Samsung JS9500 owners thread - Page 435 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5902Likes

post #13021 of 13046 Old 06-26-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
??

I really like my JS9500...but to say it compares favourably with the Z9D is a bit of a stretch...
Fair enough but from what I gathered @marc069 who owns both disagreed with you and @thirstforfacts who received a refund from Samsung and applied it to the purchase of a Z9D indicated that he regrets that decision as he preferred the "colors and quality of the JS9500" to which you replied he was "crazy to even compare them". Not really nice to call members crazy now is it?

My point was this is the Samsung JS9500 owner's thread not the I like the Sony Z9D better than the Samsung JS9500 thread.
I get it. I’m also an owner. I’m just comparing the two TVs “in my opinion”. Not bashing. Might be helpful for other owners.

Btw-I’ve appreciated all your help and troubleshooting over the years. Thanks for the expert advice and input
galonzo, ray0414, pilotart and 2 others like this.

Sony 75Z9D, Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13022 of 13046 Old 06-27-2019, 02:53 PM
tdx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Don't know if it's ok to post this here but have a 78" set for sale, local pickup in Queens NY.

PM for details if interested...
post #13023 of 13046 Old 07-31-2019, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have black spots in my screen. What can i do with it? Can it be repaired? Its like black cloud spots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13024 of 13046 Old 08-01-2019, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rivera View Post
I have black spots in my screen. What can i do with it? Can it be repaired? Its like black cloud spots
I had a one black pixel on my JS9500; with partial reduction on a few others around. Samsung credited my purchase because they were unable to fix it (unable to get a new panel). Got an LG OLED instead; never looked back

Fantastic customer service from Samsung.

HT: Trinnov A32 (AL32-1632)/AMP8/8M - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - B&W 802D3, 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, SCMS, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2 - NORDOST Heimdall2/Frey2 - ISOTEK EVO3 Titan,Sigmas - LG OLED65B7V - GIK ACOUSTICS
HP: 2*MOON 430HA D, 2*MiND2 - 2*Yggdrasil - 2*Hydra Z/ZPM - ISOTEK EVO3 Sigmas, Aquarius - NORDOST Heimdall 2 - AUDEZE LCD-4 rev2, 2*LCD-XC - SHURE SE846 - Bose NC 700
post #13025 of 13046 Old 08-02-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked: 5386
Brown Spots / Clouding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berland View Post
I had a one black pixel on my JS9500; with partial reduction on a few others around. Samsung credited my purchase because they were unable to fix it (unable to get a new panel). Got an LG OLED instead; never looked back

Fantastic customer service from Samsung.
Just tossing this out there so Mark doesn’t get his hopes up too high... but the TV you replaced it with is a 2017 model so perhaps your JS9500 was still in warranty. Even at the best of times when it comes to dead pixels Samsung states:

Quote:
Dead Pixel Limited Warranty Statement
TFT-LCD/LED/PDP & Monitors
The dead pixel warranty applies when your TFT-LCD/LED/PDP & Monitors contains more than 7 dead pixels within the standard warranty period of your TFT-LCD Monitor which SAMSUNG will exchange the LCD panel/module, provided that the defective unit is returned to SAMSUNG complete with full accessories and original packaging.
Zero Bright Defect (ZBD) only applies when it occurs within 7 working days from purchased date, regardless of dot quantity, the defective LCD panel/module shall be replace by SAMSUNG.
Bright Dot Defect occurs when pixels are always lit or "ON". Black Dot Defect occurs when pixels are always dark or "OFF".
Suffice it to say, @Mark Rivera ’s 2015 television is probably way out of it’s manufacturers warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rivera View Post
It sounds to me like you are suffering what has been coined “brown spots” or “clouding” on this thread. If you do a search you can see it has been very hit and miss on how Samsung has dealt with the matter — usually those with an extended warranty saw some action (though sporadically) than those without one.

