**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 497 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9816Likes

post #14881 of 24077 Old 02-11-2016, 09:19 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro8500 View Post
To prime19....when using ur new ks8500 bluray player does it allow us to change the HDMI black level to normal or low or is it grayed out???

Read the section on "HDMI Black Level" in my picture settings post.

(Click the "JS Series Picture Settings" link in my signature.)

Richard
jbalsor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14882 of 24077 Old 02-11-2016, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by prme19 View Post
HDR metadata automatically adjusts your color space. you can change between auto, native, and custom, but it will still be the same color space.
But wont that be bad? If everyones panel is different, and your calibrations nay not be acurate on mine, then will it not look different on my tv than yours.
post #14883 of 24077 Old 02-11-2016, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Well I'm going back in and trying CNET's settings, just to see if that makes any difference to my white clipping patterns.

I fired up the media player to see how the panel looks cold again with the screensaver on. The panel shows virtually no clouding - now that it's night and there's no light leaking in from the room-darkening curtains, I can make out the very slightest hint of clouding - you really have to stare to see it, and I can't imagine anybody complaining about this panel by the looks of it right now. This is with Smart LED on standard. I also turned Smart LED off for a moment, and what surprised me is how nice the panel looks right now even with Smart LED off. Although the black is lighter with it disabled of course, there's still virtually no clouding to be seen. Just the slightest suggestion of a couple blotches that you can barely see, and that depends where the icon is at the moment on-screen.

I'll do the same thing later after the set has run for a couple hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14884 of 24077 Old 02-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
So am I correct in assuming that when watching HDR content the color space needs to be set to native to get the full effect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prme19 View Post
HDR metadata automatically adjusts your color space. you can change between auto, native, and custom, but it will still be the same color space.
^^^^ Exactly.

If the color space is not automatically changed by the metadata (which does happen in certain cases), then YES, you'll have to manually change it to "Native" in order to get wider color gamut.

Richard
post #14885 of 24077 Old 02-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansbrand View Post
But wont that be bad? If everyones panel is different, and your calibrations nay not be acurate on mine, then will it not look different on my tv than yours.

You misunderstood.

The "Color Space" setting has nothing to do with calibration. (At least not directly.)

Read the "Color Space" section in my picture settings post.

(Click the "JS Series Picture Settings" link in my signature.

Richard
post #14886 of 24077 Old 02-11-2016, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4747 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
If you're plugging a Uhd Blu-ray player into this set, you should set that particular input to the HDMI UHD Color mode from the picture menu setting.

Unfortunately, if you are using a receiver as an HDMI switcher and audio decoder, this will become a global video setting.
post #14887 of 24077 Old 02-11-2016, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just finished putting in CNET's settings and testing out some test patterns. Wow, what a difference that makes for my set. Those are definitely the settings to use for my panel. Without tweaking anything, the white clipping pattern has no pink bars at all - just grey. The greyscale ramps look good, there's no black crush, and there seems to be no white clipping or color clipping. The test images on the Disney Wow disc look gorgeous. I'm going to see if these settings get me closer in 3D mode too, since I was having a real hard time earlier today in 3D mode.

The only thing is CNET's contrast is at 92. Prme19 and denpom had theirs set to 98. If I bump my contrast up even a few notches closer to 98 with CNET's settings, those grey bars in the white clipping pattern go pink. So 92 seems like the correct number if using CNET's settings.

Will that loss of a few contrast points from 98 to 92 make much of a difference in how things look overall? Does this mean CNET's settings will have less of a dynamic range, or is that compensated for in other settings? I assume it's calibrated so the contrast must be optimal, correct?
TinyRK likes this.
post #14888 of 24077 Old 02-11-2016, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overblod View Post
I bought the 65" one last week from Costco, it was on sale for 1999. If all goes as planned, I will have it up and running by tomorrow evening! super exited!!! will be replacing 9 year old 46" Sony. Planning to calibrate based on link(s) in OP. Anything else to keep in mind? any dos and donts?
Mine arrived this morning while I was at work so couldn't wait to come home today. Ate dinner in like 10 minutes then went to work.

