**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 508 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9816Likes

post #15211 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnneB View Post
Ok last one I promise! In this pic I see backlight bleed in both upper corners. Anyone else? Should I exchange this for another tv and risk a worse panel? I'm afraid I'm just going to get another January 2016 manufacturing date with the same issues. I knew I should have bought this Black Friday! Darn it.

Don't be too harsh just yet, what content are you feeding the TV for the pictures you've taken & what settings are you using?

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15212 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
good call and you're not being too critical since it's definitely not normal (65" version of this set has been going through some rough patches for the last 4 months or so but "good" sets do exist).

just to make sure, what are your Backlight, Brightness, Black Tone and Smart LED settings? and what are the sources?
These pics were from streaming Netflix and Tv settings are in Movie Mode, backlight up to 20, brightness at 45, black tone off, dynamic contrast off, color tone is Warm 1.
post #15213 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
These pics were from streaming Netflix and Tv settings are in Movie Mode, backlight up to 20, brightness at 45, black tone off, dynamic contrast off, color tone is Warm 1.

Why is your backlight up at 20? It should be around 9-10.
TheCrow1994 and the5rivers like this.

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15214 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_avs View Post
Don't be too harsh just yet, what content are you feeding the TV for the pictures you've taken & what settings are you using?
These pics were streaming Netflix and Tv setting are in Movie Mode, backlight up to 20, brightness at 45, black tone off, dynamic contrast off, color tone Warm 1.
post #15215 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
since i'm in an uphill battle with new 65" owners here, I'll juts post a general advice.

if you dial in settings from the first page and still seeing similar "blue glow" posted above - exchange or return. this is definitely not normal and far from how this unit should perform. this is a defect and it's not related to "LCD technology".
post #15216 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
try the settings from the first page in this thread with the same content and report back.
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.
post #15217 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_avs View Post
Why is your backlight up at 20? It should be around 9-10.
I turned it up because the colors were so dull and gray looking. There was no life to the picture it seemed. I had to turn down my Sony XBR4 so much to lessen the lighting I finally wanted to enjoy a bright picture. I guess that didn't work. I did turn it down and will try the settings on the first page on same content and report back.
post #15218 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
try the settings from the first page in this thread with the same content and report back.
I will try that and report back. Thanks!
post #15219 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I turned it up because the colors were so dull and gray looking. There was no life to the picture it seemed. I had to turn down my Sony XBR4 so much to lessen the lighting I finally wanted to enjoy a bright picture. I guess that didn't work. I did turn it down and will try the settings on the first page on same content and report back.

Use the Standard Settings from either prme19 or denpom & dial in the colour space & white balance from prme19 with Cable/Streaming. Use the Movie Settings for Blu-Ray.
Let us know if that improves the picture.
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.

post #15220 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Ok last one I promise! In this pic I see backlight bleed in both upper corners. Anyone else? Should I exchange this for another tv and risk a worse panel? I'm afraid I'm just going to get another January 2016 manufacturing date with the same issues. I knew I should have bought this Black Friday! Darn it.
That's not normal. I have a recently produced panel and I've never seen anything like that.

Do you still see it if you use these settings? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post39373410 If so, I think you might have to bite the bullet and return the TV. If there's anything you can be happy about it's that you bought it from a good dealer that accepts returns.

"No one can have an idea once he really starts listening" - John Cage
post #15221 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here are my results & settings with this set & the Samsung UHD bluray player:

I am finding the best settings is this: For the player I notice that BD wise is the best resolution, this is because it will play regular bd's at 1080p 24f & allows my TV to do the upscale. Once the film starts (1080p BDs) I then switch the TV to movie mode using denpoms bluray settings for this TV. I have UHD HDMI on the TV set to off.

Player: DC off

With this current settings I am absolutely blown away by the 1080p blu's I have watched Tangled & POTC as well as tested many others & it is the best any of these have looked.

For UHD HDR I have it set to the same movie setting prior to disc start which then adjusts for HDR automatically. I only have The Martian which is a basic color film and although it looked great I feel it can look better. I will continue to play with the UHD disc settings until I am satisfied but for now the quality I'm getting from the 1080p discs on this player has me shocked.

Last edited by DViper2399; 02-15-2016 at 08:52 PM.
post #15222 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
doesn't your eyes hurt when you watch that bright tv?
post #15223 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Here is a pic of the left side blue bleed. I appreciate any input as my husband thinks I am being too critical.

Thanks Jo Anne
Quote:
Here is another pic of the left side blue bleed. Once again. I appreciate any input you can share. Do you see any blue bleed? Shouldn't the panel be all black there?
Quote:
Does anyone else see a "ghosting" on the left side? Am I being too critical? I wish the picture quality could have been better. I took them after my husband went to bed. He hates me talking about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
Looks to me like the bright white text was causing the blacks to in-dim.

