**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 510 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9789Likes

post #15271 of 24035 Old 02-15-2016, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by the5rivers View Post
Well there is no panel lottery per se. All of the sammys come with the TH01 panel, which is samsung made. In regards to the qc issues that have been noted in this thread, the 55 inch version has proven to be defect free for the most part compared to the 65 inch, which has the majority of the qc issues.

And my advice, always order from an authorized samsung retailer and one that has a good return/exchange policy.

SUHD is more a marketing term and not really relative to the actual panel itself. It is just a moniker.

Regardless, the js8500 is a great series, and you will not be disappointed once you settle on a size and get one that has little to no issues.
Thanks the5rivers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15272 of 24035 Old 02-15-2016, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDreamer View Post
Thanks the5rivers
No problem. If you have any more questions post them, or search the thread, there is a lot of valuable information on both the 55 and 65 inch version.
post #15273 of 24035 Old 02-15-2016, 09:33 PM

55js8500

Adorama has it on sale for $1497 and I think being it Adorama its a good price and great deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15274 of 24035 Old 02-15-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Adorama has it on sale for $1497 and I think being it Adorama its a good price and great deal.
Yeah Adorama is a great site, I have bought things from the before (not a tv), and the no tax for out of state purchases is great. But take into consideration the tv return policy:

Larger than 47" cannot be returned. In the unlikely event a TV is defective the warranty is to be handled thru the manufacturer. When your TV is delivered please inspect the TV for any obvious damage. A broken or damaged outer box is a first sign that your TV may have been damaged in transit. Open the box immediately and inspect your TV. If the TV is damaged, have the driver note it on the delivery document and contact us immediately to report the damage and file a claim.

Something to be aware of. If you have any issues other than damage on delivery, you will have to go through samsung and that has turned out to be pretty tedious based on experiences posted here.

The 55 inch is also the same price on amazon. And they have a 30 day price match policy and great exchange/return policy too.
JaytheDreamer likes this.
post #15275 of 24035 Old 02-15-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
The 55 inch is also the same price on amazon. And they have a 30 day price match policy and great exchange/return policy too.
I really didnt know that (Amazon had the same price)! I am a long time Amazon prime member and definitely I will go though Amazon. Thanks again 5rivers!
the5rivers likes this.
post #15276 of 24035 Old 02-15-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I really didnt know that (Amazon had the same price)! I am a long time Amazon prime member and definitely I will go though Amazon. Thanks again 5rivers!
Yeah this is the policy at amazon:

TV Low price guarantee: If you purchase an eligible TV and find it being sold at a lower price by a qualifying competitor within 30 days of your purchase, we will generally refund the price difference. This guarantee will not apply to limited time promotions or clearances.
post #15277 of 24035 Old 02-15-2016, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Costco online is best place to buy IMHO. 90 day return policy and an extra year of manufacturers warranty (2 years vs 1) It comes in gunmetal and not silver. You don't need to be a Costco member to buy online. If they have the TV in stock.
post #15278 of 24035 Old 02-15-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longballsd View Post
Costco online is best place to buy IMHO. 90 day return policy and an extra year of manufacturers warranty (2 years vs 1) It comes in gunmetal and not silver. You don't need to be a Costco member to buy online. If they have the TV in stock.
Thanks Longballsd, I was a member of Costco before but not anymore. But I am a frequent customer Amazon Prime. But anyway thanks for this info, I just checked and they have the same price. Only thing is the model number is shown as 850 instead of 8500. What is the difference?
post #15279 of 24035 Old 02-15-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks Longballsd, I was a member of Costco before but not anymore. But I am a frequent customer Amazon Prime. But anyway thanks for this info, I just checked and they have the same price. Only thing is the model number is shown as 850 instead of 8500. What is the difference?
Same tv, just different color (it is gunmetal instead of silver). The mode number is specifically for costco models of the js8500.
Longballsd likes this.
post #15280 of 24035 Old 02-15-2016, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroot View Post
Ive had my JS8500 for a couple of weeks now. This thread has been really helpful.
Here is the rundown on my set.

Corner Blue Bleed: Cant see any sitting directly in front of the tv. However, standing to the right of the tv and looking into the bottom left corner, I can barely see some blue.

Bent Bezel: The bottom left corner has a slight bend in the bottom, similar to previous pics in this thread.

Clouding: Very minimal clouding. I am happy with it. I can barely see any.

