Official Vizio 2015 "E" series owners thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 115Likes

post #601 of 1393 Old 09-27-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tephlon View Post
Yeah, that got me too when I first looked at it. They basically advertise the entire E series as 1080p but all the evidence indicates the E28h-C1 is 720p, which makes sense since the rest of the series "h" models are also 720.
It's just bizarre to me that they offer a 24" in 1080 but not a 28". I assume if this is true it's a panel size/cost/availability problem, but realities aside it irks me to not have the option.

A 28" TV is the perfect size for my application and 1080p is the perfect resolution-- and the list price of the E28h-C1, were it 1080p, would be perfect at under $200.

Others sell 28" models, but I can't find any as good a deal as the vizio line. What's maybe just as frustrating is I can't find any discussion about this anywhere. None of the owners of the E28h-C1 talk about resolution in their reviews in places like amazon.

I'd love to talk to an owner to confirm that it's 720p and not just some typo that's been replicated over and over again. Doesn't seem likely, but I can hope.

EDIT: I got tricked-- it seems no one makes a 1080p 28" TV, so it seems to point more towards a panel availablity problem.
It looks like the e28-c1 is 1080p (e28h-c1 isn't). They sell it at Walmart for somewhere around $230 (believe this tv is a WalMart exclusive from what I can tell). I would be worried about if it had 4:4:4 support or not for reading text (maybe someone with that exact model can chime in for you). I'm trying to find out the same info for the e70-c3; the e60-c3 does while the e65-c3 doesn't (that's the one I was interested in -go figure).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1393 Old 09-27-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post
It looks like the e28-c1 is 1080p (e28h-c1 isn't). They sell it at Walmart for somewhere around $230 (believe this tv is a WalMart exclusive from what I can tell). I would be worried about if it had 4:4:4 support or not for reading text (maybe someone with that exact model can chime in for you). I'm trying to find out the same info for the e70-c3; the e60-c3 does while the e65-c3 doesn't (that's the one I was interested in -go figure).
This was on the Rtings review Q&As and would pertain to the E65 and E70 as they are the 120Hz panels

I wanted to use this tv for the 4:4:4 color. But so far I am unable to get this working on my AMD card. Is there a particular HDMI port you used to get the 4:4:4 working? Any advice on how to work this with an AMD card? (I tried a 7950 via HDMI and DisplayPort using active adapter) Thanks : )

No, there was no particular port that we needed to make 4:4:4 work. The 1080p @ 120 hz option necessary for Chroma 4:4:4 was not initially available to us. We went to our graphics card's control panel, created a custom setting for 1080p @ 120 hz, and then applied that, which got us Chroma 4:4:4. If you're not able to create a custom resolution and frame rate setting, or the TV does not accept it, then you're not going to be able to get Chroma 4:4:4.
Apr 27, 2015
post #603 of 1393 Old 09-27-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
This was on the Rtings review Q&As and would pertain to the E65 and E70 as they are the 120Hz panels

I wanted to use this tv for the 4:4:4 color. But so far I am unable to get this working on my AMD card. Is there a particular HDMI port you used to get the 4:4:4 working? Any advice on how to work this with an AMD card? (I tried a 7950 via HDMI and DisplayPort using active adapter) Thanks : )

No, there was no particular port that we needed to make 4:4:4 work. The 1080p @ 120 hz option necessary for Chroma 4:4:4 was not initially available to us. We went to our graphics card's control panel, created a custom setting for 1080p @ 120 hz, and then applied that, which got us Chroma 4:4:4. If you're not able to create a custom resolution and frame rate setting, or the TV does not accept it, then you're not going to be able to get Chroma 4:4:4.
Apr 27, 2015
That info apparently only pertains to the 60" model (the guy asking about the e65-c3 in this thread a couple of pages back got ahold of them and found out). I'm kind of thinking that the particular panel used in the e65 just doesn't support it while the sharp panel in the e70 just might (I'm betting that most of these TVs in this line probably have the exact same internals to keep production costs down). The same guy started his own thread named something like chroma support for e65-c3 if you want to check out his struggle. He ended up getting another tv because of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 1393 Old 09-27-2015, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
That info apparently only pertains to the 60" model (the guy asking about the e65-c3 in this thread a couple of pages back got ahold of them and found out). I'm kind of thinking that the particular panel used in the e65 just doesn't support it while the sharp panel in the e70 just might (I'm betting that most of these TVs in this line probably have the exact same internals to keep production costs down). The same guy started his own thread named something like chroma support for e65-c3 if you want to check out his struggle. He ended up getting another tv because of it.
I have the M70 with Sharp panel and have to create custom resolution for 1080p at 120hz. Used a GTX 960 and tried two 18gps cables to see if NVCP could see it natively. This was done with the last 3 drivers.
post #605 of 1393 Old 09-27-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dude View Post
I have the M70 with Sharp panel and have to create custom resolution for 1080p at 120hz. Used a GTX 960 and tried two 18gps cables to see if NVCP could see it natively. This was done with the last 3 drivers.
Well, the million dollar question is did it work?

