Samsung JS9500 owners thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5924Likes

post #361 of 13063 Old 03-28-2015, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 View Post
It will take three years from initial release for there to be 50% of 4K BRD with HDR.
Why would you think that? They have to do all new 4K scans from the masters copy anyway. It doesn't take much more at the time to do a HDR pass as well. Plus, SMPTE HDR metadata is mandatory according to the U-Ray specification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 13063 Old 03-28-2015, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
You forgot to mention the display mode ([email protected]@bitdepth) and the picture mode they should select on the TV.
Samsung HDTVs have always been RGB 4:4:4 capable in (but only in) PC mode (a nice Standard or a horrible Entertainments mode, no CMS, only triggered for [email protected] despite the explicit manual PC labeling which is requred for the auto-trigger).
Per the Samsung instruction manual, what you want to do is go into your TV's menu and set HDMI UHD Color to On. Then you look at the test image to see if it is working as advertised. Refer to Page 145 of the JS9500 instruction manual for more information.

I do not think labeling the input 'PC' makes any difference and this step is not described as necessary in the instruction manual.

Also, you are mistaken; there was a big fiasco with their 2014 model TVs where every model that lacked the Samsung mainboard (T-GFP8 or T-GFP9) was unable to display RGB 4:4:4 and still are unable to do so. 4:4:4 has never been a problem at 1080p resolutions or 4K @ 30 Hz, but it has been a big fiasco when it comes to 4K @ 60 Hz for some reason. There are so many manufacturers having problems getting a full RGB 4:4:4 signal @ 4K/60 Hz. Only LG and Panasonic seem to regularly get this particular functionality right.

The only Samsung 2014 models with this mainboard were all HU9000 units and all HU8550 units until August 2014 when they switched to manufacturing the HU8550 models with a third party Novatek chipset (T-NT14). All Samsung 4K TVs with Novatek T-NT14 chipset are unable to do RGB 4:4:4 @ 4K/60 Hz.

And because only the HU8550 and HU9000 models were the only models to use the Samsung T-GFP chipsets in them, the Samsung HU6000 and HU7000 series models lacked RGB 4:4:4 capability despite having the functionality explicitly promised in the technical specifications manual on Samsung's website for these models.

This is why we are all so concerned about Samsung pulling a repeat in 2015, as the wording in the manuals for their 2015 models is the same as the wording for their 2014 models: in other words, they could be lying, just like they lied in 2014, and the only way to know for certain is for someone to actually test out the functionality. I actually purchased a 2014 Samsung model (HU8550) and was forced to return it to the store after I learned Samsung was deceiving its customers by not delivering this functionality as advertised. There were a bunch of us who had this problem last year because Samsung made the switch to manufacturing the HU8550 series with a chipset that couldn't handle full RGB 4:4:4 right before selling a bunch of units during holiday sales, and we had purchased the sets based on the Samsung user's manual promising that 4:4:4 @ 60 Hz was supported
roller11 likes this.

Last edited by wigglywaffles; 03-28-2015 at 08:12 PM.
post #363 of 13063 Old 03-28-2015, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglywaffles View Post
Per the Samsung instruction manual, what you want to do is go into your TV's menu and set HDMI UHD Color to On. Then you look at the test image to see if it is working as advertised. Refer to Page 145 of the JS9500 instruction manual for more information.
I don't personally own a JS9500, I just stepped in to this thread read some specific posts (but started to pick my nose into the discussion ).

Quote:
I do not think labeling the input 'PC' makes any difference and this step is not described as necessary in the instruction manual.
It did for several years (4, at least, I can't remember exactly, may be starting from A- or B-series up until the non-UHD models of the H-series?), PC mode was mandatory to get 4:4:4.
But now I realize I never checked 4k review units at [email protected] becuase my laptop doesn't have HDMI 2.0 I didn't think the frequency will make a difference here. Thank you for the information.

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 13063 Old 03-28-2015, 09:29 PM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2278 Post(s)
Liked: 1921
Quote:
Has anyone hooked this TV up to a PC yet with a HDMI 2.0 graphics card (Nvidia GTX 900 series or Titan X) and had a look at this color pattern test?

If you view this image on your TV with your Windows DPI settings @ 100%, you can see if 4:4:4 (Full RGB) is working. (make sure you right click on the image and select view image so you see it at its full resolution in your browser window -- otherwise the test won't work as it should. AVS Forum makes the image smaller when you view it in a post like this one)

The bottom two lines of text on the red and blue backgrounds should be readable. If the letters are broken up it means 4:4:4 isn't working.

I'd really like confirmation on this because last year Samsung promised this functionality on their TVs and failed to deliver. There's no way to know if they're upholding their promise on their 2015 model TVs until someone tests it.

Can you take a picture so we can see the red and blue lines being displayed on your set?

