post #5221 of 10380 Old 11-28-2015, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonX View Post
ArchonX latest calibrated picture settings v9.0 "Like A Storm"

Enjoy! If you do use these, please let me know how they work out for you!
Looks much improved on 65" th01... I see a big difference in the whites and yellows. Whites look like snow!
ArchonX likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 10380 Old 11-28-2015, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacer304 View Post
Your latest calibration settings made a remarkable improvement in the picture quality of my 55JU7100 over your previous setup. The blacks are blacker with more detail, the whites are whiter and the colors more saturated. As a matter of personal preference, Smart LED was set to high. The difference in image quality between your calibration and Samsung's out-of-the-box setting is one of night and day. Congratulations on a job well done!

//////////
Thank you, I really appreciate your compliments! I am getting better and better, I just need to keep at it and now get used to Calman5!

I was using Chromapure calibration software, but have been having a lot of issues with it. I not only purchased SpectraCal Calman 5 Home Theater Enthusiast edition last night, I recently got my i1 Display Pro 3 updated to the "Pro" model. This brings the ability of the meter to possibly meet and even exceed meters less than $2000, it brings more calibration modes and has new internal calibration which greatly exceed the accuracy of the stock meter. Plus, I have spent a lot of time experimenting, reading, and becoming a better calibrator.

I prefer Calman5 to any other program now, it has a lot of features the others do not, and I feel it is the most powerful software (with the possible exception of Lightspace). HCFR is awesome, Chromapure is the most user friendly. But Calman 5 does more than both, is very customizable, and I like the way it functions. I also like the reports and the fact it is constantly updated. I was able to do an intensive calibration with no hassle and everything worked perfect. This just made it a matter of getting familiar with the new software and using it. I am lucky I have done my homework because it is totally different than the other programs, but within 15 minutes of installing the software, I started setting my greyscale and just love it.

So better and more powerful software, better meter accuracy, and better ability than I used to have. I noticed the improvement right away as soon as I watched a 4K video on Youtube.

Randal_r, Michael Chen, Connectedd and many others here have contributed to my knowledge. I am very glad to help anyone as much as I can.

Please enjoy!
tampa8, wildgator25 and nad0104 like this.

Samsung 55" JU7100 calibrated picture settings:
Cal-Day Daylight: **Updated 12/22/2015**

Cal-Night/Dark:
post #5223 of 10380 Old 11-28-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelp38 View Post
Hi ArchonX, pls pm me which menu inside the service menu to activate the cal-day, cal-night settings in order to save your various calibrations which are very good. I do not have enough posts to pm you yet. Thanks.
PM incoming

Cal-Night/Dark:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5224 of 10380 Old 11-28-2015, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Thank you, I really appreciate your compliments! I am getting better and better, I just need to keep at it and now get used to Calman5!

I was using Chromapure calibration software, but have been having a lot of issues with it. I not only purchased SpectraCal Calman 5 Home Theater Enthusiast edition last night, I recently got my i1 Display Pro 3 updated to the "Pro" model. This brings the ability of the meter to possibly meet and even exceed meters less than $2000, it brings more calibration modes and has new internal calibration which greatly exceed the accuracy of the stock meter. Plus, I have spent a lot of time experimenting, reading, and becoming a better calibrator.

I prefer Calman5 to any other program now, it has a lot of features the others do not, and I feel it is the most powerful software (with the possible exception of Lightspace). HCFR is awesome, Chromapure is the most user friendly. But Calman 5 does more than both, is very customizable, and I like the way it functions. I also like the reports and the fact it is constantly updated. I was able to do an intensive calibration with no hassle and everything worked perfect. This just made it a matter of getting familiar with the new software and using it. I am lucky I have done my homework because it is totally different than the other programs, but within 15 minutes of installing the software, I started setting my greyscale and just love it.

So better and more powerful software, better meter accuracy, and better ability than I used to have. I noticed the improvement right away as soon as I watched a 4K video on Youtube.

Randal_r, Michael Chen, Connectedd and many others here have contributed to my knowledge. I am very glad to help anyone as much as I can.

Please enjoy!
This is a great calibration. I have set it up on my Day Cal and have only made the slightest of tweaks. I bumped Backlight up 1, Sharpness to 20, and for some strange reason, my panel shows the slightest green tint, so I moved the Tint slider to G45/R55. I like Smart LED on High, but otherwise this is good stuff!