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't notice that you have the m70; the one I'm inquiring about is the e70. Wouldn't matter anyway.

Last edited by Ryan L; 09-27-2015 at 02:13 PM.
post #606 of 1393 Old 09-28-2015, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
It looks like the e28-c1 is 1080p (e28h-c1 isn't). They sell it at Walmart for somewhere around $230 (believe this tv is a WalMart exclusive from what I can tell).
Have you seen this TV in person? I'm still dubious that it exists. I can find no real evidence of it on the internet. Even vizios own site only lists the "h" variant.

Walmart also only appears to carry the "h" variant as well. The only TV they show to have under 30" that is 1080p is the 24" version.
http://www.walmart.com/tp/flat-scree...A21%22+-+29%22

I would love to source an e28-c1 but it just doesn't seem possible.
I also think it's safe to say that there is an availability problem for 28" panels @ 1080p. NO ONE seems to make them. Every manufacturer's 28" TV is still 720p. I think that's the most telling observation. If 28" 1080p panels were produced (or available) vizio wouldn't be the only one using them.

I think the few places that referenced an e28-c1 did so erroneously-- expecting the non "h" version to exist because it fits the pattern with the other e-series TVs.
I found one site who claimed to have reviewed an e28-c1 but I believe they must have had the 720p 'h' version instead.
post #607 of 1393 Old 09-29-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tephlon View Post
Have you seen this TV in person? I'm still dubious that it exists. I can find no real evidence of it on the internet. Even vizios own site only lists the "h" variant.

Walmart also only appears to carry the "h" variant as well. The only TV they show to have under 30" that is 1080p is the 24" version.
http://www.walmart.com/tp/flat-scree...A21%22+-+29%22

I would love to source an e28-c1 but it just doesn't seem possible.
I also think it's safe to say that there is an availability problem for 28" panels @ 1080p. NO ONE seems to make them. Every manufacturer's 28" TV is still 720p. I think that's the most telling observation. If 28" 1080p panels were produced (or available) vizio wouldn't be the only one using them.

I think the few places that referenced an e28-c1 did so erroneously-- expecting the non "h" version to exist because it fits the pattern with the other e-series TVs.
I found one site who claimed to have reviewed an e28-c1 but I believe they must have had the 720p 'h' version instead.
Now I could be wrong about the model #, but I'm pretty sure they had a 1080p model that also had smart features. One possibility is that it may be a model exclusive to Sams Club/Walmart (I've seen this before where the model doesn't even come up on the manufacturer's website), but it's also quite possible that what I was looking at was a model 2 or 3 years old (walmarts in my area notoriously carry really old stock). I'll have to check for you next time I'm in there.
post #608 of 1393 Old 09-29-2015, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort22 View Post
anyone with the 40" model of this tv the e40-c2 tested input lag?

looking for a cheaper basement gaming tv.
I know it's not the e40, but I just bought the e43 yesterday and found this review saying the input lag is right around 40ms.

