JS8500 owners thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 162Likes

post #451 of 570 Old 06-12-2015, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have the 55JS8500 and I have the Spears & Munsil calibration disc, is that enough for these newer sets or is there a better calibration disc I should be looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 570 Old 06-12-2015, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
Just some comments on the setup, which was done by looking at the nearly useless diagram for five seconds. It took about five minutes to set up. Have not read the manual, either printed or electronic. Used the large remote from the 8550 to perform the setup.

1. At startup there's a beautiful parade of icons with music, maybe lasting five seconds. I wanted top see it again, but despite turning the set off and unplugging it, could not make the Intro restart. Anyone know how to bring it back on ?

2. There are four black screws and four silver screws, not labelled. Cannot tell which four attach the stand to the TV and which four attach the base to the vertical piece. Anyone here know ? Used the black screws to attach the stand to the TV. Silly that they are not labelled, nor can one tell from the diagram.

3. It said it could not connect to the home network, but it did connect fine.

4. It asked for my zip code, accepted it, then asked for the time zone. Duhhhhhhh. The zip code determines that.

5. Set it to search OTA/antenna, it found 108 channels, but still searched for cable channels. My 8550 didn't do this.

6. As for the panel, no defects yet, but I'm not skilled like many of you. What should be examined ?

7. As for the picture of this 8500, despite the glorious praises of the 8500 in this forum, unadjusted in Dynamic, I much prefer the 8550 picture. Colors might be more vibrant, but the picture of this 8500 looks cartoonish, over-saturated, blurry, and milky. I see where to set the picture mode, but not where to adjust color, brightness, backlighting, etc. Somewhere in this forum there must be optimal settings for the 8500. I have the Disney and Monster DVDs somewhere.

8. Samsung Blu-ray player connected to any of the HDMI ports on the One Connect fails to show connection on the screen. The DVD cannot be played. What's the secret to attaching a DVD player ? On my 8550, when the DVD player is started, the set automatically switches over to the HDMI port.

Comments are invited.
Dynamic is not really designed for long term use, it's more a of "pop" setting to impress your friends and family, or buyers in a showroom.

I had the same problem you did - Dynamic looked great in one scene, but they completely milky/white/over-saturated in another. Realistically, you cannot use it to watch even a single episode of a TV show, much less an entire movie.

You should just calibrate one of the other settings, like Standard or Natural. It will have less pop but be a lot more watchable. In theory, the 8500 should be better than the old 8550, but it sounds like your 8500 set is very poorly calibrated out of box. Poorly calibrated colors can be the cause of all the issues you are having, and certainly the 8500 is capable of displaying rec709 perfectly.

Also, for you, it sounds like you wished the TV just looked good with default settings. In that case, you may want to consider a Sony, which has great pre-calibrated settings. You mentioned you didn't want a curved set, but the 930c and 940c Sony are all flat, and have much better PQ than the 8500. In your price range, the 850C will have a different set of problems, but maybe you won't mind them as much (I'm fine with my x850c, and I don't really notice the dark corners). I ended up spending a lot of time calibrating the Sony, and ended up just using cinema pro.
post #453 of 570 Old 06-12-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Ray, Samsung MUST have a problem with the 55" JS8500 series. Tried out another 55" JS8500 and the picture is only slightly better than the first JS8500, but again not nearly as good as the HU8550. The 8500 has dark greys, not blacks, the picture lacks clarity, and the colors are not as vivid. Will go through all the settings again.
These comments astound me, and I cannot imagine them to be true. I had a JU7100, and the 8500 should be only better. The JU7100 had perfectly black blacks, amazingly so. The colors are vivid, almost too vivid.

What you said before about Dynamics being milky and unwatchable is believable, but these comments about black level and color vivid-ness is completely unbelievable. On any setting, out of box, you should not be seeing these issues.