Denpom this is exactly what I was talking about.

That is not the "blue bleed" that is noted to be in corners. These pics looks like clouding to me, as it is on dark content and with such a high backlight is making it worse. None of that looks blue to me at all. I also had this problem with my first set which I ended up exchanging. This is a panel uniformity issue i.e clouding.

It's already been posted, but try the settings from the first page, either prme19's or denpom's and see if it fixes the issue.
TheCrow1994 likes this.
post #15224 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Ok I followed all the settings on the first page and streamed the same movies from Netflix again. Here are some pics with the settings from the first page. Please help me decide. My husband is sick of me talking about this and I'm on my own if I am returning it. Here is pic #1. I still see blue bleed on the left side. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firstpagesettings.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	1256641  
post #15225 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2119 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Two questions:

1) anyone use a bias light with the 65in tv? Which did you get?

2) are the 65in problems mainly with 8500 silver version or have people with the 850d gunmetal version have problems as well?

3) Are dead pixels upon opening common on this set? I'm fighting this battle with Sony x850c.

I'm looking at the gunmetal version. Thanks
post #15226 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Ok I followed all the settings on the first page and streamed the same movies from Netflix again. Here are some pics with the settings from the first page. Please help me decide. My husband is sick of me talking about this and I'm on my own if I am returning it. Here is pic #1. I still see blue bleed on the left side. What do you think?
Please go to you tube and run this video:

How to test for clouding:

Go to around 18 seconds, where it says "clouding test." Don't pause the video, make sure the graphic elements on screen are in focus, try to be almost in the middle or at slight angle at least.

First, take pictures with Smart LED Off, Cinema Black Off, Backlight 10, Brightness 45, Contrast 90, Black Tone and Dynamic Contrast Off.

Then with same settings but Smart LED on Standard and High.

(taken from a previous post by denpom)
post #15227 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:35 PM

Here are more pics. The one shows so much white clouding all over. The other shows left and right blue bleed lessened by the first page settings but still there. Keep or return?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firstpagesetings3.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	1256657   Click image for larger version

Name:	firstpagesettings5.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	1256665  
post #15228 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you got a Blu-Ray disc that you can try?

post #15229 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Here are more pics. The one shows so much white clouding all over. The other shows left and right blue bleed lessened by the first page settings but still there. Keep or return?
Honestly, after looking at all your pics again, this is a panel issue. I see extensive clouding on the left and right. I would return and get a replacement because you are seeing it during normal content.

I assume you already tried the settings from the first page and are still seeing clouding during normal content.
post #15230 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Lightbulb

Quote:
I will try that and report back. Thanks!
I believe what you are seeing is not a light bleed. You are torturing the poor 8500 with back light on 20. I am so curious to know the rest of your settings such as brightness, contrast and Dynamic contrast.

Like others suggested try the settings from the first page i am sure your over exposed images with those Torch Lights should disappear.

On a side note: I bought my 65js8500 from BB as well. JAN16 build. I don't have any serious issues with the TV except with the stupid remote. I am working on getting my TV sensor looked at.
TheCrow1994, denpom and the5rivers like this.
post #15231 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
One-Connect Mini shuts down my new TV

Just got my Costco UN65JS850D today and it has a major problem. With the OneConnect Mini plugged in, the screen would stay dark. If I disconnected it, the screen would turn on and start the setup process. I was on the phone with Samsung for an hour to see if I was missing anything but they could not figure out what was wrong. Finally, they said that they would send me out a new One-Connect Mini box. So basically, I have a big doorstop for 5 days until I get the new box. Of course, that may not be the problem; there might be a problem with the jack itself on the TV or something else. That's a problem with funneling all connections through 1 plug. Has anyone seen this issue before? Do I have any alternatives? Should I try to get a repairman here or is that difficult to do? I didn't send it back since Costco is out of stock and I don't know whether they will be getting more.

As far as the usual suspects, no problems with the bezels but I seem to see some flashlighting at the lower corners. I have only seen some of the setup screens so far when I unplugged the box. And I definitely prefer the darker color for my den.
post #15232 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedolap View Post
Just got my Costco UN65JS850D today and it has a major problem. With the OneConnect Mini plugged in, the screen would stay dark. If I disconnected it, the screen would turn on and start the setup process. I was on the phone with Samsung for an hour to see if I was missing anything but they could not figure out what was wrong. Finally, they said that they would send me out a new One-Connect Mini box. So basically, I have a big doorstop for 5 days until I get the new box. Of course, that may not be the problem; there might be a problem with the jack itself on the TV or something else. Has anyone seen this issue before? Do I have any alternatives? Should I try to get a repairman here or is that difficult to do? That's a problem with funneling all connections through 1 plug.

