Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread - Page 400 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11319Likes

post #11971 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBot View Post
Congrats on your M60! I think you'll be happier with it in the long run (regardless of banding)
As for the banding/DSE, some users have been able to reduce it by gently massaging the screen with a microfiber cloth. I'd be wary of applying any significant amount of pressure to the panel.
Thanks! I think your right, it was certainly worth the extra money for the size and better specs.

I'm quite hesitant to apply any pressure to it, I would hate to make it worse. I cleaned it with an Insigna kit I purchased due to it having a bit of a haze out of the box. I didn't notice the banding prior, I'm hoping I wasn't the cause, but I was very careful to not press with excessive force.
GorillaBot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11972 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Just an update on my issues with the K8500. It turned out that it wouldn't display 4K because I was using two outputs on my receiver and apparently BOTH outputs need to be connected to an HDCP 2.2 device for either one to work. I had to disconnect and only run one cable for it to work. After I got it working I would still get extremely sluggish resolution changing on my receiver to the point that the screen would go black any time I stopped a video or went to the menu in Netflix. I just decided to scrap the whole thing, return the receiver and run an HDMI directly to the TV which solves everything.
VBB and tmuka like this.
post #11973 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Witt View Post
I bought the M50-C1 this past weekend at Costco and I am finding this TV doesn't have a good picture running my Charter HDTV
I have tinkered with the calibration with it between the "calibrated" and "calibrated dark" pictures and both have a really color heavy washed out look to it...
The best looking picture I get is with the "computer" picture..it's the closest thing I get to my old Vizio 42"

I am considering taking the TV back because it's such a giant step backward when it comes to the cable tv

I am happy with my PS4's look and the 4k Netflix streaming..is this TV not equipped to handle cable tv?
Motion blur is bad and I cannot watch WWE on it all..the blinking lights kill the TV

Right now my cable box is connected to TV in HDMI 1 spot

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
Use the settings from the link in my signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11974 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Do you have anything on HDMI input 1? You should always use HDMI 1 before HDMI 2. HDMI 1 can do everything HDMI 2 can do except for HDMI also adds ARC support which is great for getting the streaming audio from apps.
I prefer to not use HDMI 1 with ARC. I have my satellite box, bluray & Roku 3 hooked up to my Denon and an HDMI cable from the Denon to the M60. I get full 9 channel sound & picture with this setup on all sources
tmuka likes this.

post #11975 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
I prefer to not use HDMI 1 with ARC. I have my satellite box, bluray & Roku 3 hooked up to my Denon and an HDMI cable from the Denon to the M60. I get full 9 channel sound & picture with this setup on all sources
Why not use ARC? There is no downside to it?
VBB likes this.
post #11976 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 661
I picked up the M43-C1 for my gaming display in my bedroom and so far I am not liking it. I have spent awhile using my WOW disc to try and adjust it,but colors seem off and blacks always seem to be crushed. Most faces in movies,especially in low light scenes seem to have a yellow tint to them.
Watching guardians of the galaxy the opening temple sequence was lacking in detail and finer details. While StarLord seemed to be jaundice with slightly rosie cheeks.
It handles motion fairly well,but in inputs 1-4 with low latency mode I can definitely feel substantial lag.
I also have an M50,but it doesn't exhibit any of these issues.
post #11977 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
I picked up the M43-C1 for my gaming display in my bedroom and so far I am not liking it. I have spent awhile using my WOW disc to try and adjust it,but colors seem off and blacks always seem to be crushed. Most faces in movies,especially in low light scenes seem to have a yellow tint to them.
Watching guardians of the galaxy the opening temple sequence was lacking in detail and finer details. While StarLord seemed to be jaundice with slightly rosie cheeks.
It handles motion fairly well,but in inputs 1-4 with low latency mode I can definitely feel substantial lag.
I also have an M50,but it doesn't exhibit any of these issues.
Did you try these settings?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post39178938

Display - LG OLED
Receiver - Denon
Speakers - Klipsch
Subs - Rythmik
post #11978 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
sounds like with the roku you're not using the Vizio apps so no need for the ARC.

I'd better quit following this thread while I'm happy with my TV and content with my old 5.1 onkyo. I need to do some research to even know what I'm missing from 9 channels!
VBB likes this.
post #11979 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Use the settings from the link in my signature.
Thank you for reply!!

