Samsung JS9500 owners thread - Page 223 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5876Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6661 of 13022 Old 11-21-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
denpom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,727
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Not yet, I plan to check out terminator Genisys soon.

Ultraflix says you can adjust the MB speed in the settings. Have you tried that?
funny you mention the speed settings as i was about to post this anecdotal discovery. if you skip the speed check when the app starts and insist on streaming 4K in the menu that follows, everything seems to be working so much better. i was able to stream free stuff and previews without any stuttering and freezing for the 1st time with it.
denpom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6662 of 13022 Old 11-21-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedeep View Post
Has anyone performed speed tests on their JS9500?

I'm getting a maximum of 30-40 Mbps test speeds through the browser on speedof.me (HTML5) and in app via M-GO. This speed is the same regardless if I'm using ethernet or AC WiFi.

My laptop and desktop computers get 150-180 Mbps on these tests via WiFi and ethernet respectively.

I understand the OneConnect should cap out at 100 Mbps theoretically, but I'm not getting anywhere near that. Is this just an artifact of the TV not being willing to suck more bandwidth than it requires or do I have a bottleneck somewhere? Does anyone with high speed internet get benchmarks above 30-40 Mbps on their TV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
After a lot of testing on the HUxxxx series with the SEK-3500 users reported more consistency using http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

I pay for 50 down and 3 up and have my HU9000 with Evo Kit along with my Computer both hooked up via wired connections. Here are my results using the above site...

Tizen Browser

58.2 down 3.25 up

Computer - Internet Explorer 10

58.5 down 3.18 up

This is pretty much in line with the favoured website of the past that my ISP uses to test connections called http://www.speedtest.net that does not run on Tizen. Using that site my computer reports the following...

58.37 down 3.33 up

My recollection is that some HUxxxx owners with the SEK paying for more bandwidth were reporting download speeds in the 100+ Mbps ballpark.
I too was curious to do a internet speed check on the 78JS9500. 1st I tried the usual one I run on my puter speedtest.com but that did not play well with the Sammie since they do not allow the flash player for some kooky rationale. Then I Googled the appropriate speed tests that did work.

Below are a couple pics with the info you can see at the sites listed if you wish to dig deeper into your own network and JS9500 internet capability & quality.

As you can see the 2 sites offered varied speed info. I prefer DSLReports.com over testmy.net not only because it told me what I wanted to hear, (lol) but also b/c it offered more tools to peek behind the curtain more.

Interesting to note that my quad core laptop processor in the last pic shows a "above average" speed of 25927...while the OCB octa core processor shows only "acceptable" speed of 9277. This is odd since the OCB has 4 more cores and one would assume therefore the speed would be much faster.

My only assimilation would be that it is running all of the TV's functions which might slow it down. Unless it's clock speed is just set low per specs determined by the manufacturer. IMO

PS: If you ever wish to view the pics in full more clearly just always right click them and choose "Open in a new tab". Once you do that it will all become more clear and you can increase the zoom as well. Took me a long time to figure that one out. hehehe I do not understand how my ping test could be so good yet the 3 grades of bufferbloat "D" & quality " - " & speed "C" are so low, kinda like my grade school grades.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02128 (640x480).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1071514   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02132 (1280x960).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	1071522   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02131 (1280x952).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	1071530   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02129 (1280x960).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	1071538   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC speed test info.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1071546  

rlb likes this.

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Last edited by timc1475; 11-21-2015 at 01:09 PM.
timc1475 is offline  
post #6663 of 13022 Old 11-21-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
For those of you who would like to learn how to view your PC's media on your smart tv via wireless connection feel free to view my posted thread here:

I would assume wireless wifi connection to your media would be similar for the JS9500 as far as the steps go dependant upon your operating system. Currently I have my JS9500 connected via LAN ethernet but cannot get full media through the network icon under the input mode on the TV, the pics which can be laggy. But I usually for full function just duplicate desktops since it's connected via HDMI to my PC, then I can do anything I want = major bonus.

But for those that have their JS9500 connected wirelessly you may find the post helpful if you ever wish to stream music, vids or pics to your big screen via PC. It is easier with today's smartphones & tablets but no reason why your home PC cannot do it as well via your network as long as it is turned on.

