Samsung JS9500 owners thread - Page 150 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5942Likes

post #4471 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 06:34 PM
ETA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
ughhh your wrong the led fald are having better blacks than plasma's and more accurate colours as the have a higher WCG. Led is not dead it is advancing now please go back to a Plsama thread so you guys can be in denial by yourself as we 4k owners enjoy what the future brings good day sir..
I've gotta side with player002 on plasma vs led, at least in my case.

My Samsung 65JU7100 has at least the same PQ as my Samsung PN63C8000 and I can watch the JU7100 in a bright room... The plasma doesn't have a ton of hours on it and both sets are on the latest firmware fwiw.

Also, and I'm told that this makes no sense by people who know more about this than I do, the motion handling on the JU7100 is better than the plasma, mainly in that I just set it to "Clear" and haven't touched it since. With the plasma I found that I had to muck with the motion handling depending on the content or I get judder and/or pixelation around moving images.

The only negative with the JU7100 is some slight DSE that is mainly noticeable in lighter "sweeping" scenes (like hockey or, say, a panning shot of some scenery). It's pretty subtle and I'm the only one in the household who really notices it. From what I understand, even the higher end sets (e.g. JS9500) have some DSE (according to rtings, it's slightly worse on the JS9500 than the JU7100, but that might just be the sets that they happened to test with).

And, of course, the viewing angle is a non-issue with the plasma, but we mostly tend to all be within 25 degrees or so of center.

The LED is my go-to set at the moment and I use the plasma (which is in a dark room in the basement) mainly for movie night (it has the surround sound setup).
player002 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Cardinale View Post
Well, after like 4 hours of wiring and set up, my baby is pretty much set.... all I can say, I watched the space demo video from demo3d.... I cried a little from how awesome this tv is. Lots of testing and set up yet, but already I am beyond happy. I did see some blooming, but I haven't messed with the settings to try and fix. I noticed it mainly on a dark screen with my curser.

Image came out funny from the phone, does not look like that IRL. And I am shocked at the size of this. 65" seems almost too big!
Great to hear Nathan. Your setup is very unique. You mention it's almost too big but once you grow accustomed it will be hard to ever downsize cuz it just won't feel right. I can relate to hours of wiring & the more components the more the rats nest of wires can grow behind the tv. I am due for a soon AVR upgrade =

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
post #4473 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
Great to hear Nathan. Your setup is very unique. You mention it's almost too big but once you grow accustomed it will be hard to ever downsize cuz it just won't feel right. I can relate to hours of wiring & the more components the more the rats nest of wires can grow behind the tv. I am due for a soon AVR upgrade =
Thanks, probably one of the few with a set up like mine lol. It looks so much bigger in person, its not even funny.

And yeah, going smaller is gonna suck now when I am at home every couple of weekends.

The wiring was such a b***h, but its all great now and no worries.

General Question, does anyone know if/how to add game mode to the menu bar? I hate digging through the setup menu especially since like sport mode is on the bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4474 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.mirren View Post
Wow 3D!!! Just wish it didn't make me feel sick! Hoping Dramamine will work! Also you don't want a light source either side of you otherwise you'll see the flicker from the glasses.

I've been holding off on Blu ray purchased waiting for 4K discs downstream but am I right in thinking 4K 3D won't exist so I am safe to buy all the good 2K discs I can get now..?

If anyone wants a good demo disc I have never seen a disc mastered as well as Red Bull's Art of Flying Snowboarding movie. It's simply draw dropping on this TV. Just shows how good current 2K discs can look if the time is taken to perfect the recording and makes me wonder how many 4K discs will look better. HDR is another matter though....
Thanks for the suggestion! I will check that out for sure.

does anyone else have any good bluray demo discs they could suggest to show off the js9500.
I am having people over soon and I wouldn't mind a bluray playing in the background to show this baby off
post #4475 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know about y'all, but this seems to have pretty damn good black levels. I took time with exposure and settings to capture these as close to actual color as possible. Unfortunately the camera wasn't able perfectly get it, there is more detail in the dark unable to be seen.

Please note these were taken while the video was playing, not paused, any blur is from the capture. Im amazed at the tvs ability to show the massive light flares prevalent throughout the movie and at the same time have the screen produce blacks that make the tv look off.

