Official Vizio 2015 "E" series owners thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 115Likes

post #541 of 1393 Old 09-13-2015, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I streamed an amazon show that's available in 1080p and 4k. I originally had watched the show in 4k on my M65 and it obviously looked good.

Now I rewatched it on my E70 in 1080p and it looks practically the same. That's with an extra 5 inches too. I sit between 9.5 and 10 feet back from the screen.

I'm extremely pleased with this set. The local dimming doesn't work as well as the M65 but the difference is by no means a deal breaker and I still have the feature turned on.

After some picture adjustments the images look absolutely fantastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1393 Old 09-13-2015, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkton View Post
So desperate to get chroma 4:4:4 on the e65 i actually called Vizio customer service to see if it was something that might ever come with a firmware update.

It was surprisingly not even a bad experience, no wait and immediate escalation to level 2 tech who promptly said no. lol.

I get [email protected] 4:4:4 and [email protected] 4:4:4 on the M70 if an exchange is an option for you. I'm typing this at [email protected] 4:2:0 and it is legible from 13' feet away but I think I prefer the 1080p setting for desktop use.
post #543 of 1393 Old 09-13-2015, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Probablye a silly question

e70 c3....how in the world do I log out of Amazon on the tv in order to log into another account? Scratching my head. Thanks ever so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 1393 Old 09-13-2015, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdjunkie View Post
I streamed an amazon show that's available in 1080p and 4k. I originally had watched the show in 4k on my M65 and it obviously looked good.

Now I rewatched it on my E70 in 1080p and it looks practically the same. That's with an extra 5 inches too. I sit between 9.5 and 10 feet back from the screen.

I'm extremely pleased with this set. The local dimming doesn't work as well as the M65 but the difference is by no means a deal breaker and I still have the feature turned on.

@lcdjunkie ... I currently have an M65-C1 that's going back to Costco this afternoon. Two reasons, one it has 4-5 dust particles or something in the panel that are easily seen from a few feet. Two, it suffers from the vertical banding when the content viewed has same color backgrounds of any color. When viewing gray fields there is a wide vertical band right in the center that has a slight yellow/green cast to it with other vertical bands on either side of it.

My thoughts are that all M65s have this vertical banding issue so I'm seriously considering getting the E65-C3. 4k is not a deal breaker for me since we view our TV from 12 feet. The extra local dimming zones I would lose may be noticeable, I'm not really sure.

I'm curious, why did you trade the M65 for the E65? After viewing the difference you seem happy with it... correct?
post #545 of 1393 Old 09-13-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 259
@carillon - Did you test still pictures of red/green/blue to see if the panel is good?
Banding in the technical sense is stair stepping of colors rather than a smooth gradient. What you are describing sounds like something else.

That said, go with a 60 or 70". The 65" are AUO(?) while the 60/70 are Sharp which seems to have fewer issues.
post #546 of 1393 Old 09-13-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carillon View Post
Quote:

@lcdjunkie ... I currently have an M65-C1 that's going back to Costco this afternoon. Two reasons, one it has 4-5 dust particles or something in the panel that are easily seen from a few feet. Two, it suffers from the vertical banding when the content viewed has same color backgrounds of any color. When viewing gray fields there is a wide vertical band right in the center that has a slight yellow/green cast to it with other vertical bands on either side of it.

My thoughts are that all M65s have this vertical banding issue so I'm seriously considering getting the E65-C3. 4k is not a deal breaker for me since we view our TV from 12 feet. The extra local dimming zones I would lose may be noticeable, I'm not really sure.

I'm curious, why did you trade the M65 for the E65? After viewing the difference you seem happy with it... correct?
I actually traded in the M65 for an E70. The M65, and its replacement, exhibited obnoxious DSE. On both the original and the replacement there were two prominent darker bars in addition to more faded bars from left to right. They also both had a yellowish blob toward the center bottom of the screen. So pretty much exactly what you saw as well.

