Official Vizio 2015 "E" series owners thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 115Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #871 of 1393 Old 12-03-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
golfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post
There are still many people using OTA, and not having the RF coaxial input may not bother everyone. It does seem ridiculous to remove it. Many are probably using other methods to see OTA (specifically using a rooftop antenna).

I use a Dish receiver with an integrated OTA tuner, that sends the signal through HDMI.
You could also use a DTVPal or ChannelMaster OTA DVR that sends the signal through HDMI.
I use OTA on one of my Dish receivers because it gives me more channels than Dish provides as well as giving me an extra recordable tuner. When I got the Hopper receiver for my other TVs, it does not have an OTA antenna input. I have my antenna hooked directly to the TV on that one. I would not buy a TV that did not have an RF input and a digital tuner for OTA reception. I find it hard to believe that Vizio or anyone would consider that.
golfster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #872 of 1393 Old 12-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Member
 
precator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just got my new e70-c3 a week ago, I love it, but the screen randomly goes black for a second then comes back on. This has happened like 5 -10 times the last 2 days. Anyone know what could be wrong? Is
precator is offline  
post #873 of 1393 Old 12-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Member
 
elloco07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by precator View Post
So I just got my new e70-c3 a week ago, I love it, but the screen randomly goes black for a second then comes back on. This has happened like 5 -10 times the last 2 days. Anyone know what could be wrong? Is
You mean like this? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post39398066
elloco07 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #874 of 1393 Old 12-03-2015, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DoctorM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,124
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 259
We receive free standard def cable where we live. So we use that for basic cable channels but OTA antennas for HD network television (and the internet for pretty much everything else).
Comcast still pushes a lot of DTA boxes that ONLY output RF cables.

Seems pretty short sighted.
DoctorM is offline  
post #875 of 1393 Old 12-04-2015, 05:53 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by elloco07 View Post
I found out if I have ARC enabled on my Receiver Yamaha RX-V779 and CEC Enabled or ARC Only. My Vizio E70 starts blinking every minute or so, showing the Info banner. If I turn off ARC on either device, the TV stops blinking and is fine.


Has anyone experience this before and maybe have a solution for this ARC issue?


Thanks
I have the E60-C3 and have the same problem....though disabling CEC has not helped my situation.....still get the blank screen/info panel popping up randomaly, several time per hour. I have Direct TV Satellite. Also, I have an older receiver that does not have ARC capability - and really do not need that functionality since my bandwith sucks where is live (rural - using ATT over phone lines). I have called the Vizio Tech Support, but no luck - I don't think they have a clue what the issue is. I am going to return this set to Best Buy this afternoon and go with a different brand (I am running out of brands since I don't like Samsung due to their capacitor issues).
T&JC is offline  
post #876 of 1393 Old 12-04-2015, 06:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Diversion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Took apart my E32-C1 in order to see if you can "debezel" the E series.. You cannot and I DO NOT RECOMMEND anybody trying.. It is a very scary process... And the entire LCD is a single panel of glass like material.. Almost like they laminated glass to the LCD (like newer cell phones/tablets). The outside screen you can physically touch IS the LCD itself.

Should have taken pics.. the LED array has a pure white front side (assuming to evenly distribute light).. The bezel of the TV is actually the tray to hold the LCD glass panel to the frame of the tv.. so therefore it's impossible to debezel this to minimize distance if you're interested in a multi-monitor setup.

There's a massive ribbon cable that looks very easily broken that is super scary thin and connects to the system board on the back of the frame from the LCD.. The ribbon cable extends the width of the LCD panel..

All in all, this is my first experience with Full array/direct lit LCDs.. assuming most are built this way with a floating piece of pure LCD (about 2mm or less thick).

Vizio used a thin strip of black felt between the area of the bezel between the edge of the lcd and backlit to keep light from escaping and uniform.. So when I removed my bezel, I messed up quite a bit of the felt lining and after putting everything together I have more clouding in certain areas on full black screens now then how it came out of the box..

