Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread - Page 467 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11319Likes

post #13981 of 16407 Old 05-03-2016, 02:44 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedgimp View Post
Thanks! Should I calibrate the grey scale each time I watch a uhd bluray? I know i will have to switch the tv to rgb if I use the settings posted here but I really don't want to change the scale each time.

Also if I watch a regular bluray in the K8500 should I use my regular day to day calibration settings on the Vizio and change the K8500 profile back to zero instead of using the uhd calibration settings
I can't answer that, but you might want to ask @mpgxsvcd .

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | VIZIO M70-C3 | Denon AVR-X3500H | Elac Uni-Fi | Elac Debut 2.0 SUB3030
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13982 of 16407 Old 05-03-2016, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
Movies and scripted TV shows are shot at 24fps here in the US, and at 25fps in the UK/Europe. Some documentaries and non-scripted TV shows are shot at 30fps. Live events, like sports and news, are broadcast at 60 fields per second, which is different from frames per second in that a frame is comprised of two fields. Add to that that anything you see on cable, satellite, or OTA is then either progressive or interlaced, pull-down applied, etc... It gets messy.

I would play with both Reduce Judder and Reduce Motion Blur (on the sets that have that option), and see what each does to motion of different content.
Thanks VBB....I have the M65 and currently running with the 2/9 combo and it looks really good to me. Most all my content comes thru a Samsung DVR from Time Warner. I also have one of the new Fire TV 4K boxes for streaming & movie playback via Kodi. All this runs thru a Denon AVR out to HDMI input #1. Every now and then I start to tinker with settings thinking maybe there's something better to do...especially with sports.
post #13983 of 16407 Old 05-03-2016, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 122
On clearance at SAMs Club

If anyone is in the market for a 2015 M-series Sam's has them on clearance. IIRC the 65 is $1198.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13984 of 16407 Old 05-03-2016, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Creaking/cracking noise from back of set (M70-C3)

I have noticed a creaking or cracking noise coming from the back of my set after I turn it on. I think it could be some kind of thermal expansion on the plastics on the set causing it because I hear the same noise when I turn it off and it cools. I tried tightening the screws on the back of the set, but it did not help.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
post #13985 of 16407 Old 05-03-2016, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Highly variable Input Lag when gaming

Does anyone else experience some substantial input lag at times when gaming (In my case, on PS4)?

I have the M55-C2, and I've encountered a pretty strange bug. I find that there is some noticeable input lag when playing games on my PS4 (especially noticeable in Destiny), varying from minor to substantial. However, when I play a blu-ray movie for about an hour or so (a 1080p24, YCbCr source), and THEN switch to playing a game, the colors become WAY off. Like, highly overblown, overexposed brights. But, get this: when the colors are in the aforementioned bloomed-out and overexposed state, the input lag is almost completely gone when gaming.

It's as if there's a glitch in the firmware, wherein the the TV isn't properly handling the transition between watching a 1080p/24, YCbCr Blu-Ray, to playing an RGB, 30 (60?) hz videogame. Hence, the colors and bright levels are completely messed up. The plus side is that the input lag I experience almost completely disappears, and I get extremely responsive gaming. This procedure is repeatable and 100%. I watch a blu-ray for about an hour and a half, and then switch to gaming, and the input lag is dropped down to almost nothing (i.e., probably around the 18.5ms reported input lag figure for these Vizio sets), but at the cost of totally messed up colors and overblown, overexposed whites.

Anyone else experience this issue, transitioning from watching a blu-ray movie in full, straight to playing a game? I'm assuming this should be a pretty common practice for a good number of people, if they'd pay attention to how inaccurate and distorted the colors are.
post #13986 of 16407 Old 05-03-2016, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I have all the game consoles and I don't have this problem. Did you set the TV to game mode?
post #13987 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
[QUOTE=GorillaBot;43748922]It should update eventually... be patient
If your M43 is on 1.2.23UHD already, there is really no hurry in getting the next update (1.3.15UHD)... all it does that we know of for sure is remove your "Reduce Motion Blur" option!
In fact, I bet some people would prefer to remain on 1.2.23 than to update to 1.3.15 to keep RMB!
Vizio rolls out the updates in a staggered manner based on your serial number. I think it's safe to assume that recent production batches would be on the bottom of the list![

I must sheepishly admit that my M43 does indeed have the latest firmware.
It must have come already installed on the set because I really don't think it changed since I got it. Of course, I could be wrong again...