I used your settings and I am finding the picture still isn't right..faces seem to change colors...almost like they're being painted (if that makes sense)...I had a commercial where the whites almost seemed to pulse with pink colors (again like they're being painted)...it seems almost everything is in standard definition now...some commercials look fantastic

My old Vizio 42" HDTV blows this one away....I am wondering if this thing is defective...thats how underwhelming the picture is
post #11980 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by techobrien View Post
Your findings agree with what I discovered with my AMD card (Full / Limited RGB and ycbcr 4:4:4, 4k60) using the same DP to HDMI adapter. My post was 19-20 pages back (Post 41183873)
My image looks very similar with next to no chroma bleed on any lines of the text. I'll see if I can take a picture.
Apologies for missing this part of your post. I clearly remember reading it, but I completely forgot about the DP to HDMI part of your post. Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techobrien View Post
Maybe the chip on nvidia cards are in fact only half-bandwidth instead of the chips in the TV?
I don't think that is the case. I use a similar card (GTX 980ti) on my setup wht the JU7100, and I get full RGB/4:4:4 and "quick brown fox" text with no artifact whatsover. So, it is clear to me the GTX 980 is able to send a full signal.

As an FYI, I spend some time this morning playing with EDID with the following tools:

* MonInfo to extract the EDID data from the Vizio.

* Custom Resolution Utility to import the info extracted above, and try to add the [email protected] 4:4:4 mode to the nVidia control panel.

I also extract the EDID info from my JU7100 monitor to see the differences.

Anyways, the only think I manged until now is getting a "blank" screen from the Vizio when trying to send a full RGB [email protected] signal to it. The "System Information" panel of the Vizio shows "blank" for resolution and frequency, and the screen shows "No Signal" after a few seconds.

The one thing I noticed is that the JU7100 reports "Maximum pixel frequency of 600MHZ", while the Vizio reports "300MHZ".

It would be interesting to run the same tools with the Radeon to see if we get different data for the Vizio.
VBB likes this.
post #11981 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
Up until last night I would have said not possible due to the older chipset, which we've always assumed cannot do 18Gbps. With mpgxsvcd's reporting on how the UHD Blu-ray player outputs the signal, we can't be sure about anything anymore. So, while it may or may not be possible to actually upgrade the 2.0 port, it still wouldn't make any sense to do so, because the TV is simply not capable of wide color gamut and the brightness necessary for HDR.
Hello
Since mpgxsvcd prouved the Vizio M series can read HDR 4;4;4 content on input 5 with the Samsung blu-ray player, does it mean we can convert all other four inputs to read 4K60p, 4;4;4 HDR by adding the HD fury integral device on each input to convert other HDMI inputs to 2.0a?

https://www.hdfury.com/shop/splitter...60-444-600mhz/
post #11982 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 03:22 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandion View Post
Hello
Since mpgxsvcd prouved the Vizio M series can read HDR 4;4;4 content on input 5 with the Samsung blu-ray player, does it mean we can convert all other four inputs to read 4K60p, 4;4;4 HDR by adding the HD fury integral device on each input to convert other HDMI inputs to 2.0a?

https://www.hdfury.com/shop/splitter...60-444-600mhz/
I think you misunderstand what the HD Fury device does. It cannot convert an HDMI port that is capable of up to 4K @ 30Hz to 60Hz. It also does not turn a 2.0 HDMI port into 2.0a. So, nothing changes as far as the M goes, other than that it may or may not be able to do proper 4:4:4. I am not convinced until I see a screenshot of a non-scaled 1:1 "quick brown fox", like this one here: http://i.imgur.com/unbaVUt.png

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | VIZIO M70-C3 | Denon AVR-X3500H | Elac Uni-Fi | Elac Debut 2.0 SUB3030
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
post #11983 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

Is it better to have external devices...Blu-ray...Xbox...Roku etc - set the color space to [AUTO] or [YcbCr/RGB]?
I have the M50 and hook up direct to the TV.

Thanks!
post #11984 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rendo View Post
Apologies for missing this part of your post. I clearly remember reading it, but I completely forgot about the DP to HDMI part of your post. Sorry!

I don't think that is the case. I use a similar card (GTX 980ti) on my setup wht the JU7100, and I get full RGB/4:4:4 and "quick brown fox" text with no artifact whatsover. So, it is clear to me the GTX 980 is able to send a full signal.

As an FYI, I spend some time this morning playing with EDID with the following tools:

* MonInfo to extract the EDID data from the Vizio.

* Custom Resolution Utility to import the info extracted above, and try to add the [email protected] 4:4:4 mode to the nVidia control panel.

