**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 516 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9740Likes

post #15451 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by FronzDan View Post
I have and mentioned it many pages ago. Nothing to do with the PQ...it just completely hosed the usability of the remote. I lost all specific functionality/control of my STB. Many people weren't impacted. I was one of the unfortunate ones.
No. Everythings fine. downloaded it about 2 weeks ago. No issues.
bp787 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15452 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by the5rivers View Post
The js8500 uses a VA panel, and these panels are notorious for having poor off-center viewing angles. What you are seeing is normal i.e. a limitation of the panel. Colors desaturate and blacks start to look like grays.
Why have not seen this when I try it in a store? At both Best Buy and Nebraska Furniture Mart, I tried looking at the TV at extreme angles and saw no difference. Is it because stores run their demo TVs in torch mode? Are my eyes just not sensitive enough?

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Oppo UDP-203 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #15453 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post
Why have not seen this when I try it in a store? At both Best Buy and Nebraska Furniture Mart, I tried looking at the TV at extreme angles and saw no difference. Is it because stores run their demo TVs in torch mode? Are my eyes just not sensitive enough?
Its definitely there as its a well known disadvantage of VA panels in general. You probably didnt notice it because of many factors (bright showroom, torch mode, standing too far away, etc). Try it on your set, and you will see a difference.

EDIT: Read here, better explained. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-.../viewing-angle
goksucats likes this.

Last edited by the5rivers; 02-17-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15454 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Why have not seen this when I try it in a store? At both Best Buy and Nebraska Furniture Mart, I tried looking at the TV at extreme angles and saw no difference.
panel imperfections can effect the viewing angles too. when i was going through 7100 saga, all 3 had quite different angle the screen was starting to wash out at. the one with the worst banding being the worst offender.
the5rivers likes this.
post #15455 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
panel imperfections can effect the viewing angles too. when i was going through 7100 saga, all 3 had quite different angle the screen was starting to wash out at. the one with the worst banding being the worst offender.

Panel Imperfections & Content Quality play a massive factor. I've noticed on lower quality content the angles can be bad, quality 4K content & the angles a very very good.
JohnNY-C and denpom like this.

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
post #15456 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljack View Post
All of my issues are non PQ related. Luckily I guess. Another issue I am having, and I've seen this mentioned in other threads in the past although I can't find a solution - about 15 seconds after the Receiver and TV are powered on (usually to CBL/SAT input mode in my case), the Samsung sends a signal to the receiver to switch to TV Audio input. The sound goes silent and the picture goes to the Marantz logo. This has to manually switched back to CBL / SAT. Is there a remedy for this?
Same here with my Onkyo receiver. I turned Anynet+ off and that stopped it. Not sure if I need that turned on anyway
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.
post #15457 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having issues with my PS4 in game mode. I get this like 1 second stutter at all times. Below is a video. This will go away if i keep changing display settings but it always comes back when i turn the tv off and turn it back on. There is no rhyme or reason to which display setting fixes the issue. please help

post #15458 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata1eao View Post
I'm having issues with my PS4 in game mode. I get this like 1 second stutter at all times. Below is a video. This will go away if i keep changing display settings but it always comes back when i turn the tv off and turn it back on. There is no rhyme or reason to which display setting fixes the issue. please help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvkTTWQTzEI

What stutter are you talking about, I watched the video about 10 times & the background movement doesn't change or stutter.
the5rivers likes this.

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
post #15459 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_avs View Post
What stutter are you talking about, I watched the video about 10 times & the background movement doesn't change or stutter.
It's a 1 second stutter. It is kind of hard to see on the youtube post. May try higher resolution? It will be smooth for one second then stutter, smoothe another second then stutter. It's very noticeable in person. Try it full screen and high resolution I can defintly see it.

Let me clarify. Watch just the text. The text is skipping/stuttering.

Last edited by mata1eao; 02-17-2016 at 05:57 PM.
post #15460 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvkTTWQTzEI
Do you have auto motion plus on? Auto motion plus introduces a sporadic stutter on any kind of content.
goksucats likes this.
post #15461 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
Do you have auto motion plus on? Auto motion plus introduces a sporadic stutter on any kind of content.
auto motion plus is not available in game mode. I may have forgot to mention that this only happens in game mode on the ps4.
post #15462 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's a 1 second stutter. It is kind of hard to see on the youtube post. May try higher resolution? It will be smooth for one second then stutter, smoothe another second then stutter. It's very noticeable in person. Try it full screen and high resolution I can defintly see it.

