***OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS9000 Series Curved Smart TV Thread - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 971Likes

post #2011 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi Guys...

Finally, after a long research in the Internet, I got my UE55JS9090... I live in Germany, therefore the model number.
My first impression:
1. The image quality is superb... HD-TV, Blu-Ray, and 4k Videos are excellent... Even DVDs are looking much better with this TV.
2. Most of my MKVs collections are playable... Only some must be re-encoded as they are somehow not supported by this Samsung TV although they are playable on my Sony BD-Player... But still it is much convenient now to wath old movies from my home server through DLNA
3. The design is nice on my eye... Alu-frame, Y-stand... Just elegant..
4. Sound is OK... much better than our old TV... Should be enough for watching the news or some TV-programs... But for watching movies, prefer to have the sound coming from my AV-Receiver.

Unfortunately I have to return the first TV as it shows some imperfection on the panel. We can see it from the reflection. (See the image on the left).

With the second TV, we find the curve is quite perfect. However, there is another thing annoys me, which is the gap between the panel and the alu-frame. It is quite noticeable (between 1-2 mm). And there is not just one gap, but several of them.

I wonder wheter you guys see the gaps also with your TVs and whether it is OK to have them? I just think that for such a premium TV as Samsung classes it, having such a gap shows a bad manufacturing or QA.

Thanks beforehand for your comments.

wbr,
Andry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 07:59 AM

Sorry for the double post... Got a little bit confused with the reply tool ...
post #2013 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Samsung’s smart TVs get added security in fight with Android TV

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/30/1...rt-tv-security

Samsung has announced a new "three-layer security solution" named GAIA for its range of smart TVs, with the aim of securing information stored on the devices themselves (e.g. account passwords and credit card information) as well as data transmitted "between the TV and [Internet of Things] service servers."

This last point is particularly important given the company's recently-announced plans to turn its smart TVs into hubs for IoT devices around your home. Yesterday, Samsung said its range of premium SUHD TVs will work with any SmartThings compatible devices from 2016, meaning that in the future, your Samsung TV could control everything from security cameras to lighting and motion sensors. This makes securing the TV itself even more important — in a network of connected devices, the whole chain is only as secure as the weakest link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2014 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Noticed a big price increase for the JS9000 65inch it had been sitting around $2,800 to $3,000 now most place have it at $3,700..
post #2015 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti-F1 View Post
Noticed a big price increase for the JS9000 65inch it had been sitting around $2,800 to $3,000 now most place have it at $3,700..
Should go down during Superbowl or even before that.
post #2016 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekar_sari View Post
Sorry for the double post... Got a little bit confused with the reply tool ...
There is absolutely no gap what so ever though out the TV. So, one should not live with such annoyance after spending so much.
post #2017 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm having strange problem and I think it has something to do with settings. I just don't know if settings on my AVR or Samsung OCB. I have everything connected through AVR to arc on OCB. When I listen music or radio from my AVR and tv is off, it plays with gaps. Only time it plays flawlessly is when I unplug hdmi cable from OCB or turn the Tv on. I don't know if that make sense, but I'm hoping that someone can really help me with that. It's very annoying to go to box every time and unplug the hdmi cable when I wanna listen music. My AVR is Marantz sr5009 if that helps. Other than that I'm extremely happy with my JS 9000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2018 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Im visiting from the JS8500 thread. I am on my 3rd UN65JS8500 and am going for the 4th soon. they have all had the blue corner bleed.I love the JS8500 for every other reason

Question for the JS9000 owners, . Has anyone switched from a 65 JS8500 for a 65 JS9000?

The only thing holding me back is the CURVE. It will be wall mounted and about 11-12ft from the couch. I looked at the 65 JS9000 today and I like the darker bezel and the full OCB, but just dont know about the curve. Its 500cdn more than the JS8500 right now till Jan.5th.

Comments/suggestions/opinions??
post #2019 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by mures1 View Post
Only time it plays flawlessly is when I unplug hdmi cable from OCB or turn the Tv on.
That's very puzzling. I don't have a theory, but you might try replacing the HDMI cable, or reconnect it to different HDMI sockets on the TV and AVR, or experiment to diagnose the problem by unplugging the TV (since if it's simply turned off it may remain active), or change settings on the AVR to disable the return channel.

