**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 509 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9808Likes

post #15241 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by the5rivers View Post
This might be obvious advice, but make sure the end of the OCB box wire is connected firmly to the tv. Maybe you already double checked that, but I know when I first set up my tv, my connection was a tad loose and i was having issues with the picture going in and out. Just something to look at it.
Thanks. I tried connecting and disconnecting multiple times to no avail. So I think that is not the problem.
the5rivers likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15242 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedolap View Post
Just got my Costco UN65JS850D today and it has a major problem. With the OneConnect Mini plugged in, the screen would stay dark. If I disconnected it, the screen would turn on and start the setup process. I was on the phone with Samsung for an hour to see if I was missing anything but they could not figure out what was wrong. Finally, they said that they would send me out a new One-Connect Mini box. So basically, I have a big doorstop for 5 days until I get the new box. Of course, that may not be the problem; there might be a problem with the jack itself on the TV or something else. That's a problem with funneling all connections through 1 plug. Has anyone seen this issue before? Do I have any alternatives? Should I try to get a repairman here or is that difficult to do? I didn't send it back since Costco is out of stock and I don't know whether they will be getting more.

As far as the usual suspects, no problems with the bezels but I seem to see some flashlighting at the lower corners. I have only seen some of the setup screens so far when I unplugged the box. And I definitely prefer the darker color for my den.
I remember either on Amazon or BB reviews someone else had this issue. So you are not the only one.
the5rivers likes this.
post #15243 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
You see clouding when watching content? With the settings mentioned in the first post of the thread? Sorry I was confused by what you wrote in the first sentence.

If you see clouding with smart led on during normal content on darker/black screens, then you may or may not have an issue (it all depends on how severe the clouding is to your eye, etc). There is some level of clouding with smart led off on an all black screen, as this is just a byproduct of the tech, but it should dissipate when turning on smart led along with the other settings mentioned.
Yes when viewing content. If I look at a perfectly black screen with smart led off then this issue is not there, just some very, very minor clouding. It only happens if there's something black and something bright on the screen at the same time. My settings are the cnet settings (9 backlight, 92 contrast, 45 brightness, 50 color, warm 2) I also tweaked the 10p white balance a bit to get the gray scale looking as gray as possible and I have smart led on high because standard causes the bottom part of letterbox to light up all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15244 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
Yes when viewing content. If I look at a perfectly black screen with smart led off then this issue is not there. It only happens if there's something black and something bright on the screen at the same time. My settings are the cnet settings (9 backlight, 92 contrast, 45 brightness, 50 color, warm 2) I also tweaked the 10p white balance a bit to get the gray scale looking as gray as possible and I have smart led on high because standard causes the bottom part of letterbox to light up all the time.
Wow so you have no clouding on a black screen with smart led off? Thats a first I think! That should be good though because I would assume you would have no clouding with smart led on either. I definitely have clouding on a black screen with smart led off, not extreme but something that I can see if I really look for it.

Try out prme19 or denpom settings. Use movie mode (personal preference), and set cinema black to ON with smart led to high (which you already have) to get rid of the flashing during letterboxed material.

Also, try that clouding video I posted, and see if you have any clouding while going through the different settings.
blasterr likes this.
post #15245 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:13 PM

So guys eagle_2 is no longer among us ??? It amazes me though that the guy had close to 3200 posts and yet he snapped?
mc_avs likes this.
post #15246 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow so you have no clouding on a black screen with smart led off? Thats a first I think! That should be good though because I would assume you would have no clouding with smart led on either. I definitely have clouding on a black screen with smart led off, not extreme but something that I can see if I really look for it.

Try out prme19 or denpom settings. Use movie mode (personal preference), and set cinema black to ON with smart led to high (which you already have) to get rid of the flashing during letterboxed material.

Also, try that clouding video I posted, and see if you have any clouding while going through the different settings.
I do have clouding on a black screen with smart led off I just said it's very, very minor. It is there though. I've tried prme19 and denpoms settings and the glow was still there but I didn't like how bright the contrast was in denpoms and prme19s had a strong red push to it. CNETs looked far better and didn't sear my eyeballs either. I did however take prme19s yellow cms setting. Also I forgot to mention that I do have cinema black on when I get the letterbox flashing with smart led on standard. This along with my gray uniformity issue are why my replacement set is coming in 2 weeks. I really hope the reason Best Buy is sold out is that they're getting a new batch in that isn't totally wrecked.
post #15247 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterr View Post
So guys eagle_2 is no longer among us ??? It amazes me though that the guy had close to 3200 posts and yet he snapped?
Yeah I am assuming he got banned. Or maybe a temp ban because his account is still on AVS but doesn't have a member affiliation anymore.

