check here, courtesy of johnbrooke26: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
johnbrooke26 and Mannyrue like this.

Henry

post #9870 of 16418 Old 01-15-2016, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Check here, courtesy of johnbrooke26: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Woot, this is just what I needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page