Thank you!
GorillaBot likes this.
post #13988 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem123 View Post
I have noticed a creaking or cracking noise coming from the back of my set after I turn it on. I think it could be some kind of thermal expansion on the plastics on the set causing it because I hear the same noise when I turn it off and it cools. I tried tightening the screws on the back of the set, but it did not help.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
Yes my M80 would creek and moan all the time. I have the P75 now and I have only heard one creek from it. The P-series weighs substantially more than the larger M-series. I believe they have improved the bracing in the new TVs. I never could find a fix for the M80 creaking. Just have to live with it or buy a P-series.
VBB likes this.
post #13989 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Does anyone keep upscaling on when watching a regular bluray on a Samsung K8500? I tried to watch the new Star Wars last night and it looked horrible until I switched it to 1080. I was able to get a semi good picture with it on but I had to turn color down to -10 on the K8500 and down to 40 on the Vizio.
post #13990 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have a M60-C3. I have been searching this thread and have not had any luck finding QUALITY calibration settings on the newest firmware. mpgxsvcd's settings area joke; anybody using computer as their color temperature and leaving black detail on to any degree looses all calibration credibility in my book (as well as other various calibration no-nos present). There is no way I am even going to try those settings, especially the advanced picture settings that would require a colorimeter, at bare minimum, to even get it dialed in properly.

I guess if you want something done right you are better off doing it yourself. Unless anybody can point me to real calibration settings, I will be doing it myself with a colorimeter?

THE ALL MIGHTY MACACASIAH HAS SPOKEN!
post #13991 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Cross-posting from this post in the HTPC forum in hopes someone can assist with my situation:

My setup in in my sig, but to recap my Shield TV runs into a Denon X2200W AVR with full HDCP 2.2 support on all jacks into a 2015 Vizio M60-C3 with HDCP 2.2 on HDMI1, 2 and 5 (IIRC), the last being 60Hz while the rest are 30Hz.

The Netflix app on the Shield militantly refuses to provide UltraHD 4K unless I connect the AVR to the Vizio's HDMI5 port and reboot the Shield. After returning the cable to HDMI1 - which I need to do to access the TV's Amazon and Vudu apps (why are there no Android TV versions of either?) and get ARC for OTA TV - I will still have access to 4K titles but after a couple of days it will degrade to having a 4K row in the menu, but every show's listening only offers HD, and then the row goes away. Running the test pattern loop (with little Asian girl and crayons in middle) never goes past 1080p.

I went and bought a new AVR (which led to new speakers) solely to save having to switch devices when I wanted to watch 4K Netflix and my old (because 2013 is old) Sony with 4K passthru was only HDCP 2.0, but this inability to get 4K unless I mess around with things is a PITA having to reach around behind the set.

In the HDMI Settings, it's set to 4K 30Hz, but it has Recommended next to the 1080p 60Hz. When plugged into HDMI5, it sets 4K 60Hz and says Recommended. I have HDMI 2.0 cables on this path, plenty of Internet speed and 4K package on Netflix.

Anyone experience this sort of shenanigans? If I was possible to connect my Xbone One's USB tuner to the Shield and there were Amazon and Vudu apps, I'd just run to HDMI5 and call it a day, but since it's not, it's a problem. TIA!

FWIW, when plugged into the Vizio's HDMI1 port, the receiver shows in the input list as "AV Receiver", the label I'd given to HDMI1. However, when in HDMI5 and running device discovery, that becomes "AVR-X2200W" on the list, the model # of that Denon.

