Official Vizio 2015 "E" series owners thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 115Likes

post #631 of 1393 Old 10-08-2015, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Yeah. That's concerning. What are supposed to be seeing here? Are those rainbow streaks your issue or just the camera flash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1393 Old 10-09-2015, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you look at the lower center of the screen you will see a blacker square and to the left of that you will see a blacker rectangle. Shouldn't my whole screen be black not those distortions?
post #633 of 1393 Old 10-10-2015, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would be wary of purchasing an M65. They have quality control issues. Ugly uniformity issues and discoloration as well. I know, I went through two of them before I gave up and purchased an E70 instead.

At 10 feet I couldn't take advantage of the 4k anyway. 1080p though looks just as good on this set as it does on the M series. The only thing the M series does a bit better is local dimming since it has more zones.

If you're looking for quality 1080p viewing, the E series will satisfy you.

Someone had posted in the M thread that the M does 1080p better than the E. That comment was the initial reason why I went for the M. Now that I've seen both I know that poster was wrong. I'm very happy with the E70.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 1393 Old 10-11-2015, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Local dimming is severely tested in watching a show like Charlie Rose.
The background is jet black, with one (or 2) talking heads (usually white) bobbing around.

It appears as if someone is flashing a spotlight on the speaker's faces... Even on E65-C3, with it's 16 zones.
post #635 of 1393 Old 10-11-2015, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Do these TV's (especially the 65" one) have any QAM tuners built into them?
post #636 of 1393 Old 10-12-2015, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I've got a Vizio E60-C3, and I've got a couple calibration questions for you all:

First, is "normal" considered the most accurate color temperature? I've ready many places that the warmest setting is typically closest to the D6500 standard. It's actually not even clear to me what is the warmest setting on the Vizio. At first I thought it was the "computer" setting, but some sites I've looked at made it sound like the "normal" setting is actually the warmest. Most websites I've looked at do recommend this setting, and it does look best to me. However, I've also read many that the warmest setting oftentimes doesn't look best even if it is most accurate, so I wonder if it would be worth it to see if the "computer" setting could be an acquired taste (if that is indeed the warmest setting).

Also, I'm wondering about the "Active LED zones" setting. It seems to me that most sources say to turn it off. However, I've noticed that during all black scenes in a movie (like the blackness between scenes) there are lighter splotches on the screen. For some reason this bothers me. When I turn on the "active LED zones" setting, this largely takes care or it. From what I can tell the "active LED zones" doesn't negatively affect the picture in other ways, but I haven't gone over it too carefully. Is the "active LED zones" setting really that bad? Do others turn it on?

I apologize if these questions have already been covered. I don't really have time to go over such a long thread. Thank you!

Last edited by Greenwood Ave; 10-12-2015 at 07:13 PM.
post #637 of 1393 Old 10-12-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood Ave View Post
I've got a Vizio E65-C3, and I've got a couple calibration questions for you all:

First, is "normal" considered the most accurate color temperature? I've ready many places that the warmest setting is typically closest to the D6500 standard. It's actually not even clear to me what is the warmest setting on the Vizio. At first I thought it was the "computer" setting, but some sites I've looked at made it sound like the "normal" setting is actually the warmest. Most websites I've looked at do recommend this setting, and it does look best to me. However, I've also read many that the warmest setting oftentimes doesn't look best even if it is most accurate, so I wonder if it would be worth it to see if the "computer" setting could be an acquired taste (if that is indeed the warmest setting).

