***OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS9000 Series Curved Smart TV Thread - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 975Likes

post #1921 of 4295 Old 12-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkest View Post
hi, i just want to see how it looks a real movie clip in UHD, like exodus or life of Pi, ive alredy download a demo from demo ultra-hd, but now i dont know how to play on my tv, i need to put he file on a usb? or play it directly from the pc connected to my tv by a receiver? thanks
Put the files on a USB stick.

Plug it in the USB 3.0 port at the back of the OCB.

Choose the USD Input on the top banner of the TV.

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 4295 Old 12-22-2015, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I might be crazy but with my Comcast Cable box I think the tv gets overall brighter when set to 1080p vs 720p. The tv is so good that I can't tell the difference when its set to 720p or 1080p and then I noticed its brighter? I thought the brightness only kicked in with UHD content?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
post #1923 of 4295 Old 12-22-2015, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Put the files on a USB stick.

Plug it in the USB 3.0 port at the back of the OCB.

Choose the USD Input on the top banner of the TV.

Enjoy!

Usd input top banner? Where's that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1924 of 4295 Old 12-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungFan2020 View Post
Hey Folks, I am new member here but I have watched the forum here as guest for sometime but I am still confused about some stuff and I have questions to ask. I apologize if this is wrong thread to use to ask my questions.

I also apologize for the amount of questions I am about to ask in advance, but I am basically trying to learn and by answering the questions in depth, It will certainty help me understand.
Before I begin asking, I have to explain some things. I have the Samsung UN55JS9000 and I watch SD channels, 3D content, HD Channels, HD Streaming (Only Netflix), Blu rays on it and I am looking forward to 4k and HDR! and I have all my devices connected to HDMI cables with the TV, so no av receiver.

I use Dynamic Mode with the Samsung TV, In fact every TV I have owned I almost always use Vivid or Dynamic mode. I know this mode is not recommended but I happen to like the bright image and I have tried other modes Standard/Natural/Movie and I dislike them all, especially Movie mode. I just dislike Dark scenes and in fact I dislike Dark movies for that reason. It's ok for Dark scenes to happen in a movie for me but not for long periods and I am always looking for bright type of movies. I watch all kind of movies including some Horror but dark or very dark for long time not my thing as I mention, However I noticed blacks are starting to look more gray for me!

I have tried other TVs in the past such as LG, Vizio, Sony, Sharp etc... even including Plasmas. I just happen to like LED and more specifically Samsung because they produce the brightness I am looking for. With the contents I am watching from SD, 3D and HD. I have my TV on Dynamic for all of them and I am able to determine the quality difference. Obviously Blu ray comes in Top with uncompressed 1080p

I have checked few samples of 4k content and I can see the difference between it and 1080p and I like it but Streaming not good enough but getting there. I believe Blu ray UHU should look stunning but with the right movies and higher bitrate.

I have never been a fan of AV receiver, I know a little about it and I mostly care for Good video quality.
I assume people understand how I use my TV by now and what I like and here where I begin my questions but I prefer I have more people share their opinions and answer my questions with the best of their knowledge.

I am considering to calibrate my Samsung 55JS9000 TV Mainly for HD and Blu ray only. however, I have no idea what to expect from doing so, and been using it for good year with Dynamic mode. I know people can use Disney WOW: World of Wonder blu ray disc to calibrate their set, but what should I expect? Will my image be darker? Clearer? Colors more vibrate? More darker? If someone able to explain what to expect and maybe share screenshot to explain that would be helpful, I know pictures not good enough for evidence but it can be useful to explain your point of view. I don't want to find myself buying this to calibrate my set and then find out that I have a darker image and darker colors which would lead me to go back to Dynamic mode right away!

Rtings site have picture settings for the same Model I have, I haven't tried these settings, I just don't want to screw something up with my TV. I just wonder if backlight pushed to 10 - 20 would that be enough for me to appreciate bright image and clearer picture, perhaps? For some reason copying settings may not work properly just guessing here.

I know I am not into Sound quality so this should be easy to answer to. I know DTS-HD does provide clearer sound (At least what I think) for Blu ray but AV reviever/DTS-HD all related to have loudspeakers, correct? If that so. Is it about loud sound or clearer sound? or more like sound effects? The thing is I don't like having high volumes in a TV so having a loud speakers not very idea for me but clearer sound and sound effects in a comfortable volume level would be nice. But I need to understand what it is first!