PimpVision® Quantum: Vizio PQ65-F1 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Def Tech ProCinema 600 + ProCenter 1000 + Monoprice Caliber #4104 (Atmos) + Monolith 10" THX Select (5.1.4) | Nvidia SHIELD (2015) | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X800 | XBOX Project Scorpio | Xbox 360 | PS4 Pro | PS3 | Toshiba HD-A30 | Chromecast Ultra | Harmony 650 | Monoprice 8-Port gigabit switch
My DVD Profiler List | DirkFlix: My Movie Viewing Diary and Reviews
post #13992 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon13 View Post
I have a M60-C3. I have been searching this thread and have not had any luck finding QUALITY calibration settings on the newest firmware. mpgxsvcd's settings area joke; anybody using computer as their color temperature and leaving black detail on to any degree looses all calibration credibility in my book (as well as other various calibration no-nos present). There is no way I am even going to try those settings, especially the advanced picture settings that would require a colorimeter, at bare minimum, to even get it dialed in properly.

I guess if you want something done right you are better off doing it yourself. Unless anybody can point me to real calibration settings, I will be doing it myself with a colorimeter?
Many people here respect @mpgxsvcd 's work and use his settings as a starting point and adjust further to their own liking.
You don't need to agree with him, but bashing his work and the effort has put in, testing these sets and sharing his results with all of us for free, is uncalled for.
There is no single "holy grail" set of settings out there... everyone's tastes and preferences are different and what looks good to you for your usage does not necessarily look good to someone else for theirs.
I personally started with black detail on low and found I like it better off (trading off extra pop/perceived contrast for more shadow detail) and I generally prefer the normal color temperature.
Several others here have been playing around with their settings (you can fine a list of user settings gathered by @johnbrooke26 here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1566074515) and you will find many commonalities between these and mpgxsvcd's settings but also some differences in each case.
But by all means, if none of these settings seem credible to you, put in your own effort and we'll be happy to hear your results!
VBB, mpgxsvcd, xiaNaix and 9 others like this.
post #13993 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
mpgxsvcd's settings area joke; anybody using computer as their color temperature and leaving black detail on to any degree looses all calibration credibility in my book (as well as other various calibration no-nos present).
I'm currently rolling with a variation of those "joke" settings and find them quite pleasing and naturalistic, not too blue and cold. Colors are bright and punchy and don't seem hyped. As a photographer and former pre-production graphic artist, I'm sensitive to color weirdness, while not being anal about it. I turned off the black detail, which I agree is a weird choice, but what other "no-nos" are there that make this automatic FAIL in your obviously learned book?

Frankly, in my experience, some of the worst settings I've seen are the ones that were created by calibration methods seeking perfect fidelity. You punch them into your set and everything is beige-ish-gray and people look like they're made of clay.

BTW, I initially used the Warm color variant mpgxsvcd posted and it was OK, but it didn't make my nethers tingle, so I tried the Computer settings and I like it. What does it cost you to punch in those numbers and take a freaking look for yourself? It takes a minute to press the keys and then you feed it some content and decide whether you hate it or not. Besides, his settings are for the M80 IIRC, so us M60 users may need to modify a tad for our specific units.
VBB, mpgxsvcd, xiaNaix and 5 others like this.

PimpVision® Quantum: Vizio PQ65-F1 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Def Tech ProCinema 600 + ProCenter 1000 + Monoprice Caliber #4104 (Atmos) + Monolith 10" THX Select (5.1.4) | Nvidia SHIELD (2015) | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X800 | XBOX Project Scorpio | Xbox 360 | PS4 Pro | PS3 | Toshiba HD-A30 | Chromecast Ultra | Harmony 650 | Monoprice 8-Port gigabit switch
post #13994 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
Cross-posting from this post in the HTPC forum in hopes someone can assist with my situation:

My setup in in my sig, but to recap my Shield TV runs into a Denon X2200W AVR with full HDCP 2.2 support on all jacks into a 2015 Vizio M60-C3 with HDCP 2.2 on HDMI1, 2 and 5 (IIRC), the last being 60Hz while the rest are 30Hz.

The Netflix app on the Shield militantly refuses to provide UltraHD 4K unless I connect the AVR to the Vizio's HDMI5 port and reboot the Shield. After returning the cable to HDMI1 - which I need to do to access the TV's Amazon and Vudu apps (why are there no Android TV versions of either?) and get ARC for OTA TV - I will still have access to 4K titles but after a couple of days it will degrade to having a 4K row in the menu, but every show's listening only offers HD, and then the row goes away. Running the test pattern loop (with little Asian girl and crayons in middle) never goes past 1080p.