Also, I'm wondering about the "Active LED zones" setting. It seems to me that most sources say to turn it off. However, I've noticed that during all black scenes in a movie (like the blackness between scenes) there are lighter splotches on the screen. For some reason this bothers me. When I turn on the "active LED zones" setting, this largely takes care or it. From what I can tell the "active LED zones" doesn't negatively affect the picture in other ways, but I haven't gone over it too carefully. Is the "active LED zones" setting really that bad? Do others turn it on?
!
I have the very similar E70-C3. Out of the box, I found the "Calibrated" and "Calibrated Dark" to be the most pleasing settings for normal viewing. If you turn any set to the vivid settings, they pop at you but you will very quickly find them to be unwatchable. Those settings are usually used in store displays to attract you. I initially calibrated mine with the Sound and Vision DVD version of AVIA and later used the BD version of Disney WOW. It it worth the less than $20 that one of those disks will cost you. It is not a professional calibration but it will get your TV looking very good. Do not use someone elses settings as all TVs vary a bit. After you calibrate to your disk player, transfer the settings to your other inputs and fine tune them to that source. I used the calibrated and calibrated dark options with more backlight for daytime on "Calibrated" and less for night viewing in the "calibrated dark" setting. At the price of these TVs. I can not justify the hundreds of dollars for a professional calibration, but also can not rationalize not spending $20 for a disk.

I leave the Active zones on all the time and have had no problems. The only thing I have seen is with credits at the end of a movie. With a white title in the middle of a black screen, I see some clouding around the edges. It is not bad, but it is there. Not a problem unless you are really into watching credits. That is really the only shortcoming I have seen with this set.
post #638 of 1393 Old 10-12-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
I have the very similar E70-C3. Out of the box, I found the "Calibrated" and "Calibrated Dark" to be the most pleasing settings for normal viewing. If you turn any set to the vivid settings, they pop at you but you will very quickly find them to be unwatchable. Those settings are usually used in store displays to attract you. I initially calibrated mine with the Sound and Vision DVD version of AVIA and later used the BD version of Disney WOW. It it worth the less than $20 that one of those disks will cost you. It is not a professional calibration but it will get your TV looking very good. Do not use someone elses settings as all TVs vary a bit. After you calibrate to your disk player, transfer the settings to your other inputs and fine tune them to that source. I used the calibrated and calibrated dark options with more backlight for daytime on "Calibrated" and less for night viewing in the "calibrated dark" setting. At the price of these TVs. I can not justify the hundreds of dollars for a professional calibration, but also can not rationalize not spending $20 for a disk.

I leave the Active zones on all the time and have had no problems. The only thing I have seen is with credits at the end of a movie. With a white title in the middle of a black screen, I see some clouding around the edges. It is not bad, but it is there. Not a problem unless you are really into watching credits. That is really the only shortcoming I have seen with this set.
Thank you. Just to clarify, I am using my own calibration based on the "calibrated dark" picture mode and the Spears and Munsil disc for brightness/contrast. The setting I'm really thinking is the color temperature setting. What I'm really wondering more than anything is what temp setting is generally considered most accurate, and is "computer" or "normal" the warmest setting (you'd think it'd be obviously, but it don't see it in the manual).

I'm glad the active LED zones setting works for you. It seems to be an improvement at least for the thing I referenced above
post #639 of 1393 Old 10-16-2015, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all,

I just got a Vizio E Series (E32H) and right now I'm having trouble changing the resolution on my HDMI for my Xbox.

It is currently at 640x480... How do I increase this?? I tried switching it to stretch view, but it looks so bad.

I could not find anything in manual.. Do you guys have any solutions?

Thanks,
post #640 of 1393 Old 10-17-2015, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdonahue88 View Post
Hello all,

I just got a Vizio E Series (E32H) and right now I'm having trouble changing the resolution on my HDMI for my Xbox.

It is currently at 640x480... How do I increase this?? I tried switching it to stretch view, but it looks so bad.

