Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread - Page 476 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11320Likes

post #14251 of 16431 Old 05-27-2016, 08:11 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCPBuff View Post
Henry:
Just a note here,, If you own a 857u Sharp ,, sell asap and run like hell.. Most of the info I have been able to acquire is that the life expectancy is about 3 years ( I got 2 years and 4 months out of mine). Screen is gone and 2500.00 to fix. If you have any questions about it google repairs on 857u or look up reviews for it.. (all say pix is excellent ,, life expectancy is about 3 years, BAD screens) CUL
I know, dude. I read your original post a few weeks ago . To be honest, it just sounds like bad luck. I feel bad that you paid that much for the 857, because I got mine for about half that due to a misprint in a Micro Center ad back in 2013. Mine is still going string, by the way, but it's not at my house any longer. I should probably remove it from my sig, too. Was a great TV at the time, and one of the very few affordable 70+ inchers.

The Sharp guy was correct when he told you that your M70 has a Sharp panel. I'm telling you that is a good thing, as I still prefer the Sharp panels over the AUOs. I wouldn't worry about the Vizio going bad like your 857 did. It's also a very different panel, since it's 4K and doesn't have that silly yellow pixel

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | Denon AVR-X3500H | ELAC Uni-Fi x7 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14252 of 16431 Old 05-28-2016, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Hope you got the extended warranty, I did
extended warranty wouldn't do me much good,, they would have replaced it with a "refurbished"
one with the same problems and it wouldn't last more than 3 years, and it would die,, for which there is no extended warranty.. even 6 years is a little short for a 3300. 00 tv !!! Just NEVER going to buy Sharp again, EVER !!
post #14253 of 16431 Old 05-28-2016, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Calibration spreadsheet free at last!

My spreadsheet is now available to be copied, saved, printed. I don't see many more shared calibration settings being game changers. I'll continue to tweak things as they happen, but for the most part what you have now is final. Thank you to each and every calibration contributor, with special thanks to @mpgxsvcd , @VBB , @thomasfxlt , and @videoguy . I sill love my M65, and look forward to my next TV purchase already.
rjhseven, rlindo, VBB and 9 others like this.

Sony XBR-##X900E Picture Settings Summary spreadsheet
Vizio 2015 M-series Picture Settings Summary spreadsheet
Sony XBR-65X900E | Vizio M65-C1 | Yamaha TSR-7790BL AVR | DirecTV HR54-700 Genie | DirecTV C61K-700 4K Genie Minis | Roku Streaming Stick+ | XBox One Elite | AppleTV Gen 3 | Panasonic Blu-ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14254 of 16431 Old 05-28-2016, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2969 Post(s)
Liked: 2627
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrooke26 View Post
My spreadsheet is now available to be copied, saved, printed. I don't see many more shared calibration settings being game changers. I'll continue to tweak things as they happen, but for the most part what you have now is final. Thank you to each and every calibration contributor, with special thanks to @mpgxsvcd , @VBB , @thomasfxlt , and @videoguy . I sill love my M65, and look forward to my next TV purchase already.
Thanks for your work on this. It is a very handy way to see all of the different options out there.

I have to say though that selling my M-series in favor of the P75 was the best TV decision I have ever made. I am sure that the 2015 M-series is more than enough TV for most people. However, for those that it isn't the P-series will almost certainly fill their needs.
rjhseven likes this.
post #14255 of 16431 Old 05-28-2016, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Thanks for your work on this. It is a very handy way to see all of the different options out there.

I have to say though that selling my M-series in favor of the P75 was the best TV decision I have ever made. I am sure that the 2015 M-series is more than enough TV for most people. However, for those that it isn't the P-series will almost certainly fill their needs.
Without reading the entire thread again could you direct me to a post or summarize why "selling my M-series in favor of the P75 was the best TV decision I have ever made."