I went and bought a new AVR (which led to new speakers) solely to save having to switch devices when I wanted to watch 4K Netflix and my old (because 2013 is old) Sony with 4K passthru was only HDCP 2.0, but this inability to get 4K unless I mess around with things is a PITA having to reach around behind the set.

In the HDMI Settings, it's set to 4K 30Hz, but it has Recommended next to the 1080p 60Hz. When plugged into HDMI5, it sets 4K 60Hz and says Recommended. I have HDMI 2.0 cables on this path, plenty of Internet speed and 4K package on Netflix.

Anyone experience this sort of shenanigans? If I was possible to connect my Xbone One's USB tuner to the Shield and there were Amazon and Vudu apps, I'd just run to HDMI5 and call it a day, but since it's not, it's a problem. TIA!

FWIW, when plugged into the Vizio's HDMI1 port, the receiver shows in the input list as "AV Receiver", the label I'd given to HDMI1. However, when in HDMI5 and running device discovery, that becomes "AVR-X2200W" on the list, the model # of that Denon.
That is really strange, especially that the Netflix options gradually degrade to HD... It seems like a bug in Netflix, especially if your Shield is still outputting 4K when Netflix reverts to HD.
I have tried Netflix at 4K/30 on HDMI 1 before without issues (using a Yamaha A1050), but never for more than a few hours so can't say if does the same thing after while or not. Do you get a similar behavior from Neflix if you connect the shield directly to HDMI1? If you have CEC enabled, I'd suggest disabling it while you test as well.

Your Denon has 2 HDMI outs, right? One option could be to connect both to the TV: OUT1 to IN1 for ARC and OUT2 to IN5 for the Shield. If you use the shield for anything other than video playback, 4K/30Hz is not the best option anyway.
Another possibility is to use an optical cable for audio instead of ARC.
post #13995 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBot View Post
That is really strange, especially that the Netflix options gradually degrade to HD... It seems like a bug in Netflix, especially if your Shield is still outputting 4K when Netflix reverts to HD.
I have tried Netflix at 4K/30 on HDMI 1 before without issues (using a Yamaha A1050), but never for more than a few hours so can't say if does the same thing after while or not. Do you get a similar behavior from Neflix if you connect the shield directly to HDMI1? If you have CEC enabled, I'd suggest disabling it while you test as well.

Your Denon has 2 HDMI outs, right? One option could be to connect both to the TV: OUT1 to IN1 for ARC and OUT2 to IN5 for the Shield. If you use the shield for anything other than video playback, 4K/30Hz is not the best option anyway.
The Shield outputs 4K in YouTube (i.e. can select 2160p when available), but what happens in Netflix is that once the UHD 4K badges disappear from the show cards, that means it's stuck at 1080p as evidenced by the test pattern capping there, regardless of the UDH 4K Shows row being visible.

While experimenting, I tried ARC Only for the return and that didn't help. I'll try turning it off, though I've had funkiness with getting audio from the TV to work in the past, but that was with my Sony AVR which I replaced a week ago with the Denon.

The dual-output thing had occurred to me, but I hadn't explored whether it was possible. Can't hurt to plug another cable in and see what happens, I suppose.

post #13996 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wink

Quote:
Many people here respect @mpgxsvcd 's work and use his settings as a starting point and adjust further to their own liking.
You don't need to agree with him, but bashing his work and the effort has put in, testing these sets and sharing his results with all of us for free, is uncalled for.
There is no single "holy grail" set of settings out there... everyone's tastes and preferences are different and what looks good to you for your usage does not necessarily look good to someone else for theirs.
I personally started with black detail on low and found I like it better off (trading off extra pop/perceived contrast for more shadow detail) and I generally prefer the normal color temperature.
Several others here have been playing around with their settings (you can fine a list of user settings gathered by @johnbrooke26 here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1566074515) and you will find many commonalities between these and mpgxsvcd's settings but also some differences in each case.
But by all means, if none of these settings seem credible to you, put in your own effort and we'll be happy to hear your results!
What that user fails to realize is that certain settings are optional and others are not. For instance if you are adjusting contrast and brightness with the Auto Color Space then you are going to clip the signal. That is an unquestionable fact that no one doubts.