I'm not mad about it, picture is still perfect 99% of the time but do not go tinkering around like I did! :P

Oh and it's impossible for dust to be noticed or ruin the picture if it gets on the backside of the lcd panel.. I noticed a lot of dust on the backside of the lcd and it's not noticeable at all when you're using the tv.. even sitting directly in front you can't see any defects from my experiment besides a little more clouding.

Vizio P50-C1
Vizio M50-C1
Vizio E701i-A3
Vizio D40u-D1
Diversion is offline  
post #877 of 1393 Old 12-04-2015, 07:54 AM
Member
 
cubfanbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new [as of Tuesday 12/1] E55-C1. When I set up the TV on Tuesday the native Amazon and Netflix apps were operational. On Wednesday night when I tried to use the Amazon app, there was video but no audio other than scratching and popping sounds, regardless of which program I tried to watch. Checked Netflix and found the same problem, but not on every program.

I talked to Vizio support last night - they had me do a "System Check" and power the set off, wait 3 minutes, and power it back on. Problem remained. The support rep mentioned that the firmware was updated "on Tuesday".

Vizio is arranging for a replacement TV in 7-10 business days, but I'd prefer to avoid that - I like the picture on the one I've got, and this is more an annoyance than a show-stopper... I can still access Amazon and Netflix via my Blu-ray player.

A few questions:

1. Is anyone else having the "no audio" problem on the Amazon and/or Netflix apps?
2. How do I find out what the most recent firmware is for the E55-C1?
3. Is this something that could have been caused by the firmware update?
4. How often does Vizio update firmware?
5. What is a "System Check" and what does it do, and how does it differ from a "System Reset"?

Thanks in advance for the help - appreciate it!
cubfanbob is offline  
post #878 of 1393 Old 12-04-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
golfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfanbob View Post
I have a new [as of Tuesday 12/1] E55-C1. When I set up the TV on Tuesday the native Amazon and Netflix apps were operational. On Wednesday night when I tried to use the Amazon app, there was video but no audio other than scratching and popping sounds, regardless of which program I tried to watch. Checked Netflix and found the same problem, but not on every program.

I talked to Vizio support last night - they had me do a "System Check" and power the set off, wait 3 minutes, and power it back on. Problem remained. The support rep mentioned that the firmware was updated "on Tuesday".

Vizio is arranging for a replacement TV in 7-10 business days, but I'd prefer to avoid that - I like the picture on the one I've got, and this is more an annoyance than a show-stopper... I can still access Amazon and Netflix via my Blu-ray player.

A few questions:

1. Is anyone else having the "no audio" problem on the Amazon and/or Netflix apps?
2. How do I find out what the most recent firmware is for the E55-C1?
3. Is this something that could have been caused by the firmware update?
4. How often does Vizio update firmware?
5. What is a "System Check" and what does it do, and how does it differ from a "System Reset"?

Thanks in advance for the help - appreciate it!
I would just do a system reset from the menu and see if it fixes your problem, Updates should be applied automatically.
golfster is offline  
post #879 of 1393 Old 12-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Member
 
cubfanbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
I would just do a system reset from the menu and see if it fixes your problem, Updates should be applied automatically.
I tried a System Reset this morning and that did not fix the problem; I did not reset the TV back to original factory settings.