Lastly, I want some help with HDR! It seems to provide brighter images which is something that i like! but isn't that the same with Dynamic mode? If that so, why would people like something like that if they like their image to be darker? (via Standard or Movie mode). I think I am missing the obvious here but I would like people to help out with answers and explanations

if anyone go to Dolby site, In this page under See Entertainment it does show 4 images and they looks great! I like the second one (Cave floor) the picture shows a difference between dark and light! But this is something similar to Dynamic mode

I watched few HDR samples including Exodus and The Maze Runner from MGO and few trailers by users. I couldn't find the HDR effect! what should I be looking for? As you all know, I have my TV at dynamic mode, this maybe the reason why I can't see much of difference maybe? But it helps to know if that's the reason. I used External Hard drive to watch the MGO 4k HDR content and samples. (I don't have Amazon Prime so I didn't watch HDR there).
WOW!!!

Where to start!

Before I get to your questions allow me to make a quick suggestion:

If you don't mind, could you add your general "Location" (under "Your Profile" details) and add your TV (Samsung UN55JS9000) to your "Signature" (under "Settings & Options" in "User CP").

That would help us to better answer your questions in future posts.

#1 "Dynamic" mode vs. "other" modes:

I read all your reasons for wanting to use the "Dynamic" mode. Hey, it's your TV and your eyes. If that's the mode you want to use, go right ahead and use it.

However, if you want to have an accurate "calibrated" picture, you are not going to get it in that mode.

And even if you were to calibrate your TV in "Dynamic" mode, it would only result in the picture looking more like it does in "Movie" mode.

The "Movie" mode is the most accurate "out-of-the-box" picture mode.

The "Dynamic" mode doesn't just increase the brightness of the screen but also changes other settings such as the "Color Temperature/Tone" of the picture giving it a colder/bluer tone (which also makes the picture seem brighter still).

Now as far as the picture looking too dark in the other picture modes, you can simply increase the "Backlight" in those modes to increase the screen brightness.

Yes, the "Movie" mode coupled with one of the "Warm" Color Tone settings will give the picture a warm reddish hue that will make it seem darker than the colder bluish hue that you are used to (and it just won't look right at first), however, your eyes and brain will adjust to the new color temperature after a few days.

#2 Calibrating:

You don't have to purchase a Calibration DVD, you can download one from here:

"AVS HD 709"

As to the "results" you will get after calibrating, well let's just say that your picture will probably look more like it does in "Movie" mode.

Oh and you don't have to worry about "screwing up" your TV by playing with the pictures settings. You can "Reset" them at any time.

#3 Sound:

You can always purchase a "Sound Bar" if you don't want a complete sound system. There are some pretty good ones out there.

#4 HDR:

No, HDR is not the same as putting the TV in "Dynamic" mode and simply "maxing-out" the brightness.

(Check out the HDR link in my signature. I also include a few excellent links to "HDR basics" in that post.)

For more "Tips & General Guidelines" on picture settings, click on "Picture Settings" in my signature.

Good luck!

Richard
ray0414 and SamsungFan2020 like this.

Last edited by King Richard; 12-22-2015 at 10:00 PM.
post #1925 of 4295 Old 12-22-2015, 09:30 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyflipj View Post
Usd input top banner? Where's that?

Click the "Source" button on the remote.

Richard
krazyflipj likes this.
post #1926 of 4295 Old 12-22-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Click the "Source" button on the remote.

Richard

Oh oops

post #1927 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 12:24 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by larollin View Post
I might be crazy but...
Hey, you said it... I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by larollin View Post
...with my Comcast Cable box I think the tv gets overall brighter when set to 1080p vs 720p. The tv is so good that I can't tell the difference when its set to 720p or 1080p and then I noticed its brighter? I thought the brightness only kicked in with UHD content?

The TV's resolution has nothing to do with "brightness".

It won't/can't affect it either way (whether it's 720p/HD, 1080p/FHD, or 2160p/UHD).

Now HDR is another matter entirely...

P.S. The TV upscales everything to its native 2160p.

Richard
post #1928 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Here's how my screen looks on a black screen. Set smart led to standard with cinema black on. Does this look bad?

Your clouding is almost identical to mine. can you check the build date on the back of your TV? I wonder the clouding may have affected only certain production batches.
post #1929 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzs1 View Post
Your clouding is almost identical to mine. can you check the build date on the back of your TV? I wonder the clouding may have affected only certain production batches.

