Official Vizio 2015 "E" series owners thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 115Likes

post #571 of 1393 Old 09-17-2015, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliamike View Post
Bought a Roku 3 for this set today. I purchased it because wanted a bunch of apps that aren't available with the smart functions of my E60-C3.

I must say, I am VERY VERY impressed with the Roku 3. I knew the UI would be snappier and more robust, but what I didn't expect is the picture quality to be so good, compared to the smart tv's app counterparts.

Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime ALL look significantly better on this set when played via the Roku.
So, cleaner user interface, a gazzillion apps/channels AND significantly improved picture quality.

If anyone is struggling with streaming quality, and/or plans to cut the cord some day, this is an easily recommendable $89 buy.
I didn't think the device doing the streaming mattered as long as it wasn't doing any video processing since the streaming source is the same regardless of how you access said streaming service.

Amazon and Netflix look amazing on my E70, as long as its a quality rip, of course. I don't understand how the Roku would improve on picture quality honestly, especially since these services already stream at 1080p so there's no upscaling involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1393 Old 09-18-2015, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the e70 and coming from a panny 60 in st. I think this tv looks like a huge step down in quality from my 4 year old set. Very disappointed even after running the wow disk and trying to tweak the settings to match my tastes. Am I missing something? Why did this get great reviews? Do I just have a bad set? Colors don't pop, black levels suck, screen doesn't look particularly sharp and the whites appear a bit yellow unless I put it in computer mode. Sorry for the rant but does anyone else feel a bit scammed after buying? I bought with the intent to use for two years until oled was more prevalent and in my price range but I don't think I can out up with two years of this.

*edit - my primary use is to watch sports and some movies. Movies seem to look fine, the live sports however are garbage.
post #573 of 1393 Old 09-18-2015, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdjunkie View Post
I didn't think the device doing the streaming mattered as long as it wasn't doing any video processing since the streaming source is the same regardless of how you access said streaming service.

Amazon and Netflix look amazing on my E70, as long as its a quality rip, of course. I don't understand how the Roku would improve on picture quality honestly, especially since these services already stream at 1080p so there's no upscaling involved.
I completely agree with everything you're saying here and thought the same. All I can say is that I notice a marked difference between the Roku and the TV's Smart app. Maybe it's the wifi signal/processing? I really don't know what the reason is but the results, for me at least, are huge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 1393 Old 09-18-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds5x8 View Post
I just bought the e70 and coming from a panny 60 in st. I think this tv looks like a huge step down in quality from my 4 year old set. Very disappointed even after running the wow disk and trying to tweak the settings to match my tastes. Am I missing something? Why did this get great reviews? Do I just have a bad set? Colors don't pop, black levels suck, screen doesn't look particularly sharp and the whites appear a bit yellow unless I put it in computer mode. Sorry for the rant but does anyone else feel a bit scammed after buying? I bought with the intent to use for two years until oled was more prevalent and in my price range but I don't think I can out up with two years of this.

*edit - my primary use is to watch sports and some movies. Movies seem to look fine, the live sports however are garbage.
Well, I can say that out of the box, the PQ is pretty bad. I've spent about two weeks dialing everything in and I'm now happy with the picture.
I'd also say that I've hated EVERY new TV I've ever bought, when compared to the one it replaced. I think we get used to a specific picture and our eyes pick out the differences of the new set as issues.

For me, I started with the Vivid setting and worked from there. First thing I did was lower the sharpness to nearly zero.
Just remember, the worse the signal quality, the worse the PQ. ...and these TV's are excellent at showing signal quality issues.

Good luck.
post #575 of 1393 Old 09-18-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:

Remember, when you ran WOW, that that only adjusts your TV to the DVD player and only on that input. That is why movies look good on the DVD. I had to turn the color settings down on my other inputs compared to my BD player. Was your Panasonic a plasma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliamike View Post
Well, I can say that out of the box, the PQ is pretty bad. I've spent about two weeks dialing everything in and I'm now happy with the picture.
I'd also say that I've hated EVERY new TV I've ever bought, when compared to the one it replaced. I think we get used to a specific picture and our eyes pick out the differences of the new set as issues.

For me, I started with the Vivid setting and worked from there. First thing I did was lower the sharpness to nearly zero.
Just remember, the worse the signal quality, the worse the PQ. ...and these TV's are excellent at showing signal quality issues.