Search this Thread “brown” or “clouding” for pictures (like the one shown below where it is very visible above the MSN app) and additional reading.

As for a fix, the most expensive part of the TV by a long shot is the panel so not really viable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60D7877F-BBA4-4A50-8355-77B26FC9261E.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	2597514  
galonzo, brotony and pilotart like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
post #13026 of 13046 Old 08-06-2019, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Just tossing this out there so Mark doesn’t get his hopes up too high... but the TV you replaced it with is a 2017 model so perhaps your JS9500 was still in warranty.
In Norway all TVs are covered from production faults by law up to 5 years. The law is usually way better than the warranty. But besides this; the one pixel fault was stated as not OK by Samsung here in Norway (regardless of warranty or law). Hence they would either fix it or replace the unit; since they were unable to fix it they decided to credit my purchase - since no valid replacement existed in their 2017-lineup.

Edit:
They said it would be shipped back to Samsung HQ, but based on how they handled the TV when collecting it - I think it went straight recycling. They more or less threw the TV in the back of their van - the original packaging were of no interest.
brotony and RagtopFE like this.

HT: Trinnov A32 (AL32-1632)/AMP8/8M - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - B&W 802D3, 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, SCMS, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2 - NORDOST Heimdall2/Frey2 - ISOTEK EVO3 Titan,Sigmas - LG OLED65B7V - GIK ACOUSTICS
HP: 2*MOON 430HA D, 2*MiND2 - 2*Yggdrasil - 2*Hydra Z/ZPM - ISOTEK EVO3 Sigmas, Aquarius - NORDOST Heimdall 2 - AUDEZE LCD-4 rev2, 2*LCD-XC - SHURE SE846 - Bose NC 700

Last edited by Berland; 08-06-2019 at 06:39 AM.
post #13027 of 13046 Old 08-06-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berland View Post
In Norway all TVs are covered from production faults by law up to 5 years. The law is usually way better than the warranty. But besides this; the one pixel fault was stated as not OK by Samsung here in Norway (regardless of warranty or law). Hence they would either fix it or replace the unit; since they were unable to fix it they decided to credit my purchase - since no valid replacement existed in their 2017-lineup.

Edit:
They said it would be shipped back to Samsung HQ, but based on how they handled the TV when collecting it - I think it went straight recycling. They more or less threw the TV in the back of their van - the original packaging were of no interest.
Ahh, no wonder then your comment in your original post about receiving “excellent customer service from Samsung”.

The snip I obtained from Samsung’s website in North America stating if the panel “contains more than 7 dead pixels within the standard warranty period...” it would be covered is unfortunate when the warranty period is / was only one year like most electronics in the USA and Canada causing many of us to spend even more money taking out extended warranty for piece of mind. 🤯

Cheers!
galonzo likes this.

post #13028 of 13046 Old 08-09-2019, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
fixing a backlights out problem

Well, my UN65JS9500 has lost it's picture - my son said it just went off although audio remained. Had the tech come in from where I bought it, PcRichards (chain local to NYC metro) and said that the backlight was out (wife said he held a flashlight to the screen to diagnose) and total cost to fix was $2600 (of course, no extended warranty). But, I figure maybe (after watching the 33 minute youtube video from Tech Live) that I may be able to pick up a board or two and try to replace it and get lucky. So..a few questions:
- Should 1-800-samsung be able to get into it remotely (not sure if it is set up correctly) and diagnose the failed board or issue?
- if not, anyone know which order I should be able to buy and replace the boards in? Any soldering involved? (I don't intend to take apart a board and replace any of it's components like in that video.)
- any other suggestions to try?

- lastly, anyone near NJ who has a working TV they might want to sell at a reasonable price? Trying to avoid the need to spend lots on the best replacement I could find.