September 2015

post #1930 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked: 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkest View Post
hi, i just want to see how it looks a real movie clip in UHD, like exodus or life of Pi, ive alredy download a demo from demo ultra-hd, but now i dont know how to play on my tv, i need to put he file on a usb? or play it directly from the pc connected to my tv by a receiver? thanks

You can right click the file in Windows and use the "play to" or "cast to" command to send it to the tv on your network or you can put it on a usb drive and plug it into the tv.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #1931 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 11:24 AM

Anyone know if there is a quicker way to get to turn on game mode?

post #1932 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 11:47 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Anyone know if there is a quicker way to get to turn on game mode?
Game mode is specific to the HDMI input and is not applied to all inputs like the other settings. So for example if you have your PS4 plugged into HDMI 3 then only 3 will be in game mode.

If you are running all your inputs through a receiver and then outputting that to the TV then you will have to turn Game mode on each time which is a pain. You can go into the Menu or I believe you can scroll over on the tabs after pressing the 123/Menu button. One of the tabs can get to Game mode quicker if I recall correctly. I will confirm later if you can't find it.

Personally I would recommend connecting directly to the OCB with a PS4 etc. My guess is the receiver will add input lag. But you are limiting yourself to 5.1 audio if that is important to you.
post #1933 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
Game mode is specific to the HDMI input and is not applied to all inputs like the other settings. So for example if you have your PS4 plugged into HDMI 3 then only 3 will be in game mode.

If you are running all your inputs through a receiver and then outputting that to the TV then you will have to turn Game mode on each time which is a pain. You can go into the Menu or I believe you can scroll over on the tabs after pressing the 123/Menu button. One of the tabs can get to Game mode quicker if I recall correctly. I will confirm later if you can't find it.

Personally I would recommend connecting directly to the OCB with a PS4 etc. My guess is the receiver will add input lag. But you are limiting yourself to 5.1 audio if that is important to you.

If the receiver is not up scaling or doing any video work there is no perceptible input lag.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #1934 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
I use Dynamic Mode with the Samsung TV, In fact every TV I have owned I almost always use Vivid or Dynamic mode. I know this mode is not recommended but I happen to like the bright image and I have tried other modes Standard/Natural/Movie and I dislike them all, especially Movie mode.
My suggestion is to stop thinking and adjusting in terms of modes. Modes are mostly just collections of user settings. Use the user settings directly. If you don't like Movie mode, change the settings that are defaults for Movie mode until they look better to you.
Quote:
I am considering to calibrate my Samsung 55JS9000 TV Mainly for HD and Blu ray only. however, I have no idea what to expect from doing so, and been using it for good year with Dynamic mode. I know people can use Disney WOW: World of Wonder blu ray disc to calibrate their set, but what should I expect? Will my image be darker? Clearer? Colors more vibrate? More darker?
You can take advice from WOW without doing exactly what WOW recommends. Take charge! Try the settings you get after going through WOW's procedure, and if the colors are not saturated enough for you, turn up the Color!

Quote:
Lastly, I want some help with HDR! It seems to provide brighter images which is something that i like! but isn't that the same with Dynamic mode?
I am not a fan of Dynamic mode or, more to the point, the Dynamic user control. I like a picture with good contrast as well as the next person, but I don't think Dynamic is the best way to get there. Turn up Color and/or Contrast instead.

Quote:
I watched few HDR samples including Exodus and The Maze Runner from MGO and few trailers by users. I couldn't find the HDR effect!
My experience has been exactly the same. I watched HDR Exodus and The Maze Runner from MGO but saw no HDR effect.
SamsungFan2020 likes this.

Greg Lee
post #1935 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 08:49 PM

Thank you for taking your time to answer me, I truly appreciate your help. I just hope others share their experience as well.

Right, it seems there are more settings that leads to a more brighter image in Dynamic mode than just brightness, I just seem to like the increase of bright image, As you said it is matter of preference. Let's say I manage to calibrate my set and it is too dark, Would it be fine to use backlight at it's max at 20? Or would it screw the calibration as a whole if I put it to max? It's worth noting I watch my TV on Bright/very bright room.

#2 Calibrating:

I see, so I should expect darker image which doesn't go with what I like, However I may try to adjust to the new picture for few days and If I don't like it, I can reset it.

But let me ask this, Can I have different settings in each input separately?

My idea I rather calibrate the input where my blu ray is hooked up to the TV, while leaving the rest of the inputs in Dynamic mode For one good reason, the SD channels/DVD does look better in Dynamic mode, Making them darker doesn't make much sense, also considering SD have less details and worse image than HD. But is it fine for me to go to Dynamic to movie mode (Calibrating) while switching inputs on my remote?