Good luck.
Pretty much my experience with this TV and every other I have owned. I worked from the calibrated and calibrated dark settings with the backlight being at 90 and 50 respectively and the sharpness at 5. If you set the TV at too bright, too contrasty and too sharp, it is hard to watch. Calibration disks are a good starting point, but fine tuning over time gets it to your personal tastes.

Last edited by golfster; 09-18-2015 at 10:32 AM.
post #576 of 1393 Old 09-18-2015, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yes it was a plasma, my dilemma now is whether I should go get a smaller better tv or stick with the larger size. I've got a budget of $2k for this tv and plan to upgrade in 2-3 years anyway. Figured if the E & M are the same except for 4K which I don't need that I'll save since cash. Now I'm wondering if I should return, get a 60in Samsung 4K and be happier with smaller better picture. Can't get 70in in my budget with any other set.

Also can't seem to find any Panasonic sets any where, would love to see what those look like but apparently you can only order through their website?

I realize that wow only gets the DVD player tuned, I'm curious if anyone has messed with the additional color settings on the tv. Seems very detailed without a calibration disk and not sure I know what I'm doing with the hue/balance/saturation. Is there some sort of guide I should use?
post #577 of 1393 Old 09-18-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I know these threads generally center around discussion of the larger models, but has anyone ever heard of the E28-C1?

I can find the E28h-C1 everywhere, but sadly this the 720p model. It would appear that the pattern for the rest of the series is "h" is the 720p model, so E32-C1 is 1080p and the E32h-C1 is 720p.
There's even a E24-C1 1080p TV, but there doesn't seem to be an E28-C1.

This site claims to have reviewed one, but I can't find it anywhere else. Not even on Vizio's site.
http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...io-e28-c1.html

Anyone have any wisdom to offer?
post #578 of 1393 Old 09-18-2015, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes it was a plasma, my dilemma now is whether I should go get a smaller better tv or stick with the larger size. I've got a budget of $2k for this tv and plan to upgrade in 2-3 years anyway. Figured if the E & M are the same except for 4K which I don't need that I'll save since cash. Now I'm wondering if I should return, get a 60in Samsung 4K and be happier with smaller better picture. Can't get 70in in my budget with any other set.

Also can't seem to find any Panasonic sets any where, would love to see what those look like but apparently you can only order through their website?

I realize that wow only gets the DVD player tuned, I'm curious if anyone has messed with the additional color settings on the TV. Seems very detailed without a calibration disk and not sure I know what I'm doing with the hue/balance/saturation. Is there some sort of guide I should use?
I also have a 50" Panasonic plasma which I love and is my "control" for picture quality. The E70 is my second LCD. No matter what you do, an LCD will never look like a plasma-but you can get it close. The whites are brighter on an LCD but the black detail is not as good. The colors can be made so vibrant that they look "cartoonish"'. I have had mine for about 3 months now and have it adjusted to the point that it looks similar to my plasma. Try cutting back the color a little, the sharpness way down, go easy on the contrast, and cut the backlight down. To me, the biggest problem with LCD vs plasma is the whites. With an LCD in a dim room, the whites can be like shining a flashlight in your eyes. Once I tamed that, I love the picture. LCD does take a little getting used to coming from a plasma.
post #579 of 1393 Old 09-18-2015, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tephlon View Post
I know these threads generally center around discussion of the larger models, but has anyone ever heard of the E28-C1?

I can find the E28h-C1 everywhere, but sadly this the 720p model. It would appear that the pattern for the rest of the series is "h" is the 720p model, so E32-C1 is 1080p and the E32h-C1 is 720p.
There's even a E24-C1 1080p TV, but there doesn't seem to be an E28-C1.

This site claims to have reviewed one, but I can't find it anywhere else. Not even on Vizio's site.
http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...io-e28-c1.html

Anyone have any wisdom to offer?
According to the Vizio website, the E series 28" is 1080p and the D series is 720p
http://www.vizio.com/tvs/e28hc1.html
Oops, depends where you look. If you scroll under the TV it says 1080p and in the specs it says 720p. Go figure.