Good job ArchonX!
ArchonX and nad0104 like this.

Last edited by wildgator25; 11-28-2015 at 09:50 PM.
post #5225 of 10380 Old 11-28-2015, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
ArchonX, your new calibration looks great on my tv !

Thanks for your great effort.
ArchonX likes this.
post #5226 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 30
[QUOTE=wildgator25;39313122]This is a great calibration. I have set it up on my Day Cal and have only made the slightest of tweaks. I bumped Backlight up 1, Sharpness to 20, and for some strange reason, my panel shows the slightest green tint, so I moved the Tint slider to G45/R55. I like Smart LED on High, but otherwise this is good stuff!

Good job ArchonX![/QUOTE
Wildgator25 do you plan on doing new calibrations?
ArchonX likes this.
post #5227 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=nad0104;39316322]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
This is a great calibration. I have set it up on my Day Cal and have only made the slightest of tweaks. I bumped Backlight up 1, Sharpness to 20, and for some strange reason, my panel shows the slightest green tint, so I moved the Tint slider to G45/R55. I like Smart LED on High, but otherwise this is good stuff!

Good job ArchonX![/QUOTE
Wildgator25 do you plan on doing new calibrations?
I think with the software that ArchonX has purchased and the vast amount of time he has spent, there is little more that I can contribute to the picture quality of this tv. ArchonX says that he plans on giving settings for 2 other Gamma settings, so I would suggest others wait for that. My colorimeter is a step down from his and is doubtful that I would achieve anything better than his colorimeter will produce.
ArchonX and nad0104 like this.
post #5228 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
One frustrating thing I can't seem to figure out for the life of me though. Screen tearing on streaming sources and DirecTV. For whatever reason, the image and motion is absolutely PERFECT when playing Blu-Rays, but whenever I try either using DirecTV or streaming Netflix, YouTube etc, from any device (tried Apple TV and the Oppo BDP-103), I get screen tearing. I've tried playing with all the settings I can and the most noticeable difference I can make is just getting the location of the tearing to move. Depending on the setting, sometimes it's right at the top 20% of the screen. Change a setting, and the tear moves to the bottom. Really irritating. What am I doing wrong? Seems odd that there is absolutely zero tearing with BD playback, so perhaps it's a sync issue with the streaming sources?
So no advice about the screen tearing? Am I the only one experiencing this?
post #5229 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So no advice about the screen tearing? Am I the only one experiencing this?
I have not experienced any screen tearing. Are you sure you don't have a resolution crossed either on your satellite box or is your oppo doing some video processing?
ArchonX likes this.
post #5230 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I'd like to form a company named "WildX" to do professional calibration. Any objection?
wildgator25 and stevemac32054 like this.
post #5231 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have not experienced any screen tearing. Are you sure you don't have a resolution crossed either on your satellite box or is your oppo doing some video processing?
Hmm. You got me thinking. Everything is running through an Integra DTR-30.5 AVR, which has 4K upconversion. Perhaps THAT'S where the issue lies. I'll check the HDMI Out settings as soon as I get a chance. Each HDMI input has its own setting for signal flow and upconversion. I have a strong feeling this may be the culprit since it's fine with Blu-Ray and funky with the others. Glad to hear you're not experiencing screen tearing. This TV is a beauty. I guess I just have to dial things in a bit further. Not totally familiar with this particular AVR, thus my initial incompetency with it. Haha.
post #5232 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post
I'd like to form a company named "WildX" to do professional calibration. Any objection?
Heck yeah! How is the pay and where do I send my resume?

Edit: The company logo...a gator or Wildgator25's photo? haha But the name, WildX? Sounds like an adult film to me! Maybe we/you can work that into the brochures.
kevinmscs and wildgator25 like this.

Cal-Night/Dark:

Last edited by ArchonX; 11-29-2015 at 10:33 AM.
post #5233 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Hmm. You got me thinking. Everything is running through an Integra DTR-30.5 AVR, which has 4K upconversion. Perhaps THAT'S where the issue lies. I'll check the HDMI Out settings as soon as I get a chance. Each HDMI input has its own setting for signal flow and upconversion. I have a strong feeling this may be the culprit since it's fine with Blu-Ray and funky with the others. Glad to hear you're not experiencing screen tearing. This TV is a beauty. I guess I just have to dial things in a bit further. Not totally familiar with this particular AVR, thus my initial incompetency with it. Haha.
Take the Integra out of the chain, see if you still get the problem. Always use the power of deduction when troubleshooting and I am betting the AVR is doing it.