reviews.lc dtvbuyingguide.com/vizio-lcd-tv/vizio-e43-c2.html

I will be using it for gaming. Competitive Destiny pvp, so 40ms isn't the best, but it's not the worst and I hope it will be fine for serving dually as my gaming TV and my second living room viewing TV.
post #609 of 1393 Old 10-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys, I want to share the results of the Calibration on my Visio E65x-C2. This Calibration was done using Spectracal's Calman V.4 and the AVS 709 calibration disc. My meter is a eye-one pro spectroradiometer.
I created a custom Picture mode for this calibration that was derived from the Dark Calibration picture mode. This custom Picture mode was created to be a lights out, critical Viewing picture mode and therefore I targeted a 2.4 gamma and a light output of 40FL. one thing worth noting about this display's gamma is that they are off there target by default. the 2.2 setting is close to 2.4 with the high end closer to 2.5. all gamma settings are biased By the same Amount. this calibration corrects that error.

in my experience this sets Active LED Zones should be turned off. This setting works like a iris in that it improves the black level by dimming the backlight primarily across the entire screen, not just the dark areas of the screen. The Less bright the on screen content is overall, the more this TV dims the backlight. Unfortunately this dimming is quite aggressive and you may have instances where brighter areas in an otherwise dark scene are dimmed far to much. Not only that but the local array dimming can cause lighter details to be crushed in certain cases. Most notably in lighter facial details.

the sharpness setting should be set to 0 as it doesn't blur picture details but having it set higher than 0 does add artifacts to the picture that are not part of the original source material.

For those who set contrast with a test pattern you will want to also use a pattern to check the primary colors for crush. This set crushes red and blue before it crushes gray so you will want to check that against your contrast adjustment.

this model is of the 60hz variety not 120hz like the E65-c3 model. As a result it seems that it has less Lag and thus Makes for a Excellent gaming display.

Anyway, here are my settings. Keep in mind that all displays are unique individuals so to speak, Even from within the same model line. As a result, your mileage can vary if you using these setting on your set. It could improve your picture but it could also make it worse. I am providing it for comparison and also as a example of what this display can achieve.

Settings
Auto brightness= Off
Backlight= 26
Brightness= 50
Contrast= 79
Color= 50
Tint= 0
Sharpness= 0
Color temp= Normal
Black detail= Off
Active LED zones= Off
Clear Action= Off
Reduce noise= Off
Game Low Latency= Off
Film. Mode= Auto
Gamma= 2.4

Grayscale
5%= 1 0 -13
10%= 12 11 -2
20%= 8 11 -3
30%= 11 13 9
40%= 16 11 9
50%= 20 16 13
60%= 17 18 17
70%= 9 18 12
80%= 7 19 9
90%= -6 10 -6
100%= -24 26 -15

Color
Hue Saturation Brightness
Red= 0 -12 14
Green= 50 45 -19
Blue= -50 -43 50
Cyan= 20 50 -2
Magen= 6 -37 50
Yellow= -31 -48 8

Offset= 0
Gain= 0

As some of you may be aware, the Eye-one Pro has a hard time with readings below about 20%. To compensate for that I boosted the backlight to 100 in order to get a accurate reading for 10%.
For 5% I transposed the settings from the 10% reading but lowered it so that green was 0 so as not to excessively raise the black level's light output. BTW, I got a final reading of 0.0116FL with the local dimming off for black level 0%IRE. If I did my math correctly that also makes the displays real world contrast ratio 3462 to1 in this mode.

If you want a good setting for night viewing with perhaps a reading lamp on adjust the calibrated dark picture mode settings to 34 for the backlight and 2.2 for the gamma. All other settings should be as listed above. This put the light output on my Set to 50FL. The gamma 2.2 should be a accurate setting now and will brighten up the picture enough to compensate for a little bit of dim light in the environment.

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grayscale.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	975449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Color.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	975457  
lancers likes this.

Last edited by cid67; 10-04-2015 at 08:56 PM.
post #610 of 1393 Old 10-04-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since it is properly calibrated, what are your overall viewing impressions of that TV?
post #611 of 1393 Old 10-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

I'm very impressed with this set. my thoughts are that I have no right to get this kind of picture out of a 900 dollar display. It certainly doesn't feel like a LCD based display at all except for its viewing angle. From straight on I would liken it more to a plasma than a LCD. Colors are very pleasing to the eye and never look unnatural. Contrast is excellent and very punchy. There's no blur at all and it makes a excellent gaming display as there's no perceived lag on any picture modes. The only negatives I can sight are some very slight vertical banding but its not perceptible during real world viewing and is even hard to see in most patterns. There is some very subtle hot spotting in black but after calibration its much diminished and now its only very slightly detectable on a full black field pattern in a very dark room.