Did you screw around with the settings yourself? I'd recommend you reset the settings to default, because only by destroying the settings can you get a non-black, unclear, non-vivid 8500.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 570 Old 06-12-2015, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Ray, Samsung MUST have a problem with the 55" JS8500 series. Tried out another 55" JS8500 and the picture is only slightly better than the first JS8500, but again not nearly as good as the HU8550. The 8500 has dark greys, not blacks, the picture lacks clarity, and the colors are not as vivid. Will go through all the settings again.
I've not seen a Samsung high end panel need much Sharpness help at all. Setting it at 95 is likely to cause edge artifacts and even some stair stepping.

You may want to find a concensus eyeball settings listed here or elsewhere and replicate them as your starting point and then tweak them to your personal preference. BTW - Even Dynamic can be dialed in and tweaked for Pop that is not cartoonish and over saturated at all.

Good Luck!
Below is a Full Calibration from an owner on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65JS...ews/B00U9U9GII

Full Calibration:
PICTURE
Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 9
Contrast: 92
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 21
Color: 53
Tint: G51/R49

PICTURE SIZE
Picture Size: 16:9
Fit to screen: ON

ADVANCED SETTINGS
Dynamic Contrast: OFF
Black Tone: OFF
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: OFF
Color Space: Custom
Gamma: -2

COLOR SPACE (R, G, B)
Red: 22, 7, 0
Green 26, 43, 4
Blue: 0, 6, 33
Yellow: 44, 46, 4
Cyan: 25, 51, 56
Magenta: 21, 8, 49

WHITE BALANCE (2 point)
R-Offset: -2
G-Offset: 5
B-Offset: 0
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -7
B-Gain: 3

WHITE BALANCE (10 point) (R, G, B)
10%: 49, 41, 30
20%: 44, 34, 31
30%: 28, 30, 30
40%: 20, 23, 28
50%: 14, 12, 14
60%: 7, 11, 12
70%: 3, 8, 6
80%: 2, 7, 5
90%: 0, 0, -1
100%: 0, 0, 0

PICTURE OPTIONS
Color Tone: Movie1 (or Movie2)
Digital Clean View: On
MPEG Noise Filter: On
HDMI Black Level: Low
HDMI UHD Color: OFF
Auto Motion Plus: Clear (or your preference)
Smart LED: Standard (or High for better contrast and deep blacks)
Cinema Black: ON
filmkr27 likes this.

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's

Last edited by westa6969; 06-12-2015 at 06:55 PM.
post #455 of 570 Old 06-12-2015, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a similar question, I spent $2000+ via the Samsung site for 55JS8500 and today on google shopping i saw it listed for $1449 no tax, free shipping to NYC @ PremierTVs.com; should i cancel from Samsung as my TV is still in transit? Please suggest quickly :-/
post #456 of 570 Old 06-13-2015, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax1105 View Post
I have a similar question, I spent $2000+ via the Samsung site for 55JS8500 and today on google shopping i saw it listed for $1449 no tax, free shipping to NYC @ PremierTVs.com; should i cancel from Samsung as my TV is still in transit? Please suggest quickly :-/
It seems like a new scam site is popping every day, with the same webpage layout and everything, except the name changed.

Just check http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmin...resellers.html, if it's not on that list, you are getting scammed.
post #457 of 570 Old 06-13-2015, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
It's a scam, always buy high-ticket items from one of the reputable retailers like best buy, fry's, or costco...otherwise, you might get a samsung knock-off from china.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #458 of 570 Old 06-13-2015, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6834 Post(s)
Liked: 6830
^^^ Actually there is no such thing as a Samsung or any other major TV manufacturer Knock-Offs as of yet that I have ever seen in the flesh. People talk about them, in the end they are fabricated by the bait and switch companies out there. If you actually try to order a set they say is like this for a super low price, they switch you into the US made item for additional fees. If you do not agree to the new price normally they cancel the order. Call there bluff, tell these companies you will pay double for the knock-off, they will not ship because it does not exist.