However, if he uses a colorimeter like he suggested it is actually likely that it will suggest altering the contrast and brightness values slightly to bring the TV into full compliance with REC.709. If you do that it might indicate that everything is fine.

However, the colorimeter has no way of knowing that the 2015 Vizio M-series clips Blacker than Black and Whiter than White like we all know it does. By adjusting contrast and brightness in Auto mode you are introducing clipping that the colorimeter isn’t aware of. In that instance the colorimeter is going to tell you to do the wrong thing.

I never said that it is mandatory to use black detail or “computer” color control. Instead I tell you exactly how each of those settings operate and let you choose if you want that or not. I specifically use those settings because they look better to me. However, I have never in any way shape or form represented my settings as calibrated. They are not calibrated settings in any shape or form.

He has the preset notion that calibration is this Holy Grail that magically transforms your TV into this colorful masterpiece when you hit the magic numbers. In reality calibration to REC.709 simply limits your TV to colors and brightness levels that are guaranteed not to exceed specifications created a couple of decades ago.

If that is what he wants then more power to him. My settings are specifically designed to maximize the capabilities of the display without introducing any adverse effects like color clipping or greyscale clipping.

I guarantee that when that guy goes to calibrate his TV he will cause color clipping and probably greyscale clipping and I could easily demonstrate that to him. However, he probably wouldn’t even know what to look for with those issues.

In the end he would be happy with his TV because he has been a good little boy and adhered to all of the calibration shaming that goes on. To each his own.
post #13997 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool

Quote:

I have one simple question for you. Why are you looking for “calibration” settings from other people’s TVs? If you knew anything about calibration at all then you would understand that calibration settings cannot be shared across TVs.

Trust me you are going to do more harm to your picture quality than good if you try to calibrate it. The 2015 Vizio M-series has several issues with the color controls that will cause color issues if you try to calibrate it to REC.709. The colorimeter won’t know about those issues and they don’t show up in all sources or test patterns.
post #13998 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

1) "He has the preset notion that calibration is this Holy Grail that magically transforms your TV into this colorful masterpiece when you hit the magic numbers. In reality calibration to REC.709 simply limits your TV to colors and brightness levels that are guaranteed not to exceed specifications created a couple of decades ago."

2) "My settings are specifically designed to maximize the capabilities of the display without introducing any adverse effects like color clipping or greyscale clipping."

3) "I guarantee that when that guy goes to calibrate his TV he will cause color clipping and probably greyscale clipping and I could easily demonstrate that to him. However, he probably wouldn’t even know what to look for with those issues."
1) A little presumptuous here. Never said that, but I do try to get my TV's as close to reference as possible. I am coming from a top tier plasma (RIP). I like natural colors, the results of a properly calibrated TV, and try to reproduce what the directors intended. I do not use silly image enhancers like dynamic contrast or black level settings. I am going to do a both a REC.709 and REC.2020, FYI.

2) Great. As all proper calibrations should. Moot point.

3) I am very familiar with calibration and know exactly what to look for. I am well aware of greyscale clipping and gamma curves. This is not my first rodeo.

Last edited by Icon13; 05-04-2016 at 02:09 PM.
post #13999 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
I have one simple question for you. Why are you looking for “calibration” settings from other people’s TVs? If you knew anything about calibration at all then you would understand that calibration settings cannot be shared across TVs.

Trust me you are going to do more harm to your picture quality than good if you try to calibrate it. The 2015 Vizio M-series has several issues with the color controls that will cause color issues if you try to calibrate it to REC.709. The colorimeter won’t know about those issues and they don’t show up in all sources or test patterns.
I know this. It is called being lazy and putting off a proper calibration. I'm just looking for a quick fix, but thanks for stating the obvious anyways.

No, I am pretty sure I will be doing just fine by my picture quality. I know exactly what I am doing, and I am well aware of the issues of these TVs. I may just do a 2 point greyscale calibration instead of 10 (I assume you are talking about the issues with 10 point). Allegedly these issues were fixed in the FW update, but until I get my hands dirty I will not know. Thanks for the concern.

post #14000 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:

I guess if you want something done right you are better off doing it yourself. Unless anybody can point me to real calibration settings, I will be doing it myself with a colorimeter

mpgxsvcd clearly states that :
Color Temperature = Computer* (Use Normal* if you want accuracy. Use computer if you want whiter whites instead of yellow whites which is actually more accurate)

Many folks prefer whites that are not yellow. No one is claiming that starting with the Computer setting is more accurate to REC709. But... using that setting absolutely does produce whites that look more white than using Normal.