Last edited by golfster; 09-18-2015 at 09:40 PM.
post #580 of 1393 Old 09-19-2015, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello all, I'm having an audio issue with my E65-C3. When I use audio out, be it analog or optical, to run the TV audio (netflix or local networks) to my HT receiver, it always gives me about three seconds of correct audio when I power everything up, then I get nothing. After that, if I go into the menu and futz with the settings, usually turning the TV speakers on and off, I'll get the sound to route correctly and it'll be fine until I turn it off. Am I doing something wrong here?
post #581 of 1393 Old 09-19-2015, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
E55-C2 Issue

Just bought a Vizio E55-c2 like 3 weeks ago, for 2 weeks it sat in the box still unopened. This past week the TV just shut off by its self and says its not getting power. Pulled in other things into the sockets they worked fine. Is there a major bug with these TV if anyone knows.
post #582 of 1393 Old 09-19-2015, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys I bought the 32 inch E32 - C1 model a couple weeks ago. So far I like it a lot except for one minor issue. When I turn the TV on the TV doesn't respond to remote control commands for a while. Is this normal or something that can be fixed?
post #583 of 1393 Old 09-21-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
According to the Vizio website, the E series 28" is 1080p and the D series is 720p
http://www.vizio.com/tvs/e28hc1.html
Oops, depends where you look. If you scroll under the TV it says 1080p and in the specs it says 720p. Go figure.
Yeah, that got me too when I first looked at it. They basically advertise the entire E series as 1080p but all the evidence indicates the E28h-C1 is 720p, which makes sense since the rest of the series "h" models are also 720.
It's just bizarre to me that they offer a 24" in 1080 but not a 28". I assume if this is true it's a panel size/cost/availability problem, but realities aside it irks me to not have the option.

A 28" TV is the perfect size for my application and 1080p is the perfect resolution-- and the list price of the E28h-C1, were it 1080p, would be perfect at under $200.

Others sell 28" models, but I can't find any as good a deal as the vizio line. What's maybe just as frustrating is I can't find any discussion about this anywhere. None of the owners of the E28h-C1 talk about resolution in their reviews in places like amazon.

I'd love to talk to an owner to confirm that it's 720p and not just some typo that's been replicated over and over again. Doesn't seem likely, but I can hope.

EDIT: I got tricked-- it seems no one makes a 1080p 28" TV, so it seems to point more towards a panel availablity problem.

Last edited by tephlon; 09-21-2015 at 07:15 AM.
post #584 of 1393 Old 09-21-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tephlon View Post
A 28" TV is the perfect size for my application and 1080p is the perfect resolution-- and the list price of the E28h-C1, were it 1080p, would be perfect at under $200.

I'd love to talk to an owner to confirm that it's 720p and not just some typo that's been replicated over and over again. Doesn't seem likely, but I can hope.
What is your viewing distance? If you are 3 feet or so from the screen, 720p should be OK. You might look at the boxes in the store and see what resolution is printed on it. Other than that, you might have to change screen sizes if possible.
post #585 of 1393 Old 09-21-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
What is your viewing distance? If you are 3 feet or so from the screen, 720p should be OK. You might look at the boxes in the store and see what resolution is printed on it. Other than that, you might have to change screen sizes if possible.
I'm sitting pretty close. Probably at least 3 feet, but I use it as a monitor/TV.

A quick background of my scenario may be helpful--

I'm running two 28" 1920x1200 monitors on my Desk in my office, and a 26" 720 TV as a third monitor connected via HDMI. Plex Home Theater is set to the TV display and it's audio is configured to output using the TV's speakers.
So I use it like a TV, but it's driven by my PC.

I like being able to source content from my pc but easily control whether the audio comes from my 5.1 PC speakers or the TV's speakers-- that's why I prefer this be a TV and not a monitor.

I've had this setup for quite some time and really love it, but the 8 yr old 26" TV is starting to die (just randomly goes blank and sometimes comes back a few minutes later). It was also a terribly low end TV when I acquired it-- terrible viewing angles, audio is poor, color and contrast are abysmal-- and it hasn't aged well. The 720p resolution isn't bad when I'm watching TV shows, but on the occasion I use it as a monitor the resolution is pretty awful.
So I figured if I were to replace it, I might as well get a TV that more closely matches the resolution of my other displays to make multi-monitor scenarios more pleasant. TV's generally have better speakers than monitors with built-in speakers (though typically neither are great), but if I could improve my video and audio quality with the upgrade I would be pleased.

I'm not married to the 28" size, but I liked the idea of the TV closely matching my monitors in size. If a monitor existed with respectable speakers that would work for me, but most monitor soundbars attach to the PC via 3.5mm audio and I'd prefer they be detectable by my PC through HDMI (the HDMI device gets detected as a separate sound device in windows which is how I'm able to send individual program's audio to it). So I'm thinking most speakerbars wouldn't work for my application.