I also extract the EDID info from my JU7100 monitor to see the differences.

Anyways, the only think I manged until now is getting a "blank" screen from the Vizio when trying to send a full RGB [email protected] signal to it. The "System Information" panel of the Vizio shows "blank" for resolution and frequency, and the screen shows "No Signal" after a few seconds.

The one thing I noticed is that the JU7100 reports "Maximum pixel frequency of 600MHZ", while the Vizio reports "300MHZ".

It would be interesting to run the same tools with the Radeon to see if we get different data for the Vizio.

Hey there.. apologies if you said this before.. curious if you have managed to get 60hz at 2560x1440 with the 980?

From my previous post:
With the M70-c3 (and i also have the 43" i will try as well)..

At 4k 3840 x 2160 i can hit 60hz and 4:2:0 (max)
at 2560x1440 i can ONLY hit 30hz and 4:4:4
at 1080p i can hit 120hz and 4:4:4

Basically, i'm going to use the 43" for netflix and possibly p3D at 2560x1440 but at 30hz, which should be fine for this sim, since at that res it normally doesnt go above 30 fps on hard hitting scenery..

I'm guessing that 2560x1440 is fine for netflix and possibly fine for p3d even at 30hz, since its basically a "game" though not in the technical sense

I just wish there was a way to hack it to 60hz at 2560, but custom res doesnt work for me (in the nvidia panel).

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com
Just Plane Crazy: http://flight-stew.com
post #11985 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
SIAP, but do i assume apps like netflix receive updates over time right? Is it automatic, are we notified? Netflix locks up 50% of the time when scrolling to a different time in the program after i hit play. Hope they fix that bug...
post #11986 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is this soap opera affect i am seeing? When watching a certain show on netflix i see blurring in dark scenes when there is movement. Looks kind of like a ghost moving.
post #11987 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 05:55 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chkelly View Post
SIAP, but do i assume apps like netflix receive updates over time right? Is it automatic, are we notified? Netflix locks up 50% of the time when scrolling to a different time in the program after i hit play. Hope they fix that bug...
Apps update automatically and indepently, yes. I have never seen a notification.

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | VIZIO M70-C3 | Denon AVR-X3500H | Elac Uni-Fi | Elac Debut 2.0 SUB3030
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
post #11988 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 05:58 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is this soap opera affect i am seeing? When watching a certain show on netflix i see blurring in dark scenes when there is movement. Looks kind of like a ghost moving.
What are your Reduce Judder and Reduce Motion Blur settings? I start noticing the soap opera effect at RJ 3. Blurring is the opposite, though. If you notice excessive blurring, set RJ/RMB to 2 or higher.

Henry

post #11989 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 9
M70

Well, I've done all the resets and have tried everyone's settings. I still get white blowout. This often happens even on direct BluRay over HDMI. (I'm using an older model Sony BluRay player over HDMI directly to the unit on HDMI 1.) Usually when there's a portion of the picture in bright light, such as out a window or a door when it's daytime outside. I've even tried the Auto Brightness Control. The picture otherwise is adequate at best. I hate to play with the Contrast setting and turning it down doesn't help much. Any ideas?

BTW, I am into mpgxsvcd's suggestion of using the "computer" color tone setting (NOT the "Computer" picture preset) because it gets rid of the yellow overly warm tone I otherwise get on "natural".

I'm on v. 1.2.23.

Help.
post #11990 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
The thread has pics already posted showing what resolutions works for 4:4:4 at [email protected] and [email protected] and below. Wait, isn't that the picture I took lol?
I don't know if that helps or not
Hi Mboojigga. Seriously, you've just made some random Internet stranger (i.e. - me) very happy with the time you took to take those photos. Thank you. I've been spending every evening after the kids go down in order to try a million different configurations in an attempt to get 4:4:4 working. I'm assuming my M60-C3 should act the same once I get a new HTPC videocard that can do 120Hz @ 1080p. Now that I know that I can run in at least one res with 4:4:4, I'll be keeping the TV now

If you don't mind me asking, what Nvidia card are you using?
tmuka likes this.
post #11991 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 06:00 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymeeee View Post
Hello!

Is it better to have external devices...Blu-ray...Xbox...Roku etc - set the color space to [AUTO] or [YcbCr/RGB]?
I have the M50 and hook up direct to the TV.

Thanks!
AUTO on both sides should be just fine, in most cases. You only want to set the TV to RGB if your player is also set to RGB.