Greg Lee
post #2020 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalsor View Post
Im visiting from the JS8500 thread. I am on my 3rd UN65JS8500 and am going for the 4th soon. they have all had the blue corner bleed.I love the JS8500 for every other reason

Question for the JS9000 owners, . Has anyone switched from a 65 JS8500 for a 65 JS9000?

The only thing holding me back is the CURVE. It will be wall mounted and about 11-12ft from the couch. I looked at the 65 JS9000 today and I like the darker bezel and the full OCB, but just dont know about the curve. Its 500cdn more than the JS8500 right now till Jan.5th.

Comments/suggestions/opinions??
I just upgraded to a 9000 from a 7100. I had some screen uniformity and blue corner/side issues on the 7100 that I deemed too much to live with. I was dead set against a curved TV, but I wanted a better set and hoped the 9000 would have a better chance at less problems. Here are my thoughts:

-I don't notice the curve unless I look for it. When I do look for it, it doesn't distort the image in a way that bothers me. I sit 9'-11' from my 65". I guess this just took me some time to get past "the old" and understand a bit more about vision, and the distortion that's created by flat TVs to get past the curve.

-My panel isn't perfect on the 9000 but it is better than the 7100. My 9000's panel flaws are a lot less noticeable. There is still some clouding noticeable on black screen and a bit more blue in the corner and along the bottom than I'd like but it isn't noticeable on normal viewing, unlike my 7100. I used the screen massage method to improve the clouding on my 7100 from bad for fair, and I plan on using it on this panel once it gets to its permanent home on my wall. This kind of thing is a pure lottery, so upgrading is a shot in the dark. I would like to hope that the higher end models would have less chance at these issues, but only Samsung knows.

I hope this helps you. I am really enjoying the 9000.
King Richard likes this.
post #2021 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Hi Guys...

Finally, after a long research in the Internet, I got my UE55JS9090... I live in Germany, therefore the model number.
My first impression:
1. The image quality is superb... HD-TV, Blu-Ray, and 4k Videos are excellent... Even DVDs are looking much better with this TV.
2. Most of my MKVs collections are playable... Only some must be re-encoded as they are somehow not supported by this Samsung TV although they are playable on my Sony BD-Player... But still it is much convenient now to wath old movies from my home server through DLNA
3. The design is nice on my eye... Alu-frame, Y-stand... Just elegant..
4. Sound is OK... much better than our old TV... Should be enough for watching the news or some TV-programs... But for watching movies, prefer to have the sound coming from my AV-Receiver.

Unfortunately I have to return the first TV as it shows some imperfection on the panel. We can see it from the reflection. (See the image on the left).

With the second TV, we find the curve is quite perfect. However, there is another thing annoys me, which is the gap between the panel and the alu-frame. It is quite noticeable (between 1-2 mm). And there is not just one gap, but several of them.

I wonder wheter you guys see the gaps also with your TVs and whether it is OK to have them? I just think that for such a premium TV as Samsung classes it, having such a gap shows a bad manufacturing or QA.

Thanks beforehand for your comments.

wbr,
Andry
Oops, Sorry replied to wrong person.

Last edited by SamsungFan2020; 12-30-2015 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Replied to wrong person
post #2022 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fida View Post
This TV output digital surround sound from Netflix, Amazon, downloaded movies and some OTA channels. I even get DTS from downloaded movies.

I recently bought Vizio 38' 5.1 sound system and I connected it using Optical cable to my TV. After selecting optical cable as audio output option, you get 4 options on the TV under sound -> audio format, (1) PCM, (2) Dolby digital, (3) DTS, and (4) DTS Neo 2:5. Now, I have been playing with these options for over a week now. Most of the youtube content doesn't support 5.1 so I use DTS Neo 2:5 for youtube and it gives me very good results.