Thanks,
My 360 is currently in another location so I cannot look but I have never encountered this problem. Try this.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...-video-quality
post #641 of 1393 Old 10-19-2015, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdonahue88 View Post
Hello all,

Thanks,
This is done on the xbox 360 itself, not the TV. It also depends how the 360 is connected to the TV. You can only get 1080p using HDMI or rgb component cables. On the 360, go into system settings and then display. Should be pretty clear what to do from there.
post #642 of 1393 Old 10-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood Ave View Post
Thank you. Just to clarify, I am using my own calibration based on the "calibrated dark" picture mode and the Spears and Munsil disc for brightness/contrast. The setting I'm really thinking is the color temperature setting. What I'm really wondering more than anything is what temp setting is generally considered most accurate, and is "computer" or "normal" the warmest setting (you'd think it'd be obviously, but it don't see it in the manual).

I'm glad the active LED zones setting works for you. It seems to be an improvement at least for the thing I referenced above
If you don't have a meter to calibrate with, keep it on Calibrated Dark. Bring the sharpness control down to zero, turn active led zones off, clear action off, turn the reduce noise settings to off, and keep everything else at the default. This gets you a very nearly calibrated setting. The Grayscale default in about the 4s for delta e and colors are also very accurate. The thing to know is the gamma setting is inaccurate. 2.4 is closer to 2.2 and 2.2 is closer to 2.1 so just make sure its set to 2.4 and you should bee pretty good. Contrast and brightness are accurately set. You may want to bump the contrast down one click to give highlights a little room to breath. That's it, walk away.
post #643 of 1393 Old 10-20-2015, 05:35 PM

Cid67 are you still happy with your e65?
post #644 of 1393 Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cid67 View Post
If you don't have a meter to calibrate with, keep it on Calibrated Dark. Bring the sharpness control down to zero, turn active led zones off, clear action off, turn the reduce noise settings to off, and keep everything else at the default. This gets you a very nearly calibrated setting. The Grayscale default in about the 4s for delta e and colors are also very accurate. The thing to know is the gamma setting is inaccurate. 2.4 is closer to 2.2 and 2.2 is closer to 2.1 so just make sure its set to 2.4 and you should bee pretty good. Contrast and brightness are accurately set. You may want to bump the contrast down one click to give highlights a little room to breath. That's it, walk away.
Thank you for your response. Just to clarify:

Are you suggesting not using a calibration disc (such as Spears and Munsil) to set the brightness/contrast? Using this disc, the brightness was more or less the same, but I changed the contrast from 80 to 62. Are you suggesting the default "calibrated dark" setting is more accurate? Just curious about your rationale.

I'm also curious about 2.4 gamma actually being closer to 2.2. Do you have have a source for this? Just trying to understand.
post #645 of 1393 Old 10-21-2015, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, my source is my eye-one pro spectroradiometer. That's what's happening on my set at least. The default contrast doesn't clip whites but its set right at the point where its not showing anything above white either. While we should like to see steps above white, its not required so long as your content adheres to standards. If you have a pattern that checks for clipping in the color channels you could use that to adjust down contrast in the event a color channel is clipped. I am not suggesting lowering contrast any more than 1click below default setting unless there is evidence of clipping because doing so could possibly effect accuracy elsewhere and will lower your contrast ratio. In absence of a meter to verify, I would tend to not move a setting more than I need in order to obtain a accurate picture. Lowering the contrast 1click will reveal a couple shades of above white info without likely effecting much. That should be enough to kill the potential for white clipping in content that may have highlights that go a little outside the broadcast standards.
post #646 of 1393 Old 10-21-2015, 02:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsapp2383 View Post
Cid67 are you still happy with your e65?
Yes, for the most part. I have noticed so more uniformity issues with regard to the very edges of the screen but its only there some of the time and not a distraction until I saw it, its kind of like this, if any of you have ever owned a dlp set than you may be aware that if you look for the infamous rainbow effect you would see them more and more. The trick to not seeing them was to stop looking for them, once you did that they would usually start to disappear until you didn't see them anymore. Its kind of like that. if I where to point it out specifically you would look for it and it may ruin your experience. In order to spare people that are as ocd with there picture as me some grieve I'm just going to leave it at that and say, don't look for anything. That being said I still think these sets are a tremendous bang for the buck.
lancers likes this.