Thanks in advance
post #13029 of 13046 Old 08-09-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 5233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCready View Post
Well, my UN65JS9500 has lost it's picture - my son said it just went off although audio remained. Had the tech come in from where I bought it, PcRichards (chain local to NYC metro) and said that the backlight was out (wife said he held a flashlight to the screen to diagnose) and total cost to fix was $2600 (of course, no extended warranty). But, I figure maybe (after watching the 33 minute youtube video from Tech Live) that I may be able to pick up a board or two and try to replace it and get lucky. So..a few questions:
- Should 1-800-samsung be able to get into it remotely (not sure if it is set up correctly) and diagnose the failed board or issue?
- if not, anyone know which order I should be able to buy and replace the boards in? Any soldering involved? (I don't intend to take apart a board and replace any of it's components like in that video.)

- lastly, anyone near NJ who has a working TV they might want to sell at a reasonable price? Trying to avoid the need to spend lots on the best replacement I could find.

Thanks in advance
I had the same thing happen to me. Screen went black but sound still worked.
I brought it to a local independent TV repair guy. He diagnosed a bad powerboard.
Back in January, I got it repaired for about 1/4 of the price you were quoted.
Good luck!

Spoiler!
post #13030 of 13046 Old 08-10-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
One connect box question

I have an 88js9500 and just had a one connect box failure. I happened to have a spare one ( long story) so the fix was easy. I’ve managed to find another to keep as a spare, but they seem to be hard to find. My question is this— is there a more current, easier to find one connect box that works with this tv? If not, are broken boxes easily repairable? Thanks
post #13031 of 13046 Old 08-17-2019, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Got this message on TV today: There's a problem with the cooling fan your TV will be turned off shortly to prevent overheating. But the TV didn't go off.

I restarted it a few minutes after and didn't get that error message again. What could it be?
post #13032 of 13046 Old 08-17-2019, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vvege Services View Post
Got this message on TV today: There's a problem with the cooling fan your TV will be turned off shortly to prevent overheating. But the TV didn't go off.

I restarted it a few minutes after and didn't get that error message again. What could it be?
Could be overheating or your fan is going out. Some of us added laptop cooling fans to increase the ventilation. I actually took mine apart once and the fan seems to grind dust down to fine grit. Wasn't much to clean up though.

Excellent post by @Musician here
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...php?p=56880664

The link still works too!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
galonzo and Musician like this.
post #13033 of 13046 Old 10-06-2019, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks in advance
Mine did this for the second time in 6 months. The Magnolia/Geek Squad guys came 3 weeks ago and confirmed the diagnosis of the backlight board being bad, same as it was six months ago. They ordered every replaceable board and power supply inside the tv including the IR and the power/toggle switch. They said because they are replacing one of the boards I am also getting a new one connect box as well, not sure what to think about that. They say that I am not near the monetary limit for a replacement TV and that except for the panel I'm basically getting a new TV, not sure what to think about that either. They said there is still a chance that once they put all these parts in that the panel could still be bad, that's what I'm kinda hoping for since my Magnolia warranty is up in February and if the panel is bad it'll be an automatic replacement/refund of the TV.
post #13034 of 13046 Old 10-08-2019, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

Thanks in advance
My own js9500 (purchased in 2015) seems to be breaking down.

Sometimes when i turn on the tv the picture looks like "duplicate"
Sometimes tv screen stays black but the sound remained. After a while the picture will appear but the picture is like "duplicate". Sometimes picture blinks before these happen.
Everything starts working when I restart tv.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191007_211803.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2625206   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191007_211818.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	774.3 KB
ID:	2625208  
post #13035 of 13046 Old 10-08-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital jon View Post
My own js9500 (purchased in 2015) seems to be breaking down.

Sometimes when i turn on the tv the picture looks like "duplicate"
Sometimes tv screen stays black but the sound remained. After a while the picture will appear but the picture is like "duplicate". Sometimes picture blinks before these happen.
Everything starts working when I restart tv.
As a matter of fact my HU7000 had a similar issue as did a few other guys on Samsung threads in the early days that seemed to be an intermittent bug that eventually disappeared.