Let me clarify. Watch just the text. The text is skipping/stuttering.

I did all of that & I swear I still cannot see any stutter at all. I would say it isn't a TV issue but a PS4 problem.

post #15463 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Quote:
auto motion plus is not available in game mode. I may have forgot to mention that this only happens in game mode on the ps4.
Do you have any other consoles or PC to see if they do it as well?
post #15464 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Do you have any other consoles or PC to see if they do it as well?
Nope no other consoles. I can move the ps4 upstairs to my samsung lcd, but I used to have it hooked up to that and never noticed it.
post #15465 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonechitlin View Post
Is your soundbar plugged in to the ARC HDMI port of the tv? (HDMI 4) If not, try that.
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately it did not solve the issue however. So now i currently have the soundbar connected to HDMI 4 on the mini connect box and then the cable, TV and PS4 to the soundbar amp... All still work via the soundbar except the smart TV options including the tv click sounds on TV's menu.

When I go into the sound settings I only have options for "TV Speaker, Bluetooth Audio, Audio Out /Optical" . I know audio out optical isn't the sound bar but i tried it anyway and it did not work. My soundbar has bluetooth capabilities but needs to be on the blue tooth source and not HDMI 1 which obviously isn't the correct way to have this setup regardless.

I went into the additional settings and did not see any options to point to an HDMI source to output the sound to the soundbar... Any other additional information would be appreciated! It's not the end of the world but its driving me a little crazy since I cant use the USB or smart TV when using my soundbar i have to use my PS4 instead as a work around but this would be ideal if i can figure this out. Thanks guys!!!

edit** i have anynet hdmi cec set to off since i use a universal harmony remote so I am not sure if this is related. I assume this is only remote control related and shouldnt make a difference. I might go through the setup again on the TV. Maybe i might have missed something? I dont see any other setting that could help me .. grrr

Last edited by sranda03; 02-17-2016 at 07:11 PM.
post #15466 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I’ve been working on setting up my new AV system (TV, AVR and BD are new, rest all legacy devices). This stuff is much more complex than my older equipment, but I’ve learned a ton of stuff reading this forum (I’ve read up to post 11,000 or so, will get to the rest too).

I’d like opinions on the way I have set things up, primarily for audio purposes (been having issues getting audio / video to sync for all sources) and for ease of use by my wife. Please comment on possible improvements. And I’d really like all suggestions on achieving a good audio sync for all of the AV sources given that I don’t have a scope – I’m finding it very difficult to get a good sync just by listening to speech while watching mouths move. Is there something I can stream using the SmartHub to at least make it easier to set the audio delay value for media streamed from the SmartHub? What about for the BD and AT&T U-Verse signals??

Here are the devices I have and the related cabling:
TV - UN55JS8500. I see Prime19’s picture calibration settings, but I have not applied them yet. Will changing those values also affect the value I need to select for Audio Delay for various sources?
HDMI 1 – AT&T U-Verse box.
HDMI 2 – unused
HDMI 3 - unused
HDMI 4 – ARC connection back to AVR Main Out.

Onkyo TX-NR636
> Analog connections:
Phono (RCA) – Phonograph
TV/CD (RCA) – CD player
PC – no connection
Game – No connection
STB/DVR – No connection
CBL/SAT (RCA) – Tape player
BD/DVD – No connection
SUB - Subwoofer
5.1 speaker setup in use now, maybe 7.1 some time later.
> HDMI Connections:
HDMI 1 BD/DVD – Sony BDPS3500 Bluray player, with AVR video up-scaling turned off
HDMI 2 CBL/SAT – No connection
HDMI 3 STB/DVR – No connection
HDMI 4 Game – No connection
HDMI 5 PC – No connection
HDMI 6 – No connection
HDMI Main Out – JS8500 HDMI 4 (ARC)
Ran full audio setup on the Onkyo, results in great sound!

Reasons why I cabled like this are:

I want best possible sound for our 3 main sources of video viewing: U-verse box (HD live and DVR recorded), Bluray, and streamed video from the TV’s Smart Hub. We use the AVR for the audio for all sources, and TV speakers are disabled.

My wife views U-verse stuff (live or DVR recorded) almost all the time, so I want it to be as simple as possible for her to turn on the TV and watch from the U-verse source with sound coming out of the AVR. The ARC enabled lets my wife click the power button on the TV remote which turns on the TV and AVR at the same time (It would be great if U-Verse box would turn on too, but I don’t think that is possible). TV will display the available inputs, and U-verse shows up near the beginning of the list since is connected to the TV’s HDMI 1. U-verse box always puts out a signal, even when turned “off” (shows a screen saver with instructions to press a key on the U-verse remote to view). She clicks the U-verse source (if not already selected) with the TV remote and is good to go. The Onkyo changes to TV/CD input even if not left that way at last use (we all know how that works!). At that point wife can just use the U-verse remote to select what to view and to operate the volume (as soon as I set up the U-verse remote to control the AVR volume). So very simple – turn on the TV with TV remote, use TV remote to select U-verse source if not already selected, and then use the U-verse remote she already know how to operate. When done viewing, turn off U-verse with U-verse remote and then use TV remote to turn off the TV and AVR.

If wife wants to listen to any one of the legacy audio devices instead, she can turn on the AVR using the power button on the AVR or using the power button on the AVR remote (this doesn’t turn on the TV, which is good), then select the legacy audio source from the AVR remote or front panel of the AVR.
Perhaps a different option would be to disable ARC, move the U-verse box to the AVR STB/DVR HDMI connection, and use an optical cable between the TV and the TV/CD port on the AVR to get sound for sources streamed using the TV’s Smart Hub. Turning on the TV would not automatically turn on the AVR, but I could configure the U-Verse remote to turn on the AVR when U-verse is turned on. With this setup I think the Onkyo AVR would power up with the last used input selected, so as long as that is left on STB/DVR then wife would not need to use the AVR remote at all.

Another thing with the setup I have cabled now is the Bluray, U-verse and streaming video all can be configured via TV settings for a different value of audio delay to try and achieve good lip sync for all these sources. I’ve noticed I need a different audio delay for the U-verse signal as compared to streaming Amazon Prime video, and I assume the same will be true for the Bluray. If I plug the U-Verse into the AVR instead of the One-Connect Mini, then both the BluRay and the U-verse sources will come into the TV thru the AVR on the same HDMI port, so I guess to configure different audio delay values I’d have to configure that in the AVR settings for the BluRay and the U-Verse, and set the audio delay for the TV’s Smart Hub sources in the TV settings.

Fire away please! Bad lip sync is so annoying that I'd consider almost any configuration that would make it easier to achieve good lip sync for all sources!
post #15467 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys! I have a 65" Samsung js8500 , and as I was just watching tv .. The volume keeps going up and doesn't stop regardless if I lower it . can anybody help? Tv Is not even a month old
post #15468 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by royfash View Post
I’ve been working on setting up my new AV system (TV, AVR and BD are new, rest all legacy devices). This stuff is much more complex than my older equipment, but I’ve learned a ton of stuff reading this forum (I’ve read up to post 11,000 or so, will get to the rest too).

I’d like opinions on the way I have set things up, primarily for audio purposes (been having issues getting audio / video to sync for all sources) and for ease of use by my wife. Please comment on possible improvements. And I’d really like all suggestions on achieving a good audio sync for all of the AV sources given that I don’t have a scope – I’m finding it very difficult to get a good sync just by listening to speech while watching mouths move. Is there something I can stream using the SmartHub to at least make it easier to set the audio delay value for media streamed from the SmartHub? What about for the BD and AT&T U-Verse signals??

Here are the devices I have and the related cabling:
TV - UN55JS8500. I see Prime19’s picture calibration settings, but I have not applied them yet. Will changing those values also affect the value I need to select for Audio Delay for various sources?
HDMI 1 – AT&T U-Verse box.
HDMI 2 – unused
HDMI 3 - unused
HDMI 4 – ARC connection back to AVR Main Out.

Onkyo TX-NR636
> Analog connections:
Phono (RCA) – Phonograph
TV/CD (RCA) – CD player
PC – no connection
Game – No connection
STB/DVR – No connection
CBL/SAT (RCA) – Tape player
BD/DVD – No connection
SUB - Subwoofer
5.1 speaker setup in use now, maybe 7.1 some time later.
> HDMI Connections:
HDMI 1 BD/DVD – Sony BDPS3500 Bluray player, with AVR video up-scaling turned off
HDMI 2 CBL/SAT – No connection
HDMI 3 STB/DVR – No connection
HDMI 4 Game – No connection
HDMI 5 PC – No connection
HDMI 6 – No connection
HDMI Main Out – JS8500 HDMI 4 (ARC)
Ran full audio setup on the Onkyo, results in great sound!

Reasons why I cabled like this are:

I want best possible sound for our 3 main sources of video viewing: U-verse box (HD live and DVR recorded), Bluray, and streamed video from the TV’s Smart Hub. We use the AVR for the audio for all sources, and TV speakers are disabled.

My wife views U-verse stuff (live or DVR recorded) almost all the time, so I want it to be as simple as possible for her to turn on the TV and watch from the U-verse source with sound coming out of the AVR. The ARC enabled lets my wife click the power button on the TV remote which turns on the TV and AVR at the same time (It would be great if U-Verse box would turn on too, but I don’t think that is possible). TV will display the available inputs, and U-verse shows up near the beginning of the list since is connected to the TV’s HDMI 1. U-verse box always puts out a signal, even when turned “off” (shows a screen saver with instructions to press a key on the U-verse remote to view). She clicks the U-verse source (if not already selected) with the TV remote and is good to go. The Onkyo changes to TV/CD input even if not left that way at last use (we all know how that works!). At that point wife can just use the U-verse remote to select what to view and to operate the volume (as soon as I set up the U-verse remote to control the AVR volume). So very simple – turn on the TV with TV remote, use TV remote to select U-verse source if not already selected, and then use the U-verse remote she already know how to operate. When done viewing, turn off U-verse with U-verse remote and then use TV remote to turn off the TV and AVR.

If wife wants to listen to any one of the legacy audio devices instead, she can turn on the AVR using the power button on the AVR or using the power button on the AVR remote (this doesn’t turn on the TV, which is good), then select the legacy audio source from the AVR remote or front panel of the AVR.
Perhaps a different option would be to disable ARC, move the U-verse box to the AVR STB/DVR HDMI connection, and use an optical cable between the TV and the TV/CD port on the AVR to get sound for sources streamed using the TV’s Smart Hub. Turning on the TV would not automatically turn on the AVR, but I could configure the U-Verse remote to turn on the AVR when U-verse is turned on. With this setup I think the Onkyo AVR would power up with the last used input selected, so as long as that is left on STB/DVR then wife would not need to use the AVR remote at all.

Another thing with the setup I have cabled now is the Bluray, U-verse and streaming video all can be configured via TV settings for a different value of audio delay to try and achieve good lip sync for all these sources. I’ve noticed I need a different audio delay for the U-verse signal as compared to streaming Amazon Prime video, and I assume the same will be true for the Bluray. If I plug the U-Verse into the AVR instead of the One-Connect Mini, then both the BluRay and the U-verse sources will come into the TV thru the AVR on the same HDMI port, so I guess to configure different audio delay values I’d have to configure that in the AVR settings for the BluRay and the U-Verse, and set the audio delay for the TV’s Smart Hub sources in the TV settings.

Fire away please! Bad lip sync is so annoying that I'd consider almost any configuration that would make it easier to achieve good lip sync for all sources!

Uverse... I have mine connected to HDMI 3 on the OCM. This helps when using a logitech Harmony remote.

You must have not set up the tv's remote to control the uverse box. The Tv's remote will control power, channels, menu, etc... It uses IR to do so.

To set this up, do the following on the TV: Menu -> System -> Universal Remote Setup and then follow the on screen prompts.

Keeping the Uverse box on the OCM seemed to help with LipSync issues vs running it through my AVR. You have to adjust it on the AVR AND/or the tv. both have settings for it. Sometimes it's still off a bit though. usually minor.

Last, if you disable ARC and HDMI-CEC, then move the uverse box back to the AVR AND use Optical for smart apps, you will improve overall control as you'll use your AVR for all the switching. However, it will have to be done "manually" instead of CEC doing the switching for you. The TV remote can also control SOME functions of the AVR if you tell the remote to do so just like above with the Uverse box. The downside for this is that when you switch to smart apps, you have to also switch your AVR to whatever input you assign to the optical.

For me, I like ARC and CEC. works really well, even with the annoying auto-switch to tv/cd at power on.

The best option might be to buy a harmony and disable ARC, but using the harmony with smart apps sucks, so you will probably find yourself switching out a bit.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #15469 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeycanales View Post
Hey guys! I have a 65" Samsung js8500 , and as I was just watching tv .. The volume keeps going up and doesn't stop regardless if I lower it . can anybody help? Tv Is not even a month old
Thank you
post #15470 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
it does change somewhat, but some people make it out to be awful. I wouldn't want to watch a whole bunch of stuff at 45 degress off center, but who the hell would do that anyway?

post #15471 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Hey all.

I doubt anyone remembers me, but on Black Friday, I picked up an 8500, and came into this thread because I had absolutely awful Smart OS performance. I had updated to the new firmware that launched about that time, no change. Netflix crashed every hour or so, Youtube was VERY rough, crashing from near immediately to at least once per hour, with awful frame chugging, etc. The general Smart OS performance was terrible. Well, I ended up taking it back and was going to wait until around now.

Well, now the new TVs are out, and it looks like the prices went up for VERY minimal new features. Honestly, I'm zeroing in on the 8500 again. At the time, I was told that I was more or less the only one having these issues. I sort of believed it, since if everyone's experience was as bad as mine, you all would have taken your sets back as well. When I returned mine to the store, I tried the demo tv, and the Smart UI felt slow. I mentioned why I was returning it, and they told me that others had come back for the similar issue.

Well... I'm wanting to get a new tv now, and I'm again looking at the 8500. My main competitor is the Sony 850c, which I know has a super solid interface, but is a lower tier tv overall. Before I make my final decision, I just want to ask if anyone has been experiencing these issues lately? Any thoughts?

Thanks all.
post #15472 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sranda03 View Post
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately it did not solve the issue however. So now i currently have the soundbar connected to HDMI 4 on the mini connect box and then the cable, TV and PS4 to the soundbar amp... All still work via the soundbar except the smart TV options including the tv click sounds on TV's menu.

When I go into the sound settings I only have options for "TV Speaker, Bluetooth Audio, Audio Out /Optical" . I know audio out optical isn't the sound bar but i tried it anyway and it did not work. My soundbar has bluetooth capabilities but needs to be on the blue tooth source and not HDMI 1 which obviously isn't the correct way to have this setup regardless.

I went into the additional settings and did not see any options to point to an HDMI source to output the sound to the soundbar... Any other additional information would be appreciated! It's not the end of the world but its driving me a little crazy since I cant use the USB or smart TV when using my soundbar i have to use my PS4 instead as a work around but this would be ideal if i can figure this out. Thanks guys!!!

edit** i have anynet hdmi cec set to off since i use a universal harmony remote so I am not sure if this is related. I assume this is only remote control related and shouldnt make a difference. I might go through the setup again on the TV. Maybe i might have missed something? I dont see any other setting that could help me .. grrr

Go to Menu -> Sound Settings, Speaker List

you Should See:
1. TV Speaker, Receiver(HDMI), Bluetooth Audio, Audio Out/Optical

If you don't have HDMI, then either your HDMI cable isn't connected properly or doesn't support ARC. Not all cables support ARC. You must use HDMI 1.3a or better cables.

HDMI CEC has nothing to do with your issue.

To use bluetooth, you don't use HDMI at all. just follow your sound bar's pairing process, pair the tv and bar, then select bluetooth from the Speaker List menu.

post #15473 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Horne View Post
Hey all.

I doubt anyone remembers me, but on Black Friday, I picked up an 8500, and came into this thread because I had absolutely awful Smart OS performance. I had updated to the new firmware that launched about that time, no change. Netflix crashed every hour or so, Youtube was VERY rough, crashing from near immediately to at least once per hour, with awful frame chugging, etc. The general Smart OS performance was terrible. Well, I ended up taking it back and was going to wait until around now.