If not, I would try different HDMI cables. That could also be the culprit. You can get cheap but good ones on Amazon.
wildgator25 and Montucky like this.

Cal-Night/Dark:

Last edited by ArchonX; 11-29-2015 at 10:47 AM.
post #5234 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Edit: The company logo...a gator or Wildgator25's photo? haha But the name, WildX? Sounds like an adult film to me! Maybe we/you can work that into the brochures.
Lmbo!
ArchonX likes this.
post #5235 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:

I think with the software that ArchonX has purchased and the vast amount of time he has spent, there is little more that I can contribute to the picture quality of this tv. ArchonX says that he plans on giving settings for 2 other Gamma settings, so I would suggest others wait for that. My colorimeter is a step down from his and is doubtful that I would achieve anything better than his colorimeter will produce.
While I appreciate your compliments, you have different tastes and eyes than I do. I happen to like your picture settings, as do a lot of others here. You do great work, it is not the paintbrush that makes the artist

Keep up the good work and keep trying different things. Use that i1 Pro 2 to profile your i1 Display Pro 2 and your accuracy will be very good. This is simple to do with Chromapure, HCFR, or Calman 5. It takes less than 10 minutes and you could really benefit from that.
wildgator25 likes this.

Cal-Night/Dark:
post #5236 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Good job ArchonX!
Thank you, I also turn Smart LED on to High for a little more pop.

I did want to tell you this, out of the box this TV is very weak on green and way too strong on blue (as most TV sets are uncalibrated). Is it showing green tint on an all white pattern or with material?

If on white, it is wrong and you did the correct thing to fix it. If on material, there is a chance you are so used to seeing it without green being dialed in that it looks "over green" to you.

If not, it could be a number of things:

-Your TV has better green performance uncalibrated (you can check your pre-calibration graphs but mine are pretty bad out of the box)
-The different factory calibrations
-Slight panel differences

This is why I do not understand why people get so offended about sharing display settings...no it is no substitute for a calibration. But it can get your TV looking a heck of a lot better looking than stock. If things are off, a slight tweak here or there can fix it.
wildgator25 likes this.

Cal-Night/Dark:
post #5237 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you, I also turn Smart LED on to High for a little more pop.

I did want to tell you this, out of the box this TV is very weak on green and way too strong on blue (as most TV sets are uncalibrated). Is it showing green tint on an all white pattern or with material?

If on white, it is wrong and you did the correct thing to fix it. If on material, there is a chance you are so used to seeing it without green being dialed in that it looks "over green" to you.

If not, it could be a number of things:

-Your TV has better green performance uncalibrated (you can check your pre-calibration graphs but mine are pretty bad out of the box)
-The different factory calibrations
-Slight panel differences

This is why I do not understand why people get so offended about sharing display settings...no it is no substitute for a calibration. But it can get your TV looking a heck of a lot better looking than stock. If things are off, a slight tweak here or there can fix it.
The green tint was just on the edges of material, such as people. The slightest adjustment in tint made it near perfect for me. I think it's mostly a personal preference and most people probably wouldn't see it. I imagine I could fiddle with Cyan and Magenta, but just the adjustment to the tint slider was fine for me. Blacks are great and the +1 Backlight adjustment is personal preference also.
ArchonX likes this.
post #5238 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

The naming comes from Wildgator comment of "ladies keeping panties on..." or something similar... lolz.... You wont need a resume. You're in with competitive pay, excellent benefits, stock options, you name it.... Wildgator though, i need to make sure he has the right mind since he seems to make it sound like an adult film company for sure lolz....
wildgator25 and ArchonX like this.
post #5239 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 02:15 PM

ArchonX latest calibrated picture settings for Cal-Night "Nightflow" (Use my other settings for brighter/day conditions and these for dark room or night viewing)

Calibration Notes:
-TV: 55" Samsung JU7100 with the TS01 panel (Samsung, Glossy).
-Equipment: Core i5 Laptop, X-rite i1 Display Pro 3 with Pro table upgraded, SpectraCal Calman 5 Home Theater using internal patterns.
-Keep Gamma at 0 for the very important 2.35 Gamma curve.
-You must put in all of these settings, each 10 pt. Interval and each color to get the full effect.