Not saying I have the magic cure but here are a few suggestions you might want to try before calling a repair shop (especially if you don’t have an extended warranty):

Suggestion 1

Make sure your firmware is up to date by going into Menu >> Support >> Software Update >> Update Now

Current version for North America is 1540 (and I believe the current version for Finland is 1530 which was updated on your TV on March 21, 2018 according to a past post of yours but check your country’s website to confirm).

Suggestion 2

Sometimes restarting the TV isn’t enough.

To deal with a Samsung TV that is acting up turn it off and then disconnect the TV power cord and then press the middle toggle button located in the rear lower corner of the TV to discharge the One Connect Box until the red light on the front of the TV has stopped blinking before plugging it back in and powering the TV on again.

This has helped many, many, Samsung TV owners so I would probably try this idea first because it doesn’t require the amount of effort as the next two suggestions.

Suggestion 3

1) Power down ALL your equipment and remove ALL the HDMI cables from the TV, One Connect Box, A/V Receiver (if applicable), and ALL of your other devices.

2) Disconnect ALL the electrical power cords from the wall.

3) Discharge the One Connect Box by pressing the middle toggle button located at the rear of the TV until the red light on the TV has stopped blinking.

4) Disconnect the One Connect Box from the TV once the red light stops.

5) Get yourself a cold beer 🍺

Now hook everything back up and see how it goes.

Suggestion 4

When all else fails...

Menu >> Support >> Self Diagnosis >> Reset

...which has helped many more over the years and generally the one Samsung suggests as the first thing to try.

Note: Settings would need to be reentered so make sure you record them all before proceeding with a Reset.

Please let us know how it goes.
galonzo and pilotart like this.

Last edited by Musician; 10-08-2019 at 05:05 PM.
post #13036 of 13046 Old 10-16-2019, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
samsung customer service did a hard reset through net. Worked until today in the middle of the program picture disappeared. now only a black screen appears (and sound).

if i take a picture cord off a "reconnect cable" icon will appear on the television.

So "one connection box" is broken or something else?
post #13037 of 13046 Old 10-16-2019, 07:22 PM

My JS9500 went thru the dreaded brown spots, had it's panel replaced (out of warranty) 1 year and 1 week from purchase, the panel it was replaced with had more severe brown spots but Samsung refused to change it again. Fast forward 1 year later (just last week) the tv went black, LED's went out, Samsung (with a lot of convincing from me) decided to send a tech out and fix the issue. I just got word today that Samsung will be contacting me in a few days to replace my TV with something else. After spending a good bit of money for a FALD tv, I'm wondering what my chances are of getting an equally good tv now? I just wanted this one fixed, as I was happy with the picture (aside from those brown spots) but now it seems I may be forced getting something I may not want?
post #13038 of 13046 Old 10-16-2019, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12806 Post(s)
Liked: 12148
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFonso View Post
My JS9500 went thru the dreaded brown spots, had it's panel replaced (out of warranty) 1 year and 1 week from purchase, the panel it was replaced with had more severe brown spots but Samsung refused to change it again. Fast forward 1 year later (just last week) the tv went black, LED's went out, Samsung (with a lot of convincing from me) decided to send a tech out and fix the issue. I just got word today that Samsung will be contacting me in a few days to replace my TV with something else. After spending a good bit of money for a FALD tv, I'm wondering what my chances are of getting an equally good tv now? I just wanted this one fixed, as I was happy with the picture (aside from those brown spots) but now it seems I may be forced getting something I may not want?
Be aware, you're going to lose 3d.