Last edited by cubfanbob; 12-04-2015 at 11:10 AM.
cubfanbob is offline  
post #880 of 1393 Old 12-04-2015, 03:15 PM
Member
 
elloco07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&JC View Post
I have the E60-C3 and have the same problem....though disabling CEC has not helped my situation.....still get the blank screen/info panel popping up randomaly, several time per hour. I have Direct TV Satellite. Also, I have an older receiver that does not have ARC capability - and really do not need that functionality since my bandwith sucks where is live (rural - using ATT over phone lines). I have called the Vizio Tech Support, but no luck - I don't think they have a clue what the issue is. I am going to return this set to Best Buy this afternoon and go with a different brand (I am running out of brands since I don't like Samsung due to their capacitor issues).
I bought mine from Walmart during Black Friday, not sure I can find another good 70" for under 900.00, If I see one I might trade it out.
elloco07 is offline  
post #881 of 1393 Old 12-04-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
golfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfanbob View Post
I tried a System Reset this morning and that did not fix the problem; I did not reset the TV back to original factory settings.
I would do the factory reset. You can easily put back your preferences, just write the values down.
golfster is offline  
post #882 of 1393 Old 12-04-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
golfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
I just tried my E70-C3 and the VCR menu works just fine on the Vizio. A little disclaimer here. I am using a VCR/DVD recorder and it displays a color graphic menu. Also, when I switch to the menu, the recorder switches to the DVD side and the inputs are component video and that may make a difference. Perhaps a DVD/VCR combo would work for her. Even the non DVD recording models should use component connections. Mine is a Pioneer DVR-RT500 if you are interested. It records to DVD as well as VHS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
It seems impossible to get a plain VCR anymore. They're all combos. They also seem to largely have HDMI output, which should completely eliminate the problem.
It's one of the things we're considering as a solution.

When you say component you mean Y/Pb/Pr cabling? Yeah that should make a difference. It might even be getting upscaled to 480p or higher.
I need to edit what I said a bit. While the menu works just fine, I can not play a VHS tape because there is no yellow video input and my unit does not output the VCR video through the component cables. All I get is the sound through the RCA audio cables. Guess I will move that unit to one of my older TVs and get to work dubbing all my VHS tapes to DVD. Have not tries the RF input as I have an OTA antenna hooked to it and will leave it that way.

Looks like this is the way to go if you must have a VCR as it upconverts to HDMI
http://www.amazon.com/Funai-ZV427FX4...d+recorder#Ask

Last edited by golfster; 12-04-2015 at 08:03 PM.
golfster is offline  
post #883 of 1393 Old 12-05-2015, 06:17 AM
Member
 
cubfanbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
> I would do the factory reset. You can easily put back your preferences, just write the values down.

That worked - both the Amazon and Netflix apps are now operational.

Thank you!
cubfanbob is offline  
post #884 of 1393 Old 12-06-2015, 12:08 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all. I just picked up a E55-C2 from Walmart. It does have a J in the 4th character. This is the backlight bleed. Seems really bad. Defective, or because of IPS instead of VA? I can't seem to find a VA model. Should I go with another TV then, or is this just defective?

sualpine is offline  
post #885 of 1393 Old 12-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Member
 
happy2Lurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Size, Distance and Conversion / upscaling

I am trying to decide between the E60 & E65.

Current seating is about 9.5 - 11 feet back but I am considering re-arranging things in the future, which would put seating about 7.5 to 9 feet.

I am leaning toward the E65 but my concern is that imperfections in up scaling will be more noticeable on the bigger screen of the 65 than the 60, especially if seated in the 7.5 to 9 foot range.

Most of my viewing is over-the-air TV (720p / 1080i) and other media (DVDs, MKVs) that is less than 1080p, so most everything will be up-scaled by my AVR (SC-72).

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by happy2Lurk; 12-06-2015 at 03:34 PM.
happy2Lurk is offline  
post #886 of 1393 Old 12-06-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
golfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Lurk View Post
I am trying to decide between the E60 & E65.

Current seating is about 9.5 - 11 feet back but I am considering re-arranging things in the future, which would put seating about 7.5 to 9 feet.
Buy both. When you change the furniture from 7.5' to 9.5', just swap the 65" for the 60".

Seriously, the 65" has a better processor and more dimming zones as well as a 120Hz panel as opposed to a 60Hz in the 60"..