I have seen the shows that bust people for selling fake shoes, close, and hand bags. This has not and probably due to costs will never hit the TV market. Well, lets hope it will not anyway.
post #459 of 570 Old 06-14-2015, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just bought a JS8500 and the video and audio worked for one day. Now I can only get video. I have all of my devices connected via HDMI to my Pioneer SC-85 receiver. I have one HDMI cable connected to the TV in HDMI port 1. This set up worked fine for 1 night now I can only get video with no audio when watching cable. Blu Ray audio and video are fine. I have power cycled the receiver, cable box and TV. I have also checked and switched all HDMI cables with no luck. Has anyone else had this issue?
post #460 of 570 Old 06-14-2015, 06:04 PM

I have made sure that the sound settings on the TV are set for the receiver as well.
post #461 of 570 Old 06-15-2015, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hdmi/arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandbt View Post
Just bought a JS8500 and the video and audio worked for one day. Now I can only get video. I have all of my devices connected via HDMI to my Pioneer SC-85 receiver. I have one HDMI cable connected to the TV in HDMI port 1. This set up worked fine for 1 night now I can only get video with no audio when watching cable. Blu Ray audio and video are fine. I have power cycled the receiver, cable box and TV. I have also checked and switched all HDMI cables with no luck. Has anyone else had this issue?
I haven't gotten sound to work via ARC, but haven't played around with it much to try and fix as I've had no issues simply using the digital audio. Can you simply use the ARC channel to get the sound to your receiver when using one of the TV's apps, like Netflix since the TV's source is no longer HMDI 1? I'd prefer to have everything going through the HDMI/ARC as well. Right now, the only way I get sound from the TV apps is via the digital optical and having my SC-71 on TV input.

I've also had issues when changing sources on my receiver, say from PS4 to AppleTV. The TV will say no signal even though I can hear sound. I toggle back and forth between the receiver inputs and eventually I get a picture.
post #462 of 570 Old 06-15-2015, 04:35 PM

Yes all apps work and Blu Ray works. But when I try to watch cable I get video only. If I turn off the tv the I get audio.
post #463 of 570 Old 06-16-2015, 09:00 AM

I finally have audio working for cable, but I had to use HDMI input #2 which means that unless I run optical from the TV to the receiver I won't have audio for the TV apps. Does anyone think that Samsung or Best Buy will just exchange the OCB? I feel like I have a really good panel and don't want to exchange the whole thing. I'd really like to use the ARC HDMI port on the OCB, but there seems to be a big "handshake" issue with my Pioneer receiver.
post #464 of 570 Old 06-16-2015, 11:03 AM

ARC setting on receiver

Quote:
I finally have audio working for cable, but I had to use HDMI input #2 which means that unless I run optical from the TV to the receiver I won't have audio for the TV apps. Does anyone think that Samsung or Best Buy will just exchange the OCB? I feel like I have a really good panel and don't want to exchange the whole thing. I'd really like to use the ARC HDMI port on the OCB, but there seems to be a big "handshake" issue with my Pioneer receiver.
You seem to be a fairly sophisticated user, so I assume you already did this, but in the unlikely event that you haven't, there is a setting (at least on my SC-71) to turn ARC on and off.

When mine was set to "off," the TV didn't show receiver as an option in the speaker menu - only TV speaker and digital audio. When I enable ARC on my receiver, "receiver" showed up as an option in the TV speaker menu. However, when I selected it, a message re "Connecting to AnyNet+ Device" or something similar came up and just continued blinking. It then showed that as being the connection, but no sound.
post #465 of 570 Old 06-16-2015, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the help. I tried the ARV function too. I took the tv back tonight and exchanged it for another. After talking with Samsung today they thought it could be an issue within the tv. I hooked up the replacement js8500 and everything is working as it should. Only 1 hdmi cable to the tv in hdmi 4 (arc) from the receiver and everything is working. Picture on this thing is awesome.
TheCrow1994 and ray0414 like this.
post #466 of 570 Old 06-17-2015, 10:32 AM