You're right in that it's hard to camera capture accurately a display's ability, but your efforts look fantastic! IMO

post #4476 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post

does anyone else have any good bluray demo discs they could suggest to show off the js9500.
I am having people over soon and I wouldn't mind a bluray playing in the background to show this baby off
Man, I just finished watching Star Trek Into the Darkness and honestly think its one of the best demos possible (for none 3d that is). It has so many contrasting areas of light, it makes it an absolute show stopper. All the lights have a really nice flare to them, and then you see outer space and its just black. I was stunned.
post #4477 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
You're right in that it's hard to camera capture accurately a display's ability, but your efforts look fantastic! IMO
Thanks! Check out my gallery here. Look at the 2 same images of earth with the start ship falling towards it. I paused the movie for that shot to attempt to show off how much contrast there is in the tv. I set the exposure to half a second for the brighter shot and STILL couldn't capture all of the stars on the screen. The artistic lens flare makes it look like there is screen bleed, but please note that is A PART OF THE MOVIE. In the darker image, I matched the earths actual brightness and you just see all of the stars are disappeared lol. I just can't capture the set!

I would like to stress, that is NOT screen bleed, simply part of the film. The outer space shots I chose happened to have those areas highlighted making it seem like screen bleed.

Following the help of Ray, I have dynamic contrast on low and black tone on dark. I found using more than low and dark led to blooming and screen bleed, so if anyone is having issues with that, adjust those settings to less or just turn them on the lowest settings.
timc1475 likes this.

Last edited by Nathan Cardinale; 08-18-2015 at 07:51 PM.
post #4478 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjoualee View Post
Any one else get the 1220 firmware update?

Edit: I was on 1219, all my settings were cleared when the new firmware hit.
I got my 1220 and for the 1st time the tv prompted me that an update was available. After the update that took all of about 2 minutes my settings were unchanged. Although it's best to either write them down or take a few quick pics which is what I do once they are tweaked about 60+ OCD times...lol

Last edited by timc1475; 08-18-2015 at 07:54 PM.
post #4479 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I got my 1220 and for the 1st time the tv prompted me that an update was available. After the update that took all of about 2 minutes my settings were unchanged. Although it's best to either write them down or take a few quick pics which is what I do once they are tweaked about 60+ OCD times...lol
I press check for update and it says none available. I'm running 1219.

Also, I only got the smart remote... How am i supposed to get to the menu and turn on the cal day and cal night?

Last edited by Nathan Cardinale; 08-18-2015 at 08:00 PM.
post #4480 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So nice they let you have that in your dorm room :-)
post #4481 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
HDR optimized picture settings for UE88JS9500?

Has anyone else found a way to optimize settings for HDR (high dynamic range) movies? I have several on my WD My Passport Cinema drive for Samsung TVs. In Movie picture mode (ideal for everything else and professionally calibrated) HDR content goes green. When I switch to Natural it looks much better. I wasn't expecting to have a whole new set of adjustments for HDR.

Anyone have HDR optimized settings for the JS9500 (mine is the 88")?
tom03087 likes this.
post #4482 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcrae View Post
So nice they let you have that in your dorm room :-)
Lol, not even. I was in the dorm last semester and that was absolute hell. My own apartment now (albeit with 2 others), so I can enjoy this privately. Now I just need a 78" for the living room!
post #4483 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Who makes that stand?
post #4484 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHMSEN View Post
Who makes that stand?
If you are asking me (use "quote" to notify the person you are trying to talk to), its from best buy, made by Whalen. One of the few 65" compatible stands with integrated mounts I could find. Looks amazing and hold the tv at a really nice heigh. It also is on a swivel.

Btw, if y'all haven't watched this 4k ink video by the slo mo guys on yalls tv, you have been missing out:
post #4485 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Glad you asked. While watching 'Mortecai' a couple months ago, I was struck at how sharp and detailed it was, if I didn't know better I would have sworn it was 4K. Next I got 'Imitation Game', even better. Then John Wick, at least as good. It's like these movies were mastered in 4K. Then I noticed that all these movies were made in 2014-15.
Most 2014-2015 are ordinary, no big deal. But all the '4K like' ones are post 2013.
Personal Viewing:
John Wick
Mortecai
Railway Man
Imitation Game
American Sniper
50 Shades of Grey
Monuments Men
Jupiter Ascending

The superiority of these is so remakable, I put only 2014-15 BRD in my Netflix queue, always hoping I will get a 'gem'.
At a screen size to viewing distance ratio of .74, the '4K' effect was apparent. At .89, the magic was gone and these discs were instantly recognizable as 1920x1080.