Anyways, this got more off-topic than I intended it to. My apologies. I guess I'll just have to consider moving up to a 32" TV or try to find a 28" monitor with acceptable speakers for my setup.

Last edited by tephlon; 09-21-2015 at 08:23 AM.
post #586 of 1393 Old 09-21-2015, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Colors don't pop, black levels suck, screen doesn't look particularly sharp and the whites appear a bit yellow unless I put it in computer mode.
I said the same thing earlier in this thread: the white balance on my E50-C1 is decidedly tan/yellow in anything but computer white balance. I didn't put it in Computer picture mode; instead I changed the white balance to Computer in Calibrated Dark (it would work in any mode, though). Along with tweaks to the backlight and contrast, and killing black detail level setting, I'm very happy with the picture now.

The Standard white balance could probably be tweaked into a true white with the calibration tools, but without a true professional calibration, I now have it very close, and I'm happy.
post #587 of 1393 Old 09-21-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THuggins View Post
I said the same thing earlier in this thread: the white balance on my E50-C1 is decidedly tan/yellow in anything but computer white balance. I didn't put it in Computer picture mode; instead I changed the white balance to Computer in Calibrated Dark (it would work in any mode, though). Along with tweaks to the backlight and contrast, and killing black detail level setting, I'm very happy with the picture now.

The Standard white balance could probably be tweaked into a true white with the calibration tools, but without a true professional calibration, I now have it very close, and I'm happy.

I'll second that. Killing the Black Detail Level option to off drastically improved my picture. ESPECIALLY when viewing off axis.
post #588 of 1393 Old 09-23-2015, 08:19 AM

Quick question -- Is the E55-C1 HDMI 2.0a, 2.0,1.4, etc.? I've searched the web, Vizio's page, but haven't found it. They'll tell me the number of ports, but not the type.
We recently were hit by lightning which took out our TV, receiver and Tivo, so I'm in the process of replacing everything. I don't need anything fancy in this room, so we went with this Vizio.
Thanks!
post #589 of 1393 Old 09-25-2015, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
E70 @ Costco $1089 vs M65 @ $1500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Anyone looking to get an E70 should wait until Sept. 3 and go to Costco.
The manufacturer's $91 discount will have expired the day before on the 2nd, but Costco is showing a $280 instant savings starting on the 3rd.

That's 70" for $1089.99.
Is this the best value in 1080p 70" sets, it sure appears to be? Reading this thread and having E vs M comparisons, it seems the tried and proven 1080p sets are more reliable and trouble free, and 4K programming for what we watch ( Network shows and sports ), appears to be a long way off. I think I'll be getting a 70" E Visio from Costco before Sunday. I've been flipping between the M 65 @ $1500 vs the E 70 @ $1089, I think the E70 is going to get my vote. Thanks for any feedback to confirm the E decision.

Kemper Holt
post #590 of 1393 Old 09-25-2015, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Hello all new member here and will be taking the plunge on a new tv in the next couple months and have been looking at the E-65 vizio. I have owned a vizio and am coming from an LG edge lit 55" set that is 5 years old. My main uses for tv are for console video games and alot of japanese anime on blu ray. I thought about the m series at first but i dont see anything i watch or play going 4k for quite some time so not to worried about it. Are most people in this thread that have an e series tv happy with it? Also i have read the reviews about the conflicts with the 65 inch size in regards to input lag and such. Im looking at the e65x-c2 that walmart carries that is a 60hz panel like the 60" version. Anyways just wanted to introduce myself and get some opinions as ive got a couple months still to fully decide what i want.
post #591 of 1393 Old 09-25-2015, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
correction to my last post i have not owned a vizio tv up to this poing
post #592 of 1393 Old 09-25-2015, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
anyone with the 40" model of this tv the e40-c2 tested input lag?

