AVS Forum banner

Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread

2M views 16K replies 2K participants last post by  videoguy60467 
#1 · (Edited)
Specs and prices for new Vizio M series just leaked by hdguru so wanted to start a thread. Per hdguru:

8 screen sizes from 43-inches ($599) to 80-inches ($3999). While all have 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution, there are no quantum dots for a wider color gamut or higher dynamic range. 3D is omitted. Like Vizio’s 2014 4K UHD “P” series the “M”s offer LCD panels using full array LED backlighting with local dimming. The 60- and 65-inch models have 32 dimmable zones and employ 10-bit LCD panels. While Vizio does not provide a native refresh rate, per cnet it's likely to be 60 or 120 Hz

Vizio’s 2015 4K UHD M Series (Vizio will announce and release April 13-14).
M80-C3 $3,999 June
M75-C1 $2,999 Fall 2015
M70-C3 $2,199 Spring
M65-C1 $1,699 Spring
M60-C3 $1,499.99 Now on Amazon
M55-C2 $999 Spring
M50-C1 $899 Spring
M43-C1 $599 Spring

Model Information: Vizio 2015 M65-C1
Physical Properties
Dimensions w/ Stand: 57.39 x 35.37 x 11.6
Dimensions w/o Stand: 59.39″ x 32.87″ x 2.52″
Remote Model: XRT500
Weight w/ Stand: 61.73 Lbs.
Weight w/o Stand: 60.72 Lbs.
Remote Connectivity: IR
Stand Measurements
Distance Between Inner Stand Legs: 46.80″
Distance Between Outer Stand Legs: 49.95″
Stand Depth (Back Side): 5.55″
Stand Depth (Front Side): 4.85″
Total Stand Depth: 11.16″
Display Features
Screen Size (Diag): 65″
64.5″ actual screen size
Number of Colors: 1.07 Billion
Backlight Type: Full Array LED
Local/Smart Dimming: Yes (32 zones)
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 20 Million to 1
Smart TV: Yes
Resolution: 2160p (4K)
Refresh Rate (SPS/Native): 240Hz (SPS)/ Unclear Hz Native, per cnet may be 60 or 120
Smooth Motion: No
Clear Action Rate: 720
3D: No
CEC: Yes
ARC: Yes
Zero Bright Pixel Policy: Yes
Audio Features
Speaker Power Output: 10W x 2
DTS StudioSound: Yes
DTS TruVolume: Yes
DTS TruSurround: Yes
Wi-Fi: 802.11ac dual band
Bluetooth/Wifi-Direct: No
Inputs/ Outputs
HDMI: 5
Analog Audio Out: 1
Component: 1
Digital Audio Out (SPDIF): 1
Composite: 1 (shared with Component)/ Coaxial: 1
Multimedia Features
Ethernet: 1
USB Music: Yes
USB: 1
USB Photo: Yes
PC/VGA: 0
USB Video: Yes
Media Sharing Capable: Yes
Mount Pattern: 400mm x 400mm
Screw Size: M6
Screw Length: 16mm
Power Consumption: 220W
Standby Power Consumption:

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
I so hope these support 4k/60 at 4:4:4 chroma for PC hdmi 2.0 input.

Kind of sad no advanced picture technology for 4k. Wonder if these will be gimped for UHD Blu-ray. Guess that's a big part of the great pricing.

No 3d is interesting too. I think I might be done with 3d at home though myself.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
^^ I highly doubt the P series at its pricing points will be abandoned after only 1 generation.

Keep in mind that the 2015 M series will still have few dimming zones, no wide color gamut, and probably their mid-level motion processing. All it has essentially gained over the 2014 M is 4K, which is nice, but really not that big of a deal.

There's still plenty of room for a 2015 P series.

Reactions: Riekopo and THX1720
#8 ·
This seems to be taking over for the P series....

Makes me think that the E and P have bumped up in feature set at their respective price points...

We have already seen the E60-C3 and it looks like it the E series will be the top 1080p TVs from Vizio this year:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E60-C3-60-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00SMBFPDG#productDetails

Here is a comparison table between the 2014 E600i-B3 and the 2015 E60-C3:

http://www.ledhdtvvs.com/vizio-e60-c3-vs-e600i-b3-comparison.html
Yes, this 2015 M Series seems to be very similar to the 2014 P-Series with the same reduced-dimming-zone backlight as Vizio used for thev2014 (1080p) M-Series (32 dimming zones).