This subject was "beat to death" and resolved on this or another thread on the forum during the last couple weeks. It was tested and "concluded that they were upholding their promise".

Suggest you try reading the threads rather than just "rolling a grenade into the room".
timc1475 likes this.
post #365 of 13063 Old 03-28-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
This subject was "beat to death" and resolved on this or another thread on the forum during the last couple weeks. It was tested and "concluded that they were upholding their promise".

Suggest you try reading the threads rather than just "rolling a grenade into the room".
I won't be convinced until I see an image of someone displaying this test pattern on their display with the text in the blue/red bars clearly visible.

So far I've only seen one image of this test pattern running on a JS9500 and it was at such a low resolution and so far away that you could not make out any of the text in the test pattern, so you could not see if the 4:4:4 was working or not, defeating the entire purpose of someone taking a picture of their TV with the test pattern on it. I've only seen that one review on HDTV test claiming it worked, but without any evidence backing it up.

There were too many people who just randomly jumped into the threads about this issue on the NVIDIA forums last year with the 2014 models, saying "Guys! Guys! I got a magic Samsung TV that has 4:4:4 working!"

Then we'd ask them to take a picture of their TV showing the test pattern, and sure enough, it actually wasn't working and the blue/red text was garbled in the picture that they posted.

The only way to know if it's working or .not is for someone to take a nice high resolution close up picture of that test pattern, specifically the bottom two red/blue bars which the text breaks on any display not showing 4:4:4.

I'm not just going to trust someone claiming it works without a picture backing up their claim after seeing so many blatant displays of incompetence last time around. No sir-ree. I'm not going to drop a few grand on a TV again just to be tricked by false reports of 4:4:4 working again. I want some visual proof that this issue isn't present in Samsung's 2015 models before I buy in.

Here are some examples some owners of Samsung's 2014 models took of this test pattern running on their displays:
http://i.imgur.com/0k6ncnE.jpg

Note how you can see that because they did it properly, we can all see for ourselves what the text looks like on their screen, and we can tell it looks screwed up @ 60 Hz.

Look at what the text in the blue and red stripe sections looks like on a 2014 model Samsung 4K TV:
http://i.imgur.com/CrBOK9Z.jpg

A picture like these on a JS9500 is what I'd like to see so we can put this to rest.

Last edited by wigglywaffles; 03-28-2015 at 10:46 PM.
post #366 of 13063 Old 03-28-2015, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Look at what the text in the blue and red stripe sections looks like on a 2014 model Samsung 4K TV:
http://i.imgur.com/CrBOK9Z.jpg
Whow. That's garbage. What chroma resolution is that 4:1:1? My 1080p TV doesn't show full 4:4:4 but I can still read that text (even if a little harder than the rest of the test pattern). It doesn't look like a simple chroma resolution halving but more like a software bug (not "optimization" but error).

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #367 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
Whow. That's garbage. What chroma resolution is that 4:1:1? My 1080p TV doesn't show full 4:4:4 but I can still read that text (even if a little harder than the rest of the test pattern). It doesn't look like a simple chroma resolution halving but more like a software bug (not "optimization" but error).
If you have a 1080p TV it probably does display 4:4:4...

4:4:4 was never a problem with 1080p TVs and even the most budget random Walmart cheapo brand from the early days should display it properly. I have six 1080p TVs of random sizes, brands and models from Toshiba, Sony, Samsung, etc. and they all support 4:4:4 right out of the box.

So with a 1080p TV you could just assume it would work fine if you hooked your computer up to it.

That's why it's so annoying that this is continuing to be such a debacle for 4K resolution TVs.
post #368 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
A picture like these on a JS9500 is what I'd like to see so we can put this to rest.
See Post #50 on page #2 of this thread. I posted 2 pictures of 444 working at 60hz. The key was to have the Device Type set to PC.
rlb likes this.
post #369 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 06:54 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0MM View Post
See Post #50 on page #2 of this thread. I posted 2 pictures of 444 working at 60hz. The key was to have the Device Type set to PC.

Thank you. I felt very concerned and would not have been able to sleep until Wigglywaffles was satisfied.
dsinger and 3dprojector like this.
post #370 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Thank you. I felt very concerned and would not have been able to sleep until Wigglywaffles was satisfied.

I bet that is a sentence you'd never have thought you would type in your whole life....

John
post #371 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 07:31 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

For sure!
post #372 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7028 Post(s)
Liked: 7057
post #373 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Chad B spent all day with a UN65JS9500, his review should be up soon......Another fine set by Samsung.
thanks for both of you
will be waiting
post #374 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 10:47 AM

Good, it works. Thanks R0MM.

