AVS Forum banner

Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread

2M views 16K replies 2K participants last post by  videoguy60467 
#1 · (Edited)
Specs and prices for new Vizio M series just leaked by hdguru so wanted to start a thread. Per hdguru:

8 screen sizes from 43-inches ($599) to 80-inches ($3999). While all have 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution, there are no quantum dots for a wider color gamut or higher dynamic range. 3D is omitted. Like Vizio’s 2014 4K UHD “P” series the “M”s offer LCD panels using full array LED backlighting with local dimming. The 60- and 65-inch models have 32 dimmable zones and employ 10-bit LCD panels. While Vizio does not provide a native refresh rate, per cnet it's likely to be 60 or 120 Hz

Vizio’s 2015 4K UHD M Series (Vizio will announce and release April 13-14).
M80-C3 $3,999 June
M75-C1 $2,999 Fall 2015
M70-C3 $2,199 Spring
M65-C1 $1,699 Spring
M60-C3 $1,499.99 Now on Amazon
M55-C2 $999 Spring
M50-C1 $899 Spring
M43-C1 $599 Spring

Model Information: Vizio 2015 M65-C1
Physical Properties
Dimensions w/ Stand: 57.39 x 35.37 x 11.6
Dimensions w/o Stand: 59.39″ x 32.87″ x 2.52″
Remote Model: XRT500
Weight w/ Stand: 61.73 Lbs.
Weight w/o Stand: 60.72 Lbs.
Remote Connectivity: IR
Stand Measurements
Distance Between Inner Stand Legs: 46.80″
Distance Between Outer Stand Legs: 49.95″
Stand Depth (Back Side): 5.55″
Stand Depth (Front Side): 4.85″
Total Stand Depth: 11.16″
Display Features
Screen Size (Diag): 65″
64.5″ actual screen size
Number of Colors: 1.07 Billion
Backlight Type: Full Array LED
Local/Smart Dimming: Yes (32 zones)
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 20 Million to 1
Smart TV: Yes
Resolution: 2160p (4K)
Refresh Rate (SPS/Native): 240Hz (SPS)/ Unclear Hz Native, per cnet may be 60 or 120
Smooth Motion: No
Clear Action Rate: 720
3D: No
CEC: Yes
ARC: Yes
Zero Bright Pixel Policy: Yes
Audio Features
Speaker Power Output: 10W x 2
DTS StudioSound: Yes
DTS TruVolume: Yes
DTS TruSurround: Yes
Wi-Fi: 802.11ac dual band
Bluetooth/Wifi-Direct: No
Inputs/ Outputs
HDMI: 5
Analog Audio Out: 1
Component: 1
Digital Audio Out (SPDIF): 1
Composite: 1 (shared with Component)/ Coaxial: 1
Multimedia Features
Ethernet: 1
USB Music: Yes
USB: 1
USB Photo: Yes
PC/VGA: 0
USB Video: Yes
Media Sharing Capable: Yes
Mount Pattern: 400mm x 400mm
Screw Size: M6
Screw Length: 16mm
Power Consumption: 220W
Standby Power Consumption:

See less See more
#9,081 ·
Anybody still on 1.2.23UHD firmware?

I bought my M75-C3 about 2 months ago. It immediately upgraded to 1.2.23UHD firmware, but it has not upgraded to 1.3.15UHD - I have performed many "Service Check" to no avail. Is this normal? Anybody else in the same boat?

The only thing that really bugs me right now is the intermittent issue where the right half of the screen is sometimes rendered differently than the left half side - not sure how to describe it... I think the right half suffers a lot more ghosting. It is very apparent when using the UFO ghosting test (http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting) : when the UFO reach the right half of the screen, the black trail becomes much more noticeable. This is really distracting when playing games (on PC, via HDMI 5 @ 4k 60hz). This seems to happen on all inputs and with many different devices (roku3, builti-in netflix) - I have noticed it on fast action sequences in movies/tv shows, but not all the time. Sometimes powering off/on the TV solves the issue. Changing settings (GLL, active zones, etc.) does not have any effect.

I am using mpgxsvcd settings (although they are for the latest firmware...).

#9,082 ·
1) Motion blur is not a constant issue but definitely noticeable on some color transitions. For example, I was playing Borderlands the Pre-sequel and I was in a hanger with blueish/purple grates on the wall. When I panned left or right, the grates blurred really bad into each other but nothing else blurred on the screen. It wasn't a deal breaker for me at all since most of the picture didn't show signs of motion blur.
As far a motion blur on my M70 with a PS4, last night I changed the gaming preset to GLL=off, Reduce Judder & Motion Blur=9. It greatly reduced any motion blur with the SOE - which I don't like in movies and tv shows, but looks great to me for gaming. I was playing Assassins Creed Syndicate and it looked great.

