Just set up my new JS 8500. Comments from a novice.
Just some comments on the setup, which was done by looking at the nearly useless diagram for five seconds. It took about five minutes to set up. Have not read the manual, either printed or electronic. Used the large remote from the 8550 to perform the setup.
1. At startup there's a beautiful parade of icons with music, maybe lasting five seconds. I wanted top see it again, but despite turning the set off and unplugging it, could not make the Intro restart. Anyone know how to bring it back on ?
2. There are four black screws and four silver screws, not labelled. Cannot tell which four attach the stand to the TV and which four attach the base to the vertical piece. Anyone here know ? Used the black screws to attach the stand to the TV. Silly that they are not labelled, nor can one tell from the diagram.
3. It said it could not connect to the home network, but it did connect fine.
4. It asked for my zip code, accepted it, then asked for the time zone. Duhhhhhhh. The zip code determines that.
5. Set it to search OTA/antenna, it found 108 channels, but still searched for cable channels. My 8550 didn't do this.
6. As for the panel, no defects yet, but I'm not skilled like many of you. What should be examined ?
7. As for the picture of this 8500, despite the glorious praises of the 8500 in this forum, unadjusted in Dynamic, I much prefer the 8550 picture. Colors might be more vibrant, but the picture of this 8500 looks cartoonish, over-saturated, blurry, and milky. I see where to set the picture mode, but not where to adjust color, brightness, backlighting, etc. Somewhere in this forum there must be optimal settings for the 8500. I have the Disney and Monster DVDs somewhere.
8. Samsung Blu-ray player connected to any of the HDMI ports on the One Connect fails to show connection on the screen. The DVD cannot be played. What's the secret to attaching a DVD player ? On my 8550, when the DVD player is started, the set automatically switches over to the HDMI port.
Comments are invited.
Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 05-31-2015 at 02:09 AM.