And I just noticed this guy's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Ten years of viewing here and 2015 is the first year that I recall the current obsession of 4:4:4 Chroma at 60Hz, it's not likely anything less carries SD Turdvision as a result does it? Can anyone here view real content without a test graphic and truly tell the difference?
^ There is an obsession with 4:4:4 chroma now because TV manufacturers have been bungling it with their 4K TV implementations, and many buyers of 4K TVs are PC gamers as the PC is the primary way to drive 4K content right now, and a lack of full RGB is very noticeable when a TV is being used as a PC monitor. It screws up all the text on the display; you don't need these very specific color patterns just to tell that something is off. Everything looks a little 'off' with 4:2:0 -- small black letters will have blueish hues to them in sections, etc.

4:4:4 was supported flawlessly by just about every 1080p TV manufactured so everyone could hook their PCs up to a 1080p TV just fine without this chroma problem so that is why it only became a big issue in 2014/2015 with the arrival of all these half-assed 4K TVs that lacked this functionality that every 1080p TV has been doing just fine for a decade. 2014 was the year all the PC gamers started jumping on the 4K TV bandwagon because the arrival of HDMI 2.0 on the 4K TVs and NVIDIA's GTX 900 series graphics cards having HDMI 2.0 meant 4K gaming @ 60 FPS was finally possible; a critical minimum for PC gaming. Prior to this 4K TVs could only drive 4K @ 30 Hz, and 30 FPS is an absolutely unacceptable framerate for PC gamers, so very few bought in to 4K TVs before HDMI 2.0 equipped 4K TVs arrived.

Many of us were burnt by Samsung last year so that is why we were extra paranoid in regards to the brand this year. This is solely Samsung's fault that they are receiving so much scrutiny this year, because last year they sold many of their customers a falsely advertised product which lacked this key functionality that we purchased because Samsung advertised it having this capability in the user manual.

Thankfully it seems that they aren't lying in their user manual for their 2015 models and it actually does work this time.

With UNH65HU9000's having dropped down to $1,700 on East Coast TVs I think maybe now I will wait until this time of year in 2016 to pick up a 65JS9500 because I want to see just how heavily they get discounted to make room for the 2016 models. $5,999 is too pricy but $3,000 could be doable I can wait a year to save thousands of dollars, as $6k for a LCD, even if it is full array, is just highway robbery by Samsung.
post #375 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
I won't be convinced until I see an image of someone displaying this test pattern on their display with the text in the blue/red bars clearly visible.
Disregard rude replies from a particular individual to your legitimate question.
ROMM's photo is misleading in that the text is not part of the determination, it was there only to establish scale. I should have deleted all the text so that people who don't understand chroma wouldn't incorrectly think the text is deterministic. The 'test' in ROMMs photo was strictly the two squares which confirm 422 chroma with total disregard to text quality. that's why ROMM's low res images were good enough, you could see the colors of the squares.

Quote:
There were too many people who just randomly jumped into the threads about this issue on the NVIDIA forums last year with the 2014 models, saying "Guys! Guys! I got a magic Samsung TV that has 4:4:4 working!"
Exactly, that's why stringent proof photos are required.
Turns out ROMM was forcing his js9500 into 422 chroma mode, that's why his photos returned a false negative. When he set up his TV properly, his photos confirmed 444 at 4K/60Hz, 422 @ 4K/24Hz. And the USB port is likewise confirmed at 422, a downgrade from the GolfP.
post #376 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Chad B spent all day with a UN65JS9500, his review should be up soon......Another fine set by Samsung.
How much for that particular tv?
post #377 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 11:11 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 View Post
Disregard rude replies from a particular individual to your legitimate question.
ROMM's photo is misleading in that the text is not part of the determination, it was there only to establish scale. I should have deleted all the text so that people who don't understand chroma wouldn't incorrectly think the text is deterministic. The 'test' in ROMMs photo was strictly the two squares which confirm 422 chroma with total disregard to text quality. that's why ROMM's low res images were good enough, you could see the colors of the squares.

Exactly, that's why stringent proof photos are required.
Turns out ROMM was forcing his js9500 into 422 chroma mode, that's why his photos returned a false negative. When he set up his TV properly, his photos confirmed 444 at 4K/60Hz, 422 @ 4K/24Hz. And the USB port is likewise confirmed at 422, a downgrade from the GolfP.

We've had numerous suggestions that the interested parties (with a 4K/60 4:4:4 fixation) start their own thread. Most of the posters on the specific model Samsung threads are more than tired of the subject. We've even had a moderator say we've had enough of it.