I ask because it may not be good for The TV but let me know if that's the case.

I am still little uncertain, when you calibrating a set, are you mainly trying to have dim/darker image to match the movie? Or make it feel you're in a theater watching a movie? or making it look real as in better image details?

As I said Rtings have picture settings for JS9000 and you happen to have the same TV. I did see your thread about your picture settings and it differ slightly from Rtings. Can't I simply use a combination of your settings and Rtings? Let me be more specific below to better help me out.

JS9000 Picture settings

Picture Mode: Both Rtings and you have it at Movie mode. So If I need better quality I need to have it there, so all 3 of us.

Color Tone: Rtings have it set on Warm2 and you have your setting on Warm1. My concern I remember changing this setting to cool in the past and it seems to provide brighter image, If anything I think Warm1 isn't as dark as Warmer2 I could be wrong. So I may have this setting in colder or Warmer1 like you. It sounds Cool mode doesn't give accurate picture as you and experts say.

Backlight: Rtings have their setting at 5 while you have it at 10 or 8 for dark room. As I said above would 20 or anything close to it be fine for me?

Contrast: I think this one about having white level or bright image. If I remember in dynamic mode it maybe already at 95. You having it at 93 while Rtings at 95. Would this matter greatly if I go ahead it and set it to 95? I mean these numbers are very close!

Brightness: This maybe my favorite one, Being a fan of brightness would 45 be for me or maybe even 50? You have it at 42 while rtings at 45. Or this may matter for me because if I have backlight at close to 20 then this may lead me to go for lower number as low as 40 - 42, what do you think?

According to you When both "white level" (Contrast) and "black level" (Brightness) are set properly, the display will reproduce very bright, intense scenes with full white detail and very dark images with excellent shadow detail. But does this really need calibration as in AVS HD 709 to achieve that?

Sharpness: This setting adds "extra information" to the image. Basically an illusion as you name it. Rtings have it at 0 and you have it at 10. Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't this setting make sense to have it on or have it increased for SD image or more precisely for bad quality SD channel to improve the picture, right? But it is bad idea to have it increased for a very good quality in HD, such as Blu ray more specifically, perhaps I understand this! But why do you have your setting at 10? Would having this at 0 impact the picture and possibly make it more darker?

Color: I like the colors on Samsung TVs in general but I seem to enjoy the colors on JS9000 a bit more (Nano Crystal seem to help). I imagine 53 - 55 is for me, correct? and Yes, I like having more saturated colors but is that bad for picture quality? You have it at 53 while Rtings at 50. I wonder if this is a drawback if I increase it anywhere between 55-60? before I forget when exactly does Nano Crystal shine in Samsung TV? I at times see colors pop up very colorful in some scenes even in SD but other times they're just okay, so when about they truly become that colorful?

Tint (G/R): default setting, any calibration change this by any chance?

Both Digital Clean View & MPEG Noise Filter: I believe having both on for SD make sense but should be disabled for HD. This brings the question that I asked above having different settings for each input.

HDMI Black Level: I am unclear on this on. Off or auto is best? I don't know if auto is the default setting

HDMI UHD Color: Does this relate to 4k content?

Film Mode: Auto 1 is maybe default setting, I don't think it's off for me. I can double check

Auto Motion Plus: I know this about rapid movement scenes, I have it at standard. Do you have it off? Rtings have it off. But I think this is one setting depends on what you watch. I heard it matters when watching sports. I can perhaps have this off in Blu ray while have it on in HD sports.

Smart LED: Any ideas why rtings have it off in their testing? I don't get it. I also agree with your opinion that it helps having it on. It's a feature that comes with the TV and cost possibly more because of it. Does experts ever recommend have it off?

Cinema Black: Does this have any impact on picture quality whether you enable it or disable it? I am guessing it doesn't.

Dynamic Contrast: I think this is one of the settings that make Image brighter and I think it's high in default with Dynamic mode. You have it on while Rtings have it off and it seems experts suggest it to be off. Do you notice any difference in quality having it on or off?

Black Tone: This have to do with black levels (Having darker blacks). Looks like experts suggest having it off. According to your tests have this improve the quality having it on or off? Rtings have it off and you have it on. I just have a feeling that for me having it off makes more sense, but I am not certain.

Flesh Tone: I have no clue about this, 0 is the default setting?

RGB Only Mode: Same as the one above, no clue. It's off in Rtings but this might be a default setting.