The other interesting thing that I have noticed is that if you have a source let's say downloaded movie and you are playing it using TV builtin media player. Now if that movie supports 5.1 dolby digital or DTS, no matter what option you select from 1 to 4, you'll get sound from all your speakers. But if you select DTS (if available in the movie) then you'll get the best result because the audio will not be converted from one format to other. Similarly, suppose you are watching netflix movie that supports 5.1 Dolby Digital and you had selected DTS Neo 2:5 or PCM, again you'll get sound from all speakers but as it will be converted from DD to DTS or PCM, the quality may be low but you'll get surround sound.
Yes, someone suggested to use Vizio one, but I am looking for Sound bar options as well. Will see which is best for me.
post #2023 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I have something different observation regarding color space. I used CalMan home express bundle to calibrate my TV. During calibration, on Color Space, it asks to select different color space and use the one where the Green Dot is nearest the desired point. I have attached the figure for the reference. Native color space was way off than the reference point. Auto was almost near but I had used the custom color space provided by the AVS forums calibration it was almost spot on. (See the figure). So, we all talk about the accuracy of the colors for best experience. How come native could be good if it is not accurate?

I'have also done 2 pt and 10 pt calibration using Home express and I am very very happy with the Picture quality of this set. I'll share those experiences as well.
Was told Color spacing to native does help to give the bright look for the colors and it is something needed for HDR. I may try auto and Native for HD and see if I see a change. I haven't tried custom
post #2024 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Let me put it this way:

You cannot get "true" surround sound from the built-in TV speakers. You can only get stereo sound and "fake/simulated" surround sound.

The maximum sound output that you can get from the TV's OneConnect box is 5.1 Surround Audio. You cannot get 7.1 Surround or any of the HD Surround formats (e.g. Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-Master, Dolby Atmos, DTS-X).

To learn all about Surround Sound, click the LINK below.

How Surround Sound Works

Richard
I get the idea now. HD sound would need Blu ray and if I need good surround it would need a AV and speakers. I was told to try Vizio one, I may try one and one Sound bar to see the difference.
post #2025 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
As I said in my previous post,

"All the light that is coming from the backlight goes through this Nano-Crystal layer regardless of what color space setting is selected. You cannot turn them on and off."

The light cannot somehow "by-pass" the Nano-Crystal film, it HAS to go through this film to reach your eyeballs.

Everything you are seeing on your TV screen is being "enhanced" by the Nano-Crystals all the time. You are always seeing the "Nano-Crystal effect" as you put it regardless of what content you are watching or what settings you have set.

As far as the "Dynamic" mode color space setting is concerned, yes it probably does default to "Auto".

Richard
I really think Nano-Crystal is indeed helpful fo SamSung TV. Just step up from previous models in the past while having HDR and 4k it's all good. Good to know that Color space is in Auto in Dynamic mode, I may need to try few settings out under Movie mode.
post #2026 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
No,

I'm saying that when viewing 'regular' content (that does not make use of the wider color space), using the "Native" setting will 'over-saturate' some of the colors making them look unnatural (because the extra color information is not present in the content so the TV has to basically "guess" and "make-up" those extra colors and shades of color).

Hope that makes sense.

P.S. Again, don't forget to read this article. (See link below)

Ultra HD 4K TV color, part I

Ultra HD 4K TV color, part II

It explains a lot.

Richard
I just wonder how Native will work with SD, HD and Blu ray. It may make SD look good while in HD It may not be useful. But are you sure though that in Dynamic mode color spacing is in Auto? I just wonder how would I now for sure
post #2027 of 4268 Old 12-30-2015, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Had a 55" ES 8000 and the panel needed to be replaced. Instead of replacing the panel BB gave me full credit for the purchase price about 2.5 years ago. Christmas Eve bought the 65" 9000 for a whopping $100 more.

It was just delivered and so far we are enjoying it. My other tv was calibrated and I will eventually get this one done. For the time being I plan on copying someone else's settings and then tweak as needed until calibrated.

Also we used Skype a lot on the other tv with the kids and my parents and we have already missed that feature. Are there other model cameras other than the Samsung VG-STC5000/ZA that works well with this tv?