First impressions of my TV are good but just watched a couple of NCAA basketball games and Alien vs Predator on one of the movie channels. Used King Richards JS set up and didn't see any immediate issues. I'll hook up blu ray tomorrow and then do an Audyssey setup Saturday.

Have a new AVR (Marantz 6010) and amp (Emotiva XPA-5) so lots of new stuff to organize. There are some connection issues with the Marantz or Emotiva as I couldn't get sound through my front & center channel tonight. I recall some ARC issues so will get on this tomorrow after work. No bent edges and the dark Costco gunmetal frame makes the PQ pop... Just kidding.
blasterr, King Richard and mc_avs like this.
post #14889 of 24077 Old 02-11-2016, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quick question to owners of the Costco UN65JS850D. Is the color of the bezel the typical Samsung shiny grayish gunmetal, like the JS7000 or JS9000? I haven't been able to see it in person.

Thanks.
post #14890 of 24077 Old 02-11-2016, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What's the color of the Costco bezel?

Quick question to owners of the Costco UN65JS850D. Is the color of the bezel the typical Samsung shiny grayish gunmetal, like the JS7000 or JS9000? I haven't been able to see it in person.

Thanks.
post #14891 of 24077 Old 02-11-2016, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post
Just finished putting in CNET's settings and testing out some test patterns. Wow, what a difference that makes for my set. Those are definitely the settings to use for my panel. Without tweaking anything, the white clipping pattern has no pink bars at all - just grey. The greyscale ramps look good, there's no black crush, and there seems to be no white clipping or color clipping. The test images on the Disney Wow disc look gorgeous. I'm going to see if these settings get me closer in 3D mode too, since I was having a real hard time earlier today in 3D mode.

The only thing is CNET's contrast is at 92. Prme19 and denpom had theirs set to 98. If I bump my contrast up even a few notches closer to 98 with CNET's settings, those grey bars in the white clipping pattern go pink. So 92 seems like the correct number if using CNET's settings.

Will that loss of a few contrast points from 98 to 92 make much of a difference in how things look overall? Does this mean CNET's settings will have less of a dynamic range, or is that compensated for in other settings? I assume it's calibrated so the contrast must be optimal, correct?
Whites still seem pretty bright to me.
eagle_2 likes this.
post #14892 of 24077 Old 02-11-2016, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
^^^^ Exactly.

If the color space is not automatically changed by the metadata (which does happen in certain cases), then YES, you'll have to manually change it to "Native" in order to get wider color gamut.

Richard
I'm not sure I like this automatic metadata stuff. How are we supposed to get a calibrated picture if this stuff keeps getting changed?
post #14893 of 24077 Old 02-11-2016, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, so I finished putting in CNET's settings for 3D mode. Overall I think I'm pretty happy with how it went - the results are certainly better than they were previously. For my panel, CNET's settings seem to give much better results. Much better color and the test patterns all look good.

I'm convinced 3D mode has a stronger red push, as the white clipping bars are pinkish with the same exact settings that gave grey bars in 2D mode (both in movie mode of course). I'm going to leave things alone because otherwise everything looks good, and if I start messing with the gains again then I'll just end up throwing other things off. Color looks quite good in 3D mode now - similar to the same image in 2d mode. I found what helped a lot with color compensation for the glasses is to drop the color temperature down 1 notch in 3D from what I use in 2D - that helps offset the tinting in the glasses a lot. I decided to stick with warm1 in 2D mode with CNET's settings - I've always preferred warm1 personally. The grey bars in the white clipping test are still grey in warm1. In 3D mode, I drop that to standard, which would be too cool in 2D mode, but looks just right in 3D mode with the glasses on.

I think I'm done for now with adjusting settings. Everything looks very good, and I'm going to just sit back and enjoy watching some stuff this weekend with the settings I've got and see how it all looks with some movies running.
King Richard and mc_avs like this.
post #14894 of 24077 Old 02-11-2016, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

About the clouding -

So it's been 2 hours since I turned the TV on tonight, and I just checked the media player's screensaver again before shutting it all down for the night.