Hopefully this means than we will see the 2015 P-Series announced with WCG panels and HDR support (and probably sticking to similar backlights of 64-72 local dimming zones).

And also hope we see the Reference Series expanded to include at least an R-75 based on another AUO WCG panel, as well as possibly R80, R70 and R60 offerings all based on WCG panels from Sharp.

#10 · (Edited)
Cannot wait for the review of that 80"inch! That could be my next screen if the picture quality is as decent as the P series and all ports have full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 with great gaming performance! HDR with a true 10-bit panel would make my purchase that much easier!

I think although they may come out with the cheapest 80" 4k TV, they have some serious competition with the likes of Sharp, LG and JVC and possibly Seiki with their Pro models!

The two I'm looking at are JVC's 85"inch for under 7k and Sharp's 80"inch for around 5k

#11 ·
^^ I highly doubt the P series at its pricing points will be abandoned after only 1 generation.

Keep in mind that the 2015 M series will still have few dimming zones, no wide color gamut, and probably their mid-level motion processing. All it has essentially gained over the 2014 M is 4K, which is nice, but really not that big of a deal.

Maybe it's just better to pay the extra 200 $ and get the superior p series? :(

#13 · (Edited)
It appears the new 2015 M-series fits into Vizio's lineup just BELOW the P-series. The MSRP for the 65" and 70" fall about $300 below the P-series prices for these sizes and the number of local dimming zones is less for the M-series. One big question for the new M-series is will it use the new full data rate (18.0 Gbps) chips for the HDMI 2.0 w/HDCP 2.2 input. At the time the P-series started shipping last fall the only HDMI 2.0 w/HDCP 2.2 chips available were limited to 10.2 Gbps, but the new, higher performance HDMI 2.0 chips started shipping from Silicon Image to the manufacturers around the first of November, so it's possible the new 2015 Vizio UHD models may be using these new chips for their highest performance HDMI input. The higher performance for the HDMI 2.0 input would offer benefits when used as a PC monitor in that it could accept 4K @60Hz with greater bit depths and higher resolution chroma formats than supported by the earlier HDMI 2.0 hardware. While the P-series will be compatible with the first generation Ultra-HD Blu-rays (i.e. using 10 bit depth and 4:2:0 chroma), in the longer term UHD Blu-ray is expected to offer support for greater bit depths and perhaps 4:2:2 and/or 4:4:4 chroma and the higher performance HDMI 2.0 version will be needed to take full advantage to these. In fact we may even see an updated P-series also introduced that replaces the HDMI 2.0 chip used in the current models with the newer higher performance version.

#14 ·
2015 will be very competitive year when it comes to large screen 4k TV's. I'm looking to get myself something that's 80"+ minimum!

Here are the prices for the current 2015 big screen 4k TV's:

Vizio M80-C3 - $3999 - Expected availability: June

Sharp LC80UE30 - $5,400 - Expected availability: Spring

Sharp LC80UH30 - $5999 - http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...-new-tvs-ub30/

LG 79UF7700 - $6,499.99 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...smart_led.html - Expected availability: May 04 2015

LG 79UF9500 - $7,999.99 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...smart_led.html - Expected availability: May 04 2015

Sony XBR75X850C - $4,998.00 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4k_smart.html - Expected availability: May 20 2015

Sony XBR75X910C - $5,498.00 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4k_smart.html - Expected availability: May 20 2015

Samsung UN55JS8500 - $2,999 - (LG 55EC9300 OLED - $2500/$2999) = Fail!

Samsung - UN55JS9000 - $3,999 - (LG 4k OLED 55") = Mega Fail!

Samsung UN88JS9500 - $22,999 = Ultra Fail!

#15 ·
1. What type panels will be used?? Narrow angle VA, or wide angle IPS.

2. Will they continue to use their poor processing or upgrade to something that at least comes close to most everyone else?

#16 · (Edited)
This seems to be taking over for the P series....

Makes me think that the E and P have bumped up in feature set at their respective price points...