I will soon download the Plex free server and then test it wirelessly on the 2nd tv in my sig in the basement. As I read more and more posts on AVS in various threads, I see that using our big screens in a HTPC environment for multipurpose & multitasking is taking off.

Life is complicated with technology going rampant, I can only imagine how it will all be 5 to 10 years...

UPDATE: Tired the Plex server with my Windows 10 upgraded older laptop but it no workie. Back to the drawing board. I also just realized the BD DVD player & burner now also no workie with Windows 10... so I will have to download a free tard "lite" player or buy a full featured version that will have zero restrictions of playback and burn ability. SMH

I knew I should of not got out of bed this morning.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02047 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	537.3 KB
ID:	1071562  

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Last edited by timc1475; 11-22-2015 at 03:53 PM.
timc1475 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6664 of 13022 Old 11-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Nathan Cardinale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: LA
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
I too was curious to do a internet speed check on the 78JS9500. 1st I tried the usual one I run on my puter speedtest.com but that did not play well with the Sammie since they do not allow the flash player for some kooky rationale. Then I Googled the appropriate speed tests that did work.

Below are a couple pics with the info you can see at the sites listed if you wish to dig deeper into your own network and JS9500 internet capability & quality.

As you can see the 2 sites offered varied speed info. I prefer DSLReports.com over testmy.net not only because it told me what I wanted to hear, (lol) but also b/c it offered more tools to peek behind the curtain more.

Interesting to note that my quad core laptop processor in the last pic shows a "above average" speed of 25927...while the OCB octa core processor shows only "acceptable" speed of 9277. This is odd since the OCB has 4 more cores and one would assume therefore the speed would be much faster.

My only assimilation would be that it is running all of the TV's functions which might slow it down. Unless it's clock speed is just set low per specs determined by the manufacturer. IMO

PS: If you ever wish to view the pics in full more clearly just always right click them and choose "Open in a new tab". Once you do that it will all become more clear and you can increase the zoom as well. Took me a long time to figure that one out. hehehe I do not understand how my ping test could be so good yet the 3 grades of bufferbloat "D" & quality " - " & speed "C" are so low, kinda like my grade school grades.

I do believe they are talking about clock speed, which makes sense. When you had more cores, your clock speed decreases because it produces more heat. Go customize a mac pro on apples website. Look at how when you increase cores, your clock speed drops. Even still, 1 Ghz is pretty dainty :/
Nathan Cardinale is offline  
post #6665 of 13022 Old 11-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Member
 
glenngreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
funny you mention the speed settings as i was about to post this anecdotal discovery. if you skip the speed check when the app starts and insist on streaming 4K in the menu that follows, everything seems to be working so much better. i was able to stream free stuff and previews without any stuttering and freezing for the 1st time with it.
I'm beginning to wonder if there is more than one app version. In the menu bar, under i, mine is version 1.9.00B. I only have 4 items under settings: Rating, Auto Preview, Bitrate [Auto, HD, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, or 15MBPS], and Encoding [H.264 or H.265. I don't know which encoding to select, but I have tried most of the bitrates without success. I don't see where you can "insist on streaming 4K in the menu that follows". Can you elaborate?

Fear is a path to the Dark Side: Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.
--- Master Yoda, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
glenngreen is offline  
post #6666 of 13022 Old 11-21-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
denpom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,727
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngreen View Post
Can you elaborate?
i have the same version, btw. when the apps starts, it performs the speed test that can be skipped (there's a tiny button) which results in a dialog box that offers you streaming options because the speed test failed. one of them is to force it to stream 4K. i haven't touched anything under Settings yet but doing just that made it perform way better.
denpom is offline  
post #6667 of 13022 Old 11-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Member
 
glenngreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
i have the same version, btw. when the apps starts, it performs the speed test that can be skipped (there's a tiny button) which results in a dialog box that offers you streaming options because the speed test failed. one of them is to force it to stream 4K. i haven't touched anything under Settings yet but doing just that made it perform way better.

I found the button (it sure IS tiny), and it took a few tries to hit it during the speed test. :-) I forced the UHD despite the warning that stuttering would occur--and stuttering still occurs.


I want this to work so badly, because there is some good content and maybe more will come, but I'm not paying to watch and listen to this stuttering mess. Even if it is only once every 30 seconds (the best I have gotten so far).


Tizen must affect the app differently than the browsers on earlier Samsung TVs. Still looking for anyone at all that has gotten satisfactory results with UltraFlix on this TV. So far, still no one...