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #14256 of 16431 Old 05-28-2016, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Without reading the entire thread again could you direct me to a post or summarize why "selling my M-series in favor of the P75 was the best TV decision I have ever made."
Support for Dolbyvision and HDR10 HDR standards, wide color gamut, and four times the number of local dimming zones. It's objectively a better television, but I'm still very happy with my 2015 M70, especially for what I paid.
VBB, mpgxsvcd, The_Donster and 2 others like this.
post #14257 of 16431 Old 05-28-2016, 03:14 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
His main reasons were that he wanted wide color gamut and HDR support. Especially, because he bought the Samsung K8500 player back in February, and getting that to work with the M was just a pain. It's not that he didn't like his M80

Henry

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
post #14258 of 16431 Old 05-28-2016, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprawks View Post
I too got 1.3.26-UHD.
Ugh, I am still on 1.3.15UHD on my m50
post #14259 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 12:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 5724
My m60 came today! Got it hooked up, calibrated and wall mounted(by myself, what a pain!)
Very happy with it so far
post #14260 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 01:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Hung my M55 yesterday (harder than it sounds by yourself) haha. Got smudges all over the sides but its up! Its in my small bedroom so it works just find for me. I need to find a small sound bar to mount under it though (the tv speakers suck, but thats common sense with these thing tv's).

Anyway, I found the calibration link and will try out a few options tomorrow. The one question I have is, Is there any way to stream HBO from the smart TV options? I do not want to have to wire up an xbox or something to stream it. Right now I only have the power cord to hide and no room for a shelf to stick out from that wall.
post #14261 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2969 Post(s)
Liked: 2627
Red face

Quote:
I must say again that for most people the M-series will give them excellent cable/Satellite video with the proper settings and excellent Blu-ray or DVD playback again with the correct settings. For most people that is enough. They never intend to buy a UHD Blu ray player or invest $30 per movie for UHD HDR streaming content. For those people keeping the M-series is the best financial decision.

However, for the people that really want to see more than just 1080p Blu rays they will have to invest in HDR. The issue is that that currently every single UHD Blu ray has the HDR10 headers. Those headers can't be read by either the 2015 M-series or the 2016 P-series currently. The difference is that the 2016 P-series will be able to read those headers in 1-2 months. The P-series is also a 10 bit TV with a much wider color gamut.

Without being a 10 bit TV you will have to do a down conversion to 8 bit at some point to display the content with the M-series. Theoretically that down conversion should be possible with minimal losses. However, my experience with the M80-C3 was that the Samsung K8500 UHD Blu ray player was doing that down conversion automatically and it never did it right. It is possible that future UHD Blu ray players will do the down conversion correctly. However, those players are many months if not a year away and there is no guarantee they will be any different.

The improper bit depth issue results in a greenish Hue on peoples faces and especially if there is anything white in the image. It was really horrible at first but it was greatly improved with a UHD Blu ray firmware update. However, it was never completely fixed. Some people might not even notice it now. It is still there though.

It was so frustrating trying to deal with the many issues of playing HDR content on the 2015 M-series that I decided to give up on the M80 and downsize to the P-series. With the P-series Dolby Vision HDR just works perfectly and there is no reason why HDR10 won't work perfectly in the near future. That peace of mind and future proofing is worth it in my opinion.

Quite honestly the color difference I see with the P-series is also worth it. So many people neglect that difference because HDR is what everyone talks about. The color difference is not subtle like the HDR difference is.

I still have my M55. It is used as a gaming only TV so there was no need to swap that out for a new P-series. However, the M80-C3 was in my dedicated theater so full HDR support was critical there.

If you find yourself with the same needs that I have in my theater room then I really do suggest selling your M-series and buying a 2016 P-series. With the new firmware it really is the best and most future proof TV on the market today.
post #14262 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
Hung my M55 yesterday (harder than it sounds by yourself) haha. Got smudges all over the sides but its up! Its in my small bedroom so it works just find for me. I need to find a small sound bar to mount under it though (the tv speakers suck, but thats common sense with these thing tv's).