ARC: Here is my experience with ARC.
Turn on Xbox One->TV, Denon AVR-591, and Genie all turn on.
Denon starts out on Xbox One input for about 10 seconds, then TV changes the Denon over to the TV input. Im not sure why it wants to take over at this point. I wish it wouldn't do this.
So then I have to push the source button and change the source on the tv over to TV, and then change the source back to HDMI4 on the tv. This will now change the Denon back to the Xbox One input. From this point forward, if I want to use ARC for youtube or Netflix, I have to change the tv source over to TV, which is fine. Then changing the source back to HDMI4 on the tv will change the Denon back to the Xbox one.

Im using denpoms settings and the tv looks great.

I was nervous going from plasma but this tv performs really close, if not better, in some areas.
Search this thread for my post about arc and Samsung. I analyzed the hdmi4 command being sent by the TV. It's all Samsung. Every Samsung TV sends the command to switch the receiver to the tv/cd input, it whatever your receiver designates as the hdmi4 arc input. Not a single thing you can do about it.

At some point I I'll finish working on my solution using a raspberry pi and check sugar, but it will be a while.
bigroot likes this.
post #15281 of 24035 Old 02-15-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Same tv, just different color (it is gunmetal instead of silver). The mode number is specifically for costco models of the js8500.
Cool, I need few more days to get equipped with enough money in my wallet but added Costco as choice #1 and Amazon as #2. I expect other than the gunmetal (I prefer it to silver) everything is the same and I get the same TV with same panel. Really can't wait! I done all the upgrades to my HTPC (have comcast cable and HTPC which are the two main things I connect to this TV. New comcast HD cable box and a Dell precision with i7, GTX 950, upgraded EVGA PSU etc). I am not worried about sound since I am a two channel audio guy with a really good system. I expect this TV has an optical/coaxial or an RCA pair which I can connect to my DAC or amp if I ever need to get sound from TV when I stream direct (my PC and cable box are already hooked to my DAC).
mc_avs likes this.

Last edited by JaytheDreamer; 02-15-2016 at 10:31 PM.
post #15282 of 24035 Old 02-15-2016, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterr View Post
I remember either on Amazon or BB reviews someone else had this issue. So you are not the only one.

Thanks. The problem may be in the cable. Almost looks like one of the internal pins is missing. I'll get a new cable with the box.

I realized that the Ethernet connection was not on the One Connect Mini, so I was able to watch some "Man in the High Castle". Impressive, though definite clouding. However, I have not done any optimization yet other than changing to Movie Mode.
post #15283 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 247
JS850D bezel color

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
someone had posted 3 links to picture of darker 850d bezel. can't seem to find them...
That was me; here they are again:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post41484641
post #15284 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
just got 1443 update. haven't noticed anything new about it.
post #15285 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
just got 1443 update. haven't noticed anything new about it.
Another baby update. Smh
post #15286 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Hello all, I am a new member here though I follow AVSF always and got invaluable information from here. Finally decided to replace my good old Viera Plasma which is almost 7 years old now (though going strong). I might move it to my bedside and have the new TV in my main room. My room is not so big so I am almost fixed on 55". My choice at the moment is 55JS8500 since it got good reviews, almost future proof (at least for 5 years or so) and have capable hardware (10 bit panel, HDR ready, HDMI 2.0, Quantum dots, local dimming etc). I use my TV for both cable TV as well as with my HTPC (plus direct streaming of YT / Netflix etc with in-built app). It will not be used for games. Considering it it will be the primary screen of my HTPC i think 8500 make sense since it support 4K @ 60Hz with 4:4:4 chroma settings. It is a good time to buy this TV as the prices went down and can see it on many sites with attractive prices. My biggest concern is panel version as I heard Samsung does panel lottery. Do I need to be concerned about panel if I buy this TV from a good online store? Someone said since JS8500 series is a premium line all TV have TS01/TH0xx panels and never to worry. Is that true? Your advice is much appreciated.

Jay
I came from a Viera Plasma and am ambivalent with this TV. I wanted a big size jump, which it is. And I do love the size, and the smart TV features are very nice. I'm colorblind so the color accuracy I don't get too caught up with, but I do like the slightly more saturated color reproduction, which was a surprise to me. The black levels aren't as good, and it begins to lose contrast, and you can see what appears to be dramatically reduced black levels in particular very very quickly off-axis. So this TV was a very big trade-off. If I could do it again, and just keep the Plasma another couple years until OLED was more affordable and had it's issues ironed out, I'd probably just wait.
post #15287 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
Looks to me like the bright white text was causing the blacks to in-dim.