Fear is a path to the Dark Side: Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.
--- Master Yoda, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
glenngreen is offline  
post #6668 of 13022 Old 11-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Member
 
Tim Meitner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Using http://openspeedtest.com/......I just now came up with 61.50 Mbps download / 11.70 Mbps upload with a ping of 20ms through the Tizen browser on my js9500. This is on a 5ghz wireless network. Testing on my PC brought marginally faster results. In the late evening when people are typically fast asleep, I typically get download speeds in excess of 120 Mbps....so I'll test the TV then to see if it follows suit. Anyway....certainly fast enough for anything I have streamed. No lagging or buffering even on 4K HDR material.
jhinesjr likes this.

Last edited by Tim Meitner; 11-21-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Tim Meitner is offline  
post #6669 of 13022 Old 11-21-2015, 08:18 PM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: OH
Posts: 6,211
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedeep View Post
Has anyone performed speed tests on their JS9500?

I'm getting a maximum of 30-40 Mbps test speeds through the browser on speedof.me (HTML5) and in app via M-GO. This speed is the same regardless if I'm using ethernet or AC WiFi.

My laptop and desktop computers get 150-180 Mbps on these tests via WiFi and ethernet respectively.

I understand the OneConnect should cap out at 100 Mbps theoretically, but I'm not getting anywhere near that. Is this just an artifact of the TV not being willing to suck more bandwidth than it requires or do I have a bottleneck somewhere? Does anyone with high speed internet get benchmarks above 30-40 Mbps on their TV?
Out of curiosity, why would you care if you get higher speeds? No site transmits any video that fast.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
rlb is offline  
post #6670 of 13022 Old 11-21-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,186
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Out of curiosity, why would you care if you get higher speeds? No site transmits any video that fast.
Similar to having a Ferrari maybe. No Autobahn in the US but spooling up to 70 miles per hour faster than the guy next to you equals macho!


Unfortunately high bandwidth doesn't equal chick magnet!

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 11-21-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Musician is offline  
post #6671 of 13022 Old 11-22-2015, 12:46 AM
Member
 
Redbirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is anyone else having issues getting 5.1 DD output since the latest Amazon app update that reworked the interface? Have been watching Man in the High Castle and can't seem to get anything other than stereo to my AVR.
Redbirds is offline  
post #6672 of 13022 Old 11-22-2015, 08:17 AM
Member
 
Tim Meitner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just ran a speed test on the Tizen browser...and then through Firefox on my PC. As you can tell, there is obviously a "governor" if you will as to the speeds the Tizen will allow. Both results were done wirelessly on 5ghz network. I think I'll try to run the TV via ethernet next time to see if things get even better.


js9500 speed:




PC speed:


Last edited by Tim Meitner; 11-22-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Tim Meitner is offline  
post #6673 of 13022 Old 11-22-2015, 08:51 AM
Member
 
Tim Meitner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just tested the Tizen browser on an ethernet wired 5ghz network....as I suspected, an improvement, but still about half the speed of my PC on a wired connection.

Tim Meitner is offline  
post #6674 of 13022 Old 11-22-2015, 09:12 AM
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: KC
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngreen View Post
I found the button (it sure IS tiny), and it took a few tries to hit it during the speed test. :-) I forced the UHD despite the warning that stuttering would occur--and stuttering still occurs.


I want this to work so badly, because there is some good content and maybe more will come, but I'm not paying to watch and listen to this stuttering mess. Even if it is only once every 30 seconds (the best I have gotten so far).


Tizen must affect the app differently than the browsers on earlier Samsung TVs. Still looking for anyone at all that has gotten satisfactory results with UltraFlix on this TV. So far, still no one...
So I finally installed the UltraFlix on my TV (I had given up hope after my email exchange in October.) It tested my bandwidth, which is only 17Mb-20Mb/s during the day. It detected 17Mb/s, but I never got a warning about playback quality. I checked my settings and it was set to AUTO bitrate and H265 decoding.

I rented Terminator: Genisys so I'd have newer content to check out, and the dang thing played perfectly. I watched about 15 minutes of it and didn't have one hiccup. :-\ My only complaint is that the audio seemed to be in stereo.