Last edited by golfster; 12-06-2015 at 04:49 PM.
golfster is offline  
post #887 of 1393 Old 12-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
the e series is a really good one
bigronker1 is offline  
post #888 of 1393 Old 12-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Member
 
mcarvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Deptford, NJ
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiekathome View Post
Hey all just got the e-55 c1. Have it connected to a denon. Avr. Things seem to switch sources o.k., but when I watch video through through a VIA app, audio stays on my dvr. Even though I have tv speakers turned off and CEC enabled. It's making me nuts.
I'm having exactly the same issue with my E50-C1 and Denon AVR-S900W. I went through the rest of the thread looking for a reply to this, but didn't see one. Did you ever resolve it?
mcarvin is offline  
post #889 of 1393 Old 12-07-2015, 02:34 AM
Member
 
lancers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Durham NC
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Lurk View Post
I am trying to decide between the E60 & E65.

Current seating is about 9.5 - 11 feet back but I am considering re-arranging things in the future, which would put seating about 7.5 to 9 feet.

I am leaning toward the E65 but my concern is that imperfections in up scaling will be more noticeable on the bigger screen of the 65 than the 60, especially if seated in the 7.5 to 9 foot range.

Most of my viewing is over-the-air TV (720p / 1080i) and other media (DVDs, MKVs) that is less than 1080p, so most everything will be up-scaled by my AVR (SC-72).

Any advice appreciated.

I got the 65 for a large family room area and thought it might be too large. After viewing it for a while I think I could have gone bigger.
THX1720 and DoctorM like this.
lancers is offline  
post #890 of 1393 Old 12-07-2015, 03:53 AM
Member
 
andy582's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have kind of an unusual question, if anyone's qualified to answer it. Most online reviews always compare TVs from the same year, so it's hard to have a sense of how much technology has progressed overall..

My current set is an LG55LH90, it was a top of the line set in 2009 (I got it 50% off in 2010), full-array local dimming, apparently about 80 zones, per a YouTube investigator.

If I decided to 'upgrade' to a 65 or 70 inch 1080p E-series- am I going to get a better TV?

i.e., 6 years later, is a high-quality bargain level set like the Vizio going to be *better* than the top of the line set from 6 years earlier? Or have we not seen *that much* progress across the board?
andy582 is offline  
post #891 of 1393 Old 12-08-2015, 07:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy582 View Post
I have kind of an unusual question, if anyone's qualified to answer it. Most online reviews always compare TVs from the same year, so it's hard to have a sense of how much technology has progressed overall..

My current set is an LG55LH90, it was a top of the line set in 2009 (I got it 50% off in 2010), full-array local dimming, apparently about 80 zones, per a YouTube investigator.

If I decided to 'upgrade' to a 65 or 70 inch 1080p E-series- am I going to get a better TV?

i.e., 6 years later, is a high-quality bargain level set like the Vizio going to be *better* than the top of the line set from 6 years earlier? Or have we not seen *that much* progress across the board?
I'm not sure this is the answer you want to hear, but it's been my experience that ANY new TV you buy will initially look worse than what you are replacing, once you get it home. Over time we get used to the picture on our current/old TV. Compound that with automatically being over analytical of a new TV's picture that I always think a new TV looks worse. I know I spent the first 2 weeks looking at the picture adjustment menus versus actual content.
As far as technology goes, there is certainly more in the E series than your old LG. How much of that tech translates into a better picture is almost always personal preference.

For me, owning an E60-C3 for a few months now, I like the TV and am happy with my purchase. Only two issues stand out for me. Off axis viewing is pretty bad compared the the IPS panel I had before. Also, I wish I had gone with the E65, which is a 120Hz panel, versus the E60's 60Hz. My eyes definitely can tell the difference.

Last edited by eliamike; 12-08-2015 at 07:34 AM.
eliamike is offline  
post #892 of 1393 Old 12-08-2015, 08:24 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
For those E Series experts out there, I am deciding between the E48-C2 and E50-C1 and am curious about the spec differences.