Color Space: Okay, this one is difficult to determine if it have huge effects on colors. Rtings basically goes into Custom mode and changes a lot of colors numbers but I just don't know if I should go ahead and try their settings. Would AVS HD 709 help me adjust those settings for me? I don't know if Color Space have something to do with Nano Crystal with the Samsung Models and I asked somewhere above that I noticed Some scenes in certain SD/HD channels have very noticeable vivid/fancy colors but sometimes it's not noticeable, I wonder if the setting Auto have something to do with it. If I am on the right track, Would Natural gives the fancy colors I'm talking about? but perhaps all the time instead of the auto feature that picks which moments to have that. It's worth noting Dynamic mode have this setting auto I believe.

White Balance: Is this something that best to leave it on default at all times? I guess a professional can do it but not worth the risk for me to try it.

Gamma: I believe you have this at 0 for default setting and same with Rtings but Do you think for my case would increasing it anywhere between 1 to 5? (+) be any good?

#3 Sound:

Sound bar sounds like a good suggestion! But I am still unclear what HD Sound all about. What is my expectation for having Home theater system or Sound bar? Also what if I want to setup home theater for AV, speakers etc... for specific room, Would I have to hire someone to setup the speakers and wiring for me or is that type of thing I can do on my own?

#4 HDR:

Yes, I have read your explanation about it. But i still couldn't see the difference when watching Exodus and The Maze Runner from MGO. I made sure they were HDR versions not 4k one. Quality looked good but I just couldn't see the HDR technology for these two movies. Maybe UHU Blu ray with HDR will make the difference. Dolby versions as well perhaps. Did you notice a difference?

Quote:
WOW!!!

Where to start!

Before I get to your questions allow me to make a quick suggestion:

If you don't mind, could you add your general "Location" (under "Your Profile" details) and add your TV (Samsung UN55JS9000) to your "Signature" (under "Settings & Options" in "User CP").

That would help us to better answer your questions in future posts.

I read all your reasons for wanting to use the "Dynamic" mode. Hey, it's your TV and your eyes. If that's the mode you want to use, go right ahead and use it.

However, if you want to have an accurate "calibrated" picture, you are not going to get it in that mode.

And even if you were to calibrate your TV in "Dynamic" mode, it would only result in the picture looking more like it does in "Movie" mode.

The "Movie" mode is the most accurate "out-of-the-box" picture mode.

The "Dynamic" mode doesn't just increase the brightness of the screen but also changes other settings such as the "Color Temperature/Tone" of the picture giving it a colder/bluer tone (which also makes the picture seem brighter still).

Now as far as the picture looking too dark in the other picture modes, you can simply increase the "Backlight" in those modes to increase the screen brightness.

Yes, the "Movie" mode coupled with one of the "Warm" Color Tone settings will give the picture a warm reddish hue that will make it seem darker than the colder bluish hue that you are used to (and it just won't look right at first), however, your eyes and brain will adjust to the new color temperature after a few days.

#2 Calibrating:

You don't have to purchase a Calibration DVD, you can download one from here:

"AVS HD 709"

As to the "results" you will get after calibrating, well let's just say that your picture will probably look more like it does in "Movie" mode.

Oh and you don't have to worry about "screwing up" your TV by playing with the pictures settings. You can "Reset" them at any time.

#3 Sound:

You can always purchase a "Sound Bar" if you don't want a complete sound system. There are some pretty good ones out there.

#4 HDR:

No, HDR is not the same as putting the TV in "Dynamic" mode and simply "maxing-out" the brightness.

(Check out the HDR link in my signature. I also include a few excellent links to "HDR basics" in that post.)

For more "Tips & General Guidelines" on picture settings, click on "Picture Settings" in my signature.

Good luck!

Richard
post #1936 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
My suggestion is to stop thinking and adjusting in terms of modes. Modes are mostly just collections of user settings. Use the user settings directly. If you don't like Movie mode, change the settings that are defaults for Movie mode until they look better to you.

You can take advice from WOW without doing exactly what WOW recommends. Take charge! Try the settings you get after going through WOW's procedure, and if the colors are not saturated enough for you, turn up the Color!

I am not a fan of Dynamic mode or, more to the point, the Dynamic user control. I like a picture with good contrast as well as the next person, but I don't think Dynamic is the best way to get there. Turn up Color and/or Contrast instead.

My experience has been exactly the same. I watched HDR Exodus and The Maze Runner from MGO but saw no HDR effect.
Yeah, I was thinking to use a combination of two settings and change few settings to my liking.

Or is it better to use WOW or Avs HD 709 better?

I just don't know if they will give different settings than King Richard and Rtings.

post #1937 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I was thinking to use a combination of two settings and change few settings to my liking.