It is sad what happened, as no one should ever lash out the way he did. But some people just can't take constructive criticism or have a healthy exchange with others on the internet. He was a keyboard warrior I guess.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.....
TheCrow1994, blasterr and mc_avs like this.
post #15248 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
I do have clouding on a black screen with smart led I just said it's very, very minor. It is there though. I've tried prme19 and denpoms settings and the glow was still there but I didn't like how bright the contrast was in denpoms and prme19s had a strong red push to it. CNETs looked far better and didn't sear my eyeballs either. I did however take prme19s yellow cms setting. Also I forgot to mention that I do have cinema black on when I get the letterbox flashing with smart led on standard. This along with my gray uniformity issue are why my replacement set is coming in 2 weeks. I really hope the reason Best Buy is sold out is that they're getting a new batch in that isn't totally wrecked.
Ah crap, maybe I should have reviewed your posts. A lot has happened in the past few days lol. Sorry about that man.

Well, forget everything I said then and good luck on the next set! Glad you were able to exchange it. I hope it ends up being better than what you had.
denpom likes this.
post #15249 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ive had my JS8500 for a couple of weeks now. This thread has been really helpful.
Here is the rundown on my set.

Corner Blue Bleed: Cant see any sitting directly in front of the tv. However, standing to the right of the tv and looking into the bottom left corner, I can barely see some blue.

Bent Bezel: The bottom left corner has a slight bend in the bottom, similar to previous pics in this thread.

Clouding: Very minimal clouding. I am happy with it. I can barely see any.

ARC: Here is my experience with ARC.
Turn on Xbox One->TV, Denon AVR-591, and Genie all turn on.
Denon starts out on Xbox One input for about 10 seconds, then TV changes the Denon over to the TV input. Im not sure why it wants to take over at this point. I wish it wouldn't do this.
So then I have to push the source button and change the source on the tv over to TV, and then change the source back to HDMI4 on the tv. This will now change the Denon back to the Xbox One input. From this point forward, if I want to use ARC for youtube or Netflix, I have to change the tv source over to TV, which is fine. Then changing the source back to HDMI4 on the tv will change the Denon back to the Xbox one.

Im using denpoms settings and the tv looks great.

I was nervous going from plasma but this tv performs really close, if not better, in some areas.
post #15250 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroot View Post
Ive had my JS8500 for a couple of weeks now. This thread has been really helpful.
Here is the rundown on my set.

Corner Blue Bleed: Cant see any sitting directly in front of the tv. However, standing to the right of the tv and looking into the bottom left corner, I can barely see some blue.

Bent Bezel: The bottom left corner has a slight bend in the bottom, similar to previous pics in this thread.

Clouding: Very minimal clouding. I am happy with it. I can barely see any.

ARC: Here is my experience with ARC.
Turn on Xbox One->TV, Denon AVR-591, and Genie all turn on.
Denon starts out on Xbox One input for about 10 seconds, then TV changes the Denon over to the TV input. Im not sure why it wants to take over at this point. I wish it wouldn't do this.
So then I have to push the source button and change the source on the tv over to TV, and then change the source back to HDMI4 on the tv. This will now change the Denon back to the Xbox One input. From this point forward, if I want to use ARC for youtube or Netflix, I have to change the tv source over to TV, which is fine. Then changing the source back to HDMI4 on the tv will change the Denon back to the Xbox one.

Im using denpoms settings and the tv looks great.

I was nervous going from plasma but this tv performs really close, if not better, in some areas.
Glad to see your issues are minimal and not affecting your viewing experience. I also went from a sammy plasma to this set, and other than my first set having extreme clouding, I am pretty happy with replacement set. PQ is amazing.

As for the ARC issue, that is a common problem that has been noted numerous times. It just happens with samsung sets for some reason. Maybe someone else can chime in to say if it happens on other brands too.