Not sure why mine works ok, outside of it lowering my bitrate. The only thing I can think of is for you to try changing your bitrate down to 15Mb or something lower and see if it works. FWIW
tbrown187 is offline  
post #6675 of 13022 Old 11-22-2015, 10:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Cardinale View Post
So during my usually AV stand dusting (dang black glass top shows even the smallest amount of dust lol), I started to look at my OCB. I had the tv running for the usual 4 hours or so (don't hate), and was just thinking about the cooling pads some people are buying. I noticed the fan pointed downwards towards the glass. If you look, the spacing between the exhaust fan and the surface it sits is pretty narrow. Not only was it heating the glass making the entire area much warmer, but I think it may have been making the OCB fan run a little higher to counter the heat which only warmed the area more.

I decided to take some of those rubber dots you put behind cabinet doors, doubled them up and stuck them on the current pads. It raised the OCB a little more than half an inch. With a little more free air, its a little quieter (either from reduced fan speeds or because the air is no longer being shoved against the glass and being forced faster from the above air) and its also a LOT cooler. I may take them off to get actual numbers from my temperature gun, but just feeling it the box has cooled a fairly large amount. I'd seriously suggested anyone to do this. You really don't notice the height increase, the OCB runs quieter, cooler, and more likely than not better as we all know how heat can make electronics act screwy.
Hm, I looked underneath the OCB and don't see any obvious fan in mine. I just see a small slit on one end of the box. Is the fan internal and not visible, and it blows hot air out of this slit?
Volusiano is offline  
post #6676 of 13022 Old 11-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Nathan Cardinale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: LA
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
Hm, I looked underneath the OCB and don't see any obvious fan in mine. I just see a small slit on one end of the box. Is the fan internal and not visible, and it blows hot air out of this slit?
Yep, all the heat gets pushed through that tiny little slit that sits just above the surface of where ever you placed it. Not necessarily "bad" for it since its designed with that in mind, but I like the reassurance its not going to over heat now. It runs much cooler now!
Nathan Cardinale is offline  
post #6677 of 13022 Old 11-22-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
Hm, I looked underneath the OCB and don't see any obvious fan in mine. I just see a small slit on one end of the box. Is the fan internal and not visible, and it blows hot air out of this slit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Cardinale View Post
Yep, all the heat gets pushed through that tiny little slit that sits just above the surface of where ever you placed it. Not necessarily "bad" for it since its designed with that in mind, but I like the reassurance its not going to over heat now. It runs much cooler now!
I got a few of these fans for insurance against heat & noise for the OCB & my AVR. It's the most quiet functional solution AFAIK. IMO

Awhile back b4 these I wasted my coins on a laptop chiller pad that sooked cuz it was too noisey. It sits in the closet now.

It runs off the OCB USB either 2.0 or 3.0 and comes on/off with the TV. I set the OCB on top of 2 of them, they come either single or 2 packs with adjustable speeds. I use the low speed is plenty of airflow for the application.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-MU.../dp/B00G05A2MU

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quite fan.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1073506  

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Last edited by timc1475; 11-22-2015 at 04:04 PM.
timc1475 is offline  
post #6678 of 13022 Old 11-22-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Early adopters r u ready to pay the premium for UHD BD players? Panasonic appears to be the 1st outta the gate @ $3060.00. SMH

Good pics and artice by another AVS member here> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...l#post38583105

Link: http://4k.com/news/panasonic-unveils...dmr-ubz1-9904/


If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
timc1475 is offline  
post #6679 of 13022 Old 11-22-2015, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
robert9674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 788
first Samsung UHD bd player will be 500$ or less. If not UHD Blue ray dead on arrival
robert9674 is offline  
post #6680 of 13022 Old 11-22-2015, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 16,622
Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12476 Post(s)
Liked: 11665
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
Early adopters r u ready to pay the premium for UHD BD players? Panasonic appears to be the 1st outta the gate @ $3060.00. SMH

Good pics and artice by another AVS member here> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...l#post38583105

Link: http://4k.com/news/panasonic-unveils...dmr-ubz1-9904/


Thats a special version that won't be released here. It has tuners and recorders built in.
ray0414 is online now  
post #6681 of 13022 Old 11-22-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 16,622
Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12476 Post(s)
Liked: 11665
I'm currently watching "Edge" on amazon in HDR. Do yourselves a favor and watch that.