I wasn't going to get a third because it seemed to be a panel issue and the M70 was way too expensive. So I checked the E70 and was satisfied it would be a good option.

The fact that the screen was too small and I sit too far to take advantage of the 4k sealed the deal.

The local dimming is not as good as the M65 but it's by no means sub par. Its good, just not as good as the M series. Trivial differences honestly when looking at the big picture (pun intended.)

Now I'm extremely happy with the E70 and it's 1080p content reproduction is absolutely beautiful.

Last edited by lcdjunkie; 09-13-2015 at 12:46 PM.
post #547 of 1393 Old 09-13-2015, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

@DoctorM... The panel is probably okay but it just has this characteristic which I notice every time the background is mostly a solid color etc. I have viewed color and gray fields and they all show the characteristic. I'm going to return it for an E65. Here's a picture of the vertical banding I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1442170022277.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	938826  
post #548 of 1393 Old 09-13-2015, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Just a quick update in regards to the e65-c3 after more viewing chances with it and gaming usage.

I've watched everything from mkv via usb, Netflix via smart app, bluray via ps4, and broadcast movies, shows and nfl games on it now. Very impressed especially almost through my third nfl game on it. Haven't noticed any blurring at all. My only complaint is with the networks broadcasting. Played some more dragon age inquisition and a little final fantasy x remaster on ps4 plays great without noticable input lag.

My only regret is not going for the extra 5 inches. I did however get $100 back a few weeks ago thanks to mastercard price protection which knocked it down to 899.99.

Splendid value, great job Vizio. This set is supposed to hold me over until 4k oled sets become more mainstream and affordable and it seems it will do just that very well.

Edit: my viewing distance is about 10 feet and most content viewed at 720p or greater. Hardly any SD content, but the directv genie does a great job with it.

Last edited by acphydro; 09-13-2015 at 03:33 PM.
post #549 of 1393 Old 09-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

The return at Costco was flawless. Just got the E65-C3 setup and the first thing I did was display a few color and gray fields. The result is fantastic, no vertical bands to speak of like the M65-C1 I posted above. No dust particles in the panel either!

Now all I need to do is dial in the calibration... So how about it E65-C3 owners, can you point me in the right direction? Appreciate it!
post #550 of 1393 Old 09-14-2015, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Well, week two with my E60-C3 and I feel like I've come really close to having it dialed in. A few things that I've discovered over the weeks that might help people improve their picture quality;

1) The "Black Detail" setting that I had on "low" was the cause of weird ghosting/rippling in dark scenes, especially when viewed off axis. Turning this setting to off nearly eliminates the issue for me.

2) Over-scan. I was having real issues with my cable channels. They just didn't look right to me. On a whim I tried the Picture Size and Position setting. After reducing the picture size to it's smallest (apparent), the cable picture improved substantially. Turns out there was significant over-scan that was stretching the picture. At it's smallest setting, the picture still fills the screen.

3) Sharpness. For cable and any non 1080p content, lowering the sharpness setting to nearly zero reduces the grainyness of the picture. "5" seems to be the right setting for me.

4) Cable Box output. This might not apply to everyone. I have Verizon FiOS and my cable box allows me to set the output to either "Native", which outputs the channels as they are broadcast, or a specific resolution. Setting my cable box to "1080i" (Verizon's max resolution), greatly improved the channels that don't natively broadcast at 1080. So, 720p and lower resolution broadcasts are up-scaled by the cable box to 1080i.

5) Game Low Latency produces weird gray boxes on HULUPlus. Ok, this is a strange one. I had this setting turned on for HDMI 3, which is my surround receiver that has my PS4 and XboxOne plugged into it. When watching HULU via either console, the picture would have a strange 4:3 gray overlay on 16:9 content. Turning this off remedy the issue. I then tried this setting on the built-in HULU smart app and the SAME THING HAPPENED. Turning it back off cleared the gray 4:3 box. I'd note that I don't notice any game controller latency with this option turned off. BUT, my bigger question is what else this setting might me causing issues with when turned on?