I evaluated these with both the SEK-3500 and sek-3500 bypassed, no difference whatsoever. I sent the sek-3500 back, so I need to correct my sig.

samsung un75HU8550fxza TS01/GolfP. Never owned a Nova Tek TV. Nvidia gtx980 w/hdmi2.0 out, windows 7

Last edited by roller11; 08-18-2015 at 09:15 PM.
post #4486 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjoualee View Post
Any one else get the 1220 firmware update?

Edit: I was on 1219, all my settings were cleared when the new firmware hit.
If you and other owners are interested I have created a downloadable Word Template that you might find useful for maintaining a record of your settings.

Here's the link:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post35096953

Ignore my settings (they are for the HU9000 with the new SEK-3500U) and have probably changed a few times since last editing this post.

Especially useful if you maintain different settings for multiple devices plugged into your One Connect Box.

Enjoy!
Thanks Musician, I had mine saved. Just wanted to warn anyone else! Thanks for the share!
post #4487 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just an update. Samsung Australia has contacted me and they are saying they cannot replace the week and a half JS9500 with a new one because they have no stock of it. If anything Ive been asked to wait 2 months for a replacement.

Alternatively they are insisting they can fix it. The rep wasn't sure what causes the vertical bars but they are pretty sure they can fix it. I have heard horror stories about local repair store fixes which can result in further issues at times (uneven lightning, dust behind screen, 3D issues) and not even fixing what it was sent in for.

Im awaiting a call back with regards to how long it will take to fix this issue.

Overall not very happy about how samsung is dealing with this issue that now they have verified as legit.

BTW is anyone seeing better smart LED on high performance with the new firmware?
post #4488 of 13077 Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you guys do anything in particular to help the one connect box from getting so hot?
post #4489 of 13077 Old 08-19-2015, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanguk9117 View Post
Do you guys do anything in particular to help the one connect box from getting so hot?
can anyone comment on actual changes that 1220 has for sure brought??
post #4490 of 13077 Old 08-19-2015, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 View Post
Quote:

Glad you asked. While watching 'Mortecai' a couple months ago, I was struck at how sharp and detailed it was, if I didn't know better I would have sworn it was 4K. Next I got 'Imitation Game', even better. Then John Wick, at least as good. It's like these movies were mastered in 4K. Then I noticed that all these movies were made in 2014-15.
Most 2014-2015 are ordinary, no big deal. But all the '4K like' ones are post 2013.
Personal Viewing:
John Wick
Mortecai
Railway Man
Imitation Game
American Sniper
50 Shades of Grey
Monuments Men
Jupiter Ascending

The superiority of these is so remakable, I put only 2014-15 BRD in my Netflix queue, always hoping I will get a 'gem'.
At a screen size to viewing distance ratio of .74, the '4K' effect was apparent. At .89, the magic was gone and these discs were instantly recognizable as 1920x1080.

I evaluated these with both the SEK-3500 and sek-3500 bypassed, no difference whatsoever. I sent the sek-3500 back, so I need to correct my sig.
Thanks so much-will look for many of these ASAP.

Question-are these good for visual background wowing in a party atmosphere with no audio on? I'm looking for stuff that can be played that will catch people's eyes (maybe like avatar for instance) to impress people with music playing...are these good for that or only for home viewing and watching?
post #4491 of 13077 Old 08-19-2015, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3927 Post(s)
Liked: 3944
Quote:
Thanks! Check out my gallery here. Look at the 2 same images of earth with the start ship falling towards it. I paused the movie for that shot to attempt to show off how much contrast there is in the tv. I set the exposure to half a second for the brighter shot and STILL couldn't capture all of the stars on the screen. The artistic lens flare makes it look like there is screen bleed, but please note that is A PART OF THE MOVIE. In the darker image, I matched the earths actual brightness and you just see all of the stars are disappeared lol. I just can't capture the set!

I would like to stress, that is NOT screen bleed, simply part of the film. The outer space shots I chose happened to have those areas highlighted making it seem like screen bleed.

Following the help of Ray, I have dynamic contrast on low and black tone on dark. I found using more than low and dark led to blooming and screen bleed, so if anyone is having issues with that, adjust those settings to less or just turn them on the lowest settings.
That setting of black tone dark won't survive your calibration I am betting

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #4492 of 13077 Old 08-19-2015, 04:13 AM

Quote:

Question-are these good for visual background wowing in a party atmosphere with no audio on? I'm looking for stuff that can be played that will catch people's eyes (maybe like avatar for instance) to impress people with music playing...are these good for that or only for home viewing and watching?
What about the "Samsung world of color demo" ?