Mine is like this: I turn on tv using either sammy remote or dish remote, TV/AVR turns on. Then AVR switches to AV4 because of ARC, and if I want to switch to say ps4 I have to change the input on my AVR to PS4. But if I turn my dish box on, thankfully my AVR auto switches to the DISH input. I do occasionally have some issues with it randomly switching to AV4 while I am watching something else, but like i said i just think its due to how the samsung ARC works.
bigroot likes this.
post #15251 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah crap, maybe I should have reviewed your posts. A lot has happened in the past few days lol. Sorry about that man.

Well, forget everything I said then and good luck on the next set! Glad you were able to exchange it. I hope it ends up being better than what you had.
Well at least I know now that the glowing blacks shouldn't be happening so I know if something's wrong in the next set. I just thought this was how edge lit local dimming lcds were. I figured it was a limitation.
post #15252 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just connected my JS8500; however, my remote does not work. Only the power button on my remote works. Anyone else have this issue?
post #15253 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiPlaneteer View Post
I just connected my JS8500; however, my remote does not work. Only the power button on my remote works. Anyone else have this issue?
Try repairing the remote:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/an...control_remote
post #15254 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiPlaneteer View Post
re-pair the remote. press and hold Return/Exit and Extra buttons until the Bluetooth icon appears on the screen, release the buttons.
MatiPlaneteer and green666 like this.
post #15255 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Ok, if you have tried the settings on the first page and it didn't help, just give clouding test a shot posted by 5rivers and confirm it is clouding.

In that case you should exchange it.
Ok. I went back and did the clouding test on YouTube. Here are pics of my tv with Smart LED off. I also had the settings from the first page with Cinema Black Off, Backlight 10, Brightness 45, Contrast 90, Black Tone and Dynamic Contrast Off. Looks like a lot of clouding. Normal? Good thing or bad?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smartLEDoff.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1256953   Click image for larger version

Name:	smartLEDoff2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1256961  
post #15256 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Ok, if you have tried the settings on the first page and it didn't help, just give clouding test a shot posted by 5rivers and confirm it is clouding.

Here are the pics from the YouTube Clouding Test with Smart LED Standard and Cinema Black Off, Backlight 10, Brightness 45, Contrast 90, Black Tone and Dynamic Contrast Off. Clouding improved right?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	smartLEDstandard.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1256969   Click image for larger version

Name:	smartLEDstandard2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1256977  
post #15257 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnneB View Post
Ok. I went back and did the clouding test on YouTube. Here are pics of my tv with Smart LED off. I also had the settings from the first page with Cinema Black Off, Backlight 10, Brightness 45, Contrast 90, Black Tone and Dynamic Contrast Off. Looks like a lot of clouding. Normal? Good thing or bad?
Now try the test again with smart led on standard/high and see if it makes a difference. Some level of clouding is to be expected on these sets, especially with smart led set to off.
post #15258 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:

Here are pics of my tv using the YouTube Clouding Test with Smart LED on High and Cinema Black Off, Backlight 10, Brightness 45, Contrast 90, Black Tone and Dynamic Contrast Off. Looks like it really improved the clouding. Do you agree? Does it look normal? Seem like a good or bad panel?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	smartLEDhigh.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1256985   Click image for larger version

Name:	smartLEDhigh2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1256993  
the5rivers likes this.
post #15259 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_avs View Post
Have you got any 4K Demo's you can put on a USB stick?
Play a Blu-Ray Disc, preferably GRAVITY, that is now my go to Disc & if you are seeing the same issues with this content, then you have a panel issue, if not, it's a content issue.
I'll have to try tomorrow night. My husband is sick of me testing out the tv and wanted to watch X-Files. I will put a Blu-Ray in and check it out though. Thanks for the suggestion I appreciate it!
mc_avs likes this.
post #15260 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Here are the pics from the YouTube Clouding Test with Smart LED Standard and Cinema Black Off, Backlight 10, Brightness 45, Contrast 90, Black Tone and Dynamic Contrast Off. Clouding improved right?

Yes it has improved.
Try some decent content as well. Content plays a huge role in PQ & what the TV can produce from that source.

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
post #15261 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Here are pics of my tv using the YouTube Clouding Test with Smart LED on High and Cinema Black Off, Backlight 10, Brightness 45, Contrast 90, Black Tone and Dynamic Contrast Off. Looks like it really improved the clouding. Do you agree? Does it look normal? Seem like a good or bad panel?
Well, those pictures look much better than what you previously posted with smart led off. Most of the clouding has dissipated, although I do some clouding in the top left corner.