a Q80 or Q90 should both be upgrades. Hold your ground that you purchased a flagship TV and would like a flagship replacement. Good news is that TV prices have dropped alot since then. It's also possible that if they offer you a mid level TV, you may be able to offer to pay the difference for one of the higher end models. Because it's out of warranty, I don't think that would be a terrible option considering they technically don't have any obligation to offer you anything anyways.
galonzo, Musician and JayFonso like this.
post #13039 of 13046 Old 10-17-2019, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the reply Ray, I just got off the phone with Samsung, and they are sending me a Q90R as a replacement for my JS9500. I'm told it's their current flagship, and upon doing some quick searches online, I'm seeing reviews from folks either loving it, or hating it, many calling it a step down from their last flagship of 2018. Hopefully It turns out to be a good panel *fingers crossed*.
RagtopFE likes this.
post #13040 of 13046 Old 10-17-2019, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12806 Post(s)
Liked: 12148
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFonso View Post
Thanks for the reply Ray, I just got off the phone with Samsung, and they are sending me a Q90R as a replacement for my JS9500. I'm told it's their current flagship, and upon doing some quick searches online, I'm seeing reviews from folks either loving it, or hating it, many calling it a step down from their last flagship of 2018. Hopefully It turns out to be a good panel *fingers crossed*.

I've owned them all. You'll be very happy 😊 congrats on a free flagship!!

I will say though that readjusting to a flat TV will be the hardest part. It will definitely seem weird for a while lol
galonzo and Musician like this.
post #13041 of 13046 Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
3D and Atmos

To use Vudu 3D movies I have to use the Vudu app on my sek3500 or it says not supported from Roku or Shield and Firestick doesn't have Vudu.
My question is will my TV JS9500 pass Atmos to my Denon 3500x thru HDMI or Optical?

It wasn't broke 'till I fixed it!!
UN78JS9500 UN55HU9000 UN46F8000BFXZA
UBD-K8500/ZA (2) UBD-K9500
Denon AVR X3500H (2)
Harmony Elite (2)
post #13042 of 13046 Old 11-11-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 1850
@CopyRon , no, the JS9500 does not support Atmos over ARC, and optical cannot do Atmos at all (on any device).
Musician, RagtopFE and CopyRon like this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (5.1.4) | UDP-203 | TiVo Bolt | Shield | PS4 Pro
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hot Fuzz and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #13043 of 13046 Old 11-11-2019, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
samsung customer service did a hard reset through net. Worked until today in the middle of the program picture disappeared. now only a black screen appears (and sound).
if i take a picture cord off a "reconnect cable" icon will appear on the television.
So "one connection box" is broken or something else?

Sounds like what happened to me, and it was my one connect box. A new one fixed it.
post #13044 of 13046 Old 11-19-2019, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I knew we weren’t going to get the Apple+ app but I thought we would get the Disney+ app. Nope.
post #13045 of 13046 Old 11-20-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 1850
Yes @Sandmane , we missed it by one year (I believe the 2016s got it); now if only Samsung would have honored their yearly Evo Kit "Upgradability Promise"
brotony and Musician like this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (5.1.4) | UDP-203 | TiVo Bolt | Shield | PS4 Pro
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hot Fuzz and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #13046 of 13046 Old 11-20-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Yes @Sandmane , we missed it by one year (I believe the 2016s got it); now if only Samsung would have honored their yearly Evo Kit "Upgradability Promise"
And just to add to what @galonzo said @Sandmane , in a 2016 interview discussing new software features that are included in its 2016 models, Michael Zoeller, Vice President and Head of Visual Display at Samsung Electronics Europe confirmed on tizenexperts.com that those features would be making their way to older TVs as well through an OTA update...

Samsung confirms 2015 Smart TVs to get Tizen OTA update, No evolution kit update needed

...saying an “official announcement will soon be out explaining about it” however we NEVER witnessed anything like that.

Instead over time they removed functionality we once had like removing apps like Skype making the camera worthless, recently removing the EXTRA service on September 17, 2019 making that button on our remotes completely useless, and no longer having the ability to calibrate dual 2 Point White Balance Settings for SDR versus HDR just to name a few.
galonzo, brotony, RagtopFE and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Musician; 11-20-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
js9000 , js9500 , suhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page