Sure enough, the clouding is much more visible after the TV being on for 2 hours. With Smart LED on standard and high, I can easily see the clouding. It's more noticeable depending on where the screensaver icon is located on the screen, but the blotches of clouding is certainly noticeable. With Smart LED off, it's even more noticeable. This is a big difference to how the screen looked just 2 hours ago. People here can be a doubting Thomas if they want to be, but I know what I've seen with my own eyes, and like I said, this is easily repeatable over and over again, with the same results each time. This panel gets worse with clouding the longer it stays on, just like my old ES series sets.

What's most worrying is that this is after 2 hours. How will the screen look after 6 hours on a weekend? Do I have to turn the TV off after each movie and wait a half-an-hour each time for the TV to cool down again? That's absurd. What if our monitors did that? How would people like it if they sat at their PC monitors and 2 or 3 hours into their evening there were blotches all over the screen? This is unacceptable for an expensive TV like this, and I have no doubt that if I exchanged this set for another one, it would likely be the same situation, just like it was when I exchanged my old ES series set for another one and it did the same thing. I think it's in the design of this set, that heat builds up quickly and affects the panel in such a way that clouding becomes visible, just like many of their previous models. I had hoped after the outstanding F8000 that they had learned how to eliminate this for good, but they went right back to having the same issues as they used to.

It would be a shame to return this set, because it is capable of delivering truly stunning images once the settings are dialed in properly. But what good is that if the panel gets worse by the hour and needs cool-down time in-between films or TV episodes? We really can't afford to get a 2016 model, certainly not a 55", and maybe not even a smaller size until the prices drop later in the year, and from the looks of the early release photos and videos of the thin "360-degree" design, I doubt if the situation would be any better than the 2015 models. All they have to do is use FALD and make the sets thick enough so that the heat is generated farther away from the panel, and they could eliminate a good portion of their returns. What a shame. I'll be keeping my eye on the new sets anyways, and meanwhile I'll try to enjoy this set and see just how much that clouding affects my real-life viewing. I like to watch a lot of sci-fi and horror so there should be plenty of opportunities to see some dark content. If it wasn't for the heat/clouding issue - this set would get high marks from me - but with this issue, I just don't know.

Last edited by eagle_2; 02-11-2016 at 11:57 PM.
post #14895 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
About the clouding -

So it's been 2 hours since I turned the TV on tonight, and I just checked the media player's screensaver again before shutting it all down for the night.

Sure enough, the clouding is much more visible after the TV being on for 2 hours. With Smart LED on standard and high, I can easily see the clouding. It's more noticeable depending on where the screensaver icon is located on the screen, but the blotches of clouding is certainly noticeable. With Smart LED off, it's even more noticeable. This is a big difference to how the screen looked just 2 hours ago. People here can be a doubting Thomas if they want to be, but I know what I've seen with my own eyes, and like I said, this is easily repeatable over and over again, with the same results each time. This panel gets worse with clouding the longer it stays on, just like my old ES series sets.

What's most worrying is that this is after 2 hours. How will the screen look after 6 hours on a weekend? Do I have to turn the TV off after each movie and wait a half-an-hour each time for the TV to cool down again? That's absurd. What if our monitors did that? How would people like it if they sat at their PC monitors and 2 or 3 hours into their evening there were blotches all over the screen? This is unacceptable for an expensive TV like this, and I have no doubt that if I exchanged this set for another one, it would likely be the same situation, just like it was when I exchanged my old ES series set for another one and it did the same thing. I think it's in the design of this set, that heat builds up quickly and affects the panel in such a way that clouding becomes visible, just like many of their previous models. I had hoped after the outstanding F8000 that they had learned how to eliminate this for good, but they went right back to having the same issues as they used to.