Anyway, I found the calibration link and will try out a few options tomorrow. The one question I have is, Is there any way to stream HBO from the smart TV options? I do not want to have to wire up an xbox or something to stream it. Right now I only have the power cord to hide and no room for a shelf to stick out from that wall.
If you mean HBO GO, Vizio does not include that app and probably never will. I bought a $35 Chromecast dongle and use a smartphone to cast it to the TV
post #14263 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
If you find yourself with the same needs that I have in my theater room then I really do suggest selling your M-series and buying a 2016 P-series. With the new firmware it really is the best and most future proof TV on the market today.
Although you can be assured that TV manufacturers will keep introducing "must have" new features which will once again give you the urge to update your P-series in a couple of years. For me the one saving grace of having some color blindness is that urge doesn't strike me nearly as often!

Vizio M80-C3
Denon AVR-X7200WA
Odyssey HT-3 Plus
Infinity Prelude MTS
HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive
Oppo BDP-83
post #14264 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Hate to tell you but Walmart ran the M60 at $699 a couple of months ago. Was very hard to find though.
Yeah i heard about that. I snagged the M50 for $300 at walmart last month in their close out deals. Great bedroom tv. love it so far.
post #14265 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
My m60 came today! Got it hooked up, calibrated and wall mounted(by myself, what a pain!)
Very happy with it so far
Got my M60 last weekend, and trying different settings. Would you be willing to share your calibration results?
post #14266 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys, I just bought this TV a couple of months ago and randomly will now get this purple line on the far left side, what could this be? Do I need to file a warranty claim? (TV is a VIZIO VIM65C1 M-Series M65-C1 65"-Class Full-Array 4K Smart LED TV)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	media.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1466513  
post #14267 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got my M60 last weekend, and trying different settings. Would you be willing to share your calibration results?
Sure!
I tried a combination of the cnet settings and these
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1566074515
Ended up with all this

Sorry for all the pictures, didn't feel like writing it all down. May tweak it a little more but overall happy with results
post #14268 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sure!
Ended up with all this

Sorry for all the pictures, didn't feel like writing it all down. May tweak it a little more but overall happy with results
Many thanks. Is your M60 a 2016? Mine doesn't have a 'custom' mode for the picture.
post #14269 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Many thanks. Is your M60 a 2016? Mine doesn't have a 'custom' mode for the picture.
No problem, and no I just renamed it that. Started with calibrated dark by the way forgot to mention that
post #14270 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ$AS View Post
Hey guys, I just bought this TV a couple of months ago and randomly will now get this purple line on the far left side, what could this be? Do I need to file a warranty claim? (TV is a VIZIO VIM65C1 M-Series M65-C1 65"-Class Full-Array 4K Smart LED TV)
That's definitely no normal. Do you get it on all sources? If it's not caused by a particular source, try a factory reset and power cycle (unplug TV, hold power button on TV for 1 minute, plug back in and turn on).
If the problem comes back after resetting, contact Vizio for warranty support.
post #14271 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
I must say again that for most people the M-series will give them excellent cable/Satellite video with the proper settings and excellent Blu-ray or DVD playback again with the correct settings. For most people that is enough. They never intend to buy a UHD Blu ray player or invest $30 per movie for UHD HDR streaming content. For those people keeping the M-series is the best financial decision.

However, for the people that really want to see more than just 1080p Blu rays they will have to invest in HDR. The issue is that that currently every single UHD Blu ray has the HDR10 headers. Those headers can't be read by either the 2015 M-series or the 2016 P-series currently. The difference is that the 2016 P-series will be able to read those headers in 1-2 months. The P-series is also a 10 bit TV with a much wider color gamut.