Stats:
Calibration time: 2 hours 21 minutes
Delta E (CIE94): Under 0.2 for Greyscale, under 0.4 for color
Gamma: Ruler-flat 2.35 on all points

**DISCLAIMER: Due to panel differences, these settings may or may not work well for your TV. Not responsible for bad picture, loss of limb, lost wages, or any other AOG that happens if you use these settings. **

Picture mode: Movie (Or Cal-Night if you unlocked it)
Backlight: 7 (Calibrated at 40 ftl) You can lower this a click or two if you want it darker but most accurate at 7
Contrast: 95 (This should be set for your environment, lower numbers will lower the light output if you prefer that)
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 10
Color: 50
Tint (G/R): G50-R50

Advanced Settings:
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: 0
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Custom (see below)
White Balance: (Turn on 10 pt. See below)
Gamma: 0

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Auto
HDMI UHD Color: Off (unless you have/get a 4k video card or 4k Blu-ray players come out).
Film Mode: Auto1 (Auto2 for ESPN ticker box). May be greyed out, not a big deal either way.
Auto Motion Plus: Off or Clear: Turn this off to get rid of the motion soap opera effect.
Smart LED: Off (or High for more pop)

2 pt. White Balance:
R-Offset: -16
G-Offset: 0
B-Offset: -13
R-Gain: -14
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: -12

10 pt. White Balance: (In R, G, B)

10%: -39, -11, -43
20%: -23, -22, -24
30%: -2, -11, -8
40%: -5, -3, -4
50%: 0, -5, -3
60%: -4, -1, -3
70%: -8, 1, 0
80%: -7, -1, 1
90%: -8, -4, -1
100%: 7, 2, 4

Color Space: Custom (In R, G, B)

Red: 54, 3, 1
Green: 0, 56, 1
Blue: 0, 5, 59
Yellow: 53, 50, 2
Cyan: 0, 55, 55
Magenta: 51, 6, 50

wildgator25 likes this.

Cal-Night/Dark:

Last edited by ArchonX; 11-29-2015 at 02:19 PM.
post #5240 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Can anybody tell me what panel versions are available on the 65" 7100? I'm at best buy and they have two of them with IH02 panels. I see maybe there is also a TH01. What about TS01? Are there known issues with the IH02?
post #5241 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronner View Post
Can anybody tell me what panel versions are available on the 65" 7100? I'm at best buy and they have two of them with IH02 panels. I see maybe there is also a TH01. What about TS01? Are there known issues with the IH02?
Quickly grab the TH01 and walk away..... that is all.
ArchonX likes this.
post #5242 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronner View Post
Sorry to not directly answer your question, but this may help. I just ordered this TV in the 60-inch size (UN60JU7100) directly through Samsung.com. I ordered over the phone so that I could speak with a rep and confirm everything before making the order.

He mentioned to me that all panels sold directly from Samsung are the TS01 or TH01 panels. Not sure if this is true, but this is what he told me. And he put in a note for extra confidence to only ship me a TS01 or TH01 panel. I guess I will find out and report back once I receive it. He also mentioned that the other panels (such as IH02) are given to 3rd party sellers and they sell those. So if you buy from Best Buy, this may be the case.

So rather than buying from Best Buy, the same price is being sold through Samsung.com until 30NOV2015. And you can be a little more confident that you will be receiving a TV with a Samsung TS01 or TH01 panel.

(I personally visited a Best Buy as well, on Friday, to check out the various models in person. Since I decided that I certainly wanted this 7100, I then went home and ordered through Samsung today.)
post #5243 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 04:04 PM

Ah ok. Well I meant I saw online that there are TH01s. All the BBs in my area have IH02s. Going to hold off on those then. Thanks!
post #5244 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ArchonX latest calibrated picture settings for Cal-Night "Nightflow" (Use my other settings for brighter/day conditions and these for dark room or night viewing)

Calibration Notes:
-TV: 55" Samsung JU7100 with the TS01 panel (Samsung, Glossy).
-Equipment: Core i5 Laptop, X-rite i1 Display Pro 3 with Pro table upgraded, SpectraCal Calman 5 Home Theater using internal patterns.
-Keep Gamma at 0 for the very important 2.35 Gamma curve.
-You must put in all of these settings, each 10 pt. Interval and each color to get the full effect.

