Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread - Page 426 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11319Likes

post #12751 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
Is this with Active LED on or off? Did you make any changes to the Color Tuner settings? If so, try a reset just for that section and see if it goes away.
Yes I had made the changes recommended on this thread before watching the movie for "Computer". I should have mentioned that. So I did do the color tuner reset & the splotches ARE GONE. However I noticed when I went back into the color tuner to make the +5 Red -5 Blue "Offset" changes is when the red splotches come back. When they're at 0, the screen is completely pitch black. I'm leaving them at 0 now needless to say.

Last edited by tkbryant; 03-02-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12752 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked: 6182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post
Yes I had made the changes recommended on this thread before watching the movie for "Computer". I should have mentioned that. So I did do the color tuner reset & the splotches ARE GONE. However I noticed when I went back into the color tuner to make the +5 Red -5 Blue "Offset" changes is when the red splotches come back. When they're at 0, the screen is completely pitch black. I'm leaving them at 0 now needless to say.
Glad it cleared that up. What firmware are you on?

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #12753 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Glad it cleared that up. What firmware are you on?
Yes, thanks for your help!! My firmware shows 1.3.15. It updated about two weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12754 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked: 6182
Quote:
Yes, thanks for your help!! My firmware shows 1.3.15. It updated about two weeks ago.
VBB gave you the tip. I was just wondering if you had the latest firmware. There is a 1.3.15b

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #12755 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze Time View Post
Thanks for that. I wasn't looking in people sigs for settings. I will check it out.

Here is what I mean about the lines
https://youtu.be/r9oOB5zeLgM?t=4m

At 4 min into that video, he demonstrates what I am referring to.
Gotchya, so some people think that for 30fps games the motion handling is not so great, though it was much improved after the initial firmware (not sure what firmware is on that tv, if it's an old review, its definitely better now.) I personally don't notice it too much, but maybe I've just never had a set that handled it well. But for 60fps content it really looks great imo.
post #12756 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
VBB gave you the tip. I was just wondering if you had the latest firmware. There is a 1.3.15b
Ah, just noticed that, been a long day. = ) I don't have the "B" version just yet. I was running the CNET settings before yesterday but I was getting a green tinge on skin tones but only til recently & especially noticeable on UHD Blu-ray. Does Vizio's Firmware updates alter settings?
post #12757 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cecil View Post
To the guy who asked about the gaming. Im a huge game i also have the 55m series with an xbox one. No lines at all and ive played fps, sports, rpg, racing etc. no issues. What was your great deal on the tv?
I showed the youtube video to demonstrate what I am referring to. Maybe you just don't notice or maybe you have it set up in a way the guy in the video doesn't. Please refer to the help me choose an LCD thread about my deal. If you don't want to click on the thread and see how I got the deal, to sum it up, the TV was $479 and then I used my gift card amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutty View Post
Gotchya, so some people think that for 30fps games the motion handling is not so great, though it was much improved after the initial firmware (not sure what firmware is on that tv, if it's an old review, its definitely better now.) I personally don't notice it too much, but maybe I've just never had a set that handled it well. But for 60fps content it really looks great imo.
Yeah, he was playing Fallout 4 which is not the greatest game to showcase your M55 with but it still is an issue. I am a HUGE Fallout fan so I will be disappointed if there is not an option to fix the lines. He mentions that only games with fast movement are affected and I am hoping I just stop noticing after awhile.
post #12758 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 07:00 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
This makes sense, because you added red to and subtracted blue from the dark end (offset) of the grayscale. Without a meter there is just no way of knowing which numbers would end up being correct, so it's best to leave the entire Color Tuner section at defaults.

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | VIZIO M70-C3 | Denon AVR-X3500H | Elac Uni-Fi | Elac Debut 2.0 SUB3030
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
post #12759 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
This makes sense, because you added red to and subtracted blue from the dark end (offset) of the grayscale. Without a meter there is just no way of knowing which numbers would end up being correct, so it's best to leave the entire Color Tuner section at defaults.
The picture with these settings is just stunning. The Samsung UBD-K8500 output in RGB is just spectacular with this set. Both Ultra HD & regular Blu-rays look amazing. I'm watching Oblivion right now & I'm just blown away with how good it looks. The whites are near perfect without being blown out, no black crush & skin tones are damn near perfect.
VBB, zer0cool2007 and LG4k like this.
post #12760 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
I did the next best thing. I went over to my brother's place with same equipment and photographed his JS8500 in the exact same manner as my M80.

I will post the results tomorrow. However, I will say that the results with atleast the Mad Max movie were shocking!
What were the results? Haha....just pretty curious!
post #12761 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
i did the next best thing. I went over to my brother's place with same equipment and photographed his js8500 in the exact same manner as my m80.