Or is it better to use WOW or Avs HD 709 better?

I just don't know if they will give different settings than King Richard and Rtings.
post #1938 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12609 Post(s)
Liked: 11808
Quote:

I watched few HDR samples including Exodus and The Maze Runner from MGO and few trailers by users. I couldn't find the HDR effect! what should I be looking for? As you all know, I have my TV at dynamic mode, this maybe the reason why I can't see much of difference maybe? But it helps to know if that's the reason. I used External Hard drive to watch the MGO 4k HDR content and samples. (I don't have Amazon Prime so I didn't watch HDR there).
Quote:

I really wish people would stop using the 1st HDR movies that were released as their reference material and sole basis of judgement from. HDR grading takes practice. and yes, you guys are correct, the HDR grading in those 2 movies were very light and barely noticeable. such a shame that samsung/fox/western digital make those 2 movies their free samples because it sorta gave HDR a bad name

If you want a good idea of HDR, i really recommend going with the new mazerunner: scorch trials. it will really leave no doubt about the effect of HDR. or, if you dont want to waste all that time downloading, over on amazon prime, check out the HDR graded "after earth". the HDR grading in that movie is just gorgeous.

but if you dont want to spend the money, download this Video made by fellow AVS member Tom Roper. He graded this in HDR and is very well done. he tweaked this a few times (with feedback from other members) before he came up with a final version that he decided didnt need any more tweaking.

He graded this btw with dynamic contrast on low, so if you want to see it how he graded it, you must put DC on low. I personallyuse medium and sometimes high depending how something was grading.

when he graded this, he gave special attention to the water, giving the water more of a shine. along with rocks and rock piles, the sky&clouds etc. alot of the HDR affect in this video is seen in the amazon HDR "after earth".

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7w...k5dkstNkE/view

by the way, the camera that Tom used to film his HDR clip is the same sony camera that NBC uses to film "the blacklist", which over on netflix is considered to be reference quality 4k material for season 1.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Last edited by ray0414; 12-23-2015 at 09:51 PM.
post #1939 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:

My idea I rather calibrate the input where my blu ray is hooked up to the TV, while leaving the rest of the inputs in Dynamic mode For one good reason, the SD channels/DVD does look better in Dynamic mode, Making them darker doesn't make much sense, also considering SD have less details and worse image than HD. But is it fine for me to go to Dynamic to movie mode (Calibrating) while switching inputs on my remote?

As I said Rtings have picture settings for JS9000 and you happen to have the same TV. I did see your thread about your picture settings and it differ slightly from Rtings. Can't I simply use a combination of your settings and Rtings? Let me be more specific below to better help me out.

Brightness: This maybe my favorite one, Being a fan of brightness would 45 be for me or maybe even 50? You have it at 42 while rtings at 45. Or this may matter for me because if I have backlight at close to 20 then this may lead me to go for lower number as low as 40 - 42, what do you think?

According to you When both "white level" (Contrast) and "black level" (Brightness) are set properly, the display will reproduce very bright, intense scenes with full white detail and very dark images with excellent shadow detail. But does this really need calibration as in AVS HD 709 to achieve that?

Sharpness: This setting adds "extra information" to the image. Basically an illusion as you name it. Rtings have it at 0 and you have it at 10. Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't this setting make sense to have it on or have it increased for SD image or more precisely for bad quality SD channel to improve the picture, right? But it is bad idea to have it increased for a very good quality in HD, such as Blu ray more specifically, perhaps I understand this! But why do you have your setting at 10? Would having this at 0 impact the picture and possibly make it more darker?

Color: I like the colors on Samsung TVs in general but I seem to enjoy the colors on JS9000 a bit more (Nano Crystal seem to help). I imagine 53 - 55 is for me, correct? and Yes, I like having more saturated colors but is that bad for picture quality? You have it at 53 while Rtings at 50. I wonder if this is a drawback if I increase it anywhere between 55-60? before I forget when exactly does Nano Crystal shine in Samsung TV? I at times see colors pop up very colorful in some scenes even in SD but other times they're just okay, so when about they truly become that colorful?

Smart LED: Any ideas why rtings have it off in their testing? I don't get it. I also agree with your opinion that it helps having it on. It's a feature that comes with the TV and cost possibly more because of it. Does experts ever recommend have it off?

Cinema Black: Does this have any impact on picture quality whether you enable it or disable it? I am guessing it doesn't.