Stats:
Calibration time: 2 hours 21 minutes
Delta E (CIE94): Under 0.2 for Greyscale, under 0.4 for color
Gamma: Ruler-flat 2.35 on all points

**DISCLAIMER: Due to panel differences, these settings may or may not work well for your TV. Not responsible for bad picture, loss of limb, lost wages, or any other AOG that happens if you use these settings. **

Picture mode: Movie (Or Cal-Night if you unlocked it)
Backlight: 7 (Calibrated at 40 ftl) You can lower this a click or two if you want it darker but most accurate at 7
Contrast: 95 (This should be set for your environment, lower numbers will lower the light output if you prefer that)
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 10
Color: 50
Tint (G/R): G50-R50

Advanced Settings:
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: 0
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Custom (see below)
White Balance: (Turn on 10 pt. See below)
Gamma: 0

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Auto
HDMI UHD Color: Off (unless you have/get a 4k video card or 4k Blu-ray players come out).
Film Mode: Auto1 (Auto2 for ESPN ticker box). May be greyed out, not a big deal either way.
Auto Motion Plus: Off or Clear: Turn this off to get rid of the motion soap opera effect.
Smart LED: Off (or High for more pop)

2 pt. White Balance:
R-Offset: -16
G-Offset: 0
B-Offset: -13
R-Gain: -14
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: -12

10 pt. White Balance: (In R, G, B)

10%: -39, -11, -43
20%: -23, -22, -24
30%: -2, -11, -8
40%: -5, -3, -4
50%: 0, -5, -3
60%: -4, -1, -3
70%: -8, 1, 0
80%: -7, -1, 1
90%: -8, -4, -1
100%: 7, 2, 4

Color Space: Custom (In R, G, B)

Red: 54, 3, 1
Green: 0, 56, 1
Blue: 0, 5, 59
Yellow: 53, 50, 2
Cyan: 0, 55, 55
Magenta: 51, 6, 50

Good stuff!
ArchonX likes this.
post #5245 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 05:35 PM

Thanks! I will look into that option as well.
post #5246 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have Archonx's settings in cal day and cal night and they're wonderful. On the cal day I've made some tweaks for my room and my personal preferences but it's still very close. I only just put in the cal night and it looks pretty great. If I lived in a darker place it'd be fantastic, the colors all look great. Unfortunately my tv is in a room that essentially never gets very dark. There's light pouring in from outside even at night. I wonder if there's a "super mega bright" calibration that would still look proper (not like the built in mode) or just slightly exaggerated.
ArchonX likes this.
post #5247 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonscars View Post
I have Archonx's settings in cal day and cal night and they're wonderful. On the cal day I've made some tweaks for my room and my personal preferences but it's still very close. I only just put in the cal night and it looks pretty great. If I lived in a darker place it'd be fantastic, the colors all look great. Unfortunately my tv is in a room that essentially never gets very dark. There's light pouring in from outside even at night. I wonder if there's a "super mega bright" calibration that would still look proper (not like the built in mode) or just slightly exaggerated.
Thanks demonscars, well 2.2 is realistically as high as you want to go for Gamma. You measure panel brightness with either ftL or cd-m2. 30-40 ftL is considered normal to most, I personally consider them dark/night.

40 ftL is exactly where my night calibration is at, and my daytime is running about 50 ftL (actually about 48 and some change). Sun rooms in Florida can be calibrated even higher than that, but once you jack up contrast and backlight to reach those figures, you will notice with a meter that you introduce errors in both greyscale and especially color which you may find impossible to iron out.

This means instead of being confident you calibrated the set properly, you have to make compromises somewhere to accommodate the errors you introduced.

The easiest method (without measurement equipment) is to either raise contrast (which is safe because I can run mine at 100 and still pass all tests) to fine tune, or raise backlight a notch or two. This hurts really nothing, may throw off the calibration slightly (for your eyes not so much unless you go radical. With a meter, you will see it affects certain things to a small or large degree), but in the end, you want your TV to look good. If it looks good to you and you are satisfied with the performance, at the end of the day that is all that matters.