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #2028 of 4268 Old 12-31-2015, 01:18 AM

Quote:
There is absolutely no gap what so ever though out the TV. So, one should not live with such annoyance after spending so much.
Thanks fida for your answer. I just got also a reply from Samsung. The customer service also says that it's not normal to have such a gap. Will return it to the shop today. Hopefully will get a good one this. #finger crossed#
post #2029 of 4268 Old 12-31-2015, 01:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4216 Post(s)
Liked: 4510
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungFan2020 View Post
I just wonder how Native will work with SD, HD and Blu ray. It may make SD look good while in HD It may not be useful. But are you sure though that in Dynamic mode color spacing is in Auto? I just wonder how would I now for sure

I use movie mode and set native color space for all content. At first I noticed some over saturation but in certain aspects it was more pleasing, especially after a week of use. Not as accurate as doing custom but I don't have to worry about HDR content not switching color space for me this way either. When watching a couple of MGo movies the colors on auto did not match native and it was obvious the switchover to the wider color gamut wasn't happening automatically. I did some back and forth observations and decided to just leave it on native all the time.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #2030 of 4268 Old 12-31-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bury You Alive View Post
I just upgraded to a 9000 from a 7100. I had some screen uniformity and blue corner/side issues on the 7100 that I deemed too much to live with. I was dead set against a curved TV, but I wanted a better set and hoped the 9000 would have a better chance at less problems. Here are my thoughts:

-I don't notice the curve unless I look for it. When I do look for it, it doesn't distort the image in a way that bothers me. I sit 9'-11' from my 65". I guess this just took me some time to get past "the old" and understand a bit more about vision, and the distortion that's created by flat TVs to get past the curve.

-My panel isn't perfect on the 9000 but it is better than the 7100. My 9000's panel flaws are a lot less noticeable. There is still some clouding noticeable on black screen and a bit more blue in the corner and along the bottom than I'd like but it isn't noticeable on normal viewing, unlike my 7100. I used the screen massage method to improve the clouding on my 7100 from bad for fair, and I plan on using it on this panel once it gets to its permanent home on my wall. This kind of thing is a pure lottery, so upgrading is a shot in the dark. I would like to hope that the higher end models would have less chance at these issues, but only Samsung knows.

I hope this helps you. I am really enjoying the 9000.
Thank you very much! Yes it does help. I wish I could find some pics of the 9000 on a wall.
post #2031 of 4268 Old 12-31-2015, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Thank you very much! Yes it does help. I wish I could find some pics of the 9000 on a wall.
There are a couple on Amazon.
post #2032 of 4268 Old 12-31-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you looking for specific pics, or just how it looks on a wall? Our's was mounted and I can get some.
jbalsor likes this.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #2033 of 4268 Old 12-31-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post
Are you looking for specific pics, or just how it looks on a wall? Our's was mounted and I can get some.
That would be cool, just looking for some from a few different angles
post #2034 of 4268 Old 12-31-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bury You Alive View Post
There are a couple on Amazon.
I found them it looks good. Thank you.
post #2035 of 4268 Old 12-31-2015, 10:43 AM

This is where it would be going. Thats the 65 JS8500 there now.

Does it come with angled spacers to allow the use of a normal low profile non-articulating mount?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151231_183842096_iOS.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1153490   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151231_183831035_iOS.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	1153498  
post #2036 of 4268 Old 12-31-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungFan2020 View Post
Was told Color spacing to native does help to give the bright look for the colors and it is something needed for HDR. I may try auto and Native for HD and see if I see a change. I haven't tried custom
I calibrated using auto which was the most accurate according to dec-709 color standard and then once calibrated I switched color space to native. It looks superb for HD or 4k contents. For other contents it seems over-saturated but I can live with that after seeing 4k and HD contents with native.
post #2037 of 4268 Old 12-31-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks fida for your answer. I just got also a reply from Samsung. The customer service also says that it's not normal to have such a gap. Will return it to the shop today. Hopefully will get a good one this. #finger crossed#
I hope you get the best panel as I've got because after proper calibration this tv exceeds many expectations
post #2038 of 4268 Old 12-31-2015, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great links in that 3/6 post!
post #2039 of 4268 Old 12-31-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some pics at about how far we sit from the tv. The far away one is from our kitchen sink. Please excuse the clothes, still getting cleaned up from Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151231_152016_1451593432020.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1153714   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151231_151946_1451593453038.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1153722   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151231_151935_1451593479555.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1153730   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151231_151925_1451593552057.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1153738   Click image for larger version

Name:	1451593585813-1957146200_1451593642989.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1153746  

jbalsor likes this.
post #2040 of 4268 Old 12-31-2015, 01:08 PM

Thanks mx6bfast for the pics. Looks very nice.

Do i need a special mount, or does it come with some sort of adapters to make up for the curve where the mounting holes are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2-channel audio js9000 internet , js9000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page