I will post the results tomorrow. However, i will say that the results with atleast the mad max movie were shocking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
what were the results? Haha....just pretty curious!

Word!
post #12762 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
My computer didn't get back from repairs today so it is really hard for me to post. I should get my computer back tomorrow and I can post everything tomorrow night or Friday.
post #12763 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
My computer didn't get back from repairs today so it is really hard for me to post. I should get my computer back tomorrow and I can post everything tomorrow night or Friday.
Thanks bud - look forward to it.
post #12764 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Ok, I think this will be my last question until I actually start messing with my TV tomorrow (finally!).

If I'm going to calibrate it using my USB key (MP4 files) will that still carry over well when I watch/play content from my PS4, hence from another input? Or does that not matter, the inputs being completely separate from the setting profiles?
post #12765 of 16414 Old 03-02-2016, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
(Really apologize for double post, I'm on my phone)

Nevermind, I'm stupid. I'm just going to use the USB port on my PS4. Duh...
post #12766 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTremblayC View Post
(Really apologize for double post, I'm on my phone)

Nevermind, I'm stupid. I'm just going to use the USB port on my PS4. Duh...
Honestly, do it both ways. If you got the PS4 on HDMI5, and your cable box on HDMI1, you may want to at least check that your tuning is good on all inputs.

If you run separate picture settings for TV watching and PS4 gaming, set up two different choices for the inputs.

Setup the PS4 with GLL on, no Reduce Judder and enable RGB.
Then tweak your sharpness, contrast and other stuff to your liking.

Then put your USB drive into the USB slot and create another settings profile for TV watching.

You can create more profiles than you would really need. Setup one for Amazon, one for Netflix, one for Blu Ray, UHD Blu Ray, one for 4K videos you downloaded....
post #12767 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

We could not eliminate the noise no matter what we did but this player didn't have the new firmware so that was probably the issue.

Is there any chance that this was an HDMI problem? I remember years ago I had a few low spec HDMI cables that couldn't handle XV colour and 1080p. When setting up my WDTV at the time it is very specific when asking for target resolution, frame rate and colour depth. When I went to the top settings I had noise which was actually signalling errors. Dropping to 8 bit colour would make it go away (lower bandwidth required). Replacing with a higher spec cable also fixed it.

Just a thought. Store environments aren't well controlled and aren't always set up by qualified people.
post #12768 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrooke26 View Post
2015 Vizio M-series Calibration Settings Summary spreadsheet

Well I might be doing more harm than good here, but feel free to use this spreadsheet as a reference for nearly all the posts in this thread that offer calibration settings. It will always be a work in progress, but I'm committed to keeping it up to date while the forum is still active. I own an M65-C1. For those who have posted settings PM me to have changes made. FWIW the Awesome one is the one I tinker with but those from mpgxsvcd work great for my model. Thanks!
I picked up an M65 yesterday for a bedroom, SO, I'm jumping into this thread, 12,768 Posts-->YIKES!!

Started reading from the newest posted (Last Page) and discovered your work on "M-series Calibration Settings"...You've saved me Hours/Days/Weeks of searching for all the info you've compiled in your masterful spreadsheet.

"THANK-U"
johnbrooke26 and dave.me like this.
post #12769 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quick Questions:

Hello, great thread - still trying to read through the 400+ pages.

Two quick questions:

I purchased the Vizio M60 from Sam's Club and doing a price protection match through my discover card to match the walmart rollback price (in case any of you wanted to do the same).

Ok, I noticed the top corners of my tv screen appear slightly darker than the rest of the screen like a vignette of sorts - is this normal or should i return for a new set?

Second:

I currently have my cable box plugged in the HDMI 5 port and PS4 in HDMI 4 port. I am now realizing not all the ports are created equal, should I move these around? I do watch netflix more now through my vizio app than my ps4 app.

Oh - has anyone tried the THX tuning app for this television? I was going to try that out this weekend.

Thanks much for you help!
post #12770 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OTA tuner?

Hi!

New poster here (I did lurk a couple of times in the past though).

I registered to ask a specific question for which I'm almost certain of the answer, but I would like confirmation nonetheless. I'm considering buying the M43-C1 (or perhaps the M50-C1) because of the price and the great reviews it has received. However, I do not have cable and I plan on using my antenna to watch OTA programming (I'm in Montreal). However, I cannot find confirmation that the M series has an OTA tuner. Even in the official specs of the TV on Vizio's Website I can't see it. The only thing I can see that would indicate that a tuner is present are the following sentences :

''Select the type of tuner input you will be using. You can select either Antenna (Over-the-air) or Cable (Out-of-the-wall) connections.'' and ''A channel scan is required for free over-the-air channels (using an antenna)''

Source : m43c1manual.pdf

So... Can anyone please confirm that there is in fact an OTA Tuner in the M43-C1 or M50-C1?