The 48 inch is $70 cheaper than the 50 inch and I really would rather save the $70 than gain 2 inches that I don't need (the tv will be in a relatively small room). However I have two concerns about getting the 48 inch instead of the 50 inch:

1. The 48 inch has 6 active dimming zones and the 50 inch has 12 active dimming zones (twice as many). Can anyone tell me how big of a difference having twice as many dimming zones will make? Will this make a big difference in picture quality or relatively minor/unnoticeable?

2. The 48 inch has a 2 million to 1 contrast ratio while the 50 inch has a 5 million to 1 contrast ratio (2.5 times larger). I know contrast ratio is often BS, but since this is the same brand and model Vizio wouldn't really have any reason to exaggerate one over the other.

Bottom line: Considering these two specs, is it worth ponying up an extra $70 for the 50 inch or are these specs not very important? Again, the 2 inches larger is meaningless to me. Thank you so much for your help!
billy269 is offline  
post #893 of 1393 Old 12-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Member
 
andy582's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliamike View Post
I'm not sure this is the answer you want to hear, but it's been my experience that ANY new TV you buy will initially look worse than what you are replacing, once you get it home. Over time we get used to the picture on our current/old TV. Compound that with automatically being over analytical of a new TV's picture that I always think a new TV looks worse. I know I spent the first 2 weeks looking at the picture adjustment menus versus actual content.
As far as technology goes, there is certainly more in the E series than your old LG. How much of that tech translates into a better picture is almost always personal preference.

For me, owning an E60-C3 for a few months now, I like the TV and am happy with my purchase. Only two issues stand out for me. Off axis viewing is pretty bad compared the the IPS panel I had before. Also, I wish I had gone with the E65, which is a 120Hz panel, versus the E60's 60Hz. My eyes definitely can tell the difference.
Yeah, I've looked at specs.. The off axis isn't great with the LG, either.. and I think the Vizio might beat it in black levels, and in reduced blooming, even if I'll probably turn off the FALD.. The Vizio only has 16 zones to the LG's 80, but I know implementation makes a difference.

The LG is a nice set, so I'm just trying to figure out whether bargain 2015 beats high-end 2009. Upgrading from 55 to 70 inches for 1.1k and a comparable picture, with HDR/4k content still years away from abundance- tough to pass up when I can afford it.
andy582 is offline  
post #894 of 1393 Old 12-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy582 View Post
Yeah, I've looked at specs.. The off axis isn't great with the LG, either.. and I think the Vizio might beat it in black levels, and in reduced blooming, even if I'll probably turn off the FALD.. The Vizio only has 16 zones to the LG's 80, but I know implementation makes a difference.

The LG is a nice set, so I'm just trying to figure out whether bargain 2015 beats high-end 2009. Upgrading from 55 to 70 inches for 1.1k and a comparable picture, with HDR/4k content still years away from abundance- tough to pass up when I can afford it.
Well, I'd say go for it then. If you look at the other brands at this price point, the Vizio is the clear choice. You could spend hundreds more and get a better picture with say, a Samsung, but if you're balancing cost with quality, again the Vizio wins.

Just be prepared (like with any new TV) to spend quite a bit of time getting the picture the way you want it. In the stores, they simply put all TVs in Vivid mode. When you get it home it'll look washed out and dull.
eliamike is offline  
post #895 of 1393 Old 12-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliamike View Post
Well, I'd say go for it then. If you look at the other brands at this price point, the Vizio is the clear choice. You could spend hundreds more and get a better picture with say, a Samsung, but if you're balancing cost with quality, again the Vizio wins.

Just be prepared (like with any new TV) to spend quite a bit of time getting the picture the way you want it. In the stores, they simply put all TVs in Vivid mode. When you get it home it'll look washed out and dull.
I have to say - Vizio TVs have a nice picture for the money, but I'm pretty disappointed in their quality control.