Denpom this is exactly what I was talking about.
This is precisely how my set performs. And the service center said it's a relative "weakness" of the technology and he couldn't really do anything about it and doesn't expect Samsung to either.
post #15288 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The led bias finally came in yesterday, thought I would share how it's coming along (they are bright, these pics are taken at 10pm, no other lights on). Ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018M...TF8&psc=1&th=1

The manufacturer separately sells a USB on/off toggle so that the TV turns it on or off automatically for another 10. Very happy with it all so far, just need to do some wire cleanup. And yes, I can still get into that closet, it's on a full motion mount
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160215_232304_1455635005552.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1257577   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160215_232240_1455635034307.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1257585  
JohnNY-C likes this.
post #15289 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It doesn't look blue to me, thats all I was saying. And just trying to make the distinction so people do not get confused.

The pictures that have been posted by that member look like clouding to me, and a bad panel unfortunately.
I appreciate this distinction. I've had difficulty ascertaining what was blue light bleeding, vs clouding. I can see now, that based on what you're stating, I'm having issues with clouding as my TV looks very much like hers. It's been so puzzling why the light comes in from the edges on mine, as it does hers when, my understanding is, the LED's on this TV are across the top and bottom ? Strange.
post #15290 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
Also I forgot to mention that I do have cinema black on when I get the letterbox flashing with smart led on standard. .
My TV performs the same as yours, with the same letterbox flashing, etc. It seems it gets easily confused by what else is going on the screen, and fluctuates fairly regularly. I guess I just don't know how to proceed. I'm outside what would be an expected return window for anybody. I've had it 3 months now. I've had one screen replaced, my first complaint to my dealer was about 5 weeks after I purchased the TV after the newness rubbed off and I started really viewing it critically. I purchased from a local mom and pop dealer, vs a big box store. I'm also nearly out of the energy to really care, and am half tempted to just call Samsung and say "fine.. you win. " There are other fish in the sea, and I'll know better then to purchase Samsung next time. I also did consider just selling this one, seeing what i can get out of it and just hanging my old Panasonic Plasma back up on the wall and biding my time until OLED becomes more mainstream.
post #15291 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Have the 55" JS8500 and have noticed a couple of times while watching content on the native Netflix app, that a few minutes after a show starts, I will see a "pop" in the picture and things seem to get a little brighter. Has any one else noticed this?
Would it be a function of the settings on the TV or more likely an "issue" with the streaming itself - like bandwidth suddenly picking up?
After that initial "pop", there's no change in the picture while watching the show/movie.
And I have not noticed it on any other sources (Prime streaming, BD, etc.).

Samsung 55" JS8500
7.1 Setup:
Onkyo TX-NR646, Chane A1.4 & A2.4 (LCR), Yamaha NS-IC600 surr, TDG Audio NFC-61 back surr, SVS SB-2000
Samsung K8500, Roku Premiere+ and Roku 2, Harmony 650
post #15292 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goksucats View Post
I appreciate this distinction. I've had difficulty ascertaining what was blue light bleeding, vs clouding. I can see now, that based on what you're stating, I'm having issues with clouding as my TV looks very much like hers. It's been so puzzling why the light comes in from the edges on mine, as it does hers when, my understanding is, the LED's on this TV are across the top and bottom ? Strange.
I'm fairly certain the LED's are on the sides on this panel, when I originally was shopping for it, the display in Best Buy was cranked up and you could easily tell the sides were brighter along the edge than anywhere else, also the local dimming is across the horizontal plane, to coincide with this.
post #15293 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is precisely how my set performs. And the service center said it's a relative "weakness" of the technology and he couldn't really do anything about it and doesn't expect Samsung to either.
your TV is most likely defective and doesn't represent the performance of this model. but you already saw my advice about it, i'm sure.
TheCrow1994 likes this.
post #15294 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
your TV is most likely defective and doesn't represent the performance of this model. but you already saw my advice about it, i'm sure.
While that might very well be true, people need to know that they need to handle it immediately with the dealer rather then wait because based on my experience, as well as in particular our friend on here who was referred to engineering, as you stated yourself, getting Samsung to take care of the issue is going to result in disappointment.
post #15295 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranda03 View Post
Hey Guys.... 2 questions... First I want to say that I have been loving this TV so far and thanks for the picture calibrations recommendations they look great!