When I calibrate, I go for broke and get things as close as I can get them (errors low, colors accurate, check, recheck) but if I finish and find it looks bad to me, I just wasted time or will add more because I will have to fire up the calibration gear again to fix what I did. This is why I try and be as thorough as I can be, but I am not afraid to throw a bit of preference in there so I do not have to go back and retouch.

As far as your solution, turn up backlight but I would not go much higher with contrast. This will not hurt anything and the errors you introduce by doing so will be so minimal you will not even notice them. View an all white screen, use that to adjust your backlight so it is not burning your eyes. Light is funny too, one day it can look good to you, the next it may hurt your eyes. I would raise it a click up, so where you are at for a day or so. If you still feel it needs to go brighter, raise backlight 1 more and use it another day or so. If at any time it hurts your eyes (if your eyes are adjusted to the ambient light) it is too bright. You can lower contrast to fine tune as well but I would not go below 90 contrast unless a meter tells you it is good to do so.

Cal-Night/Dark:
post #5248 of 10380 Old 11-29-2015, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonscars View Post
Thanks demonscars, well 2.2 is realistically as high as you want to go for Gamma. You measure panel brightness with either ftL or cd-m2. 30-40 ftL is considered normal to most, I personally consider them dark/night.

40 ftL is exactly where my night calibration is at, and my daytime is running about 50 ftL (actually about 48 and some change). Sun rooms in Florida can be calibrated even higher than that, but once you jack up contrast and backlight to reach those figures, you will notice with a meter that you introduce errors in both greyscale and especially color which you may find impossible to iron out.

This means instead of being confident you calibrated the set properly, you have to make compromises somewhere to accommodate the errors you introduced.

The easiest method (without measurement equipment) is to either raise contrast (which is safe because I can run mine at 100 and still pass all tests) to fine tune, or raise backlight a notch or two. This hurts really nothing, may throw off the calibration slightly (for your eyes not so much unless you go radical. With a meter, you will see it affects certain things to a small or large degree), but in the end, you want your TV to look good. If it looks good to you and you are satisfied with the performance, at the end of the day that is all that matters.

When I calibrate, I go for broke and get things as close as I can get them (errors low, colors accurate, check, recheck) but if I finish and find it looks bad to me, I just wasted time or will add more because I will have to fire up the calibration gear again to fix what I did. This is why I try and be as thorough as I can be, but I am not afraid to throw a bit of preference in there so I do not have to go back and retouch.

As far as your solution, turn up backlight but I would not go much higher with contrast. This will not hurt anything and the errors you introduce by doing so will be so minimal you will not even notice them. View an all white screen, use that to adjust your backlight so it is not burning your eyes. Light is funny too, one day it can look good to you, the next it may hurt your eyes. I would raise it a click up, so where you are at for a day or so. If you still feel it needs to go brighter, raise backlight 1 more and use it another day or so. If at any time it hurts your eyes (if your eyes are adjusted to the ambient light) it is too bright. You can lower contrast to fine tune as well but I would not go below 90 contrast unless a meter tells you it is good to do so.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try it. And thanks for sharing all the calibrations. Really make the set look phenomenal.
ArchonX likes this.
post #5249 of 10380 Old 11-30-2015, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Greetings all,

Taking delivery on a UN75JU7100 later this week ad trying to firm up a few details.

I use Sonos audio throughout the house and want to add a Playbar and a couple Play 1's for the surround sound. I've read conflicting stories about the ability for the TV to pass 5.1 from via the TOS optical port.

I'd prefer to switch components via the set rather than having to use ARC and a separate HDMI/TOS switch (Monoprice.)

Does anyone have 5.1 working via optical from the set using the Playbar?

Thanks much for the help!
post #5250 of 10380 Old 11-30-2015, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
Greetings all,

Taking delivery on a UN75JU7100 later this week ad trying to firm up a few details.

I use Sonos audio throughout the house and want to add a Playbar and a couple Play 1's for the surround sound. I've read conflicting stories about the ability for the TV to pass 5.1 from via the TOS optical port.

I'd prefer to switch components via the set rather than having to use ARC and a separate HDMI/TOS switch (Monoprice.)

Does anyone have 5.1 working via optical from the set using the Playbar?

Thanks much for the help!
From what I understand, it depends on the source. I believe it can output 5.1 from things like the TV apps (like Netflix), but NOT from anything connected to the TV via HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k tv , JU7100 , samsumg , Samsung , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page