Source on Receiver for hearing TV Audio

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I tried the ARV function too. I took the tv back tonight and exchanged it for another. After talking with Samsung today they thought it could be an issue within the tv. I hooked up the replacement js8500 and everything is working as it should. Only 1 hdmi cable to the tv in hdmi 4 (arc) from the receiver and everything is working. Picture on this thing is awesome.
Glad it worked out. I started with a Sony 850C and went through the hassle of taking it apart and boxing it up to get the Samsung. Not sure I want to go through that whole process again. Is there any real difference between audio over digital optical and HMDI beyond the reduced clutter by having one less cable running between the TV and receiver?

Can you tell me what source you set your SC-85 to for hearing sound from material played on the TV apps (Neflix, Amazon, etc.), i.e., the receiver source for playing the audio being returned by the TV via ARC?

Thanks,

AJ
sonsolar likes this.
post #467 of 570 Old 06-17-2015, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by aejonesia View Post
Glad it worked out. I started with a Sony 850C and went through the hassle of taking it apart and boxing it up to get the Samsung. Not sure I want to go through that whole process again. Is there any real difference between audio over digital optical and HMDI beyond the reduced clutter by having one less cable running between the TV and receiver?

Can you tell me what source you set your SC-85 to for hearing sound from material played on the TV apps (Neflix, Amazon, etc.), i.e., the receiver source for playing the audio being returned by the TV via ARC?

Thanks,

AJ
I myself haven't tried ARC and don't know if my receiver has it or not. I do use the optical out on the OCB mini connected to my receiver as the netflix and Amazon apps I think only do DD 5.1 , besides that you also have DTS 2:5 out from the TV and I'm not really sure what that sounds like. I assume you have the OCB mini behind the TV? My OCB is behind my AVR so the only cable I have running to the TV is the power, internet and proprietary OCB cable from the mini.
post #468 of 570 Old 06-17-2015, 02:53 PM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromPlasma2LCD View Post
I myself haven't tried ARC and don't know if my receiver has it or not. I do use the optical out on the OCB mini connected to my receiver as the netflix and Amazon apps I think only do DD 5.1 , besides that you also have DTS 2:5 out from the TV and I'm not really sure what that sounds like. I assume you have the OCB mini behind the TV? My OCB is behind my AVR so the only cable I have running to the TV is the power, internet and proprietary OCB cable from the mini.
I have the same set up as you with just the three cables going directly into the TV plus a single HDMI going to the OCB from the receiver and a digital optical from the OCB to the receiver. I guess it will only be a real issue if and when an update comes to the TV allowing TrueHD signals (plus Netflix, Amazon, etc. start streaming with the lossless signals). I suppose it may matter for HD radio as I'm not sure if digital optical can transmit those signals.

I've had a major issue with lag when changing sources on my receiver. With the TV source set to HDMI 4, switching a source on the receiver, say from SAT/CABLE to BD, results in the TV saying something like "No Signal HDMI 4." If I toggle back and forth between the sources on the receiver, it eventually shows up on the TV.
post #469 of 570 Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

AJ
The TV automatically switches the source on the SC-85 to "TV" so that it plays the audio on anything that originates from the TV's apps or internet.
aejonesia likes this.
post #470 of 570 Old 06-17-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I have the same set up as you with just the three cables going directly into the TV plus a single HDMI going to the OCB from the receiver and a digital optical from the OCB to the receiver. I guess it will only be a real issue if and when an update comes to the TV allowing TrueHD signals (plus Netflix, Amazon, etc. start streaming with the lossless signals). I suppose it may matter for HD radio as I'm not sure if digital optical can transmit those signals.