We have already seen the E60-C3 and it looks like it the E series will be the top 1080p TVs from Vizio this year:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E60-C3-60-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00SMBFPDG#productDetails

Here is a comparison table between the 2014 E600i-B3 and the 2015 E60-C3:

http://www.ledhdtvvs.com/vizio-e60-c3-vs-e600i-b3-comparison.html
Yes, this 2015 M Series seems to be very similar to the 2014 P-Series with the same reduced-dimming-zone backlight as Vizio used for thev2014 (1080p) M-Series (32 dimming zones).

Hopefully this means than we will see the 2015 P-Series announced with WCG panels and HDR support (and probably sticking to similar backlights of 64-72 local dimming zones).

And also hope we see the Reference Series expanded to include at least an R-75 based on another AUO WCG panel, as well as possibly R80, R70 and R60 offerings all based on WCG panels from Sharp.
I've been out of the loop for a while but maybe this means the R series is kaput as Vizio was screwed over with Dolby HDR and the P series will be getting some of its features such as the 384 dimming zones.

As for the M series, it seems Vizio is going with the philosophy of dazzling customers with all its features for a low price and not concentrating on having those features work exceptionally well. I would rather have had the M series incorporate the P series 64 dimming zones than 4K resolution.

I hope Vizio's new stand design can be adjusted like the Sony televisions that have a similar design (the option of moving the legs inward position as to not leave as large of a footprint).

#17 ·
I've been out of the loop for a while but maybe this means the R series is kaput as Vizio was screwed over with Dolby HDR and the P series will be getting some of its features such as the 384 dimming zones.

As for the M series, it seems Vizio is going with the philosophy of dazzling customers with all its features for a low price and not concentrating on having those features work exceptionally well. I would have rather had the M series incorporate the P series 64 dimming zones than 4K resolution.

I hope Vizio's new stand design can be adjusted like the Sony televisions that have a similar design (the option of moving the legs inward position as to not leave as large of a footprint).
I think you'll see at the April launch event that the R-Series is not kaput and in fact I am hopeful that Vizio will announce one or two additional sizes beyond the R65 and the R120.

Don't know how it is you think Dolby screwed Vizio - availability of HDR content may have been delayed versus Dolby's original expectation, but don't believe that is Dolby's fault and certainly don't see it as rising the the 'getting screwed' category...

The E-Series is likely to be the only 1080p offering going forward, and I don't expect much in the way of investments or improvements goin forward (though perhaps Vizio will eventually upgrade all of the backlights as you are hoping, just not this year).

The M-Series is being upgraded from 1080p to 4K, so strategy there is clear.

As I've already commented, I expect the P-Series to be upgraded to WCG and support for HDR without meeting requirements for backlight brightness (I expect zones to remain at 64-72, thought ot would be fantastic if the number of dimming zones were doubled).

And the specs for the R Series were already 'future proofed' for HDR (and in fact led the charge for HDR that the entire industry has now followed). So the only question for me on the R-Series (other than new sizes for later this year), is whether Vizio has had enough time to react to Samsung's HDR-Alliance initiative so that backlight brightness of the R-Series could be increased to a full 1000 Nits from the originally-specified 800 Nits.

The difference between 800 versus 1000 Nits is far less important that being the first HDR TV out of the gates, so I won't be the least bit surprised to see Vizio announcing the immediate availability of the R65 as originally specified (800 Nits) whil announcing new sizes available late this year with a full 1000 Nits...

In 2016, we may start to see the zone upgrade strategy materialize, with each Series getting twice as many zones and getting closer to the penultimate R-Series with 384.

#18 ·

If anything, 4K resolution for the M series may be a detriment as I have yet to be convinced that upscaled 1080p matches 1080p on a Full HD television. And it's my understanding the M series might have a 60Hz refresh rate. At least it looks like the E series is getting more of a matte finish for the bezel and it might be the go to TV in Vizio's line up for those who are not caught up with the glitter of 4K resolution.

#20 ·
Don't know how it is you think Dolby screwed Vizio - availability of HDR content may have been delayed versus Dolby's original expectation, but don't believe that is Dolby's fault and certainly don't see it as rising the the 'getting screwed' category...
It's not that Dolby screwed Vizio but that Sony and Samsung are not playing nice with Dolby

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/9/7522147/ces-2015-4k-tv-report-card

"Big manufacturers like Sony and Samsung have declined to adopt Dolby Vision, rolling their own HDR solutions instead, and while Warner Bros. is a huge get, it won’t be enough on its own. Dolby may have won the moral victory, but it will take more than that to win the war."