Last edited by cid67; 10-21-2015 at 02:14 AM.
post #647 of 1393 Old 10-21-2015, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Transporting a 65" or 70"?

I'll be getting a 65" or 70" E-series from Costco in a few days. Should there be any difficulty in transporting one of these large sets in a pickup truck? Can they be laid down flat? or is it necessary to place it upright?

Thanks for any advice!
Fred
post #648 of 1393 Old 10-21-2015, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

You can lay it sown,
post #649 of 1393 Old 10-21-2015, 06:48 AM

Thanks cid67 i still have a month or two before i purchase and am still deciding on what to buy but am still leaning more towards the 65 inch e series. Looking in store of course my wife got wowed by the 4k m series in there and now thats what she wants so those are two sets im going between even though i told her that the stuff we watch and play is not gonna look like that lol
post #650 of 1393 Old 10-22-2015, 05:32 AM

Are 60-70" E-Series TVs good with DirecTV programming?

I'm probably getting an E-series 60,65 or 70" in the next few weeks. Our TV programming is through DirecTV and we don't do any "on-demand, PPV. So. I assume that we are pretty much getting 1080i for our viewing through the Genie (please correct me if that's wrong).

Are these TVs good with the DirecTV signal, or should I look at something else?
post #651 of 1393 Old 10-22-2015, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Just remember with a 4k set there is more processing of a 1080p image as it must be scaled to the sets native resolution so there potential for it to look worse on a 4k set. Also, if your not sitting really close to the set, like 5 feet close, you will not get the full benefit of 4k.
post #652 of 1393 Old 10-24-2015, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Getting a e60 c3 from Costco, can someone direct me to a page in this thread for some decent settings....

I have had the e60 a3 for 3 years and I am very happy with this set and will be putting the new one in a different room...

Is the new version any better then the old one I have....the older one has a very good pic, but I could easily put the new one in my living room and the older one upstairs
post #653 of 1393 Old 10-25-2015, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A few points after owning the E70 for almost 2 months:

Get the biggest size you can possibly get, except if your limitations are space or budget. If I could go to 80 inches I would.

The M series 65 inch has bad DSE along with color uniformity issues (yellow blob in the lower middle of the screen.) Maybe they corrected the problem by now but I went through two sets with the exact same problems before giving up.

4k is only worth it if you go 80+ inches and sit less than 8 feet from the screen. The 1080p on the E70 looks just as good as the M65 set I had and the E70 has an extra 5 inches on top of it. I sit about 10 feet from the screen.

The quality of your image depends on your calibration, your programming source and your source quality.

Quality can vary greatly from channel to channel on the same service. Quality can even vary greatly on the same exact channel depending on what is being broadcast.

For example, recent material (like The Hobbit) on channels like HBO look really, really good. Then an older movie without a quality rip (like the Jewel of the Nile) looked mediocre.

Messing with your picture settings will also have a big impact on your image quality. Play around with them and don't be afraid to go into ranges you assume won't look good.

This tv can produce a gorgeous picture, but it's not a miracle worker. Just like any other set, source material, the broadcaster, the service provider, and your calibration will affect the quality of your image.
w00ster likes this.
post #654 of 1393 Old 10-25-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdjunkie View Post
A few points after owning the E70 for almost 2 months:

Get the biggest size you can possibly get, except if your limitations are space or budget. If I could go to 80 inches I would.

The M series 65 inch has bad DSE along with color uniformity issues (yellow blob in the lower middle of the screen.) Maybe they corrected the problem by now but I went through two sets with the exact same problems before giving up.

4k is only worth it if you go 80+ inches and sit less than 8 feet from the screen. The 1080p on the E70 looks just as good as the M65 set I had and the E70 has an extra 5 inches on top of it. I sit about 10 feet from the screen.

The quality of your image depends on your calibration, your programming source and your source quality.

Quality can vary greatly from channel to channel on the same service. Quality can even vary greatly on the same exact channel depending on what is being broadcast.