6) "Clear Action" is bogus. Maybe it's just me, but when I turn this option on I notice significant screen flicker. ...kind of like back when you'd set an old CRT monitor's refresh rate too low. Worse, it doesn't perform as advertised. Grand Theft Auto 5, a game that will show any TV's inability to show fast moving content, looks awful with this setting on. Driving is a blurry and jerky mess. Turn it off and everything returns to normal. For a 60hz native panel, it does wonderful without any added gaming features.

7) Copying Settings From Websites didn't work for me and only made the whole process more confusing and frustrating. I bought this TV heavily based on website and user reviews. While I feel like I made the right buy, I also feel like I made a mistake by simply copying settings from these websites. After the first week, I deleted the settings and started over on my own. There are just too many variables. Everyone has different ambient lighting, seating distances, seating angles, signal quality, per device signal differences and personal preferences.

8) This TV is EXCELLENT at showing signal deficiencies. The difference between say, cable TV and the gaming consoles are staggering, regardless of settings. The PS4, which passes true 1080p, couldn't look better to me. It's perfect. Streaming sits somewhere in between. That said, it's my opinion that your worst signal quality input device will ALWAYS look bad, compared to your best. So, regardless of settings, you'll always be disappointed when switching back to it from your highest quality one.

So, that's it for now. I'm 90% happy with the PQ I get. The only two things left for me to figure out are the impacts that both the "Reduce Signal Noise" and "Reduce Block Noise" has on the PQ, per input device or streaming service.
Also, I feel like my picture is to bright. Whites are blinding. When I turn down the "Backlight" then everything that isn't white seems to dark.
BUT, The lesson I'm (slowly) learning? After you get the picture you think is best, just enjoy the content, versus constantly diving for the original remote to mess with settings. ...it's just up in the air how long that will take. :-)

Last edited by eliamike; 09-14-2015 at 09:44 AM.
post #551 of 1393 Old 09-14-2015, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Great customer support

I purchased a E70-C3 from Amazon.com (Vizio supplied it) in mid June.
This weekend I noticed a bright pixel, green, the uppermost left pixel.

I called Vizio, they tout their american based support. After going through 2 options on the phone tree, a person that I could understand picked right up. They opened a case, and immediately sent me an email with further directions.

I uploaded a PDF of my invoice, and 3 pictures, then called them back.
Went through the same 2 phone tree options, and a rep picked right up again.

She put me on hold for about 90 seconds while she went through my documents, came back and set up for an in-home replacement.
The whole thing start to finish including 2 phone calls and me uploading pics, and going through the replacement details took 12 minutes tops. Pretty unheard of these days.

Hopefully the replacement (factory refurbished and w/ my currently remaining factory warranty) has s good a picture minus the bright pixel.
post #552 of 1393 Old 09-14-2015, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliamike View Post
6) "Clear Action" is bogus. Maybe it's just me, but when I turn this option on I notice significant screen flicker. ...kind of like back when you'd set an old CRT monitor's refresh rate too low.
Same for me on an E50-C1
post #553 of 1393 Old 09-14-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
@DoctorM... The panel is probably okay but it just has this characteristic which I notice every time the background is mostly a solid color etc. I have viewed color and gray fields and they all show the characteristic. I'm going to return it for an E65. Here's a picture of the vertical banding I'm talking about.
Yup, looks like a bad panel.

Did you price the 70"? Costco has a fantastic sale right now on the E70, although it is online only.
post #554 of 1393 Old 09-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Yup, looks like a bad panel.