Well, now the new TVs are out, and it looks like the prices went up for VERY minimal new features. Honestly, I'm zeroing in on the 8500 again. At the time, I was told that I was more or less the only one having these issues. I sort of believed it, since if everyone's experience was as bad as mine, you all would have taken your sets back as well. When I returned mine to the store, I tried the demo tv, and the Smart UI felt slow. I mentioned why I was returning it, and they told me that others had come back for the similar issue.

Well... I'm wanting to get a new tv now, and I'm again looking at the 8500. My main competitor is the Sony 850c, which I know has a super solid interface, but is a lower tier tv overall. Before I make my final decision, I just want to ask if anyone has been experiencing these issues lately? Any thoughts?

Thanks all.
So far my experience with (so far, only Samsung's) smart TVs is that you need to stick with the apps for a remotely pleasant experience. Anything you choose to do via the web browser will result in frustration.

Your mileage may vary.
post #15474 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
So far my experience with (so far, only Samsung's) smart TVs is that you need to stick with the apps for a remotely pleasant experience. Anything you choose to do via the web browser will result in frustration.

Your mileage may vary.
Everything was in either the Youtube or Netflix apps. The Amazon Prime Video app seemed stable, IIRC. Basically, I'd just be watching Netflix, then bam, it drops and cuts to the HDMI input.
post #15475 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljack View Post
All of my issues are non PQ related. Luckily I guess. Another issue I am having, and I've seen this mentioned in other threads in the past although I can't find a solution - about 15 seconds after the Receiver and TV are powered on (usually to CBL/SAT input mode in my case), the Samsung sends a signal to the receiver to switch to TV Audio input. The sound goes silent and the picture goes to the Marantz logo. This has to manually switched back to CBL / SAT. Is there a remedy for this?

have you searched this thread at all? ALL samsungs do this with Anynet+/HDMI-CEC turned on. the only way to stop it is by turning off ARC.

That said, there are work arounds... plug your main viewing source (cable box) into the HDMI 3 port on the OCM. Now, when you turn on the set, the tv will default to HDMI 3 and your receiver will get ARC Audio on the TV Audio input.

Samsung is doing something really horrible and FORCING the audio system to switch no matter what.

post #15476 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Horne View Post
Everything was in either the Youtube or Netflix apps. The Amazon Prime Video app seemed stable, IIRC. Basically, I'd just be watching Netflix, then bam, it drops and cuts to the HDMI input.
Tizen is blazing fast for me without any slow downs or crashes pretty much since i got the TV *shrugs*
TheCrow1994 and TinyRK like this.
post #15477 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
Tizen is blazing fast for me without any slow downs or crashes pretty much since i got the TV *shrugs*
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I can't help but feel I was a one off, but the whole experience was strange. TBH, I think it's the first time I've ever taken an electronic thing back for simply just not actually working. I don't think it was fundamentally physically broken, but yeah.
post #15478 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Talking Main Board Replaced - Remote Fixed

So I had geek squad come yesterday for my remote issues. Guy suggested getting a newer TV or replace the main board. Samsung Techs, two of them came in today. Both of them didn't utter a word of English in between them but Korean.

First tech suggested that my bad HD antenna reception is causing the remote to skip. My response how in the world RF signal is messing with a blue tooth beam? He shut up after that and tried Youtube. Of-course they saw that remote stops responding. To my surprise they had a Main Board with them. Brought the TV down from the fireplace. Replaced the main board, re-paired the remote, reset the Smart Hub from Service Menu Wola!

Remote is smooth as silk. No issues now. Its even working from 20 feet. I get to keep my JAN16 Panel Yay!!

Here's how the TV was placed on the Sofa. No blankets.

http://1drv.ms/1To4QD4

Last edited by blasterr; 02-17-2016 at 08:43 PM.
post #15479 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Tizen is a great OS but the SOC in the JS8500 hangs up every now and then.

Current gear: UN65JS8500 (Main TV), M40-C2(Guestroom TV), I1D3(Using HCFR)
Retired: TH-50PX80U, M55-C2 (Returned)
Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(3x Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
post #15480 of 23980 Old 02-17-2016, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Is that why I see a little stutter on some content? I don't see it on blu rays but directv has it. Thought there was something wrong with the tv...

I thought auto motion plus was supposed to stop that from happening???

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ajresendez; 02-17-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page