#9,083 ·
As far a motion blur on my M70 with a PS4, last night I changed the gaming preset to GLL=off, Reduce Judder & Motion Blur=9. It greatly reduced any motion blur with the SOE - which I don't like in movies and tv shows, but looks great to me for gaming. I was playing Assassins Creed Syndicate and it looked great.
If you turn GLL off, it increases input lag a lot. I believe it goes from 18ms to something in the 80s especially with interpolation turned on. This might not impact everyone though so if that works for you, that's great! The blur definitely didn't bother me as much on the M65 as my E70 does.

#9,084 ·
If you turn GLL off, it increases input lag a lot. I believe it goes from 18ms to something in the 80s especially with interpolation turned on. This might not impact everyone though so if that works for you, that's great! The blur definitely didn't bother me as much on the M65 as my E70 does.
I haven't noticed any issues with lag, but then again maybe I can't see the difference of 0.08 vs 0.018 seconds of lag in my 46 year old eyes. :)

#9,086 ·
I need to replace my e601-a3 after the panel went bad. I was pretty happy with that set, even with some of its shortcomings. The sound was mediocre, and I turned off all motion smoothing on the old set, not a fan of that soap opera effect.

Squaretrade is offering the e60-c3 as a replacement, but I'm considering angling for the m60-c3 based on this thread. The biggest con so far with the e60 is the lack of HDMI ports -- and I wonder if its silly to go with 1080p at this stage. I've read though dozens of pages on this and the e60 thread tying to sort out which would be best for my use-case: Heavy console use (Xbox One) and moderate broadcast tv (uverse), blu-ray and streaming.

With brand loyalty, has anyone done the hop from the e601-a3 to the m60-c3? Worth the fight to get it over the e60-c3? Understand gaming is good for port 5, but the others may be problematic.

#9,089 ·

I bought my M75-C3 about 2 months ago. It immediately upgraded to 1.2.23UHD firmware, but it has not upgraded to 1.3.15UHD - I have performed many "Service Check" to no avail. Is this normal? Anybody else in the same boat?

The only thing that really bugs me right now is the intermittent issue where the right half of the screen is sometimes rendered differently than the left half side - not sure how to describe it... I think the right half suffers a lot more ghosting. It is very apparent when using the UFO ghosting test (http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting) : when the UFO reach the right half of the screen, the black trail becomes much more noticeable. This is really distracting when playing games (on PC, via HDMI 5 @ 4k 60hz). This seems to happen on all inputs and with many different devices (roku3, builti-in netflix) - I have noticed it on fast action sequences in movies/tv shows, but not all the time. Sometimes powering off/on the TV solves the issue. Changing settings (GLL, active zones, etc.) does not have any effect.

I am using mpgxsvcd settings (although they are for the latest firmware...).
You aren’t using my settings if you are seeing the split screen issue no matter what firmware your TV has. Check your Yellow Brightness. It is not set to zero and that is your issue.

I would like to make it clear that if you aren’t using my settings exactly as they are written then “You aren’t using my settings”. It is all or nothing. You have some freedom of choice for certain settings but those settings are clearly marked in my list with the appropriate ranges for those settings.

If you are deviating from what I wrote at all then your results will vary.

#9,090 ·

My M75 came with 1.2.24UHD. It has still yet to upgrade to 1.3.x.

The only thing that really bugs me right now is the intermittent issue where the right half of the screen is sometimes rendered differently than the left half side - not sure how to describe it...

I see that from time to time also. You can see a line down the middle of the screen (between zones I assume) and something just seems a little "off" when it's happening.

I just figured it was a panel anomaly I was going to have to deal with.

#9,091 ·
That is completely false. The Vizio M-series has 18.5 ms of input lag on HDMI 5 with GLL turned on. It has 43.9 ms on HDMI 5 with GLL turned off and interpolation turned on. That is the best input lag that any TV I am aware of has with interpolation turned on.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2015?uxtv=97b6

Please note that the highly regarded Samsung JS8500 has 36.9 ms of input lag at best. The JS8500 jumps to a horrific 110.0 ms if you turn any interpolation on or go outside of game mode.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/js8500?uxtv=97b6

The Sony X850c has a barely acceptable input lag of 39.5 ms at best. The X850 jumps to over 64.2 ms if you turn any interpolation on or go outside of game mode.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850c?uxtv=97b6

1 frame of 60p video equals 16.6 ms. An input lag value less than 16.6 ms would be irrelevant since that would be faster than a single frame.