Did you price the 70"? Costco has a fantastic sale right now on the E70, although it is online only.
Unfortunately, I'm constrained to the 65"due to the fact that my TV must fit vertically in a space I cannot change.
post #555 of 1393 Old 09-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Auto Brightness Control... I'm considering using it since the room the TV is in has a pretty wide range of brightness from day to night. So I'm asking how well this feature works. Anyone have any opinions on this? Also, where is the light sensor on the TV? Thanks
tutermoe likes this.
post #556 of 1393 Old 09-15-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Auto Brightness Control... I'm considering using it since the room the TV is in has a pretty wide range of brightness from day to night. So I'm asking how well this feature works. Anyone have any opinions on this? Also, where is the light sensor on the TV? Thanks
I know the light sensor for the M series was by the power light so it's probably in the same place for the E series.
post #557 of 1393 Old 09-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
I know the light sensor for the M series was by the power light so it's probably in the same place for the E series.
Tried it out, it works decent but that's it. Probably better to just switch setting profiles.

As a side note I purchased a cheap hisense 40h5 for the bedroom and am really impressed with it, especially with football. It obviously produces nowhere near the black levels of the Vizio I bought but for $250 it's fantastic. Wish I'd have gotten the 50incher though.

Last edited by acphydro; 09-15-2015 at 02:33 PM.
post #558 of 1393 Old 09-15-2015, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies regarding the Auto Brightness Control... I found that it did not get bright enough during the day so I'll just go with setting the backlight manually as needed.
post #559 of 1393 Old 09-15-2015, 05:39 PM

Any chance we see a firmware update to improve the behavior of the local dimming on the E series?

Last edited by lcdjunkie; 09-15-2015 at 05:41 PM.
post #560 of 1393 Old 09-15-2015, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I thought I was all set with my E65 but unfortunately the viewing angle fall off is just going to be a deal breaker. Time to regroup and look for another TV that does a better job with off-angle viewing. I have no idea what direction to go with my search. Sigh...
post #561 of 1393 Old 09-16-2015, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Well, I thought I was all set with my E65 but unfortunately the viewing angle fall off is just going to be a deal breaker. Time to regroup and look for another TV that does a better job with off-angle viewing. I have no idea what direction to go with my search. Sigh...
From what I've read LG has good off angle viewing due to the IPS panel structure.

Panasonic 55ST50
Yamaha RX-V673
Klipsch RF-52 II // RC-52 II // RS-42 II
Klipsch RW-12d
Klipsch KG 2.5
post #562 of 1393 Old 09-16-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 View Post
From what I've read LG has good off angle viewing due to the IPS panel structure.
Not all LGs use IPS panels-some use VA, you will have to check each model you are considering.
post #563 of 1393 Old 09-16-2015, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies, I would like to buy the replacement from Costco as well. Anyone familiar with their offerings... can you suggest a 65" TV that I should consider? Thanks!
post #564 of 1393 Old 09-16-2015, 02:13 PM

Someone had posted a while back in the M series thread that the M does better processing on 1080p content than the E series. That's what had initially steered me toward my purchasing the M65 as opposed to an E series.

Well that comment is complete rubbish. And even if it is true, the differences are negligible. The E70 has an amazing 1080p image. The only thing that's better on the M are the higher number of led zones.

So if anyone is on the fence between the M and the E series, 1080p content is just as good on both sets.
post #565 of 1393 Old 09-16-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Someone had posted a while back in the M series thread that the M does better processing on 1080p content than the E series. That's what had initially steered me toward my purchasing the M65 as opposed to an E series.

Well that comment is complete rubbish. And even if it is true, the differences are negligible. The E70 has an amazing 1080p image. The only thing that's better on the M are the higher number of led zones.

So if anyone is on the fence between the M and the E series, 1080p content is just as good on both sets.
That is exactly what logic would suggest. More in common with the 65" and 70" E and M series than differences. Same processor, same (actual) refresh rate-the biggest differences except 4k resolution are more dimming zones and a remote with a keyboard. The M series may do a good job scaling 1080p to 4k and that is great if you want to watch at 4 to 5 feet. At normal recommended viewing distances, they look the same to me.
post #566 of 1393 Old 09-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've had both the M65 and the E65 recently. Two things I noticed, 1080p from Comcast Xfinity X1 upscaled to 4k by the M65 looks better than the same 1080p content on the E65. In addition, the viewing angle seems less forgiving on the E65 than the M65.