Unless anybody can point you to real calibration settings, you will be doing it yourself with a colorimeter? You are kidding right? Calibration settings rarely transfer from set to set.

calling mpgxsvcd's settings a joke is rude. The settings are a very good starting point for users who do not have much experience. He has not positioned them as a replacement for a true calibration for users who want that. His information has been very valuable to many users on this thread.
post #14001 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 02:23 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
I am going to do a both a REC.709 and REC.2020, FYI.
With this TV there is no point in calibrating to anything other than Rec. 709, by the way. It barely covers that color space. If you're looking for perfection without having to touch the CMS controls, I highly recommend using an HTPC with a 3D LUT. It's basically the only way to fully calibrate the M without having to deal with any of the anomalies.
mpgxsvcd and GorillaBot like this.

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | VIZIO M70-C3 | Denon AVR-X3500H | Elac Uni-Fi | Elac Debut 2.0 SUB3030
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
post #14002 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
M70 Keeps Powering on (CEC-ARC and sb4051)

My M70 Keeps Powering on (after I power off.)

I have System-CEC "ARC Only", as using sb4051
SB4051 HDMI Input is coming from HTPC ( Nvidia GTX-960 ).

Remotes are not pointing at the TV.

Any ideas other than turning CEC-off?

Can't figure out how to stop CEC signal from the GTX-960 (or if that even makes sense).

Display:
Vizio M70-C3 / SoundBar SB4051-C0
HTPC:
MoBo ASUS P6T / CPU i7-960 Mem 16GB PC3-12800 Case: Thermaltake DH103
Cable Card Ceton InfiniTV Quad-Tuner Card Video Nvidia GTX-960
SSD OCZ RevoDrive PCI-E x4 120GB HDD 4* HGST Deskstar 3.5-Inch 4TB SATA III
post #14003 of 16407 Old 05-04-2016, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

We are all anxiously waiting for your "real" calibration settings...

Seriously dude, chill, no need to be rude.

P.S. I like Computer more than Normal.
mpgxsvcd, toonj64 and vulcanpro like this.
post #14004 of 16407 Old 05-05-2016, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
1)I am going to do a both a REC.709 and REC.2020, FYI.
Right there you showed how little you actually know about calibration. The 2015 Vizio M-series cannot be calibrated to anything above REC.709. It is not capable of producing any colors above REC.709. It simply cannot be calibrated to REC.2020 in any shape or form.

Please never talk about calibration ever again. You have no clue what you are talking about.
post #14005 of 16407 Old 05-05-2016, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool

Quote:
I know this. It is called being lazy and putting off a proper calibration. I'm just looking for a quick fix, but thanks for stating the obvious anyways.

No, I am pretty sure I will be doing just fine by my picture quality. I know exactly what I am doing, and I am well aware of the issues of these TVs. I may just do a 2 point greyscale calibration instead of 10 (I assume you are talking about the issues with 10 point). Allegedly these issues were fixed in the FW update, but until I get my hands dirty I will not know. Thanks for the concern.
I really like how you say that you are looking to get "as close to reference as possible" and yet you are also looking for a quick fix because you are lazy. You act like calibration is this absolute necessity that cannot possibly be omitted yet you are willing to cheat a little and just wing it.

There are more issues than just the 11 point system. The individual brightness controls clip the colors as well. You can adjust the saturation values without causing any adverse effects but the brightness settings will cause a posterizing effect with certain content.

I for one am actually glad that you keep posting your nonsense. It shows everyone else what not to do.
toonj64 and vulcanpro like this.
post #14006 of 16407 Old 05-05-2016, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
With this TV there is no point in calibrating to anything other than Rec. 709, by the way. It barely covers that color space. If you're looking for perfection without having to touch the CMS controls, I highly recommend using an HTPC with a 3D LUT. It's basically the only way to fully calibrate the M without having to deal with any of the anomalies.
I haven't used the 3D Lut before. Is that where you are altering the signal instead of altering the display to bring it into compliance? That would be an interesting way to get around the color issues with the Vizio displays.