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #4493 of 13077 Old 08-19-2015, 04:31 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2278 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
Quote:
Lol, not even. I was in the dorm last semester and that was absolute hell. My own apartment now (albeit with 2 others), so I can enjoy this privately. Now I just need a 78" for the living room!

50 years ago, I was living in an apartment and going to school (USC) in LA. But my TV was a 21" black and white. Times have definitely changed; but hopefully not the fun and excitement of youth!

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770, Harmony Elite
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and FireTV Stick 4K
post #4494 of 13077 Old 08-19-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
50 years ago, I was living in an apartment and going to school (USC) in LA. But my TV was a 21" black and white. Times have definitely changed; but hopefully not the fun and excitement of youth!
3 or 4 channels, no cable tv, no remotes
rlb likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #4495 of 13077 Old 08-19-2015, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
can anyone comment on actual changes that 1220 has for sure brought??
Samsung should publish such changelog details. It could be in my head but there seems to be less blooming while watching 4K demos from my FMP X10.
post #4496 of 13077 Old 08-19-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Quote:

What about the "Samsung world of color demo" ?
Good suggestion-those are good and between the Samsung demos and YouTube demos I have about 25-30 min of nice 4k stuff but was wondering if any full length blurays like avatar that are 1-2.5 hours are good for background aesthetics wihout volume (playing music for a party)
post #4497 of 13077 Old 08-19-2015, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcrae View Post
Has anyone else found a way to optimize settings for HDR (high dynamic range) movies? I have several on my WD My Passport Cinema drive for Samsung TVs. In Movie picture mode (ideal for everything else and professionally calibrated) HDR content goes green. When I switch to Natural it looks much better. I wasn't expecting to have a whole new set of adjustments for HDR.

Anyone have HDR optimized settings for the JS9500 (mine is the 88")?
I have noticed this issue also, quite annoying (I too have the 88"). I also noticed that I have to power cycle the tv to get the movie settings back to normal again. Also, in case someone had already purchased some of the UHD & HDR versions of movies from MGO and subsequently got the WD passport drive, for me they would not unlock, I had to get MGO to refund the movies I previously purchased and then repurchase them again to get them to play.

I too would be interested in hearing what others think are good settings for HDR. It seems like using the "custom" color space is broken which implies that we have to use their preset modes. Has anyone had any luck trying to redo their Custom settings while the display is in HDR mode (removing the green wash)?

It is my understanding that we cannot force HDR mode in order to calibrate the display for HDR currently (it can only be done via meta data input). Thus, if you have a calibration done for non HDR content, it is useless when watching HDR material. One thing I have noticed that seems to play a big role is the dynamic contrast setting when in HDR mode.

I have also noticed a lot of variation between different content, some material looks superb in HDR (Life of Pi. especially 1:23:00 in where he has the dream sequence ending with the reflection of the stars on the ocean while he sits in the boat, really fantastic showcase of the displays capabilities) while others with the same settings can look rather overblown (Exodus).
post #4498 of 13077 Old 08-19-2015, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by x21inc View Post
Samsung should publish such changelog details. It could be in my head but there seems to be less blooming while watching 4K demos from my FMP X10.
I have also noticed an improvement in picture quality.
post #4499 of 13077 Old 08-19-2015, 08:40 AM

So last night I watched Avatar and most of Prometheus (knocked out at like 5am). If you haven't watched Avatar in BluRay on your set, you are missing out. I haven't even gotten a good chance to watch HDR and I am amazed at the color contrast beyond belief. Blacks like dark holes and brightness like the sun at the same time. The night time scene was to die for.

I played TitanFall also, I used standard mode and turned off a lot of the video processing to speed it up since game mode didn't offer a good balance of picture quality to lag time. At this screen size, it's just cheating!

Also, I woke up this morning expecting to get a movie in before leaving for a week. Disappointed since my power conditioner is already being tested since a massive storm wiped out the power. Good test to see if it survives the power being turned back on.

Quote:

I'm telling ya, Star Trek was amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
That setting of black tone dark won't survive your calibration I am betting
I just hope it gets replicated nearly at least then. I'd probably risk the entire calibration settings if it meant maintaining that level of depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Eh, this it my fun. Not a party goer, I'm here for school and not going to mess it up doing stupid stuff. And btw, I met my Roomate 2 days ago and almost died when I saw his room tv... It's like a 19" flat screen! Could probably use it as a portable did player!
post #4500 of 13077 Old 08-19-2015, 09:01 AM

Nathan I am guessing that setting crushed blacks most of those black tone settings do, how is your shadow detail ? I can run a check to confirm.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
js9000 , js9500 , suhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page