Honestly, when I bought this display I figured it would be a stop gap set to hold me over until I could step up to a better display but after calibration I love this display and think it could easily outperform many sets costing thousands more.

I was concerned when I bought this display because specs state that it was only capable of 16.7 million colors that there would be some color banding issues but I'm happy to say there's none what so ever. I wonder if that 16.7 color spec is a error.
I really think this is the better display when comparing it to the E65-c3, ironically do to it being 60hz vs 120hz. The only thing you miss out on not having 120hz is the soap opera effect that the motion smoothing provides but that's really not the way film was intended to look anyway so I'm ok with that. You do however seem to get less display lag as a result of the 60hz screen.

All things considered, I would rate this display a 9 out of 10. I would have given it a 9.5 if not for the screen uniformity issues I mentioned above. for what its worth, I hope that helps.
post #612 of 1393 Old 10-04-2015, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Anybody know what the largest size usb flash drive the e50-c1 an read? I know it is limited to FAT32 which has a max partition size of 32GB, but can the TV read the full 32GB?
post #613 of 1393 Old 10-04-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cid67 View Post
I'm very impressed with this set. my thoughts are that I have no right to get this kind of picture out of a 900 dollar display. It certainly doesn't feel like a LCD based display at all except for its viewing angle. From straight on I would liken it more to a plasma than a LCD. Colors are very pleasing to the eye and never look unnatural. Contrast is excellent and very punchy..
When I decided to replace my smaller LCD with a larger set, I delt much as you did. The set in my TV room is a Panasonic plasma and my older LCD could not compare-especially in black levels. OLED was out of reason, so I bought the E70-C3. Out of the box, it looked good, but still did not look as good as my plasma. I calibrated with my Avia DVD and later bough a Disney WOW BD disk and recalibrated. After getting the colord right and the sharpness, contrast and back light tamed, it competes quite well with my plasma. The black levels. while very dark. still do not have quite the black detail of plasma but overall it is a pleasure to watch. As you did, I bought it for value until other technology came to age and prices dropped, but it looks like this could be a keeper for quite a while.
klh007 and cid67 like this.
post #614 of 1393 Old 10-05-2015, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 2
thats good to know cid67 as im looking to buy a new tv by christmas and ive been debating hard on that model or the m55 4k vizio. Have been racking my brain whether i wanted the bigger screen size or 4k and im thinking i would rather have the bigger screen real estate and wait to see how 4k pans out in the future
post #615 of 1393 Old 10-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

I Think that would be smart. 4k is mostly marketing gimmick and a nice spec on paper until you get into a screen size large enough for the extra detail to be appreciated from a typical viewing distance.

I sit 10 feet from my set and a person with 20/20 vision would still be hard pressed to make out all the detail in a 1080p image from that distance. I personally wouldn't buy a 4k set under 120 inches. the real point of 4k is not to make a picture look sharper but to allow you to have a bigger display without loosing the perceived sharpness that we have in 1080p from a set of about 65 70inches today.

When I can buy a 120 inch 4k OLED display that supports high dynamic range, an expanded color gamut and can track a bt.1886 gamma with physical media in abundance that supports it than ill jump. Until then I'm just going to stay put.
post #616 of 1393 Old 10-05-2015, 12:28 PM

My seating distance is about 11 feet right now and currently have a 55 inch lg edge lit set that is about 5 years old and have been looking for a bigger size. The tv will be used for mostly gaming with some blu ray. We dont have any tv service as we stream everything so im glad that you said input lag was low on the set. Also was really curious about the e65x-c2 as thats all i can buy locally as all i have withing 2 hours of me are walmart stores lol
post #617 of 1393 Old 10-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

This may help you make your decision.