I have my T.V mounted on my wall and apparently my wall isn't straight. There seems to be a dip in the middle of the wall which is effecting the distance the TV is on the mount from the wall from each side of the TV. So for instance I can fit my fingers underneath the left bottom corner of the TV fitting between the wall and the TV. On the bottom right side I cannot fit my fingers between the space of the wall and TV. So the TV looks slanted a little bit when mounted. I had a 46 " TV in this same spot but never noticed it since it was really far off the wall with an older mount and the TV was smaller so it didn't hit the effected space on the wall...

To quick fix this issue I put a hard piece of styrofoam material behind the bottom right of the TV so it pushes the TV out a little bit.... So my question is.... Can this be bad for the TV? Will it cause pixel problems down the road? The plastic on the back of the TV seems very secure and it doesnt seem to be in too much stress but figured i would ask you guys your opinion... Please see the attached photo:

Hey guys any opinions on this? Thanks in advance!
post #15296 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sranda03 View Post
Hey guys any opinions on this? Thanks in advance!
I assume you are doing that purely for aesthetics correct? If so, I would instead advise shimming the actual wall mount instead of the tv, that way the tv isn't at risk and it should fix your problem. As it is now, you are putting a constant pressure on 1 corner of the tv, now the tv may be able to handle that over time, but personally I wouldn't feel great about it.
post #15297 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 299
So my TV arrives from Amazon via Pilot Freight Services this Saturday. They're saying a two-man team will deliver it, remove it from the packaging, assemble the base, place the TV on my stand, and power it up.

Anyone have experience with Pilot Freight?

Anything I need to be SURE to do before they leave? I assume that I need to make sure there aren't any obvious defects in the panel or damage to the unit itself, but I also realize figuring out clouding, flashlighting, etc. will need to take some time.

What should be on my checklist for the delivery period? What should *I* do vs. letting them do?

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Oppo UDP-203 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #15298 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SmartHub Apps at 60fps?

Forgive me if this is answered elsewhere (I can't find it), but is the YouTube app on the JS8500 capable of streaming 60fps videos at 60fps, or does it play at 30?

What about Dolby Digital Plus? Do any SmartHub apps stream this?
post #15299 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgator View Post
Forgive me if this is answered elsewhere (I can't find it), but is the YouTube app on the JS8500 capable of streaming 60fps videos at 60fps, or does it play at 30?

What about Dolby Digital Plus? Do any SmartHub apps stream this?
YouTube app doesn't support 60fps as of now. since TV uses ARC or optical, DD+ is not supported either. streaming services that support DD+ offer lower bitrates with no significant advantage over DD, except for the 7.1 option. i'll take quality over quantity in this case though.
post #15300 of 24035 Old 02-16-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I came from a Viera Plasma and am ambivalent with this TV. I wanted a big size jump, which it is. And I do love the size, and the smart TV features are very nice. I'm colorblind so the color accuracy I don't get too caught up with, but I do like the slightly more saturated color reproduction, which was a surprise to me. The black levels aren't as good, and it begins to lose contrast, and you can see what appears to be dramatically reduced black levels in particular very very quickly off-axis. So this TV was a very big trade-off. If I could do it again, and just keep the Plasma another couple years until OLED was more affordable and had it's issues ironed out, I'd probably just wait.
Exactly my feelings too, but I just need an update for my living room, especially with my HTPC / music setup and ever since the better contents now started appearing. I visited many stores (I don't have any family / friends where I can see a preview of the new 4K tvs) and spent some time watching different models. Generally I liked samsung screens and the JS series to be particular. I mostly watch music videos, TV shows, Youtube, Netflix, Amazon etc and some motor sports and soccer. I am keeping my Viera Plasma in my bedroom and will continue watching my favorite crime/dark shows on it. I still think while the 8500 will be spectacular for music videos, sports, as an HTPC screen, general viewing, my Viera will still be amazing for the movie / show stuff especially of dark genre in a less lightened bedroom environment. I am not sure when I will be able to afford a good OLED. Like you said if they become affordable and common in another 5 years then yes, the Viera will be replaced

Last edited by JaytheDreamer; 02-16-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page