For example, recent material (like The Hobbit) on channels like HBO look really, really good. Then an older movie without a quality rip (like the Jewel of the Nile) looked mediocre.

Messing with your picture settings will also have a big impact on your image quality. Play around with them and don't be afraid to go into ranges you assume won't look good.

This tv can produce a gorgeous picture, but it's not a miracle worker. Just like any other set, source material, the broadcaster, the service provider, and your calibration will affect the quality of your image.
This pretty much mirrors my experience with my M70-C3 over the last 4 months. it is also what makes it so hard to compare one set to another when you are shopping. Suffice it to say that properly adjusted and a good source, this set compares favorably with any LCD TV for normal vewing.
post #655 of 1393 Old 10-25-2015, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Returned my E70-C3 to Costco yesterday after only 10 days. TV had a persistent and very noticeable green dot on the top left corner of the screen whenever I connected anything over any of its HDMI ports. Thought this was a dead pixel problem at first, but the pixels behave fine if I use the build in apps or watch television using an antenna (I dont have cable). It was omnipresent whenever I used my Xbox one and Chromecast. Also, it doesn't happen with my E43-C2 so I guess it was just bad luck for me

Anybody else faced this issue?

Wanted to get a replacement set off Costco but transporting the set is a big hassle. It doesn't fit in my car and I end up spending a good chunk of my precious weekend days getting either a friend with a large SUV or a U-Haul to bring the set to and from the Costco warehouse. Planning on ordering a new E70 off Amazon, leveraging their Enhanced Delivery
post #656 of 1393 Old 10-26-2015, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00ster View Post
Returned my E70-C3 to Costco yesterday after only 10 days. TV had a persistent and very noticeable green dot on the top left corner of the screen whenever I connected anything over any of its HDMI ports. Thought this was a dead pixel problem at first, but the pixels behave fine if I use the build in apps or watch television using an antenna (I dont have cable). It was omnipresent whenever I used my Xbox one and Chromecast. Also, it doesn't happen with my E43-C2 so I guess it was just bad luck for me

Anybody else faced this issue?

Wanted to get a replacement set off Costco but transporting the set is a big hassle. It doesn't fit in my car and I end up spending a good chunk of my precious weekend days getting either a friend with a large SUV or a U-Haul to bring the set to and from the Costco warehouse. Planning on ordering a new E70 off Amazon, leveraging their Enhanced Delivery
I got an E70-C3 from Costco when they were on sale, mine is perfect, replacing a 10 yr old Toshiba DLP RPTV, very happy with the E70 choice and haven't seen it close to the Costco sale price.
w00ster likes this.

Kemper Holt
post #657 of 1393 Old 10-26-2015, 12:30 PM

why is the newer version c3 wider then the original version the a3?
post #658 of 1393 Old 10-26-2015, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Can someone explain what h.264 artifacts are? I was reading a review on the E series and it seemed to be perfect in every way for me besides the playback on SD.

The E-series is a bit below average when it comes to playing low-resolution videos like DVDs or cable. Setting 'Reduce Block Noise' to 'High' helps a little bit for removing h.264 artifacts. However, it still doesn't improve the picture significantly.
post #659 of 1393 Old 10-26-2015, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the help
post #660 of 1393 Old 10-27-2015, 10:26 AM

I purchased the 24" Vizio E24-C1 TV over the weekend and really like it so far. It is in the bedroom, so not going to demand too much from the TV. I was presently surprised at the performance after hooking it up over the weekend. My one concern is over some noticeable motion blur I saw last night while watching TV. I have the TV hooked up to my DirecTV box via HDMI and didn't notice this at all when I first hooked up the TV on Friday. Last night was a different story so I messed around with the calibration with no luck. Since this is a pretty cheap model, I'm not too concerned, but thought I'd check to see if anyone had advice or experience with eliminating (as much as possible) the blur. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page