It takes place in the wild wild west and is mostly outdoors, and the picture is absolutely top notch. It's incredible. Easily beats red oaks, Casanova, Bosch, man in the High Castle as far as picture quality.
dmercer3 and Nathan Cardinale like this.
ray0414 is online now  
post #6682 of 13022 Old 11-22-2015, 09:42 PM
Member
 
glenngreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown187 View Post
So I finally installed the UltraFlix on my TV (I had given up hope after my email exchange in October.) It tested my bandwidth, which is only 17Mb-20Mb/s during the day. It detected 17Mb/s, but I never got a warning about playback quality. I checked my settings and it was set to AUTO bitrate and H265 decoding.

I rented Terminator: Genisys so I'd have newer content to check out, and the dang thing played perfectly. I watched about 15 minutes of it and didn't have one hiccup. :-\ My only complaint is that the audio seemed to be in stereo.

Not sure why mine works ok, outside of it lowering my bitrate. The only thing I can think of is for you to try changing your bitrate down to 15Mb or something lower and see if it works. FWIW

I don't know if "the dang thing played perfectly" if it wasn't 5.1 channel audio. However, that is still better than my stuttering picture. I have not been willing to spend any $$ to test, but so far all the previews and a couple of the free featurettes all stutter for me. I have tried lowering the bitrate, but that shouldn't be necessary. The speed test is showing over 30mbits/sec--faster than any provider is downloading anyway. Since Netflix. MGO, YouTube all work flawlessly the only conclusion is that it is the fault of UltraFlix in combo with the new Tizen browser. Not that anyone there will admit, but maybe with the next software version my system will suddenly decide to work with it...

Fear is a path to the Dark Side: Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.
--- Master Yoda, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
glenngreen is offline  
post #6683 of 13022 Old 11-23-2015, 05:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went to the movies and saw the new James Bond movie which has a lot of bright scenes in the beginning and noticed a lot of dirty screen effect. The differerence compared to my own set is that the silver screen is probably actually dirty (unless it is from the projector/windows in front of the projector), causing the same dirty screen effect, but mine is a lot less compared to the silver screen. This just reinforce the fact that once you are aware of DSE you cannot unsee it and people going to the movies are probably aren't as critical as us.
mannyknows is offline  
post #6684 of 13022 Old 11-23-2015, 07:54 AM
Member
 
tscallions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bartlett, TN
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
Tired the Plex server with my Windows 10 upgraded older laptop but it no workie. Back to the drawing board.
The Plex app that was built for Samsung SmartHub was designed from someone in the user community. It's not an official Plex app. I run the "free" version on my MacMini with my media stored on a NAS. The only issues I have had with it is that regardless of the "scan for new media" setting I choose, I still have to manually kick off the scan when I add something new in. Also, sometimes it will just randomly stop playing. Restarting the Plex server software fixes this for me.
tscallions is offline  
post #6685 of 13022 Old 11-23-2015, 11:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Cardinale View Post
Yep, all the heat gets pushed through that tiny little slit that sits just above the surface of where ever you placed it. Not necessarily "bad" for it since its designed with that in mind, but I like the reassurance its not going to over heat now. It runs much cooler now!
OK, thanks for confirming. I followed your lead and put a couple of elongated strips of floor protector (for chairs) underneath that side of the slit to raise it up about half an inch (while making sure that it's not blocking the slit, of course). I supposed I could do the same on the other side to make the OCB level but I don't have any more of those strips so I'd rather double up the only 2 that I have on the one end for better clearance, and I assume that it'd be no big deal if the OCB is not perfectly level.
Volusiano is offline  
post #6686 of 13022 Old 11-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Nathan Cardinale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: LA
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
OK, thanks for confirming. I followed your lead and put a couple of elongated strips of floor protector (for chairs) underneath that side of the slit to raise it up about half an inch (while making sure that it's not blocking the slit, of course). I supposed I could do the same on the other side to make the OCB level but I don't have any more of those strips so I'd rather double up the only 2 that I have on the one end for better clearance, and I assume that it'd be no big deal if the OCB is not perfectly level.
Lol, my OCD would not allow that. I think its like $2 for a 12 pack of the clear rubber dots I used at Walgreens. That being said, the OCB does not have a spinning HD, so slanted should not have any effect. Did you notice any difference in temperature if you feel the top?
Musician likes this.
Nathan Cardinale is offline  
post #6687 of 13022 Old 11-23-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,186
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 5211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Cardinale View Post
Lol, my OCD would not allow that. I think its like $2 for a 12 pack of the clear rubber dots I used at Walgreens. That being said, the OCB does not have a spinning HD, so slanted should not have any effect. Did you notice any difference in temperature if you feel the top?
That's pretty funny... OCD over the OCB.