Dynamic Contrast: I think this is one of the settings that make Image brighter and I think it's high in default with Dynamic mode. You have it on while Rtings have it off and it seems experts suggest it to be off. Do you notice any difference in quality having it on or off?

Black Tone: This have to do with black levels (Having darker blacks). Looks like experts suggest having it off. According to your tests have this improve the quality having it on or off? Rtings have it off and you have it on. I just have a feeling that for me having it off makes more sense, but I am not certain.

ill keep this short and simple. put your tv settinsg how you like it. dont do something just because someone else does it a different way.

Rtings IMO is not good. they do alot of unconventional things. dont take what they say as a golden rule.

as for sharpness, a few of the pros have commented on how tizen handles sharpness differently, a few of hte pros have said that turning sharpness up to 10-15 did not negatively impact the picture. so IMO adust it however you want. if you want a bright and sharp picture, since you paid for the tv you can watch it however you like lol

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

post #1940 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 59
King Richard I disagree about a replacement with the JS9500. It just does not look very good to me. I would think I am strange being their best set except for Rtings. They are thorough and that at least makes me not feel crazy. I would have had no problem getting the JS9500 had I liked it better.

it is not "calibrated" unless you use a puck system. Two different things. Neither wrong. I do not mind posting what they like at all either. As was said you cannot mess it up.

I am not trying to be a jerk. Just my feelings. Ymmv.
post #1941 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTon464 View Post
King Richard I disagree about a replacement with the JS9500. It just does not look very good to me. I would think I am strange being their best set except for Rtings. They are thorough and that at least makes me not feel crazy. I would have had no problem getting the JS9500 had I liked it better.

it is not "calibrated" unless you use a puck system. Two different things. Neither wrong. I do not mind posting what they like at all either. As was said you cannot mess it up.

RTINGS is a joke. they graded and judged the black performance of the JS9500 with the DIMMING OFF!! who the frig buys a FALD tv and watches it with FALD turned off?? NOBODY lol

they also literally wrote the exact same review about sports on the js9000 and the js9500, almost word for word. yet the js9500 got a 7.5 and the js9000 got an 8.5
denpom likes this.

Last edited by ray0414; 12-23-2015 at 10:00 PM.
post #1942 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 10:39 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTon464 View Post

Hey, no worries.

We are all entitled to our own opinions.

(Even though my opinion is usually the correct one. )

Don't get me wrong here, I LOVE my JS9000.

However, the model I really wanted to get was the JS9500...

... But it was $1,500 CA more than the 9000 at the time.

Not only could I not afford it, but I also could not justify it.

If they had been the same price (or less than a $500 difference), I would have a JS9500 right now.

Why? One "word": FALD.

(Just being honest.)

Richard
ray0414 likes this.

Last edited by King Richard; 12-23-2015 at 11:17 PM.
post #1943 of 4295 Old 12-23-2015, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey guys. Loving mine thus far, but one annoying problem.

When my PC is downloading & I go to another source while it's doing it's thing, I go back to PC & it's black screened.

Only way to fix is to reboot PC & as soon as I do that the PC shutdown screen appears.

I have both TV & PC set to never go into sleep mode.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Samsung JS9000. Epson TW-9100, Alienware Alpha i7. Xbox one, Samsung UBD K8500.
post #1944 of 4295 Old 12-24-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post

Have a receiver and not using ARC. Wish Samsung put game mode as its own picture setting

post #1945 of 4295 Old 12-24-2015, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I know FALD is a big deal. That TV just looks washed out or dull to me. I had it here. OLED too. Yes it is inky black. I found the JS9000 to be the sharpest which is what matters to me. I know they are the same panel Can't explain. I am glad I did not upset anyone though. Just how I see myself. I did not know about Rtings and stand corrected on their credibility. FALD on Vizio does not count. Even though oddly Rtings liked it. I guess that does explain that much.
post #1946 of 4295 Old 12-24-2015, 02:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
RTINGS is a joke. they graded and judged the black performance of the JS9500 with the DIMMING OFF!! who the frig buys a FALD tv and watches it with FALD turned off?? NOBODY lol

they also literally wrote the exact same review about sports on the js9000 and the js9500, almost word for word. yet the js9500 got a 7.5 and the js9000 got an 8.5
Probably because they scored the 9000 better on motion blur which is weighted when calculating the score. It's there in the review, they have blur right in the sports section as they feel it's important for fast action on screen(blur is also weighted on the gaming score). They also do a black level test without local dimming on every TV. They turn it off to show the clouding and flashlighting. They are testing Black Uniformity, not black level performance. They even mention in the review of the 9500 that turning on local dimming helps diminish the clouding. Seriously, it's right in their review. Every set is different as well, not every TV is a perfect one. If theirs was not a very good one in terms of clouding I do expect them to note it.