#9,092 ·
Hi I am M60-c3 owner. Can someone please help with a picture setting. I used cnet setting even though d katz setup a m65 also I'm waiting for exchange cause tv bezel coming off the screen on the bottom left side. Any feed back Will be greatly appreciated. Also would like to say I'm owner of p65 I have video banding on my p series. Besides this bezel problem m60 has no banding. Hoping my exchange tomorrow goes good.

#9,093 ·
That is completely false. The Vizio M-series has 18.5 ms of input lag on HDMI 5 with GLL turned on. It has 43.9 ms on HDMI 5 with GLL turned off and interpolation turned on.
Hmm "completely" No...

From the rtings review in the "Additional Review Notes" where they're comparing E,M,P, they go into further detail about the input lag:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2015?uxtv=97b6

(HDMI 1-4, HDMI 5):
Game Low Latency Off
103.6, 84

Game Low Latency On
45.2, 18.5

Motion Interpolation
105.4, 83.9

Take notice of "HDMI 5" GLL off: 84ms. Not sure why those numbers differ from their other content block. Regardless... 40+ms isn't good input lag and isn't recommended for gaming especially if you can get 18ms. Also, I don't believe MattNeson ever mentioned what HDMI he was using so technically I didn't say anything false especially not "completely" false. :cool:

Your "Completely false" statement is mostly false :wink:

#9,094 ·
I need to replace my e601-a3 after the panel went bad. I was pretty happy with that set, even with some of its shortcomings. The sound was mediocre, and I turned off all motion smoothing on the old set, not a fan of that soap opera effect.

Squaretrade is offering the e60-c3 as a replacement, but I'm considering angling for the m60-c3 based on this thread. The biggest con so far with the e60 is the lack of HDMI ports -- and I wonder if its silly to go with 1080p at this stage. I've read though dozens of pages on this and the e60 thread tying to sort out which would be best for my use-case: Heavy console use (Xbox One) and moderate broadcast tv (uverse), blu-ray and streaming.

With brand loyalty, has anyone done the hop from the e601-a3 to the m60-c3? Worth the fight to get it over the e60-c3? Understand gaming is good for port 5, but the others may be problematic.
I got the e601-a3 after Christmas 2013. It's been perfect so far even with being edge lit. It's actually amazing there could be tv's that look even better. For $679 it was a decent deal. 60" 1080p tv's haven't really dropped in price since 2012. When did you buy that tv? Sports look great on it.

#9,095 · (Edited)
My M75 came with 1.2.24UHD. It has still yet to upgrade to 1.3.x.

I see that from time to time also. You can see a line down the middle of the screen (between zones I assume) and something just seems a little "off" when it's happening.

I just figured it was a panel anomaly I was going to have to deal with.

THIS! on both questions. I was just about to post on a question about this. I have M75 and I am still with 1.2.24 as well. Done a million resets and service checks to no avail.

Screen split issue: I noticed during some football games over the weekend. I noticed this split screen issue where a slight vertical line shows up in the exact middle of the screen and there appears to be some flicker and a distinction between the two "halves" of the screen re how the TV processes the signal on long panning shots (like kickoff during a NFL football game). I noticed this while watching NFL games this weekend over OTA. I also noticed this randomly once (and only once) when turning on my Blu-ray player…. It gave me the split screen issue where one half was noticeably darker than the other, and the lighter half of the screen was all kinds of cloudy and weird as if it has major light bleed issues. This was resolved by turning on and off the TV, and I have not seen it appear since. I use my Denon AVR 4100 for video switching only (pass-through, not upscale for Blu-ray, as that is handled by the TV).

I believe this is purely a software issue and not hardware related. For this split screen issue during football games, I hypothesized that it was caused by upscaling from 720 P sources (fox Chicago). But the games CBS and NBC (Sunday night NFL game) broadcasted over OTA at 1080i also had the same issue although somewhat less severe. it also does not happen every time there is a kick off or a long panning shots. Only happens some times, which is weird.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the heck could be causing this split screen issue?