looking for a cheaper basement gaming tv.
post #593 of 1393 Old 09-25-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh007 View Post
Is this the best value in 1080p 70" sets, it sure appears to be? Reading this thread and having E vs M comparisons, it seems the tried and proven 1080p sets are more reliable and trouble free, and 4K programming for what we watch ( Network shows and sports ), appears to be a long way off. I think I'll be getting a 70" E Visio from Costco before Sunday. I've been flipping between the M 65 @ $1500 vs the E 70 @ $1089, I think the E70 is going to get my vote. Thanks for any feedback to confirm the E decision.
I bought mine 3 months ago when it was $1300 and to me it was a great value. I am totally satisfied with this TV and would highly recommend it-especially at the current price. I stuck with the 1080p just because 4k has not yet matured and the price will drop in the future. Right now there was just not the content for me to justify 4k and at my 12' viewing distance, they look the same.
post #594 of 1393 Old 09-25-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I bought mine 3 months ago when it was $1300 and to me it was a great value. I am totally satisfied with this TV and would highly recommend it-especially at the current price. I stuck with the 1080p just because 4k has not yet matured and the price will drop in the future. Right now there was just not the content for me to justify 4k and at my 12' viewing distance, they look the same.
Thanks Golfster for the feedback. Nice avatar by the way!

Kemper Holt
post #595 of 1393 Old 09-25-2015, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Just picked up a E50-C1 and all is looking good and hoping to rectify this audio issue. ATM, just have the cable from the wall connected, so nothing is going to any other port. Optical audio out is going into a Denon receiver that I have had for quite some time with known good optical in ports (and yes, I have it in the 'optical in' not 'optical out'). In the audio section of the TV menu, I have turned everything off and changed Digital Audio Out to Bitstream (PCM just puts out Stereo). This works fine on non-HD channels that just put out stereo, but as soon as I opt for the HD version of any channel, the receiver will switch to DD and slowly the audio, especially the center channel, will slowly just fade to the point of literally going away.

I have not connected the TV to the Internet so I am not sure if there is a new firmware - could somebody check to see what firmware they are on? Also, did I miss something in the setup? IMHO the setup seemed extremely straightforward but now this audio issue is coming up.

Thanks in advance,
Bob
post #596 of 1393 Old 09-25-2015, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob332 View Post
Just picked up a E50-C1 and all is looking good and hoping to rectify this audio issue. ATM, just have the cable from the wall connected, so nothing is going to any other port. Optical audio out is going into a Denon receiver that I have had for quite some time with known good optical in ports (and yes, I have it in the 'optical in' not 'optical out'). In the audio section of the TV menu, I have turned everything off and changed Digital Audio Out to Bitstream (PCM just puts out Stereo). This works fine on non-HD channels that just put out stereo, but as soon as I opt for the HD version of any channel, the receiver will switch to DD and slowly the audio, especially the center channel, will slowly just fade to the point of literally going away.

I have not connected the TV to the Internet so I am not sure if there is a new firmware - could somebody check to see what firmware they are on? Also, did I miss something in the setup? IMHO the setup seemed extremely straightforward but now this audio issue is coming up.

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Did you try a different or shorter optical cable?
post #597 of 1393 Old 09-25-2015, 08:43 PM

Yes I did and thanks for the suggestion. I went through the setup of the receiver and turned everything off except stuff I am currently using which is the optical from the TV and a coaxial audio from a HTPC and it is currently working. What is weird is that it did this earlier today was working and then started audio fading. As of this exact moment, it is working as expected, so I guess I will see how long this lasts.

FWIW, I looked up the firmware on my tv and it looks like v1.60.032. Will check the Vizio site and see what they say is the most up-to-date version.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Quote:
Did you try a different or shorter optical cable?
post #598 of 1393 Old 09-26-2015, 11:58 AM

E43 VA vs IPS Panel

Hey guys,

The E43 I bought from Dell finally arrived, but based on the Serial# (fourth character is a 'j') it's an IPS panel. Ideally I would want the VA panel because viewing angles are not a concern- I'm going to be watching in front of the tv at a distance of 10ft, so I'd prefer better picture quality. My question is if the difference between quality is large enough for me to notice or even care (I also don't have any reference to compare to). I got a good deal from Dell (150$GC plus and additional 5% back) and if I return it and try and buy a VA panel from elsewhere I'd loose the promotion. However, if the difference between panels is significant enough, I'd rather sacrifice those promotions for quality. I'd be using the TV to watch movies, sports and play video games.

Any advice on whether to keep the tv or return it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
post #599 of 1393 Old 09-26-2015, 04:26 PM

Just brought home the E 70 Visio set from Costco, replacing a Toshiba HM65-167 DLP RPTV, so much better. Now I have to search this thread for potential settings for the 70" model, or if you have some thread numbers handy, please post them here, or I'll use the search function.

Kemper Holt
post #600 of 1393 Old 09-26-2015, 10:06 PM

Anybody know what the most up-to-date firmware is for the e50-c1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page