Thanks a bunch!
post #12771 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxFuturexX View Post

Two quick questions:

I purchased the Vizio M60 from Sam's Club and doing a price protection match through my discover card to match the walmart rollback price (in case any of you wanted to do the same).

Ok, I noticed the top corners of my tv screen appear slightly darker than the rest of the screen like a vignette of sorts - is this normal or should i return for a new set?

Second:

I currently have my cable box plugged in the HDMI 5 port and PS4 in HDMI 4 port. I am now realizing not all the ports are created equal, should I move these around? I do watch netflix more now through my vizio app than my ps4 app.

Oh - has anyone tried the THX tuning app for this television? I was going to try that out this weekend.

1. The vignette effect is not normal I'd say, I would try to post some pics so others can chime in.

2. Popular opinion is PS4 on HDMI 5, you'll get lower input lag. 1-4 have better processing for low quality sources, you should put your cable box on 1.

3. You can try the app, but take it from someone who's read every single post in this thread. There are valid reasons to never adjust your brightness and contrast (for most viewing) and you should definitely not mess with the individual RGB color settings (outside of adjusting gray balance). The best advice I can give is to try mpgxsvcd's setting and give yourself a few days/ a week to get used to it. Enjoy!
post #12772 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 121
^ I was beaten to it

Quote:

Two quick questions:

Second:

I get some dark areas around the outside of the screen too, not a huge problem for me. I only notice it on my HTPC when I have windows like this page open.

I would put the PS4 in to HDMI5, and move the cable box to one of the other 4 inputs.

I've used the THX app, it was ok. I didn't find it to be great, the tint adjustment was off for me. I did use the color settings I got on there. However, I've since put everything back to default on Calibrated, and it looks pretty darn good. I bump the color down to 46-47, I found everything looked to red to me.

Your experience could be different though, and if it's free for you, it doesn't hurt to mess around. You can always reset the TV if you find you can't correct what you've done.

There is also AVS 709 for free, I used that and got a different result than the THX app. But like I said, I went back to default. The TV is pretty good, and accurate in one of the Calibrated modes.

Last edited by HVAC Guru; 03-03-2016 at 09:42 AM.
post #12773 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgus View Post
Hi!

New poster here (I did lurk a couple of times in the past though).
So... Can anyone please confirm that there is in fact an OTA Tuner in the M43-C1 or M50-C1?

Thanks a bunch!
Welcome! And yes, they definitely have an OTA tuner!
Not sure if you are already using OTA with another TV, but keep in mind that your location within the city and antenna type/position play a major role on what channels you can receive...
post #12774 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
I think a small amount of this is normal.
My M60 is slightly darker around the borders, but its a VERY small difference (I can only see it on bright scenes - like the 60+% flat test patterns) and it's only about 1/4 inch or so thick.
I believe it's just the backlight not fully reaching to the very edges of the panel. My previous M55 was the same way.
As Hutty said, we'll need pics of what you're seeing to tell if it's normal!
post #12775 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBot View Post
Welcome! And yes, they definitely have an OTA tuner!
Not sure if you are already using OTA with another TV, but keep in mind that your location within the city and antenna type/position play a major role on what channels you can receive...
Great thank you! And yes, I forgot to mention that I already use an external OTA tuner with an old 720p 26inch Samsung. I will enjoy the upgrade I think
Thanks again!
post #12776 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgus View Post

Thanks a bunch!
The OTA tuner on my M50 works very well. I am using a crude homemade indoor antenna made of a piece of wood and some coat hangers and can get some stations that are over 50 miles away. Of course your mileage may vary.
post #12777 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Use the arrow keys to select the skip ad button and click Ok.

Thanks. 'preciate it.
The Coolest likes this.
post #12778 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can someone please measure the distance between the inside wall mounting hole locations & distance from holes to side, top, bottom.

I'm gonna hang it with chains from the ceiling...I don't P/U set until this weekend end & can't find this bit of info.

EDIT: M-65

Last edited by HuskerHarley; 03-03-2016 at 02:07 PM.
post #12779 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post
Can someone please measure the distance between the inside wall mounting hole locations & distance from holes to side, top, bottom.

I'm gonna hang it with chains from the ceiling...I don't P/U set until this weekend end & can't find this bit of info.
Mentioning the size of the TV you have/are getting would probably help.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #12780 of 16414 Old 03-03-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Mentioning the size of the TV you have/are getting would probably help.

Guess it would help!! My Bad-->M-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page