During the entire time I had my One Connect Box hooked up to my HU9000, although it would run hot sitting at the front of an open shelf in my semi-enclosed cabinet, I never had a problem that raised cause for concern.

However once I replaced it with the SEK-3500 Evolution kit, after a firmware update I started to receive an overheating message which had me moving the One Connect Box and everything has been fine ever since.

Since the SEK-3500 shares the same firmware (and probably the same guts) as the JS9500, I expect you guys would receive the same message if the OCB exceeded a certain temperature as per the attached thumbnail.

My Box has now been relocated to an external shelf behind the TV but my OCD is so bad I would be obsessing over the unevenness too even though I can't even see it!

Fine line between OCD and being a perfectionist!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	1075210  
ray0414 likes this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 11-23-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Musician is offline  
post #6688 of 13022 Old 11-23-2015, 02:10 PM
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: KC
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngreen View Post
I don't know if "the dang thing played perfectly" if it wasn't 5.1 channel audio. However, that is still better than my stuttering picture. I have not been willing to spend any $$ to test, but so far all the previews and a couple of the free featurettes all stutter for me. I have tried lowering the bitrate, but that shouldn't be necessary. The speed test is showing over 30mbits/sec--faster than any provider is downloading anyway. Since Netflix. MGO, YouTube all work flawlessly the only conclusion is that it is the fault of UltraFlix in combo with the new Tizen browser. Not that anyone there will admit, but maybe with the next software version my system will suddenly decide to work with it...
Right, I just meant that, for me, there was no stuttering at all. I just checked some previews and free featurettes and they play normal for me as well (no stutter.) I just hope that their next software version fixes your problem.

Btw, on the topic of audio, I wrote their support again and it looks like they don't support 5.1 audio: Thank you for contacting Support. Unfortunately we do not offer 5.1 audio at the time on UltraFlix. We apologize for any inconvenience!

Pretty surprising to have a dedicated UHD streaming app that doesn't do 5.1 audio.
tbrown187 is offline  
post #6689 of 13022 Old 11-23-2015, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Nathan Cardinale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: LA
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
That's pretty funny... OCD over the OCB.

During the entire time I had my One Connect Box hooked up to my HU9000, although it would run hot sitting at the front of an open shelf in my semi-enclosed cabinet, I never had a problem that raised cause for concern.

However once I replaced it with the SEK-3500 Evolution kit, after a firmware update I started to receive an overheating message which had me moving the One Connect Box and everything has been fine ever since.

Since the SEK-3500 shares the same firmware (and probably the same guts) as the JS9500, I expect you guys would receive the same message if the OCB exceeded a certain temperature as per the attached thumbnail.

My Box has now been relocated to an external shelf behind the TV but my OCD is so bad I would be obsessing over the unevenness too even though I can't even see it!

Fine line between OCD and being a perfectionist!
Never saw that message, but it wouldn't surprise me as more HDR content is released, it pops up for many people. I think HDR is one of the most taxing (read as "heat producing") activities, aside from mini games (of which that one person that actually uses TV games apps really concerns me more).

Can't I be both? A perfectionist OCD? If its not perfect, its not me lol. I think I am the only 20 YO that is concerned with having a nice heavy weighted, plain designed silverware set, matching heavy weighted glass cups, always clear counter tops (bathrooms included), *COUGH COUGH* perfect tv *COUGH COUGH*, and many other antiquities that others my age are greatly confused by lol.
wackedtv and Musician like this.
Nathan Cardinale is offline  
post #6690 of 13022 Old 11-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
BLeClair12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 208
For those that have been following along with my Js9500 saga, you may remember I mentioned that occasionally, the TV was bubbling brown spots. I caught it tonight! I missed the initial bubbling, but got it once it was on the screen.

...problem is, it's still there after about 10 minutes. Of course, I'm still weeks out from replacement arrival, cause Samsung is soooo speedy.

BLeClair12 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
js9000 , js9500 , suhd

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off