**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 649 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9816Likes

post #19441 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there a 2016 model available? Not sure if I should purchase the JS8500 now or wait for the latest model to come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19442 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DThiel View Post
Is there a 2016 model available? Not sure if I should purchase the JS8500 now or wait for the latest model to come out.
New models are out. KS models.

messaged from my HTC 10
post #19443 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedrano1977 View Post
New models are out. KS models.

messaged from my HTC 10
Thanks for the response.

Lot's of negative reviews on AMZN for the KS model. Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19444 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

And no 3D, sticking with mine for a while for that reason unless there's one worthy of replacing this one that does 3D and is not an OLED.

messaged from my HTC 10
King Richard likes this.
post #19445 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4751 Post(s)
Liked: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedrano1977 View Post
And no 3D, sticking with mine for a while for that reason unless there's one worthy of replacing this one that does 3D and is not an OLED.

messaged from my HTC 10
You may have to keep this unit just for 3D if that's important to you. That will be a feature left off displays more often as we move forward.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #19446 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 04:30 PM

Does the JS8500 have a HDMI input on the side of the TV?
post #19447 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Does the JS8500 have a HDMI input on the side of the TV?
No; all HDMI ports are located on the standalone OCM (One Connect Mini) box.
post #19448 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

And a lot of those are lame. All these clams of studder are cleary configuration setup issues. Samsung's video processing is touchy when sent 60HZ instead of 59.94. There is no magic there. Live TV needs to be 59.94 Hz for progressive or 29.97 Hz for interlaced. Those are the standards. You can't fix that with motion controls. Converting the correct frequency to 60Hz will cause frame drops.
post #19449 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
And a lot of those are lame. All these clams of studder are cleary configuration setup issues. Samsung's video processing is touchy when sent 60HZ instead of 59.94. There is no magic there. Live TV needs to be 59.94 Hz for progressive or 29.97 Hz for interlaced. Those are the standards. You can't fix that with motion controls. Converting the correct frequency to 60Hz will cause frame drops.
JS or KS model in your opinion? Need help deciding.
post #19450 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Tech View Post
No; all HDMI ports are located on the standalone OCM (One Connect Mini) box.
Thanks for the response. I'm out of the loop. I guess I need to do some research here on 4K TV's. Never heard of a OCM.
post #19451 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I'm out of the loop. I guess I need to do some research here on 4K TV's. Never heard of a OCM.

The One Connect Mini is a box that houses all of the connections, HDMI, Optical & USB 2.0 for the TV, it then just uses one cord from the box to connect to the TV.
The TV has just x1 USB 3.0, LAN Port & RF Antenna on the rear of the TV itself.

The JS9000 & JS9500 have the Full One Connect Box which is the same as above except it also houses the CPU etc.
DThiel and King Richard like this.

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
post #19452 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_avs View Post
The One Connect Mini is a box that houses all of the connections, HDMI, Optical & USB 2.0 for the TV, it then just uses one cord from the box to connect to the TV.
The TV has just x1 USB 3.0, LAN Port & RF Antenna on the rear of the TV itself.

The JS9000 & JS9500 have the Full One Connect Box which is the same as above except it also houses the CPU etc.
Thanks, man. Thumbs up to ya.
mc_avs likes this.
post #19453 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 07:33 PM

Liked: 19
Bought the 48 inch JS8500 back in November during Black Friday from Best Buy for my room. Awesome tv!! Only issue I've had has been with some sporadic red lines while in Game Mode.

Today I bought a 55 inch JS8500 for my living room. Best Buy priced matched Amazon for $1109!! The only stock they had in store was open box missing some parts. Will be getting it delivered later this week.

Also bought the HW-J8500 curved soundbar. Best Buy had it on sale for $399 same price as the HW-J7500 soundbar.
dlbsyst likes this.
post #19454 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2030 View Post
Bought the 48 inch JS8500 back in November during Black Friday from Best Buy for my room. Awesome tv!! Only issue I've had has been with some sporadic red lines while in Game Mode.

Today I bought a 55 inch JS8500 for my living room. Best Buy priced matched Amazon for $1109!! The only stock they had in store was open box missing some parts. Will be getting it delivered later this week.

Also bought the HW-J8500 curved soundbar. Best Buy had it on sale for $399 same price as the HW-J7500 soundbar.
Sounds like you got a great deal especially on the HW-J8500. That's a $1300 soundbar. I can't believe what BestBuy is selling it for.
post #19455 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Tech View Post
I have a quick question (for such a long-winded post) about resetting the TV since I've never had the need to do a factory reset in the 13 months I've owned my 65JS8500, but I may now have to do so following my latest firmware update. Question: Will unplugging the TV for a given length of time accomplish the same thing as going through the TV's factory reset menu option (MENU > SUPPORT > SELF-DIAGNOSIS > RESET)? The E-Manual states that the latter will reset everything to factory defaults except for network settings -- does simply unplugging the set from the wall outlet for X amount of time accomplish this too, or is it not as thorough of a reset (or not a reset at all)?