EDIT: my settings

Modified from mpgxsvcd settings (because his are on a different firmware)

Picture Mode = "Calibrated dark" default profile (night viewing)/ “calibrated” for day viewing
Backlight = 35 (Calibrated dark)/ 65 (calibrated)
Brightness = 50 for Auto.
Contrast = 50 for Auto.
Color = 57
Tint = 0
Sharpness = 33

More Picture Settings
Color Temperature = Normal
Black Detail = Low
Active LED Zones = ON
Reduce Judder = 1
Reduce Motion Blur = 9
Clear Action = Off
Reduce noise = both low (could this be the culprit of split screen issue????).
Game Low Latency = Off
Film Mode = Auto
Color Space = Auto
Gamma = 2.2(calibrated dark); 2.1 (calibrated=day)

Color tuners = no change from defaults

#9,096 ·
THIS! on both questions. I was just about to post on a question about this. I have M75 and I am still with 1.2.24 as well. Done a million resets and service checks to no avail.

Screen split issue: I noticed during some football games over the weekend. I noticed this split screen issue where a slight vertical line shows up in the exact middle of the screen and there appears to be some flicker and a distinction between the two "halves" of the screen re how the TV processes the signal on long panning shots (like kickoff during a NFL football game). I noticed this while watching NFL games this weekend over OTA. I also noticed this randomly once (and only once) when turning on my Blu-ray player…. It gave me the split screen issue where one half was noticeably darker than the other. The latter was resolved by turning on and off the TV, and I have not seen it appear since. I use my Denon AVR 4100 for video switching only (pass-through, not upscale for Blu-ray, as that is handled by the TV).
I believe this is purely a software issue and not hardware related. For this split screen issue during football games, I hypothesized that it was caused by upscaling from 720 P sources. But the games CBS broadcasted over OTA at 1080i also had the same issue although somewhat less severe.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the heck could be causing this split screen issue?
I had an M55 that developed a split-screem issue right after updating to 1.2.23 (the halves were out of sync which resulted in a line right in the middle of the screen but only with 4K content - I posted some pics of it here). A factory reset fixed this for me and it never came back while I had the M55.
There have been reports of several different types of split-screen issues here and the ones that are not fixed by a factory reset/power cycle will need to be repaired/replaced by vizio.

#9,097 ·
I had an M55 that developed a split-screem issue right after updating to 1.2.23 (the halves were out of sync which resulted in a line right in the middle of the screen but only with 4K content - I posted some pics of it here). A factory reset fixed this for me and it never came back while I had the M55.
There have been reports of several different types of split-screen issues here and the ones that are not fixed by a factory reset/power cycle will need to be repaired/replaced by vizio.
thanks GB. mine happened with pure OTA feed and have not seen it with amazon 4k. also, it does not seem to be a recurring - it's always doing it-- issue. I'll power cycle/reset to see what happens. It has to be software or some setting. thanks.

#9,098 ·
Just took delivery of an M55 last week. Here are two issue I've found, but maybe it's normal since I'm coming from a 7 year 37".

1) When watching UHD and other high quality programs, lights, lamps, sunlight, etc is blinding. Seems that turning down backlights doesn't help.

2) There are two distinct strips on the edge of the TV that appear lighter than the rest of the screen. It's not always visible, but when it's there it's distracting. Especially present during sports.

Any corrective actions I can take?

#9,099 ·
Hey guys. I have been reading alot of the new M series tv's from vizio. I currently have a samsung d8000 65" plasma which i love, but looking for a bigger tv. I am thinking about the 75" m series from vizio. In the past i have tried other lcd tv's or at friends houses i see so many lcd tv's look fake all the time to me. I think its the soap opera effect for the most part, but the motion is so weird. I have tried on other tv's that i bought but later returned to mess with all clear motion setting and anything that had to do with the motion, but still wasn't happy and thought it looked too fake. I would always return the tv's to go back to plasma.
Has anyone else switch from plasma to this tv? Curious on everyone's thoughts?
Thanks for your help
Jon

#9,100 ·
Hey guys. I have been reading alot of the new M series tv's from vizio. I currently have a samsung d8000 65" plasma which i love, but looking for a bigger tv. I am thinking about the 75" m series from vizio. In the past i have tried other lcd tv's or at friends houses i see so many lcd tv's look fake all the time to me. I think its the soap opera effect for the most part, but the motion is so weird. I have tried on other tv's that i bought but later returned to mess with all clear motion setting and anything that had to do with the motion, but still wasn't happy and thought it looked too fake. I would always return the tv's to go back to plasma.
Has anyone else switch from plasma to this tv? Curious on everyone's thoughts?
Thanks for your help
Jon