It would be a shame to return this set, because it is capable of delivering truly stunning images once the settings are dialed in properly. But what good is that if the panel gets worse by the hour and needs cool-down time in-between films or TV episodes? We really can't afford to get a 2016 model, certainly not a 55", and maybe not even a smaller size until the prices drop later in the year, and from the looks of the early release photos and videos of the thin "360-degree" design, I doubt if the situation would be any better than the 2015 models. All they have to do is use FALD and make the sets thick enough so that the heat is generated farther away from the panel, and they could eliminate a good portion of their returns. What a shame. I'll be keeping my eye on the new sets anyways, and meanwhile I'll try to enjoy this set and see just how much that clouding affects my real-life viewing. I like to watch a lot of sci-fi and horror so there should be plenty of opportunities to see some dark content. If it wasn't for the heat/clouding issue - this set would get high marks from me - but with this issue, I just don't know.
Have you tired this?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...isclaimer.html

I honestly feel the same way as you. The issues this TV has with clouding and light bleed are annoying and seem to grow more noticeable the longer you have the set. I too can't afford a 2016 till probably late next year and spending 2000 dollars on a TV is a lot. I cant believe people spent 2500 or more on this TV. I'm mystified that Samsung will sell edge sets in 2016 that are twice a bright. They are going to be even worse.

The majority of people must not notice or care about the issues and are just happy to have a shinny silver tv that's thin and bright. I'm about ready to start loosing screws and wiping the screen with a micro fiber. After 5 TVs in 3 months my wife is down right sick and exhausted, if I return this TV she will loose it. I was so excited about the specs on this TV but having of never owned an edge lit I had no idea what I was getting into.
goksucats likes this.

Current gear: UN65JS8500 (Main TV), M40-C2(Guestroom TV), I1D3(Using HCFR)
Retired: TH-50PX80U, M55-C2 (Returned)
Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(3x Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
post #14896 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeUout View Post
Have you tired this?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...isclaimer.html

I honestly feel the same way as you. The issues this TV has with clouding and light bleed are annoying and seem to grow more noticeable the longer you have the set. I too can't afford a 2016 till probably late next year and spending 2000 dollars on a TV is a lot. I cant believe people spent 2500 or more on this TV. I'm mystified that Samsung will sell edge sets in 2016 that are twice a bright. They are going to be even worse.

The majority of people must not notice or care about the issues and are just happy to have a shinny silver tv that's thin and bright. I'm about ready to start loosing screws and wiping the screen with a micro fiber. After 5 TVs in 3 months my wife is down right sick and exhausted, if I return this TV she will loose it. I was so excited about the specs on this TV but having of never owned an edge lit I had no idea what I was getting into.
I hear you. I hate to start tapping the screen like that because right now I have zero flashlighting, and I'm thankful for that. I'd like to keep it that way. Tapping/massaging the screen makes me nervous.
goksucats likes this.
post #14897 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 12:52 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
I'm not sure I like this automatic metadata stuff. How are we supposed to get a calibrated picture if this stuff keeps getting changed?

Unfortunately, nobody is currently calibrating for HDR content. (But they are working on it.)

According to Stacey Spears (co-author of the "Spears & Munsil" calibration DVD), HDR content completely throws-off calibration settings.

As of right now, you just need to calibrate for non-HDR content and just let the HDR metadata do its thing.

For more on HDR calibration, see THIS THREAD.

Richard
Daryl L likes this.

Last edited by King Richard; 02-12-2016 at 02:33 AM.
post #14898 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone know if the 48" will be going on sale for Presidents' Day? Looking to get one for my bedroom but the 55" won't fit. Need to get it from Amazon for financing but it feels bad buying it for the same price as the 55".
post #14899 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
I hear you. I hate to start tapping the screen like that because right now I have zero flashlighting, and I'm thankful for that. I'd like to keep it that way. Tapping/massaging the screen makes me nervous.
Before I message my screen I'm going to loosen screws. Probably not going to do anything but it worth trying.

Current gear: UN65JS8500 (Main TV), M40-C2(Guestroom TV), I1D3(Using HCFR)
Retired: TH-50PX80U, M55-C2 (Returned)
Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(3x Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
post #14900 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 249
JS850D bezel color

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedolap View Post

Thanks.
I don't know whether the JS850D's dark gray bezel and medium gray stand is similar to, or identical to, the JS7000's or JS9000's, but here's a few links to photos of the JS850D to help you make that color determination:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post41239113

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post39473074

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Kf2H-0YVmM...dtv-costco.jpg
post #14901 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 01:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Screw it, I bought the 48" as well. I can always price match it if it drops within 30 days.
property33 and blasterr like this.
post #14902 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello guys and girls,
I have the european version of this TV (UE55JS8005TXXE) and I have a small issue that perhaps someone of you have any more information on. When I stream high resolution content (4k) from the youtube and Netflix apps I have some sound coming from the back of my TV (where the connections goes). It's like from a sound of a hard drive reading. Like a disc drive from a computer. It's a buzzing uneven sound when the data is fetched to the tv from the one-connect box.