Henry

post #11992 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 06:07 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHigh View Post
M70

Well, I've done all the resets and have tried everyone's settings. I still get white blowout. This often happens even on direct BluRay over HDMI. (I'm using an older model Sony BluRay player over HDMI directly to the unit on HDMI 1.) Usually when there's a portion of the picture in bright light, such as out a window or a door when it's daytime outside. I've even tried the Auto Brightness Control. The picture otherwise is adequate at best. I hate to play with the Contrast setting and turning it down doesn't help much. Any ideas?

BTW, I am into mpgxsvcd's suggestion of using the "computer" color tone setting (NOT the "Computer" picture preset) because it gets rid of the yellow overly warm tone I otherwise get on "natural".

I'm on v. 1.2.23.

Help.
It's odd that you haven't received a newer firmware yet (not necessarily the latest, but newer than 1.2.23). You do have the TV connected to the Internet, right? Regarding the whites, have you put up a contrast pattern to see if the TV is clipping? You should download this free disc: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

Henry

post #11993 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
In 'More picture options' go to Reduce Noise, and turn both options off.
I had the same problem with my M55, and turning off noise reduction fixed the problem.
I mostly saw it in high quality sources, on my satellite box input I left that on and it's mostly ok.
VBB likes this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #11994 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 06:21 PM

"Is this soap opera affect i am seeing?"

Motion pictures shot on film generally are and have been shot at and display at 24 frames per second (fps). This means the viewer sees 24 pictures every second.

When filmed material is transferred to a digital format and displayed over a television that operates at 120Hz, the equivalent of 120 frames per second, the television must repeat each original frame, shot at 24 fps, five times before moving on to showing next frame, again showing that next frame five times, and so on, in order to replicate the source material accurately in terms of frames per second.

Your television is equipped to guess the difference between 24fps and 60fps to create a so-called seamless experience (if so desired). Instead of showing a frame five times before moving on to the next frame, your television essentially guesses what the picture should have been had it been shot at, say, 48 or 60fps. It then substitutes the interpolated frame for one of the original transfers.

The result is a much more seamless motion picture. The television is designed to make 24fps material appear as if it were shot in 48 or 60 fps, and it does a good job, of it.

WAIT! TOO GOOD OF A JOB OF IT. Everything looks like a soap opera.
tmuka likes this.
post #11995 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 06:32 PM

"Is this soap opera affect i am seeing?"

Motion pictures shot on film generally are and have been shot at and display at 24 frames per second (fps). This means the viewer sees 24 pictures every second.

When filmed material is transferred to a digital format and displayed over a television that operates at 120Hz, the equivalent of 120 frames per second, the television must repeat each original frame, shot at 24 fps, five times before moving on to showing next frame, again showing that next frame five times, and so on, in order to replicate the source material accurately in terms of frames per second.

Your television is equipped to guess the difference between 24fps and 60fps to create a so-called seamless experience (if so desired). Instead of showing a frame five times before moving on to the next frame, your television essentially guesses what the picture should have been had it been shot at, say, 48 or 60fps. It then substitutes the interpolated frame for one of the original transfers.

The result is a much more seamless motion picture. The television is designed to make 24fps material appear as if it were shot in 48 or 60 fps, and it does a good job, of it.

WAIT! TOO GOOD OF A JOB OF IT. Everything looks like a soap opera.
post #11996 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Random anecdotal experience for the night....

I was intrigued by mpgxsvcd's findings with regard to the clear action setting and sub-60fps videogames as well as the theory of backlight strobing itself that I wanted to give it a try in everyday viewing. And while I did find that that motion handling was somewhat improved, I had severely crushed blacks with most viewing on Fios, despite cranking the backlight and dropping gamma to 2.0. The tradeoff is not worth it imo. I know most people don't turn this setting on anyway, but thought I'd share my findings with TV sources at least.
post #11997 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 06:37 PM

@VBB -- Yes, I'm connected. Sigh. So there is a newer version? Thank you so much for the link. That's next. And apologies for the double posts. Noob and an apparent idiot, here.
post #11998 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 06:44 PM

VBB, if you wouldn't mind, could you post a quickie fresher on test patterns and clipping? I'm all duh here.
post #11999 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm wanting to buy the 43" and 60" m series but it appears on Amazon that these might be replaced soon. Is this true, or should I go ahead and get both of these tv's now?

Chris
post #12000 of 16411 Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I had just got two refurbished from Walmart of the 43" on sale for 350. not here yet. hoping a good deal but I added 3 year asurion Walmart care plans for 36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page