Without being a 10 bit TV you will have to do a down conversion to 8 bit at some point to display the content with the M-series. Theoretically that down conversion should be possible with minimal losses. However, my experience with the M80-C3 was that the Samsung K8500 UHD Blu ray player was doing that down conversion automatically and it never did it right. It is possible that future UHD Blu ray players will do the down conversion correctly. However, those players are many months if not a year away and there is no guarantee they will be any different.

The improper bit depth issue results in a greenish Hue on peoples faces and especially if there is anything white in the image. It was really horrible at first but it was greatly improved with a UHD Blu ray firmware update. However, it was never completely fixed. Some people might not even notice it now. It is still there though.

It was so frustrating trying to deal with the many issues of playing HDR content on the 2015 M-series that I decided to give up on the M80 and downsize to the P-series. With the P-series Dolby Vision HDR just works perfectly and there is no reason why HDR10 won't work perfectly in the near future. That peace of mind and future proofing is worth it in my opinion.

Quite honestly the color difference I see with the P-series is also worth it. So many people neglect that difference because HDR is what everyone talks about. The color difference is not subtle like the HDR difference is.

I still have my M55. It is used as a gaming only TV so there was no need to swap that out for a new P-series. However, the M80-C3 was in my dedicated theater so full HDR support was critical there.

I watch 60% live sports, 30% movies and 10% TV shows on Directv 4K receiver. Would you say PQ is better watching sports on this P series set?

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #14272 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 10:21 AM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9646gt View Post
Ugh, I am still on 1.3.15UHD on my m50
Don't feel bad. I can't seem to get past that one either. I don't understand why Vizio doesn't just push to everyone at the same time this late in the game. It's one of my biggest gripes with them...

Henry

post #14273 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Quote:
Sure!
Ended up with all this

Which HDMI is it.
post #14274 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post

Some quick advice for you: As far as a sound bar goes, I bought the Vizio 2.1 sounder with the wireless subwoofer, and let me tell you, there is a reason this thing has such great ratings, it is amazing! I can turn on Spotify and fill my entire house with sound. The quality vs price is unbelievable. I highly recommend it!

As for hooking up a console or even a Roku, you can either by a slower HDMI dongle version, or, do What I did. I used a hole saw and made a hole in the drywall behind the TV so that it is hidden when the Tv is mounted. I made another near the bottom of the wall behind my entertainment center. Then I bought a UHD compatible HDMI switch that even supports the latest HDCP protection and ran all devices to it and then ran the power cord from the TV and the one HDMI cable behind the wall through the two holes I made. My TV looks like it just floats and was professionally installed. And, I have never done this before and am by no means an engineer lol.
post #14275 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraguy View Post
Which HDMI is it.
Hdmi one to utilize the arc functions
post #14276 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 05:18 PM

As far as Calibration settings go, I could not use custom settings for the color calibration portion. If I did, I ended up with tons of scenes having a faint vertical line down the middle of the screen. Once I got rid of all the fine tuning in the color calibration it went back perfect. Also, I find that I prefer the "computer" preset more than normal as whites have less of a yellow tinge to them
post #14277 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraguy View Post
Which HDMI is it.
Quote:
Could you guys please refrain from quoting posts with a bunch of images in them?
It's a pain, even on a desktop, it's much worse for mobile users.

LG 65B7 | Odroid N2 with CoreELEC | LG SK10Y+SPK8-S | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #14278 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Could you guys please refrain from quoting posts with a bunch of images in them?
It's a pain, even on a desktop, it's much worse for mobile users.
Didn't know it was an issue. However, for The Coolest, I wonder why its a problem
post #14279 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No problem, and no I just renamed it that. Started with calibrated dark by the way forgot to mention that
Question, why so many pictures of different '11 Point White Balance'?
post #14280 of 16431 Old 05-29-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Question, why so many pictures of different '11 Point White Balance'?
because there are different gain percentages that can be adjusted.
Like I said, I just went by the cnet calibrations and adjusted accordingly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page