I had a Samsung technician over that couldn't hear it himself (he had quite bad hearing he said), but I hear it especially when it's quiet scenes in the video, it's not a high sound but it's still noise that I think shouldn't be there. Can anyone confirm any of this? Do you also have this issues with your sets? The technician switched out the electric board but it was no difference. I think that there is some hard drive in the motherboard that fetches all the data before it processes and when it's a big chunk of data for higher streams the sound can be heard. But I haven't read about this issue from somewhere so that's why I create a post about it.

The technician said that they could get my tv to the workshop for more testing but if it's something that is for all tv sets I don't want to bother. The panel bleeding etc. is almost slim to none so I want to keep the TV because I have no other issues than this.
post #14903 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 02:39 AM

Noise from the back of the tv when buffering 4k

Hello guys and girls,
I have the european version of this TV (UE55JS8005TXXE) and I have a small issue that perhaps someone of you have any more information on. When I stream high resolution content (4k) from the youtube and Netflix apps I have some sound coming from the back of my TV (where the connections goes). It's like from a sound of a hard drive reading. Like a disc drive from a computer. It's a buzzing uneven sound when the data is fetched to the tv from the one-connect box.

I had a Samsung technician over that couldn't hear it himself (he had quite bad hearing he said), but I hear it especially when it's quiet scenes in the video, it's not a high sound but it's still noise that I think shouldn't be there. Can anyone confirm any of this? Do you also have this issues with your sets? The technician switched out the electric board but it was no difference. I think that there is some hard drive in the motherboard that fetches all the data before it processes and when it's a big chunk of data for higher streams the sound can be heard. But I haven't read about this issue from somewhere so that's why I create a post about it.

The technician said that they could get my tv to the workshop for more testing but if it's something that is for all tv sets I don't want to bother. The panel bleeding etc. is almost slim to none so I want to keep the TV because I have no other issues than this.
post #14904 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 02:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansar View Post
Hello guys and girls,

I had this sound on my 50C8000 and disabling the tv speakers got rid of it. Maybe that would work for you?
post #14905 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 03:12 AM

Quote:
I had this sound on my 50C8000 and disabling the tv speakers got rid of it. Maybe that would work for you?
How do I disable the TV-speakers? If I mute my speakers it does nothing to this sound. It's not coming from the speakers so to say. But maybe there is another setting?
post #14906 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansar View Post
How do I disable the TV-speakers? If I mute my speakers it does nothing to this sound. It's not coming from the speakers so to say. But maybe there is another setting?
There is! Read the manual
post #14907 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
If you're plugging a Uhd Blu-ray player into this set, you should set that particular input to the HDMI UHD Color mode from the picture menu setting.

Unfortunately, if you are using a receiver as an HDMI switcher and audio decoder, this will become a global video setting.
I will be getting the new Samsung 4K BluRay player soon. I also will be using my Onkyo 646 Receiver for the HDMI switching. Are there any others settings I should change once I connect it all up. I heard about the HDMI UHD Color mode setting on the Samsung JS8500 but also read some negatives on this on posts on the AVS Forum on the Samsung 4K player itself. So now I am confused. Help.
post #14908 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRK View Post
There is! Read the manual
I have checked the manual, thank you

I can only see that you can select other outputs, like the AVR connected to the TV. That does nothing to this sound btw.
post #14909 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I'm considering the 65 inch version of this set. Is this fully HDR compliant? Or will the 2016 sets offer greater comparability. It's very difficult to find information on this stuff since it is so new and up in the air.

I can't find much info on 2016 sets either. Anything that is worth holding out for?
post #14910 of 24077 Old 02-12-2016, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
you need to search through this thread. been answered many times, in general. Lots of info on it.
Yeah I plan on reading through this whole thread when I have some time. I'm sure there's more questions I will have that will need answering.

Still, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thanks.
property33 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page