I've had a major issue with lag when changing sources on my receiver. With the TV source set to HDMI 4, switching a source on the receiver, say from SAT/CABLE to BD, results in the TV saying something like "No Signal HDMI 4." If I toggle back and forth between the sources on the receiver, it eventually shows up on the TV.
Mine does say "no signal HDMI 4" but only for about 5 seconds. When I switch from an APP on the TV to cable (which is run through my receiver) I get audio well before I get video.
aejonesia likes this.
post #471 of 570 Old 06-17-2015, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

It takes my sources a few seconds to pop up but im sure that's just the whole handshake issue. I also hear audio before video but that's because my AVR gets the audio first while the TV and AVR are still shaking hands and getting to know one another. I chose to use optical cause it works and it's very simple then trying to figure out arc. I don't see major streaming companies stream HD audio for a long time as it takes so much more bandwidth. Not everything on Netflix is even 5.1 yet.
aejonesia likes this.
post #472 of 570 Old 06-18-2015, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hao Zhou View Post
It seems like a new scam site is popping every day, with the same webpage layout and everything, except the name changed.

Just check http://www.samsung.com/us/peaceofmin...resellers.html, if it's not on that list, you are getting scammed.
I'm not sure that is true. For example there is a store in my area that is not on that list, either internet or showroom, that has long had the best reputation for highest quality sales and service for HDTVs and other appliances for over 30 years. Tho' it is certainly the internet sales outfits one should be most careful of.
post #473 of 570 Old 06-18-2015, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Does anyone here know more about update 1218.0 like what "Improved usability of input devices" actually changed...
post #474 of 570 Old 06-18-2015, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
premierTVs, shopsmart and nice etc. run a 'bait and switch. They and several others insist on having your tel. number. Then they call and tell you the exact model you ordered is actually an 'AU' or AU/CA 'commercial model' with an inferior panel and you need to pay the regular retail price which they try to make sound like a bargain. THere is no 'commercial' model with the same Samsung model number. Their purpose is to get you on the phone to sell you the same tv at the regular price. Classic 'bait and switch.' From what Samsung tells me these 'AU' versions with different panels in the UNJS8500 series simply do not exist. I've even called their bluff and told them, "Sell it to me anyway, as long as it is a genuine Samsung with all Samsung original parts at the price we contracted for." They hang up and cancel the Paypal order. They do not have this imaginary version to sell. Never did. Does not exist. At least they don't take your money.
madmax1105 likes this.

Last edited by Dan Arnold; 06-18-2015 at 09:58 PM. Reason: typos
post #475 of 570 Old 06-29-2015, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrow1994 View Post

On a side note, does anyone know what the differences are between the JS850D vs JS8500 (both sets listed on Samsung's official site)?
From what I understand, the differences are pretty significant. The 850D is made in China and has the chinese panel and an 8-bit chip rather than the 10-bit. It does not support full 4:4:4 chroma. Some sites sell this model as the JS8500 without specifying the lower specs.
post #476 of 570 Old 06-29-2015, 11:30 PM

arrghh. Guys, should I get a JS9000 plus the sound bar for 1999 incl tax or wait for a better deal on July 4 or Black Friday?
Cant make up my mind...
post #477 of 570 Old 06-30-2015, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Anyone know the remote code for verizon fios remote and the tv, the preset one doesn't work
post #478 of 570 Old 06-30-2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbahotep View Post
arrghh. Guys, should I get a JS9000 plus the sound bar for 1999 incl tax or wait for a better deal on July 4 or Black Friday?
Cant make up my mind...
Where are you seeing the 9000 for 1999?

If you can wait until Black Friday or until the end of the year I would wait. It is bound to get lower. But if you are buying in the next few months, I don't think there will be a better deal
post #479 of 570 Old 06-30-2015, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmkr27 View Post
Where are you seeing the 9000 for 1999?

If you can wait until Black Friday or until the end of the year I would wait. It is bound to get lower. But if you are buying in the next few months, I don't think there will be a better deal
samsung.com bb b&h
post #480 of 570 Old 06-30-2015, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbahotep View Post
samsung.com bb b&h
The 9000 is 2500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement