**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 511 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9742Likes

post #15301 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post
So my TV arrives from Amazon via Pilot Freight Services this Saturday. They're saying a two-man team will deliver it, remove it from the packaging, assemble the base, place the TV on my stand, and power it up.

Anyone have experience with Pilot Freight?

Anything I need to be SURE to do before they leave? I assume that I need to make sure there aren't any obvious defects in the panel or damage to the unit itself, but I also realize figuring out clouding, flashlighting, etc. will need to take some time.

What should be on my checklist for the delivery period? What should *I* do vs. letting them do?
Most freight company's are the same, there is really no harm letting them do it. Especially if you are putting it on the pedestal anyways, let them do it. As far as a checklist? you could tip them... beyond that they will make sure it turns on if they are putting it on the stand, when it turns on it should be obvious if there is any physical damage at which point they will put it back in the truck and reschedule another delivery.
CosmoNut likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15302 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Anything I need to be SURE to do before they leave?
Pray
post #15303 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,
Im finally considering buying this TV. I have a few questions about the HDR. How well does it handle the HDR being an edge lit tv? Is it future proof in the sense of HDR. I was reading about the DV standard vs what Samsung has a bit. My concern is buying this tv and having a HD DVD vs blu ray war again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15304 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by afmiller View Post
Hello,
My concern is buying this tv and having a HD DVD vs blu ray war again.
I hear that. Back when all that mess was happening, at the time, it looked like HD DVD was the one that was going to get adopted, so that's what I bought into. We know how that turned out.
post #15305 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonechitlin View Post
Most freight company's are the same, there is really no harm letting them do it. Especially if you are putting it on the pedestal anyways, let them do it. As far as a checklist? you could tip them... beyond that they will make sure it turns on if they are putting it on the stand, when it turns on it should be obvious if there is any physical damage at which point they will put it back in the truck and reschedule another delivery.
I wouldn't say no harm. The guys from Best Buy that set mine up stood the tv on its side to put the stand on. Not good.
post #15306 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hello,
Im finally considering buying this TV. I have a few questions about the HDR. How well does it handle the HDR being an edge lit tv? Is it future proof in the sense of HDR. I was reading about the DV standard vs what Samsung has a bit. My concern is buying this tv and having a HD DVD vs blu ray war again.
There's only one format this time so no worries on that.
post #15307 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
just got 1443 update. haven't noticed anything new about it.
Same here.
post #15308 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSchatz1 View Post
i only notice it on lighter content, most noticeable on blue and grey backgrounds but definitely on other colors too. once it's a dark color not so much and blacks are perfect.
Mine has same issue. After I had panel calibrated, it is less noticeable. My panel had a strong blue push using the popular settings here, but now I dont notice it. With 65" of screen, unless I sit and stare at that 1 spot, its not noticeable
post #15309 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Hello,
Im finally considering buying this TV. I have a few questions about the HDR.
HDR looks great on this set. it has a quantum dots 10bit panel that gets plenty bright (up to 600nits) and implements local dimming with actual zones. since HDR10 is a de fecto standard currently and included with every HDR release there's no real "war" per se. there's still only one DV HDR set on the market with Sony and Samsung are not releasing DV HDR supporting sets this year at all.
TheCrow1994 and MALICIOUS ONE like this.
post #15310 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
I wouldn't say no harm. The guys from Best Buy that set mine up stood the tv on its side to put the stand on. Not good.
I will definitely be directing them to the blanket-covered dining room table to set the panel face down onto as they put the base on. If they don't, they can kindly leave.
the5rivers likes this.

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Oppo UDP-203 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #15311 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will definitely be directing them to the blanket-covered dining room table to set the panel face down onto as they put the base on. If they don't, they can kindly leave.
Face down is not good either you want it standing straight up and horizontal.
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.
post #15312 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
HDR looks great on this set. it has a quantum dots 10bit panel that gets plenty bright (up to 600nits) and implements local dimming with actual zones. since HDR10 is a de fecto standard currently and included with every HDR release there's no real "war" per se. there's still only one DV HDR set on the market with Sony and Samsung are not releasing DV HDR supporting sets this year at all.
DV HDR? What's that?
post #15313 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Smile Big favor!

I need a huge favor before decide to label my set defective and box it up, return it and feel the rath of my wife. I have asked this multiple times and have received no responses to my request. I need some test data from a few other sets. It’s really simple; just watch the UHD version of “The man in the high castle”. Watch episode five starting at nine minutes. There is a scene in a dark apartment that has a few slow light to dark transition.One part in particular half of the screen has visible blooming or clouding. It has a blueish hue to it.

Very important and eagle_2 will appreciate that he is not alone with this issue. This visible blooming/clouding only happens when the set is warmed up. If you turn your set on and immediately watch the scene you will not see any blooming/clouding. So please warm your setup up first. Starting the episode from the beginning will work fine. I’m begging my AVS friends here to give this a try. I’m only asking to watch 10 minutes of a show (preferably in a dark room) and report what you saw. I really don’t want to return a perfectly good set.

Please!

Current gear: UN65JS8500 (Main TV), M40-C2(Guestroom TV), I1D3(Using HCFR)
Retired: TH-50PX80U, M55-C2 (Returned)
Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(3x Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
post #15314 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeUout View Post
I need a huge favor before decide to label my set defective and box it up, return it and feel the rath of my wife. I have asked this multiple times and have received no responses to my request. I need some test data from a few other sets. It’s really simple; just watch the UHD version of “The man in the high castle”. Watch episode five starting at nine minutes. There is a scene in a dark apartment that has a few slow light to dark transition.One part in particular half of the screen has visible blooming or clouding. It has a blueish hue to it.

Very important and eagle_2 will appreciate that he is not alone with this issue. This visible blooming/clouding only happens when the set is warmed up. If you turn your set on and immediately watch the scene you will not see any blooming/clouding. So please warm your setup up first. Starting the episode from the beginning will work fine. I’m begging my AVS friends here to give this a try. I’m only asking to watch 10 minutes of a show (preferably in a dark room) and report what you saw. I really don’t want to return a perfectly good set.

Please!
I'll try to remember to do this when I get home.
post #15315 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DV HDR? What's that?
Dolby Vision HDR.
post #15316 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I need a huge favor before decide to label my set defective and box it up, return it and feel the rath of my wife.
i mean i can watch that scene again later tonight but i watched the whole show (in a very dark environment) without noticing any glow, clouding, flickering or other anomalies.
post #15317 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Tried turning HDMI UHD Color on for the K8500 player and got a no signal screen after the tv restarted. This is a 6 foot 28awg cable. Any idea why this happens? I couldn't get it to turn on from my PC either and that ones using a 22 awg 25 foot cord. Cables too slow or is this something else?

On my PC the default resolution drops to 1080p when the UHD option is enabled. I can raise it to 4K with either RGB or 4:4:4 output. Using a 15' KabelDirekt from Amazon.

Samsung UN65JS850D
Yamaha TSR-7790
Sony BDP-BX650
Boston Acoustics VR-M50, VR-MC, VR-MX and PV-1000
post #15318 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
there is nothing wrong with putting an LED on its side, the reason it was an issue in the past was for plasmas.
post #15319 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonechitlin View Post
there is nothing wrong with putting an LED on its side, the reason it was an issue in the past was for plasmas.
I've heard others say that it's not good so who knows. Best to be safe though.
stonechitlin likes this.
post #15320 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

Please!

I'll do this tonight when I get home. And I'll watch it twice...right when I turn the TV on and then I'll wait a while and watch it again to see if there is a noticeable difference.
post #15321 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'll try to remember to do this when I get home.
Quote:
i mean i can watch that scene again later tonight but i watched the whole show (in a very dark environment) without noticing any glow, clouding, flickering or other anomalies.
In the scene there is a door frame that pans by slowly, as it gets darker the back lighting doesn't seem to dim and it looks like typical clouding. I have seen it in other content but its far less and more rare. I have since reset my TV and have no calibration, this seemed to help a bit, however this morning I did notice it. Why it looks fine when the TV is cold verse warm is beyond me.

In the photo I have noted a few thing. First the most obvious area that is effected happens at 9:04. As you can see the effected area will move to the right. As the same time a light is very bright causing the backlight to be driven. The photo was taken at work as a screen shot and not on the JS8500 so the effect cannot be seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nine plus four.png
Views:	169
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	1258193  

Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(3x Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
post #15322 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoNYC View Post
I'll do this tonight when I get home. And I'll watch it twice...right when I turn the TV on and then I'll wait a while and watch it again to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Thank you.

post #15323 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longballsd View Post
Costco online is best place to buy IMHO. 90 day return policy and an extra year of manufacturers warranty (2 years vs 1) It comes in gunmetal and not silver. You don't need to be a Costco member to buy online. If they have the TV in stock.
A word of caution regarding the Costco membership requirements...I was debating buying a 65JS850D during the Super Bowl sale. My membership had been expired for few years but I was not concerned as my understanding, like yours, was that it was not necessary for online purchases and I had even placed a few small orders over the holiday's without issue.