They explain their methodology pretty clearly IMO and their review isn't a joke as you say simply because they test every TV in the same conditions and noted that one that costs more ended up with more clouding than another one that they also tested in the same conditions. Just look at the good reviews of the OLED sets and then see how many people on these forums have had TVs with issues not noted in the review. Like I said, every TV is different and they can only score based on what their set does. If their JS9000 was near perfect and their JS9500 was not, it will score better. You can disagree with their methods which is fine, but they do all their reviews with the same conditions.
CAiNiAC likes this.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 12-24-2015 at 02:38 AM.
post #1947 of 4295 Old 12-24-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
ill keep this short and simple. put your tv settinsg how you like it. dont do something just because someone else does it a different way.

Rtings IMO is not good. they do alot of unconventional things. dont take what they say as a golden rule.

as for sharpness, a few of the pros have commented on how tizen handles sharpness differently, a few of hte pros have said that turning sharpness up to 10-15 did not negatively impact the picture. so IMO adust it however you want. if you want a bright and sharp picture, since you paid for the tv you can watch it however you like lol
Yeah, I understand and your opinion is a logical one

I just simply what to know what I am going after when I calibrate my TV or simply changing some settings for fine tuning. I am interested for better clarity and bright colors, I may accept slightly lower brightness if I can increase something else such as details or better colors.

The reason I got specific with TV settings because I don't want to change settings that may give me another look like Dynamic mode! I just want to know what settings are for so I know what I am changing.

Do you know why I see a difference in colors with nano crystal? I see Very nice colors at some content while they sort of disappear in another not sure why this is happening!
post #1948 of 4295 Old 12-24-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I really wish people would stop using the 1st HDR movies that were released as their reference material and sole basis of judgement from. HDR grading takes practice. and yes, you guys are correct, the HDR grading in those 2 movies were very light and barely noticeable. such a shame that samsung/fox/western digital make those 2 movies their free samples because it sorta gave HDR a bad name

If you want a good idea of HDR, i really recommend going with the new mazerunner: scorch trials. it will really leave no doubt about the effect of HDR. or, if you dont want to waste all that time downloading, over on amazon prime, check out the HDR graded "after earth". the HDR grading in that movie is just gorgeous.

but if you dont want to spend the money, download this Video made by fellow AVS member Tom Roper. He graded this in HDR and is very well done. he tweaked this a few times (with feedback from other members) before he came up with a final version that he decided didnt need any more tweaking.

He graded this btw with dynamic contrast on low, so if you want to see it how he graded it, you must put DC on low. I personallyuse medium and sometimes high depending how something was grading.

when he graded this, he gave special attention to the water, giving the water more of a shine. along with rocks and rock piles, the sky&clouds etc. alot of the HDR affect in this video is seen in the amazon HDR "after earth".

by the way, the camera that Tom used to film his HDR clip is the same sony camera that NBC uses to film "the blacklist", which over on netflix is considered to be reference quality 4k material for season 1.
Yeah, I think it's best to wait for UHD Blu ray in HDR for different reasons. Generally an exclusive movie may have best picture or close to that so that way I can watch it and see the difference for myself. Also UHD Blu ray have some good things going for it as in more bitrate, uncompressed and so on which might make HDR streaming look like dull comparing to it.

It's worth noting HDR is new and it should get better as we move forward. If anything HDR on blu ray should be a start point to notice a good difference. Maybe even FALD TVs in 2016 - 2017 will likely show HDR in better quality
post #1949 of 4295 Old 12-24-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I think it's best to wait for UHD Blu ray in HDR for different reasons. Generally an exclusive movie may have best picture or close to that so that way I can watch it and see the difference for myself. Also UHD Blu ray have some good things going for it as in more bitrate, uncompressed and so on which might make HDR streaming look like dull comparing to it.

It's worth noting HDR is new and it should get better as we move forward. If anything HDR on blu ray should be a start point to notice a good difference. Maybe even FALD TVs in 2016 - 2017 will likely show HDR in better quality
post #1950 of 4295 Old 12-24-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes and along with HDR and everything for a better picture we will have better surround sound as well with Atmos and DTS:X which is just as important to me. Standard DTS on MGo is fine but I can hear the difference when a blu-Ray is playing the lossless audio.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2-channel audio js9000 internet , js9000 , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page