I returned the M65 due to vertical banding, I'm returning the E65 due to the poor viewing angle and will now purchase a 65" TV with an IPS panel. Right now I'm trying to find the best option there.
post #567 of 1393 Old 09-16-2015, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Guys, i have been on this forum alot recently trying to find the right settings for my 48' E-series and i have found a hidden feature that GREATLY enhances your picture using the Auto Brightness Control and Clear Motion Feature. For a while i have been going off of what these sites say about turning ABC and Clear Motion feature off because it distorts the picture and so on and i believed it until today when i was fiddling with my settings and i found this trick to do that enables true 120hz viewing, couldn't believe it with my eyes and i HAD to join this forum to share this with you guys, so here is what you do:

1. Make sure your gamma is at 2.4 or 2.2 depending on what kind of room your are in.
2. Turn your backlight up all the way to 100 (Because Clear Motion dulls the picture by default)
3. Set Auto Brightness to HIGH or MEDIUM (Extremely Important)
4. Turn Clear Action ON(Notice when you turn it on now, the picture actually brightens up because you set your "Auto Brightness" feature)

So it turns out the Clear Action feature really is useful, because it uses whatever Auto Brightness setting you enabled and it monitores your room conditions to get the perfect backlight and enhances the picture without the headache of finding the right picture settings.

Just fiddling with the Clear Motion feature combined with Auto Brightness and you'll find the right combination to your liking. Enjoy!
post #568 of 1393 Old 09-17-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyG412 View Post
Guys, i have been on this forum alot recently trying to find the right settings for my 48' E-series and i have found a hidden feature that GREATLY enhances your picture using the Auto Brightness Control and Clear Motion Feature. For a while i have been going off of what these sites say about turning ABC and Clear Motion feature off because it distorts the picture and so on and i believed it until today when i was fiddling with my settings and i found this trick to do that enables true 120hz viewing, couldn't believe it with my eyes and i HAD to join this forum to share this with you guys, so here is what you do:

1. Make sure your gamma is at 2.4 or 2.2 depending on what kind of room your are in.
2. Turn your backlight up all the way to 100 (Because Clear Motion dulls the picture by default)
3. Set Auto Brightness to HIGH or MEDIUM (Extremely Important)
4. Turn Clear Action ON(Notice when you turn it on now, the picture actually brightens up because you set your "Auto Brightness" feature)

So it turns out the Clear Action feature really is useful, because it uses whatever Auto Brightness setting you enabled and it monitores your room conditions to get the perfect backlight and enhances the picture without the headache of finding the right picture settings.

Just fiddling with the Clear Motion feature combined with Auto Brightness and you'll find the right combination to your liking. Enjoy!
Interesting! Thanks for posting this. I'll have to try this tonight. Question though, do notice screen flicker with Clear Action using these settings? I know only some people are effected by it, but apparently I'm one of them.
post #569 of 1393 Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 AM

Bought a Roku 3 for this set today. I purchased it because wanted a bunch of apps that aren't available with the smart functions of my E60-C3.

I must say, I am VERY VERY impressed with the Roku 3. I knew the UI would be snappier and more robust, but what I didn't expect is the picture quality to be so good, compared to the smart tv's app counterparts.

Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime ALL look significantly better on this set when played via the Roku.
So, cleaner user interface, a gazzillion apps/channels AND significantly improved picture quality.

If anyone is struggling with streaming quality, and/or plans to cut the cord some day, this is an easily recommendable $89 buy.
mbryanr and lancers like this.
post #570 of 1393 Old 09-17-2015, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliamike View Post
Interesting! Thanks for posting this. I'll have to try this tonight. Question though, do notice screen flicker with Clear Action using these settings? I know only some people are effected by it, but apparently I'm one of them.
i haven't notice any screen flicker using these settings, perhaps maybe on another tv. Another thing you might want to do that i did is set your contrast to 100 also, this eliminates some more of the dullness that clear action brings and also balances your your whites with the gamma you chose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page