Now it's up to you on whether to return. Did you try to watch normal content with the settings you just posted here? See if that helps or not.

At least we are narrowing it down to clouding and the settings are helping to a certain extent. Try backlight of 8-10 too.
post #15262 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
re-pair the remote. press and hold Return/Exit and Extra buttons until the Bluetooth icon appears on the screen, release the buttons.

It worked. Thanks! Love you guys!
blasterr and denpom like this.
post #15263 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 08:46 PM

Arrow

Quote:
That is exactly what I suspected. Yes, with Smart LED on standard and High what you are seeing is excellent on a pitch black screen. Your clouding has disappeared dramatically and your normal viewing content should be quiet pleasing to you. Wait to hear from Denpom for a final verdict.

I believe your set is a keeper And stop bothering your husband now!
post #15264 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
That is exactly what I suspected. Yes, with Smart LED on standard and High what you are seeing is excellent on a pitch black screen. Your clouding has disappeared dramatically and your normal viewing content should be quiet pleasing to you. Wait to hear from Denpom for a final verdict.

I believe your set is a keeper And stop bothering your husband now!
Lol blasterr! Yes the clouding has significantly improved and my husband is glad now that I'm a lot more settled about the picture quality of this panel. Thank you for all your help. He thanks you all too
post #15265 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 35
My set arrives on Wednesday! Looking for advice though, if I have any issues should I contact the reseller (Buydig) or go straight to Samsung? My hope is that it won't be necessary.
post #15266 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Well, those pictures look much better than what you previously posted with smart led off. Most of the clouding has dissipated, although I do some clouding in the top left corner.

Now it's up to you on whether to return. Did you try to watch normal content with the settings you just posted here? See if that helps or not.

At least we are narrowing it down to clouding and the settings are helping to a certain extent. Try backlight of 8-10 too.
the5rivers,

Picture quality has greatly improved on regular content and Netflix streaming. I also put a Blu-ray in and it looked great. I think we are going to keep this tv. Thanks for all your help! You guys on here are the best!
post #15267 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
try the settings from the first page in this thread with the same content and report back.
Hopefully you agree after looking at my pics with the first page settings and the clouding tests that I should keep the tv. I look forward to hearing your opinion. The settings from the first page seemed to decrease all the clouding that I was seeing. I am so grateful for you posting those and helping me so much. I was becoming OCD about it and having major anxiety. My husband thanks you too
post #15268 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
I am so grateful for you posting those and helping me so much. I was becoming OCD about it and having major anxiety. My husband thanks you too
no problem, anytime.

yes, definitely looks much better. like suggested above, try different content and see how it performs down the line. also, since the TV is brand new, there might be a small "break-in" period and the glowing/clouding that you see will improve further. i would also suggest to wipe the screen with a fiber cloth when it's off in circular motions without pressing too hard. all that is mostly placebo but DO help sometimes. give it few days and let us know.
blasterr, the5rivers and mc_avs like this.
post #15269 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Panel question

Sorry for asking this again but please take it as my anxiety. Do I need to be worried about panel lottery if I order a 55JS8500 from an online store (not a bogus store but someone in the industry for quite a while)? Or do all JS8500 (since being an SUHD premium line) come with a good panel? I am saving for my new TV for a quite a while and want it to be foolproof. Sorry again.
post #15270 of 24071 Old 02-15-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDreamer View Post
Sorry for asking this again but please take it as my anxiety. Do I need to be worried about panel lottery if I order a 55JS8500 from an online store (not a bogus store but someone in the industry for quite a while)? Or do all JS8500 (since being an SUHD premium line) come with a good panel? I am saving for my new TV for a quite a while and want it to be foolproof. Sorry again.
Well there is no panel lottery per se. All of the sammys come with the TH01 panel, which is samsung made. In regards to the qc issues that have been noted in this thread, the 55 inch version has proven to be defect free for the most part compared to the 65 inch, which has the majority of the qc issues.

And my advice, always order from an authorized samsung retailer and one that has a good return/exchange policy.

SUHD is more a marketing term and not really relative to the actual panel itself. It is just a moniker.

Regardless, the js8500 is a great series, and you will not be disappointed once you settle on a size and get one that has little to no issues.
mc_avs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page