Unless the primary desire is to irritate others, I can't understand why you don't start a dedicated thread.
timc1475 and 3dprojector like this.
post #378 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Cool. You guys have the best reviews. Thanks
post #379 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I saw a JS9000 today at best buy and it looked really good. I hate curved TV's so I'll settle for the flat JS8500 but the 4K loop looked good and black levels were great certainly blew away my 2011 LG that it will replace.
ray0414 likes this.
post #380 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 11:53 AM
Industry Insider

post #381 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranster View Post
How much for that particular tv?
$5995 in store at Fry's electronics

saw one yesterday

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #382 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
I saw a JS9000 today at best buy and it looked really good. I hate curved TV's so I'll settle for the flat JS8500 but the 4K loop looked good and black levels were great certainly blew away my 2011 LG that it will replace.

in what environment did you test the tv? because I keep reading members saying that it have great black levels in a bright environment which is not the environment to test blacks levels.

Do self emissive display owners are the only people that know this?
Ken Ross and Latinoheat like this.

Last edited by losservatore; 03-29-2015 at 02:03 PM.
post #383 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Samsung UK has the 78JS9500 currently listed, I am surprised the US Samsung site does not. VE says on their website they expect it this week, so I suppose we will know the initial rollout price soon. If it's anything like the 65JS9500 rollout, soon as Amazon lists it at a much lower price than the Samsung site, then Samsung will ironically lower theirs thereafter to match Amazon. Odd UPP.

Either way if one can wait 8 months until BF, that should be the best deal of 2015 based upon prior pricing history for TV's. AFAIK the 65JS9500 debut at 7999 then soon after (only a few weeks btw) Amazon went to 5999 and then Samsungs own website matched it. If I was to guesstimate that the 78JS9500 would debut at 12999 then soon drop similarly to 10999 within a few weeks @ Amazon & other resellers, then BF 7999 - 8999 is probable. OTHO if Vizio R series and the Sony 940c appear true competition this could create a minor bottleneck and decrease the prices further IMO.

Links below:

Samsung UK: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...UE78JS9500TXXU

Samsung US: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/all-products

VE: http://www.un75hu8550.com/65-78-88js9500.html

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Last edited by timc1475; 03-30-2015 at 12:40 AM.
post #384 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
in what environment did you test the tv? because I keep reading members saying that it have great black levels in a bright environment which is not the environment to test blacks levels.

losservatore,

agree its hard to be patient, reviews are coming in. There aren't as many JS9500 owners as JS9000 yet.

In the meantime, here's a translation from German site HDTV Magazin that might help the owners "play" with some settings

Quote:
Tips for Plasma Fans: Activate the HDR conversion of JS9590 and reduce the backlight control to level 5-8, then you should remain open no wishes in the dark room.
Site claims HDR conversion of regular content is triggered by setting Smart LED to High.

They also have a great video that goes into color gamut and HDR, but I don't speak German.

Before owners post pictures that people freak out about, site warns pictures with long exposures don't represent what user experiences. They do say its still LCD, and you can see halos occasionally, and poor viewing angle of course. But they were impressed overall, even in a dark room with above settings.

They are currently testing it against an OLED set BTW.

Best regards, dave

Dave
post #385 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

I didn't "test" the tv I simply watched the 4k loop on the demo floor and thought it looked really good and the black levels were really good. It certainly blew away my current LG LCD in every conceivable way. I figure in my home I could get them looking better with proper calibration. I simply liked what I saw on the demo floor with what ever settings they had on the TV.
turnne1 likes this.
post #386 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7404 Post(s)
Liked: 8303
So Dave, what is the downside of setting Smart LED to high?
post #387 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
So Dave, what is the downside of setting Smart LED to high?
Ken,

Very good question, something I want to know as well. Hoping the owners can help us out.

my two biggest concerns are:

first: it engages an HDR "guesstimate" ala Sony's "HDR". This goes against ISF mantra: , "the picture, and nothing but the picture".. HDTV test (who's really into ISF) turned it off immediately when they found it alters the picture. I lean that way, but find myself a little more open to at least trying it than I was.

second: Concerned about possible black crush based on HDTV Test's results between Low and Standard. If High follows trend, and does have black crush, how much??? Is it variable based on other settings??? Can it be eliminated??? If not, can it be calibrated as low Chad B. wrestled out of 77 OLED??? (he only lost one bit of 8 bit signal if I remember right, go Chad go..

I personally would probably use bias light to avoid the concerns, but interesting idea none the less. note, Bias light is on a dimmer to add yet another variable to play with lol

Again, good question.

Best regards, dave

Dave
post #388 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
what is the downside of setting Smart LED to high?
It's very bright but I like it bright. It might shorten the life of the TV though. I believe LED's will get dimmer over time.
post #389 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How does the Samsung JS9500 compare to the SONY XBR-55X900C?

http://store.sony.com/55-class-54.6-...ny-ces-2015-tv
post #390 of 13063 Old 03-29-2015, 08:35 PM
Industry Insider

By the way we counted 150 local dimming zones on the UN65JS9500. As a reference the Elite PRO-60X5FD had 216 Local Dimming Zones. So not to shabby Samsung.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
js9000 , js9500 , suhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page