I bought two TVs on Black Friday, an E70-C3 for myself and a D55u-D1 as a gift. The E70 had terrible backlight leak from the far left edge of the screen (due to improperly-applied felt between the panel and the frame, perhaps?). After hauling this thing home and going to the trouble of hanging it on the wall, I didn't want to mess with returning it. I cut a thin piece of electrical tape and used it to seal the gap along the left side of the screen. It worked...but should I have to apply electrical tape to the front of my new $900 TV?

Now, a week later, a cluster of dead pixels (stuck on) have appeared at the upper-left corner of the screen. Oddly, these are only apparent with HDMI sources. But still, extremely annoying. I've also noticed that when shutting off the TV, the picture will randomly show some wildly-distorted pattern just before shutting off. I've decided to return the set. Walmart made this a bigger hassle than they should've, by making the E70 online-only after Black Friday (and jacking the price $300), but after an hour on the phone with customer service we worked out a resolution. New TV arrives next week, no cost out of pocket.

The D55 was even worse. Had a two-inch-wide gray bar at the left side of the screen, right out of the box. Exchanging this online-only order was a pain, I ended up just returning for a refund.

I've had Samsung, LG, and Apex LCD and plasma sets in the past and have never had to deal with these headaches.
Grant W is offline  
post #896 of 1393 Old 12-08-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
golfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant W View Post
I have to say - Vizio TVs have a nice picture for the money, but I'm pretty disappointed in their quality control.
.
I have had the opposite experience. I have a 7-8 year old Vizio LCD and bought an E70-C3 this year. I have not had so much as a hiccup with either set. I did have a Vizio plasma about 10 years ago that was not very good and I returned it for a Panasonic. Maybe you are just very unlucky.
lancers likes this.
golfster is offline  
post #897 of 1393 Old 12-08-2015, 02:39 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Haha it sure feels like it.

I'll give Vizio one last chance with the replacement E70-C3. Any issues with it and I'll spend a few hundred more and get a Samsung, probably in a couple of months when they're trying to flush out the 2015 models.
Grant W is offline  
post #898 of 1393 Old 12-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Member
 
Kiddikop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also got the Target deal on the E70-C3. Pretty good picture right out of the box, but 4 days later it developed a vertical line down the left side. What a bummer, taking it back and getting a refund. Searched all over the area in a hundred mile radius and could not find another Target that had one in stock. Nor did they offer rainchecks. Now I have a huge wall mount, special order, and nothing to put on it! My hunt for a 70 inch, that won't break the bank, continues. Am hoping there will be some more sales before Christmas. It looks like several other stores carry the E 70, but now I'm a little gunshy, especially after reading the forum. As usual, I appreciate all the input from all of you who have taken the time to educate the rest of us!
Kiddikop is offline  
post #899 of 1393 Old 12-08-2015, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
PeterNincompoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Hey all -

Just bought a E43-C2 for my sister for xmas...

Can anyone point me to some jump-off settings for the E43?



Only really been following the M thread as I just bought myself the M60...

Last edited by PeterNincompoop; 12-08-2015 at 10:27 PM.
PeterNincompoop is offline  
post #900 of 1393 Old 12-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Senior Member
 
klh007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddikop View Post
I also got the Target deal on the E70-C3. Pretty good picture right out of the box, but 4 days later it developed a vertical line down the left side. What a bummer, taking it back and getting a refund. Searched all over the area in a hundred mile radius and could not find another Target that had one in stock. Nor did they offer rainchecks. Now I have a huge wall mount, special order, and nothing to put on it! My hunt for a 70 inch, that won't break the bank, continues. Am hoping there will be some more sales before Christmas. It looks like several other stores carry the E 70, but now I'm a little gunshy, especially after reading the forum. As usual, I appreciate all the input from all of you who have taken the time to educate the rest of us!
Plenty of us have E 70 C3s without any issues, it can be purchased for under $1200 many places including Costco.

Kemper Holt
klh007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off