I hate like heck to go the factory reset route, but I think something might have gone awry during my latest firmware upgrade on June 14. I updated from an ancient year-old 1221.7 firmware version to the latest 1455.0 via USB (only reason for me wanting to perform this update was for the HDMI 2.0a capability Samsung released around November of last year to support the new K8500 player I'm thinking of buying), and following the update I immediately noticed that the picture was much darker with some black crush I'd never experienced before, and that some colors appear a bit overly saturated. With prior firmware updates, my set would reboot just once, but with this update it rebooted twice, with a 10-second or so delay between reboots. Just before the second reboot, the TV was fuzzy, reminded me of the good ol' days of rabbit ears and weak signals; I had a sickening feeling that the set was hosed, but just before the second reboot I saw that the activity light on my thumb drive was flashing, so I knew the TV was still accessing the drive and doing "something" with the firmware files on it. After the second reboot the PQ was greatly improved vs. the initial reboot, to my huge relief. All of my prior settings were retained except for my default audio delay of 0 -- the firmware reset it to 100 -- which was a simple fix. But the TV looks a lot darker overall now than before and some colors (especially red hues) are now on the over-saturated side, reminds me a bit of torch mode on store display models. Some cable channels are better than others, per usual, but I'm still not getting the overall PQ I'm used to (unfortunately I don't own a DVD player or gaming console to test other sources, just my Motorola QIP7232 DVR from Frontier Communications (formerly Verizon) which I rebooted to see if that would help, which it didn't; the cable is running directly from the OCM to the Motorola DVR, there is no intervening A/V receiver in the video mix since my old Pioneer receiver has no HDMI inputs and is strictly used for audio via a digital optical audio cable connection). As a matter of fact, when now viewed slightly off-axis (about 2'-3' from the left or right edge of the panel bezel), the TV looks like it did when viewed head-on prior to the update (weird!). But with this latest update, the head-on view is significantly darker and, for lack of a better description, has an "over-processed" appearance. I've fooled around with every conceivable picture setting the past 10 days, tried the Reset Picture option, and also searched for/found/tried the settings posted by forum members denpom, ERuiz, prme19, and King Richard (I prefer Standard mode, and feel that denpom's was the most suitable for my bright room), but things still look darker overall than before. I retained my backlight setting of 12 (tried 10 but it was too dark) and even though raising it beyond 12 does boost the overall brightness, the blacks in certain scenes still lack definition/detail, albeit they are now much blacker than before ("inky black" as denpom describes his). My initial contrast setting was at 100, but bringing it down to 90 still doesn't help provide definition to darker scenes.

I realize I'm in the minority when it comes to this latest 1455.0 update, everyone else has reported excellent PQ results from what I've read here, so I guess I'm the lucky one. As for what I plan to try next, I have a new HDMI 2.0 cable on order (I read that this one works good with the JS8500 and the K8500 player: http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-6ft.../dp/B00NQ9OQU2) since my current Belkin braided cable is at least 8 years old (http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=441602) and was rated at HDMI 1.3 at time of purchase. Moreover, the E-Manual recommends using a "High-Speed HDMI Cable" or "High-Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet," so I'm hoping the newer cable might improve things when it arrives next week. I have not yet tried a different HDMI input on the OCM box since I thought I'd run this factory reset question by everyone first before crawling behind my AV furniture, plus the Sammy Set-Up Guide shows that set-top boxes should be connected to "HDMI In 1" on the OCM box.

Member "denpom" refers to those who see PQ improvements from firmware updates as experiencing the "placebo effect," but in my case I must be experiencing "reverse-placebo syndrome." Oh well, at least I planned ahead and wrote down all of my prior settings But those settings are no longer cutting it after this update, and I can't seem to get this thing dialed in to an acceptable level (the TV has looked freakin' OUTSTANDING for the past year), so I hope a factory reset -- or something less Draconian such as the new cable and/or HDMI input swap -- does the trick. Other than that, I guess I just have to wait for another firmware update and see if that helps things look closer to the way they did before.
i too notice a difference in picture after last update at first really love how it pulled in more of a solid black look. but also looked like colors took on a black base as well? still on fence weather or not this is better. would love for rtings to retest this model the same way the ks model are tested with d/c turned on. i think that .033 lux level would be the same as the ks sets. as posted before maybe i am seeing things!!!
post #19456 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
I haven't spent any time (0) with the KS. It is brighter, blacker, has the moth-eye coating,better HDR, newer version of the OS. What's not too like.

Only downside it seems is that the edge lighting is top and bottom not at the sides. Is that really a downside? Again, never looked at one. I needed big and the 78KS was over my budget. I found a hot deal on an open box 78JS8600. It has some edge bleed on the top and bottom, minor. I am happy with it. For SDR content it won't get a lot better a good JS8500 or JS8600. RTINGS.COM ranks the KS9000>KS8000>JS9000>JS8500. I almost bought a 78JS9100 but that was a curved model. There was a hot deal on the Amazon Market Place though that had me on the fence. My problem was is that 78" is not really big enough. Oh well, 4 more years.
DThiel likes this.

Last edited by gtgray; 06-26-2016 at 10:30 PM.
post #19457 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 10:48 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHCCFC View Post
Has anybody experienced issues with YouTube not loading videos? I regularly have to reinstall the YouTube app to get it to play videos again. It's happening literally every day now.

I have read about a few people lately having some trouble with the YouTube app.

As an option, you can view YouTube through the TV's browser.

Richard
post #19458 of 24078 Old 06-26-2016, 11:13 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
I want to be sure I understand. A 4k Blu Ray is UHD. So is WCG and 10 bit color a part of the 4k standard and every 4k disc will have it?

Then you have HDR. Whether a 4k Blu Ray is also HDR or not depends on the content doesn't it? Whether it was shot in HDR or not?

With all the latest new movies also being released in 4k now, I'm trying to decide if I should start making any new purchases in the 4k format and buy a 4k player. From what I understand, both the Samsung and Panasonic players will also play regular Blu Rays, DVD and also Blu Ray 3D. Can anyone verify that they properly decode and display 3D content? I ask because I like 3D and buy movies in that format when I can and a new player would be replacing my current Panasonic 3D Blu Ray player.

I think I've also read that there will be no 4k 3D.

I saw a YT video a while back that explained why 1080P Blu Rays look so good up-scaled on a 4k tv. They really do look great on my 55"er. I've seen the short HDR clips referenced in the forum here and they look fantastic. Is that what you can expect from a 4k UHD HDR Blu Ray?

I guess I need to go see if Best Buy has a display playing 4k UHD HDR Blu Ray content.

Since UHD, WCG, Color Depth (10-bit), and HDR are 4 completely different things (although related), technically speaking a 4K/UHD (2160p) movie/video doesn't necessarily have to include the other "non-resolution related specs".

That being said, so far all current UHD Blu-rays that are either out now or are soon to be released are all 10-bit with WCG and HDR (as far as I know - Ray can always correct me on this). Although HDR (and even WCG) is optional, I don't think we will see any of them with only 8-bit Color Depth. It does largely depend on how the original content was filmed.

No, we will probably never see 4K 3D unfortunately. Although it would look AWESOME (I love 3D as well).

Richard
post #19459 of 24078 Old 06-27-2016, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I'm trying to decide between these two models myself. 55". JS currently selling at $1,099 and KS at $1,399. Trying to figure out if the $300 extra is worth it. I'm mainly interested in sports, movies and watching regular HD television through cable (Comcast). 3D is not important to me. I posted this question in the KS owners thread and a user mentioned his JS set had awful banding and he returned it for a KS and is a happy camper now.
post #19460 of 24078 Old 06-27-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbsyst View Post
Sounds like you got a great deal especially on the HW-J8500. That's a $1300 soundbar. I can't believe what BestBuy is selling it for.
Yes!! Amazon is now offering the tv for $1099, so had I waited I could have saved a bit more. I didn't want to wait though because I've noticed the prices fluctuating on Amazon and I didn't want it to go back up like it has the past few days.

I couldn't believe the price of the soundbar either! That's the top of the line soundbar Samsung offered in 2015. Best Buy has it at the lowest price all other places have it between $600 and $700. I think I got the last one from the store I went to. They have the HW-J7500 on clearance for $399 as well. It seems the 2016 versions are identical, at least I couldn't find a difference, but the names are now HW-J8500R and HW-J7500R.
post #19461 of 24078 Old 06-27-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
The JS8500 is an awesome tv and it includes 3D. There's no 3D on any of the 2016 models. I too saw bad reviews on the 2016 models due to the placement of the LEDs. Amazon currently has great prices on the 55 inch and 48 inch JS8500. Some Best Buy stores still have stock so you can have them price match it. That's what I did yesterday for the 55 inch. Got it for $1109.
DThiel and King Richard like this.
post #19462 of 24078 Old 06-27-2016, 09:53 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to purchase the 48 inch JS8500 this Wednesday. TV will be for the bedroom. Still viewing an older Panny Plasma 65" downstairs and very pleased with it.
King Richard likes this.
post #19463 of 24078 Old 06-27-2016, 10:00 AM