Well I pulled the trigger on Super Bowl Sunday, the last day of the sale, received my order confirmation and thought I was good to go. I went to check the status Monday and it showed as cancelled. Confused and not happy, I contacted customer service at which point they informed me that my membership number was no longer valid and that I should have been charged a 5% non-member surcharge, so my order was flagged and cancelled. I explained that at no time during the order process was I notified of any surcharge, and if I had been I obviously would have renewed since the membership fee is half of the what the surcharge would cost. They apologized for the "inconvenience".

Of course by that point, the sale was over and the 65JS850D was no longer in stock.
Longballsd likes this.
post #15324 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherboy128 View Post
Mine has same issue. After I had panel calibrated, it is less noticeable. My panel had a strong blue push using the popular settings here, but now I dont notice it. With 65" of screen, unless I sit and stare at that 1 spot, its not noticeable
Thanks.

I've noticed it's much worse today after re-calibrating yesterday with one of the popular settings found here. It looks great in general but I also noticed it has a much stronger blue after calibration. I have a Samsung tech coming on Friday to take a look. Assuming he tells me nothing they will not/do not want to do anything, i suppose i will also try to calibrate it away. I'll report back with what he says. On the off chance that they want to replace the panel/TV any thoughts on the chances of getting a worse panel? Other than the blue bleed it's pretty good i think.
post #15325 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSchatz1 View Post
Thanks.

I've noticed it's much worse today after re-calibrating yesterday with one of the popular settings found here. It looks great in general but I also noticed it has a much stronger blue after calibration. I have a Samsung tech coming on Friday to take a look. Assuming he tells me nothing they will not/do not want to do anything, i suppose i will also try to calibrate it away. I'll report back with what he says. On the off chance that they want to replace the panel/TV any thoughts on the chances of getting a worse panel? Other than the blue bleed it's pretty good i think.
I have a feeling they wont replace the panel for that, and panel replacements seem to have been a crap-shoot for other members. *In my opinion* find either Denpom's or Prme19's settings, use them as a starting point, and tweak from there. If you want to go above/beyond that- have a professional calibrator come and calibrate it for you- then you KNOW it's spot on.

Samsung UN65JS8500
Denon AVR-X4300H
Samsung UBD-K8500
post #15326 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:

Please!
While eagle_2 tended to get too defensive and he needed to work on his tone, others sometimes were also too dismissive. He struggled to back up his claims because he was always using examples related to separate, much older models which really is like comparing apples to oranges. But... has eagle_2 been vidicated? Interesting.
property33 likes this.
post #15327 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Face down is not good either you want it standing straight up and horizontal.
Sheesh. Seriously? Do Saturn and our moon need to be in alignment with Alpha Centauri to ensure there are no errant magnetic waves that might hit the TV, too?

Are these TVs really that delicate? Don't put it on its back. Don't put it on its front. Don't put it on its end. ONLY have two people hold it in mid air at the top and bottom slightly in from the corners while a THIRD person puts on the stand -- but not too tight because that will mess up the screen, too!

Really?
blasterr, Aniwolfe, TinyRK and 2 others like this.

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Oppo UDP-203 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #15328 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Sheesh. Seriously? Do Saturn and our moon need to be in alignment with Alpha Centauri to ensure there are no errant magnetic waves that might hit the TV, too?

Are these TVs really that delicate? Don't put it on its back. Don't put it on its front. Don't put it on its end. ONLY have two people hold it in mid air at the top and bottom slightly in from the corners while a THIRD person puts on the stand -- but not too tight because that will mess up the screen, too!

Really?
The unpacking instructions tell you to put it face down on a blanket on a table to install the stand. It's just not supposed to be transported or stored for a long time on its face.

What you do want to make sure of with this tv is that you don't squeeze the metal frame or put a ton of pressure on the corners. Ideally you want to rest it on your palms about 1 foot in from the corners when moving. The TV is robust but you can certainly bend the metal frame easily if you manhandle it.

It's like the iPhone bending thing, if you try to bend/break your phone you'll probably be able to--if you jump on the hood of a new Mercedes you'll also find out it's not invincible.
Longballsd and wackedtv like this.

"No one can have an idea once he really starts listening" - John Cage
post #15329 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Has anyone put on one of those screen protectors on your tvs? Recommendations? only reason I ask is because I have a 2 year old so yeah...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #15330 of 23987 Old 02-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Really?
Hey do what you will with it, it's your tv. No need to be a jerk though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page