http://referencehometheater.com/2013...4k-calculator/
post #618 of 1393 Old 10-05-2015, 01:06 PM

i wasnt really looking much at the 4k aspect of it as nothing i watch or play is in 4k and probably wont be for a very long time i was just wondering as far as build quality and uniformity and all that stuff if the m series was just better built than the e series but from your review it sounds like a great choice for me as that was one i was really looking at cause i want a 65" screen.
post #619 of 1393 Old 10-05-2015, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Well, the m series may be a superior product. I can't say from personal experience and make no mistake there are some small uniformity issues on the e series. It all boils down to your personal tolerances for that kind of thing. I would suggest taking a look at the store model. The m series will likely have a superior local dimming implementation as it has more zones. I personally find the blacks on my set to be pretty good even with it off but its still a bit disappointing that it doesn't work as well as we would like. This is one area where you kind of get what you pay for and may get better black level with the m provided it works as well as its spec suggests. Is it worth the extra money? Well you already know why my opinion is.

Last edited by cid67; 10-05-2015 at 01:33 PM.
post #620 of 1393 Old 10-05-2015, 01:40 PM

Well the set we have now being edge lit has bad clouding and black levels are pretty bad but after 5 years ive kinda grown used to it lol. When looking at a dark screen it looks more like a grayish color but is fine when color is on screen. Also the motion blur is kinda bad. All i really want is a nice picture with less blur and low input lag as i am playing xbox one or ps4 pretty much everyday. Your review has really swayed me towards the e65x-c2 as my first choice for sure
post #621 of 1393 Old 10-05-2015, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

You will defiantly get dark blacks and no motion blur with the e65x2 if you do decide to get the m series, my only suggestion is get the biggest set you can afford. Not just because of the 4k but because displays have a nasty tendency of shrinking once you have had it in your house a little while.
post #622 of 1393 Old 10-05-2015, 01:49 PM

oh i know believe me. When i got the 55 inch 5 years ago it was huge to me but now im in a bigger place and it just isnt as big as i want. I have a hard time reading small text on screen so i started looking bigger. My wife agreed to the 65" size so i think thats what im gonna go with. It will be in november or december before i buy but maybe i can get it on sale by then to.
post #623 of 1393 Old 10-05-2015, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsapp2383 View Post
oh i know believe me. When i got the 55 inch 5 years ago it was huge to me but now im in a bigger place and it just isnt as big as i want. I have a hard time reading small text on screen so i started looking bigger. My wife agreed to the 65" size so i think thats what im gonna go with. It will be in november or december before i buy but maybe i can get it on sale by then to.
I bought the e65-c3 a few months back and wish I'd have gotten the 70. Very satisfied with the 65, watch a lot of sports and play wiiu and ps4 on it without issues. No issues with lag at least for what I play on a TV. Mostly rpgs and single player stuff.
post #624 of 1393 Old 10-06-2015, 07:07 AM

sounds great acphydro thats what i play mostly to. Im not a twitch gamer at all and dont play those kinds of games i to mostly play rpgs and single player games on ps4 and xbox one so thats good to hear. You guys have really helped me with my decision. Now to just wait till early december to make my purchase.
post #625 of 1393 Old 10-06-2015, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

So I don't know if this only applies to this TV series or if its something wrong on sony's end but if you guys game on the PS4 your going to want to set the PS4's RGB Range setting to Limited as the automatic setting is causing banding in games. What I think is going on is the automatic setting doesn't change the rgb range to limited and keeps it in full mode, the full mode is being compressed to the TV's limited range somewhere in the chain and is causing the banding. Its really noticeable underwater while playing the witcher 3 as a example. Just a heads up.
post #626 of 1393 Old 10-06-2015, 05:17 PM

Thats good to know cid as i game on ps4 and xbox one both.
post #627 of 1393 Old 10-06-2015, 05:19 PM

Just finished the witcher 3. Awesome game
post #628 of 1393 Old 10-07-2015, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If posted here before about my crummy picture and now it is showing up on my roku1? Should I call vizio and see what the deal is. I am bothered to see this bleeding.
post #629 of 1393 Old 10-08-2015, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 335
What are we suppose to be looking for?
All I see are reflections of the room and the flash you used.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #630 of 1393 Old 10-08-2015, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 335
What are we suppose to be looking for?
All I see are reflections of the room and the flash you used.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page