Finally made a decision to go with the JS8500. At $1,099 it was impossible to pass up. I've seen the price as high as $1,160 in the past 3-5 days. RTings ratings for sports and movies helped seal the deal for me. I'm hoping I don't have to end up playing the 'panel lottery' as I've read about on these forums. Very excited to get this thing hooked up. Will have it on Saturday. Coming from a 42" LG LED I purchased for $550 in 2011 this should be a great upgrade.

I'm sure i'll be around these forums more going forward.
post #19464 of 24078 Old 06-27-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstatepkwy View Post
Finally made a decision to go with the JS8500. At $1,099 it was impossible to pass up. I've seen the price as high as $1,160 in the past 3-5 days. RTings ratings for sports and movies helped seal the deal for me. I'm hoping I don't have to end up playing the 'panel lottery' as I've read about on these forums. Very excited to get this thing hooked up. Will have it on Saturday. Coming from a 42" LG LED I purchased for $550 in 2011 this should be a great upgrade.

I'm sure i'll be around these forums more going forward.
AWESOME! I also saw the price fluctuating and yesterday was the lowest I had seen the 55 inch at 1109, so I purchased it before it went back up, but it's actually been going lower lol

From what I've read this particular model only had 1 panel made, directly by Samsung, I think it's TH01.
post #19465 of 24078 Old 06-27-2016, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I've absolutely loved my 55JS8500, but I already do feel the desire to upgrade, for nothing more than the reduced input lag. I've gotten into more competitive gaming again lately, and feel the slight delay on faster-paced titles. Was maybe hoping a magic firmware update would lower the input delay, we'll see? Hopefully it lands before I sell it for way less than it should go for.
post #19466 of 24078 Old 06-27-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2030 View Post
AWESOME! I also saw the price fluctuating and yesterday was the lowest I had seen the 55 inch at 1109, so I purchased it before it went back up, but it's actually been going lower lol

From what I've read this particular model only had 1 panel made, directly by Samsung, I think it's TH01.
Funny thing about this TV- when I first began my search for a new TV I hadn't looked at TVs in many years. I had no idea where to even start. The first one I started to read reviews about was the KU6300. Seemed like a great deal at $899 with 4k and UHD. Then I did some more research and discovered Rtings and this site. What I read about judder and motion blur instantly took that one off the table. For just a couple hundred more than the KU6300, the JS8500 seems like a fantastic deal. Much better set.
dlbsyst and King Richard like this.
post #19467 of 24078 Old 06-27-2016, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Funny thing about this TV- when I first began my search for a new TV I hadn't looked at TVs in many years. I had no idea where to even start. The first one I started to read reviews about was the KU6300. Seemed like a great deal at $899 with 4k and UHD. Then I did some more research and discovered Rtings and this site. What I read about judder and motion blur instantly took that one off the table. For just a couple hundred more than the KU6300, the JS8500 seems like a fantastic deal. Much better set.
It was the best flat panel set Samsung produced in 2015. It has an absolutely amazing picture in 2d and 3d and even looks great turned off.
gardenstatepkwy likes this.
post #19468 of 24078 Old 06-27-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonezorz View Post
I've absolutely loved my 55JS8500, but I already do feel the desire to upgrade, for nothing more than the reduced input lag. I've gotten into more competitive gaming again lately, and feel the slight delay on faster-paced titles. Was maybe hoping a magic firmware update would lower the input delay, we'll see? Hopefully it lands before I sell it for way less than it should go for.
You can notice the lag with game mode on? It's about 36ms with game mode on. I don't do competitive gaming, but 36ms is pretty low. I know there's TVs in 20 range, but 36 isn't bad.
post #19469 of 24078 Old 06-27-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Good thing you didn't go for the KU6300. That's one of their low end 2016 models. There is no comparison to the JS8500. Always research before jumping on electronics. You probably would have been disappointed with the KU6300.
post #19470 of 24078 Old 06-27-2016, 02:20 PM

So I've spent the last couple of hours reading through the history of this thread trying to absorb as much information before the TVs arrival as possible so I can be prepared and get right into watching the thing.

I noticed several posts from about a year ago mentioning HDMI cable types. My current cables are "High speed" HDMI 1.4 cables. Will these give me the full 4k experience without hiccups (barring any problems with the source of the signal) or do I need the HDMI 2.0 cables?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page