Just for everyone's reference the 2016 P-series does not clip BTB or WTW with the Auto color space setting. However, it has the exact same issue with the individual brightness controls that the 2015 M-series does. If you play the latest Transformers Blu ray and adjust the individual brightness settings you will see that it quickly clips the colors. You can adjust the Saturation values to alleviate some of the problems but it is impossible to fully calibrate either the 2015 M-series or 2016 P-series to REC.709 without causing adverse effects.

RTINGS.com came to the same conclusion and actually just abandoned full calibration on their 2016 P-series. They had issues with adjusting Saturation and so they just left Saturation and brightness at their default values just like I suggest as well.

From the 2016 RTINGS Vizio P-series review

Quote:
White Balance dE Show Help : 0.26
Color dE Show Help : 2.0181
Gamma Show Help : 2.2
The 11 pt settings were easy to use and allowed us to fix the white balance. For the colors though, calibration was a bit of a mess. Fixing the oversaturated primaries resulted in an undersaturation of less-saturated colors.
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizi...-2016/settings

Quote:
We left the color space adjustments untouched because playing with them introduced some issues. For example, the pure green is by default a bit too saturated, and while reducing the green saturation made that better, less-saturated greens lost too much saturation.
VBB likes this.
post #14007 of 16407 Old 05-05-2016, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you get a similar behavior from Neflix if you connect the shield directly to HDMI1? If you have CEC enabled, I'd suggest disabling it while you test as well.

I tried two output cables and could never get the Shield to output 4K - either for real or even offering the 4K row in Netflix.

So I tried running the AVR into HDMI5 and running an optical line from the TV to the AVR and once I figured out why I wasn't getting any audio (because I needed to go into the input assignment matrix and set the OPT1 to be the TV), it appears to be working. Shield Netflix is 4K, the HDMI settings automagically defaulted to 4K 60Hz, and the OTA, Netflix and Amazon are outputting surround.

Downside is that that for some reason I can only get the optical audio working CEC totally disabled, meaning no unified control. Time to finalize things and see how much I can get shifted to a Harmony.

I wonder what it is about HDMI1 that makes the Shield believe 1080p60 is the best setting and it refuses to allow Netflix 4K? Since Netflix is a system app on the Shield, all you can do is uninstall updates; never totally remove it.

post #14008 of 16407 Old 05-05-2016, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I just got a M50-C1 at an amazing price yesterday and set it up last night. I downloaded some 4k videos (mp4 format) using 4k Video Downloader from Youtube, threw them on a thumb drive and plugged it into my TV. The Vizio recognized the thumb drive, saw the mp4 files but when I selected them to play it said "Video File Format Not Supported". I then tried MKV files from Youtube as well to no avail.

Does anyone have any insight into this as I thought this TV supported mp4 playback? Thanks in advance.
post #14009 of 16407 Old 05-05-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6278 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong766 View Post
I just got a M50-C1 at an amazing price yesterday and set it up last night. I downloaded some 4k videos (mp4 format) using 4k Video Downloader from Youtube, threw them on a thumb drive and plugged it into my TV. The Vizio recognized the thumb drive, saw the mp4 files but when I selected them to play it said "Video File Format Not Supported". I then tried MKV files from Youtube as well to no avail.

Does anyone have any insight into this as I thought this TV supported mp4 playback? Thanks in advance.

It's because those files if downloaded from YouTube are in the VP9 codec format. The MP4 is just a wrapper. Vizio doesn't support VP9 (on these models). You'd need to convert them to HEVC and then they should play fine.
toonj64 likes this.
post #14010 of 16407 Old 05-05-2016, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Are you kidding me? The rtings.com review for the 2016 P series says it suffers from banding which is visible particularly when the camera pans during sports. That is soooo unacceptable. I dislike my 2015 M65 mainly because of said banding (and other defects). I watch football religiously, and football is unwatchable on the M65 due to banding. Why on earth don't they fix that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page