As far as the usual suspects, no problems with the bezels but I seem to see some flashlighting at the lower corners. I have only seen some of the setup screens so far when I unplugged the box. And I definitely prefer the darker color for my den.
This might be obvious advice, but make sure the end of the OCB box wire is connected firmly to the tv. Maybe you already double checked that, but I know when I first set up my tv, my connection was a tad loose and i was having issues with the picture going in and out. Just something to look at it.
post #15233 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterr View Post
I believe what you are seeing is not a light bleed. You are torturing the poor 8500 with back light on 20. I am so curious to know the rest of your settings such as brightness, contrast and Dynamic contrast.

Like others suggested try the settings from the first page i am sure your over exposed images with those Torch Lights should disappear.

On a side note: I bought my 65js8500 from BB as well. JAN16 build. I don't have any serious issues with the TV except with the stupid remote. I am working on getting my TV sensor looked at.
I did go back and change my settings to the ones on the first page of this thread and posted new pics above. I still believe I am seeing clouding. Please look at those new pics and see what you think. I appreciate any advice.
post #15234 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Two questions:

1) anyone use a bias light with the 65in tv? Which did you get?

2) are the 65in problems mainly with 8500 silver version or have people with the 850d gunmetal version have problems as well?

3) Are dead pixels upon opening common on this set? I'm fighting this battle with Sony x850c.

I'm looking at the gunmetal version. Thanks

Thats three questions actually

1. Yes, antec has been suggested my many users, I own it as well and it has worked perfect. A few other brands have been mentioned, but this is what I and others have.
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Lighting.../dp/B007TG5EG8

2. Color has no bearing on whether set has issues. Right now, the 65 inch is the one with problems (blue bleed in corners, bent corners, panel bubbling). Luck of the draw.

3. No dead pixels on my set or majority of others. Maybe one or two owners reported having one dead pixel, but pretty rare with this set.

Good luck. Silver or gunmetal will be fine.
post #15235 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I did go back and change my settings to the ones on the first page of this thread and posted new pics above. I still believe I am seeing clouding. Please look at those new pics and see what you think. I appreciate any advice.

Have you got any 4K Demo's you can put on a USB stick?
Play a Blu-Ray Disc, preferably GRAVITY, that is now my go to Disc & if you are seeing the same issues with this content, then you have a panel issue, if not, it's a content issue.
the5rivers likes this.

post #15236 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by the5rivers View Post
That is not the "blue bleed" that is noted to be in corners. These pics looks like clouding to me, as it is on dark content and with such a high backlight is making it worse. None of that looks blue to me at all. I also had this problem with my first set which I ended up exchanging. This is a panel uniformity issue i.e clouding.

It's already been posted, but try the settings from the first page, either prme19's or denpom's and see if it fixes the issue.
I wasn't talking about the blue corners I was talking about how blacks glow blue like this for some people on certain scenes. .
post #15237 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the blue corners I was talking about how blacks glow blue like this for some people on certain scenes. .
It doesn't look blue to me, thats all I was saying. And just trying to make the distinction so people do not get confused.

The pictures that have been posted by that member look like clouding to me, and a bad panel unfortunately.
post #15238 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by the5rivers View Post
Honestly, after looking at all your pics again, this is a panel issue. I see extensive clouding on the left and right. I would return and get a replacement because you are seeing it during normal content.

I assume you already tried the settings from the first page and are still seeing clouding during normal content.
I get the same thing when viewing content but on a black screen with local dimming off I don't have it. If there is however something bright on the screen with the black this happens. I just thought this was how the tv was supposed to be but I guess not.
post #15239 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Ok, if you have tried the settings on the first page and it didn't help, just give clouding test a shot posted by 5rivers and confirm it is clouding.

In that case you should exchange it.
post #15240 of 24077 Old 02-15-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I get the same thing when viewing content but on a black screen with local dimming off I don't have it. If there is however something bright on the screen with the black this happens. I just thought this was how the tv was supposed to be but I guess not.
You see clouding when watching content? With the settings mentioned in the first post of the thread? Sorry I was confused by what you wrote in the first sentence.

If you see clouding with smart led on during normal content on darker/black screens, then you may or may not have an issue (it all depends on how severe the clouding is to your eye, etc). There is some level of clouding with smart led off on an all black screen, as this is just a byproduct of the tech, but it should dissipate when turning on smart led along with the other settings mentioned.
blasterr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page